Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Comments

• racefanracefan Member Posts: 2
    I'm starting to kick a few tires in order to replace my 2001 Intrepid ES. I sold my 95 Mustang GT last summer so I'm looking for a smallish 4 door car that goes like stink. I test drove a 2003 SRT-4 the other day and, except for the Viperish seats, enjoyed the experience.

I also drove a 2004 Mazda6s w/ 5 speed, not impressed with low end power. Everything else seemed ok. Also drive a 2005 Altima 3.5 SE with automatic (no 5 speed was available). It seemed ok but I'm only interested in a 5 speed. Apparently these are very difficult to get.

Any word on when the 2005 SRT-4 is due out? Any word on (or links about) changes from the 2004 model year? Especially with respect to power changes and factory power rear windows.

I'd like to get a new car sooner rather than later but I don't mind waiting a bit to get a better vehicle.

Thanks.

Rick
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    I'm not looking to replace my Prelude by any means. Just asking questions.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    "Not legal for sale on pollution-controlled vehicles or vehicles registered for highway use."

- Comming from the WRX forum, the Subaru and dealer sold upgrades have a very similiar disclaimer.
        As the people on this board have indicated this is wording by Dodge's lawyers to protect Dodge from responsibility if your car does not meet the state's environmental specs as a result of the upgrades. Also means that Dodge has no other responsibility from mis-use of the upgrades as well.

With that said, I would expect many Dodge dealers to sell the upgrades anyway (even install them) since this disclaimer means they can use the "track racing" excuse.
    Talk to your dealer, or one that offers these power upgrades.

For performance for the price the SRT-4 is a bargain.
  • racefanracefan Member Posts: 2
    Since I had no other responses from here, I figured I'd pass on what I'd read on other sites.

For the 2005 SRT-4, no changes other than the following:

1. One color dropped (conflicting answers as to which one), one color added (orange).

2. 7 year powertrain warranty no longer included, powertrain is only covered through the 3yr/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty.

3. Up to an $800 price increase.

4. 2005s are to be built starting sometime in July, showing up at dealerships either August or September (depending on what site you're viewing)

5. Dodge's customer support email service says they have no information at all about the 2005 SRT-4. Must be some kind of state secret or something.

That's all I've found out so far.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Is this a good price $17,995 for a new SRT-4 with side air bags and sunroof?
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    With a 300HP engine this car would need a safety cage, "wheelie" bars, and a parachute. Still, $2400 is a great price for superb performance. And I thought my '66 Nova (350HP) was fast!
  • jhpmichealjhpmicheal Member Posts: 14
    I am just wondering why 05' is priced higher than 04'?
    I can't find any major differences in specs or features.
    Now I am a college student, and I am very sensitive in $$$.
    Please tell me which year of SRT-4 is worth to buy? or any other recommendations...
  • jim_tnjim_tn Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering if anyone has had a problem the the SRT-4 clutch. Lost mine after 3000 miles which was strange. It wasn't abused but was tested to see what it could do after the normal break-in period. Did have good service at the dealer and from Chrysler.

No problems so far with the replacement.
  • scottw03scottw03 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone here have a 2005 SRT-4? Any problems? I just bought one and it should be here in about 2 weeks. Everything I have read so far seems to be saying that everyone loves them. Has anyone actually had any problems with them? If so what type and what year? Thanks. I can't wait until mine gets here
  • carismylifecarismylife Member Posts: 2
    no problems but oil leak. prob my fault due to synthetic oil. and wrong plugs. it needed NGK!!!!!!!!
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    How much is the going price for a new car?
  • rsx1004rsx1004 Member Posts: 1
    Orange is the color to go. you sohuld also have a cf hood and black pouder coated rims.
  • johnblaze1johnblaze1 Member Posts: 1
    WHAT DO YOU CATS RECOMMEND FIRST? what the cheapest and the best? i.e. lowering " ride height is way too high"! , 1.00$ (one u.s. dollar) maual boost controller, intake, injectors, spark wires, What do ya think ive hit 20psi bye the way>due to the $1.00 boost controller< is thats bad for a stock srt-4. and if so will warranty even be able to tell? lots to say my BAD, CAN ANYBODY HELP?
  • arg11arg11 Member Posts: 5
    What do you mean $1 boost controller, you mean a spring mod? Running 20 psi? Yes, 20 psi is bad for your car as described.

To answer another question. . . Dodge has produced a slick document with pictures and diagrams to help techs find mods and void warranties. Here's some text:

Wastegate Actuator

Perhaps the most popular method is to modify the
    turbo&#146;s wastegate actuator to keep it closed longer,
    increasing the amount of boost. The engine will
    want more fuel &#150; but the system may not be able to
    keep up. This can result in spark knock, which the
    engine controller will attempt to compensate for.
    Wastegate actuator modifications can often result in
    catastrophic engine failures such as burned pistons,
    blown head gaskets, turbo overspeeding, and
    bearing damage. They often set certain fault codes
    (P1188, P0234, P0068).

