Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Why is she still buying Fords? Does she like the way they drive better or something?

Steve, Host

I have been trying to get the asnwer out of her as well, but she just shrugs her shoulders. It is something her father and his father did, and all of her family is Ford. Her uncle drives a Ford, her grand ma drives a Ford. I think it is just peer pressure and she does not want to be confronted by them. When we gather together, they tease me about Honda, but quickly shut up when I bring up resale and fuel economy.

She did say at one time that Hondas felt "too airy" for her. So, I guess having superior head and leg room can have its detriments. :-)

This past fall, when the gas prices spiked to over $3.50/gal here, one of the uncles, who shall remain nameless, asked me in confidence if I really got 30 mpg in the CR-V. I showed him my gas receipts and Excell spreadsheet where I keep all of my costs. But, he could not bring him self to admit that Honda was superior, he just expressed amazement, like a kid does when you show him "detach/attach" thumb trick.
  • Options
    So, what's your point?

You're the one who mentioned the Expeditions, Hummers, Escalades, blah-blah-blah.

I bought a vehicle that I can afford without having to go baloon payment or lease it, without having to get an interest only mortgage on the house. While I can still put 15% of my pay in 401K, and 10% into savings and live comfortably.

Right on the money! That's what I was trying to tell you all along. People buy SUVs, maybe 2WDs, because maybe that's what they can afford. So why LAUGH AT those people when you know the answer?

As far as I'm concerned, your reasoning is shot. Maybe it went downhill about the same time as the Metallic Tint and the Antenna Reception Issue

And thanks, we're happy with our 2WD CR-V "station wagon". Enjoy your 4WD station wagon, too. Hope you get to use it a lot on the snow in Buffalo.

They/you could have saved more by buying a station wagon, instead of an SUV.

Metallic tint does not affect FM radio reception on vehicles with externally mounted antenna. It will affect AM reception, since the AM antenna (ferrite rod with coiled wire over it) is in the radio.

But, whatever, I can't fight ignorance with logic.

And, yes, I get to us AWD everyday. Snow is on the ground, plus more is falling everyday and not going anywhere when it is single digits down to negative single digits, and we are a week away from the start of winter.

I'd rather deal with snow (which you can plow and blow) than Hurracanes/Flooding/Tornados which you can only run away from/Hide in the basement. :-)
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Once again, we can sit here all day long and post personal car stories. I have many family and friends that own Ford products that have never had any issues so large it would cause them to sell or never buy a Ford product again.
    I was at a tournament the other day and as I pulled in a guy in a 1980's Mustang SVT with the 2.3 Turbo pulls in. This car was in perfect condition. Black, it had aftermarket tires/wheels but everything else was factory stock. I walked over and had to take a look. The car was in perfect condition. Interior was like new. The car had about 140,000 original miles on it. They guy said he was the original owner, keeps it garaged an only drive it on nice days. Ford don't last.. ha! This guy kept this car immaculate and he said has had very few problems with it over the years.. Nope, Fords don't last.. Tell this guy that!
    Also 15K for a Civic EX! don't think so.. Try at least 18K starting.. ZX2's my cousin bought one new for $13,000.. go figure...
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Am I missing something?

You seem to keep chastising someone for buying a 2WD CR-V which you term a "station wagon".

You say that they could have saved money by buying a station wagon rather than a SUV.

Why don't you enlighten us as to how many station wagons cost less than the ~$19K cost of a 2WD CR-V. I'm sure there are a few but what if the person really wanted a Honda vehicle. AFAIK no station wagons available here (other markets but not here).

The person bought a 2WD CR-V. Whether you think it's a station wagon, an SUV or a raised Civic shouldn't matter. It was their decision based on their wants and needs. Seems good enough to me.

IIWM I wouldn't keep harping on the station wagon, SUV thing. Plenty of people don't think the 4WD CR-V is a SUV either.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I tend to agree with buying a CRV 2wd for certain reasons (increased visibility, great cargo space), but thought I would mention some of the inexpensive wagons out there...

After a little research I found...

