Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    deny it all you want scorpio, but toyota has problems just like every other manufacturer. you're another blind consumer of toyota evidently. one who has maintenance instead of service. whatever. as far as the toyota problems i talked about, go no further than nhtsa.com's site, you'll read all about it there. have fun.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Pluto was right.....idiots will take you to their level, and beat you with experience. I can't talk to you anymore, I give up.
    i provided you the site. i see you're just playing stupid and not wanting to look at it. i won't stoop to your level and call you an idiot, but i will say that you toyota owners, sans saddaddy, are one of a kind. you seriously do think you are driving 4x4 ferrari's around don't you? i really think it's rather funny. i like your truck, love it actually, but it's NO better than any other truck bud. when does the feeling set in that you think you are better than everyone else just cuz you're driving a toyota, before or after you write the over-inflated check?
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Will get new rear axle assemblies. Replaced under warranty/future recall.

Just like the Toyota owner on edmunds who's transmission blew up.

Bad casting, robot arms that can't torque correctly. Defects all the same. Here's my advice scorpio, just don't buy an FX4. Because you will also get goodies like Air Conditioning, standard ABS, Tilt Steering Wheel w/Speed Control, power everything, fog lights and a clock. I'm glad you found something to harp on the FX4 about, but you must realize it is temporary.
    I don't need to, and don't want to. Temporary, or not temporary, Ford doesnt seem to have gotten their things together on how to build vehicles. They'd have to work real hard to make me buy one of their vehicles.
    it hit home a little, eh?

eagle, btw, good post. it obviously went to the jugular. no arguing about what you said. scorpio chooses to believe a defect from ford is worse than a defect from toyota. he still won't comment on his precious company's camry, which already has two recalls. not to mention its getting spanked by the new altima in award winning and performance. oh, the altima doesn't have any recalls either. who builds quality over there? oh yeah, they think they're american made.
    I've looked through this thread, and I can't find the link you provided. Care to give a message #?
    And you seem to be under impression that I care about Camry vs. Altima. I don't. If Nissan can built a good Altima, good for them. I still look at the whole picture, and think they don't have everything figured out yet, Frontier is the prime example of it.

I'm not arguying that Toyota doesnt have defects. The tranny is a perfectly good example. HOWEVER, and I can't stress it enough (either you don't understand the difference, or choose to ignore it), the tranny defect is NOT the same as axle defect in question. Tranny problem is a manufacturing defect, aka: part was not built according to the specifications.
    FX4s problem with lockers seems to be a design defect: part was built according to specifications, but specs were wrong in the first place.
    Manufacturing defects happen all the time with everybody. Heck, my Tacoma had one: the plastic rail by the drivers door that covers up the end of carpet was somehow loose at one point. I took it out, and turns out that the "rabbit ears" plug that they use didnt set in properly. THats a manufacturing defect. So I put it in properly, and now everything is solid.
    Design defects are much more dangerous because they affect a much bigger number of vehicles.
    FX4 stopped sales and demo of 804 Rangers, out of which 200+ were already sold. And why? We can blame Torsen for maybe supplying defective parts (all 800 of them?). We can blame Ford engineers for not designing the rear axle properly. Just a question of who's to blame. But Ford gets to pick up the bill for this. THats what design defects can do to you: recalling the whole production.
    For the most part, all the engine recalls are design problems.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    what you are saying about the difference in the 2 kinds of defects. So far the only tranny problem I have read about is the one posted earlier - the ONE posted earlier. Sure thats bad but it is not 800. Therein lies the problem of that type of defect, it affects so many.

Scorpio, no it is not just you. I see it too. The others are totally ignoring this amazingly significant and relevant point that you are making. No one will refute it. What else is new? I am not harping on the issue I said I would leave alone, but - I mean - come on. Until 800 trannies blow up cuz Toyota didn't design them to stand up to enough power, I see only one side to this argument that makes decent sense.

