Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• flxomacflxomac Member Posts: 13
    Since I am not a car guy, I cannot accurately diagnose this problem, so if anyone can help, it will be much appreciated:

I have 5500 mi on the van, delivered 10/01.

So far on two occaisons, several weeks apart:

making a turn, hear the engine suddenly rev up, then I lose power in the steering, and brakes seem to lose power. Van comes to a stop, I shift to Park, then back to Drive. On my way.

Stopped at a light, engine suddenly revs up, my foot still on the brake, but van inches up anyway. I quickly put van into Park, revving disappears, I then put it back to Drive. On my way.

Thank god my wife was not at the wheel, she may not have reacted as quickly! I will need to have a dealer look into this, but has anyone else have similar experience on their 2002?? I feel like I'm living on borrowed time, each time I drive this thing!
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Your problem sounds like something you should report at this site: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

rockycow
  • plannermom1plannermom1 Member Posts: 1
    We were so excited to pick up our RRP EX-L on Valentine's Day after months of anticipation and research. Now, a few weeks and 1,500 miles later we have begun to have a problem that really concerns us. It is really hard to exactly explain well, but I'm going to try.

Several times, while driving between 35-40 mph, the van has appeared to briefly lose power or hesitate. The first time it happened, it felt really jerky, like my husband was depressing the accelerator and then quickly letting up. It just started doing this Saturday, and has occurred three times since then.

So does anyone have ideas or suggestions as to what this might be? Should I take it back to the dealer to see if they can figure out what is wrong? The only problem with that would be that the closest dealer is over an hour away (would have to take off from work) and the problem doesn't occur every time you drive it. Could it cause damage to it if we continue driving it?

Thanks in advance!
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    I am no mechanic, but from the paper trail aspect, I would take it in and have it assessed. Nice to have a paper trail (ie. documentation of problem). Do they have Saturday hours?
  • rjc8rjc8 Member Posts: 16
    Is it really worth getting an extended warranty on the Odyssey? Honda is really known for their realibility so is an extended warranty necessary? Is there anyone who was over the 36000 mile mfrs warranty and purchased an extended warranty who has acutally used it?
  • rjc8rjc8 Member Posts: 16
    Is there anywhere I can go for instructions on installing teh Donelly Mirror? Would like to know how difficult it is and where I can find visual instructions. How does the original mirror detach from the windshield? Does it just pull down or is there a spring that must be released first? Tried to pull down and it seems to just want to stay put.
  • wellphytwellphyt Member Posts: 28
    The check engine light just came on. I have a 99EX with 45,000 miles. I called Honda and they said it is an emission problem. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thank you.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I haven't but it could mean anything from a dirty air cleaner, to the gas cap being loose, or something major. What I'm saying is what anybody tells you may not be your problem. Best thing to do is have it hooked up to a computer so they can read the code.
  • Plastic19Plastic19 Member Posts: 6
    Has anybody experienced the following:

On start up the RPMS jump up to about 2,000RPMs. Over about a minutes time the idle creeps down to around 700RPMs. Then the idle goes up and down steadily between 700 and 900 RPMs. You can hear the engine speeding up a little then backing off over and over again. It's like when you turn the air conditioner on and the compressor kicks on and off. Except it keeps happening in 10 second cycles. This happens weather the vehicle is warm or cold.

One time, after a long road trip when I put the van in park, the idle was jumping between 900 and 1,400 RPMs.

My wife took the car to the dealer but they said that they could not replicate the problem. It does not seem to affect the performance much. The only problem is when you don't have your foot on the break hard enough. When it idles up, the breaks can loose their grip. I'm going to try to get the car to dealer again soon.

Anybody have any clue as to what the problem might be? I would like to have an idea of what I am talking about when I go to the dealer.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    dmathews3 is correct that you need to have the computer code read. However, most likely Honda is also right. They issued a recall for EGR system on these models. I took my '99 Ody in yesterday (at 48K) with check engine light on. Problem was, in fact, the EGR and it was repaired at no charge.
  • keithrichmondkeithrichmond Member Posts: 35
    Ok, so at one warranty service date late last year we had them replace the light in the clock of our 2000 LX as it was working intermittently. Since then it seems our clock light has one setting - dim. I just took the van in for the final warranty-period service and mentioned that the clock light was dim but was told that there was only one bulb and if it worked it wasn't a problem...

