Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Cool, so the Phase 2 FX4 is an FX4 that doesn't fall apart in the parking lot. Good for Ford. Now it may be worth buying.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    i had bright island blue, a color discontinued by ford last november. the sonic blue is a real cool bright metallic blue. figures that they bring in my favorite color two years after i buy a ranger. oh well, w/o a crew cab, i can't buy one. im set on this jeep until its paid off. maybe then, they will have a crew cab ranger.

allknowing- no, the phase 2 FX4 is the one that supposedly "broke down in the parking lot". i wonder if that person knows how famous his/her unfortunate accident really turned out to be. i don't think anything ever fell apart, it was the torsen lsd that malfunctioned. again, the lsd is more real world usable, thus the reason ford is not going to a locker. a lsd will get people out of 99% of any off-road situation, plus help out on-road w/o being an open t/c like the toyota locker. ill take a lsd anyday towing a boat out of water compared to an open axle like the toyota trd's are in 2hi. who wants to worry about shifting into 4lo just to tow out a boat. oh wait, my friend use to do that when he had a '94 toyota 4x4 4-cylinder. it wouldn't tow the two jet skis out in 2hi. pitiful. my ZR2 (what i had at the time to tow my two skis) would have towed out a cabin cruiser.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    not FX4-RWU (real world usable). Hehe, thats the point. I mean, why not put the torsen in 2xs and a locker in the - and I quote - "ultimate off roader" and truck for "true off road enthusiasts." Ford said, "To better understand how the Ranger FX4/Level II came to be, one need not look further than real-world off-roader truck meets." Show me an off road comp. where even one of the trucks uses an LSD.

Thats all Im sayin on this subject.

My friend this, that... I could do this... You were just complaining about how things were the same one year ago.
    Wow, Ford had a major recall on the FX4 just because one person supposedly broke down in a parking lot??? I guess Ford should have looked into the story before they had a recall and spent all that money replacing parts without reason. Most car companies wait until at least two people complain before they replace a major component don't they?
    a major recall?????? 800 affected units? and not all of them even faulty? is that what you call a "major recall?" please. a major recall is the one toyota is in right now with it's sludge engines locking up at 40K. a major recall is what gm is in right now with its suvs. a major recall is the ford/firestone recall two years ago. the FX4 was anything but major. not all of them affected, just a faulty part hence only FX4's being recalled. give me a manual transmission and a person with no consideration for the vehicle and ill show you busted axles and twisted driveshafts all day long. its not hard to do. im not making excuses, im sure the part was faulty. but i don't see them switching to another maker for their non-clutch lsd. i used that one story because that's the only story you toyota guys can come up with where a torsen has failed.

whoever- i use to load dirt bikes and atv's all the time in full-size ford trucks (in my MX days). never did i dent any part of the bed, not even driving them into the cab and using it as a stop. a super-duty bed being dented by an atv? whatever. a tacoma bed being dented by a cooler? i'd believe that.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    but it's funny if you think about it: they've recalled half the vehicles of that model. And yes, this was the only story we could come up with, after all, that parking lot accident (as well as a couple of others: they didn't recall it based on 1 blown diff but when a pattern emerged) was the one that got all exposure: "offroad" truck blowing its' diff in a grocery shop parking lot.

Bundy: show us some proof of your "dented by a cooler" info. I certainly see a lot of TTORA guys running around with chains and coolers in the beds, and they don't seem all dented up.
    here's what a tacoma owner said himself.

#524 of 556 Bed by mtngal Jul 16, 2002 (11:36 pm)
    There are 2 things I noticed about the bed. The first is that it seems like it is shallower - the sides aren't as tall as our old '88 Nissan hardbody or even the S-15 (though that could be faulty memory - we bought it the first year it came out and only kept it for a couple of years). But what I was referring to is that the metal does dent and scratch much easier. I've never had a bed liner - just shells, campers or nothing on the various pickups I've owned. The Nissan's bed was hardly scratched when we sold it (11 years, 290,000 miles, and at least 5 years use as a courier vehicle after we bought it). The Tacoma already is showing paint scratches from a cooler riding in the back and a dent (not a huge one or anything). I would definitely get a bed liner for it.

