Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's certainly one way for a Subaru to stand out, especially in the snow belt, where Subies are a dime a dozen.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    are 3 yellow Baja's at the Libertyville, IL Subie dealer near me. One MT, one AT, not sure what the other was.

To me, this seems like they think yellow will sell well.

-Brian
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    The dealer said that no one likes the color. Most are interested in a silver if they order one. And so far he says they have sold zero Bajas. I was surprised to hear a salesman say that.
  • ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    fidogrey,
    If you're considering getting the lift kit from ISR, you should do a search on i-club about people's experiences with them. I don't want to discourage you from getting it, but I regret not doing my research on vendors before buying things from them.

I came to this forum specifically to find out how the wires are run to the roof mounted lights, and it looks like I found my answer before even posting the questions. So there's a whole drilled into the roof to run the lights for the lights? What about if you take the lights off, are there wires still sticking up out of the roof? Is the hole sealed around the wires? I used to have some lights up there, but I had to run the wires through the sunroof, but there was too much wind noise.
  • subarusalessubarusales Member Posts: 1
    that salesman is correct....the yellow isn't as popular as the aother three colors. But to say that he would have to order you a silver one if you wanted one is wrong. I sell them in Spokane, WA. there are silver ones out there and black and red.
    Maybe the yellow ones are sitting in dealer lots because the other colors sell quicker?

-juice
  • fishingyakfishingyak Member Posts: 6
    I bought the silver one. Just got back from the East Mojave Scenic Area. I think it actually looks better with dust on it. :)

Four people, heavy load of camping gear, 80 MPH, 25.5 MPG.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    25.5 mpg eh? Not bad, but I dont know what Im gonna do when I retire my 02 VW Golf TDI. Best $16k I ever spent. 48 MPG traveling at 70-80 mph with air on!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Just a reminder that every Thursday you can join the Subaru Crew for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... We had a great turnout last week, but there's always room for more, so stop by and join in this week! Hope to see you there!!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    but still nowhere near what they need to be to match SOA's projected annual sales for this year. I believe Subaru has sold around 1400 Bajas in Sept. & Oct., and they hoped to sell 20K this year. Maybe, as the word gets out, things will pick up (or, maybe they won't)...

Bob

http://www.media.subaru.com./

* = Select "Releases" link.

C&D's 0-60 was quicker than the Explorer Sport Trac, quicker than the Frontier Super Charged, even quicker than the last Forester they sampled!

Their photo was photochopped, I wonder if Subaru will sue them for that.

881 Bajas in October. That's not good, new models should be in high demand. I think they may have missed by putting too much standard equipment (and price) in them.

-juice
    not enough standard equipment like: dual-range tranny, self-levelling rear suspension, "real" switchback/mid-gate, H-6/supercharged 2.5, etc.

They need to sell 1667 a month to make 20K a year. Ain't gonna' happen...

Bob
    That pace is a lot slower than the Aztek. Ouch. Though Pontiac has about 1 billion dealers. It's about as many Axioms as Isuzu was selling.

They had better reconfigure it quickly, maybe even make it a mid-year change, a 2003.5 model.

Adding the H6 and the stuff you want might help a little, if the price doesn't get too out of hand, but I really believe a lesser equipped model would sell more briskly.

Plus, Subaru isn't going to invest any more if doesn't think the Baja will succeed. So do the "Value" model first, with:

* 16" steel wheels from the Forester X
    * drop the leather
    * drop the heated seats + LSD, or make it a separate $400 AWP
    * drop the cladding, make it look like Outback

Then knock $2 grand off the MSRP at least.

-juice
    But I do agree about the cladding. If the Baja had the same cladding that the Outback has (maybe in silver to differentiate the two), it would look 100% better than it does now. And, yeah, a high-value/bottom-feeder model should be included too.

Bob
    that when Subaru does well in terms of sales, SOA promotes it on the first page of their media site. When they do poorly, like this month (down 3%), you have to search* the site for the sales news.

* = it's under "releases."

Bob
    I think their lineup has improved, it's just that there is far more AWD competition now.

In one way or another, each Subie competes with these newly available AWD models:

OBS: Matrix, Vibe, Aerio
    Forester: Outlander, Vue
    Outback: Rendezvous, Jag X Type, V70 AWD

Baja is all new but it has to compete with Element for the attention of Gen Y.

And if you look at how many new wagons are offered, the list gets longer. Subaru had the AWD wagon market almost to itself, not so any more.

-juice
    This will be interesting to watch: Element vs. Baja, in terms of sales. They're both going after the same audience, in many cases.

