Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    At the Mazda chat tonight, a Chicago Mazda owner just lost her dealership - the property is converting to condos and it was the last dealer "in the city."
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    At one time I liked the Mazda brand. The 626 from the 80's, the MX-6 and a few others. But since they got in bed with Ford, not for me. And apparently not for Chicago either. Hardly see any of them on the streets. Hondas on the other hand....they are everywhere. But that means nothing of course.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I do like what Mazda attempts to stand for, certain corporate obligations seem to shoot them in the foot though.
    I guess scape2 doesn't want to tell us himself what vehicle he got to replace his Escape so I did some detective work (really not that hard) and I believe it was a Fusion. At least he was consistent and bought another Ford product.
    "October sales for the Ford Escape (9,603) lifted the vehicle's lifetime sales to more than 1 million. The Escape has been the best-selling small utility vehicle in the United States since it was introduced in late 2000. Cumulative sales now total 1,001,186."

Ford's U.S. Sales Rise for the 2nd Straight Month (earthtimes.org)

Not to steal Varmint's thunder, but here's another sales blurb on the CR-V:

"Sales of the all-new 2007 Honda CR-V totaled 20,413, representing an increase of 95.7 percent in its first full month of sales while shattering the previous all-time record by 3,744 units from July 2005."

All-New CR-V Sets All-Time Sales Record (Yahoo)
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Here is the bottom line on CRV vs Escape:

I recently bot an '07 CR-V EX-L that will eventually be my daughter's car. I want it to last 10 years. I really liked the Mercury Mariner ('Scape) too. But here is what I asked myself:

In 5-6 years, which vehicle is going to have the least odds of generating "dad, the light is on/won't start/dealer wants $1500/help" calls. End of discussion.

Remember, Consumer Reports says that an 8 year old Honda has less defects than a 3 year old Ford. Case closed. And this is from a guy who LIKES Fords.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I guess scape2 doesn't want to tell us himself what vehicle he got to replace his Escape so I did some detective work (really not that hard) and I believe it was a Fusion. At least he was consistent and bought another Ford product.

How is he going to tow his 6500 lbs trailer that he boasted Escape did?

It was probably the poor fuel economy that made him look for a Sedan. I hope he got a 4 cylinder Fusion, because the V6 will drink just as much as Escape did.
    He got a top-line SEL V6 Fusion I believe.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    that is one way of looking at it. i wish you good luck.
    what is a 'defect'?
    our '04 escape has had some issues. it still is a good vehicle to live with.
    i took it on a trip in september, about 900 miles. overall, averaged 23 mpg, same as epa highway. pretty good considering the conditions of the trip. the most important part was that is was a good road trip vehicle.
    CR works for some people, but not everyone.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Still don't quite understand if the Escape will live on or if the Edge replaces it. If the latter, doesn't make sense to me to retire a vehicle with >1,000,000 in sales. People do like consistency. How many vehicles (besides full fledged trucks) does Ford have around from the 70's? Honda has at least two, the Accord and the Civic. What am I missing? It's late and the synapses aren't firing.
    Apparently it's going to live on:

FV Report: 2008 Ford Escape undisguised (Straightline)
    "Well here it is in full production trim, the 2008 Ford Escape. We've seen various prototypes of this lightly redesigned SUV over the past year, but now the refreshed Escape looks ready for its debut at the L.A. auto show later this month. Changes to the exterior are obvious while the interior upgrades are harder to spot. Not surprisingly the cabin looks similar to the already unveiled Mercury Mariner although the Escape has less brightwork and cheaper looking black plastic trim. Look for the 2008 Ford Escape to go on sale early next year."

Yuck. :lemon:
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Note that that '08 Escape in those pics is a hybrid. It is evidenced by the battery exhaust vent in the rear driver's side cargo window. I also doubt that those are the production interior materials but rather rough models of what will really show up in production.

That's also a poor quality picture mind you. Kid of whitewahsed and too much light.
    Evidently you never followed Steve's link, above my post..... ;)
    Evidently you never followed Steve's link, above my post...