It isn't fair to compare it to my last '76 Chevy. That had carried a camper for 50,000 miles before I bought it, and then I used it to haul hay, grain, wood shavings, tack and a horse trailer. I don't think I added much to the collection of scratches and dents it already had, but it looked like what it was - a beat up old farm truck. I sold that one in very good working condition with 125,000 miles on it in '92

scorpio- half the vehicles? do you really think manual FX4's make up half of its production? no way. i would bet that more than 95% of all FX4's have automatics. bring over your trd tacoma, its a manual isn't it? ill have the drivetrain screaming and leaking after an hour of abuse. like i said, it isn't hard; especially on a concrete surface.
    You may get the drivetrain to leak but I'll bet the Tacoma's fuel pump will still work and the truck will start.:)
    is not indigenous to Tacoma only: I see plenty of Rangers with busted up beds. Yes, my bed is scratched up from coolers, toolboxes and all, but I don't care. I'm going to spray it with liner at some point, and the problems will all go away.

As for your "hour of abuse": I'm sure the parking lot accident occured after the owner smoked tires for an hour....yes.....absolutely...there's nothing wrong with Ford.....Ford is perfect....If I recall correctly, the owner gave it a little too much gas in a parking lot and boom, there goes rear axle.
    On the other hand: I've seen Tacoma smoke tires (real smoke) for maybe 30 seconds.....he still seems to be driving.

What was the production run of FX4? Like 2000 units. Care to back up your "more than 95% of all FX4s are auto" statement?
    Because I tell you:
    If 800 recalled units were the manual ones, then it'd at most be 5% of the whole FX4 run last year. 16000 is a whole lot of FX4s not to be seen anywhere.
    yes, but at least my liberty started after a new fuel pump was fitted. unlike so many new toyota engines which locked up at 40K due to sludge problems, right? and care to comment on tacoma's camry sized a-arms and the rest of the thin chassis- compared to my new jeeps solid iron a-arms and coil suspension?? shoot, id take you off-road in my new jeep. 8 inches of up and down travel all around and a vehicle that will turn on a nickel and give you a quarter change would leave your tacoma scratching it's head.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    "I see plenty of Rangers with busted up beds." Have you seen any Rangers with beds in pristine condition?

"If I recall correctly, the owner gave it a little too much gas in a parking lot and boom, there goes rear axle."

LMAO. I'm sure it was only a tiny amount of "little too much" gas, just like so many single vehicle accidents were caused by a dog that ran across the road. It all smacks of personal reconciliation.

You can say what you will the 3rd (4th or 5th) party recollection, but common sense would say he was doing a little more than a "little too much" gas.

The Torsen representative stated in the same forum that the failure only occurs in Peak Torque events. NHTSA says "THE REAR AXLE DIFFERENTIAL CASE COULD FRACTURE UNDER A HIGH TORQUE EVENT SUCH AS WHEN CUSTOMERS ACCELERATE RAPIDLY FROM A STOP OR WHEN A SPINNING TIRE SUDDENLY GAINS TRACTION".

Sure sounds like a little too much gas to me.

Finally what you may have seen first hand may be undeniable truth to your eyes, but any analytical approach will falsify the test by lack of control of the circumstances. Not everything can be submitted to a litmus test. 1096 units recalled, and the best count I've seen was 4 to 8 vehicles accually broke. That sounds like making a mountain out of a molehill.
    You would really take on a Tacoma 4x4 TRD with your new ride in an off road contest and expect to win. Is that what you are saying here? Just checking. Go flex out that liberty and take some pics, you might find that its a total of 8", 4 up and 4 down. I am sure that my back axle flexes way more than 8 inches - if someone would tell me how high the bump stop is I could be sure.

And since you brought it up, I thought from the first time I laid eyes on one, that the Liberty had some pencil thin lower control arms, they actuall have a 90 deg bend in them don't they, that's not a little weak?
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    over the last 6 years, there's been about 20 recalls to the ranger and 3 for the tacoma. Say what you will, but that's not too impressive if you're a ranger fan.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I think if you go out and measure you will find that your rear axle has close to 8" of travel and probably no more.
    Hmm.....so does that mean that actual 3000 sludged up 3.0L engines are not a big deal? There are few million (I think 3M) of them on the road.....that sounds like making a mountain out of a molehill.

As for blown diffs: maybe it's not a big deal. It's just strange to see an "offroad" truck blow a diff in a parking lot. How much "a little too much gas" is it? You be the judge. Parking lots aren't drag strips.
    I actually don't recall saying anything about sludged up Toyota engines, but it is good to know that Toyota has finally owned up on that problem instead of the previous denial and blame.

