Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    What year is the focus?
    The first couple years were bad for the focus.
  • nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    Focus was year 2000. ZTS.
  • thestormerthestormer Member Posts: 29
    My first car was a (used) 1978 Mercury Monarch (Ford Granada). I was constantly replacing blown radiator hoses and I also replaced the thermostat. I didn't think those were major problems.

My second car was a (used) 1972 Ford Mustang. I had numerous problems and eventually it required a repair that cost more than the car was worth, so I got rid of it.

I then bought a (new) 1990 Nissan Sentra. At 113K miles, it needed a new transmission. I sold the car instead of trying to fix it.

I bought a (new) 1996 Honda Civic which had no problems until I had to sell it 18 months later, due to the loss of my job.

My neighbor gave me a 1986 Ford Taurus. There is not enough room here for me to list every problem I had with that car. Fortunately for me, a drunk driver totaled the car and I got more money than I could have sold it for. I spent more money on that "freebie" than I like to admit.

In 2002, I got a 1991 Subaru Loyale. My friend sold it to me for less than MV. It had some problems, mostly due to parts wearing out. I couldn't complain too much about that one.

I won a 2005 Honda CR-V. It was great. It got totaled four weeks ago. I got a great payoff from the insurance company.

So, when it came time to buy a replacement, I didn't hesitate. I got myself a 2006 CR-V.

Even if someone "gave" me a Ford again, I would decline the offer. No thanks!

FORD=Fix Or Repair Daily
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    But the CR-V is such a girls' vehicle. Don't you mind the guys laughing?
  • thestormerthestormer Member Posts: 29
    Whether it is a girls' vehicle or not, I like the way it looks (the 2006, NOT the 2007).

And I'm the one laughing...I won my 2005 CR-V EX. After it was totaled and I got my insurance check, I got a 2006 CR-V SE for an additional $300. The guys can laugh all they want every month when they pay their car loan.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Haha, that's the problem with people dismissing cars because of image...

If you like the vehicle, you are a guy, and its not a pink VW Beetle with purple polka dots, I think you should get it if it is what you want. One of the best vehicles to drive at my size (I'm a 6'4" 19 year old) was our Honda Odyssey minivan. I loved that thing; of course, I like the Accord we traded it on, too, since the Accord became MY car! :)
  • 1crvman1crvman Member Posts: 3
    Tribute basic design on paper looked great and definitely back in '01 it was a HOT suv. After 68,000 miles with most repairs done by warranty it was decision time. We replaced the OEM tires with a more aggressive tread - mileage dropped another 1 or 2 and it wasn't exactly terrific mileage to start with anyway we began to visit showrooms and do test drives. We didn't even bother with the Escape/Tribute as the basic engineering didn't change from '01 and we knew that the autobox is weak and certain maintenance was going to be a pain. The rear spark plug replacement was at least a $100 labor - stupid cost. Then there were parts wearing out that should have lasted longer along with the other issues like wind noise and light housing fogging that just pointed to the fact that this is trade in time.
    The new CRV engineering and build quality can't be even compared to Ford's. On paper the dimensions are very close - however, the ride is on par and acceleration is surprisingly good. I have had other Fords and Hondas with a smattering of others and unfortunately the domestic corporate world of Ford/GM/Chrysler still don't get it - its the product that sells. If I go car shopping the "domestic" list is short....Corvette. I just don't understand how Nissan, Toyota and Honda can screw together their cars in the USA and have better product quality and Fords, Chevy's etc. are prone to exhibit more defects, etc.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    "Wow scape, you're really stretching it here bucko - save yourself a little credibility and read what you wrote before you click "Post My Message" because you are making less and less sense here lately. "

Better practice what thou preaches.. Kind of like you posting pics of the interior of the Fusion, claiming the gear selector is in the way of the climate controls.. yet the car was in PARK!@ LOL!

Tell me how you redline an automatic transmission?
    kind of funny how CRV owners use the numbers found on the net to support CRV and all the worst numbers to dish out on the Escape.. Hmmm.... ;)
    are you doing in here graduate? are you following me? Ever owned a CRV? or an Escape?

