Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I never paid dealer to replace bulbs, that is DIY for most people. And if there is someone paying $75 for bulb replacement, send them to me, I will do it for $60

I'll do it for $55. Do I hear $50? Once...twice...sold!
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I never paid dealer to replace bulbs, that is DIY for most people. And if there is someone paying $75 for bulb replacement, send them to me, I will do it for $60

Hey I don't either, but some people do and I'm sure they are getting robbed in a big way by the dealer.

A guy I know is in the process of changing his Accord's headlight bulb and is very frustrated with the whole process. He bought the bulb and expected to replace it very easily one day. Needless to say it wasn't done in one day. :sick:

Just reach in the hole. Many have complained that the CR-V has opennings in the wheel wells. They work great for reaching the oil filter.

So this hole. Doesn't that let a bunch of road junk get into parts of the engine that are normally under more cover? I'd be worried about that up here in the winter salt belt. Any reason not to be?

How about a stone getting up in there and taking a scenic tour through the serpentine belt?

Just curious.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I'll take the flush look of a locking fuel filler door over that ridiculous pull out door with the space for your finger. Reminds me of something out of the 1960's. As I said, I guess those few pennies saved by using an antiquated design makes it worth it to Ford.
    I'm curious...what model year was that Accord? In my old one, I've changed one headlight bulb...twist and pull it out; that's it. Not hard. I don't figure one headlight going out is too bad after 11 years...is it?
    I don't know the exact year but it is the newer body style and I'd guess it's a 2003 or 2004.

I don't really talk to him about it because after all, it's just an Accord. :P He just happened to be complaining about this particular maintenance issue one day.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    the thing is, the fires are still happening. maybe they are no different from any other vehicle.
    just as a guess, maybe it has something to do with the 'cat(s) location.
    in the escape, it is under the front passenger seat.
    i don't know where it is in the cr-v.
    i have never had to replace a headlight bulb in any of my fords, even my 15 year old mustang. my wife's saab, that was another story. actually the dealer used to replace them for free. just drive in, get 'em replaced and drive out. no paperwork needed.
    the saab was replaced with an escape, and my wife and i are happy about it.

It is possible that Honda exhaust is hotter than Ford Exhaust. After all, Honda engines run much much leaner than any other engine out there. With the VTEC running on 12 valves the air to fuel ratio is about 16-17 to 1, where stoiochemical ratio is about 14 to 1, I believe.

I know from running model engines (nitro powered) that leaner mixture make engine run much hotter, but also gives you better power and throttle response.

So, maybe Escape's exhaust is not hot enough to ignite the oil even if it is dripping onto the exhaust manifold. That would explain worse fuel economy and lower acceleration numbers.

As far as the bulbs, I have always replaced stock ones with MTEC bulbs. Ever since I discovered the MTEC brand in 2001, I have been using them in all my cars. The bulbs come with lifetime warranty, and produce much better light coverage on the ground. They are only rated at 4500K, which makes them perfect for that HID look without the cost. Because of the lower temperature rating, there is not much glare, as much as a conventional halogen bulb.

Headlight bulbs usually dim with time, so I would check that 15 year old bulb you have. Or you must not drive at night often enough to get some use out of them. The MTEC's usually last a year with my use, then I just get replacements through warranty.
    So this hole. Doesn't that let a bunch of road junk get into parts of the engine that are normally under more cover? I'd be worried about that up here in the winter salt belt. Any reason not to be?

How about a stone getting up in there and taking a scenic tour through the serpentine belt?

Just curious.

I assume that it is possible that it COULD happen, but it has not been reported. Walk up to any Gen 2 CR-V and you can clearly see to the other side through the openning in the wheel well.

It is possible that Honda engineers have calculated the theoretical trajectories of road debris, and positioned the opennings such that debris don't enter.

Salt will find its way into the engine compartment whether there is a plastic barrier or not, the bottom of the engine is always exposed on either CR-V or Escape.
    It is possible that Honda engineers have calculated the theoretical trajectories of road debris, and positioned the opennings such that debris don't enter.

I see what you're getting at but somehow I don't think they covered all of the possibilities. ;)

Salt will find its way into the engine compartment whether there is a plastic barrier or not, the bottom of the engine is always exposed on either CR-V or Escape.

Exactly, but the shields on the bottom of both (assuming there is one on the CR-V) do help stop some from getting on what I would assume are critical parts. Now I'm just speculating here but it seems to me that a hole in the wheel well, a.k.a. the saltiest place on a vehicle in the winter, will allow salt to bypass any lower plastic shield and coat the engine's vitals. I for one would be interested to see how those internals are holding up on an '02 CR-V from the salt belt come the year 2012.