Chevy Aveo hatchback (small inside though) $9,455
    Chevy HHR $15,425
    Chevy Uplander minivan $19,250
    Chrysler PT Cruiser $14,210
    Dodge Caravan $18,380
    Kia Spectra 5-door $16,600
    Mazda 3 5-door approx: $17,000
    Mazda 5 $17,435
    Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix $15,110
    Suzuki Aerio Wagon approx: $16,000 2005 VW Jetta Wagon approx: $20,000 :cry:

That's all I will say on the subject, now back to the comparo!

thegrad
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    hey grad, when you are a bit older you will appreciate a taller vehicle. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    hey grad, when you are a bit older you will appreciate a taller vehicle.

Well, for now, I'm most concerned with the two things that affect me most; interior leg/headroom (I'm 6'5") and fuel economy (still a college student paying for gas. For those reasons, moving up to a mid-size Accord EX 4-cyl(24/34 mpgs) was the right move for me. My 1996 Accord had gotten too small. I appreciate the height of the cute utes, but cannot get comfortable driving them, try as I might! My dad had the CR-V while I was in high school, and I couldn't find a comfortable place for my left foot (no inclined dead pedal). Before you mention the Ford, I drove my dad's coworker's Escape to see if it would fit me, but came up short in legroom for me. Appreciating height of a vehicle is something that doesen't change with age...Believe me, I'd like nothing more than to have a Pilot or even a full-size truck, but I can't afford these, or afford the go-juice that they drink so readily.

thegrad
  • Options
    nlv1nlv1 Member Posts: 28
    They/you could have saved more by buying a station wagon, instead of an SUV.

Maybe, but we would be the ones who get to live with a car that we didn't really like, not you. We had a budget for buying a CR-V so we did.

I'd rather deal with snow (which you can plow and blow) than Hurracanes/Flooding/Tornados which you can only run away from/Hide in the basement.

Well, if there's flooding and you decide to go to the basement....... :confuse:
  • Options
    Why don't you enlighten us as to how many station wagons cost less than the ~$19K cost of a 2WD CR-V. I'm sure there are a few but what if the person really wanted a Honda vehicle. AFAIK no station wagons available here (other markets but not here).

To add to Graduate's list, if you are like me, who would only buy a Honda, there was a 2002-2005 Honda Civic Si the only hatchabck Civic sold in the US. I bought mine new for $14,500. There are a few who bought them new cheaper, but the average going price is $16K. Like I stated in earlier posts, I fit as much stuff in the Si as I can in the CR-V. It is given CR-V is slightly bigger, but Si was not cramped either.

I regularly got 30 mpg in it, and that is with shifting and redline and driving at 80 mph on the thruway. When I drive the CR-V same way, there is no way I get 30 mpg. But, I don't drive CR-V to the limit as often as I did the Si. So I get 28-30 mpg in the CR-V alsmost all the time as well. It just takes me longer to get places, and it is less exciting getting there.

So, there, you have been enlightened.
  • Options
    I'd rather deal with snow (which you can plow and blow) than Hurracanes/Flooding/Tornados which you can only run away from/Hide in the basement.

Well, if there's flooding and you decide to go to the basement.......

Don't try to read between the lines. I clearly stated "Hurracances SLASH Flooding SLASH Tornadoes" as well as "Runaway SLASH Hide in the basement" General consesus on the SLASH, also known as "/" to have the meaning "and or."

So, depending on the weather event you would run away OR hide in the basement. Just in case you didn't know, you can ride out a Tornado in the basement of your house if the basement is prepared for such events. In case flooding is your major weather event, you would use the "OR" option to evacuate, also known as "run away"

Am I coming in clear now?
  • Options
    Once again, we can sit here all day long and post personal car stories. I have many family and friends that own Ford products that have never had any issues so large it would cause them to sell or never buy a Ford product again.
    I was at a tournament the other day and as I pulled in a guy in a 1980's Mustang SVT with the 2.3 Turbo pulls in. This car was in perfect condition. Black, it had aftermarket tires/wheels but everything else was factory stock. I walked over and had to take a look. The car was in perfect condition. Interior was like new. The car had about 140,000 original miles on it. They guy said he was the original owner, keeps it garaged an only drive it on nice days. Ford don't last.. ha! This guy kept this car immaculate and he said has had very few problems with it over the years.. Nope, Fords don't last.. Tell this guy that!
    Also 15K for a Civic EX! don't think so.. Try at least 18K starting.. ZX2's my cousin bought one new for $13,000.. go figure...

