Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    You obviously know NOTHING about drag racing...

There are two separate tracks. While everyone is at the one where dragsters are, we can do whatever we want on the other track. Excuses, excuses, excuses....

So, are you on?
    So again you try to compare a straight shift to an automatic again. ( really weak argument by the way... )

Comparing a 2.4L 4 cylinder to a 3.0L V6 is an even weaker argument, especially since Honda wins whichever way you put it, auto or manual.

If you want to be honest, compare 4 cylinder Escape to the CR-V. Just the fact alone that you are comparing a V6 Escape to CR-V speaks volumes about the CR-V and Honda engine design in general.

However, I would prefer to make it $5,000 to cover my time off of work and travel expenses....

I really hope you don't work on Saturdays, Sundays, and New Years Day. Almost everyone with a decent job is off those days. And if you make $5,000 in 3 days, sounds like you have a good job. Sounds like just another excuse.

:confuse: :D
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I see you still respond to posts without reading them thoroughly.

I was commenting on an old Truck Trend comparo of the Escape, CR-V and Vue posted by the host, follow the thread. The article clearly states what models were tested. It also gives the 0-60 and quarter mile times and guess which one performed better?. It also lists the price of the tested vehicles. The CR-V has an MSRP of almost $4000 less than the Escape.

But I Guess you know more than Truck Trend huh?
    Nope. I showed you numerous times that for closely comparably equipped vehicles the CR-V has a lower MSRP than the Escape. In reality you can't comparably equip these vehicles (at least the last generation CR-V vs. Escape). In a 4 cylinder Escape (you agree that is apples to apples right?) you could not get many things that were standard on the CR-V.

I haven't looked in to the new CR-V enough to comment but I'm pretty sure the same is still true. The 4 cylinder Escape is a fairly bare bones vehicle because they don't sell many of them, but that is the only model that can be truly compared to the previous CR-V. Although as we all know the CR-V does hold it's own against the V6 Escape. Imagine, a 4 banger that beats a V6, I can see why you are frustrated.

To paraphrase your favorite saying, I am your worst nightmare. I (along with many others here) debunk every half truth you spew. It's kind of fun, but a little old at this point since it's been going on for almost half a decade.
    Well I guess one will take away from the article what one wants.

What I took away is that the editors of Truck Trend had difficulty picking a winner between a V6 Escape that cost almost $4000 more than a 4 cylinder CR-V.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    Comparing a 2.4L 4 cylinder to a 3.0L V6 is an even weaker argument, especially since Honda wins whichever way you put it, auto or manual.

The funny part is, I basically agree with you, the 4 cylinder in the CR-V does not in any way compare to the more powerful V6 in the Escape. Thanks for pointing out the obvious...

You know full well that I could not drive to New York in time for your race, however, since you are being a smart [non-permissible content removed] I should point out that you did not mention which year....HaHa...

However, I am willing to bet $5,000.00 on a race that we can set up with a reasonable amount of notice. We could meet some where in the middle. Basically my Mariner against your CR-V. To make it fair, I will use a hand held SCT XCal2 to bump up the shift points 200rpm with a hand held tuner. Since you seem to believe that an automatic cannot possibly keep pace with a straight shift it should be an easy win for you...

So, Do we have a deal????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is not a competition, it is only an exhibition — please, no wagering....

I killed my TV back in '99 but seems likes someone famous said that. :shades:

Next you guys (and gals) will be tossing watermelons off the roof to see whether the CR-V or Escape dings easier. It's enough to make me shop the Rogue. (Who needs a TV when we have CR-V v Escape?) :D
    We could meet some where in the middle. Basically my Mariner against your CR-V.

Since you are not showing up in Lancaster today, I win by default. But, I am fair, and willing to give you a second chance.

I'll be in Myrtle Beach, SC the second week of March of 2007. Are you on?

I promise, I won't tweak a single thing on my STOCK CR-V. If you feel that your Mariner needs help by tweaking the shift points, do so. But, that just showed me that even you, your self, don't believe that STOCK Escape/Mariner FWD (150 lbs lighter than AWD) can beat an AWD CR-V.

The funny part is, I basically agree with you, the 4 cylinder in the CR-V does not in any way compare to the more powerful V6 in the Escape. Thanks for pointing out the obvious...

