Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    in Atlanta with great deals on EVO's. I'm sure the SRT can be had for pretty cheap (relatively speaking) here too. There are tons of dealers in this area and competition is fierce.
  • richt5richt5 Member Posts: 43
    Well it looks like the EVO is slower and sum what more ugly than the SRT 4.From what car and driver has to say anyway.I really dont understand this, but it must be the extra weight of the EVO.A dealer in my area has the EVO for 32-34k . It seems something is wrong with this picture.Even with the add on's to the EVO and SUBARU turbo's , they are playing a horsepower game.I know horsepower costs$ ,but come-on, double the dollars (in some cases of the regular sedans) dont think so. I know the [non-permissible content removed] cars are quality, but their regular cars are too---at much less money. If we can make an srt 4 here for 20k , why the big $ for the imports. Plain and simple its a rip off. I hope DODGE dramatically increases the production of the SRT 4's next year to show this point further.A reasonable profit is necessary, but not this.If the imports want to compete, bring the costs down.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I think the Evo is being marked up from around the $29K price tag due to projected demand. Could be wrong though.

I have heard rumors of the production Evo being less potent than the pre-production Evo, but until this is verified, I will go with what I have.

The pre-production Evo was able to do 0-60 in 5.0 secs, 1/4 mile in just under 14 secs, and the skid pad was 0.95 gs (Sports Compact Car Magazine).

The SRT4 by contrast - 0-60 in 5.8 secs, 1/4 mile around 14.6, and 0.84 gs on the skid pad (C&D).

I know these are different magazines that may result in not a quite true comparison, but thse numbers seem to be significantly different enough to justify them.

Also:
    - a WRX's retail price is $25K, and can be had for less.
    - WRX and Evo use an All Wheel Drive setup vs. a FWD setup, and both incorporate 2 LSDs vs. none for the SRT4, One of the main reasons for the added cost.

That might explain the big $ for the imports, not to mention that the Evo uses Bremo Brakes (not cheap), HID headlights vs. reflectors, bigger and better tires/rims combo, Name-brand seats (Recardo), and stiffer structer (stiffeners welded in).
    The SR-T. All wheel drive and Brembo brakes put it in anither class. I would not put my SR-T against an EVO. Especially in anything longer than 1/4 mile.
  • collegecarcollegecar Member Posts: 18
    I heard that the shifter and clutch are junky and a pain to use compared to import cars such as Hondas and Mazdas which have snick-snick shifters with light clutches that glide luxuriously and engage slickly.
    This may be a deal-breaker for many considering the Neon SRT-4 since the manual transmission is a vital part of the driving experience that cannot be ignored.
    Anyone here have experience driving the SRT-4?
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    But I have autocrossed a 1st gen Neon, the transmission isn't Honda-smooth, but it works fine. I tried a 2nd gen on the road, and it felt a little bit better. Guessing that's where the SRT-4 in terms of refinement, perhaps a tad bit better. Still not perfect, but good enough for sub 6 second 0-60 times, tehe.

-B
  • melp90745melp90745 Member Posts: 1
    I went looking for SRT4 lastweek in S.Cali. I found two of W.Covina lot with a mark up of close to $6,000...about $25K total. I asked why so much? the sales agent says 'cause Dodge only make 2K this year. I think this is outrageous...I would not pay even 2k mark up for a Dodge. With a little bit more...you could get a Subaru WRX turbo AWD.
    Went to a Nissan dealer down there, and Muranos and 350Zs were both marked up. Check cars.com and see if any dealers with give you a deal below MSRP?

