Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My honest opinion of the Escape and Tribute is well documented, already.

I guess that makes my opinion of the Escape well discounted then? Wait, no, that's the Ford lineup... never mind.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The high performance V6, one of the fastest 0-60 small suvs, had a better performance than many of the V8 vehicles we had tested, and own.

Maybe that is why Escape is SLOWER in every 0-60 test published and my own test with G-tech.

Forrester XT (260 hp?) is the fastest small SUV. CR-V is next with 100 less HP (160). Rav4 (160hp?), and then Escape V6 (200hp).

The only SUV faster than XT is Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

It is possible that since you have a 2WD your results are slightly different. But, then why buy an SUV with just 2WD?
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    "The escapes performance is sturdy and fun to drive. It reminds me of a sports car."

:confuse:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    return the g-tech. i obviously does not work right.
    the escape has been noted many times for it's 'car-like' handling. i agree with that. i really don't know about cr-v handling.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Yes, the final drive is the same (4.438).
    A buddy of mine expressed concern about fitting some cargo into the back of his Escape today. Along with a few other boxes and random items, he's been carrying around a folding table for weeks. ;)
    Our CR-V had one built-in the floor, how funny! I never really used this though...my aunt used hers in her 97 though.
  • nlv1nlv1 Member Posts: 28
    But, then why buy an SUV with just 2WD?

Tsk, tsk, thought you have already seen the reasoning behind this in the Honda CR-V forum (posts 15078, 15080, 15089, 15090, 15092). Guess you still have tunnel vision.

By the way, in that forum you mentioned that those who buy 2WD SUV are only wasting money and gas. However in this forum you are touting that your 4WD CR-V gets about 30 mpg (2WD should have the same or a little better mileage) :confuse: Just curious...
    Tsk, tsk, thought you have already seen the reasoning behind this in the Honda CR-V forum (posts 15078, 15080, 15089, 15090, 15092). Guess you still have tunnel vision.

By the way, in that forum you mentioned that those who buy 2WD SUV are only wasting money and gas. However in this forum you are touting that your 4WD CR-V gets about 30 mpg (2WD should have the same or a little better mileage) Just curious...

I still stand that buying 2WD SUV is a waste of money. My stick shifted CR-V get 30 mpg highway, a Civic hatchback or similarly Mazda 3, PT cruiser, Lancer R/s?? (or whatever station wagon mitsubishi has) All get more than 30 mpg.

If all she wanted was cargo room, hatchback/station wagon is a better alternative to 2WD mini-SUV. I had a 2002 Civic Si (hatchback) and was able to move quite a few things in it, like: Assembled snow blower (not a dinky 2 stroke, but a decent sized Ariens), lawn mower, Maytag dishwasher in the box, 27 inch TV in the box, 10,000 BTU air conditioner and 2 passangers... All while getting more than 30 mpg. Unfortunatley, I moved to Buffalo, and the low slung Civic was no match for the feets and feets of snow we get in winter. So, I upgraded to the next best thing, "Civic on Steroids" aka CR-V.
    "The escapes performance is sturdy and fun to drive. It reminds me of a sports car."

Porsche Caynenne is the only thing closest to sports car handling. BMW X5/X3 are not even close to sports car, but darn close to a car. In mini-SUV segment, CR-V is the closest to a car-like handling. Even the Forester a little rough on the edges. Escape is way into the truck category. Give, it does not drive like F-150, but it not as smooth and car-like.

I don't know what OP drover before the Escape, but it must have been an awfull car, Taurus or something. She should go out drive Accord/Civic, Escape and CR-V. CR-V is the closest to Accord/Civic handling.
    Have to disagree with you there. Both the Forester and RAV4 generally have better handling than either the CR-V or Escape. Neither of these vehicles are bad, but they're not tops in the class.
    If somebody loved all the features a CR-V has to offer, except that he/she doesn't need a 4WD because of where they live or how they'll use it, will you discourage that person to buy one? I would say that somebody who buys a 4WD that is not needed is the one wasting money. In Houston where I live, the 4WD might not even engage in the driving conditions here. So what do I get if I had bought a 4WD? Maybe a "macho" image because I'm driving a 4WD SUV? You're driving a cute mini-SUV so don't get carried away...