Here's my question - could someone check their clock light and tell me A) if their light is the same brightness as the backlighting on the odometer, and B) if it dims to a lower level when the lights are turned on.

Ours is neither A or B.

thanks,
    Keith
  • wellphytwellphyt Member Posts: 28
    Took it in today. It is the ERG system. Will be repaired at no charge.
  • skubesskubes Member Posts: 19
    Stranger than keith's dim clock light, mine went out 6 months ago. Suddenly, 1 month ago it came back on and has been fine since. This is more worrisome than a burned out bulb - electrical problem? Not having it looked at any time soon since I'm out of warranty and just spent $1000 on a new transmission 2 weeks ago. Let us know if the source of your problem is ever found keith.
    sounds like a loose bulb. Have you checked it out. Not that hard. I'm sure someone here could tell you how as it has been done many times.
  • avatexrsavatexrs Member Posts: 1
    Just returned from taking my wife's '00 Odyssey on a road trip. The sliding doors drove me nuts -- the right door (but not the left) would beep once the car was put in drive and would go off only if I turned the switch located on the left side of the dashboard to the off position. If I did that, the sliding doors couldn't be opened from the outside and the remote wouldn't work with any of the doors. What's the latest on the problems with the sliding doors?
    Have you cleaned the contacts on the doors? Also the eraser end of a pencil works real good for cleaning the contacts again after using a cleaner on them.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    The latest improvements for the doors work really well. If done correctly the improvements include new junction switches that have a larger surface as well as stronger spring tension. You can even sometimes talk them into putting a latch assembly in on the side that is not fully closing if it is due to a faulty closer motor. This is covered for the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, as well as it possibly can be one of those occasions where they can extend good will if you are just out of warranty. Good luck
  • jnash2jnash2 Member Posts: 31
    What model year does the new fix apply to?
    there is a fix for the manual doors on 98-01 that gets new rear door gaskets and subseal and a power door fix for 98-01 that gets updated junction switches and adjustments.. These corrections are intended for cars with actual problems with the doors . If they are not broken then repairs should not be attemted..You really do not want to install problems on working doors.
  • doepeldoepel Member Posts: 20
    Does the power door fix for 01 include new door gaskets and subseals? As is, I have to heavily lube the existing gaskets and seals about once a month with silicone spray to minimize door rattling. I've been hoping Honda would come out with a better design and would like to get mine replaced if the new design is superior in preventing these annoying rattles.
  • mrdasumrdasu Member Posts: 3
    Have burned out pixels in different places. From pinpoint to 2 mm, I see dots on the display.
    The 2 mm dot is bright blue and covers the picture.

I noticed it on the day I brought my van home, little more than 2 weeks ago. Honda Corp. told me that it is a acceptable characteristic and not a defect, so the display will not be replaced.
    Any similar experiences, comments, suggestions ?
    The new gaskets are for the LX model and are to cure a sticking door problem. Door rattles are usaly not the seals but since your goes away with lube then it must be related some how. I will try and look up info on it and see if I can find any. If I do I will re-post. Just for good search results is yours an LX(manual doors) or EX(power doors).
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Has any one installed a Sun Roof in an Ody(99-2002)? If so what kind? POP UP or Slide?
    Thanks DCH
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Although I don't have any current problems on my 2001 EX doors (or anything else for that matter), I for one really appreciate your "Honda Service" updates. Ya never know when they may come in handy!

Phil
  • jguarfnjguarfn Member Posts: 5
    Our 2000 Odyssey has 34,900 miles on it and few problems but as we fast approach the no-way-out 36,000 mile deadline something has turned up that I haven't seen on the postings. When we make low speed turns in the parking lots there is a thumping coming from the wheelwells in front. It seems to be getting more pronounced as time goes by and having owned a CVCC Civic for 13 years it sounds similar to what happened just before a drive boot blew out. She described it to the dealer last oil change but they didn't find anything. I think that it will be going back for another check this week, but if anybody has had a similar experience let me know.

