Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    my wife took her escape on it's longest road trip. it probably about 200 miles round trip(2 passenger 1 way, 4 plus luggage on return). the fill up included normal commuting too. 23.1 mpg, it's highest ever. v6 is rated at 23 mpg on the highway.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    again in my region CRV's are more option for option. I will list again in todays paper what is available. . If you want phone numbers please e-mail me. Anyone who has actually shopped the car market knows, Honda dealerships don't deal. You pay or you walk.
    Damerow Ford, 1 example 2005 Escape XLS 4WD VIN#D51577, $18,325.
    Thomason Honda 2WD LX Element $17,499
    Courtesy Ford 2005 Escape Limited 4x4 $22,379.76 #E48163 "11 more to choose from"
    Landmark Ford Limited Escape 4x4 $24,535, XLT 4x4 sport $21,725, another at 22,281, XLT 4x4 V6 $20, 929.. They have a pretty sizeable list here in the paper with mulitple listings to choose from.
    2005 CRV LX 2WD for $19,188! This is at Ron Tonkin Honda 2 to choose from Want VIN's? e-mail me an let me know or phone #'s. I may have crossed the line already giving Dealership names.. Choice is nice and Ford offers more choices, Trim levels and colors than Honda does also...

It may be region specific, but in majority of places Hondas are negotiable. Most people, skilled in negotiations get their Hondas at or bellow invoice. Check prices paid board.
    I believe you have a bad source for prices. Paid 23,045 for 2005 Limited with sunroof, with 6-CD changer 9 days ago (Atlanta, GA). Hondas are good cars, but the lack of a V-6, leather options sent me to the Escape. Could not be happier!

The only thing CR-V does not have is V6, leather is available in the SE trim.
    Here is a list of things Escape does not have:
    Vehicle stability control
    Drive by wire
    Steering wheel mounted radio controls
    Manual transmission with 4WD/AWD
    Factory XM radio integration option (need to buy receiver, but radio is XM ready)
    Cassette player with 6 CD in dash changer.
    Fuel economy of a 4 cyl engine with power of a V6 for most driving conditions (not towing)

Glad you are happy with Escape. We have both, 2005 CR-V Ex and 2005 Escape XLT. I am happy with the CR-V, she is happy with the Escape.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Thats great MPG! I too have attained 22.8 MPG in my Escape on a highway trip. This is with 5 adults, and luggage to boot! So far that is about the highest I was able to get. Ontop of that my speed averaged about 70.
    I'll give the CRV a kudos for traction control. Ford will probably make this available in 06/07 models of Escapes. Drive by wire? what is this? Ford does offer a manual transmission in 4WD, but only with the 4cyl models for now. Are you trying to say having a Cassette player is an advantage? Fuel economy of a 4cyl, but "power of a V6" LOL!! You have no idea what power really is. Try loading your CRV down with luggage, and 5 adults, then try climbing an 11% grade, you'll see what the lack of power really means. MPG advantage.. there are posts right here at Edmunds questioning MPG ratings of the CRV! Get out on the net and you will find more people questioning the MPG ratings. Please.. The V6 in the Escape has 40HP and 40ft/lbs of torque more than the CRV, and your trying to convince people somehow this is negligable? I ask once again. If a V6 is of no advantage and Honda's 4cyl engines are so "powerful" then why does Honda put a V6 in the Accord? Pilot? Acura? Ridgeline? The CRV also weighs more than an Escape to boot!! Why is Toyota putting a v6 in the new RAV4? If all you want the CRv for is to commute then why didn't you buy a station wagon? or car? CRV cannot tow anything!! no boat, no watercraft.... no snowmobiles... At least the Escape CAN tow something.. Another point. I drive in the snow quiet often. The Escape V6 gives you more confidence that your vehicle is able to pull itself around and move your vehicle around in the deep snow, WITH a load of people and gear. It is very obvious the CRV is just a large station wagon....
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    Scape if Fords V6 is so great then why does Ford even bother building Escapes with 4 cylinders engines? It must offer all the power some people need or they wouldn't make it. Are the 4 cylinder Escapes no more than "large station wagons"?

As far as loading up a compact SUV with 5 people and their gear and going up a 11% grade, come on how often are most people ever going to do this? Almost never I would think. And if they do they probably should have bought mid-size or large SUV.