Don't boast on all the things you've loaded in your station wagon, I can also do that on a much bigger minivan. Yet, some people might not want the look of a minivan so they get something else and I respect that. I guess all I can say to future buyers: evaluate your needs and research cars (CR-V, Escape, etc.) that will fit those needs and your personal likes/dislikes (appearance, etc). Take note of constructive suggestions in these forums, junk the others.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Both the Forester and RAV4 generally have better handling than either the CR-V or Escape

Nothing like stating opinion as fact. Depends on your personal handling preferences.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    an Escape XLT V6 4WD with over 65,000 trouble free miles, Wife owns the Tribute ES V6 4WD with now about 20,000 trouble free miles. With the constant drum beating of the Honda clan about reliability... Those drums seem to become less and less as the miles rack up on my "unreliable" Escape and Tribute.... By the way.. Get out on the net. Go to google and type in "Honda CRV problems".. Whoa boy! will you be surprised Honda fans.. There are even web sites with pure and simple anti-Honda beaming from the pages. Links upon links of Honda problems, real people that have had Honda problems and are still having Honda problems... I thought Honda was perfection?? I love the internet! can't hide information out here Honda!
    If somebody loved all the features a CR-V has to offer, except that he/she doesn't need a 4WD because of where they live or how they'll use it, will you discourage that person to buy one? I would say that somebody who buys a 4WD that is not needed is the one wasting money. In Houston where I live, the 4WD might not even engage in the driving conditions here. So what do I get if I had bought a 4WD? Maybe a "macho" image because I'm driving a 4WD SUV? You're driving a cute mini-SUV so don't get carried away...

Don't boast on all the things you've loaded in your station wagon, I can also do that on a much bigger minivan. Yet, some people might not want the look of a minivan so they get something else and I respect that. I guess all I can say to future buyers: evaluate your needs and research cars (CR-V, Escape, etc.) that will fit those needs and your personal likes/dislikes (appearance, etc). Take note of constructive suggestions in these forums, junk the others.

The point is that if they don't need AWD/4WD they don't need SUV. They need a small station wagon.

I think the ones who buy 2WD SUV's are the ones trying convey an image, I don't know if it is macho or not, but they are definatley trying to be what they are not.

I would have loved to still have the Civic, but we get lots and lots of snow in Buffalo. As a matter of fact, it is just the beginning of December and some areas already have more than 4 feet of snow. The winter hasn't even began. So, yes, I use my AWD and VSC on the daily basis. When I did not live in the climate that required more than 2WD, I was perfectly happy with a Civic hatchback. I did not need to have an SUV to convince someone/anyone that I am not a, in the words of Governator, "Ghirlyh Mahn". My physique does that :-)

As far as loading a minivan with stuff, I can beat you with saying that I can rent a U-haul and load more stuff. I think you missed the point that a lowly Civic hatchback that gets over 30 mpg can haul as much stuff as much bigger CR-V.
    an Escape XLT V6 4WD with over 65,000 trouble free miles, Wife owns the Tribute ES V6 4WD with now about 20,000 trouble free miles. With the constant drum beating of the Honda clan about reliability... Those drums seem to become less and less as the miles rack up on my "unreliable" Escape and Tribute.... By the way.. Get out on the net. Go to google and type in "Honda CRV problems".. Whoa boy! will you be surprised Honda fans.. There are even web sites with pure and simple anti-Honda beaming from the pages. Links upon links of Honda problems, real people that have had Honda problems and are still having Honda problems... I thought Honda was perfection?? I love the internet! can't hide information out here Honda!

Honda is bareley broken in by the time it hits 100,000 miles. 65,000 miles is nothing. Come back when you racked up 200,000 -- 500,000 miles on the Ford.

Maybe the Escape is so well built and reliable that Ford just issues recalls for the fun of it. Sounds like a big conspiracy and cover up to me. Maybe Ford is trying to keep the Honda buyer from buying Fords by deceiving them with false recalls. Maybe Ford doesn't need Honda sales and does not want anymore people buying their products, so they just keep issuing recalls and pay the media to bash their products. Oh, oh, I may have uncovered the biggest conspiracy of them all, I better shut up, or the government will think that I know who killed Kennedy and where Jimmy Hoffa is.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think the ones who buy 2WD SUV's are the ones trying convey an image, I don't know if it is macho or not, but they are definatley trying to be what they are not.

I think some people like the higher seating that a mini-UTE offers them over a wagon or sedan and those same people don't want or need a full size SUV or minivan or AWD/4WD.