Any chance that hole was/is letting excess air into the engine compartment fueling a fire under the right conditions? It is right next to the suspect oil filter after all. Varmint, you have to have enough info on this to write a book by now. What's your take?

Anyone who is just picking the conversation up right here should know that I'm not trying to say the CR-V's engine will corrode away. I'm just curious about their decision to put a hole in the wheel well.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    just for grins, how do you work the bulb exchange? you don't have to drive without headlights until the new ones a delivered, do you? ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    We had the oil filter come off completely on our 2002 CR-V; I can say that it IS the part to blame. I'm not convinced that it is just oil changers causing the problem, but quite possibly the design of the part. I'm usually gung-ho pro Honda, but the CR-V let us down; not our Accords though!
    it's fun for the escape posters to poke some fun at the cr-v posters, and the other way around, too.
    this fire problem is pretty rare. i'm sure this has been analyzed ad'infinitum by many engineers. hopefully, they have the last word in the matter.
    since a redesigned cr-v is on the way, let's see what the changes are. ;)
    Yeah. Our CR-V didn't catch fire, but it sure drained every drop of oil out of its engine, making for a white smoke that would make a mosquito fogger jealous. Needless to say, the dealer bought that car back for $500 less than purchase price, even though it had 35,000 miles on it and was 18 months old.

This was a case where customer service made up for the actual problem.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Granted, I don't presently own a Honda. But I have, and I didn't see what was so great about it. In fact, I owned an American car that actually handled better, drove better, quieter too!... I am already labled as a "Honda hater". In fact I am not. I think Honda makes good cars/trucks/vans ect. I don't think they are the "best". The internet is full of information by the way.. I just help inform people.. thats all ;)
    "Also, if Escape is as off-road capable as CR-V, how come I can easily roll under the CR-V on my creeper, but had to jack up the Escape to get to the drain plug? Looks like Escape is missing a couple of inches of clearance when compared to CR-V."

This post I have to really question. I, in now way have to jack up my Escape or my wifes Tribute to reach the drain plug when I change oil... :lemon:
    "Yeah. Our CR-V didn't catch fire, but it sure drained every drop of oil out of its engine, making for a white smoke that would make a mosquito fogger jealous. Needless to say, the dealer bought that car back for $500 less than purchase price, even though it had 35,000 miles on it and was 18 months old.

If the dealership did the oil change.. and it is their fault.. They have insurance for these things... What do you bet the guy that did your oil change no longer works at the dealership ;)
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I don't think anyone of the Honda fans look at the Escape as being a bad vehicle. I have a problem with Ford's overall approach to selling anything which isn't a full-size pickup/large SUV. The Focus and Escape were excellent vehicles when they came out, but six years or so later they are essentially unchanged. They are still good vehicles, but I believe if Toyota and Honda can produce new vehicles every 5 years, so could Ford if they wanted.

I also feel like Ford offers a vehicle like the four cylinder Escape ONLY to push their buyers into buying a V6. Again, it comes down to money. Take the new RAV4 for instance, it has both a viable four cylinder AND a six cylinder. If you are going to give consumers a choice, give them a real choice. To this date, I don't see the four cylinder Escape as being anything other than a marketing tool to advertise high MPG in commercials, because people certainly don't buy 2WD four cylinder Escapes in any relevant volume.

Finally, I don't see a push by Ford to create fuel efficient vehicles. Their first hybrid was an SUV. They don't make a car that gets better than 36 mpg. For a company as big as Ford, with the resources they have, why can't they produce fuel efficient vehicles? What about a new Focus, like the one they offer to Europe, which gets 40+ MPG on the highway???

Again, it comes down to money, and while Ford seems to be so consumed with making a dollar, they have missed the bigger picture and ironically are losing dollars in the billions instead. I give their CEO credit for trying to turn it around, but it is going to be awhile before they will be able to win me back.
    just for grins, how do you work the bulb exchange? you don't have to drive without headlights until the new ones a delivered, do you?

I put the stock bulbs back in for a week or two.

At one point, I had 2 sets of H4's, but with the 2005 redesign, Honda went with H1's, which means I have to have 2 sets to get fully functional headlights (4 bulbs), and to have a floater I would have to have a 3rd set. I keep the stock ones around just for that.
    "Also, if Escape is as off-road capable as CR-V, how come I can easily roll under the CR-V on my creeper, but had to jack up the Escape to get to the drain plug? Looks like Escape is missing a couple of inches of clearance when compared to CR-V."

