Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...start with the EPA. All of the manufacturers have had big fights with them on the topic of the OBD diagnostics and warnings. Toyota in particular has gone to the mat with them and lost...VW is just doing what the law requires.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I can see Toyota getting upset, considering most customers EXPECT to get a problem free car if they're going the Toyota route. A co-worker also had two trips to the dealer for check engine lights on their Camry. Once was they claimed it was the fuel cap, the next time they replaced the o2 sensor.
  • cabrales1cabrales1 Member Posts: 36
    Moparbad and Seabring95 - This is great information you guys have given me. I'll keep it in mind for when the car goes out of warranty. I am pretty handy and many years ago did a lot of my own maintenance, but since cars have gone the computer route, I mostly rely on professionals. How much are these diagnosis machines/programs that guys in these boards talk about?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    As a foil, to the normal perception that Toyota is "problem free", I would say that my VW Jetta TDI at the same mileage (30,000) has been way more trouble and MAINTENANCE FREE than a previous but older Camry.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    www.ross-tech.com is where you will find info. on the equipment needed to scan VW. It is not inexpensive at $250 for a USB interface and software.
    www.ross-tech.com is where you will find info. on the equipment needed to scan VW. It is not inexpensive at $250 for a USB interface and software.

From what I've heard dealers charging for diagnostic work, $250 is inexpensive in my book. Nevermind the other capabilities you get with the program. I diagnosed my MAF as being out of spec and was able to find a cheap replacement online. Dealers were charging $500 for diagnosic/MAF replacement. I paid about $100 for mine and spent a whole ten minutes swapping it out. I'll never go to a dealer, hahaha
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    I had to replace a glow plug and wiring harness last fall at about 60K on my 2000 Beetle. I think it was about $600. I don't really have the time or knowledge to work on cars. I still change the oil in my Avalanche because I can get under it without having to use ramps or remove the engine guards.
    With a oil extraction tool (cheap) you can change the TDI oil without ever going underneath. Filter is right on top and is a paper medium which means no mess. Just pop the top cover off the motor and suck out the oil. Easiest/cleanest oil change I've ever done.

I usually pay to have the maintenance done on our Tahoe. Can't save enough money doing it myself like I can the VW. Chevy dealer charges $23 for the full LOF, and $5 for a tire rotation. I'm not going to crawl under the thing to save $10. The VW is a different story though, substantial savings by doing the work yourself.

Glow plug replacement is about as easy as changing a spark plug. The harness is real easy too, as both are right in the front of the motor. Figure an hour if you have no idea what you're doing. A glow plug and a harness would run you about $50 at any of the online VW parts stores. Just FYI.
    Ouch! $600 for less than $60 in parts and less than one hour in labor! Even if they change all four plugs the total would not reasonably be close to $600. The charge on your repair is irresponsible and exceeds greed to the point of fraud IMO. Do you still have your vehicle serviced at the same dealer? Is there an alternative in your area?
  • vincentwangvincentwang Member Posts: 42
    Just called couple dealers here in great Vancouver, seems no even one 04 TDI wagon on their lot, the soonest one will take 2 weeks to order. Wow, I mean the fule price make people crazy here! Well, I will pospone my plan or just go for a Subaru Legacy wagon.
  • cabrales1cabrales1 Member Posts: 36
    Well, the check engine light is back on. I'll try to get it back to the dealer in the next couple of days. I wonder if they did something wrong, or if the new glow plug they installed is bad, or if it is a new problem. Again, I hope this is not normal. I found it interesting though, the first time I took it in the rep went out of his way to tell me that if the problem was a vacuum line that came off, it would not be covered by the warranty. This is the first time ever I have been told something like that with a car that has 20k miles and is still under the manufacturer's warranty. It seems to me that a vacuum line should not just "pop off" unless it was defective or installed incorrectly.
    I wonder if they even tested the glowplug that they replaced. Not hard, just need entry level skills running a micrometer. Possible they couldn't find anything and just decided to replace the plug to get some warranty money while they were under the hood. Or the harness could be bad. Not very typical repairs for such a low mileage vehicle. I'd be leaning more toward the harness or connection being corroded, than a glowplug. Weather conditions could cause this at such a low mile and is a very easy fix (sandpaper on the contact points to clean them up). I would imagine just removing the harness (when they replaced the glow plug) could have cleaned off the contacts enough to keep the light off for awhile anyway. If it turns out the harness light is getting set again, I'd isist they at least clean ALL the contacts before putting it back together. That has fixed mine twice over 80k miles, of course it's my money I'm spending so I tend to look at the easy fixes first before shotgunning parts;)
  • hvyhvy Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 tdi golf and was trying to find an auto repair manual for the do it yourself person but i cant seem to find anything. told by dealer that everything is on cd rom and is quite expensive(600 dollars for set)would like to do some of my own maintenance. I am new to vw diesels. is the new pd engine that different from the old style besides the injector system
    Bentley manuals are the Chiltons equivalent. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/resource.htm?subject=20#sub91 doesn't look like they offer the print manual for '04. I have both CD versions and print, and find the print version easier to use. Maybe they just haven't published the print yet. Email me, I can get you a link to some online DIY maintenance. I use the books very little honestly, but they'll be helpful when/if I need to make more serious repairs. I avoid the dealer at all cost.
  • vzh9p7vzh9p7 Member Posts: 24
    Sebring, once again, your are a wealth of helpful knowledge...so here's my question: My TDI (2003 Jetta), just came off warranty, and I'd like to do a lot of the maintenance myself. Do you recommend the "Repair Manual" on CD from that site, or the "SERVICE manual"? My expectations are to do the oil (as I've been doing), but also plugs, snorkels, EGR stuff, etc....but probably nothing real complicated. Thanks again. I'd buy you a beer if you were here...