I agree Honda does offer a V6 in Accord because some people wanted more power. Although I believe the 4 cylinder makes up around 75% of Accord sales, so it must offer all the power many people need. Even the ones going up 11% grades. Just because Ford can't seem seem to build a good 4 cylinder engine, doesn't make all SUV's with one useless.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Try loading your CRV down with luggage, and 5 adults, then try climbing an 11% grade, you'll see what the lack of power really means. MPG advantage.. there are posts right here at Edmunds questioning MPG ratings of the CRV!"

I have done this exact thing, and the CR-V performed quite well. 5 people in the car plus luggage to the roof, on a trip to Yosemite.

My highway mileage is 27 @ 80 MPH, about 22 in town. I don't have any reason to tow. However, the US restriction of 1500 lbs is different from the (smaller 2.0L engine) restriction of the export model - it will tow 1500 KG - that's about 3000 lbs - if the trailer has brakes.

When you tout the advantages of the Escape in snow, you should note that your Escape has a more capable 4WD system than the one used in the 2005 and later models.

But in any case, I have had the CR-V in both mud and snow, and it performed very well.

When comparing the Escape to the CR-V, one should keep in mind two things:

1. The CR-V has 39 inches of rear legroom, that is three inches more than the Escape. When carrying lots of cargo, I can slide those seats forward for an additional 5 CU feet of room or so in the cargo area, and still match the Escape rear seat legroom.

2. The CR-V is actually a mid-sized SUV, while the Escape is a small SUV (according to EPA measurements). So I suppose in some respects it isn't fair to compare them at all - they are in different size classes. I've always been amazed at how Honda managed to get so much interior room on such a small chasis.

Anyway, Scape2, enjoy your Escape. It has it's points, as does the CR-V. But they are actually different enough in design philosophy that they attract different customers as buyers.
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I bet Scape probably DOES tow his boat to work. If he can't figure out why Honda would put a V6 in a pickup or a van that way 1000 pounds more than the CR-V, he probably can't figure out how to disconnect his boat...j/k

:blush:

Seriously, though, I've never understood why people feel like they HAVE to drive a V6 or a V8. I think some of it goes back to the inadequacy issues covered in a college psych class. If you ever driven a CR-V, you know it has MORE than enough power fully loaded. What more do you need? I also question why someone that is so "outdoorsy" and is always towing something wouldn't buy a Jeep. It's far superior to the Escape in those conditions, and it gets just as good mileage, or better if you buy the diesel.

Furthermore, it's the Escape owners I've heard complaining about gas mileage, not the CR-V owners. I've read where many Escape owners are mired in the mid-teens. We have 2000 miles on ours so far, and even though it isn't broken in completely, we get about 23-24 all around with a 50-50 split.

Also, I noticed in the driver's manual that you are supposed to drive your CR-V with a lightfoot, especially from a standstill, until 600 miles. I also noticed it had little passing power at that time. Now that we've passed the 600 mile mark, it revs like a banshee when I pass. It hits 5000-5500 rpm before I barely have time to blink. I can count how many times I revved my little Ford ZX-2 Zetec that high on one hand. The Ford four cylinder doesn't belong in the same country with the Honda four banger. I don't know if anyone else has had the experience with the highway power prior to 600 miles, but I'd encourage people to drive one with a few miles on to get the real feel for the Honda power.

Finally, the Honda five speed automatic shouldn't be underestimated. That, along with the VTEC technology goes a LONG ways to narrow the 40 hp and 40 ft-lb "gap" between it and the Escape. Gearing and broad powerbands are everybit as a peak figure, when people generally don't drive at those numbers unless they have an engine capable of revving, like a Honda.
    It's far superior to the Escape in those conditions, and it gets just as good mileage, or better if you buy the diesel.

He probably wouldn't get the CRD Liberty because CRD is a 4 cylinder, that goes back to the inadeqacy problem :-)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    good points... no make that Excellent points. For some reason Scape can't seem to grasp the notion that the CRV works and works well for people who buy them. The fact that the CRV competes or even excels in categories with the Escape is impressive given the 4-cyl vs. the V6. Competition is good for both sides of the argument and not everyone has to tow. Jeez ever think that maybe the V makes for a great commuter car? Or is there a set criteria that all utility vehicle owners must own a boat in order to purchase... BTW I nearly fell off my chair laughing at the first paragraph of that post...