This post I have to really question. I, in now way have to jack up my Escape or my wifes Tribute to reach the drain plug when I change oil...

A) I have bigger chest
    B) I use a creeper to get under the car
    C) You are not using stock wheels and tires.
    D) I have no clue, but I can surely go out there with a ruler and take pictures of the front overhang height.
    Finally, I don't see a push by Ford to create fuel efficient vehicles.

You're not being patient enough drom. ;)

The Fusion and Milan will be offered in hybrid form within the next year as will the Edge even though the latter is another SUV. The new Duratec35 is completely hybrid capable and who knows what's in store for the vehicles that get it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a V6 hybrid Five Hundred in the future.

You should give Ford credit for designing their own hybrid system to rival Toyota's. Honda's hybrid system isn't exactly ground breaking but it does work fairly well. How far they can go with it is my concern. And yes, Ford's system is a gen behind Toyota right now but it's really not that far behind overall. The wheels are in motion for a more fuel efficient future at Ford but other things must be righted on the ship first. ;)

Again, it comes down to money, and while Ford seems to be so consumed with making a dollar, they have missed the bigger picture and ironically are losing dollars in the billions instead.

They lost money in the U.S. but overall Ford did profit in the billions last year. This is a common misconception and GM is the one losing billions per year.
    Now I'm just speculating here but it seems to me that a hole in the wheel well...

It's not a hole. It's a suspension pass through. Portions of the suspension assembly pass through the openings.

It was engineered that way.

I don't engineer vehicles so I won't question a Honda engineer and his or her design. YMMV.
    It's not a hole. It's a suspension pass through. Portions of the suspension assembly pass through the openings.

I've never seen a vehicle where you could reach your hand through a suspension pass-through. In fact, all of them should be sealed with some kind of black goo, plastic or foam otherwise the bolts that mount the suspension to the frame would rust away faster than you can say "Honda engineer".

I don't engineer vehicles so I won't question a Honda engineer and his or her design.

I don't engineer vehicles either but I will question those who do because I once heard of an emperor who didn't question his tailor about a parade outfit. :P
    So you won't mind when someone questions how you do your job.

The previous generation Civic had the same suspension pass through as the CR-V. Hundreds of thousands of Civics have been sold with that design. I would think it would be "all over the 'net" if there was an engineering problem specifically related to the design.
    So you won't mind when someone questions how you do your job.

I develop software, so other people are paid in part to question what I do as am I.

The previous generation Civic had the same suspension pass through as the CR-V. Hundreds of thousands of Civics have been sold with that design. I would think it would be "all over the 'net" if there was an engineering problem specifically related to the design.

You can't relate the two because they are still different designs even though they share a platform. Besides, the previous gen Civics on the road don't meet the age I specifed in my previous post yet. Corrosion usually happens over long periods of time and I can't help but wonder about how a hole in a wheel well large enough to pass an adult hand through which leads right to the engine will affect the corrosion process in some areas of the country.
    A viable 4cyl? The CRv is 156HP? The Mazda/Ford is 155? Torque also about the same. I guess you go off the 0-60 numbers? or what? engine "refinement"?? Fact is the CRV is pretty buzzy and gets loud also, yet some feel this is ok, and it "sounds" more refined". This is once again "percepetion" It has been drilled and drilled into our heads that anything with a silver "H" or with the name "Toyota" is "refined" and just better. Honda will have a hard time winning me back with those outragous high prices they demand for thier vehicles. For me, I won't pay it. I feel there is no need to, my Fords have all been fine, cost less too...
    Funny, you skipped right over the whole advantage of holding redline for a long period of time. Explain this to us, please. We apparently don't understand the advantage of not shifting upon redlining the engine.
    A viable 4cyl? The CRv is 156HP? The Mazda/Ford is 155? Torque also about the same. I guess you go off the 0-60 numbers? or what? engine "refinement"?? Fact is the CRV is pretty buzzy and gets loud also, yet some feel this is ok, and it "sounds" more refined". This is once again "percepetion" It has been drilled and drilled into our heads that anything with a silver "H" or with the name "Toyota" is "refined" and just better. Honda will have a hard time winning me back with those outragous high prices they demand for thier vehicles. For me, I won't pay it. I feel there is no need to, my Fords have all been fine, cost less too...