As for the Altima, I think they are great. One funny thing happened the other day, though. My dad is looking for a new car for my mom. He loved the Altimas, I was really pushing the Maximas, and he was also looking at the Camrys, too. After driving around to the different lots and finding that you could have a loaded Maxima for the same price as a basic v6 Camry, I was like - man, I guess you should really go with the Nissan, huh, dad. He said, "Actually so many people tell me that the Camry is such a better made car - I'll prolly get one of those." I was totally blown away. This is a man who used to not turn his head at a foreign car, now hes paying signigicantly more for a Toyota than he would for a much more endowed Nissan -- and all b/c Toyotas are so much better made. And he knew that Nissan is no slouch with quality either. Not to say that my dad's opinion means anything at all, but I was totally surprised. The news is spreading guys. LOL.

By the way, I told him I had heard about 2 recalls on the new Camrys (tbunder's statement). I would like to hear some elaboration on it so that I can help him some more. Thanx!
    scorpio..you're right. the FX4 is a bigger problem. but it's still an awesome truck, that, when fixed properly will give the TRD competition off-road. when will a mag compare the two.

sad- please send this info. on to your dad. it seems that he is very mis-informed on his camry information. unless you're superman driving one of these "BOMBS", you may just need plastic surgery.

http://www.nhtsa.com/ - do a search on 2002 camry recalls. there are two. here's a site that talks about the first one.

http://www.classactionamerica.com/recalls/displayRecall.asp?recallId=2250

and this should entice him as well:

http://www.autonews.com/files/ctofyear2002.htm

looks like the only news spreading around here is the facts. and this time they're not in toyota's favor.

I've just read through 2 recalls on Escape. Ouch. Wrong hubs on 4x2s and fuel system leaks. Can someone explain to me how that's supposed to happen? Where's the Quality Control in Ford? Or were they the 30K people to be fired?
    Lets hope FX4 doesnt develop anymore problems. Then we'll see.
    I didn't doubt the recall stuff. Our whole family has always had a big problem with buying a car the first year after its redesign. Initial quality carries little weight with us. I mean look at the truck of the year in your post. I have heard of tons of problems with that thing. You know as well as I do that chevys just don't hold up. Any manufacturer can make a car that is totally awesome for a group that tests it for 200 miles. The real test is whether or not it will stay fun to drive, squeak-free, and problem free for 100k+ miles. I have no doubt that the Altima is a good car - but it is still a new model and there is still plenty of time for problems to start showing up (camry too). I would like 'em to get one of those (or a Max) simply cuz their so fast - fun to drive. But I realize that there is lots more involved for them. L8r.
    yes, but the altima, along with all other nissan cars 'cept for the sentra, does not have any recalls. all you have to do is look at a nissan, altima, xterra, maxima. those things are built so tight, its hard to believe they were once pieces. and the 240 horses in the altima just blows away the camry's 190, and for less money.

scorpio- i doubt the FX4 develops any more problems. after all, its really just an off-road ranger, 'cept for that torsen. and imo, the ranger is the best ford vehicle built.
    That we don't care about the Escape, even though it is the best selling SUV in it's class. Sort of like how "we" don't care about camry defects.
    simply because I don't care for Camry in particular, and small (comparatively speaking) cars in general. THats not to say that I don't admit that Camry had a recall, sure it had. However, in comparison to other automakers, Toyota still shines.
  • kbtoyskbtoys Member Posts: 62
    Ok lets just take a look at the year 2001 for toyota vs ford recalls.

Total number of recalls

ford=61

toyota=6

Here are the recalls for ford

model = #number of recalls

E150=1

E350=1

ECONOLINE=1

ESCAPE=5

EXCURSION=3

EXPEDITION=4

EXPLORER=1

EXPLORER SPORT=1

EXPLORER SPORT TRAC=1

F SUPER DUTY=1

F150=6

F250=3

F350=4

F450=4

F550=3

F650=2

RANGER=2

WINDSTAR=6

CROWN VICTORIA=3

FOCUS=2

MUSTANG=1

TAURUS=6

Now for toyota

model = #number of recalls AVALON=1

CAMRY=2

PRIUS=1

HIGHLANDER=1

SIENNA=1

this was from http://www.nhtsa.com/

I didn't think this would take me that long to count the recalls but when I started I had to finish.