When the powers that be say it was a peak Torque event, slipping tires that suddenly catch, etc, you would be silly to think it happened as they were just cruising around parking lot. All I can say is your argument based on 3rd person testimony is, well, laughable. Ever play the telephone game? I am sure all parties involved are perfectly unbiased, too.

Anyways I am glad you think that is such a big deal, but quite frankly, that is about the only thing you can say about the Ranger lately. Maybe it is time to bring up the locker debate again?
    Why bring up the locker debate? Why don't we look into the Ranger problems forum instead?

msg #488 sounds interesting: a whole range of problems, some of which tbunder has accused Toyota of having, like water in the cab. Well, there's an example of a Ranger with water in the cab. #492 is interesting too.....new trucks arent supposed to do that.

Anyway, toyota.com is starting to list 2003 vehicles, Tundra is there already, although without any major updates (except an iForce supercharger available from TRD. Pricey, but very nice), and 4Runner/Tacoma ought to be up there soon. Then we'll start the whole thing again, this time with new Tacoma specs.
    we all know exactly what you and tbunder (Ok, mainly tbunder) would be saying if the almighty tacoma locker started crapping out - whether it was due to driver abuse or not. we wouldn't hear the end of it.
    Frankly, I really don't think the FX4 diff thing is all that big of a deal either, but don't act all surprised when Taco fans start poking fun at it.
    I guess that is about the only thing scoprio can come up with lately, and it's old news to boot. Now I guess the Ranger Problem forum was the next thing he could find to keep up the momentum.... Maybe I should read through the Tacoma Problem thread, but what conclusive evidence does that prove?

Ok, scoprio, you got us Ford Fans! And I thought water would never ever be found inside the cab of one of our trucks. We also believe that a motor mount would never be installed incorrectly or fail (492).

Too bad Spoog isn't around anymore, he would at least find new material occasionally.
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    What the heck are all you people talking about. Don't you get sick of this rhetoric at some point? All this talk about sludged up engines, blown rear differentials, scratched up beds? You people need to get a new hobby. Who really cares. I think a Ranger is junk and you think a Toyota is junk. What's the difference as long as you are personally happy with your purchase. This web site is starting to really bore me (yawn!).

Take care and I'll see you where only the loggers dare to tread..........Steelman.
    yes, it's what im saying here. since ive got my BFG all-terrains on my jeep, id gladly take you anywhere you want to go. but bring a tow rope, you'll get stuck- 4x4 or not. pencil thin lower control arms? read and learn my friend.

http://www.jeep.com/liberty/suspension/details.html

also, this article pretty much sums up what ive been saying about the liberty, and what you didn't know about the liberty. yeah, it'll go get groceries, but it will also take them back to camp. hmm, how much ground clearance did you say your tacoma had? hehe

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/46722/article.html

you will notice that I said a 4x4 tacoma, thus neglecting me from having to back myself up, hehe. But it is completely ludacrous to say that you could hang with a locked tacoma offroad, sorry. You can't even clear 31s w/o a mild lift. A rock of any size would be just like a wall.

Go on and admit what you got the thing for and be done with it. I defended you when folks made fun of it - and I thought for a little while you were gonna be realistic about it. I don't like em, but I think they are neat vehicles. However, to say that Jeep did not bring them out so that posers would buy it just for the 4x4 on the side is a joke. If they had wanted for folks to get it for its capabilities they would have at least put a solid axle under it, even GCs still have them. You are exactly why they came out with the Liberty and thats all there is to it. Now we are having to pay for your blindness. And you called my truck "not even a real truck," - give me a freakin break. Im tired of listening to this crap. But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong. You can just keep posting those links to Jeeps "totally unbiased" website and Ill keep saying exactly this: YOU ARE THE REASON WHY THE LIBERTY SELLS SO WELL. Jeeps marketers are rippin' geniuses. Does it have unibody construction, and, if so, could you explain the pros and cons of having no frame?
    you're starting to sound ignorant. it does have a frame, it's body is welded to the frame. it is more rigid than a frame. please read and learn before you post stuff like your last post. you sound really dumb.