This is followed by aforementioned examples and pictures...

Oops!
  • aite_eternelleaite_eternelle Member Posts: 3
    I think so long as it's not a 2000 you're alright :)
  • makomekomakomeko Member Posts: 1
    I really don't know why the 05's are priced higher than previous. If i were you I would find an older SRT-4, after all, they all still look the same. I own a 2004. In my opinion it is better to try to find an older srt-4. I've seen them for as low as $13,000 (less than 45k miles.) They are still fast and if you get lucky you might even find a yellow one (those are really hard to find).
  • daman3daman3 Member Posts: 1
    i want to put in a boost controller put i dont know how much the stock fuel system can hold, the stock wastegate etc.
    Does anyone know the numbers on these, and how much boost i can run?
    Thanks
  • fmcdonaldfmcdonald Member Posts: 1
    When I depress the brake pedal my rpm meter goes up, engine races and car goes forward until I pump the brake to get control over the car again. I have brought it back to the dealer and they cannot find anything. One of the Mechanics went with me for a ride and suggested that I was hitting the brake and gas pedal at the same time. Needless to say I was not too happy with his suggestion. This car has almost put me over embankments and into the backs of other cars. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
  • 90gs90gs Member Posts: 107
    This isn't for certain but your problem is probably with the TPS sensor. The part shouldn't be more than $50 bucks or so...it happens to all types of diff. cars
  • dodgeneondodgeneon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Dodge Neon and the engine light just turned on yesterday. What can I check before I take it in to have it serviced? I just checked the gas cap and it wasn't that so now I am lost. I'm not much of a mechanic so I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You should probably look through the information in our "Check Engine" light discussion. You can also ask there while you're waiting to see if someone here can help. Good luck.
  • fleabagfleabag Member Posts: 1
    My son has an 05 with 1200 miles and the clutch went--dealer called it abuse and won't cover it under warranty. Was yours covered under warranty and if so, how? No doubt, he might have abused it, but if Chrysler offers a beefed up clutch(and they do), why didn't they install that initially??? With a 230 horse engine and limited slip diff, I'd thought thy would. Any ideas on talking to the dealer or Chrysler??
  • streetneonstreetneon Member Posts: 2
    can i put a new srt-4 motor in a 1995 dodge neon highline 4-dr
  • unacceptedunaccepted Member Posts: 1
    The clutch on the SRT is already heavy duty. You son just needs more wisdom and experience to drive that car. I hope this isn't his first car!
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Anyone seem the specs, prices

Is the power train still 7/70 I heard Doge was lowering to 3/36 across the board.

Rumored 6-speed on all Neons ?

Did Neon finally get power rear windows and a remote gas cap ?
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    No 2006 SRT- 4 or Neons, last Neon rolled off the factory floor last week.

SRT-4 motor will work in 1st gen, my old 1st gen NYG now is running around with a SRT-4 motor in it. Not mine anymore, I've moved onto AWD. Check out the website with the word neons in the name, a decent number of folks have done it.
  • noblegasnoblegas Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a factory exhaust for a SRT-4 for my 2001 RT i think that all mounting points and hangers should be the same or with minor mods. If any one has swapped out their factory for an after market one and you want to sell it contact me. Or if you know any resources.
  • psychoirishpsychoirish Member Posts: 4
    hey guys im pretty new to the forum but i think i can help u guys a lil bit. if anyone has any questions about dealers or service or anything like that. i got mad hookups in that area. my bro in law is the gsm at a 5 star chrysler dealership in oklahoma. he controls the dealership but my sister controls him so. if anyone has any questions about price, rebates, service, or anything i can definetly help u out there. peace
  • jeaqnjeaqn Member Posts: 2
    i paid 1 payment on 2005 neon
    car was shaking they rotated tires pulled to right

they said it was the low profile tires ..went back
    then its cold...wont come out of park you cant move the shifter at all until the car runs

10 mins dearler said never heard of this ,,it was caused
    because it is cold and metal expaneds????/they rotated the tires again,,,still shakes n pulls to right...has anyone had this problem??/
  • jeaqnjeaqn Member Posts: 2
    i have a wobble n pulling in front end ...service said
    was low profile tires ..rotated tires still doing it