I think you failed to read the obvious, I underlined it for your reading ease.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I leave for two days, and it got heated! Children, I will turn this car right around! So PLAY NICE! :)

Happy New Year to all, I'm going out of town, and (happily) NOT carrying my laptop. I'll see you all on the 4th!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    the published torque peak for the discontinued cr-v model is 3600 rpm. the escape v6 is listed is 4850. i don't see how the torque curves could be the same between 2k and 4k.
    i really don't understand your continued posts about 0-60.
    maybe 1 in a 1000 escape or cr-v owners care about that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I'll be in Myrtle Beach, SC the second week of March of 2007. Are you on?

Well, I wish I could be there.

However, I just found out Friday that the F150 Crewcab has been added to the approved list of vehicles that meet our Corportate Plan's Requirments for 2007. I lobbied hard to get it added to the plan as that is really what I prefer to drive. I had to sell my 400hp ( modifed ) 2000 F150 Extended Cab when I started my new job a year ago. I had to get the Mariner ( Belive it or not, tt was the best thing on the approved list ) to get the $400/month + free insurance + 0.21c/mile that our corporate Auto plan offers...

So, I will be picking up my new 2007 Crew Cab 5.4L V8 300hp 4x4 King Ranch F150 on Tuesday. I cant wait. I got it for $10,500 below MSPR... ( have to love Ford's sales slump... ) This thing is loaded. I has moon roof, heated/Air conditioned leather seats, 6CD/MP3 in Dash Premium sound seats...

No more little mini van disguised as an suv's for me...

Have fun continuting the argument...give em he..
    i really don't understand your continued posts about 0-60.
    maybe 1 in a 1000 escape or cr-v owners care about that.

Actually, it was stranger who questioned the PUBLISHED 0-60 times. I was just making an argument.

To me, 0-60 perfomance is an indication of the overall vehicle perfomance. Some vehicles can lose more than 30% in the driveline. So, even if they have a more powerful engine, on paper, they are not as powerfull on the road as a car with a more efficient set up.
    However, I just found out Friday that the F150 Crewcab has been added to the approved list of vehicles that meet our Corportate Plan's Requirments for 2007.

So, I will be picking up my new 2007 Crew Cab 5.4L V8 300hp 4x4 King Ranch F150 on Tuesday.

Your company sounds very environmentally conscious. I'm sure fuel expenses get written off, so it's all good of course.
    I had to sell my 400hp ( modifed ) 2000 F150 Extended Cab when I started my new job a year ago. I had to get the Mariner ( Belive it or not, tt was the best thing on the approved list ) to get the $400/month + free insurance + 0.21c/mile that our corporate Auto plan offers...

Why would you not keep the modified vehicle, and just pick up another "company" car, that is on the list?

I mean, there is not one vehicle that does it all.

I have the CR-V mainly for the winter, and hauling duties.

Prelude is for early spring, late fall, and rainy days in the summer.

And the Motorcycle (Honda as you would have guessed) is for the days when the sun is shining and it is nice to "be free"

If I had to pick one vehicle that did all that, it would have to be a 500 hp bi-turbo Porsche Caynne convertible or something. A vehicle that does not exist.

Have fun with the F-150.

Seems like people are escaping these "great" Escapes like mad. They must be really great, (pause) NOT! (Borat reference, lol)
    when it comes down to an escape or cr-v and accelleration, the best you can hope for is average. i think most people know that.
    you won your poker game with sranger, eventhough you both were holding a pair of two's, but i can't agree on you escape perforamnce assessments, based on ours.
    Why would you not keep the modified vehicle, and just pick up another "company" car, that is on the list?

I did keep it for a while, but having the Mariner, F150 and Mustang GT seemed a little silly since my Wife has a 2000 Avalon and a 2003 Turbo Bug. I only have garage space for four vehicles and my boat. I got tired of parking outside...( yea I am spoiled, but I am old enought to have paied my dues...)

Also, at 6'-4" 230lb, The Mariner was a little too small. It was tolerable, but the F150 is Soooo much more comfortable to me. I also found the Mercury way too loud at highway speeds. The new F150 is a very quite ride. I also just pefer a truck to a SUV...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Thegraduate - Ok, I know you won't be back until the 4th, but I just wanted to mention a funny thing about Boise - we seem to have our dates all mixed up this year. After hearing only a few fireworks explode on New Year's Eve at the stroke of midnight, I heard a whole bunch of them go off around midnight last night. Odd, eh?