Bob
    Yeah, but when you're talking about a trendy vehicle it's much easier to sustain sales when you're talking $20k average prices vs. $23k or so.

It's received similar criticism - too heavy, not enough engine, too much cladding. I bet the lower price alone (yes, with less content, but still) will ensure it sells better.

-juice
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Geez, Subara is already fixing a transmission problem with these things? Yeesh.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    On the contrary - it's just that these batches of transmissions noted in the recall are suspect of weaker park rods. The transmission, gears, etc. are fine.

The 4EAT has been used for years in Subies and is pretty robust.

-Brian
  • skiweeskiwee Member Posts: 28
    A lot of discussion has been devoted to color, equpment, pricing, marketing strategy, wish lists, etc. Could some of you owners provide a personal review of your Baja, i.e., likes, dislikes, driving tips, vehicle quirks, etc. I'm sure a lot of readers would find that information useful.
    Mike
    The tranny has been around for ages, it was just a coincidence that a problem crept up now. Less than 800 are affected. I still say the auto is very robust and reliable.

Good idea, Mike. How does it handle when you push it? How's the steering? How's the ride over pot holes, and the structure overall? You happy with the tire selection? Body roll, brake dive and squat?

-juice
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    I went to check out a Baja today. I really like it but as the conversation here suggests, it is too cost prohibitive right now. I am amazed at the standard features. I too wish they offered an entry level Baja without all of the standard options. I can live without leather seats, moonroof, all power, and cruise control. The salesman told me they were having real trouble selling them. He told me to keep in touch as Subaru "might" be doing something to move them within the next month or two. It's too bad that they are off to such a slow start as the Baja is a really unique vehicle.
    Moonroof, that was the other thing. Not heated seats.

Just things that could be deleted for a "value" model.

I say replace perforated leather with cloth, alloys with steelies, and delete the moonroof. Those 3 could take prices to near $20 grand without even incentives.

-juice
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    on Saturday. I was told that the H6 is definitely coming next year for the Baja as an additional model (option?). As on the OB LL Bean & VDC, it will only be offered w/an automatic. The maroon Baja in the showroom had the optional tonneau cover. About a third of it from the rear window back is hard plastic and screwed on to bed. The remaininng 2/3 is a snap-on vinyl cover. The cost of the cover, along w/the overhead lights on the luggage rack was $1500.

Stephen
    $1500? Ouch. MSRP I hope?

An H6 option sounds good, but I still say the volume is in the $20k price range, not above current prices.

-juice
    I think that the cover should either be all hard or all soft, not in-between.

I also remember being told that the parts mgr was down in CA at some parts seminar and saw a canopy for the Baja. He was thinking about having it available through their dealership. My salesguy and I laughed at this prospect combo and suggested getting ....drumroll please....an OB for less money. :-)

Stephen
    on Friday juice. Will let you know my driving impressions. Will be driving to New Milford,Ct from New Jersey dealer. Lots of twisting country roads. $1500 for the cover!!! How about I throw a tarp on the back...
    Mike
  • paulmcgpaulmcg Member Posts: 14
    I bought something called a "TrukSak" for about $30.
    Its sort of a heavy vinyl pouch that holds about 7cf. I had to get a little creative in attaching it since it was made for pickups where the bed is seperate from the body, I ended up putting a crossbar at the front of the bed behind the chrome bars and looping it over that. It rolls up when not in use and leaves the switchback and everything else accessible. And its black, so it matches the bed.

Paul.
    Stephen: that's funny. I had considered getting a crew cab with a cap instead of an SUV, for the same reason - they cost less. Back then, anyway, nowadays even compact crew cabs easily hit $26-30k.

But they drove like trucks. I tried my buddy's Dakota and a Nissan. Brutes, both of them.

Mike: now you're talking. A tarp costs, what, $10?

Paul: sounds crafty. I love solutions like that. Did you get any pics? If so I can host them for you. Also, do you have a link to any on-line stores that might have it?

-juice
    I will try and get a few photos soon. I bought the TrukSak through www.boombuy.com/abilizer/, I have access through work. I have not been able to find it anywhere else on the web, but it is made by Superex. I did find their site, but could not see the TrukSak there. You would probably need to look in one of the auto magazines or something.

Paul.
    "three people could fit"

How exactly could they accomplish that, given there is no center seat or belt? LOL

-juice
    the cars they're testing! He must not have turned around and looked at the back seat of the Baja...
    Mike
    I bet some never drove it, or just took it for a quick spin and never even looked at the back seat.