Steve, Host
    Here, thanks to Racoon, is one recall for Honda.

I don't know if my wife is trying to convey an image with a 20K car (average price of cars nowadays), she's the one who usually drives it. I have my old '94 accord to use.

You missed the point that it floods in Houston and higher seating helps in traffic. You also missed the point that cargo space is not our first priority, it is the safety features (especially for our toddler). You also missed the point that we are happy with 29 mpg highway, considering our old minivan can only do 20 mpg. You also missed all the other points I mentioned in the other forum.

Following your reasoning, I could also ram it down your throat that Subarus & Escapes can tackle the snow in Buffalo, they have high ground clearance and 4WD. But you chose the CR-V, because you liked Civics and you liked Hondas. Good for you! We also like Hondas, and a CR-V fits most of our needs.

The point is that if they don't need AWD/4WD they don't need SUV. They need a small station wagon.

I think generalized statements like these are your problem. Guess all the countless people who drive and manufacture 2WD SUVs can't reason with someone who's as close-minded as you are. By the way, I read in another forum that someone in Buffalo was looking for a 2WD vehicle because he said he can manage the snow without the 4WD. Maybe he's just a better driver than you are?

Be careful about touting your physique. A well formed physique doesn't necessarily mean someone is not a ghirly mahn. ;)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    HA, that is awesome. Thanks for the laugh.
    You missed the point that it floods in Houston and higher seating helps in traffic.

How is that? General rule of thumb is not to ford floods if you don't know the depth. As far as helping in traffic, that is load of bologna. CR-V/Escape/Forester do not offer seating position high enough to see over Suburbans/Explorers/Excursions/Hummers/Escalades...
    If anything, I could easily see UNDER the Hummer in my Civic.

Following your reasoning, I could also ram it down your throat that Subarus & Escapes can tackle the snow in Buffalo, they have high ground clearance and 4WD. But you chose the CR-V, because you liked Civics and you liked Hondas. Good for you! We also like Hondas, and a CR-V fits most of our needs.

Subaru, short of the new GM Trailblazer based one (Tribeca?), have nowhere near the ground clearance CR-V has. I didn't like the vibrations the Subaru engine translated through the car and especially through the shifter. Subaru felt very rough and unfinished.

Escape, got one. Have a 2005 Escape XLT and 2005 CR-V EX. CR-V is better hands down. :-)

By the way, I read in another forum that someone in Buffalo was looking for a 2WD vehicle because he said he can manage the snow without the 4WD. Maybe he's just a better driver than you are?

Not everyone drives an SUV in Buffalo. But if one were to buy an SUV, it is foolish to buy a 2WD one. In that person's case, he admitted to being cheap and not wanting to spend $1000 - $1500 for AWD. I don't claim to be the best driver out there. If I were, I would not sit in the office, but would be burning laps in Monaco in an F1 bolid.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Again I will ask. What about the automobile review programs? The industry magazines? The owner's surveys conducted by JD Power?

All of those mentioned and many other sources consistently rank Honda as one of the most reliable automobile brands.

Why do you not believe this?

According to you we are supposed to believe that the internet is the sole source of information about Honda. That belief and your take on the sitation are wrong.

Perhaps it may change in the future, but as of today, Honda is more reliable than Ford.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    That annoying video ad in the upper right that covers up portions of the posts.
    Okaaaay...? LOL
    It's ok for me; please remind us after the systems upgrade tomorrow if it's still there and Tidester or I'll report it.

Most likely it's related to that CNN graphic. ;-)

Steve, Host
    It's ok for me; please remind us after the systems upgrade tomorrow if it's still there and Tidester or I'll report it.

Most likely it's related to that CNN graphic.

Steve, Host

What CNN graphic? I don't know anything about it.
    Again I will ask. What about the automobile review programs? The industry magazines? The owner's surveys conducted by JD Power?

All of those mentioned and many other sources consistently rank Honda as one of the most reliable automobile brands.

Why do you not believe this?

According to you we are supposed to believe that the internet is the sole source of information about Honda. That belief and your take on the sitation are wrong.

Perhaps it may change in the future, but as of today, Honda is more reliable than Ford.

See, Scape uses very fuzzy convoluted logic algorithm to arrive to his conclusions. He bases his CR-V conclusions on negative Internet posts about CR-V.