If the Ford's engine is as good a Honda's then why it can't keep up with Honda? Heck, Honda's I4 is giving Ford's V6 run for it money, and Ford still ca't catch up to it, whether manual or auto. (when comparing Ford 3.0 to Honda 2.4)

As far as outrageous prices, I said it before and will say it again: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!" Honda comes out cheaper every time I do a comparison of publicly posted prices, not one of a kind deal in a local newspaper, AKA "bone" to get someone in the door.

2006 Ford Escape XLT V6, AWD, base $22,694 after $200 rebate, add Safety package for side airbags $506, sunroof $498 for a total of $23,698

2006 Honda CR-V EX, AWD, base $21,411, add automatic $830, for a total of $22,242

For a mere $1456 more you get much less with Ford. You get lower gas mielage, lower resale, less features (no VSC, no steering wheel radio controls), and much slower vehicle.

If you don't care for the sunroof, 2006 CR-V LX, AWD, auto is avaialbale for $20,254 compare that to the $22,694 for a comparably equipped Escape V6 and the savings are $2440 in favor of Honda, and you still get VSC.

Oh, and all new Hondas now come with 5 year/60,000 mile "Major components" warranty. Fords is still 3 years/36,000 miles.

Before anything else is added to this, I paid off my 2001 CR-V in 2003. And my 2005 CR-V is financed at 2.9% for 60 months with Honda (will be paid off in 2008). And I paid $20,500 for my CR-V EX 5 man, new.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!! SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!
    I don't know about the Escape V-6 being MUCH slower than the CR-V, shoot I'll even give the benefit of the doubt that they are basically neck and neck. Problem is, the Honda is keeping up with the Escape on a much more efficient engine, with a lower price, better standard safety features, and better standard amenities as well, not to mention resale value that is well above that of Ford. Add in the Honda's overall fuel economy that is several points higher than the Escape, and the Escape comes out looking a little lacking. It's not that it is a bad car, just that there are other models that are better, including some that are better than Honda for some people (new RAV4).

Scape, I have to ask. You are the only one who has brought up brand perception, brainwashing, and something I believe you referred to as a "Silver H" syndrome? All I have to say, is that if Ford had all of the above comparison's won on the CR-V, I'd be a Ford guy. Problem is, the "Silver H" has the Escape beat in just about every area, save for towing, and the CR-V beats it with a CHEAPER price. Does that mean that we are brainwashed by Honda? Nope. It means that people are shopping around and figuring out that Honda's AREN'T outrageiously priced like you continue to claim they are.

Pick a new song, because this same old tune about overpriced, silver H-mobiles is getting old, and continues to be untrue.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " and the CR-V beats it with a CHEAPER price. "

Oh no, now we're gonna be seeing scape post actual dealer newspaper ads that PROVE the Escape is cheaper.
    I guess you go off the 0-60 numbers? or what? engine "refinement"??

For the layman, yes. There are HUGE technological differences between the Honda and Mazda engines, but I've tried to explain them with zero success, so I'm not about to waste my time. If C & D, MotorTrend, Edmunds, and all the other sources aren't good enough (or too biased), I'm certainly not going to go more in depth into torque curves, transmissions, etc., which seem to be too in depth for this conversation.

:cry:

If there is any incorrect perceptions here, though, it's the one that the CR-V is more expensive. Edmunds' own TCO showed the CR-V to be thousands of dollars cheaper, in addition to being cheaper at the POS, yet you keep hollering about how expensive the CR-V is. Unfortunately you can't be made to putup or shutup, but it would be nice if you would post some proof.

;)
    Agreed, grad. I don't think it's fair to continually say all the Honda owners in here are brainwashed while at the same time touting the same tired untruths. Supposedly Hondas are more expensive, specifically in this case the CR-V, but I have yet to see a shred of truth. THAT'S brainwashing.

:confuse:
    Fact is I have posted prices and VIN# showing Escapes to be less expensive than CRV's in my region. Noone believed me, noone asked me for the dealship numbers. I won't do this again, and again, and again.
    Fact is you are going to believe what you want to believe. Somehow the 4cyl 156HP is magically more powerful than the V6 200HP in the Escape. You are going to only believe the 0-60 numbers you want to believe. You are only going to believe anything and every article that shows the CRV to be be this far superior vehicle. So why should I even bother?
    I own both an 01 Escape 4WD XLT V6 and a Tribute ES V6 4WD. Both have been excellent vehicles. I am still waiting for my Escape, after 70,000 trouble free miles. And according to Honda clan, should have fallen apart after about 25,000 miles.. to break down, or have some huge failure.
    By the way.. You can get Escape, V6 XLT's in my region for under 20K.. all day long in the paper. Not just one either...
    I no longer have time for this room, the never ending silver "H" syndrome. Enjoy your Combustable Recreational Vehicles.. Yes, the fire problem still exists if you would get out of your box....
    Oh, but wait, you never clarified how holding RPMs at redline endlessly is better for acceleration times! You've mentioned the advantage of doing so several times, but haven't actually told us how to accelerate in a manual transmission without changing gears OR changing RPMs. Maybe its magic? :confuse: I know neither Escape or Tribute comes with a CVT (that's a continuously variable transmission), and neither does a CR-V, so that answer is out. You mind explaining for us "laymen" as to how that acceleration method works?

