Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Go to your dealership with your bike and see if it fits... :)
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I have a co-worker who has the thule bars on his 98 Jetta TDI and still gets 50 mpg.
  • quikchikquikchik Member Posts: 1
    I wouldn't throw my mountain bike in my car, not after what it picks up on the trails! You'd be up against tiresome space restrictions and unintentional scrapes while you watch as clumps of grime and sludge soak into your upholstery. Why go there? A VW rack (I have one and it was a great investment) is a no-brainer that snaps your bike in place in seconds, saves your energy for more rewarding pursuits, and actually looks tres cool. The whole rack comes off in minutes but you will hear wind noise when it's on. We've practically flown in the passing lane with our bikes locked in with no worries. Just don't do this: a friend did make the mistake of driving his bikes into the roof of his garage by mistake - just keep your wits about you with respect to your car's sudden height requirements. =)
  • nsxsurgeonnsxsurgeon Member Posts: 1
    just got the call today from dealer that our manual tdi jetta wagon has finally arrived in the port and we should get it in 2-3 days. It had to be ordered and as the dealer said it took 10 weeks. can't wait for that great gas milage!never had a diesel before. any tips for a new owner.I was in Scotland three weeks ago and I was amazed at how many diesels there were. what is wrong with our country?
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Diesel is less costly than gasoline in Europe. Gas in some places is more than $4 per gallon, diesel is usually 20 to 30% cheaper.
    Quality of diesel is better (less sulphur). Diesel engines in European versions are stronger. The 1.9 liter TDI VW engine can be had with 110, 130 or 150 HP.
    You can fill up everywhere unlike in the US where sometimes you wont easily find a suitable location to buy diesel fuel unless you go to truck stops.

For most people it takes a long time to recoup the added expense of buying a diesel (see Dogde Cummins diesel engine, $ 5000 more than the basic gas engine offered).
    (without mentioning a certain club...)

Oil: follow the owner's manual for the oil changes. Use 5w40 oil. 5w40 is synthetic only. Most tend to use Mobil Delvac 1 (which is harder to get). Rotella T synthetic 5w40 is available at Wal-Mart for about $13 a gallon, and is still a good oil to use.

Oil Changes: YOu'll need a set of car ramps, 19mm wrench, 10mm socket, and a 72mm x14 (I think that's the size) filter wrench.

Oil Filter: Dealership, Purolator, or Mann (available online)

Fuel Filter: $50 a pop. Make sure you fill the filter with diesel fuel or an additive

Fuel Additives: VW recommends Stanadyne All-Seaon for the winter. Many of us use Power Service products.

Accelerating: Don't bother going above 4000 rpm

Fuel: Give it plenty of time for the engine to break in, then you'll see the increase.
  • steve4464steve4464 Member Posts: 4
    I'd like to get a 2003 TDI Wagon with 17" wheels and the sport suspension option. I know it's not "offered" as an option but is it possible? I'm sure I'd pay extra but I really like the wheels and would much prefer the sport suspension. Is there a mechanial reason or can I "work" with my dealer to at least get the 17" wheels put on? Thanks for any input.
    I posted a similar questionon the Wagons board.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    You may be able to work out a deal with the dealer to switch them. Your other possibility would be to pick up a used set of the 17" style of your choice (there are at least 2 styles that I know of), and use the 15" rims for snows. You might want to check eBay, or the classified forums at www.vwvortex.com. You could probably grab a set with not too many miles for $400-$500.
  • kayakrmankayakrman Member Posts: 1
    I have had my New Beetle TDI since June of 1998 and have just 33,000 miles on it. It has been losing power, so I took it in. Diagnosis: Intake manifold is full of carbon deposits, causing it to be short of air. Cost? $450 to remove and clean the intake manifold. Two questions: Has anyone else experienced this problem? Am I being taken to the cleaners on this?
    It's pretty common for the intake to get clogged up.

The instructions to do it is pretty scary

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#g

• pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Go to Fred's TDI forums and research the subject. Your problem is more common than you think and it has to do with the poor quality of diesel fuel in North America.
    The use of a good fuel additive prevents this type of problem (Stanadyne is one of the better additives).
    A neighbour of mine had to pay CAD 800 (US$ 500) to have the intake deposits removed in his 2001 Jetta TDI. Since he is using the additive the problem has never returned.
    You can also clean it (gradually) or keep it clean by running high-solvency biodiesel. ;)
  • sd8sd8 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Golf TDI. Shortly after my warranty ran out I had the same problem, my dealer told me it was because the air filter was clogged and the deposits and dirt were getting in through the filter into the intake manifold. The cost to repair around $ 750. Thank Goodness my dealer put it through as a good will. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
  • sdpdevelopersdpdeveloper Member Posts: 8
    I have a New Beetle TDI with a factory stereo/Cassette. Nothing fancy, but it does have CD changer controls. I was told that I might have the CD changer hook ups already wired in. I found the square plastic cover on the left hand side toward the bottom in the back and took it off. Looks like a plastic connector. Am I looking at a CD changer connector? Is there any other bracket to secure the CD changer. Will I just have to plug in and enjoy my music?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There should be a bracket in there to secure the changer, my Jetta has one. You can pretty much plug up the CD changer, and you're there. The changers are expensive from the dealer though, mine charges about $400 for it.