But when he is confronted with negative publicity on Escape he brings up his one and only trouble free Escape that only has 65,000 miles and he is ready to dump it. He neglects to see that there are lots more CR-V's with 200,000 miles or more that have been trouble free. But boasts that HIS Escape with only 65,000 miles has been trouble free.

So, then when he is confronted with other people who have CR-V's with double the mileage and still trouble free, he, for some odd reason, just says that those are individual cases.

Apparantley, Scape's Escape is not an individual case, but an indicator of how the whole line is. But an individual with 150,000 mile trouble free CR-V is an individual case.

Odd logic at best.

I don't know if Scape is aware of the Japanese approach to delight.
    When the primary function of the product is performed, customer is happy. When the bells and whistles are working, customer is delighted. However, when the primary function is not performed, but bells and whistles are working customer is mad.

The primary function of a vehicle is to start in the morning and get you to your destination. Which Honda CR-V does without a hitch. Other factors, like A/C or what not, are just delight factors, that do not interfiere with the primary function.

However, Ford has not been prove to reliably do its primary function, which negates the working A/C or power windows. They don't do you any good if you have to take the bus, because the wheels fell off the Escape.
    "Nothing like stating opinion as fact. Depends on your personal handling preferences."

Don't be silly. I'm basing that on the fact that the RAV4 and Forester are consistently rated higher in tests such as skidpads and slaloms. The fact that many reviewers have written things like "best in class" and "most fun to drive" also make the point.

Handling is not all that subjective unless you "prefer" vehicles that tip up on their side while taking a corner. But I think you'll have to admit that's not really the kind of handling mainstream buyers are looking for.
    "Subaru, short of the new GM Trailblazer based one (Tribeca?), have nowhere near the ground clearance CR-V has."

The Tribeca is based on an extended version of the Outback platform, not a GM product. The Outback has about 8.4 inches of clearance. And the Forester is pretty close now. It got a boost to either 7.9 or 8.1 inches depending on the trim you chose.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I'm basing that on the fact that the RAV4 and Forester are consistently rated higher in tests such as skidpads and slaloms.

Most people don't buy a car like the CRV for it's performance handling characteristics. A more appropriate term would be ride rather than handling, or some other term that refers to the cars everyday handling characteristics. My 2006 CRV is very "car-like". I am making this statement based on the ride/handling characteristics of my 2003 Accord EX-L.

Reviews in magazines like Car and Driver rate many cars on how fast they are and how they handle a closed road courses or slalom tests. While interesting, this is not pertinent to everyday driving or car ownership. I have driven the RAV4, Forester and Escape and they all ride nicely. None too harsh or particularly luxurious.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "General rule of thumb is not to ford floods if you don't know the depth. As far as helping in traffic, that is load of bologna. CR-V/Escape/Forester do not offer seating position high enough to see over Suburbans/Explorers/Excursions/Hummers/Escalades..."

I have to disagree on both points.

On a trip to Carlsbad NM, I hit one of those famous desert thunderstorms. The roads in Carlsbad were under several inches of water. The choice was either to stop right where I was or to continue slowly. I continued in about 6 inches of water, and I was very glad I had those rear wheels available for use via the RT4WD.

I hate using my wife's Civic for freeway travel here in LA; I cannot see the traffic. While I can't see past those huge SUVs, I can still see better than in a lower car. It makes a big difference in predicting the traffic flows. In my CR-V I can maneuver away from those big SUVs; in a smaller vehicle I would have no options at all.
    This issue came up a year ago in I Don't Like SUVs Why Do You.

I'm a river canoeist and have flipped enough to know that six inches of water can pin a boat and have other dire consequences.

Desert thunderstorms are especially notorious for sweeping cars down what normally appear to be high and dry swales. We have sirens here in Boise (high desert) that warn of flash floods coming down the streets from localized thunderstorms in the hilly sections of town.

