Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Compass

squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
edited April 2014 in Jeep
I know Jeep is slow to change things, but I'd really love to get a hybrid Jeep (wagon, hatch) made from the Liberty engine. Preferrably with the Jeep grille, fold flat rear seats, giant wheels, fat tires, 4WD, and a liftglass for long stuff. Basically a modern update of the AMC Eagle. Nothing really is out there now that's not an overly tall, true SUV. The Compass looks cool, although I'd like 4 doors. The Varsity doesn't look quite as good as the Compass. Any Jeep loyalists know if this can happen soon? I can't hold out much more before I have to buy...

Dan

Comments

• vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    It's just a concept car. I like the look of it but some of the things inside bother me like a 4 wheel independent suspension and those narrow little tires. A supercharged 4-cyl is pretty cool.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    .....and then someone can start a "Jeep Compass Problems" thread!
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    that the Compass rides on a Liberty platform. That means no IRS. It also has the the 3.7 V-6 engine. However, unlike the Liberty, it has AWD and no low range.

I like it a lot, but I do wish it did have IRS. The inspiration for this vehicle is those "Rally Cars," like the Subie WRX, that are raced internationally. All of them have fully independent suspensions.

Bob
  • squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    I was hoping it would have the same Selec-Trac AWD along with the 4hi/low too. Even so, I still like the idea of a Jeep hatchback. Since I'm looking to buy this year, I guess it won't happen. Does Jeep ever project when these concepts could go into production? It seems like D/C want to be the first to bring out new, edgy stuff (PT, Pacifica).
    they would like to bring out a vehicle priced under the Wrangler. Jeep has publicly stated that. What form it takes? Who knows...

Bob
    I don't know how or where I came up with the IRS thing but the supercharged four idea is actually from the Willys2 concept:

http://www.jeepin.com/news/willys2.html

• tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    That thing is awesome. I wish Jeep would produce it, though with a carbon fiber body it can't be very cheap. Maybe change the body to aluminum and toss in a slightly larger engine (keep the supercharger for the low-end torque) and I would find a way to buy one, as long as they offered it in a better color. Olive drab might work.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I'd like to see a comeback of the Scrambler.

Basically, make a lengthened Wrangler, add a small bed, and the only change from Wrangler othewise would be to put in the V6 so it can accomodate the overdrive auto tranny (for better gas mileage and lower cruising rpms).

Better yet, make the back part (bed) out of recycled plastic to reduce cost, reduce weight, and eliminate rust!!!
    I'd love to see Jeep do a 4-door "life-style" pickup off the new Liberty platform. Just put a small bed in the back like that of the Explorer Sport Trac or Subaru Baja. Also include a mid-gate, and lockable fender storage compartments as per the Chevy Avalanche.

Bob
    A "life-style" pickup?

That's a new one.

I like the idea of the Avalanche, but have a feeling that in 2 years, these are going to be seen all over the place with plastic hanging off the sides or big ugly scars where plastic used to be. Reminds me of Pontiacs.

I do like the Explorer one, and to a lesser extent, the Dodge and Nissan ones.
    is a term now used to describe pickups for outdoorsy-types: cyclists, campers, etc. It's certainly not a traditional "work" truck.

Bob
  • knightbornknightborn Member Posts: 4
    Went to the auto show in Detroit and fell in love with the Compass. The one grainy picture of it that I found online prior to the show (from it's debut a few days earlier) didn't catch my eye. But in person, it has some fantastic lines to it. It borrows cues from several of Jeeps recent concept cars so one would assume they are aiming in this direction for a new model. Time will tell. From the web scouring that I have done, "insiders" (who are these so called insiders?) say that this one is close to production. I hope they are right.
    It looks like that goofy Isuzu thing. (not to be confused with VW thing!)

How do you remove the doors and top?
    >How do you remove the doors and top? <

With a wrench and a saw, I suppose. Doors and top are not removable. Although, now that you mention it, a version that offers both might be interesting.
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    There was Compass discussion on the SUV board a few months ago, but this vehicle is 3-door hatchback that I think deserves to be discussed here. A 3.7l engine in a car this size? Wow. I looked at the Liberty last year, but am simply not an SUV person. Does anyone know if this rally car competitor is set for production? It's an awesome alternative to Subarus that would have a place on the market.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Yes, I think it does look a lot like a hatchback. I'd put it in the crossover (suv/hatch) category. If Jeep decides to produce this, we could also see about linking up this discussion with the SUV board. Btw, here's some information from Edmunds' Coverage of the 2001 Detroit Auto Show: Jeep Compass, by Ed Hellwig.

What do you think? Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    With the Liberty chassis, they may be able to pull it off. I can't wait 2-2 1/2 years, since my car is so old. I've heard that it will be an '04. With the way the companies make thier model years, that could be anywhere from Jan '03 to Dec '04...
    Just announced on 3/17 that they will produce 11 new vehicles by 2004. 11! I'm guessing this will be one of them.
    Especially starting under 20 grand.
    There was some sort of announcement in the last few days. Something about Chrysler group realizing that their average buyer is getting OLD, so they're trying to speed up the timeline for the Compass (YES!!!) and the M-80 truck. Unfortunately, you have to be an autonews subscriber to read all of the info... If anyone can get some production dates, that would be a great help - I was giving up hope on the Compass and/or the Chevy Borrego ever coming out.
    Found it reprinted on www.scatpack.com

------------------

Chrysler seeks fast OK to produce Dodge M80 and Jeep Compass concepts
    By DIANA T. KURYLKO
    Automotive News
    NEW YORK

Alarmed by the age of its buyer base, the Chrysler group has put two youth-oriented concept vehicles unveiled at the Detroit auto show on a fast track for approval. The Dodge M80 pickup and Jeep Compass entry-level sport-utility are aimed at the industry's hottest target group - millennials, under 24 years old.

The average age of Chrysler brand buyers is 54. For Jeep, the average age is 48 and for Dodge, 47. "If you see a PT Cruiser parked at a high school, it's probably owned by a middle-aged teacher and not a student," Jim Schroer, Chrysler group's marketing chief, said last week at the New York auto show.

The largest portion of the emerging buyer group, which already is bigger than the baby boomer generation, will hit the market in 2007, said George Murphy, senior vice president of global brand marketing.

"That is where we are spending a lot of our effort; it is a huge priority," he said. "We are looking hard at what to do for those kids. They won't buy cars for a couple of years, but that works with our development cycle."

Vehicles for this generation have to be affordable - priced between $12,000 and $17,000 - but rich in appeal, he said.

Richard Schaum, executive vice president for development and quality, said approval for the M80 could come in the next six months. "That's sooner than I thought," Schaum said.
    Murphy said the M80 has generated the most positive reaction from clinics.

"They say the Jeep Liberty is for their older sister, and the Grand Cherokee is for their parents. But (the M80 and Compass) resonate very well with that generation."

Murphy said the challenge is to woo the new generation without alienating baby boomers and Generation X, Chrysler's bread-and-butter buyer base.

"Aging baby boomers are a huge segment," Murphy said. "They will eat up the Chrysler Pacifica and the Chrysler Crossfire. We have equity with these buyers, and this is where you will make good margins."
    from Edmunds' Concept Car Spotlight: Jeep Compass, Jeep's New Direction, by Warren Clarke.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
  • gmanichgmanich Member Posts: 3
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    gotta go with vero on this, wrong segment. make it a chrysler. they could use a rwd sport kinda car, which this could be in an srt form. chevy will have the gto, ford the stag, chrysler has nothing sporty, rwd and affordable. by the way, rumor is that the hemi engine will be going into grand cherokees next year with something like 350hp. imagine that in this car, damn.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    by the way, i guess i kinda went off without supporting my original statement too thoroughly. the main reason this should be a chrysler and not a jeep is because this would be the first jeep ever unable to pass the rubicon. jeep loyalist would go crazy over this and loyalist would stop buying jeep. so, make it a dodge or a chrysler.
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    I dunno, I think that the Compass is pretty cool. Jeep has a great deal of credibility with the trail riding off-roaders, but the market is changing. Lots of new brands are expanding into the market that Jeep pioneered and initially owned. The Jeep brand needs to evolve to stay relevant (IMHO).

AWD rally cars like the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi EVO could be the target of the Compass. Jeep would have to sell it as "a different kind of off road experience for a different generation" or something like that.

I think that Jeep's real appeal is that it is a brand for individualists or "mavericks", and that image should be maintained, but I don't think that they need to be slavishly devoted to Rubicon trial minority.

Unless you actually go off road, owning a Jeep is just like owning any other car (or truck) and many, many folks buy Jeeps simply because they look cool and of course, the VAST majority of Jeep owners never go off the pavement.

I don't see any rational reason why hardcore Jeepers would be more offended an AWD Compass than they would be by a 2WD Liberty (like my wife's car).
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I think the compass should be made under Chrysler and so should of the liberty. They should of kept the cherokee also. Look what they say about the liberty.
    "They say the Jeep Liberty is for their older sister, and the Grand Cherokee is for their parents."
    I will be looking to replace my daily driver and I am interested in the XJ but I not going to buy a liberty.
    If Jeep keeps going this way I just won't ever buy a new Jeep again. They will probably ruin the wrangler in the near future. Maybe I can get a rubicon and stretched TJ out of them before they start chasing trends.
    Since it's been inactive here for quite some time, this discussion will soon be closed and archived.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Additional Info on Compass and Another Jeep Debuting in 2004 - posted Sunday, August 31, 2003

I'm a sucker for spy shots. With that in mind, I was checking out PopularMechanics.com and saw this snippet on Jeep's plans for the 2004 model year in their "Spy Reports" area:

2004 Jeep Compass

Word out of DaimlerChrysler is that the Compass will definitely be coming to your Jeep dealer within a year. Simply stated, the Compass is a modified Liberty. The major difference from the Liberty is the 2-door body style. Another difference, this more important to Jeep, is that the Compass will be less costly to build than the Liberty. Jeep wants an entry-level model in the Liberty line, and instead of taking features out of the Liberty, the company plans to have the new Compass fill that bill.

2004 Baby Jeep

Reports say that two low-priced Jeeps will make their appearance in dealer showrooms starting in the 2004 model year. Slightly smaller than the Liberty, the new models will feature fewer frills, smaller engines, and niceties that normally boost SUV prices out of reach of younger buyers. The aim is to get buyers into the Jeep fold at an earlier age. What will the new vehicles look like? They'll be easily recognizable as Jeep products, similar in exterior design to Jeep Compass and Willys2 concepts.
  • cgriswoldcgriswold Member Posts: 9
    Have you see the production Jeep Compass? I looks like the Aztec has a little buddy!

To bad! the concept was a great ride and an off road vehicle. The production car is to much pimped out civic want-a-be with a bit of Gremlin (rear side window) tossed in.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2005/frankfurt/highlights/index4.php#car21

sorry to say it!

C Griswold :confuse:
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    I don't think Jeep/Chrysler needs the Compass or the Gladiator truck, and the Commander is too much too late! With gas prices as high as they are most people are looking toward cars, the suv craze is over! The design of the Compass is in a word BAD! It looks like that other piece O crap Chrysler is coming out with, the Caliber. Also, these hard core Jeep owners need to understand that most people don't buy a new Jeep and then take try to drive over a boulder with it. Most people that buy them want the looks and and aren't gonna ruin their new ride.
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    OK, when I saw the very cool Compass concept I thought that Jeep had a good idea for expanding their brand into other, legitimate areas the involving "off pavement" market.

However, the production Compass is HORRIBLE and should NOT be sold as a Jeep. For pity's sake, the thing is a subcompact wagon more similar to the old AMC Gremlin (as someone noted above) than the WRX/Evo. A huge misstep that will devalue the Jeep name instead of expanding the Jeep market.

Jeep was always "the genuine article" as far as off road brands were concerned, now I think Jeep may lose that valuable perception to the Hummer brand (with this rickety jalopy in their line-up).

Hey, Dieter! Pull the plug on the Compass ASAP!
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    to revive this dead forum.

Jeep Compass at Detroit.

I like it! It's been modified from the concepts that we've seen, but still looks handsome and rugged.
  • tsandovaltsandoval Member Posts: 7
    If you look at the original concept and the final product surprise, surprise, surprise.

Thanks for reviving this thread. Dead, being the operative word here, is what I would call the final product. I don't think Jeep can revive this DOA product. :cry:

Now lets see if Detroit can ruin the Buick Enclave Concept. :confuse: The Ford Edge seems to have changed, but not for the worse.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I sure hope to God that Buick doesn't screw up the Enclave. The interior is fabulous, it puts even Lexus to shame. This is the best product to ever wear the Buick badge, (after the Regal GNX, one my favorite cars ;) )

The Compass looks pretty nice, much better than the similarily sized Liberty. I hope they make an SRT version, that'd be pretty neat.

Remember the Rescue concept? That's one Jeep concept that I really want to see in production. I'd choose it over an H2 anyday.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Also check out the Compass blog and add your comments!
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e5bf

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    OK, when I saw the very cool Compass concept I thought that Jeep had a good idea for expanding their brand into other, legitimate areas the involving "off pavement" market.

However, the production Compass is HORRIBLE and should NOT be sold as a Jeep.
    -------------------------------

The two door concept Compass was SHARP! But the production model...not so much. Jeep should have stuck with the rallye car theme, maybe offered the 2.4 with 170hp and FWD but also a turbo AWD with 250-300hp. That would give the WRX and the Evo something to think about.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    ...throw up!

Lord have mercy, how much uglier can this thing get? The face on this monstrosity looks like a squirrel with cheeks full of food. I really dig the AMC Gremlin inspired side profile...NOT! What's with the "hidden" rear door handles...is this a Jeep or a Nissan?

The Compass should be shelved. The new Jeep Patriot is a MUCH better interpretation of Jeep heritage and classic styling. At least the Patriot looks like a Jeep. The Compass is a poor amalgamation of styling miscues that only results in a watered down, pathetic attempt to crack into the crossover segment.