Now not to give Toyota all the credit if you want to compare for 2002. Ford is killing Toyota with Ford having less recalls than Toyota. For the drum roll

FORD has one recall so far, and Toyota has two. :)

If I was a betting man I would bet that Ford will have more recalls than Toyota at the end of 2002.

Thats pretty much the only thing I could blame for the Ford recall problems. They didnt stay in business building completely horrible vehicles. Some of them still appeal to the public. I guess the mass production results in lower standards and lower quality control.
    I don't know if thats a joke about Camrys being hand-built, but Isuzu VehiCROSS (I've had my eye on it since it came out last year, but didnt want it with auto tranny, the only one they had) is hand-built, and seems to be running without any recalls in the first year. Not bad for a totally new SUV, just from the drawing board.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I really like the new altima. If I was shopping for that type of vehicle, I'd definitely get one before I'd get a Camry. The old altimas used to be terribly boring, but the new one is great. (even if they did totally copy the Passat in terms of styling) Now if only Nissan would fix the rear end of the Maxima...
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Maybe they will fix the Maxima's posterior end - the 2003 model is supposed to be redesigned. I personally don't like the Altima but like the Maxima, except for the botched rear end. Hopefully, they'll fix it so I can consider buying one next year.

Just got back from from a business trip and had to do a few presentations. YECH!!! Good to see tbundy's still around!

Scorpio's words: "I guess the mass production results in lower standards and lower quality control."

Just depends on who's doing the mass production. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the Corolla is the most mass-produced vehicle in the world, and the Camry has been America's #1 selling car for 4 or 5 years now, and they're not recall-ridden.

I find it amusing Ford has so many problems, yet Lincoln (a subsidary of Ford) is squeaky clean in comparison. Just goes to show Ford is capable but not always willing to build quality. And why should they be? There will always be the gullible tbunders of the world ready to surrender their money to Ford and their "Quality is job #1" slogan.
    Ford is building vehicles for ....well, lower end of middle class. Lincoln is building vehicles for upper middle class. Same as Toyota and Lexus.
    With so many people buying Ford, why should they spend extra money on doing things "more right" which would jack the price up? Remember the flaming ball of fire Pinto?
    Good to see you're back.
    I just got back from the Den again today (yes, tbunder, I did go out wheeling. I'll post you a damn picture since you don't believe me), had major body damage to one of the trucks. One of the members' SAS'ed flatbed 1999 Taco rolled over completely in a big hole. Took 2 Tacos and a Unimog to winch it out.
    Flaming ball of fire Pintos, huh? What about the Mustang whose gas tank would explode into the passenger compartment in a rear-end collision? Or Expeditions with their wheels falling off? Or the Explorer's slashed tires and roll-over tendencies? The list goes on and on...

One of these days I'm going to have to go to the "Den" and see what it's all about. But I don't think I'm going to be as hard on my truck as some of those guys appear to be.

Keep me posted when you guys plan to have your next get together. With a little notice, I might be able to get up there.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    meets most people's expectations and as for lincoln,toyota,and lexus.Is the slight dif in quality worth the price?If you plan to keep a vehicle 15-20 years it could be,but most of us don't want the same car for 200k.As long as any defects are repaired under warranty,I save $ on the initial purchase,and I get a good price when I sell,then who cares if the drivetrain lasts twice as long as the upholstry?
    kip
    BTW compare quality to a report card.95%,99% it's an "A" alright?
    may meet most people's expectations, but not mine. I just looked at a new Ranger today and immediately noticed two things: misaligned front bumper and the fender flares. The flares had big old gaps between them and the truck's sheet-metal, and they were loose and could be tugged at. I'm sure my eye would have found more had this not been just a cursory glance.