Lots more here:

blh7068, "I don't like SUVs, why do you?" #61241, 22 Oct 2004 4:54 am

Steve, Host
    why did you have to bring up that thread?
    at least this is pretty much an suv only thread.
    wife took went out the escape today in about 8 inches of unplowed snow. no problems. i took the focus to the gas station because i needed gas for the snowblower. got stuck twice.
    Lets talk about fuzzy logic here.. you keep claiming all these recalls... yet you fail to mention they were all in the first year, along with only being certain build lots and dates. This is typical Honda hype. The other thing is I was told by people just like you that my Ford would fall apart, be unreliable, yet at 65,000 hard miles of towing, going to the mountains, skiing and fishing spots.. this vehicle has been very reliable. And at 65,000 miles runs great! Plus, you don't get out on the net, there are Escape/Tribute owners out on the net that have 130,000 trouble free miles on their vehicles. But you of course won't believe them because you have been so brain washed that anything with a silver "H" on it is just plain better no questions asked.
    Ever look up recalls on Honda's? or TSB's? What about the first year of Odessey? know about that? or the problems with the Civic? Nope, I bet not.. Just sweep it under the carpet like Honda was able to to with your Combustable Recreational Vehicle...
    Take a look at the consumer ratings of the CRV vs the unreliable, unsafe and inferior Escape.. 23 people and the ratings of the Escape are 9.1?? .... 7 reviews for the CRV and 8.6??? What the?? I thought the CRV was perfect? The most superior in this class?? Why not 10's from all these 7 people??
    I see I caused some stir with asking some of you Honda drum beaters to visit the sites on google about Honda.. Truth hurts??
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    Yep, you got me. I traded my silver H for a blue oval. Seriously. I pried the H off my CR-V and traded it a Ford owner for his Blue Oval so he could get better resale on his Escape. Unfortunately, the steering wheel fell off in the parking lot at the Honda dealership where he was trading it in for a CR-V, but the accelerator stuck and he went crashing through the front window of the place. All of the Honda salesman then rocked his Escape back on its wheels, started chanting "Junk, junk!!!", and then they burned the thing. The guy quickly pried the silver H off the Escape and took it home so he can put it underneath his pillow in hopes that the Internet Fairy will deliver his a shiny new CR-V for Christmas.

True story. It has to be, since I just posted it on a message board on the internet. It's right there for all to see and use as anecdotal evidence for whatever claim they choose to make today...

:blush:
    What? I'm sorry, but have you read the posts to which you're responding? I think if you reread the discussion, you'll find that you're not following it very well.

I'm talking about handling... the ability to take corners at speed, transition weight, load and unload suspension, etc. If I were talking about ride quality, I'd have used the words "ride" and "quality".

The RAV4 and Forester are both rated higher in terms of handling by just about every mag I've read. That's not my opinion. It's their observation based on their data and experience. Ride quality is another category altogether.
    Can't believe your reasoning, roflmao...

General rule of thumb is not to ford floods if you don't know the depth.

You said it, general rule of thumb. Maybe you don't know the meaning of flash floods, when while driving in a seemingly sunny day, a sudden downpour/thunderstorm happens to dump a lot of rain on a certain area where, you guessed it, you might be driving happily a few minutes before. You might need to cross a foot or less of water in order to reach safety from the quickly rising water. So in your case, you will just stop and bawl your heart out, wondering why you didn't get a Hummer as the high water closes around you.

CR-V/Escape/Forester do not offer seating position high enough to see over Suburbans/Explorers/Excursions/Hummers/Escalades...

You might be correct if there's always a procession of these vehicles on the road, all abreast of each other. And maybe if the road is always a 2 lane road. That's not the case however; in a multilane highway or major thoroughfare, you can always switch lanes in order to get better visibility. Keeping a safe distance behind a large vehicle also gives you better visibility.

In your closed mind of absolutes, you forget that many things in this world are relative. Big SUVs have higher seating position than small SUVs, small SUVs have higher seating position that cars, and so on. Semi-trucks have higher positions than big SUVs so I'm hoping I can get one soon. However, right now, I'm just grateful that at least the CR-V has a higher seating position than your Civic. Get what I mean?

Subaru, short of the new GM Trailblazer based one (Tribeca?), have nowhere near the ground clearance CR-V has.

Before I mentioned the Subaru to you, I've already checked the ground clearance. Have you??? The Subaru Outback has 8.7 in of ground clearance, higher than the CR-V's 8.1 in. You just liked the CR-V better. I'm sure the Subi guys felt the same about the CR-V. You always miss the point that other people's reasons for buying a car don't revolve around your reasons.

In that person's case, he admitted to being cheap and not wanting to spend $1000 - $1500 for AWD.