It's still just the doom and gloom "I'm your worst nightmare" garbage. Gets old after a while...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's keep the discussion about the vehicles and not the people who discuss them.

tidester, host
  • ay50ay50 Member Posts: 11
    the mental image I get of a Ford Escape with five adults in it, all their luggage, stuff up on the roof rack, and towing a boat or whatever reminds of the vehicle Henry Fonda’s family used in the movie Grapes of Wrath to get from the mid-west to California. Or if you aren’t familiar with that movie, think Beverly Hillbillies.

Seriously, my friend has a 05 Escape V6 XLT which I have driven and been a passenger in and I have a 04 CRV. Living in California, we’ve made the trip to the Lake Tahoe/Reno NV area (Interstate 80) in both vehicles along with our significant others and kids. My impression of the Escape is that it’s a pleasant vehicle with a comfortable ride with smooth acceleration. Compared to the CRV, it does lack rear leg room and for a long trip I wouldn’t recommend 3 adults (same for the CRV) in the back seat unless they were very close friends. I like the bigger tires on the Escape and it is quieter on certain types of roads. The only problem so far that my friend has mentioned is some hard-starting in the morning with an uneven idle until it is warmed up. I think his best highway mpg has been around 23.

Having owned the CRV for about a year while putting 25K on the odometer, I can say that, if I wish, I can zoom up the grades on the way to Reno. The difference being the power curve is different on the CRV versus the Escape. The Escape, by virtue of its larger engine, has an easier time of it, while with the CRV; the VTEC needs to get the revs up in order to make the climb. Even around town, I’ve noticed the CRV will feel sluggish at low speeds until I put my foot more into it. But once having put my foot into it, it responds in a hurry. I average 24 mpg city/highway and about 26-28 highway so this sort of driving style is something I can live with. So far, knock on wood, no repairs have been needed or any engine fires, or PTTR issues.

I’m somewhat amazed by some of the hyperbole and rhetoric being said by both sides about these two vehicles because let’s face it; they’re more utilitarian than anything and don’t generate much excitement in my opinion. Also, the habit of making outrageous statements just meant to inflame the opposite side and keep this topic going is becoming pretty transparent. But hey, if that’s what you’re into, by all means continue, it does make for interesting reading at times.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " it does make for interesting reading at times "

Bingo.......
  • fredddfreddd Member Posts: 14
    I have no problem with the Escape, just wanted to agree with you opinion regarding the fact that the CR-V engine responds very well to being pushed. In fact, the iVtec engines are designed to run at high rpms.

I have a Saab 4 cylinder turbo also. That car requires you to give it a lot of gas. When you do the turbo kicks in and away you go. I get a similar reaction from the CR-V. I think, if I understand it correctly, the iVtec ingine opens more valves above a certain rpm threshold, or maybe it closes some, I don't really care to understand it deeply. Whatever the case, at about 4500 rpms there is a noticable boost in power, similar to what a turbo engine delivers, but not nearly as smooth.

If you tow something, fine, get a v6. Otherwise I just don't see the point.

Just a little aside -- while my wife and I were trying to figure out which car to buy we spotted a CR-V coming towards us on a country road. I pointed it out and as it went by we noticed it was towing a good size boat. What is good size? I don't know much about boats, but I would say at least 15 feet long. The kind of thing one would pull water skiiers behind with seats in the back and in front. Whatever it was it looked awefully big behind the CR-V. We both found it kind of amusing.
    Right on! liked your last paragraph about the inflaming opposites sides by making outragious statements just to keep this topic going... I have been in this room for about 4 years now. Same topics, same debates, same old rhetoric...Still fun to get the CRV owners all wound up :-))
    like someone saying I am inadequate in someplaces, that is why I need a V6 Escape.. LOL!! this person was all wound up....
    The Escape is proving to be a reliable vehicle. Ran into a person with an 01 Escape.. 102,000 miles... According to Honda owners Fords aren't supposed to make it past 1,000 miles.... :P
    " According to Honda owners Fords aren't supposed to make it past 1,000 miles "

Be careful about making general statements about all Honda owners. Though I'll admit there are some Honda bigots out there (and Ford as well), the bulk of us don't fall in to that category.
    I think, if I understand it correctly, the iVtec ingine opens more valves above a certain rpm threshold, or maybe it closes some, I don't really care to understand it deeply. Whatever the case, at about 4500 rpms there is a noticable boost in power, similar to what a turbo engine delivers, but not nearly as smooth.

The iVTEC is a combination of VTEC-E used for the first time on a 1993 Honda Civic VX, VTEC used on 1991 Acura NSX, and VTC, which is new.

from idle to 2500 RPM the engine operates in the VTEC-E (economy) mode, which is your typical 12 valve Honda engine from the early to mid 80's. The fuel charge is highly stratified and the air to fuel ratio is close to 17:1.