Have a better Roll of your Tide next year. :shades:
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Just read the 2008 Escape review. 0-60 mph in 10.1 seconds. I figured that would have to be part of the discussion here.

"A leisurely 10-second run to 60 mph and 17-second quarter-mile confirmed the 2008 Escape's hand-me-down mechanicals are starting to show their age and lack of sophistication. Some newer small sport-utility vehicles easily make the same dash to 60 in the 7- and 8-second range. Even the 2007 Honda CR-V with its four-cylinder engine is quicker."

Though it is somewhat comforting to see the debate still rages on.
    but i can't agree on you escape perforamnce assessments, based on ours.

Yeah, but do you own both? How can you compare to something that you don't have. If I don't own the Mazerati or a Ferarri, you don't see me boasting how fast my CR-V is compared to Mazeratti/Ferrari. I only compared the two I have on hand. So, how did you compare the Escape perfomance to the CR-V if you don't own one?
    no, i don't own both. gladly, only an escape. ;)
    my only posts are about my experience with an escape, which does not jive with yours. if you post stats, i do try to verify them. so far, the numbers don't add up.
    0-60 times never entered the equation in my wife wanting an escape. i tried to talk her into an xlt, but she wanted a loaded limited, so that what we got. she is still happy with it. i did get a mirror with temp and compass, replaced the tires at 35k, and put a hitch on it, so it is set up the way we want it now.
    my wife wanting an escape.

We can't argue women's logic, it was very simple. "Ohhh, I like Escape..." So, she got one. No research, nothing. It was bought solely based on looks and two test drives. One of a 4 cylinder Escape, and one of the V6 XLT. Luckily, she makes the payments on it, I would never give my money to Ford.

if you post stats, i do try to verify them. so far, the numbers don't add up.

Where exactly did my numbers did not add up?

Was it when I posted real world prices to counter Scape's false claim that CR-V is more expensive?

I posted real world prices from carsdirect, these are the prices you can buy the vehicle at, asopposed to Scape's dealer screamer ads that list a vehicls that does not exist, and if it did exists only one or two were available at that price. Once you load up Escape to match CR-V, CR-V has always been cheaper. Just because Ford choses to make a stripper model, that only a handful of people want, it does not make it right to compare that stripper model to a loaded CR-V. Apples to apples, remember.

Was it when I countered Scapes another false claim that CR-V is slower than Escape V6?

You may not know it, but Scape knows perfectly well that there were two sets of numbers, Generation1 and Generation 2 for CR-V's 0-60 times. He conviniently used the underpowered 1997-1998 version numbers to claim that Escape was faster. the power was boosted in mid model redesign of 1999, but when Honda completley redesigned CR-V in 2002, they gave it a much more powerful engine, that beat Escape 0-60 times with manual and matched Escape with auto.

So, when was I wrong?
    I actually watched that Boise State/OU game - the last minute of regulation and then overtime anyway. AMAZING finish. I loved it (when I don't have a personal stake in the game I always have to root for the underdog)! Congrats...

With Nick Saban (and his $4M a year contract) I'm hoping for at least an 8 win season for my Tide this year(which is sad that I'm hoping for THAT).

I'm back, obviously, and had a great trip. :) We took my friend's 97 Maxima - sure missed the gas mileage from my 4-cyl Honda!
    my wife's thought process was totally diferent than you think. our loaded escape limited is the lowest msrp vehicle she has owned in over 10 years.
    she wanted small, 4x4, wagon, moonroof and heated leather seats. my sil had a cr-v. my wife didn't like the side opening rear hatch.
    i didn't have much respect for the escape until i took it on a 900 mile trip.
    actually, i started respecting it after a maxima slammed into it while my wife was at a stop sign. it was pushed forward about 10 feet. the only repair was to the rear bumper and some brackets. no body damage. my wife was a bit sore for a few days, but ok.
    after that, i put a class 3 hitch on it. no problems since then. ;)
    btw, i questioned the 2k to 4k power curve post. did not see any response.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I see my name is still popping up in this room..

First off, lets load a CRV down with the same amount of gear/people/weight and then do a 0-60 run.. real world.. then we'll see who wins.. ;)
    Wrong.. I gave you dealership names and vin's showing you that Escapes/Tributes in my region sell for less than CRV's hands down. Option for option. Trying to make Honda's less expensive is not doing much for your credibility. It is common knowledge that option for option you will pay more for a Honda/Toyota any model.
    It is common knowledge that option for option you will pay more for a Honda/Toyota any model.

If it's common knowledge, why is there such debate about it?

Trying to make Honda's less expensive is not doing much for your credibility.

Black pot, meet black kettle.

People have shown several instances (such as the Truck Trend Article that drive62 mentioned) when the more expensive Escape (I believe it was something like $4,000 more than the CR-V) couldn't be declared a winner over the cheaper CR-V. It was a tough decision (as both were good vehicles).
    First off, lets load a CRV down with the same amount of gear/people/weight and then do a 0-60 run.. real world.. then we'll see who wins...

They already have. One person, zero gear, and the CR-V won. I gave the link and quote a few posts back. ;)
    Can we all agree that both vehicles have adequate, if not thrilling, accelerative abilites? Both are apparently quite close in their capacity to quickly accelerate (numbers generally within 1 second of each other, and neither is going to get you killed trying to merge).
    First off, lets load a CRV down with the same amount of gear/people/weight and then do a 0-60 run.. real world.. then we'll see who wins..

Then you will complain that CR-V went to the red line while Escape did not. There is no logical way to make you understand this argument. I don't think you understand how 0-60 tests are done. Any 0-60 tester will wring out the engine to the max. Whicn you seem to be unable to comprehend. End of story. You win, Escape is so great that you will drive it to the end of time.

oops, I guess it wasn't so great as you quickly dumped it after only 75,000 miles. Despite what your reasoning is, you dumped the Escape, which does not give too much credibility to your arguments. People usually put their money where their mouth is. Now, you won't be able to come back and state the condition of the Escape at 250,000 and 500,000 miles. You lose!
    btw, i questioned the 2k to 4k power curve post. did not see any response.

I am still trying to locate those Dyno charts.
    ...confirmed the 2008 Escape's hand-me-down mechanicals are starting to show their age and lack of sophistication.

Not a very ringing endorsement IMHO. If I'm buying an '08 model year vehicle I don't want "hand-me-down" anything.
    i think everyone is pretty much disappointed with the '08 escape. how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?
    don't worry too much about the dyno charts for either, i just drove a 911 s, so they are pretty much irrelevant.
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    To me it's comical - comparing these two vehicles on acceleration. Who buys them for 0-60 time?

One thing is for sure the Escape has very limited cargo space, compared to an 06 CRV.

M
    how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?

Me.

You apparently haven't driven one. The handling/ride is SO much improved over the previous generation. Not to mention the car is quieter, gets even better fuel economy, etc...
    i think everyone is pretty much disappointed with the '08 escape. how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?

I don't think it is.

1) No manual is available

2) Lost couple of inches of ground clearance

But, on the bright side, the interior job is to die for. And if it were available with stick, I would probably consider it at some point.
    1) No manual is available

It's obvious this is an important issue to you but to the 94% of American drivers who don't drive or purchase a manual transmission equipped vehicle it is a non issue.

Does your company cater to 6% of the potential customers for it's product at the expense of the other 94% (since Honda seems to sell every CR-V they produce)? Makes sense to me from a business standpoint that Honda produces vehicles the car buying public demands.

if it were available with stick, I would probably consider it at some point.

Toyota does not offer a manual tranny in the RAV4. I'm sure you can tell me which competitors to the CR-V still do. If it's a deal breaker for you I would think you would migrate to one of them with your next purchase. To keep it on topic, the '07 Escape has a manual with the 4 banger. I'll assume you're on the purchase list ;) .
    how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?

In most ways, they've improved it.

Personally, I cannot get past the front-end's styling. Aside from that, they did a good job of updating the important things. The interior is top notch; the handling went from good to great; safety is supposed to be improved (some tests pending); and they added some features which were missing from earlier models.

Despite all the goodness, I'd probably go with a 4 cyl RAV4 at this point. In many ways the CR-V is a more refined vehicle, but I'd accept the compromises.
    To keep it on topic, the '07 Escape has a manual with the 4 banger. I'll assume you're on the purchase list .

