Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    That's certainly true enough!

So, is the Escape gonna go away anytime soon, or get a redesign? Or is the Edge supposed to take the Escape's place?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Yes, the Edge is going to replace the aginig Escape. Aside from the awkward styling, it appears to be quite competitive. Ford is predicting some great gas mileage figures on it as well.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Yes, the Edge is going to replace the aginig Escape.

So where did you get this info from?

2008 Escape
    My apologies, I thought only the Tribute was making a re-appearnce. So then, what is the point of the Edge?
    No need to apologize. ;) I thought something changed since Edmunds posted that pic that's all.

The point of the Edge is to offer a mid-size CUV (the Escape is small now by comparison) that gets decent fuel mileage, has lots and lots of power, and an interior on par with the top of the heap in it's class. All at a reasonable price. If it's a hit, Ford can take one of the nails out of the coffin.

If you want something with three rows then you'll have to look to the Pilot, Highlander, or the Mazda CX-9 which goes on sale in the Spring. The Mazda looks the most appealing to me right now as it will have the 265 HP Duratec35, AWD, three rows of seats, and here's the catch, you don't have to take a car seat out to access the third row of seats. Mazda developed some system where the second row slides forward and allows you to get back to the third row with relative ease. Pretty cool if you ask me!
    So then, what is the point of the Edge?

I'm guessing it shall also compete with the new Unibody SUVs coming from GM? (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook) pictured here:image

They have 3.6L engines w/ ~265hp, 3 row seating, and more interior space than a Tahoe or Suburban (if I remember correctly).

It seems the 8 passenger, unibody, V-6 Pilot started a trend! Other than MDX, was there another 7/8 passenger unibody SUV out there before the Pilot? If so, I'm not aware of it, and certainly nothing from domestics.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    i'm glad to see the the cr-v now has a top hinged rear liftgate. too bad they took away the seperate opening glass.
    kind of like having a car door where the window doesn't roll down. jmo (as usual). :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    um, think murano, rx-3??(or highlander), etc...
    8 passengers, unibody, v-6? chrysler started that with the caravan. ;)
    So does that make the Edge a replacement for the Freestyle?
    So does that make the Edge a replacement for the Freestyle?

Nope. The Freestyle will carry on as well. Look for some new styling, think Fusion/Edge grille for starters, and the 265 HP Duratec35 sometime early to mid-2007. However with the addition of the Duratec35 to the Freestyle, and Five Hundred FWIW, the CVT goes away and the GM/Ford developed 6-speed ATX takes its place.

Eventually the Escape will have to get the Duratec35, along with the Mustang and Explorer, as their engines, Duratec30 and Cologne 4.0, are goine bye bye within the next couple of years. The good news about the Duratec35 is not just that it makes 265 HP/250 ft-lbs out of the box WITHOUT VVT or anything of the sort on regular 87, but that it is hybrid and turbo/supercharge capable too. Just imagine what they can do with it in the future.
    So ford is going to have 3 vehicles roughly the same size, price and capability fighting it out for sales... Strange approach, almost GM like!

I think I liked the original plan where the Frestyle was going to be exclusive to Mercury (MetaOne) and then the Edge can go to Ford. Meanwhile, Lincoln can pluck one from each brand to "BLING" as an upper crust model.

The advantage is two fold, eleiminate the in-fighting on the Ford lots and differentiate the Merc lineup by adding an exclusive model.
    So ford is going to have 3 vehicles roughly the same size, price and capability fighting it out for sales...

Actually they'll have a mini, mid, and full size CUV when all is said and done. Most other manufacturers have either a mini/mid or mid/full combo offered.

Rumor is Ford is working on an all new mini CUV and the full size Fairlane (concept last year, name may change) CUV is already a go. When those are ready I would imagine two of the current models will disappear or their names will get moved over to the new models.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Here is the update on the Escape vs. CR-V in my household. CR-V gets regular oil changes at home, so does the Escape. But Escape seemed to have developed fear of rain. Whenever it rains, 30 minutes into it, the radio quits. There is no AM nor FM nor CD, nothing. Dealership replaced the radio once, but the problem persists. Looks like Escape is due for a lengthy "vacation" at the dealer to chase the electric gremlins away. Both werfe bought in the Spring of 2005. CR-V has almost 20,000 miles, while Escape is barely up to 10,000. Guess which one we prefer for long distance drives, and general weekend getaway? Hint, CR-V gets close to 30 mpg.
    um, think murano, rx-3??(or highlander), etc...
    8 passengers, unibody, v-6? chrysler started that with the caravan.