1980's SVT Mustang, 140,000 miles, original everything. Last time I believed in fairy tales I was 5. Good luck.

SVT was created in 1991, as per Edmunds it self. History of SVT

"SVT's history dates back to 1991, when Bob Rewey, group vice president for Ford marketing and sales, and Neil Ressler, chief technical officer, thought the company would benefit from an in-house skunkworks that would look at existing and future products, and see if they might respond to some officially sanctioned hot-rodding. The products thus identified and appropriately massaged could be sold at select dealers operating under the Ford umbrella — sort of how the M-models at BMW, and the AMG models at Mercedes-Benz are marketed."

Maybe Edmunds is lieing?
    First Mustang SVT was a 1993 model.

Daddy, daddy, tell me another one before I go to sleep!! How about Hansel and Gretel this time?

You keep accusing me of lies every time I post something positive about Honda. Yet, I have not seen anything truthful from you. $15K for EX coupe is not a fable, I have the original bill I can post if you are inclined so. On top of the $15K, I got, a then great, rate of 4.9% APR. Not bad for someone right out of college with no credit history. Maybe it is because Honda cares about its future lifetime customers, and their college graduate program helps them build their credit. As per Honda graduate program, (ad-lib version)
    "Buyers who have graduated or will graduate within 12 months of purchase are eligible for the lowest advertized finance rate. The eligibility requiremetns are that there are no derogatory ratings from creditors. Limited credit history is acceptable."

5 years later I was able to buy a house at 3.75% APR (5/1 ARM) because my score was in the low to mid 700's.

I still say Honda is the best.
  • Options
    I asked about station wagons. The Civic Si is not a station wagon.

Even if it was, the Civic Si's cargo space isn't the same as a CR-V is it? The majority of the other wagons listed also don't have the same amount of capacity as a CR-V.

You haven't enlightened anyone. You criticize someone for buying a vehicle that you think is wrong. I'm not sure how someone could be more arrogant.

Have you not realized that we live in a capitalist society with an abundance of choices? You made yours, they made theirs.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "SVT was created in 1991, as per Edmunds it self."

I think there was a "high powered" mustang version in the 1980's, but I'm not sure what Ford called it. Maybe "that sort of high-powered Mustang thingey". Sounds about right to me...

But I don't doubt that a Ford kept meticulously in a garage for many years would survive OK; there are still classic cars from the early and mid parts of the 20th century, after all. However the Hondas are still out there after being parked on the street every night and being driven (hard) every day. Assuming good maintenance, of course.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's lighten it up a bit for the season shall we? Thanks,

Steve, Host.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    In Scape's defense, I think he actually meant "SVO". Those were the ones that packed the 4-cyl Turbos that were good for about 150hp at the time. That motor also could be found in the T-bird Turbos that (for their time)would eat a LOT of cars on the strip. They weren't exactly pinnacles of reliability, so 140k on Scapes' example must have been a VERY WELL cared for car.

BTW, a high mileage Mustang is not a hard thing to find, they are out there and they are one of the better models that Ford has produced over the years as far as reliability goes. Same goes for the Taurus, the Explorer, etc (which I know a few personally), models that Ford produced high numbers of. Its just that they built SO many, that finding a lemon here and there is also not a difficult feat.
  • Options
    Geesh! Excuse me for the typo! I meant Ford Mustang SVO! Now go do some web searching on that! This was a beautiful car. For those in the Honda clan that say Fords just don't last, this car would make you eat your words if you could see it.
    Yeah, kind of funny how that works. You don't believe anything I say, I don't believe what you say.. Funny huh?
    I say Honda is overrated, over hyped, over priced.
    I own 3 homes by the way..:-}
    Another case in point. Motor Trend recently did a comparo on the Camry, Accord, Fusion. In this comparo they claimed the interior was on par with the Camry and Accord. Yet in the issue for car of the year they claim the interior plastics are "cheap" on the Fusion. I wrote to Motor Trend and gave them word for word out of each mag. Asked why all the sudden the flip and contradiction? No answer back yet.. ;)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You don't believe anything I say, I don't believe what you say.