Sure I did. How do you think I knew to point out that it is a hybrid in those pictures? I too don't really like the exterior all that much but you still have to remember that you're looking at a pre-production hybrid which could be totally different from the mainstream model XLT. Let's wait for more pics of the big seller before passing judgement. Hybrid owners obviously don't care as much for looks right? :P
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    I've had lots of Fords, and they've all been great!
    You've found a better place for your fuel question so I'll remove the one in here.

On another topic, just to get ahead of the curve, recalls happen. ;)
    Usually when they bring green-lighted vehicles to public auto shows, that is, substantially, the production model. ;)
    Usually when they bring green-lighted vehicles to public auto shows, that is, substantially, the production model.

It doesn't say where those photos were taken, when they were taken, or that they are of the copy that will appear at the L.A. or any other auto show. How then do you come to such a conclusion?

I fully understand how you can think it's ugly but you're not looking at pictures that are even half decent. Plus it's white. How many vehicles do you know of that look great in white? Wait for the official production version to pass judgement.

It also still has a black rear bumper and some other unpainted trim pieces. Do you think those will make it to production too? It's a semi-ready for production mule and that's it.
    You mockingly ask: "What is a defect"?

A defect is when the leather in the seat wears out at 25,000 miles (like my '99 Explorer). A defect is when the airbag light comes on at 20,000 miles and requires three trips to the dealer to fix it. ('99 Explorer). A defect is when the emergency brake pads need to be replaced because the cable froze up ('99 Explorer). A defect is when your 21 year old daughter calls and says: "Dad, the Ford "check engine" light is on AGAIN.

It can happen with Honda too. But if you had to bet $25,000 on one versus the other, c'mon......
    I posted about the inside of the vehicle....whatever your thoughts, you are making this stuff up out of whole cloth, as I posted an interior shot, and the color is tan or beige, not white, and if you read the story, it seems to be a down-scaled Mariner.

And the photo quality, on my monitor is quite good.....time to buy a LCD. :)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    First the CR-V, now the Escape:

"Complaints of engine compartment fires in Ford (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Escape sport utility vehicles has prompted an investigation by U.S. safety regulators, the government said on Friday.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration preliminary review covers more than 600,000 vehicles from the 2001-03 model years and includes the Mazda Tribute, which has some similar design features. No complaints were received about the Mazda vehicle."

Fires in 2001-2003 Escape and Tribute
    It's just a probe (if you pardon the Ford pun). :shades: Have to skim the Escape boards for ABS issues I guess.
    sorry you had those problems, but a good service department can take care of those the first time.
    peronally, if feel a 25k escape or cr-v is over priced.
    my wife wanted an escape limited, so i worked to get the best deal i could on one. neither is the be all - end all of vehicles.
    check the cr-v forums, they don't give me any confidence.
    check the cr-v forums, they don't give me any confidence.

None of the forums are very confidence inspiring... A lot more people are willing to voice their opinion when they have had bad service from a vehicle than those that have no problem.

Just my thoughts on all the forums.
    Exactly right, Graduate.

Enthuasists forums have a tendency to be long on opinions and very short on facts. The expectations of buyers posting here and other places seems to be of a flawless vehicle. Even here, people seem to think 25K is an expensive car, yet sales statistics show they are not, when you look at what the majority are actually buying..... ;)
    i don't get your point, other than ther eare no flawless vehicles.
    I don't think I am capable of altering what I said for you to be able to understand then.

Sorry. :(
    posted about the inside of the vehicle....whatever your thoughts, you are making this stuff up out of whole cloth, as I posted an interior shot, and the color is tan or beige, not white, and if you read the story, it seems to be a down-scaled Mariner.

If you read the article you'd notice that the exterior is white and that is what I was referring to. You also asked a few posts back if I even looked at the link. Obviously I did if I saw the exterior pics. Did you?

That is a mule in those pictures. A close to production mule, yes, but still a test mule. Have patience and stop calling it the production version please.

And the photo quality, on my monitor is quite good.....time to buy a LCD.