Thanx
    Jguarfn (the nfl team not the car)
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    If you have mud flaps, take the fronts off and try it.
  • btennbtenn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000EX with 52,000 miles and recently took it to the dealer due to "check engine" light. I was informed by the dealer that I needed a new transmission. Unfortunately I did not purchase the extended warranty and almost fainted when I was told the new transmission would cost $5150.00 (this is less $700.00 rebate because the core was still good). The van has had all of its service, as suggested. Is it normal that a transmission would need to be replaced after 50,000 miles?
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    There have been many posts on this. Sometimes (like with me) Honda pays for the R&R - the transmission apparently is prone to premature failure. Other times, there's a negotiation on the price. Raise a ruckus and make them pay as much as you can.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    See Center for Auto Safety link on Honda's use of secret warranties:

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/HONDA.htm

• doepeldoepel Member Posts: 20
    Mine is an 01 EX. I'm also wondering whether the stronger springs used with the switches in the new junction box help to reduce door movement and thereby reduce rattling.
  • duyenanhusaduyenanhusa Member Posts: 5
    There is a SB on this problem during braking and accelerating. The problem is the suspension bolts are not torque correctly causing the suspension to move. This might be applicable in your case too. I left the SB at work so I will post it in detail tomorrow nite. Auburn can you beat me to this?
    Glad to try and help out when possible.So your welcome.....

As for the doors the stronger juction plate springs will not reduce door movement but the door adjustments themselves are supposed to do that. If you can grab the front lower edge of the slidding door(front door open,slidder closed) and move it in and out then it needs to be tighted up and will reduce door noises. Rattles also are sometimes caused by the inside door handle itself so hold it also and see if it goes away when and if you have a noise.

I don't recall that bulletin for the suspension bolts causing a noise but now I will have to check it out.Mschafer was having a noise from the front. Thanks :)
  • mrdasumrdasu Member Posts: 3
    2 weeks ago, paid $1400 for extended warranty for 2002 odyssey EX-L with DVD res, in FLORIDA.

Does warranty price differ depending on the state?
    Does it differ depending on the equipments in the van ?

Any one in FL, any idea for warranty price ?
    In other state ?
    Thanks.
    I hate to tell you this but they seen you coming. The going price for the 7/100/0 HONDACARE warranty from different dealers here is $895. Yes you can buy it from any dealer, any state. Your dealer took advantage of you. I would go back to him and cancel it right now and then call one of the many dealers who people have said have it for the $895 and go that route. You may even be able to shame your dealer into giving you back the difference and not have to cancel it.
    Thanks cccompson & pluto5 for the info. pluto5, can you please specify what "Center" should I see to view the auto safety link. I am very interested in seeing these secret warranties. Thanks again.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IIRC some people have posted here before that the state of Florida has some sort of consumer law that prevents dealers from discounting warranties. You may want to confirm that.

As for discounted prices, there are plenty of Honda dealers selling the HondaCare for under $1000. Read through the Ody topics and I am sure you will find something.

Good Luck.
  • skubesskubes Member Posts: 19
    Had my transmission replaced 3 weeks ago on 99LX with 55,000 miles. Price was quoted as $4700. At our insistence from reading this site, dealer contacted Honda regional and they agreed to pay 80% to our 20%. We ended up paying a little over $1000. Others have gotten them free or other various co-pays. That inconsistency makes Honda look bad in my opinion. It makes meek and mild people like me feel taken advantage of.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    If you can get past the fact that a transmission should not fail at 55,000 miles, the fact that Honda picked up 80% on a 55,000 mile transmission makes them look good to me. It's the dealer that's the problem. 80% payment on a pro-rata basis indicates that Honda think the transmission ought to have a life of 275,000 miles assuming you are not one of the unlucky ones. To me that's not too shabby.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    You can't see the secret warranties or they wouldn't be a secret (sorry for the gallows humor). But the Center for Auto Safety has evidence that they exist or I'm sure Honda attorneys would have put them out of business by now. Read the following link entitled Dear Honda Owner:

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/HONDA.htm

• cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    You can't see the secret warranties or they wouldn't be a secret (sorry for the gallows humor). But the Center for Auto Safety has evidence that they exist or I'm sure Honda attorneys would have put them out of business by now. Read the following link entitled Dear Honda Owner:

What would be very helpful to people with major problems is actual information, not wild speculation.