"i dont like them, but i think they're neat vehicles". that makes sense my man. go drag race your 4x2. you sound funny mr. no transfer case man. to rip on a liberty when you don't even have a t/c is ludicrous. and what about those iron a -arms? conceding that one?
    saddaddy is right. Any rock, any step is like a wall for them. Yeah, you got better entry/departure angle than Tacomas, but without decent tires you won't be able to take advantage of them. It'll be your bumper that takes all the abuse and the components behind it...like the advertised 2 gallon windshield fluid reservour. I've seen a 3" lifted Liberty offroad....he tried to go up a step (I'm trying to find some pix for you), busted the bumper and ruptured the reservour. And that was WITH rock stacking.

You can't lift Liberty very well: GC, C and W actually look good lifted with big tires. Liberty looks......well...you'll find out.
    you're starting to sound ignorant. it does have a frame, it's body is welded to the frame. it is more rigid than a frame. please read and learn before you post stuff like your last post. you sound really dumb.

"i dont like them, but i think they're neat vehicles". that makes sense my man. go drag race your 4x2. you sound funny mr. no transfer case man. to rip on a liberty when you don't even have a t/c is ludicrous. and what about those iron a -arms? conceding that one?
    I've been in the TTORA club for 8 month now, been on many runs, some actually pretty hard ones (rode shotgun).....I've never seen or even heard of anyone on the board busting A-arms. What's that obsession with them, tbunder?
    as you'll remember, i hate lifts. and i have new BFG tires. equivalent to 30x9.50/15. no lift required. they fit fine and are just .5 taller than stock. no i have no locker. but i could get one if needed. yeah, the stock lib tires suck. what oem tires dont? that's why i changed them. got five of 'em. no worries here. only 339 miles, so still not broke in. id love to see those pics though.
    thats why it was a question. Someone told me something that I wasn't sure about, so I asked you. Is that a problem? What good is a transfer case if it never engages? Answer that one for me, mallrunner.

U hate lifts, isn't that convenient. I hate posers who think they are the best thing since sliced bread and all they have is 30 inch tires, I know a guy that drives a Ranger just like that. And no, Im not conceding anything. You can't prove jack about any A-arms. Find a report of even one breaking. Take that challenge and you might conclude that they are better made than Ford Ranger axles and Liberty fuel pumps. How can anyone sing the praises of a new vehicle when they needed a loaner after a week. Ridiculous, even for you.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Man! That was a good laugh!
    How much ground clearance DID I say my taco had? I don't recall any remark about ground clearance.

There is a thread at the taco board now, that I started. A few guys there wheel with liberties a good bit they say. With lockers they do pretty good, apparently. However, it is a consensus that they need at least 4 inches of lift in order to have enough ground clearance to do anything in the way of hanging with stock tacomas. Whats the number on liberty g/c?

Liberties will walk the dog on anything in their class, probably. But you went too far when saying that they can do everything a tacoma will. Honestly I would be arguing just as hard if you had said the Lib could hang with an FX4, its just wrong.
    Did you test drive the Xterra at all before you bought your Liberty? If so, what did you like/dislike about it? I've kinda got my eye on an Xterra, even if the V6 is a little underpowered.
    yes, i did test-drive an Xterra. very nice vehicle, but here's what the jeep sold me on. the Xterra's low range gearing is extremely tall. on the jeep liberty (only) when in four-lo, the idle automatically adjusts itself for a higher idle which is nice as you don't have to feather the gas pedal when cruising real slow. and it is a very low crawl in 4-lo. also, the jeep has dana axles all the way around. that alone should sell a prospective off-roader.
    the Xterra feels extremely tinny. on the other hand, the liberty feels like a sherman tank when closing a door. it is very quiet and the door mounts are huge and bolted to the body. it also is pretty hefty in weight and gets good crash test scores.
    Xterra's are all over the place, whereas libs are still kind of a rare sight although they are getting more common.
    the Xterra is kind of under-powered, but it does a good job with what it has. otoh, the liberty flat out hauls [non-permissible content removed]. at least as quick as my ranger if not quicker since it has less tranny gears.
    lib offers an off-road pkg with real tow hooks and solid steel skidplates under the fuel tank, t/c, and all libs get a solid skidplate under the engine/susp up front.
    with some BFG tires, the liberty im assuming is vey hard to beat in tight trails. it's short wheelbase and short overhangs will take it a lot of places other vehicles wouldn't dare.
    i compare these two because i like them both. the Xterra is just too old hat for me. the liberty is a very well thought out vehicle, it even has a water deflector in front of the air intake. pretty trick. plus, it has nice hydraulic hood holder uppers and not a cheap bar. my jeep barely stickered over $22K and it has power everything and CD and auto. nothing else can touch that price for it's capability. all i got was the BFG's. and the fifth one hanging back there on the steel jeep rims looks real tough. the nissan is a nice vehicle though. but to get a nice looking one, you have to get the SE model which is at least $26K. a cool Xterra would be the one with just the enthusiast's pkg. it basically has nothing except what an off-road enthusiast would want. manual hubs, no power, steel wheels and stuff like that. you'd have to order that to get it. no nissan dealer will stock such a special vehicle. good luck. go drive both unless you are totally ruling out the jeep. but i highly recommend one.
    ground clearance on my jeep.
    front susp. clearance between the axles is 10.5.
    rear susp. clearance at middle of axle is 8.75.
    i have stock sized BFG tires on it. i do believe you don't have much of an advantage if any on your tacoma.
    im not saying the lib can do everything a tacoma or ranger, just that they may do better off-road. i would never jump a jeep liberty.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Been a while since I visited here.