I'm viewing them on a 17" widescreen Gateway laptop with an upgraded display. No need for a crappy little LCD here. :P
    Well, there are other pictures on the Net. Time will tell if the inside is altered much, then, right ;)

Nice laptop, btw!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Just found out that Job 1 for the new 08 Escape is January 2, 2007!

Mark.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Great work detective! Yep, bought a 2006 Fusion SEL V6 loaded with every option available. I now have over 7,000 miles on the car and it is still solid, no squeaks or rattles and runs great! :shades: You can see my car on Carspace too!
  • ea1420ea1420 Member Posts: 22
    I'm really surprised that 08 Escape is going to be released so soon! At our local Ford/Mercury dealerships they are practically giving Escapes and Marniers away (well perhaps not, but they are very heavily discounted, thousands off invoice), which makes a heck of a lot more sense now I know that they will be getting the new design in a few months. I'm just surprised that Ford isn't waiting to roll out the new design in the summer/fall of 08.
    Due to their financial situation, that most likely wasn't a viable alternative for them. :(
    I took a look at your photos, very nice. Best of luck with the new ride!
    I'm really surprised that 08 Escape is going to be released so soon!

The Escape has always been on an early schedule and it's early release has nothing to do with financials. For example, we bought our 2005 Escape in February 2004 and the 2006 Escape hit the dealers in February 2005. See the pattern? ;)
    An '08 in January '07 :confuse: . Almost seems like deceptive labelling. I wonder if there's a time frame limit where a manufacturer is allowed to slap on the next years' designation.
    An '08 in January '07 . Almost seems like deceptive labelling.

I thought it was kind of odd when they started doing that too but it's not unusual. The GMC/Chevy full size SUVs were released as 2007 models this past Jan. or Feb. just in time for the Olympics.

Ford has been doing this with the Escape for roughly 3 years now and I really can't explain why. Maybe a seasonal thing?
    People always want the newest in everything.

It is a sales device, pure and simple.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    '08 model designation can be for cars introduced for sale any time between January 1st, 2007 and December 31st, 2008.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Buyer beware.
    There is ONLY ONE FACT to remember: A recent Consumer Reports study showed that a 3 year old FORD has as many problems as a 8 year old Honda. Or, put another way, an 8 year old Honda is a trouble-free as a 3 year old Ford.

'Nuff said!
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    "There is ONLY ONE FACT to remember: A recent Consumer Reports study showed that a 3 year old FORD has as many problems as a 8 year old Honda. Or, put another way, an 8 year old Honda is a trouble-free as a 3 year old Ford.

'Nuff said! "

Nope, not enough said. I heard this over and over from folks just like you that my 01 Escape was going to be unreliable and in the shop. After 75,000 trouble free miles I was still waiting for this predication from the Honda crowd@! Take a look at the Reliability ratings at MSN.. or better yet The Escape comes in just a few points behind the CRV in I believe it was TCO here at Edmunds.

I no longer own the Escape but my wife has an 04 Mazda V6 ES AWD with now 35,000 trouble free miles!@ Quit spreading misconceptions. Honda no longer has the reliability card locked up. By the way the new CRV is terrible looking. Why did Honda move the tire from the rear if this was such a superior vehicle/design??
    Honda, like many others, including Ford and GM have gotten away from mounting the tire on the rear, where it was handy when one was in the bush, but not so handy or wanted, in city/suburban driving..... ;)
    Quit spreading misconceptions

Why don't we practice what we preach.

He quoted a published study; nothing wrong with that, so give him a break. If he was saying something untrue (if CR DID NOT publish a study with those results), then he should rescend what he said, but don't get mad if what he is saying is fact.

The majority of times I've heard anyone speak of the issue of Ford being unreliable, its been you. You seem to be compensating for something.
    Boy, the more things change, the more they stay the same...

Nothing changes (see an example)
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    75,000 is not much of a test for a Ford or a Honda as they have only been broken in for a short time. Heck a KIA or even a Daewoo can go that far with out to many issues. The testing starts from 100k and as you get up close to 200k.

MNF
    Right. I outlined that in my post months ago (to which I provided a link). I've rehashed that before, but all we hear is how we've been brainwashed, and how unreliable scape's Ford's are supposed to have been.