The Murano, RX350, and Highlander are different though; they only seat 5. The Pilot seats 8, and debuted in 2002... not sure of any that seated more than the average minivan (7) before then.

True about the minivan; it's still the best alternative to those moving people more than cargo/trailers.
    escape, edge, freestyle are 3 distinct vehicles. escape/cr-v match up as do freestyle/pilot. edge does not have a honda equivient.
    escape, edge, freestyle are 3 distinct vehicles. escape/cr-v match up as do freestyle/pilot. edge does not have a honda equivient.

I would still put the Pilot/Edge closer than the Pilot/Freestyle. The Pilot seats 8 versus 6 for the Freestyle, as well as has a locking 50-50 4WD system, something that I don't believe the Freestyle offers. It also has the high-up SUV height position that most SUV shoppers want, whereas the Freestyle is more tall-wagon-esque, offering more of a station-wagon style.

I'd put it at Escape-CRV (5 seaters), Edge-Pilot(7/8 seaters), with Freestyle (6-seater) on its own.

Maybe we can agree to disagree, it's no biggie.
    Edge-Pilot(7/8 seaters), with Freestyle (6-seater)

The Edge only seats 5 and the Freestyle can seat up to 7. Something new in the next year or two will be the 7/8 seater for Ford.

FWIW, I'd like to see you, or anyone else for that matter, fit 8 people comfortably in a Pilot. My Explorer has more third row room in it but Ford only recommends 2 people sit back there and rightfully so.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I would still put the Pilot/Edge closer than the Pilot/Freestyle. The Pilot seats 8 versus 6 for the Freestyle, as well as has a locking 50-50 4WD system, something that I don't believe the Freestyle offers. It also has the high-up SUV height position that most SUV shoppers want, whereas the Freestyle is more tall-wagon-esque, offering more of a station-wagon style."

You have obviously never driven a Freestyle. The seating position is very high - it seems very similar to the position I had in my CR-V. And you don't have to climb into the seats - you just move straight in.

I can fit into the FS third row - comfortably, and I'm 6 feet. The design is simply outstanding. The FS is styled very much like the Explorer. I have seen the FS and the Explorer from a high rise, and they look almost identical.

The FS is a couple inches wider and a couple inches lower. It doesn't tow much (2000 lb), but gets 30% or so better MPG than the Explorer. It gets better highway MPG than the Pilot, though the in-town can be around 19, which isn't much better than the pilot.
    You have obviously never driven a Freestyle.

I'm not sure how you find it "obvious", but I have ridden in it's cousin, a Five Hundred.

The Edge, last I heard from Ford, came with a 3rd row seat option for a few hundred dollars. If that doesn't seat 7, how many does it seat?

I wasn't trying to knock one car or another, I was only making a prediction of how I think these cars will be compared in the market.

The Freestyle, to me, screams station wagon. That doesn't bother me, as I even liked our (gasp!) minivan we had for nearly 6 years. Very practical, good on gas for its size...

The Edge and Pilot have the look of SUVs, whereas the Freestyle looks similar to the Chrysler Pacifica wagon. Honestly, I think I like the looks of the Freestyle the best out of all the cars mentioned in this conversation; the Pilot is starting to look old, the Explorer screams bland, the Edge looks like my Gilette razor on the front, while the Freestyle is more like an Audi Allroad Wagon... clean, contemporary, and just a little bland (I'm ok with bland, it keeps cars from looking out-of-date after ten years!)

Hope you don't mind, I responded to two posts with just one answer.
    "I'm not sure how you find it "obvious", but I have ridden in it's cousin, a Five Hundred. "

It was "obvious" because you would have known of the high seating position if you'd driven or ridden on a FS. If you haven't ridden in the FS, you haven't experienced how much the driving position resembles an SUV. Also, most 500's don't have the CVT of the FreeStyle.

I also did not mean to be critical, but the driving position was one of the big selling points of the FreeStyle for me.

If you look at the FS, the roof over the third seat is raised by about 2 inches. The roofline is cleverly hidden by the roof rails.

I don't think the Edge will have that kind of room.
    The Edge, last I heard from Ford, came with a 3rd row seat option for a few hundred dollars. If that doesn't seat 7, how many does it seat?