You, and only you, are waiting for your Ford to fall apart, since you are the only one who CONTINUALLY mentions your car falling apart.

I guess it's ok that you no longer have time to be here, because you don't answer anyone who questions what you have said.
  • sceglascegla Member Posts: 20
    "Fact is I have posted prices and VIN# showing Escapes to be less expensive than CRV's in my region...."

He's referring to the Thomason bare-bones dealer demos being sold with dings. Yes, they were significantly lower than the CRV prices for new, fully-equipped, vehicles. They were not a bad deal for what you were getting. Go figure that. ;)

I like new cars if I buy them as "new."
    He's referring to the Thomason bare-bones dealer demos being sold with dings. Yes, they were significantly lower than the CRV prices for new, fully-equipped, vehicles. They were not a bad deal for what you were getting. Go figure that.

And the truth comes out.

:sick:

Thanks for that Ecegla! You made my day!

;)
    Fact is I have posted prices and VIN# showing Escapes to be less expensive than CRV's in my region. Noone believed me, noone asked me for the dealship numbers. I won't do this again, and again, and again.
    Fact is you are going to believe what you want to believe. Somehow the 4cyl 156HP is magically more powerful than the V6 200HP in the Escape. You are going to only believe the 0-60 numbers you want to believe. You are only going to believe anything and every article that shows the CRV to be be this far superior vehicle. So why should I even bother?
    I own both an 01 Escape 4WD XLT V6 and a Tribute ES V6 4WD. Both have been excellent vehicles. I am still waiting for my Escape, after 70,000 trouble free miles. And according to Honda clan, should have fallen apart after about 25,000 miles.. to break down, or have some huge failure.
    By the way.. You can get Escape, V6 XLT's in my region for under 20K.. all day long in the paper. Not just one either...
    I no longer have time for this room, the never ending silver "H" syndrome. Enjoy your Combustable Recreational Vehicles.. Yes, the fire problem still exists if you would get out of your box....

Carsdirect is a reputable dealership network which applies: "The price you see is the price you pay" motto. The advertisments in the papers you have mentioned had quantity limitations, or were for Escape V6 2WD, or like ecgal mentioned were Scratch and dent sale

As far as how the magic of a 4 cylinder beating out the mightier V6, just call it SUPERIOR ENGINEERING.

70,000 miles is nothing for a Honda. We have told you before and will tell you again, come back when you have over 150,000 -- 200,000 miles.

In my previous post I have proven than CR-V costs about $2000 less than comparable equipped Escape.

Here is a comaprison of a used 2002 Escape XLT V6 AWD vs 2002 CR-V EX AWD Auto, both in black with 50,000 miles.

2002 Ford Escape XLT V6 AWD, Trade-in $10,303, Private PArty $11,760, Dealer retail $13,080, Certified used $14,050

2002 CR-V EX AWD Auto, Trade-in $13,361, Private party $14,684, Dealer Retail $15,904, Certified Used $17,282

There is a $2000-$3000 premium on used CR-V's, coupled with lower initial cost of $2000 and lower operating cost mainly due to higher fuel efficiency one would save OVER $5000 in 4 years by choosing CR-V.

Show me your logic, or better SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "Any chance that hole was/is letting excess air into the engine compartment fueling a fire under the right conditions? It is right next to the suspect oil filter after all. Varmint, you have to have enough info on this to write a book by now. What's your take?"

There's always a chance for something to happen. However, given that other Hondas use the same suspension design and same basic engine block with any incidents of fire... I got doubts.

The suspension-through-wheelwell design has been used on many vehicles. Some of them off-roaders, which are supposed to be used in circumstances when air, mud, water, and other debris could get into the engine compartment.