I am a CRV owners worst nightmare. An Escape owner with real world good experiences..
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I am a CRV (sic) owners worst nightmare. An Escape owner with real world good experiences..

If your experiences were so good, why did you get rid of your Escape?

Find one reviewer (someone who does it for a living, is knowledgeable about autos and isn't going by anecdotal evidence) who prefers the Escape over the CR-V. CR-V owners don't have to defend their vehicle (or brand) like you do for the Escape and Ford. The CR-V and Honda are recognized as being superior to the Escape and Ford in every measureable category. You need to accept the facts.

Floor it. If your car doesn't get you right up against redline, that's poor transmission tuning.

Kind of like you posting pics of the interior of the Fusion, claiming the gear selector is in the way of the climate controls.. yet the car was in PARK! LOL!

And? Sorry, I tend to make adjustments to my vehicle stereo and climate system (like when I turn on the defogger) BEFORE I pull out into traffic (hence: in Park).
    I am a CRV owners worst nightmare.

(Did you forget to put the "muah ha ha ha ha ha" evil laugh after that pal?)

Um, no. A CR-V owner's worst nightmare is probably their car being totaled or stolen. Trust me, you don't carry the credibility around here that you do in your head. With every passing day, you post so much garbage, it is almost comical. Nightmare? No, more like comedy special.

are you doing in here graduate? are you following me? Ever owned a CRV?

Why are you concerned with where I'm posting? Maybe I'm YOUR nightmare, a poster that won't buy everything you post without any backup. You refuse to respond to posts where I refute something you say, sometimes I even ASK you to reply. Do you? No. :sick: LOL

For your info, one of our family vehicles was a 2002 CR-V LX for awhile. We don't have it anymore, just like you don't have your Escape. Yet we both post here. I guess if I'm not supposed to be here, you aren't either by that logic.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Find one reviewer (someone who does it for a living, is knowledgeable about autos and isn't going by anecdotal evidence) who prefers the Escape over the CR-V.

Well, since you didn't set a time limit for the model year, how about this one from Truck Trend?

"Then, there are the Honda and Ford, and choosing a winner is no easier than splitting hairs. Both provide commodious interiors, excellent handling, and potent powertrains. But the Ford is more of a utility player, with its higher tow rating, family-friendly interior, cargo accessibility, and better off-road prowess. So that's where we'd place our down payments."

Three-4-All
    Actually, if I had any towing to do, I'd pick the Ford easy. The driving experience of the CR-V is much more pleasant though in the CR-V in my opinion, and since we have nary a trailer to tow, that's why my family ended up the CR-V several years ago.

Also, the reclining/sliding fore-aft seats were a huge plus for us. The fact that my dad's 6'5" 300 lb friend could ride in the BACK seat comfortably is a huge statement (considering his friend drives a 2500 Duramax Chevrolet (with the rare Allison transmission) for his towing needs, and for the fact that they are plenty roomy.
    "If your experiences were so good, why did you get rid of your Escape? "

How about because I wanted a new car? How about because my wife owns an 04 Mazda Tribute ES V6 and having 2 wasn't necessary? I now use her vehicle to tow my two watercraft, visit the skii areas in the Cascade Range, and my favorite fishing spots. Why can't you just get past someone who likes Ford products? and doesn't feel the need to pay the extra $$ to own a Honda. That all my Ford products over the 25+ years have run fine. That I have owned a Honda Accord and just didn't see what the big deal was..
    Grad, why is it ok for you to defend Honda so, but not ok for me to defend Ford? Why is it ok for you to bash Ford, but when I bash Honda, it just can't be true? Are you seeing something here?