That sounds like a good reason to go into "Let's agree to disagree without being disagreeable" mode. :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    20k on the escape. oil change/tire rotation for the 4th time. at 15k new air and fuel filter. total through 20k about $240.
    pretty good, i think.
  • Options
    I asked about station wagons. The Civic Si is not a station wagon.

Even if it was, the Civic Si's cargo space isn't the same as a CR-V is it? The majority of the other wagons listed also don't have the same amount of capacity as a CR-V.

You haven't enlightened anyone. You criticize someone for buying a vehicle that you think is wrong. I'm not sure how someone could be more arrogant.

Have you not realized that we live in a capitalist society with an abundance of choices? You made yours, they made theirs.

This is my opinion, whether you like it or not: Buying 2WD SUV's is like getting a blind seeing eye dog.

What is arrogant is your refusal to accept that I have my opinion.
  • Options
    escapes and cr-v's are like tall wagons. why is a civic sedan ok, but a raised wagon(cr-v) is not ok?
    maybe drive62 should buy a civic wagon. brilliant! :)
  • Options
    You don't believe anything I say, I don't believe what you say.

That sounds like a good reason to go into "Let's agree to disagree without being disagreeable" mode.

tidester, host

I just find it hard to believe anything coming out of Scape's mouth/keyboard.

Ford has had hard time making naturally aspirated engines last, and he claims that there is this non-restored, all original turoed Ford out there that looks like it just came out of the show room. Either the does not have 140,000 miles, and has been a garage/trailer queen, or the car has been restored.

A friend of mine has a 50's or 60's Chevy BelAir, it is all original and in pristine condition. But the car does not have too many miles on it, and it is understandable that it looks the way it does.

So this SVO miraculously avoided all the door dings, and road debris in 19 years/140,000 miles, and is still on the original turbo and original engine. I find it VERY hard to believe.

Besides, there is a million Hondas with 140,000 miles or more still demanding high dollar on the resale market and starting up on the first crank every morning.

Even if there is ONE 1984 Ford Mustang SVO with 140,000 miles and in pristine condition, with all original parts, there are hundreds of thousands more Civic's and Accords out there performing their daily duty with more miles and more years on the clock.
  • Options
    honda's are pretty much viewed as appliances. there are untold numbers of fords that cherished by their owners.
    they are viewed as pets. sometimes they pee on the floor, but you still love them. most of them are well behaved.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Why did you have the fuel filter changed? Is that a recommended maintenance item or were you having a problem?
  • Options

I own 3 homes by the way.

(((**APPLAUSE**)))
    I believe I speak for all of us when I say "We are dramatically impressed."

In this comparo they claimed the interior was on par with the Camry and Accord. Yet in the issue for car of the year they claim the interior plastics are "cheap" on the Fusion.

Could it be that they were referring to the design of the Fusion being on par, while the actual materials were subpar? It may not be what they meant, but it would be logical.

Apparently 400,000 people fell into that trap last year. LOL, one opinion.

By the way, not ALL of us in the Honda clan believe Ford's are crap. My neighbors have a 93 (or 94, can't remember) Taurus GL with the Vulcan V-6. It has been taken care of, and now has 124,000 miles on it, according to her. Not bad, Ford!
  • Options
    I own 3 homes by the way..:-}
    Another case in point. Motor Trend recently did a comparo on the Camry, Accord, Fusion. In this comparo they claimed the interior was on par with the Camry and Accord. Yet in the issue for car of the year they claim the interior plastics are "cheap" on the Fusion. I wrote to Motor Trend and gave them word for word out of each mag. Asked why all the sudden the flip and contradiction? No answer back yet..

3 homes, huh. That gives a new meaning to house hopping, lol. I hope you rent the other two out and make money on it. Then they are not your homes, but investment properties. You never hear me talk about the rentals, do you? From personal experience, it is much easier to get a mortgage on a rental property than residental property.

What are your mortgage rates on your 3 homes. Of course you are going to tell me that you own them outright, what was I thinking.