If there were a problem with corrosion, we'd have seen it by now. While it might take years for structural issues to become evident via rust, it doesn't take more than a single season for rust to form in small quantities. And we haven't even seen that.
    Sounds reasonable. I still wouldn't like or trust having a hole in the wheel well around here though. Vehicles around these parts tend to turn white with salt, and stay white from November through March. Any extra holes would bother me given that I know they're there. ;)
    both seem to have noisy tires, but the escape tires last longer? 25k on our conti's tons of tread left. in a way, it's too bad, i'd love to have a good excuse to get rid of them.
    other than that, 2 air filters and a fuel filter, and oil change/tires rotations every 5k.
    i see early tire wear and rear fluid changes for the cr-v.
    Ever wonder why cars/trucks with manual transmissions are usually quicker 0-60? Nuff said..
    "He's referring to the Thomason bare-bones dealer demos being sold with dings. Yes, they were significantly lower than the CRV prices for new, fully-equipped, vehicles. They were not a bad deal for what you were getting. Go figure that. "

Not true
    my Continentals at about 50K.. and they probably could Proper rotation/inflation make a huge difference..
    But wait a minute. They are not on a Honda product so they will last all about 50 miles, since they are on a Ford product. ;)
    "70,000 miles is nothing for a Honda. We have told you before and will tell you again, come back when you have over 150,000 -- 200,000 miles."

The never ending "My Honda went a gazzillion miles with no oil changes, or gas by that matter" stories.. yet when someone says a Ford, GM, product goes 150,000 its "No way, its not a Honda" syndrome...

I was told by folks just like you, my Escape was unreliable, never going to last, going to be problematic.. spreading fear and uncertaintity like most Honda folks like to... yet I now have 70,000 TROUBLE FREE read again TROUBLE FREE miles on my Escape. Proved you and all other Honda fans wrong. This is what you all hate. An actual Ford/Mazda owner with proven track record with this vehicle. One that posts and spreads the word.. You don't have to pay the extra $$ for that silver "H" to have a great reliable vehicle.. :P
    Ever wonder why cars/trucks with manual transmissions are usually quicker 0-60? Nuff said..

Nope, I've never wondered, because slipped clutch or drop clutch launches are generally faster than brake-torqued automatics, not because they holding the same speed for eternity. Nuff said.
    I was told by folks just like you, my Escape was unreliable, never going to last, going to be problematic..

But not BY us were you told that your car wouldn't last...that's been mostly you, bud.
    You seem to be the one spreading uncretainty, but it seems to be YOUR OWN uncertainty, otherwise you wouldn't be the ONE BRINGING IT UP.

"70,000 miles is nothing for a Honda. We have told you before and will tell you again, come back when you have over 150,000 -- 200,000 miles."

The never ending "My Honda went a gazzillion miles with no oil changes, or gas by that matter" stories.. yet when someone says a Ford, GM, product goes 150,000 its "No way, its not a Honda" syndrome...

Again, it's not because it "isn't a Honda" that people aren't impressed...I've told stories of our neighbor's 1993 Taurus that as of last year had 140,000 miles, with minimal problems/repair costs. It's a Ford, and it's been reliable, but it has twice the miles of your car (at least, b/c that 140k mile figure was last year), and speaks much better to Ford's quality than does 70k miles.

My dad has an Accord with 47k miles on it and hasn't spent a dime to repair a thing; that's not impressive though, as any car over $10k SHOULD give you service to 100k miles with few problems. It's when you get to the 125k+ miles-range that things start failing on the average car (for example, my main cooling fan motor went out at 135,000 miles or so). It's not because it "ain't a Honda", it's because its still young!

Don't go down that "pay for a Honda" road again unless you enjoy chatting with yourself about it, because that dead horse is just about decomposed by now. In your area, Escapes are supposedly cheaper, in mine and many others that have posted here, things are otherwise (CR-V's are cheaper when equipped comparbaly to Escapes).
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " You don't have to pay the extra $$ for that silver "H" "

You're right, no one does. If you are, then you're a sorry negotiator.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    I no longer have time for this room, the never ending silver "H" syndrome.

Congratulations scape you lasted two whole days without posting here. I was about to say "Good Night and Good Luck" too.

spreading fear and uncertaintity like most Honda folks like to

A wise host told me this forum is supposed to be about the cars and not the people.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's take a breather and let the new model info develop; maybe Ford will have something up its sleeve to counter the third generation CR-V later this year.

Steve, Host
    School's back in session... does that mean we are through with recess?
    Depends on how hot it gets in here; an occasional recess is good now and then. :shades: