Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Compass

124»

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk to consumers who have purchased or considered a Jeep Compass and have never before owned a Chrysler. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 26, 2007 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your interest in the Compass.
  • djp_63djp_63 Member Posts: 10
    I have been a Mopar fan for years, owning several Dodge and Jeep products over my driving career. I have been anxious about the Caliber since I saw the early pre-production pictures. I waited, watched and read everything I could to see how they would hold up, especially the CVT. Then I saw that Jeep was coming out with a Cherokee sized vehicle that delivered decent mileage; so I decided to wait until I could see that. But first I had to wait for the Compass to come out first. I never warmed up to the looks of the Compass, and honestly, I think the Patriot is going to outsell it 3 to 1.

With intent to finally buy, I began to test drive my interest and the competition so that I had a point of reference. The Caliber and Patriot stayed right at the top of list the whole time. They both looked good, had good crash ratings, good mileage and were priced well. With Patriots arriving, I found myself taking turns driving a sport appearance Caliber and Sport Patriot. In the in end, the Patriot had a better interior, outer body hardware, more room, bigger engine and future better resale. I still like the Caliber, but the interior was light coloured and was already scuffed up on the lot. It also had some plastic trim along the roofline that would degrade in a few years in the Florida sun. I was so glad to have them side-by-side and happy with my Patriot.

My first fill up yielded a tad over 27 mpg, which was mostly mixed highway. I am 6'2 and 180 pounds and the driving position is great. I like the Yes Essential fabric better than the leather, and the darker interior plastic seems to be good and cleans easily. The CVT is very nice, and the motor seems powerful, but a little pokey off the line but still strong. I was used to an straight six in a Cherokee. The long-term reliability of the CVT is my main concern though, but that withstanding, I really like the Patriot.

DJP
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    dip_63: I am glad you like your Patroit. The Compass and Patroit have the same underpinnings. The Compass is what we chose. The dash is the same too. The interiors as far as room is just about the same, with the Patriot has a few more square feet. The Patriot is the entry vehicle for Jeep, and can be trail rated at less mpg. There are many Jeep Patriots and Compass' on dealers lots. the Compass 4x4's are on a 26 week wait, where the Patriot has only a 16 week wait. The big difference for us was that the Compass comes with a $1000. higher cost, because it comes with more standard things, that are an added cost for the Patroit. Both are a good value, and we are both pleased with our vehicles. Farout
  • neely2005neely2005 Member Posts: 70
    So much for all the complaints that the Compass isn't "Trail Rated"...
    :)
    Hey, with the drop to 21 mpg to have a "TRAIL RATED" Patriot, who really wants one? I for one am very pleased with our Compass 4x4. For us it is just what we want!

farout
  • hortaghortag Member Posts: 12
    I'd prefer not to have to "Home Trail Rate" my Compass, but for those of us that live in the sticks, we don't have much of a choice. Luckily, a Jeep is a Jeep, is a Jeep. Still, I would rather get more MPG by living 5 minutes from a major highway instead of having to pass a sign that say "Mud Xing, Pass At Own Risk" when ever I turn on to my street. Jeep has finally made 2 SUV's that do what the foreign competitors have been doing for a while now. Creating affordable quality trucks, that sport trendy styling AND get good gas mileage.
    Yip, you tend to lose gas mileage when your dragging a heavy skid plate around for that rare occasion you want to rock crawl with out risking your under carriage. :surprise: :surprise:
    We live on a rough dirt & gravel amd steep hill up to our house. 1 mile in and 1 mile out. We at times go up snow & ice, and a stream that floods up to 10 inches over the road. I would say we have more of a 4x4 need than most people. The Compass seems to do it all really well. The mpg seems to be 24 to 26, and by the computer we have seen as high as 30.2 mpg. The Compass is so smooth and rides like a much bigger vehicle. The CVT is still new to us and it too seems to be very reliable. So far we are very pleased.

The price of gas here is $3.16 a gallon! Oh I sure hope it does not go up much higher.

farout
    Wow,

You sure you don't live near my house? Sounds like my drive. I didn't get the trip computer in mine. Odd since it has Navi and darn near everything else. When I estimate gas mileage, I zero out my odometer when I fill up my tank. Then, the next time I fill up, I divide the gallons by my miles. My wife has a trip computer in her Liberty, and the old fashioned manual way seems to be the more accurate way of determining MPG's. I get on average, 22-23 MPG, but then again, I probably out weigh you by a good 150lbs at least. Half my commute is back roads as well so...