As far as Fusion to Camry to Accord comparo, you failed to mention your favotrite topic. FORD Fusion is THE ONLY car in the comparison made outside of the US. Both Camry and Accord are made here paying American workers American wages in American Dollars, rather than using cheap/underqualified labor in Mexico and destroying the US middle class. Bravo Ford!
  • Options
    nlv1nlv1 Member Posts: 28
    Yes, I am clear that your credibility and reasoning needs something to be desired. Now I know why people seem to gang up on what you say. ;)

Also, natural (weather) events (such as hurricanes, not hurracances) are facts of life here in the US, whatever area you might be in. I'll just think of you when you get a major snowstorm in your part of the world.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I just find it hard to believe anything...

It's evident that you guys love debating for the sake of debating. I am only asking that you not make it so personal. It doesn't look good and scares off the uninitiated.

tidester, host
  • Options
    I just find it hard to believe anything...

It's evident that you guys love debating for the sake of debating. I am only asking that you not make it so personal. It doesn't look good and scares off the uninitiated.

tidester, host

Then this board will get very boring and very empty. And then Edmunds woul dhave to shut it down due to lack of interest.
  • Options
    actually i was a little low on the maintenance total. it is about $280.
    regarding the fuel filter, the dealer recomended it. there was no problem with it. it has been the single most expensive item, so far.
    i figured it can't really hurt to replace it.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " i figured it can't really hurt to replace it "

IMO, the dealer got ya on that one. If the dealer recommended to also replace spark plugs, water pump, fan belts, dist. cap, and whatever else, would you do it 'cuz it "can't really hurt"?
  • Options
    i thought i might be setting myself up for that kind of reply. don't worry, i can tell the difference between a green field and a cold steel rail. ;)
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    See, he's doing us a favor.
  • Options
    This is the reason I feel Edmunds needs to re-think its repair cost under TCO.. I have yet to run into an Escape owner that has spent the amount each year that Edmunds claims an Escape/Tribute owner will spend on repairs.. Hmm...
  • Options
    You didn't even know what an SVO Mustang was! And once again the Honda norm, the normal generalization that Ford "can't" do anyting right. Ford can't build a quality, reliable vehicle. Nope.. Its this kind of ignorance that just kills me!...
    Choose to believe what you want.. There is a guy out there in his late 40's who has one mighty fine Mustang SVO.. and for those out on the road that also run into this guy, and know what kind of car it is.. well, they will see what I saw. A beautiful 80's Ford Mustang SVO in prime condition.. :)
    "Besides, there is a million Hondas with 140,000 miles or more still demanding high dollar on the resale market and starting up on the first crank every morning." How do you know this? did you count? or is this just another one of those great Honda stories?? ;)
  • Options
    I own 3 homes by the way.
    "(((**APPLAUSE**)))
    I believe I speak for all of us when I say "We are dramatically impressed" Whoa there cowboy! You are the one who brought up the house thing and the credit report deal, not me!
    "Could it be that they were referring to the design of the Fusion being on par, while the actual materials were subpar? It may not be what they meant, but it would be logical." Read the articles yourself.. I have been taking Motor Trend now for almost 14 years.. Kind of funny how a $20,000 economy car (Civic) can win car of the year?? $20,000!@ for an economy car! Like I said, Honda is over priced, overrated, over hyped. Get out on the net. Read in other forums around the net. People are starting to ask questions about Honda and its golden reputation, and top dollar they want for thier vehicles. In todays paper.. A Honda CRV LX for $20,888! A CRV SE $24,999! These are advertised prices.. I can't imagine what someone really pays that just walks in off the street, Yikes!
  • Options
    Look, I am not going to reveal nor gloat anything about my finances here on Edmunds car boards. My wife and I know we have been blessed with good fortune and will retire nicely.. nuff said..

"As far as Fusion to Camry to Accord comparo, you failed to mention your favotrite topic. FORD Fusion is THE ONLY car in the comparison made outside of the US. Both Camry and Accord are made here paying American workers American wages in American Dollars, rather than using cheap/underqualified labor in Mexico and destroying the US middle class. Bravo Ford!"