Jason
    I personally prefer the print manual, as it's easier to flip through the pages and leave in the garage/trunk next to your tools. Gotta drag out the laptop for the online/cd version, and personally I think it's difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for. Seems like the data is more technical on the CD as well, not geared as much for routine maintenance.

Best bet is to email me so I can get you some detailed instructions on doing many of the maintenance items. I can't link them directly in here due to edmunds rules. I've also found there's some better methods to performing service/repairs available online, that the Bentley manuals don't address. Mainly because their manuals are geared toward ALL jettas/golfs/etc. where the online sites have more detail geared toward TDI issues.

When I changed out my suspension, I researched both my cd's, print manual, and some online sources. The Bentley offered good directions (although one step was absolutely wrong, misprint or something) but I picked up some tips from the online sources that worked out better than doing it the way the manual stated. Sometimes trial and error is better than the written way, and it's great when others have already figured out the errors:) Or easier ways to do something. I'm always interested in THAT!
    "Bentley manuals are the Chiltons equivalent. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/resource.htm?subject=20#sub91 doesn't look like they offer the print manual for '04. I have both CD versions and print, and find the print version easier to use. Maybe they just haven't published the print yet. Email me, I can get you a link to some online DIY maintenance. I use the books very little honestly, but they'll be helpful when/if I need to make more serious repairs. I avoid the dealer at all cost. "

Ditto on the above quote. Typically, what happened in the case of the 2003 VW Jetta, they came out 6-12 months later with the newest paper book. So in your case the 2004 paper book will be out sometime in late 2004 or early 2005.
    Print version is preferred. Also recommended is VAGCOM www.rosstech.com.

parts source is www.vwparts.com
  • hvyhvy Member Posts: 8
    thanks for the info on bentley.had checked on chiltons and haynes but no luck.will probably have to wait a few months for the book version.i,m mainly interested in info for changing oil,draining fuel separator,filters etc. any links or web sites you could provide would be appreciated.
    I might consider the 05 jetta TDI Wagon once it offer a stronger engin maybe the one use on Passat currently. But can't find any detail information about it.

Any links? Thanks
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (vincentwang)I am wondering if you have driven a TDI. They have pleanty of power. It takes a while to learn how to drive the torque and not be reving the engine up looking for power in the upper RPM range.

The TDI engine is so torquey, I never even use the throttle when starting from a stop....just release the clutch and it pulls like a tractor.

If you REALLY desire more power, there is a "chip" available that makes so much torque that it has been known to burn up the clutch if one uses full throttle. (it will actually 'spin' the clutch)
    Thanks.

I did test drive 02 and 04 jstta tdi and i know the torque is great there. but as I heard the 05 will have a wider wheelbase it should come with a better engin. No one will refuse that, right?
    O5 Jetta, Golf and New Beetle will have the same TDI engine and transmissions and body as the 04 models.
    The 05's will be arriving soon, unchanged. The info. in Edmunds regarding the 05 Jetta is inaccurate.
    I really don't know, cause some guy told me the only huge improvement will take place in 06 jetta. Totally confused.
    Do you have any idea when the 05 will come out?
    The current generation body of both the Jetta and Golf will probably continue in the North American market well into calendar year 2005. Thus, the first "2005 models" are certain to be the current cars, just as you see them today as '04 models.