In another Edmunds Forum, the topic diverged a bit, and it was posted:
    --------------
    "Yes, the rear axle of Tacoma/4Runner/Tundra/Sequoia (all the same size) are not of a 1-ton truck; however, it's wheel bearings, joints, etc. are! (Please RE-read what i wrote.) Axle size of the 4Runner is more than adequate for an SUV it's size. (Just the fact that the 4Runner has the same axle as the Sequoia is pretty impressive!) In addition, the 4Runner also has 4.10 axle ratio...with a "crawl ratio" of 29.5, which is better than most other off-roading SUV in it's class, including the Xterra, Pathfinder, Explorer, and Land Rover Discovery!

The '02 4Runner does NOT need a rear locker. Why? Because it has 4-wheel traction system, similar to ones use on Land Rover Discover, Land Cruiser, etc. It able to provide ONE wheel traction (if the 3 other wheels have no traction). Before 2000, 4Runner HAD the same locker that is found on the Tacoma...but when 2001 were updated with this 4-wheel traction control, the locker became obsolete."

-----------end quote--

My questions:
    a. Are the wheel bearings and joints the same size on all Toyota trucks?
    b. Is that size (bearings/joints) equavilant to what I'd find on my F250 SuperDuty or F350?
    c. Is the 4runner 4x4 system (which has no locker) really better than a locker?
    d. If so, does the Tacoma have this superior system as well?
    --------------
    a- probably. all small corporate. the tacoma's drivetrain is the same as the tundra so it's been said around here. and since the tundra is just the sequoia (sp?)in a pickup form means they may very well be the same. however, is this impressive? depends if you think toyota's corporate axles are impressive. imo, they can't be compared to dana axles. you don't see true off-roaders running around swapping out their dana axles for toyota corporates. same with nissan.

b- uh, no. use a little common sense here bess. comparing a super-duty to anything toyota builds is just ludicrous.

c- hmmm, good question. i guess if you have at least one wheel spinning if the others don't have any traction, that's a good thing. but it sure sounds like a lsd to me.

d- no. just a locker, or open diff when not ordered with TRD pkg. or locker as a separate option. and when not locked, it's an open diff.
    I won't even bother trying to answer your first 2 questions, but as for the 4wd systems, the 4-runner (2001 models and higher) uses a full-time 4wd setup whereas the Tacoma uses part-time 4wd. The Tacoma's locker is an "augmentation" to its 4wd system.
    Full-time 4wd is great becuase it's virtually idiot-proof. It's similar to all-wheel drive in that it's always on and you can use it on dry pavement. Part-time 4wd is manually controlled by the driver, and can only be used on slippery surfaces. I'm sure many people would say that full-time 4wd is "superior," but it really depends on what you use the vehicle for. I tend to favor part-time as it's durable, simple, and cheap. I also like that it's controlled by me. I know when the road is slippery; I know when I need the 4wd engaged. I don't need a computer guessing for me. Hope that helps.
    and the only modification to 2003 Taco is a standard ABS. Oh well.....4Runner will be unveiled on the 10th, we'll know then for sure.
    Thats some tech. that Rangers won't see for awhile, I bet.
    sad- just how is the throttle controlled on a ranger? magic?

it only took eight years for toyota to offer abs standard. hmmm, now that's a big deal i see. an afterthought in ranger land. i understand though, when you guys get something like a sliding window you're ecstatic. a cd player? instantaneously ravenous.
    where did you hear that??
    Haha. You should have been a stand-up comedian.
    Sliding window? Don't matter...it's nice, but not something worth raving about. CD player? Who cares......I can go and buy one cheaper.