But to each his own. I personally think vehicles are a waste of money, expecially trading them in every year or so and having perpetual car payments on something that is never owned.
    I don't know about "good price when I sell it".
    Somehow I get a feeling to me that not many people want used Fords, GMs or Chevys, 4-5 year old ones. I have hard time finding a used Tacoma at the dealer lot, but there's always plenty of Fords sitting there, or somewhere on the side of a road with a "4 Sale" sign. Whats the resale value of a 1996 Ford Ranger these days (given the price for it today)?
    Personally, it would be worth the trouble for me. Think about it. Last thing I want happening is having to take my brand new truck in for axle replacement (FX4) after 1 week of owning it.
    at the classifieds or "wheel-deals" and check out the asking prices on used Fords versus used Toyotas. I tell you what, every Toyota I've had I've sold with no problems and for a good price. That "19-- Toyota -------, high miles, well maintained with all records, one adult owner, all equipment original..." line sells them everytime.
    What is meant by the word quality does not only mean how long the vehicle will last before it won't crank or run. When I think of quality, I think of a vehicle that you can be very tough on and it still won't let you down. A vehicle you don't have to worry about quitting in the middle of a lpng roadtrip. With my truck, I feel like it will never let me down. I have heard so many testimonies of Taco rangers beating the crap out of their trucks and still driving em back to camp - I really trust my truck to get me anywhere. My mom has had a buick and a chrysler and they both quit on trips with out family. I hated to ride with either one even after thousands of dollars spent at the shop. Is the quality worth the extra price you ask? If you take into account resale value, longevity, and, last but not least, dependability -- Toyotas have the best quality there is. IMO of course.
  • bren199bren199 Member Posts: 1
    So I visited an especially cocky toyota dealer who told me why toyotas are better. Why their prices are better for resale etc. Sure they are, their fewer of them out there. If DeBeers flooded the market with diamonds, the price would go down. Toyotas have a reputatoni of high quality = high demand. Factor that with not a lot of trucks out there prices go up.

From www.autosite.com market report sales volume.

Truck December 2001 YTD
    F-150 84,278 911567
    Tundra 9,244 100445
    tacoma 12,388 161983
    ranger 15972 272460

So ford sells almost as many F Series trucks as toyota sells in a year in one month. Rangers sell 110,000 more per year, increase of 68%.

Not denying they make a great truck, my 92 xcab with 167,000 miles runs better than any s-10 with 75,000 I've seen and better than a jeep with 40,000, but stop being so freaking cocky on pricing. Sick of all these local dealers telling me to piss off because they know they can sell to someone else for just what they want. Anyone else had similar experiences? Almost making me want to buy Ford because they will work for my business.
    Us Toyota owners are arrogent too.Just because our trucks appear to have a slight edge in the 100k plus stories we tend to overlook the fact that we're paying more for a less comfortable, underpowered truck.You're right about volume.That's why scorpio can't find a used Taco.(why would he look anyway)Arrogance could be why he thinks toyotas are built for "upper-middle class".
    kip
    Why shouldn't the dealers act like that? It might not be nice but its the truth. Right after you leave mad, there'll be someone come in that will buy the vehicle you were looking at. Toyota has one of the best names for quality out there, people will buy 'em at that price. So why should a dealer accept less than what can be had for a certain Toyota vehicle? Call it arrogance or what you want - but the fact is there. Would a Mercedes dealer sit there and entertain some complaints from a McDonalds worker who wants to make $200/month payments on a new sedan - No. (gross exaggeration, but that is kinda the way i feel).
    I bought my Tacoma at about 3% over invoice. If somebody is having problems with a Toyota dealer, try a different one. There's plenty of crappy Ford and Chevy dealers out there as well. Ask my dad about them and all the dealer crap he put up with when he had that Plymouth Reliant. His 1986 Reliant never ran as good as his 1975 Corolla with 160K miles. Go figure. That's why we kept the Corolla all those years and unloaded that stupid Reliant.
    I could have bought a used Taco. There are people who sell them on ttora board, or pre-announce them. There just wasnt one available close to Texas and in the config. I wanted.

I said that Ranger and Toyota are generally made for lower end of middle class. Whereas Lincoln and Lexus are made for upper end.