The new CRV is not that great looking. I saw my first one about 2 days ago. Styling is not Honda's forte. I think Honda will loose sales on this one. As for someone posting dealers not having many CRV's, they must be selling like hotcakes.. Once again, give me your e-mail address. I drive by a Honda dealer everyday with about 10-15 CRV's displayed I'll give you thier number.. :shades:
    Why? if the CRV is so superior to the Escape do actual owners rate it lower then? Take a look above at actual owners of CRV rating it a 9.1 vs the Escape given a 9.3. And look at the number of reviewers.. CRV has 85!! Escape 11??? This doesn't look good for statistics.. :surprise:
    Where have I bashed Ford without some credible evidence? If you can show me where, in context, I'll gladly apologize. I don't mind someone bashing another car, if there is reason. Bashing others' decisions for purchase is wrong though.

Have you not noticed that even I say good things about Ford? I don't hate the cars or the company, they just don't meet a price-happiness compromise that works for me like the vehicles I chose.
    Still interesting that you didn't reply to some points in my post...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It looks like you guys need a little holiday cheer - Happy Holidays! :)

tidester, host
    You may not can say the actual words on here (I don't know if Edmunds is like some retailers, but I'll say it) I hope you had a Merry CHRISTMAS!
    I don't know if Edmunds is like some retailers...

Merry Christmas to you!

No, there are no restrictions. I don't really know who's at the receiving end of the greeting and I prefer be inclusive (Christmas, New Year, Chanukah, etc.).

tidester, host
    Oh, most certainly... I understand and appreciate the thought behind it. :)

By the way, may I inquire about the "tidester" name? Just wondering if (and its a long shot) you are an Alabama football fan (ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!)... LOL.
    I chose the name a long time ago for an astronomy/physics forum and it kind of grew on me! :)

tidester, host
    Here's hoping both Oklahoma football teams enjoy good bowl games (just not quite good enough, if you know what I mean, LOL).
    I gotcha, pal! ;)
    The towing issue has been discussed (as most topics here) ad nauseum.

Yep the Escape has a higher towing capacity so I suppose someone somewhere will buy it over the CR-V for that reason alone (let's be real how often are these vehicles cross shopped?, there are import buyers and there are domestic buyers) but as has been said numerous times, for serious towing neither vehicle is really adequate.
    Argghhh. You have not changed your tune (or your username since scape2 no longer owns an Escape) in a half decade despite evidence to contradict practically everything you say.

and doesn't feel the need to pay the extra $$ to own a Honda.

At least for the previous generation the CR-V cost less than a comparably equipped Escape. I showed you numerous times.

Except of course when Ford gives it's products away. Good for the buyer (I suppose) but tell me how that's working out for the corporation? Someone should examine Toyota's head, I hope they know what they are getting in to.

As I have told you literally dozens of times, check the prices paid boards to see what people pay for their Honda vehicles.
    One has to read the whole article to glean a few interesting points including this part of the summary:

Then, there are the Honda and Ford, and choosing a winner is no easier than splitting hairs.

1. The Escape tested had an MSRP of $25,840, the CR-V's MSRP was $21,940. Almost $4000 less (are you listening scape?)

2. The CR-V has four wheel disc brakes vs. the Escape's rear drum set up. Yes the Ford had better stopping distance, by a whopping one foot in ABS equipped models.

3. As has been mentioned here numerous times (scape??) the CR-V has better 0-60 and quarter mile times. As the reviewer says Who says a four-banger can't keep up with bigger boys?

For a four thousand dollar premium I'd expect a lot more out of a vehicle than the Escape provides over the CR-V. As the reviwer said it's splitting hairs, not a knockout.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    it is an old review, but the escape still hammers the cr-v is practicality.
    can you guess why the escape uses an iron engine block?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "At least for the previous generation the CR-V cost less than a comparably equipped Escape. I showed you numerous times. "

And I showed you numerous times you were wrong. I gave you actual prices, Vin#'s from dealership advertisements and still you are right??? CRV's cost more than Escapes/Tributes... Anyone who shops knows this.

Trying to make Honda's less expensive than Ford vehicles doesn't bode well for your credibility. It is common knowledge, Honda's cost more than Fords, option for options, car for car, truck for truck.
    "The CR-V has four wheel disc brakes vs. the Escape's rear drum set up. Yes the Ford had better stopping distance, by a whopping one foot in ABS equipped models."