If you have any TSB numbers from Honda about the Odyssey that contain the phrase mentioned by the CAS, please post them.

Thanks!
  • gigglesirgigglesir Member Posts: 1
    Bummed! I've read message here about tran. prob. in reverse. I have 30+K on my 2000 LX and have heard/felt this clunk when in reverse. Matters not if I'm on incline or flat road. First thought I was going over a small rock in my driveway. Then it was happening everywhere I went, but always in reverse. Then it decreased. I took it to dealer but like pain at the dentist, it would not occur while there. Now 2 wks later I take it back for the 30K service. I express my concern that the clunk still occurs and since I'm nearing end of warranty I want it taken care of.
    At end of service check, I'm told I need a new transmission. Honda will put a rebuilt one in at no cost to me. The rebuilt will only have a 1 yr. 12 mo. warranty.
    No cost is welcome and expected of course, but my gripe is, the love story is over for me. Why would a car of such reliable repute have tranny probs. like this? Why hasn't a recall been sent out?
    I have noticed the latest consumer reports shows decrease in their reliability ratings for the Odyssey. Are these tran probs the reason?
    Should I be contacting anyone other than Honda about this issue?
  • rfoxnerfoxne Member Posts: 4
    I have a rattle coming from the sliding door inside handle on my 99 ex. How do you remove the handle, and what do you do to eliminate the rattle?

Thanks.
    You can use a snall screw driver or pick to get the spring clip off then pull the handle off. I use strip caulk on the splines but tape should work also then slide the handle back on with the clip already in it place. It will snap on..
  • duyenanhusaduyenanhusa Member Posts: 5
    Ok. Here is the SB. I am just copying directly.

CLUNK OR THUMP FROM THE FRONT FLOOR: 00-01 ODYSSEY

On all 99-00 Odysseys, and 01 Odysseys thru VIN 2HKRL18651H555625, insufficient clamping of the rear mounting bolt on the front suspension lower control arm can cause a clunk or thump from the front floor when you brake or accelerate briskly. Insufficient clamping happens if the thread friction is too high while the mounting bolt is tightened.

To fix the problem, loosen then torque the rear mounting bolt on each lower control arm to 122Nm(90lb-ft). Test-drive vehicle to make sure the noise is gone. If the noise is gond, return the vehicle to your customer. If the noise is still there, hook up a Chassis EAR diagnostic too (T/N JSP-SM06600), and continue with normal troubleshooting.
    Thanks for all of the responses. I have been informed that my cost after the DM's Goodwill contribution is $1121.55. Although my husband feels that there should be no cost at all, I am more inclined to pay this amount as opposed to over $5,000. I have also logged a complaint with the Center for Auto Safety. I will continue to update the Town Hall. Bianca
  • jnash2jnash2 Member Posts: 31
    When I hit the brakes for the first time in either direction I get a clunk. The brakes seem to be moving. After the first braking in either direction there is no noise. Any one else have this problem. Is there a fix? TIA
  • carlton_bcarlton_b Member Posts: 2
    After looking, I haven't noticed anyone commenting on the 98 Odyssey. I am considering purchasing one as I cannot afford anything newer. Does anyone have any information on this year model? Any info would be helpful

Thanks Carlton
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Yes, I have this problem too. The service dealers (2 different ones) said that there was no fix. I'll keep looking around and will post any new finds.
  • olcayolcay Member Posts: 2
    Since day one sliding doors on my Odyssey LX are rattling on rough roads. I took it the dealer at least 4-5 times and each time they replaced this and that and each time it got worse. Now it sounds like a 30 year old school bus on rough roads. Service manager at my dealer said there is nothing he can do anymore. Another dealer claimed honda has a service bulletin for this problem but they did not have the number. I will call them back to get the number. I am waiting to talk to honda rep. in a couple of weeks about the problem.

Did anybody get this problem fixed?

Thanks,

Olcay Boz
    There is no Honda fix available as they say this movement is normal and will not hurt anything. However it is annoying to say the least, so if you want to fix it or minimize it all you have to do is remove the front pads, spray some disc brake quiet on the back of the pads(shim side) and reinstall. The disc brake quiet sticks to the caliper and slows or stops the movement and the noise is gone. Been doing this for years and it has worked fairly well with no side affects..
This discussion has been closed.