Sometime in the calendar year 2005, the new generation of Jetta will be introduced into this market. Whether VWOA chooses to call them '05s or '06s will depend on timing and marketing. However, it is virtually certain that the diesel engines in these cars will be the SAME as the current ones. [There will be new gasoline engine choices, but that's not the focus here.]

The next change to the ENGINES in the TDIs probably won't occur until model year 2007, when the availability nationwide of low-sulfur diesel fuel will allow VW [and Mercedes and perhaps Audi and BMW] to give us their latest technology in diesel. For the VWs, that should mean we will get the 16-valve heads here, finally, that are currently available in the EU. This in turn should mean lower emissions, better running, and a few more hp. Not a revolution, and depending on your needs, perhaps not worth waiting for.

In any case, the new body style for the Jetta will not signal a new engine right away for the TDI...that comes later, as the fuel problem in this country finally gets solved.
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Considering major cities already have low sulfur fuel for their public transportation, I don't think it will take a whole year for widespread availability. The rule says it has to be available in 2006, not phased in.

In other words, the stuff they are pumping now will disappear (with the exception of use in off road equipment, such as farming). Anything on or near a highway MUST be low sulfur.

I think this is why Chrysler is waiting until mid 2006 to launch the SMART brand (which features diesel engines).

I'm just hoping and praying they can meet the green states' emission rules soon :-(
    Which states are green states? You mean the CARB emissions states! TDI will have 50 states availability in 2006.
    We are talking ELSD here. (Extremely Low Sulpher Diesel)
    The LSD is allready available for all road fuels.
    The HIGH sulpher diesel is also available, but is dyed a bright pink to indicate it is ILLEGAL to use on the road. It is intended for Farm equipment and other NON road-going vehicles.

In farm communities, there are 'gas stations' that have a pump that delivers the pink stuff. The price is about $1.65 gallon because it does not have road-tax applied to the price. The TDI has a CLEAR section in the fuel line under the hood that can be used by law-enforcment to inspect for pink fuel. Dont get caught with this pink stuff in your tank!
    ...is indeed going to be "phased in" and is not required nationwide until very near the end of calendar year '06. Of course, it will be available [already is in lots of places] sooner, perhaps even in MOST of the country sometime before then...BUT...both VW and MB have stated they want it guaranteed nationwide before they switch to the latest EU diesel technology for this market. I still maintain that means nothing new for our TDIs until late 2006, when the '07 models will be appearing. Would love to be wrong...

And there is still an awful lot of crud out there being sold as diesel - low cetane, high sulfur, and barely useable in modern auto diesels. Just go to the TDI Club website and read some of the laments - if low-sulfur, high-cetane fuel were easy to find, there would be a lot of currently unhappy Pumpe-Duse owners who could relax and start enjoying their cars. This is a real issue with the '04 PD engines.
    Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is the complete name of the 15 ppm or less diesel fuel to be mandated in 2006.

Quote EPA - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rules will require that new diesel engines meet lower emission levels beginning in 2007 and will require ultra-low sulfur fuels for all on-road engines beginning in 2006. -end
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Low sulfer thing is going to be another reason for them to jack up the price. Now, in PA, diesel is going around $1.679, I wonder it will be in the same price (of course + inflation)...
    ...that should go without saying. Who wants to bet on the price of fuel 2 years from now? Not me. And in any case, diesel on the West Coast is already up and over $2 a gallon in many places - still cheaper than gasoline almost everywhere.
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    How can you tell what quality diesel you are getting at the pump? I have looked around but not seen anything with a rating on the pump.
    How can you tell what quality diesel you are getting at the pump? I have looked around but not seen anything with a rating on the pump.

There's the rub:) Most states have no rating system for diesel, just that it must be at least 45 cetane (i believe). Based on my experience, good diesel is clear where most diesel is a brownish/green color or sometimes looks like mountain dew. The other way to tell is by how your car is running. Higher cetane fuel will quiet the engine down and provide more performance. I also see NO smoke running a premium diesel, even on a cold startup. I run BP/Amoco Diesel Supreme whenever possible (reported to be 50 cetane and 30ppm sulphur). It's hard to find and sometimes BP pumps say "supreme" but have regular #2. Some BP/Amocos don't even carry BP #2 (private franchises are only required to purchase XX amount of BP refined fuel). If you can actually buy BP #2, it's not bad. If I jump from typical truckstop crud to BP Supreme, the difference is extremely obvious. The car quiets down noticably before you get out of the parking lot.
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the info! I have a 04 Jetta GLS that I plan on running up to 7k and selling. I hope there is a sellers market in the states that do no allow the sales of new diesels.
  • dpldpl Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the town Hall. What kind of Synthetic oil can I put in my 04 Jetta Diesel?
    I'm new to the town Hall. What kind of Synthetic oil can I put in my 04 Jetta Diesel?