the worst that when it gets cold shifter wont come out of park until car runs for 10 mins then it stiff to move...
    the dealer is jacking me around on these proublems
    because warrenty is all most up good luck to you
  • cbadgettcbadgett Member Posts: 1
    heuy wats up i have an 03 neon sxt i want to do a motor from that to a srt 4 tranny and motor can you help me ?
  • insanetuner18insanetuner18 Member Posts: 1
    the 05's have 15 more horsepower and a new quaiff limited slip differential. That is why they are more expensive. Trust me that 15 does alot an dthe slip helps the power plant to the ground.
  • pookie_utpookie_ut Member Posts: 1
    hey man i live down in kingsport, tennessee and ive been wanting an orange 2005 srt-4 and i was wondering if you could help me out with some good prices and rebates if there are any. any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The poster may be able to tell you about rebates, prices in your area, or give you other general information, but just so there is no misunderstanding, let me remind you that buying and selling is not allowed in our Forums.
  • tareatarea Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching and searching for a 2005 SRT4 in the Oklahoma City/Metro area! CANNOT FIND ANY!!! I must buy it from a dealership! If you know of ANY please reply!!
  • nhclubownernhclubowner Member Posts: 4
    People get together and show off their
    cars. Fun day for sport compact and
    classic car enthusiasts.
    Stock & modified cars welcome!

Sundays 2 PM to 6 PM (start May 7, 2006)
    at Daniels Hall, Route 4,
    Nottingham, NH. Show, buy & sell.
    Food available, large paved parking
    area, along with inside
    seating area. Vote for best modified
    and stock of show, trophies awarded.
    Tables and space available for
    vendors.

For additional info visit:
    www.tunercarmeet.com

Great way to meet other car people!

Dave
  • roc80roc80 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for some people who are game for some comp. On June third there is a speed challenge and car show (imports vs. domestic. for more info log on to
    WWW.WINGEDWARRIOR.NET Hope to see ya there
  • ytryytry Member Posts: 1
    I know this is kind of late buying a 2005 model, but
    I bought one. I traded in my 96 civic ex and bought 2005 commemorative edition srt4.
    I'm paying $409 for 60months.
    I like to know what other people have paid if they bought it recently.
  • chaterchater Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 srt4 and i have replaced the front axle shafts on both sides once and am dooing the left side for the second time now. anyone else have this same problem?
  • srtnut1srtnut1 Member Posts: 3
    Dodge will screw you if you have them do any upgrades. They will void entite car warranty
    yea do not try to modify , mopar and dodge will not honor warrany. they will void entire car warranty
    dodge tried to blame clutch on me too, took to a private dealer, no clutch damage. also added stage 3 and it voided entire car warranty. stay away from dodge, lies and misleading. blame is abuse on all their repairs
  • hollyhhollyh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 02 dodge mine has always pulled and I got mine brand new Be careful because my car just caused me a wreck I put it in park and pulled the emergency brake up and turned off the ignition and it went rolling dragging me and my 6 year old son. I just don't think they are good cars
  • kamakazekamakaze Member Posts: 1
    I Own A Towing Company In Louisiana And I Towed In A SRT-4 Back In Dec. Of '06 The Jack-Azz That Owns It Has Let It Sit There Since. When It First Came In It Ran Great As Far As Sitting There Reving It Up (I Never Took It On The Road) But I Haven't Started SInce About The Beginning Of Jan. '07 Well Now I Am Very Close To Getting The Title On It And It Becoming Mine, So I Cranked It Up About 2 Weeks Ago And When I Went To Give It Gas The Boost Gauge Would Get To Zero And Then The Motor Would Fall On Its Face I Don't Know If It's From Sitting Up And It Will Run Better After Time Or If The Turbo Is Messed Up I Would Greatly Appreciate Any Help This WOuld Be My First Turbo Car So I Don't Know Much At All About Them Thanks In Advance
  • 05acr05acr Member Posts: 1
    turbo cars donot make boost until they are under load...so take it out on the street and play with it a bit :)
  • a1autosa1autos Member Posts: 1
    Be sure and put fresh fuel (91) in the car. Old fuel will cause lots of problems in any car, turbo or not.
  • nitrousxlnitrousxl Member Posts: 12
    I am trying to decide between an Acura RSX, 06-08 Honda Civic Si, or a Dodge Neon SRT-4. The SRT-4's acceleration seems incredible for such a cheap car, but my mom had a regular neon and the engine broke down after about 40K miles. Is the SRT-4 any better?
  • spokenntruespokenntrue Member Posts: 3
    Need some help here before I call it quits and let a garage charge me for the repairs. I have an 04 srt4 that won't start. The o2 sensor went out and I replaced that then it says the camshaft positioning sensor went out and I replaced that for the second time and found out that it could've been the crankshaft sensor so I replaced that too, but the camshaft positioning sensor keeps tripping a code and not allowing the car to start. Any suggestions would be great, cause I'm out of ideas except for it being located directly in the wiring harness.
  • spokenntruespokenntrue Member Posts: 3
    My srt4 is broke down now but ti's the first major problem that it's had since I got it brand new in december of 03, and it's an electrical problem. Other than that the car has been great and has about 116 thousand miles on. It was definately worth the money.