A third row seat will not be an option from the go. Ford did ask visitors to the Edge site if they would be interested but it was purely for research purposes at this point. I've seen an Edge in person and it is a very nice vehicle but I don't see how they could squeeze a third row in there without lengthening the chassis.
    Ford's website in its "Build Your Own" portion had the third row seat as optional (for $725 I think), otherwise I wouldn't have said it. Sorry!
    glad i have my 'posse' here, so i don't have to clear up all the ford facts.
    the '3rd' row for the 'edge' is listed under possible future options.
    Ford's website in its "Build Your Own" portion had the third row seat as optional (for $725 I think), otherwise I wouldn't have said it. Sorry!

Don't fret grad! See below and know that you're not the first one to think that. ;)

"Welcome to the 2007 Edge Preview site. This site allows you to provide us with information on how you want to see the Edge. The information on this site is for survey purposes only - the features and prices on this site will change before the Edge goes on sale this fall. The information on this site may change frequently, so don't be surprised if things look different next time you come back. Thank you for helping us build the 2007 Ford Edge!"

That text is light gray in color and appears right under the AWD/FWD choice on the first page of the Edge "Build and Price" system. They did the same thing for the Fusion a while back and somehow deemed the SAB/SAC package should be an option on that car. :confuse: They've since changed their minds.

FWIW the Edge will have SAB/SAC, ABS, TC, and AdvanceTrac with RSC standard when it comes out. The Escape won't have 75% of those as standard as far as I know but the Edge does cost more. The extra 65 HP and 50 ft-lbs of torque are worth the extra $$ for the Edge IMO.
    Oh, geez. The fine print came up and bit me! Thanks guys!
    is that a cumulus cloud or a hurricane?
    it's all in funnin'. ;)
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I was saving this article since May when this thread was (unnecessarily??) shut down. I'm about to delete it because I really don't care about a dying automaker but I think this illustrates the point several Honda people make about how many more dealers Ford has than Honda and how it may translate in to additional sales for the Escape vs. CR-V (even though someone still refuses to believe it makes a difference).

If you want to see the whole thing let me know (I highly doubt it!!).

For dealers, 63's a crowd
    Fewer area Ford stores might lead to greater sales, some believe

By Rick Popely
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published May 17, 2006

Longtime Ford dealer John Guido worries about losing customers not only to Toyota and Honda stores, but also about having them poached by other Ford outlets.

That's because Ford has 63 dealers in an eight-county area around Chicago that includes northwestern Indiana.

"There's no question you can go five or eight miles and find another Ford dealer," said Guido, one of the owners of Arlington Heights Ford. "I'm right in the middle of a bunch of them."

Few tears were shed by Guido or others when Bert Weinman Ford, a mainstay on Chicago's North Side, closed last month. Guido says Ford could stand to lose more.

"We've got too many dealers. If we had 50, we'd all be rocking and rolling," said Guido, president of Ford's local dealer advertising group, noting that Ford sales are declining here and nationally. "With this many, it's tough."

As Ford--and GM--seek to recover from financial troubles, reducing the number of dealerships wouldn't directly help the companies get back on their feet. But there would be benefits. As domestic manufacturers try to wean consumers from discounts and sell their vehicles on their merits, that task becomes harder with so many dealers trying to outdo each other on price, said Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research.

It's an issue that foreign makers like Toyota and Honda don't have to deal with because they have limited the number of dealerships.

Domestic dealers "are going to wind up selling on price, no matter what the manufacturer says," Spinella said. "If they really want to get transaction prices in line with sticker prices, they need fewer dealers.

General Motors' dealers are in the same boat as Ford's, according to Chicago Auto Outlook, a publication produced for the Chicago Automobile Trade Association. For example, there are 71 Chevrolet stores in the area, the same number as four years ago. But Chevy's retail sales here have been falling--4.2 percent last year alone, to 46,299.

Ford's dropped 4.3 percent, to 36,511. Long the No. 2 brand with Chicagoans behind Chevy, Ford now ranks third behind Toyota, whose retail sales grew 8.4 percent last year, to 42,730. Honda's were up 2.3 percent, to 34,848.

But Toyota and Honda dealer ranks are not growing. Toyota has held steady since 2002 at 29 locally and Honda has remained at 25.