First off, what model? Ford Escape can be had with 4 wheel disc brakes. And, no-way does a Ford Escape cost $25,840!! This must be a Limited that come with 4-wheel disc brakes..

Here we go again about 0-60 times.. You believe the numbers you want and they are in stone. Any other 0-60 numbers and they cannot be, right? Just keep on believing that a 4 cylinder automatic CRV can best a V6 Escape. I have shown numbers from reviews that say otherwise.. But, your numbers are right, mine are wrong.. Gee, seems like old times... :sick:

New CRV is a joke. Looks like a station wagon and not a sport utility vehicle. If anything the styling will push people into other small SUV's Why did Honda move that rear tire if the last generation was such a superior design? Could it have been the outrageous insurance to fix the repairs of people backing up into objects?? And why do you still read on the internet about people still smelling burning oil, or a hot smell in thier CRV's? Remember the Combustable Recreational Vvehicle??? The issue Honda did so well at brushing under the rug? Their PR is awesome I have to give them that.
    Escape has proven to be just as reliable as the CRV. This is all over the internet by the way....Get out and LOOK :shades:
    Does the Escape offer Stability Control? I can't say I know - I know RSC comes on the Explorer.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    But the CR-V is such a girls' vehicle. Don't you mind the guys laughing?

So is the Escape, and the worst part is that Escape V6 does not come with "manly" stick. It only comes with GIRLY auto.

What do you drive that makes you manly? Ford Mustang V6 Auto? lol
    are you doing in here graduate? are you following me? Ever owned a CRV? or an Escape?

I am a CRV owners worst nightmare. An Escape owner with real world good experiences..

And I am YOUR worst nightmare. Do you own both? NOPE!!! I do!!! I can debunk every "fact" you come up with. :)

Oh, and what are YOU doing here? You no longer own the Escape, he ditched it. Maybe it is time to start pa-trolling forums related to the vehicles you own?

I think the question is: "How do you redline FORD?"

The answer is: "You can't, unless you want to pick up the pieces of the engine off the ground. This is why Scape2 keeps saying that CR-V needs to be redline and his Escape didn't. He never could redline it, and once he did, he had to trade it in.

On the serious note, every timed run is done at the maximum allowable RPM. Ford just runs out of wind past 4000 RPM.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    the point is, you don't need to wind out the escape to the max to get the job done. the v6 produces plenty of power at lower rpm's.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    No, I just come back here once in a while to get a laugh at how the same people claim the same thing over and over again. The fact here is I owned an Escape, I had Honda folks tell me it was going to be unreliable, and was garbage, yet it lasted me 75,000 trouble free miles and it was driven pretty hard. The wife owns a Tribute and it now has 30,000 trouble free miles and it gets used pretty hard too. I guess what really gets me is when people say Fords don't last. Having had one in my garage of either being a car or truck over the last 25+ years I beg to differ. Escape is a great vehicle. Now on the internet there are facts to show it if you look. Introduced in 2001, there are plenty of Escape/Tribute/Mariner owners out there now..
    I didn't "ditch" my Escape, I was ready for something different. And we didn't need 2 of the same vehicle in the household.
    How its ok for Honda owners to defend thier vehicles and its all believed and ok. Yet, when a Ford owner, previous owner tells a story of reliability/quality of their Ford product it just can't be... :sick:
    Yet, when a Ford owner, previous owner tells a story of reliability/quality of their Ford product it just can't be...

Who refuted where you said your vehicle was reliable or of low quality?
    How about instead of playing he said, she said, we instead get back to discussing the SUVs?
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    You CR-V guys remind me of the little tuner cars that pester me to race them in my Mustang...

First of all, I am certian that a stock V6 Escape is significantly faster that a 4 cylinder automatic CR-V. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, bring you FWD Automatic CR-V and $500.00 to any 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip in the southeast and I will be happy to let you prove me wrong.

My Mariner is 100% stock except for the added trailer hitch. So I would expect that yours is stock as well.