It always amazes me when most of the things that you say are the ones that can be used to rebut you. Why doesn't he want the 4WD? Because he wants to use the price difference on other things, maybe to feed his family (just speculating here). I say that when there's a very good reason to get a 2WD, and you can still manage to drive in Buffalo, by all means go for it. Personally, I might recommend (not insult by laughing at) the 4WD citing advantages it has in snow, but heck, it's his money and it's his decision.
    ...there are Escape/Tribute owners out on the net that have 130,000 trouble free miles on their vehicles.

there are also people that live to be 120 years old. Does that mean that all of us will live to be 120?

130,000 mile sis not 200,000, not 300,000 not 500,000 miles.

Ever look up recalls on Honda's? or TSB's? What about the first year of Odessey? know about that? or the problems with the Civic?

If you want to bring other models into this, why not mention Escort, Focus, Crown Vic, Explorer...?
    ...but heck, it's his money and it's his decision.

And the bellow is my opinion and I am sticking with it. If you are buying an SUV, but a 4WD/AWD and if you feel the need to sit higher, buy a Mac/Freightliner truck. But of course, the Greyhoud buses are going to block your view, so then buy a Greyhound bus. Oh, wait a minute, isn't what started all the "bigger is better" SUV craze? One wanted to see over the other, and was getting bigger and bigger SUV's until they could not keep up with their baloon payment the truck, and interest only mortgage on the house And the McMansion in the 'burbs was really a straw house.

I bought a vehicle that I can afford without having to go baloon payment or lease it, without having to get an interest only mortgage on the house. While I can still put 15% of my pay in 401K, and 10% into savings and live comfortably.
    Take a look at the consumer ratings of the CRV vs the unreliable, unsafe and inferior Escape.. 23 people and the ratings of the Escape are 9.1?? .... 7 reviews for the CRV and 8.6??? What the?? I thought the CRV was perfect? The most superior in this class?? Why not 10's from all these 7 people??

I believe Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, and other legitimate publications rated CR-V higher.

Also, the previous years of CR-V show much mroe positive reviews than rprevious years of Escape. Maybe CR-V drivers are too busy enjoying their vehicles...

Google Ford and Recalls, or Ford and Defects, or Ford and Fires, and Ford and deaths, Ford and Roll over... the list goes on.

By the way, I googled "Honda sucks" as you haev suggested and there is no CR-V on the list.
    if you want to 'bellow' over the internet, use caps or bold. :P
    What you don't seem to get here is you Honda owners beat and pound the never ending drum of the Escape being unreliable and terrible quality and never make past 25,000 miles garbage.. Yet I personally own 1 Escape and 1 Tribute. Both of these vehicles have performed flawlessly. According to Honda owners, they should have broken down long ago. Why has my Escape made to 65,000 trouble free miles? My wifes Tribute has 20,000 trouble free miles? If the Escape/Tribute/Mariner are so doggone unreliable and such terrible quality then why do they sell to the public so many of these vehicles?
    More on the internet than "Honda sucks" website my friend.. Try "Honda problems" in a google search.. I thought Honda had no problems?? LOL.. If you do this search correctly and really look, I am pretty sure your tune of anything with a silver "H" on it is perfect will waver.. ;)
    What you don't seem to get here is you Honda owners beat and pound the never ending drum of the Escape being unreliable and terrible quality and never make past 25,000 miles garbage.. Yet I personally own 1 Escape and 1 Tribute. Both of these vehicles have performed flawlessly. According to Honda owners, they should have broken down long ago. Why has my Escape made to 65,000 trouble free miles? My wifes Tribute has 20,000 trouble free miles? If the Escape/Tribute/Mariner are so doggone unreliable and such terrible quality then why do they sell to the public so many of these vehicles?

Give some of us Honda owners a little credit. I haven't heard (on here anyways) an owner questioning the ability of an Escape to make 75,000 miles. What is often questioned, is how many Ford's (of recent years) are making it to numbers like 150k and 250k with few problems. I want no part of this discussion, because, frankly, neither of these cars has enough legroom for me, and I'm not in the market for a "cute-ute", but I saw this statement you made generalizing all Honda owners as "Ford-Bashers"; its simply not true about all of us. My family has owned a Honda and a Ford at the same time (1982 Civic and 1984 LTD), and kept the Ford for 6 years and 70,000 miles. We were forced to trade when the Ford needed a tranny (bought a 1990 Accord LX), and have been in only Hondas ever since.