So the average Toyota and Honda dealer now sells twice as many new vehicles per year as their Chevrolet and Ford rivals, making their franchises more profitable and valuable.
    so what does individual franchise sales have to do with this? maybe chicago is an unusual situation as far as the number of dealers go.
    honda has less dealers than ford where i live, but it isn't all that far off, maybe 3:2.
    In Birmingham, there are 5 Ford dealers, 3 Honda dealers. If you are willing to travel though, say 50 miles, the numbers climb for both dealers, although the ratio is about the same.
    over 317 miles with our escape v6. first time i took it on a trip. it's rated at 23 mpg highway.
    That's roughly what I used to get too. I always put a couple of extra PSIs in the tires to help, did you?
    "over 317 miles with our escape v6. first time i took it on a trip. it's rated at 23 mpg highway."

Was your average speed around 65 MPH?
    by average do you mean miles divided by time? overall about 5 and a quarter hours. we drove at 75 mph as much as possible.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    overall about 5 and a quarter hours

With 317 miles that works out to about 60 mph.

tidester, host
    If they drive anything like us, they stopped every couple hours or so to get out, stretch, get a coke, and pee!
    True - I wouldn't drive 5 hours without a pit stop.

tidester, host
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    We made it 5 hrs, 40 minutes once.... left the house at 9:00 pm, and drove until the tank was dry... 420 miles..

Of course, it helped that the family went to sleep around 11:00 pm...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

We made it 5 hrs, 40 minutes once...

Maybe we should consider a "Family Driving Endurance Records" topic! ;)

tidester, host
    i run the fronts at 32 rears at 31. not sure why.
    we did swap drivers a couple of times. i usually game to run until someone cries 'uncle'.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Remember me??! I was the annoying Ford Escape owner that used to rattle the cages of all the CRV owners! Remember? MY unreliable Escape went to about 75,000 miles before I traded it? My wife owns an 04 Mazda Tribute ES 4WD V6?
    Well, this room has died.. The wifes Trib turned 35,000 trouble free miles.. looks like it on its way to being pretty reliable.. ;)
    Remember me??! I was the annoying Ford Escape owner that used to rattle the cages of all the CRV owners!

I think you just rattled on about how unreliable Ford is supposed to be, it wasn't Honda owners saying it, it's always you...like when you said "MY unreliable Escape went to about 75,000 miles before I traded it?"
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    ...looks like it on its way to being pretty reliable
    You don't seem to be pretty sure though, I sense some doubt from the "it looks like" wording. That means a huge party being thrown if it gets to 50K I guess.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Remember me??! I was the annoying Ford Escape owner that used to rattle the cages of all the CRV owners! Remember? MY unreliable Escape went to about 75,000 miles before I traded it? My wife owns an 04 Mazda Tribute ES 4WD V6?
    Well, this room has died.. The wifes Trib turned 35,000 trouble free miles.. looks like it on its way to being pretty reliable..

If it were so reliable, why trade it in at 75,000 miles and not keep it until at least 300,000?

I sold my Civic when she reached 250,000 miles. I still have the Prelude with 127,000 miles, and the CR-V is still a baby at 15,000 miles. All trouble free. Just needed regular maintenance.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    "If it were so reliable, why trade it in at 75,000 miles and not keep it until at least 300,000?"

Wanted something different..

Does my mother and father in laws Taurus at about 155,000 count? or my old Ranger at 110,000? or my moms 1992 Escort at about 135,000? How about my neighbors 1998 Ford Explorer with 180,000? I too can find folks with high mileage Fords. As much as some want to preach Fords don't last.. Blah, Blah, Blah.. :shades:
    "
    Does my mother and father in laws Taurus at about 155,000 count? or my old Ranger at 110,000? or my moms 1992 Escort at about 135,000? How about my neighbors 1998 Ford Explorer with 180,000? I too can find folks with high mileage Fords. As much as some want to preach Fords don't last.. Blah, Blah, Blah.."

I don't disagree that some Fords last. However, here in SoCal cars do not rust, and I see many more 10 - 20 year old Hondas than I do similar age Fords.
    As much as some want to preach Fords don't last.. Blah, Blah, Blah..

Once again, you're preaching Ford's own gloom and doom, not others. Maybe the only one affected by media bias has been you? :confuse:
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    MY unreliable Escape went to about 75,000 miles before I traded it?

So what did you trade for? I see you posting in Honda Accord vs. Ford Focus and Honda Accord vs. Mazda 6. One of those? You used to own an Accord, did you buy another?

Actually, since it seems to be your duty to defend the Ford brand I sure hope you put your money where your mouth is and bought another Ford product.

Well, this room has died..

Died? I guess when Ford introduces it's next small SUV to replace the ancient Escape the room will come alive (albeit under a different title).
    ...or maybe when the cr-v outsells that ancient escape. ;)