Ugh.
    The Compass should be shelved. The new Jeep Patriot is a MUCH better interpretation of Jeep heritage and classic styling.
    ----------------------------------

I'm really interested in the Patriot. The Compass was sharp when it was a 2 door rallye car but Jeep sort of messed up the production model.

If the Patriot is kept simple and comes in under 18k, I think it will be a huge success.
  • swalker03swalker03 Member Posts: 1
    I would have to agree with most of what I read here. It seems like US car makers are forgetting what Trucks and SUV's are. IRS on the Explorer and Expedition make me want to puke. FWD small SUV's like the Equinox/Torrent and the Escape leave me feeling confused. But a FWD Jeep is down right wrong. Willy and AMC Jeep's are rolling over in junk yard graves all over the world. They rode like trucks because that's what they were! SUV's just had a few more body panels.

I mean, the world used to have constants. The USSR hated the US and capitalism. The Red Sox hated the Yankees and would rather retire than play for Steinbrenner. Archie Bunker would say something non-PC and we would all laugh. And Jeep were either RWD or 4x4 with a solid rear axle, usually a Dana!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a foreign car hater, far from it. I've owned Honda and would again. But making a FWD based Jeep goes against everything they were built for. To be honest, I think Jeep should be building the Gladiator. I see that being more in the Jeep spirit than the Compass. That's my 2 cents...

<a href="http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/news/gladiator.html
    Jeep Gladiator
    But a FWD Jeep is down right wrong.
    ------------------------------------

But what about those who like Jeep styling but don't want RWD or 4WD? I'm extremely interested in the Patriot and I suspect many others are too. I like its styling much better than the Ford Escape, which is a similar vehicle.

Why can't Jeep do both? Rugged 4WD and more economical FWD? The hot trend right now is crossovers and Jeep could greatly expand its market share by joining the game.
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    There have been non-4WD Jeeps around for most of the brand's history. Willys introduced the two-wheel drive Jeep all-steel station wagon, trucks, and Jeepster models well over half a century ago. Then there's all the 2WD postal Jeeps that were built, from the DJ-3 in 1965, through the DJ-5 in 1983, to the last postal Cherokee built in 2001.

The expansion of the Jeep brand through the Compass and Patriot models will serve it well. Remember that DCX intends to market the Compass in other markets around the world. Consider the European market, for example. There, World Rally Competition (WRC) is a motorsport which is second in popularity only to F1. WRC fans are as passionate about the sport as NASCAR fans are here. The difference is that WRC cars bear more of a resemblance to an actual model that people can buy and drive home than Cup cars do, so WRC fans identify more with brands and models than do the NASCAR faithful.

That's why the Compass and Caliber are styled like rally cars. IMO, they look much better than the Focus and most other popular rally models. I didn't care for the look at first, but it has grown on me. There's a point at which "ugly" suddenly becomes "cute." Just ask VW, who felt the need to bring back the basic shape of the classic Beetle in a new model that's a far cry from the original. But 21 million units sold isn't bad for an "ugly" little car.

If DCX gives the Jeep WRC effort the kind of backing that is required to be competitive in the sport, the Compass could give Subaru and Ford Focus some serious sales competition on the Continent. And if the Jeep brand becomes as renown for bad road prowess as it is for off-road capability, I see that as a win/win proposition.

I think Jeep is making all the right moves. Now, if they would just announce that the Gladiator concept will make it into production, I'd have a good reason to trade in my '97 Nissan pickup...
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Yeah, I agree with you on all of these points, except for the "ugly which becomes cute" part. From the photos, the Compass is so ugly it hurts. They should have stuck with the concept - it was nice.
    I think the Compass and upcoming Patriot are too similar. Jeep should have stuck with the 2door Compass concept. Or given it reverse doors like an Element. As is, the only difference is in styling and the Compass may appeal more to women while the Patriot appeals to men.

But the powertrain is right on the money. A large 4cyl with 5sp manual and CVT options. Many competitors offer a too small 4cyl in their base models and sometimes only 4sp autos.

I'm curious to see the mpg on these new models.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    If the Car and Driver test is any indication, mileage should be very good. Basically, this is a Dodge Caliber. This is the reason for the four doors, it isn't a native Jeep platform. It is effectively a Neon replacement.

With that being said, I like the styling of the Jeep version over the Dodge (but the Dodge isn't bad). I am a Jeep owner, and by that I mean a TJ. The fact is, I drive a bunch of miles, which the TJ is handling, but at 14 mpg. I wouldn't mind having something that got decent mileage and could eat up the street miles, and leave my Jeep for more fun activities...and if I was going to do that, why not stay in the Jeep brand. However, I also prefer the Patriot concept, but my understanding was that that idea was dropped. Is that so?
This discussion has been closed.