If I lose, I will give you $500.00, if you lose, I get your $500...( And yes a red ligt would be a loss... )

Any takers????
    My 2005 500+hp Saleen Supercharged Mustang GT with a 5 speed auto is a pretty quick girly car....
    No, I just come back here once in a while to get a laugh at how the same people claim the same thing over and over again. The fact here is I owned an Escape, I had Honda folks tell me it was going to be unreliable, and was garbage, yet it lasted me 75,000 trouble free miles and it was driven pretty hard. The wife owns a Tribute and it now has 30,000 trouble free miles and it gets used pretty hard too. I guess what really gets me is when people say Fords don't last. Having had one in my garage of either being a car or truck over the last 25+ years I beg to differ. Escape is a great vehicle. Now on the internet there are facts to show it if you look. Introduced in 2001, there are plenty of Escape/Tribute/Mariner owners out there now..
    I didn't "ditch" my Escape, I was ready for something different. And we didn't need 2 of the same vehicle in the household.

We challenged you earlier, when your Escape had 60,000 miles to come back when it had 120,000, 250,000 and 500,000 miles. You failed! How does it feel to single handedly fail Ford in the eyes of all Honda owners on here? :D
    You CR-V guys remind me of the little tuner cars that pester me to race them in my Mustang...

First of all, I am certian that a stock V6 Escape is significantly faster that a 4 cylinder automatic CR-V. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, bring you FWD Automatic CR-V and $500.00 to any 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip in the southeast and I will be happy to let you prove me wrong.

My Mariner is 100% stock except for the added trailer hitch. So I would expect that yours is stock as well.

If I lose, I will give you $500.00, if you lose, I get your $500...( And yes a red ligt would be a loss... )

Any takers????

There is a HUGE difference between CERTAIN and PROVEN. CERTAIN is a good guess, PROVEN is well... PROVEN beyond reasonable doubt. AWD CR-V AUTO has been PROVEN to be just as fast as Escape V6 AWD, and AWD CR-V Manual has been PROVEN to be FASTER than Escape V6 AWD AUTO.

Don't start with "Escape V6 is not available with manual... blah blah blah" Just the fact that CR-V s not available with V6 did not stop CR-V from beating the Escape. Take it like a man.

How about you bring your Mariner to Lancaster speedway on December 30th. 2 days should be enough for you to drive up to Buffalo, NY. I will race you in my Stock 2005 AWD CR-V Manual. Not showing up will qualify as defeat and you owe me $500. I accept credit cards through paypal.
    the point is, you don't need to wind out the escape to the max to get the job done. the v6 produces plenty of power at lower rpm's.

Both engines produce the same HP and Torque between 2000 and 4000 RPM. Check the power curves.

Beyond 4000 RPM is where Honda shines and Ford loses. If you have never driven a car (like Honda) that keeps produsing more and more power as you wind that engine, you don't know what you are missing. Yeah, domestics are fun because of all the power down low. But the art of engine design is not to simply increase displacement or forced induction, but to produce most power with the least resources. Honda excells at that.

Ford Duratec may be capable of producing 200 Hp on an engine stand, but not in the Escape.

Just like anyone can make Pe(e)a soup, anyone can increase displacement.

Show me one Ford product that can go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and cost less than $10,000? Many Honda bikes can. Heck, my ancient 1983 Honda Magna V45 goes from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and cost $3000 new. Do more with less is Honda motto. Ford... don't get me started on that.
    So again you try to compare a straight shift to an automatic again. ( really weak argument by the way... )

Allow be to use a tuner to raise my automatic's shift points by 200rpm. This will let me push the engine up to it's rev limiter in the same way you will do by holding your shift past the red line and you my friend are on!!!

However, I would prefer to make it $5,000 to cover my time off of work and travel expenses....
    You obviously know NOTHING about drag racing...
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    is you and your "competition" Mariner. Good lord man, the thing weighs 3500 lbs. and has 200 HP.

Drag race and CR-V or Escape or Mariner should never be in the same sentence.