From 2500 to 4500 RPM the engine is your typical 16 valve Honda engine from the early 90's. The fuel ratio is changed to more stoiochemical 14:1.

From 4500 to 6800 RPM red line the valve's lift and duration is changed for high RPM operation. So is the air to fuel ratio.

All this time VTC monitors the speed, gear, load, throttle position and adjusts timing to give you the most torque possible for the given combination of inputs.

Now tell me if that is not a MARVEL of engineering. This is what people call a "Half VTEC" since all the valve work is done on intake only. Acura TSX has the same engine with "Full VTEC" which produces 40 more horses, but requires premium gas to do that. "Full VTEC" adjusts the exhaust valves in a similar fashion to intake valves on "Half VTEC"

VANOS, MIVEC VVTL-i are all copy cats. Ford has a ZETEC engine which has nothing to do wtih variable valve technology, but is simply a 16 valver similar to 1985 Honda engine. I am sure some young kid thought that ZETEC was just like VTEC and bought it. It is just a marketing ploy.

Someone who babies their car will get 28 MPG because they will be in the VTEC-E mode, while someone like me, who pushes their Honda engine will get 22 MPG.
  • fredddfreddd Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the explaination, very impressive indeed. That would explain why it seems turbo-like to me. My Saab has a sport mode that changes the air/fuel ratio -- performance is noticably better.

ZETEC, pffft! typical domestic car sneaky garbage. Reminds me of my highschool buddy who had a Cutlass Supreme with fake heater vents on the dash.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Ford has a ZETEC engine which has nothing to do wtih variable valve technology, but is simply a 16 valver similar to 1985 Honda engine.

FYI, most ZETEC motors had what was called VCT, or Variable Cam Timing, on the exhaust valves. By no means is it as advanced as Honda's current i-VTEC but I do know for a fact that my 2.0L ZETEC w/ VCT powered '98 ZX2 was loads more fun to drive than the 1.6L VTEC powered '96 Civic EX that sat next to it in the garage. And both had an MTX.

It is also notable that Ford does not use the ZETEC anymore IIRC. The Duratec23 and Duratec20 I4s developed by Mazda have taken the Z's place.

Now the Duratec30 in the Escape has nothing fancy save for the 24 valve config. However, the Duratec30 in the Mazda6 that sits next to our Escape in the garage now has VVT and is a much nicer version. Still, the lack of low-end torque in the latter makes it a bad fit for the Escape IMO. The extra HP would be nice but it does come at a price.
  • clamclam Member Posts: 36
    >>Ran into a person with an 01 Escape.. 102,000 miles... According to Honda owners Fords aren't supposed to make it past 1,000 miles....

I ran into a person who loved their Ford Pinto and claimed it went 300,000 trouble free miles. Clearly all Ford Pintos fall into the same category because that one person claimed it as their experience.
    " I ran into a person who loved their Ford Pinto and claimed it went 300,000 trouble free miles. Clearly all Ford Pintos fall into the same category because that one person claimed it as their experience. "

I hope you didn't run in to the person in the Ford Pinto from the back of the Pinto. If you did.......*POOF*.........Pintos were noted for that.....LOL
    "I hope you didn't run in to the person in the Ford Pinto from the back of the Pinto. If you did.......*POOF*.........Pintos were noted for that.....LOL"

Ummm, and it didn't even matter if the Pinto had just had an oil change... LOL
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, tough crowd.

And this group must be the reason why we're seeing escalating hp wars:

Honda Flirts with Development of V8 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    i guess honda read my post about them being too arrogant to make a v8, although that is what people want. ;)
    honda does make fine small automobile engines, but don't forget, put 2 of those duratecs together and you get an astin martin v12. :)
    have you heard the one about honda being the biggest 'ice' polluter, due to all their lawnmower, snowblower, generator engines? :sick:
  • ay50ay50 Member Posts: 11
    I don't think I could afford the cost of gas for a V8 in my Honda. The bad news out here in central California is the price of gas at the corner Chevron is 2.72 per gallon for regular and the high temperature hasn't dipped below 105 for about a month now. :cry:

The good news is I'll be heading for the high sierras this weekend to try and cool off.
    Well, if Honda sticks to the 100 to 120 Hp per Liter of displacement, then a 5 liter V8 would make 500-600 Hp. If they stick to the current V6's 75 Hp per liter then a 5 liter V8 would make about 370 HP. I personally, would not buy a V8, but I am sure there are people that "have the need for it." I wish Honda sold HR-V here as an alternative to rather big CR-V. But CR-V is the smallest "trucklet" you can get in the US.
    have you heard the one about honda being the biggest 'ice' polluter, due to all their lawnmower, snowblower, generator engines?