Also, WRXs can be had for under $23K. (especially 2003s).
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    I think I could live with it since there isn't any honda or mazda in the same price range anywhere near as fast. Might loosen up a little anyway once you get some miles on it.
  • svtcontour1svtcontour1 Member Posts: 1
    I got to sit in an SRT-4 for quite a bit at the Chicago Auto Show and work the clutch/shifter, and I found it to be quite good. Reasonably short throws, and solid-feeling. It's not as "snick-snick" as the Miata or the Acura RSX, but at the same time it didn't feel "floppy", which is what drives me nuts. It has a very positive action with little slop: it feels good. In fact, I would be so bold to describe it as "crisp." I'm scheduled to test-drive one in a few weeks once the local dealer gets his in, so I'll report after that.
    Ive read that the Evo has a water spray on the inter cooler. Reading srt 4--- 1/4 mile times ,heat build up slows the car .5-.6 seconds after 3 runs. It seems a relatively easy thing to add to the srt 4. The Evo (considering its experience) and respect. If they use it ,there is a reason. It sounds like a cheap way to keep the heat down and performance consistent. This has never been mentioned so I invite comments from the turbo Experts. thanks
    I don't think most drag strips will let you run a sprayer but they do help. They don't want the water getting on the track and making it slippery.
    If you read other forms on the SRT 4, what seems to be happening is a lot of guys are having problems with the car.Blown head gaskets, clutch linkage , leaking inter coolers, electronic control problems, boost gage and temp. gage failure,poor paint finish and the lack of dealers to fix the problems ,probably because the cars are still new. Everything considered, there are not many of these cars around and with few miles on them.Is this just a sample of things to come or is it just going to take a while to get the bugs out. I think DODGE would have put strong quality control on this car, being a brand image and setting the stage for future NEON sales.--OPINIONS--
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    How about posting some URLs or references to these other forums. This is the only one here I'm aware of unless you are referring to the "experts" on the Honda forums. I've never seen so much "Hot Air" being expelled about a car that has hardly been out a few months on the coasts and won't be in the Mid West for another 2 or 3 months. I also suspect most of the folks have never owned a Neon who are spewing the most "Hot Air"
    I never post b.s.----there are a number of other good forums out there. The info is from actual srt 4 owners. I have a deposit on one of these cars so i am not downing DODGE, but am very concerned. As you will see there are problems, that I or no one can justify. No HONDA GUY. I was glad to see DODGE come out with this car, to put down the imports--- but that does not seem to be the case. Go to www.srtforums.com , click under the picture and go to srt 4 problems and dealer services. Let me know your impressions. thanks
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    hmmmm...?? I've spent some time at those forums, and I have only seen a few people with a few problems.

It's a new car, it will have some teething pains, but the sky is not falling.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    It has a comparo with the Mazdaspeed Protege, Focus SVT 5-door, Sentra SE-R and SRT-4. I was shocked to see the Neon come in first place! The main complaints were with the lack of a LSD and lousy gas mileage. The editors seemed genuinely surprised with the extent of the transformation over a stock Neon.

As I recall, the order was
    4. Sentra SE-R Spec V
    3. Mazdaspeed Protege
    2. Focus SVT (I might have 2-3 mixed up here)
    1. SRT-4.

My favorite comment was something to the effect of "Mustang GT and 350Z owners, race for pink slips at your peril".

-Jason
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    It shouldn't be a shock. The finishing order you gave is very similar, if not the same as what Sport Compact Car magazine concluded (especially if you do have 2 and 3 mixed up).
    The SRT-4 is fast, but the question is how reliable will it be?
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Richt5, there are very few problems listed over at the SRTforums page. That headgasket failure was on a brand new car that overheated while driving it off the lot, I'd say a slip-up while building or they didn't get a full tank of water in it. Actually there seem to be very few problems considering the new content involved in the powertrain of this car. There is also a big SRT-4 discussion over at www.neons.org not many problems there either.

Saw a Mazda speed protoge at the dealer yesterday. They are OK, but seem pretty short on power compared to what the Neon got out of the old DOHC 2.0. The color was a knockout on the Mazada though, a very cool orange. I'd have paid $500 more to get my truck in that color!
    A slip up while building---- Is a problem. I did find out that some posts, which were stated as problems---were problems caused by owner modifications to the SRT 4 and there for not by DODGE. We will see how this all shakes out in a year or so.
    But very few sold too. Not good right off the bat.
    I've got 3 Neons. 1 is a 99 Plymouth Expresso coupe with the DOHC 2.0, 1 is a 99 Dodge R/T coupe and the last is a 2002 R/T. Minor problems with the 99s fixed on first trip to the dealer, never left us stranded or did not start. 2002 has had ZERO problems, oil changes only. Personally based on MY experience with 3 of them shows that they don't deserve the bad reputation import owners seem to want to give them.

I Read the Car and Driver test.
    1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds and 102mph if I recall correctly, who cares if it only averages 14mpg!

Top speed 153mph, who cares about mileage! Best I ever got out of my 2002 was an indicated 127mph Another nice thing about the R/Ts, no fuel cutoff at 98mph like Pontiac GrandAm and others. My 02 R/T averages 28mpg with my foot in it most of the time. Paid $15K after rebates and that was with leather too.
    it was due to the engine being in the "sweet spot" of turbo thrust for a good portion of the time driven. This tends to dramatically eat away at gas mileage. Would bet if driven normally, it would get 20+ mpg.

Also, thought it was a 2.4 dohc and not a 2.0?
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    .....All the action is taking place in other SRT forums. Anyways, since lack of LSD is quoted as one of the drawbacks of this car, can it be added in aftermarket? How much does it cost?