Yeah, but

1) It's a 6 year old design

2) Ford 4 cylinder even with stick does not compare anywhere close to a Honda 4 cylinder.

3) It will be a cold day in hell before Ford sees any of my money. Not until they change their business to cater to drivers (build what you can sell) rather than catering to no one (Sell what you can build)
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Well it looks like there will be a next gen Escape seeing as Ford is investing millions to produce a 6-speed ATX for it.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=25198&make_%20id=trust

Word on some Ford sites is that the next gen due date will be bumped up significantly because of this. It has long been rumored that the next gen will ride on a modified 3rd gen (yet to be released IIRC) Euro Focus platform which the Focus is actually supposed to get too (finally!). IIRC 2009 or 2010 is when the new Focus based on the newest Euro platform is due.

I hate to say it but I wouldn't touch either of these small SUVs right now. The CR-V is just awful looking IMO and the '08 Escape, while easier on the eyes, is nothing new when something new was needed two years ago. With so many better looking and more advanced options out there now it's easy to pass on these two. And I've owned an Escape or two in the past and really liked them.
    I was just kidding. I'm sure it will be a cold day in ... before either one of us purchaes a Ford over a Honda.
    I did purchase a Ford over a Honda 3x!! LOL!@! and have never looked back to regret too! :P
    once again show 99 reviews for CRV and 15 for Escape.. Yet the scores are the same??? I would think with the CRV being so "vastly superior" it would have at least a 9.8? or 10.0?
    The new styling of the CRV is going to drive buyers away. It looks like a station wagon, not a sport utility vehicle...
    maybe i might buy a honda, but it sure wouldn't be a cr-v. overall, it has always been a below average wagon design.
    that excludes it for me.
  • carfreak8carfreak8 Member Posts: 58
    "once again show 99 reviews for CRV and 15 for Escape.. Yet the scores are the same??? I would think with the CRV being so "vastly superior" it would have at least a 9.8? or 10.0?"

You do not get the whole thing of getting a accurate reading of what peoples opinions are. The more people surveyed in any survey that is ever done for anything, the more accurate it will be. If you have 5 people surveyed or 10 people surveyed, the 10 person survey WILL, without a doubt, be more accurate.

The Escape is already to 9.2 and it only has 15 reviews. Did you notice, usually with ALL the cars on this website, the ratings go DOWN with the more peoples rating being taken into account.
    For some reason the Ford people like to respond to posts that weren't directed at them.

but it sure wouldn't be a cr-v. overall, it has always been a below average wagon design.

Consumer Reports doesn't think so. Recent review ranks it much higher than the Escape. It recommends the CR-V not the Escape. And despite your interpretation both of these vehicles are considered small SUVs.
    any post i make is not directed at anyone. it reflects my opinion. i don't let consumer reports or any other source decide for me. i do consider them.
    my wife wanted an escape, so i did the best i could to get what she wanted. over time, i have gained some respect for it, despite cr-v posters trying to trash it.
    Um, he was talking about he and blueiedgod I believe. We already know how you whole-heartedly sent your cash to Ford and are most happy about it. You got a vehicle that fit your needs and wants the best.

I dont think they meant ANYONE wouldn't buy a Honda over a Ford - there are far too many Fords on the road that prove that assumption wrong.
    It looks like a station wagon, not a sport utility vehicle...

Like all the other CUVs that have come to market that don't look like conventional "SUVs"...

By that logic, I don't guess autos that don't look like SUVs will sell. There goes the Murano, Edge, Mazda CX-7...

Don't count on that. CR-Vs are selling as well or better than they were before the 2007 came out. One look at market prices tells me so.
    my wife wanted an escape, so i did the best i could to get what she wanted. over time, i have gained some respect for it, despite cr-v posters trying to trash it.

I for one don't trash the Escape. As the thread states I compare it to a CR-V and I think it's clear that all the evidence points to the CR-V being the superior vehicle.

For some the Escape might meet their needs better than the CR-V, but the CR-V is the better overall vehicle in terms of quality, reliability, resale value and engineering.

If someone doesn't agree with this assessment they are ignoring the facts or interpreting them incorrectly.