Honda small engines are one of the few that are legal for sale in California. My Honda lawnmower (2004 year model) meets the 2007 Carb emissions for small engines. Tecumseh and Briggs are slightly behind Honda. But no one can beat Honda's "half a yank" starting. Too bad Honda does not make a decent midsize snow blower. I ended up with Ariens with Tecumseh. When you compare the Honda 5 Hp and Tecumseh 5.5 Hp, Honda runs smoother, queter and is easier to start. Luckily Ariens comes with electric starter, so that I don't have to get "tennis elbow" from trying to start it.

I have an older 24" Craftsman snow blower that is as old as I am (30). I have been toying with an idea of fitting a Honda GX160 in it, to replace the pretty badly worn Tecumseh 30. I have not been able to find a Honda with PTO and main shafts. Seems like Honda only makes engines with one output shaft. It was almost as much to buy an Ariens 5520E on clearance ($350) as buying Honda GX160 ($190) and then attach the gearing for the PTO shaft.

But anyway, where is Ford's small power equipment engine? :confuse:
    i thought about buying a new 4 cycle string trimmer, to replace my old 2 cycle. there are plenty of ca approved small engines out there. the trimmer does fit in the escape if i fold down the rear seat.
    also have a 6.5 hp honda snow blower. it works great, although not quiet. when the snow is really heavy, i wish i had the 8 hp big orange. i bought the electric start, but have never used it. neither of those machines would fit in the escape.
    i thought about buying a new 4 cycle string trimmer, to replace my old 2 cycle. there are plenty of ca approved small engines out there. the trimmer does fit in the escape if i fold down the rear seat.
    also have a 6.5 hp honda snow blower. it works great, although not quiet. when the snow is really heavy, i wish i had the 8 hp big orange. i bought the electric start, but have never used it. neither of those machines would fit in the escape.

The Honda snowblower is a single stage, which is not suitable for Buffalo winters duty. Although some people make do with that. I just don't have time to make 5 passes with single stage, where one pass would do with dual stage. I have not seen dual stage Honda snow blowers. If there was one, I would have bought it.

But here is the kicker. Both the Craftsman or the Ariens snow blowers (not at the same time) fit in the 2002 Civic Si, with the handles folded. I only transported Ariens in the CR-V, so far, and it fits no problem. I guess CR-V is much bigger than Escape.
    " I wish Honda sold HR-V here as an alternative to rather big CR-V. But CR-V is the smallest "trucklet" you can get in the US."

I think you mean honda "trucklet"; the RAV 4 is smaller, and I think some of the Korean and Japanese vehicles are smaller as well. Suzuki comes to mind.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I remember when we had a post on here Titled - Your Lawnmower Vs. You SUV - which spends more time off-road? If you want to have a good laugh, read these post. I had to do some digging to find this too.

Odie
  • johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    Living with Honda CRV 3+ years 68 K miles.

Repairs

50 K miles replaced catalytic converter 1400 $. Under emission control warranty
    63000 miles the check engine light came again replaced evoparative Caannister under the tank and Oxygen sensor paid 530 dollars. Other than that there are no major repairs.

CRV is progressively increasing road noise. The seats are uncomfortable
    Gas Mileage highway 24-25 miles remained the same.
    Adequate engine power. Not really that great in winter.

Complaints some options such as fog lights are too expensive paid 350dollars including installation.

I guess with the advent of computer controls the electronics are the one failing down. I drove my previous Toyota 4 Runner for 240 K miles. No major repairs. I can not say the same with Honda. The engines may be reliable but not the sensors and other electronic and emission control stuff.
    I do not know howthe escape holds up after 65 K miles.
    I remember when we had a post on here Titled - Your Lawnmower Vs. You SUV - which spends more time off-road? If you want to have a good laugh, read these post. I had to do some digging to find this too.

Odie

Thank you. That is a funny thread. I wonder why it is locked now?
    Living with Honda CRV 3+ years 68 K miles.

Repairs

50 K miles replaced catalytic converter 1400 $. Under emission control warranty
    63000 miles the check engine light came again replaced evoparative Caannister under the tank and Oxygen sensor paid 530 dollars. Other than that there are no major repairs.