How are the real owners finding this car so far?
    True, the SRT-4 is a 2.4 (SOHC?) while the 2002 R/T is a 2.0 SOHC. The last 2.0 DOHC made was in 1999.
    Yes a LSD can be added in the aftermarket. I don't know if anybody is making one for the srt-4 yet so its kinda hard to figure out price. The ones for the old turbo dodges range from $159-$1200 depending on the trans and if you want to go half assed or not if that helps :)
    The 2.4L in the SRT4 is a DOHC.
  • tallzagtallzag Member Posts: 3
    Saw an SRT-4 with "supposedly" just a boost controller with 15 PSI of boost pull 220 ad 276 this weekend. I saw the sheet, it was real. He ran a 13.8 at the strip the day before. That is awesome power out of a 4 banger. He said the 5 speed is the limiting factor, it wouldn't shift? This didn't make any sense to me.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    just ran a 13.9 stock.
    Check out the results from the first Road Atlanta race!

1 3 RUF RGT SSGT1 3:29.642 420
    Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
    2 2 chev MTI Z-07 SSGT1 3:36.336 415
    Ronald Adee, John Myrick
    3 52 Dodge SRT-4 MidPri Sed 3:40.464 410
    Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele

10th overall:
    1 2 chev MTI Z-07 SSGT1 2465
    Ronald Adee, John Myrick
    2 4 Chevy Corvette Z06 SSGT1 2465
    John Boos, Ronald Marks
    3 3 RUF RGT SSGT1 2440
    Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
    4 1 Dodge Viper SSGT1 2425
    David Zelkowski, Brian Smith
    5 5 Toyota Supra Turbo SSGT1 2350
    Andi Baritchi, Clint Pohler
    6 6 Dodge Viper GTS SSGT1 2340
    Alan Modzelewski, Tom Atherton
    7 8 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo SSGT1 2330
    Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth
    8 20 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 SSGT1 2180
    Scott Ahlgrim, Steve Ahlgrim
    9 7 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 SSGT1 2175
    Rodney Sizemore, Rick Sizemore
    10 52 Dodge SRT-4 MidPri Sed 2075
    Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele

Next car in the same class is a WRX, which is in 15th overall.

SRT4 has factory stage 1 kit, ACR struts, thicker rear roll bar, and factory LSD, along with 16" rims and street tires. Not too shabby eh? All of the stuff is/will be available shortly from your local Dodge dealer...

There's a whole thread on the SRT4 Forums board about the SRT4 in the race.
    Does anyone have inside information on 2004 SRT 4,as far as delivery is concerned, will we be able to order 1 and how many will be made for 2004. Maybe someone out there works for dodge and has the info.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What's the stage 1 kit, do you know?
    Other than the picture from a car show from a looooong time ago mentioning a computer upgrade and higher fuel injector output, I don't know.

Supposed to have around 240HP/265 lbs-ft of torque, but with the stock SRT4 getting 210-230HP at the wheels, who knows. Stage 2 260/275 is a little more boost, fuel injector boost and some exhaust work, and stage 3 300/300 is a turbo replacement, computer and injector work and complete change in the exhaust which removes the cat and makes it off-road only.

This all based off something that is rather old at this point. Read a couple of rumors that at least Stage 1 will be offered come summer, sometime in the next month or so. Sure there will be a press release.

Curious about the LSD they are going to offer, and how much it will be. Shaping up to be a decent little performance vehicle, espeically if they finish in the top 10 at the One Lap of America.

-B
    SRT-4 dyno runs

I think there maybe a http://www.quaifeusa.com/ lsd available already and if not there will be soon. They aren't cheap though but a phantom grip style lsd will probably be out soon too and they are a lot less expensive but not as good.
    Moved up one space as of last night... Wow, a top ten finish by a 20K in the mid-priced sedan category with only top all-out sports cars in the top class ahead of it would be fantastic! Talk about a good marketing opportunity...

-B
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Just checked. We are not able to order 04's yet, not that we've seen many 03's her in the greater Phila area.
    For the SRT-4 is ready to go. +25HP +25 lbs-ft of torque for $399 from your local Dodge dealer. Not too shabby!

-B
  • kidevo1kidevo1 Member Posts: 31
    What does stage one consist of and does it retain your warranty?
    bigger injectors and ECU flash.

Same as any performance mod minus the TRD supercharger from Toyota. If item causes the problem, it won't be covered.

A bit tough to handle since many things could be blamed on the ECU...