There is great debate and controversy over this, but the oils that meet the VW 505.01 are specified. The ones that currently meet this specification are the Castrol and the Motul, 5w40. (both are group III type oils) In addition, depending on how you read the owners manual and or technical manuals almost every weight can be used. I personally have standardized on the 5w40 and there are a lot of reasons in favor of this. Most have to do with extreme longevity etc .
    I also want to add that some folks have TRIED 5w30 and after several thousand miles, they noted wear on the cam surfaces. It is CRITICAL that the proper oil is used in the TDI engine. The wear-forces acting on the camshaft are FAR more severe than in the gasser. (The valves are opened-closed with different profiles on the TDI.)

This is especially true for the 2004 TDI (pump duse) that uses the camshaft to operate the fuel-pumps for each cylinder.

In any case, dont be afraid of the 10K mile oil-change intervals. Only the folks that get PAID to change oil benifet from anything less.
  • lifelover2lifelover2 Member Posts: 2
    I own an 03 Jetta TDI(manual tranny) with around 51k on it. I just got back from a road trip in the North Georgia mountains.The problem i am having is with the acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. It started happening up in Georgia. One of the things I was doing different as far as driving was driving in mostly 2nd gear on the mountain gravel roads for 5-10 miles at a time.Now when I try and accelerate from a stop there is very little acceleration until about midway through 3rd gear and then the turbo kicks in or the air flow meter starts to properly work. I talked to my mechanic buddy who spoke with a friend who works as a mechanic for Volkswagon and he said it sounded like the air flow meter is going bad and that was a pretty common problem in the Jetta TDI's. His friend gave him an extra air flow meter from a 2 liter engine and said that would add a little pick up to my car. What do you guys think about their diagnosis? Could it be any thing else? I bought the car with 43k on it. The only maintenance I have performed is change the oil and filter 2x, the fuel filter once, replaced the air filter, and cleaned out the air intake screen thing that you guys recommended. Could it be the Turbo going bad? The car works great always by 4th gear and sometimes works good in all gears, and then acts up again in 1st and 2nd with very sluggish acceleration. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Could very well be the MAF (mass airflow meter). These can be expensive if you don't shop around. I properly diagnosed mine at 60k miles as being bad, so it's certainly not uncommon by your mileage. I got mine for around $125, so don't buy one of the expensive ones at the dealership. I've heard the 2.0L MAF will work, but not as well. You can easily figure this out if you can find someone with a computer like I have. You just measure the airflow vs requested and if it's out of spec the MAF is bad. Takes about five minutes to diagnose. I've also heard folks just unhooking the MAF and see if performance increases. If it's really bad, it will do better without it.
    I'm bargining wiht two dealers about these two cars, which one is better build you guys think? I prefer wagon cause it maybe more space and good for long term. But I can get a better deal on Golf.

Any idea will be appreciated.
    If it makes any difference to you, and it does to some people, the Jetta wagon is still made in Germany for our market, whereas our Golfs come from Brazil. I'm unconvinced this is a big deal, but it is a fact.

I think the Golf, at the right price, is a remarkable value, but resale might be higher down the line with the J/Wagon. If you can swing the difference in price, I'd probably pick the wagon.
    I personally would not want the wagon, but I know the wagon is better built than the Golf. (this is not having anything to do with it being built in Germany) I also think from a "limited" edition point of view the wagon might well have higher resale down the line than the Golf (% wise) . I am a 2003 VW Jetta TDI (4door) 5 speed manual owner. Which ever you decide, all the best!
  • lifelover2lifelover2 Member Posts: 2
    Every thing is ok. I mistakenly did not put the clamp on good enough on the big air flow tube when I changed the air filter thus hindering the air flow hence.. slow acceleration. My mechanic diagnosed it immediately. Bonehead maneuver on my part!!! oh well, I am glad it was not a volkswagon problem. Thanks for your diagnosis Sebring95
    Thanks, jrct9454 & ruking1. Yes, I prefer the Germany quality, and would try to get a better deal on Jetta Wagon.
    There is absolutely no difference in quality between the Golf and the Jetta Wagon.
    The car sales person who brokered my VW Jetta TDI (non VW sales man ) himself has a VW Jetta Wagon automatic which his wife drives and is tickled to death with it! He mentioned in passing that she gets 38 mpg in her runs in the Napa Valley, CA wine growing area!