Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• I'm considering the Baja and I wanted to know about the visibility while driving. Rearward, frontward, and any major blind spot problems. Also,is it easy to see behind you when you are backing up or leaving a parking spot?

I'm hoping the Baja Sport will be available with the turbo...but if not the price will hopefully be very attractive.
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,264
    but I stayed in Holiday Inn :-)

On my loaner Baja, I found visibility very good. I could see the upper edge of tailgate in the rear view mirror, and it helped me when backing up. It was 1st time in my life when I had to backup in pickup, and seeing tailgate's edge was really helpful.

Front view is very good. Side view seemed normal. Actually, being a bit lower than Forester, Baja was better in letting me see small cars in side lanes. On Forester, it sometimes hard to see a low-sitting sports car on your side.

Side mirrors seemed okay, but for towing you may perhaps want a bit bigger ones. Rear view mirror was okay too, fully sufficient, but if you want, you can always upgrade it to a bigger one, via aftermarket.
  • Great, thanks a lot. This is very helpful. I'm trying to decide between the Forester and Baja (maybe the Element too but it's ugly and costly with options). The Forester has a lot of neat little storage places and I really like the interior and big moonroof. However the Baja just seems like more fun and useful for dirty situations. Baja also looks much better up close than in pictures...especially in silver.

Thanks again for your input.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Let us know what you end up with. The turbos should be in dealers by June or so.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    rarely photograph well. I think every Subie offered looks better in person, than in photographs.

Bob
  • Over at NASIOC there is word that the Baja Sport is going to price out at $22k-23k. If the difference is that small at $1-2k then the regular Baja is just fine...however if they will sell for invoice that might be another story. No leather, no power seats, and different headlights would knock off more money than that you would think. Hmmm, oh well.
    I'm hoping we see prices at $20k or so at fitzmall.com. And they could still delete things like the moonroof and alloys. It *is* supposed to be a utility vehicle, after all.

-juice
    for Subaru to lower the price of the Baja is to raid their existing parts bin. That means nothing that involves costly re-designing. Removing the moonroof would cost more in terms of manufacturing (you would need a new roof die), than it would save in the long run, because it's an engineering change. So what you see are easy bolt-on items that already exist.

Hence: Headlights, black door handles and black outside mirrors from the Legacy L. Think of the Baja much like the Legacy L-SE in terms of content.

Bob
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    seem to add about 100 lbs to Subarus.

OK, lower the price and come out with many, many ingenious accessories (as Kate mentioned). Make money the way gameboy does.

Saw a yellow one yesterday. I think I like it. Would probably go with yellow (since it is funky anyway) or silver to offset lower cladding.

Greg
  • http://www.snugtop.com/p_snuglid.htm

Scroll to the middle of the page

Dave
  • Actually, only scroll down a little :o}

http://www.snugtop.com/p_snuglid.htm

D
  • Here's the note I received from Subaru:

"I apologize for the delay in getting back to you regarding a hard bed cover for the 2003 Baja. Your patience is appreciated.

I have been advised that two aftermarket companies should soon be offering hard bed covers for the 2003 Baja. These lockable hard top covers are not genuine Subaru accessories and Subaru is not in a position to endorse or recommend them. Therefore, it is up to potential purchasers to satisfy themselves that the covers meet their quality, safety, performance and other needs. Subaru cannot assume responsibility for any failure of these covers to perform properly or to meet purchasers' expectations.

The first is a lockable hard bed cover manufactured by Penda. It is a stylish way to protect your gear. Gas filled struts allow for easy opening and trouble-free loading. This one-piece cover is easily removed to carry tall or oversized items. The other lockable hard bed cover is manufactured by SNUGTOP. It features a two-piece removable design. Gas struts raise the rear section for easy access. This cover is color coded to the Baja exterior for a custom look.

The vendors will only sell the covers directly to dealers. They will not sell direct to customers. Potential customers must go to the Subaru dealer of their choice. The dealer can then order the cover for them. Since these are not genuine Subaru products, Subaru dealers are not obligated to stock or order these and some may choose not to do so. Pricing is strictly between the dealer and the customer. Subaru of America has no recommended retail price on these covers as they are not Subaru of America items and are not purchased by Subaru of America.

I have been advised that these companies should soon begin to manufacture and offer these covers. Please contact your local Subaru dealer sometime towards the end of next month for updated information.

While we cannot endorse these products, we hope that they will fulfill the needs of some of our Baja owners. I hope that this information is helpful."
  • It might be worth the trouble to contact a SNUGTOP or Penda dealer too.
    Subaru will soon offer their own version too. As far as I'm concerned, a hard locking cover is the only way to go.

Bob
    Is it, though? The Lincoln Blackwood had one standard, and it sold so poorly they cancelled it within a year.

It does look neat, but I'd like to have some way of removing it and storing it while still being able to carry tall cargo.

-juice
    failed for lots of reasons. The cargo cap wasn't one of them, IMO.

What I meant by that was, if you are going to have a cargo cap, by all means make it a hard locking cap, and not a soft tonneau cover that offers little in the way of security.

Bob
    Actually, there was a lot of criticism regarding how much that cap limited cargo capacity. Lincoln tried to pitch it as a luxury sedan with a trunk, but people thought it killed the utility.

It basically has to be easy to remove, preferably with a place to store it (on board).

-juice
    Yes, sort of. My old neighbor Pete has one, and those are a little cumbersome, but worth the hassle. I'd like to see an even more elegant solution.

How 'bout a semi-rigid cover that rolled out and over the bed? They should be creative.

-juice