-B
  • socalsrt4socalsrt4 Member Posts: 5
    Installed a cold air intake hose and Uni filter over the weekend on my silver SRT-4. The hose is a piece of 3" diameter flexible aluminum ducting, going right into the stock airbox inlet and hanging down inside the inner fender, has a slight angle at the bottom to catch that air moving under the car. I punched a small hole at the bottom of the hose and ziptied it to the black inner fender.

Also replaced the stock air filter with a dual-stage foam Uni filter from a motorcycle store (part #NU-2295ST, $23 retail). It has a small hole in the top, which I sealed with a screw, body washer, and black RTV. It's not as big around as the stock paper filter, but it's longer, and fills the airbox quite nicely. I've used both Uni foam filters and K&N gauze filters on my Moto Guzzi motorcycles, and the one thing I know for sure is the Unis flow more air. I had to adjust the fuel/air and idle set screws on one of my bikes after switching from Unis to K&Ns. Since the motorcycle shop had a Uni filter that would work, and it was about half the price of a K&N, I decided it was worth a try.

My initial impressions of the cold air intake hose/Uni filter combo are very positive. The car has a little growl to it under the hood, to balance out the growl coming from the exhaust. It also pulls "fast and furious" all the way to redline, and seems more responsive in the powerband, at least according to my seat of the pants dyno. Another added plus is it doesn't seem to pop and fart as much as it used to. I put some pics into a Word doc, and can send it out to anyone that's interested. Send me an e-mail at: RND5962@aol.com, and I'll send it along.

I've also been looking real hard at a set of Centerline RPM rims, 17x7, in black pearl. They weigh only 13.5 lbs each, which is about 11 lbs less than the Motegi MR7s I was considering. That's some serious savings in unsprung weight, which will make the car accelerate faster and handle quicker. But at $340 a wheel retail, I'm going to have to give it some serious thought. Maybe when I get back from this deployment I'll treat myself to a set of those wheels and a stage I kit?!

Robert
  • joe70vwjoe70vw Member Posts: 8
    I was looking for a sporty, fast, street racer for under 20K. Went to 3 nearby Dodge dealers to look at the SRT4. All dealers had them priced over sticker, none offered rebates or low financing offered to their other models. I was not even allowed to test drive. I'm 39 yrs old, have excellent credit and make 90k a year. The dodge dealers think they are selling a Porche 911s. NOT EVEN! I will never step foot on Dodge dealer lot again.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I'm 25, went to one dodge dealer, got a test drive without even giving my license. Fantastic car, lots of fun.
  • jackbelt20jackbelt20 Member Posts: 1
    I would love to buy a SRT-4 but still haven`t seen even one on any of the local Dodge lots. I`ve heard production is going up in 04` but I still haven`t heard any numbers. If there have been any at the dealerships around me, they were gone within hours. It pisses me off that Dodge comes out with this hot car that you can`t get. And I will not even try and order one and pay any dealer mark-up! What`s the point of making an affordable hot rod you can`t get. Dodge needs to get with the program!
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    My closest Dodge dealer has three Neons in stock. A red one, a gray one, and a yellow one which is the one that I test drove. All I had to do is let them copy my driver's license.

I didn't flog it, but the sales manager sure did. I was more interested in the low speed manners of the car.

I was fairly impressed. Asides from the semi-claustraphobic seats and the booming exhaust sound, it was a pretty fun car to drive.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    My nephew is in love with the Viper, but, of course, can't afford one (or the astronomical insurance rates). I'm going to tell him the next best thing is the SRT-4. He won't believe me until he test drives one. I read where it has Z28 acceleration. I think he'll be very satisfied. He'll also be fighting with his dad for the keys. I hope he buys one and lets his uncle take it for a spin.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Improvements have been made to the 2004 SRT-4, which should be hitting showrooms in a few weeks. Coming after only 1 model year, this investment by DC shows me that management was impressed with the initial reception of the SRT-4. Probably has helped sales of ordinary Neons, too. Here's what I learned:

* New torque-sensing limited-slip differential, developed jointly with Quaife (important addition)
    * Bump in hp to 230 and torque to 250 lb-ft (since the 2003 model's torque and hp ratings were understated, I'm not sure how significant this "increase" really is)
    * New NGC3 engine control module and new calibration for wider torque range
    *Larger fuel injectors
    * New BF Goodrich KDW2 three-season tires standard (probably better in the wet)
    * Electric Blue replaces Solar Yellow (personally, I liked the Solar Yellow, but a lot of ppl didn't)

Looks a great car got even better...
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Is the Quaife differential coming standard, or is it an option?
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Quaife is standard.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    It would be really, really hard to pass this car up if you are looking for a FAST, great handling, sport compact sedan.

If it was a hatchback or small wagon, I'd be all over it.