And overall.....you know, Ranger just got the new engine that finally gave it an edge over Tacoma. So now Ranger owners are celebrating....they have a reason todo so, for 5 years Tacoma beat them with the same engine.
    It's not just 100K+ stories. With the publicity and track record that Ford has, they would have to try real hard to sell one to me. And I'm saying that because I havent owned one yet. (On the other hand, I've owned a Chevy, and will not buy from them again). Somehow having a Toyota gives more peace of mind. Imagine if I bought an FX4. It would have had to be a 207hp with manual tranny (because thats what I drive now), and I would either have snapped the axle at the light somewhere (the way I drive), or would have had to take it in for a recall within 1 week of purchase. How's that for a confidence builder?
    Try working for the government and driving nothing but Fords and Chevys for the past 6 years. No way, no how would I buy one...
    I just re-read #371,sorry,I misunderstood.You're right.Ford and toyota are selling to the same merket.Lexus and lincoln also compete with each other in THIER market.There are plenty of used Tacos here in CA,but I've been told there are more of them on the road here than other states.I love my taco but I did'nt feel obligated to leave it in stock form.I replaced the seats at 3 mo(Astro van) and 4500 mi.A year later I gave it a 4" lift and 12.50x33's.Finally,and I know I'll take heat for this,I replaced the rear axle with a detroit locked Ford 9"(There was no locking diff for the v6 in '95)
    kip
    BTW can't wait till there's aftermarket pistons for my GMC 8.1
    I could have phrased it better myself.

I'm not leaving my Taco in stock form for long. I have some small mods, like magnaflow muffler, amsoil air/oil filter with synth. oil, deckplate (although I don't usually use it), hella lights. Small things. I still have a list of things to get like line-x/rhino or herculiner, some form of hard top, rocksliders, and ultimately, suspension lift with body lift. The only thing is that my Taco is also my daily driver, so I don't want to raise it up too much. I still like to ride down the freeway at 85-90mph without having handling problems. Oh yeah, and I'm thinking about getting one of those old caddy air compressors (electrical ones).
    Toyota may just have to recall some of the V6s and I4s due to sludge problems. May not be the Tacoma engine, but probably ones from Sienna and others.
    Here's
    the site. So Toyota will also take care of its customers (heh, yeah, right. With a lot of pressure from the government). This was a problem in the making for the last 6 years, we'll see what happens.
    So you see, tbunder, we can also admit faults in our vehicles.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    I like Toyota, however, if that article is accurate and Totoya treated me that way, I wouldn't be a repeat customer.
    Even worse if you do it in your backyard. Can you prove that the case of oil a year actually went into your engine. Better get your oil changed at the dealership, no matter what.
    This isn't the first story like this I've heard.

So scorpio, would you classify that as a design defect, or a manufacturing one? :)
    definitely a manufacturing defect. If all the engines did that, it would be design defect.
    Problem with this sort of engine trouble is that there is no real good way to test things out. Damage is long term, so only few years down the road the company has even a chance to start fixing it.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Sludge is from people not chamging there oil and should never be blamed on the engine.
    I agree. But what happens when people do have receipts from quick lube places (Which I think is not the best place to go to, but oh well)?
    That one lady's Sienna is sitting in pieces, because she has quick lube receipts. Someplaces go overboard on 30 point inspections and royal purple synthetic oil (for an extra fee), and others might as well be named grease monkey R us.

But I guess it really boils down to the dealership wanting to deal with it or not.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_engine.html

/direct/view/.eea225d
  • 73cjdude73cjdude Member Posts: 13
    **obi- im sorry you had problems with your jeeps, but i can say that the new liberty vehicle is leaps and bounds better than any other jeep previously built. and as far as it's off-road ability is concerned, edmunds itself has said that it can and will go anywhere any cherokee has gone. and it is open to just as many mods as a cherokee has ever been open to.

Sorry the Liberty can't even start to compare with any of the CJ series Jeeps.!
    No V8, No gear driven transfercase.................way to long of a wheelbase.
    My 73 CJ5 was purchased new by my father in 73 and was given to me some years back.
    When your Liberty is 30 years old come then you can start making claims!