CRV is progressively increasing road noise. The seats are uncomfortable
    Gas Mileage highway 24-25 miles remained the same.
    Adequate engine power. Not really that great in winter.

Complaints some options such as fog lights are too expensive paid 350dollars including installation.

I guess with the advent of computer controls the electronics are the one failing down. I drove my previous Toyota 4 Runner for 240 K miles. No major repairs. I can not say the same with Honda. The engines may be reliable but not the sensors and other electronic and emission control stuff.
    I do not know howthe escape holds up after 65 K miles.

If you are still running OEM tires, you were probably due to replace them some 20,000 miles ago. That would explain the winter driving dissatisfaction and increasing road noise.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thank you. That is a funny thread. I wonder why it is locked now?

I think it was an off-shoot of Aztek bashing and I Don't Like SUVs Why Do You, and it wasn't exactly topical. It was also high maintenance with a post or two needing attention for profanity or the like every day.

It was fun to ruminant over those awful puns though. Or is it ruminate? :shades:

Steve, Host
    Like steve said, the posts started to get touchy to some people. A bunch of us tried to keep them clean but you know how things can get. But you have to admit it Steve, some of the CLEAN POSTS got very funny.

Odie :)
    you know what they say, 'the grass is always greener on the other side'. ok, i was just trying to get your goat. :) i read all the pages earlier. :sick:
    let's not goat there.
    I went to www.alldata.com and now Honda TSB's are posted??? Hmmm... I wonder why? For years at this site when you clicked the TSB's for any Honda vehicle you would get a notice from Alldata stating Honda does not share TSB information.. Looks like Honda was pressured into allowing this information onto this site and for all to see..I love the internet!.. information galore.
    I just state the 1,000 max mileage out of a Ford product because this is what some Honda militia like to spout out in these forums. Fords unreliable, garbage ect.. Yet, if you get out on the net, visit other auto sites. Reliability in vehicles is not really a topic anylonger. All brands across the board have made leaps and bounds in the reliability department. The new buzz word is "refinement". In the coming years car makers are going to have to produce vehicles people desire. Well, got to go change my oil on my Escape.. Cheers...
    "let's not goat there."

Did you mean "gloat" or "go"? Or is there a joke in there somewhere?
    "I just state the 1,000 max mileage out of a Ford product because this is what some Honda militia like to spout out in these forums. Fords unreliable, garbage ect.."

Well, it appears that the Ford Escape owners like to report their problems to the NHTSB. I was on the site yesterday looking at something else, and happened to compare the CR-V and Escape 2005 problem reports. There were a lot more reports of problems with the 2005 Escape than the 2005 CR-V. Probably 2 or 3 to one. Of course, the Escape sells more units than the CR-V, which has to be factored in there somewhere.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Or is there a joke in there somewhere?

See the message just before Odie's! :)

tidester, host
    "let's not goat there."

Did you mean "gloat" or "go"? Or is there a joke in there somewhere?

Ha ha, somebody missed a joke, ha ha. Not picking on you, but sometimes it is even funnier when someone misses a joke. Like tidester said read the post above, with the link to the "Which spends more time off road, your SUV or your lawnmower" The consensus of that forum was the GOATS are great. You can use them for transportation, they eat the grass so you don't have to mow, you don't need to buy a new model as they are self reproducing, and when you are tired of your old goat, you just eat it. There was one minor flaw, the methane emissions were higher than CARB would allow, but he was working on a charcoal diaper, which goats did not seem to like.
    i wish i had read your synopsis before going there, once i started reading i couldn't 'escape'. :)
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Do you have a 2wd or awd?
    I have over 55K on my Escape and all electronics are fine... Just as an FYI... :shades:
    Though the Escape isn't affected, I thought this was appropriate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050907/ap_on_bi_ge/ford_recall

Need to replace the cruise control switch.
    Just wonder why you would post this in the Escape room? and why you didn't post the recall for the Odessey?? ;)
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I'm guessing it's because it's the fifth LARGEST recall in history, and people have DIED from these Ford fires, unlike the CR-V fires. It's pretty hard to point fingers at Honda when your own car is on fire in your driveway.

;)
    "Just wonder why you would post this in the Escape room? and why you didn't post the recall for the Odessey??"

Actually, I think because it was a Ford recall. But I still don't know why he posted it in the first place.

Man, this forum has been pretty dead for a while...