Anyway, I am thinking of getting beefier tires and a large Thule top rack. Ill be putting in the DvD player soon as well. Im sure that wont help my gas mileage. :D:D
  • carguy37carguy37 Member Posts: 3
    Yea after test driving the compass i've looked at a few others like the patriot for example to make my final decision and i think im going with the compass i like everything about it except that CVT transmission. I mean why couldnt the just give it a regular automatic tranny. but i do like the great gas mileage u get and the feel and room and how everything is easy to read and get to i just dont like how it feels like it has no horsepower because of the cvt it seems like its holding back. and this coming after test driving other vehicles like the chevy cobalt and hhr but i want something a lil cheaper but doesnt feel like im not getting any options with it so im really going towards the compass. like i said the only thing i dont like iz the tranny options but ill get over it cause i really need something tough roomy and gets good gas mileage considering where i live gas is anywhere from $2.88-$2.96 its ridiculous these gas prices well please let me know if you think im leaning towards the right decisions cause i really could use some opinions here. Thanks
    hortag: No we have the pretty much the basic 4x4 Compass. It does have the Compass, and the mpg used, and fuel miles left. But we do the math on the mpg just as you do. I am not sure why you would out weigh our Compass, I think they are pretty much the same weight. We got the SRA tires, and that was one reason we had to look for one that had those tires on the Compass. They seem to do real well so far. In wind, rain and even our rough road.

farout
  • djp_63djp_63 Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like crickets chirping here as well as the Patriot board. I wonder why? :confuse:
  • jeffs17jeffs17 Member Posts: 9
    My 04 Neon with a 5-speed manual trans has touched 40 mpg and is quicker than most other cars on the road. The engine/trans has excellent punch in the 70-100 mph range.
    Has anyone seen a Compass with a 2. L engine in it? I am pretty sure that the Jeep web site said late arrival. I am sure it would not be available with the 4X4.
    I will say for a 2.4 L engine it sure is slow on the get go. My wife says it helps save gas as what is the use in flooring it if it don't get up and go in the first place. I will say when passing it does have the power you need there. I think it is a rather loud engine for as little as horse power as it has. Anyone else think the same as me?

farout
  • jl49jl49 Member Posts: 33
    I'm thinking about purchasing a Compass through Manhattan Jeep in NYC. Does anybody else recommend any Jeep dealers in the NYC or New Jersey area? Does anyone know what kind of financing incentives are being offerred through Chrysler Financial?
    j149: Goo to Jeep.com, there you can check on Specials and check on incentives. You can also check for Search for Dealers, and see who is offereing the Compass at below the $750. rebate. In Missouri there are dealers offering the Compass for $1500. BELOW msrp. I would suggest you get one with the Yes fabric seats, and the 4x4, as they are holding the value better. The Drivers convience group is a great option, and of course Speed Control. The limited has many of the opitins that the Sport does add as options. You can expect 22 to 25 mpg with the 4x4. The Compass is a very solid smooth ride, we enjoy ours. Good hunting!

farout
    Thank you for the advice. I'll let you know what happens.
    Does anyone know if there are any factory to dealer incentives being offered right now for the 2007 model in order to make room for the 2008 Compass.
    jl49: Hey it's Farout again. The 2008 Compass is, according to the Mopar magazine, not having any changes. I would assume there might be some little minor change, maybe not something outside, but as for now I don't think it will be more than a VIN number cahnge. On this forum (Compass( there seems to be little attention given. But I keep an eye open for new posts.
    Call a dealer and ask them if they have heard anything about the 2008 Compass. Let me know what you find out, please.

farout
    Hey Farout,

I appreciate the quick response again. But I think there might be a miscommunication as far as my previous question. I'm not really interested in the 2008 Compass, I was just inquiring about any factory to dealer incentives that might be out there so I can use this info to negotiate a lower price. FYI, this is money paid to the dealer by the factory to sell specific models in order to make room for newer models coming in. These are not publicized and can be very significant (from hundreds to several thousands of dollars). They can be tricky to find out about and are also very time sensitive. So if by chance you do know of any, please let me know.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There aren't any manufacturer to dealer incentives in my zip code (other than the spiffs or bonuses you never can find out about anyway).