Any of the 4x4's made today will work for Moderate fourwheeling. You could say make it to the Dusy/Eirshim Trailhead, but with out major mods you'd never get past the gaurdian let alone up chicken rock and through the entire route. The Wrangler Rubicon is the closest box stock, but you'd need a 4.5" lift and 33" tires.
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    Can you believe it. One of the arms of the cup holder in my Tacoma broke. I opened it up and a snap ring broke off and now it doesn't work properly. And, my truck is only 1 year old. You see, Tacomas aren't perfect. I'm posting this for all you Ford Fanatics. I'm sure you'll spend the next 100 posts talking about poor Tacoma quality now! Enjoy......Steelman.
    Hmm....my 2002 has cupholder as part of the console, with soft rubber holders to keep the cup in place. Didnt 2001s have the same design?
    No, my 2001 has two cup holders. One on the passenger side that open up to hold two drinks, and one located just below the shift lever (in the center of the passenger cabin)that has two plastic arms that fold in and out (to hold one drink). This is the one that broke. Again, one of the arms on the cup holder no longer works properly. I wonder if this is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? Anyway, I wanted to prove to the Ford Fanatics that Toyota owners don't hide the problems they have. I wonder if Ranger fans can admit their problems? Or, perhaps they are correct and Rangers really are perfect? Take care........Steelman.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    I have a 2001 and it is set up like yours with the 2 cup holders in the center of the console. Again, I will state why I bought a Toyota. a.) Nissan wanted too much, MORE than what I paid for my Toyota. I was a die hard Nissan guy, my last 88 4x4 Nissan had 200,000 with normal maintenance ( 0 Problems). b.)Ford wanted too much, MORE than what I paid for my Toyota. So, I bought the Toyota and have never been happier:) After the Nissan and now the Toyota I will NEVER EVER buy a domestic automobile! PERIOD!

I don't believe Toyota or Nissan are God's gifts to automobiles, I just feel, along with the majority of others that they are a notch above any Ford, Dodge, Chevy, etc, etc.... Does it matter what I think, absolutely not, only to me.

So, tbunder you can preach your dogma all you want, it is falling on deaf ears. By the way my father-in law just bought a 2002 4x4 double cab (non-TRD). Why? Because he drove mine! All his life he drove nothing but domestic compacts. I think he thought it was time for some security with his purchase:)
    ...is longevity. You don't see many 20, 30 or 40+ year old Toyota trucks on the road, do ya? :)

However, my friend owns a 67 F-100 Ranger. Yeah, it's basically a early F-150, and has some rust in the floor board. However when you pull into the dragstrip with your 1967 Mustang being trailered by a 1967 Ranger, there's just a special glow you feel as all the eyes turn.

Heck I could keep my 1993, and run it to 200,000+ miles if I want. And when the engine or transmission pukes, I can drop in a 302 fairly easily. You could say parts are cheap when you vehicle is the best seller for the past 15 years. The options are open with the Ranger.

However I do have plans on retiring my ole reliable for something new in 2003. Just have to see what's new and available then, but the Ranger will always be my first pick. The new Edges look so nice, but I'm gonna have to wait for the possible v8.
    Stang, I don't think Toyota even made Tacomas 20 years ago. Besides, its not the age that matters, it is the mileage. I've said it before, I've seen several Tacomas with 200,000 plus miles on them but I haven't seen one Ranger with that much mileage. My girlfriend's parents have a 6 year old Ranger with 100,000 miles on it and it is really falling apart and is definitely on its last legs. I'm not very impressed with the longevity of the Rangers I've seen. Take care........Steelman.
    My dad had a "hi lux" in the early 70's.You don't see many of those any more.All toyotas sold in the US until the mid 80's were built in japan for the US market.They (IMO)were better than the ones we got in Okinawa.My family has owned Toyotas for 30 years and to me the quality has been going down hill since about '90.Don't get me rong.I still think there at the top,but the gap is no longer worth considering.
    I know 3 people with 80's rangers with more than 150k.My 95 Taco is the highest milage one I know of at 105,521 mi.
    kip
This discussion has been closed.