-juice
    LOL...I know, I loved that comment! If I were he, I'd be embarrassed or at least become some other kind of writer/reviewer rather than an automobile one. Sorry, I don't have a lot of patience for those that get paid to critique items that they don't even take the initiative or time to become familiar with.

Stephen
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    I really like Soobies. I really do. Used to have an Impreza Outback Sport. Loved it. I really think Subarua needs to re-think its strategy with regards to pricing. Like others, I agree the Baja is expensive. A model close to $20k would do a lot for it. We are all dreaming if we think the Element is in competition with the Baja. Watch how many Elements Honda sells. It will leave the Baja in its dust. Just like the CRV is thrashing the Forester, sales wise. Shame really.
    Honda is much bigger than Subaru and has much more visibility and dealers.

I honestly believe Honda could sell a pet rock with wheels and people would get on a wait list to buy it. Anything with the "H" badge will sell.

But people aren't happy about the equipment levels - even A/C isn't standard on the DX. So they're gonna be selling more EX models, probably for Baja-level pricing.

-juice
    It's a shame Subaru didn't use the restraint shown here on the Malaysian Proton Ute, in terms of cladding. If, for example, they had just used the cladding from the Outback, the result would have been much more positive.

Bob

http://www.auto-asia.com/viewcontent.asp?pk=7659

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Yep, much cleaner. But the case model should have cladding on the lower doors.

I like it when you see a line around the whole car at the same height. Like the Grand Cherokee and Forester have it. Those are the two best uses of body cladding.

-juice
    Great documentation! Thanks, and keep up the good work! :)

Bob
    Cool, pictures are worth a thousand words.

I was expecting a tonneau cover for some reason.

You did a great color match. The bar blends right in. Is it wood or metal? Looks like wood but I can't tell for sure.

-juice
  • kyrazykyrazy Member Posts: 6
    I did it. After stealthing here for months and checking out Pauls page. Thanks again Paul for the great pictures and information.

I bought my Silver Baja, 5 speed. Got it for just $150 over invoice and got a great deal on my trade in.

The first thing I did was to go to the feed store and get horse feed. Gosh I love the little bed!

Drove it to work today (San Diego). I almost caused accidents! Everyone was looking at it! Every time I stop - at a light or whatever - someone asks, "What kind of car is that?"

Too fun! I thought I'd miss my V6 but not at all. The little Baja climbs the big hills in 5th gear and accelerates easily the whole way!

I'm only sorry I waited this long.
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Congratulations on your new ride, I'm sure you will continue to enjoy it, and even gain new appreciation as time goes on.

And nice to see another San Diegan in the mix here too!

I'll look out for the silver Baja with the happy driver. Haven't yet seen any on the road, perhaps you'll be ther first.

S
    Congratulations, sounds like its coming in handy already.

BTW, that back-and-forth thing at 30-40mph goes away at about 500 miles (in case you've experienced it)?

You must have gotten the $1500 on your trade-in you wanted, or did you just say "what the heck" and took what they gave you?
    If you want the measurements to any of my home-made (wooden) accessories just let me know.

Paul.
    Congrats Kyrazy! My favorite color.

So you own horses? I take it this will be used on a farm a lot?

In a way, it's uniqueness is sort of cool. I hated it when Forester became abundant.

Just one correction: H6, not V6. Boxers only!

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Sine my assumption is that we'll all be asleep from that stuff in the turkey NEXT week...LOL

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Just a reminder that every Thursday you can join the Subaru Crew for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... We had a great turnout last week, but there's always room for more, so stop by and join in this week! Hope to see you there!!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• kyrazykyrazy Member Posts: 6
    First Juice - I meant I wondered if I'd miss the V6 I had in my last car. Love the H4 I got - neat design. No, it won't be a farm truck. We have horses but they're stabled :-( It will be used to haul feed bags, and an occasional load of hay (when our big supplier is late delivering, we help out by picking up some at the local feed store) I've already figured out it will haul 4 bales - no problem! Other loads it will have to carry - our two dogs 60+ pounds each and their food!

Anyone figure out how to lock the bed extender in the bed? I don't mean normal operation - I mean to keep someone from deciding they need it more than I do. My buddy has a Nissan Frontier with the extender - he doesn't worry though because his tailgate locks. About the only thing I can think of right now is to put a bike cable through it and the rear cargo tie downs. That sure would look tacky though. Does anyone know if Subaru is going to make the tailgate lockable?

I'm looking for a dash cover as well. Are the interiors of the Baja and Impreza the same? Can I get a dash cover for the 03 Impreza as I have yet to see anything listed for the Baja.

Got to go enjoy my horses
    Kyrazy