This goes to show me how much you really don't know about these assembly transplants. I worked for a Japanese company for years. None of the Tooling, parts for the tooling, vendor support, higher management was American. Surprise! Also visited other Japanese plants here in the U.S. they were the same way. Americans were used soley as labor, not thinkers.. Surprise@! Also, ever heard of tax breaks? incentives? yep, we as Americans actually pay these companies to move here! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is around the corner for our economy as we keep sending our wealth over seas.. :confuse:
  • Options
    tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    > People are starting to ask questions about Honda and its golden reputation, and top dollar they want for thier vehicles.

I really don't think people are "starting" to ask questions. Many people have never liked Hondas, and some of them are determined never to like Hondas, no matter what.

I happen to love Hondas. My CR-V is just a wonderful car. I can't say enough good things about it. I loved my Civic too.

One feature my CR-V has that I'm really grateful for is traction & stability control. It handles incredibly well in the snow. Between that and the side curtain airbags, I really feel secure when I drive.

I've never owned an American car, but I haven't enjoyed the ones I've driven as rental cars. I had a Ford Focus rental car back when I owned a Civic and a lot of the magazines were saying the Focus was better than the Civic. I thought it was a terrible car. I'm sure some of that is just style differences that I would perceive in the opposite way if I were accustomed to driving American cars.

(Oddly, the most enjoyable American car I ever drove, for its class, was the Chevy Cavalier. I thought it would be terrible, but it was pretty fun to drive.)

But I don't think all American cars are crap or anything like that. Most cars made these days (American or otherwise) are pretty reliable.

As far as "go check out other forums, everyone is talking about problems X, Y, and Z," this is true for every model. Every car has characteristic problems, and people with those problems will dominate problem boards. The Escape "Problems & Solutions" board is full of complaints, just like the CR-V one.
  • Options
    Whoa there cowboy! You are the one who brought up the house thing and the credit report deal, not me!
    "Could it be that they were referring to the design of the Fusion being on par, while the actual materials were subpar? It may not be what they meant, but it would be logical." Read the articles yourself.. I have been taking Motor Trend now for almost 14 years.. Kind of funny how a $20,000 economy car (Civic) can win car of the year?? $20,000! for an economy car! Like I said, Honda is over priced, overrated, over hyped. Get out on the net. Read in other forums around the net. People are starting to ask questions about Honda and its golden reputation, and top dollar they want for thier vehicles. In todays paper.. A Honda CRV LX for $20,888! A CRV SE $24,999! These are advertised prices.. I can't imagine what someone really pays that just walks in off the street, Yikes!

Where exactly did I say that? I believe you have me mistaken for someone else...I haven't brought up homes or credit reports, ever.
  • Options
    This goes to show me how much you really don't know about these assembly transplants. I worked for a Japanese company for years. None of the Tooling, parts for the tooling, vendor support, higher management was American. Surprise! Also visited other Japanese plants here in the U.S. they were the same way. Americans were used soley as labor, not thinkers.. Surprise! Also, ever heard of tax breaks? incentives? yep, we as Americans actually pay these companies to move here! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is around the corner for our economy as we keep sending our wealth over seas..

I too have worked for a Japanese company, Japan's number 3 household name, Shiseido. And I worked for their R&D in the US. So, I am not sure where you come up with the "thinking" coming from there. Yes, I had to go and live in Japan to be able to absorb the culture and to think like Japanese. But, I am not Japanese. I am as white a dude as they get. So, your notion of the Japanese companies using the US as third world labor is HUGELY misinformed and erroneous. Strike 1!

Honda's R&D is in Torrance California, Toyota's R&D is in the US as well. Strike 2!

The comapny I worked for, used all the US raw materials, and all US manuafacturing and machinery. Only the name and focus on quality were Japanese. Yes, we had a few Japanese from Japan in the "Liason" position, to steer us in the right direction, but the VP's Directors, executives, all of R&D, all of the manufacturing, all of shipping, all of the departments were staffed by American workers. They was not bad either, and I was paid in US$, not Mexican Pesos, like Ford does. Strike 3!

You know what they say, 3 strikes and you are out.