Frankly, my dad tried to buy a Mustang convertible some years ago (mid-90s), and the dealer he talked with was so insistent that he lease, he walked-out with the dealer chasing behind him still insisting on a lease! It isn't that we wouldn't shop a Ford, but until we have a dilemma with our current dealer or make of cars, we won't be changing. I don't know how often I'll be browsing these boards with the holidays kicking up, so in case I don't talk to y'all, everyone have a Merry Christmas! (Ford owners too!! ;) )

thegrad

It doesn't surprize me that a you have reached 65,000 miles. Like I said earlier, come back when you have 200,000 to 500,000 miles and report. You seem to chose which questions to answer and which to ingnore.

I personally owned a 1985 Civic DX that drove for 250,000 miles and was still full of energy. I sold it for $1500 (original purchase price was $6500). I still own a 1988 Prelude Si 4WS, with BABY mileage of 127,000 miles that starts and runs like it did when it was new.

Example 1: When I met my girlfriend, she had a 1992 Ford Taurus with a little under 100,000 miles. I replaced the power steering pump because it was spraying fluid all over out of the seals. Then the rack gave out. I replaced that, then the tranny gave out. We got $400 on trade in. That is just a slap in the face, a 10 year old Civic with 250,000 miles gets $1500, while 8 year old Ford with V6 only gets $400. And Ford cost more when it was new than Civic when it was new.

Example 2: She did not want to switch, so she got a 1999 Ford Escort ZX2, at the same time I got a 1999 Honda Civic EX coupe. Both cost about $15,000 new. Both started fine in the morning and ran OK during the first two years of ownership. Then Ford started to get hickups, sometimes it would not understand that when you press the accelerator you want it to go. Civic still worked like a clock. At the time we moved in together and later we decided to car pool to save a car payment. Both cars had a little over 30,000 miles. I got $11,000 on trade in, she got $6500.

Example 3: After a few years of carpooling, the jobs changed and we needed sperate cars again. She again went out and got a 2002 Ford Focus SE at this time, and I got 2002 Honda Civic Si. Both were about $15,000 (Ford Focus was $15,000, Civic Si was $14,500). In the first year her fuel pump quit. The car had to be towed to the dealer to replace the fuel pump. While at it they performed other recalls on the bearing hubs and some other stuff that I forgot. UK built Civic was not without a problem either, but it performed the primary function flawlessly, it started and ran every morning. Remember my explanation of Japanese approach to Customer Satisfaction and Customer Delight. I was not delighted, but I was satisfied.

This worked great, until we moved to Buffalo, NY we realized that we needed SUV's to make it to places on time, witout having to get up 2 hours earlier than normal.

I traded in my Civic for a 2005 CR-V EX. I got $12,500 for a 3 year old Civic Si. The Ford dealer would not give her more than $6000 on the 3 year old Focus in pristine condition (my Civic has been hit and repaired). She ended up selling it her self for $7000. And this time she leased the Escape as to not to have to worry about Ford's HORRABLE resale.

So, as you see, I don't rely on internet posts to make my conclusions. They are based on real life facts that I have experienced. Ford has proven to be unrealiable after 100,000 miles, Ford has proven not to retain any value. Honda on the other hand, has proven that it reliable, starts every morning and provides transportation, just as it is intended to do. And when you are done with it, you get most of your money back.

So, why would I go out of my way and search the internet for that elusive person who is not happy with his/her Honda, when I have first hand POSITIVE epxperinece with Honda and NEGATIVE experience with Ford?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Summed up perfectly.
    Why is she still buying Fords? Does she like the way they drive better or something?

Steve, Host
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    And THAT'S still not good enough for scape. He keeps posting the same old drivel. I see his posts and scroll.....scroll.....scroll.....
    So, what's your point?

You're the one who mentioned the Expeditions, Hummers, Escalades, blah-blah-blah.

I bought a vehicle that I can afford without having to go baloon payment or lease it, without having to get an interest only mortgage on the house. While I can still put 15% of my pay in 401K, and 10% into savings and live comfortably.

Right on the money! That's what I was trying to tell you all along. People buy SUVs, maybe 2WDs, because maybe that's what they can afford. So why LAUGH AT those people when you know the answer?

As far as I'm concerned, your reasoning is shot. Maybe it went downhill about the same time as the Metallic Tint and the Antenna Reception Issue ;)

And thanks, we're happy with our 2WD CR-V "station wagon". Enjoy your 4WD station wagon, too. Hope you get to use it a lot on the snow in Buffalo.