As for ABS: Seeing how Tacoma was a very popular truck with offroader crowd, having ABS only makes life worse. I'm sure someone will rig up a on-off switch soon so people can offroad without ABS getting in a way. But watch out, bundy.....Toyota is catching up onto your "We get this standard, we get that standard"....remember how you went on and on about why ABS was something people just HAD to have in order to survive on the road? Well, it's here now. Pretty soon there'll be 2 suicide doors in the Xtracab Tacoma. Your list of standard equipment over optional equipment on Taco grows thin.
    hehe. woohoo, we're impressed. yeah, catching up.

well, i figured SOMEONE who drove a toyota would copy what jeep has already done with the liberty. ie. when an abs equipped liberty is engaged into 4-lo, abs is automatically shut down. too bad toyota didn't think of that on their big bad off-roader.

there's only one.

here, read about the abs defeat.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/45676/page001.html

• smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    It works the sameway on Toyota, if in 4lo the ABS is disabled.... Imagine having a Locker engaged and ABS activating..! Not pretty.
    tbunder is wrong again. What else is new?

I didn't know about ABS and 4lo for a simple enough reason: I don't have ABS, and don't care for it.
    Thanks, smgilles, for pointing this one out.

well, I figured SOMEONE who praised FX4 would copy what jeep has done with the Wrangler Rubicon: full time LSD/air locker. Now THAT is cool.
    If Im not mistaken, Rangers use cables for their throttle just like 90% of all other vehicles on the road right now and just like Tacos do now. Sorry if I was wrong and Ford is putting cutting edge drive-by-wire technology in them, but I don't think that's the case. Not trying to cut down the Rangers, it just doesn't seem very "Ford-esque" IMO. Take that how you will. This is just what I heard so it might not come thru, but its one more thing that the Ranger doesn't have. Or are you going to tell me that Rangers do have throttle by wire?
    Oh and I hope you read what smgilles just posted. You must hereby leave the preverbial foot in your mouth for exactly 16 hours. Nice try. How does that feel? And just so I can get a mental picture, what shoe size do you wear?

Eagle --> a Toyota salesman that frequents the TTORA board gave us the news last week that the additions for 03 would be abs and throttle by wire on v6s.

Scorpio --> You are right how the Tacomas are catching up in the std. equip. category. I can't wait to hear the new excuses when the Taco gets its new engine. Its liable to get really interesting here in the next 12 months or so.
    i was just taking what scorpio said as the "general truth" as i consider him the toyota authority here. seems he didn't know this about his own vehicle. now i have doubts what he says about off-roading. made up stories? hmmmm. i could care less about toyota and their abs.

smgilles- got any proof to back up what you said? im just curious. at least i provided a link. i like how you guys just ignore stuff i post about the jeeps. hilarious how you want to discount them, saying they are terrible off-road and have no ground clearance. and then when i post links that state 10.1 inches of GC and what a bull it is off-road, you have no comment as usual.

sad- so if what you say is true about the throttle by wire. does that make the taco better? ill take a nice strong cable any day over a little wire. either way, the ranger has more power and torque than any tacoma and is thousands cheaper with more standard features.
    First of all, with each post you are looking dumber and dumber. Its not a wire vs a big cable. Its not connected to the engine at all. It means that it is totally computer controlled. Much more efficient, and lets the computer control cruise control totally instead of cruise controlling the actual position of the accelerator. LMAO, its clear that you are a domestic loyalist. I guess now you will say that vehicles with computers are less reliable, too? You were the guy who was dogging taco's lack of an mp3 player b/c it showed Yota was behind the times. Keep tryin, though, its good for a laugh.
    Nor has claimed to be. You're making things up again, and then drawing your own conclusions. Made up offroading stories? Fine. If you think they are made up, thats alright. You're not going to see any offroading now anyway, not in that praized Liberty of yours that needs lift to clear 31s. Here comes tbunder, let us begin rock stacking!

And if you want to read what other Jeep owners think about your Liberty, read here:

Pirate 4x4 forums

I would be afraid to look if I were you, tbunder. LMAO!!! Im gonna have a look see, though.
This discussion has been closed.