P.S. Going back to the Strike 1, even if the Japanese were using the US for the sole purpose of labor, at least they are creating good paying jobs instead of American companies creating low wage jobs in Mexico and other third world countries, while the US workers have to go on unemployment and then take up minimum wage jobs at McDonald's and Walmart. Line workers at Honda and Toyota plants may not earn $70K their GM and Ford counter parts do, but $50K is still very good money for the rural areas, where the plants are located.
  • Options
    A Honda CRV LX for $20,888! A CRV SE $24,999! These are advertised prices.. I can't imagine what someone really pays that just walks in off the street, Yikes!

I paid $20,500 for a 2005 CR-V EX. $14,500 for, then brand new, 2002 Civic Si. Your "overpriced" fable has been burst so many times, I have lost count on my fingers and toes. Honda is able to offer a better product at a lower cost, but you fail to see it.

And even at $25K CR-V SE is CHEAPER (with more standard features) than Escape Limited (with less standard features).
    Honda CR-V SE (everything included) $25,910
    Ford Escape Limited (add sunroof, add side curtan air bags, add heated seats and heated mirrors) no steering wheel controls, no VSC for $25,920
    Advantage Honda, $1000 cheaper. Add better resale and lower operating costs and you have your self a $5000-$7000 savings package over the next 3-5 years by going with Honda.

I am still waiting for you to show me an Escape priced lower than CR-V, since the past time we had this discussion. You kind of disappeared. SHOW ME THE MONEY!
  • Options
    So Edmund's TCO is no good. But their TMV as well as their surveys are both ok in your book .

Seems to me someone picks and chooses what they want to believe, as long as it supports their argument of course.
  • Options
    Huh? Your response makes no sense.

Let me explain.

The CR-V comes in several trim lines. One of them is a FWD vehicle.

It isn't a raised Civic, or a station wagon. It's a CR-V with FWD.
  • Options
    Arrogance is stating that someone who disagrees with your opinion is wrong. Which you have done on numerous occasions.

You feel 2WD SUVs are not necessary. News flash for you. DON'T BUY ONE.

However, someone did buy a 2WD CR-V. Why the heck do you have to criticise them?

Again I will ask, how many wagons out there can be had for ~$18444 and have the features, cargo capacity, seating position, build quality, etc. of a CR-V? Feel free to keep enlightening me.
  • Options
    Daily error correction.

'06 CR-V LX (FWD), $18444
    '06 CR-V EX, $21500.
    '06 CR-V SE, $23060.

And that's for anyone. Even someone who just walks in off the street.
  • Options
    '06 CR-V LX (FWD), $18444

He's not lying, people. We paid under $18k for a new 02 CRV LX FWD in November of 2002. You know how we got there? We walked in, but not from the street. They had a lot for us to park in, and we walked in from there. :D
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Honda CR-V SE (everything included) $25,910
    Ford Escape Limited (add sunroof, add side curtan air bags, add heated seats and heated mirrors) no steering wheel controls, no VSC for $25,920
    Advantage Honda, $1000 cheaper. Add better resale and lower operating costs and you have your self a $5000-$7000 savings package over the next 3-5 years by going with Honda."

Hmmm, something wrong here, the Ford is 25920 and the Honda is 25910. That is not $1000, perhaps the Ford is really 26920?
  • Options
    has anyone had it help them? how do you know if it is working?
  • Options
    there are features on the escape you would need to add to the cr-v to make it more 'apples to apples'. most of then are dealer installed options. go back a month or so to see what that was about.
  • Options
    tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    I'm not an expert, but when I took my CR-V out in a parking lot in the first good snow we had this year, it absolutely would not skid. I would get going fairly fast (for the conditions) and then make a very sharp turn. What happened was that the car sort of shook all over (like ABS feels) and stayed pointed exactly where I was headed. I was really impressed with it.

Preliminary results from the NHTSA (National Highway & Traffic Safety Association) showed that stability control reduces the number of single-car accidents by 67% for SUVs. (A single-car accident is where you just run off the road or hit a tree all by yourself.) Fatal single-car accidents were reduced by 63% in SUVs.

Multiple-car crashes may have been reduced as well, but the finding was not statistically significant. In any case, they didn't go up.

Link here: NHTSA Study

Standard stability control was a big factor in my decision to purchase the CR-V. I think it's a great technology.
  • Options
    He may have been referring to the options that the Ford lacked versus the equally priced CRV; he was putting a price on such features (Stability Control, Remote Audio Controls, etc).