Incentives & Rebates
    Thanks for the link.
    We bought our Jeep Compass April 4, 07. We needed good gas MPG. We liked the room for adults in the back seat and the "4x4" really impressed us on a smaller 4 cyc. Jeep.
    We had a lot to learn! The "4x4" is AWD not "4x4"! The CVT is a cheap way to cut costs over a real "automatic transmission"!!!!! The fit and finish of the inside is cheap ill fitting sharp edged plastic! Plastic everywhere! The mpg avreged somethimes as low as 18 and generally 21 to 23 mpg. This on a 4cyc. 2.4 engine that was gutless!
    This is just a more expensive Caliber that has AWD and costs more than $4,000. over the cost of a Caliber! Major mistake by DCX! This is no Jeep! Make no mistake I am a silid Chrysler brand buyer.

farout
  • carsncarscarsncars Member Posts: 2
    Funny. I have never gotten less than 24mpg in mixed driving and I do over 90 miles a day. The CVT seems to work quite well but then I am a relaxed driver...

The 4x4 system on the Compass works as well as any Jeep I have ever driven on regular roads in bad weather. This morning, I put the system to the test on slushy/icy roads. The combination of the AWD system with power distribution lock (4x4 mode) and stability control impressed the hell out of me. Unlike top heavy trucks, the Compass is very sure footed and the ride does not kill my back.

As for the interior, the color of the interior makes a huge difference in the appearance. It looks good in charcoal.

I also like the idea that Jeep choose to not put a "car" interior into the Compass. Frankly I love that flat dash!

Now the real test is to see how I feel about the vehicle in a year or so.
    In Mikes Totally Free Jeep News it says Commander and the Compass will not be built after this year. To have two vehicles so much alike in the Jeep Brand is costing to much. It would be nice if Jeep would just stick with a new idea a little longer! Our Jeep Liberty Diesel was only made two years.

farout
  • carsncarscarsncars Member Posts: 2
    Given the state of Chrysler, that makes perfect sense. The Commander was simply too big and the Compass/Patriot twins are too much alike. Of the twins, the Patriot has the most useful room and a much smaller blind spot in the rear. It also is farther removed from the styling of the Caliber.

If I had to guess, I would say that we will be seeing something else being introduced into the mix in 09....
    Look for the Dodge Journey Mini Van to come out in the Sppring of 08 as a 2009. It is being built in Tolucia, Mexico, with the PT. But look for the PT to change in 2009 as well.

farout
  • kcrosskcross Member Posts: 4
    for all the true bloods of jeep,of which I am not one, I need to disagree on the compass. No it won't off road and yes for the true bloods I can see why the liberity is best. Maybe Jeep should of marketed it different. As Jeeps first on road wagon, forget suv stuff it works great. for towing small pop up campers or boats while keeping economy it is great..with this use in mind keep the awd and the automatic and stay with just a 5 speed and those dog problems disappear along with poor milage. anyone who thinks a automatic and awd on a four banger wont be slow are slightly illusonanol anyway. I think with different marketing it is great they are breaking into new markets. I was replacing a focus wagon and never would of gotten the liberty box but did get the compass. compared to vibe,outback,pt cruser or hhr or anything else around 16000, not 20 like auto mags like comparing it to in the suv market it kicks [non-permissible content removed]. One down side is the gear ratio. 412 what are the thinking. maybe a 390 would be better

kevin<
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Add automatic seats, leather, sirius radio, and a moon roof for about $20K

That would be a winner.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    After about two model years since this post, seems there is indeed a 2009 Compass. I sat in one, and it's not so bad. I'm used to my velour seats and creature comforts via Toyota, but the plastics may work for this car, for after all, why have a utility vehicle that you're afraid to get dirty? The arm rest padding's much better in the '09's but I wonder if it's truly an issue in the '07s since most of the time one is wearing a coat or jacket, anyway. As far as the Compass being a Caliber, I disagree. I've sat in a Caliber, too, and Caliber is lower to the ground by maybe 6 inches and uglier by far. And it's a very masculine car, which turns me off personally. Of the two, if I were shopping, I'd much prefer Compass.

The CVT issue is worrisome, though, because that's the only automatic it comes with, and I certainly don't want to go to a manual. Depending on what you read, some say it works well enough, and others say it will get you killed in highway traffic. So, it's hard to say who is telling the truth.

Personally, between Patriot and Compass I like Compass' looks, but I've read where Patriot appeals to men more than women and for the Compass the opposite is true. It's too boxy for my taste, same reason I hate Scion xB.

I'd like to read more experiences of either '07s or later model Compasses from people who actually have them.
  • zing43zing43 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 07 compass 4x4 manual transmission a couple of months ago, the salesman told me it could be towed four wheels down behind an RV, he was wrong, the 09 owners manual say a manual transmission can be towed, but the 07 owners manual says none can be towed behind an RV. We check the drivetrain parts in both years and they are the same part numbers, The Jeep rep for my dealer will not tell us what the difference is. Does anyone know if there is a difference or why 07 can not while the 09 can.
This discussion has been closed.