I still don't get why the New Beetles are the only ones without CD players in them standard.
    Ok. I have not been able to find a proceedure for replacing the headlight on my 2001 Beetle TDI. Anyone know how to do it? It seem to me that the headlight is secured in the back, and that if there were a way of releasing it, the headlight would just slide out the front so one can easily get to the bulb from the back. Anyone have the correct proceedure?
  • steve4464steve4464 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have the ESP option on their TDI? I'd like to get a TDI Wagon but a dealer has told me that it's not availbable on TDI's. Is this correct? Has anyone else been told this? Does anyone have a TDI Wagon or Sedan with ESP? Thanks.

Steve
  • reddevilreddevil Member Posts: 4
    The ESP option is available on both gl and gls trim levels. The TDI does not affect its availability. Wagons are very scarce. Good luck finding one.
  • dieselramdieselram Member Posts: 3
    I am another person considering purchasing a new 2003 GLS TDI for fuel economy reasons. I am kinda concerned about quality and reliablility from many of the post here.

I am not new to diesels, I own a 1997 Dodge 2500 5-speed 4X4 Cummins Turbo Diesel with over 145,000 miles on it. It is quite a machine, especially with my mods (1,000lb clutch, huge HX40 turbo @ 40lbs boost, 370hp injectors, fuel plates, 4" exhaust) making about 420 hp and 835 ft. lbs. torque.

I have no EGR in my truck (I just blow black smoke out the back like a freight train), and have heard that the EGR in the TDI can be disabled to prevent sludge and wear/tear on the cylnders/rings. Any of you know about this?
    Yes, I have done it, and its easy as cake if you can find somebody with a VAG-COM (VW Diagnostic tool) and a laptop computer. All that is needed is a small change in settings and you are off!
    Or you can run biodiesel. ;)
    and get dieselgeek's "race" pipe.

http://www.dieselgeek.com

I do not have an owner's manual, but plan to buy one. None-the-less, could someone please tell me where the cabin filter is in my 2001 NB TDI? How do I access it, and how often do I change it?
    it should be at the base of the windshield. Remove the 4 screws and the plastic cover...and there it is
  • jabildajabilda Member Posts: 47
    Hey VW TDI owners (me being one). I bought a VW TDI because of the benefits of this great little engine. I just read an internet article that Daimler-Chrysler is bringing a diesel in a SUV in 2004. The particulars - Jeep Liberty, MERCEDES Diesel, 2004. Being a Chrysler enthusiast (my 'other' vehicle is a Jeep GC with a 318 in it!!), I'm chomping at the bit to see this. The article quoted a higher price (c'mon, it's a Mercedes diesel!!) but I think it would be worth it.

Sorry for bringing a Chrysler product to a VW page (I own both, so I thought it would be ok), but am glad to see that there will be other choices for people who want to own diesels. I love my VW for what it does, but it's hard to compare as there's nothing out there for diesels other than big, huge honkin' trucks (which are fun, too - I've driven a few of them in my life!!). Anyone else out there excited as me??
  • todd53todd53 Member Posts: 47
    I have been reading about a suction device called a Topsider, which is used to suck the old engine oil out of the dipstick tube when changing the oil. Apparently, this is a fairly popular method of draining the oil (as opposed to draining it from beneath) in VW TDIs and other German cars. Does anyone know where Topsiders are available for purchase? I have checked around at local auto parts stores, but I have yet to come across one. Please advise...

'98 Jetta TDI
    I purchased the Liquivac, which is the same type of device, from www.northerntool.com. I believe the topsider is available at www.overtons.com.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    James,

looks like you would love the 550 lb-ft. VW Touareg ...

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/index_touareg_ms.html

- D

Dietmar,

I would love for VW to bring the diesel here. With their history with TDI's, I'm sure it would be great. However, I have not seen announcements that the V10 is coming to the USA. This would be typical of VW. With the USA starting to (FINALLY!) recognize the benefits of diesel engines, maybe VW will change their minds. Until the next generation of engines that keep the same power, provide better gas mileage, and are more environmentally friendly, my dream world is one where there are more diesel choices. Chrysler trying it is a step in the right direction. IN Europe, Jeep and other American brand car companies have diesel vehicles (Jeep Cherokee for one). It needs to happen here. We would have longer lasting engines and better cars. (Should I rant any more??) Thanks for the post. I've been watching for news on this SUV.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It has more to do with the type of diesel fuel we have here in the US. The TDIs in Europe run on a different type of refined diesel fuel, not the crap we have here. Truckers are not willing to pay the higher price for fuel in the US, they keep lobbying to keep the prices low like they are now. VW engines from Europe can't run on our diesel fuel.

By 2006 (I think), the US has to meet diesel fuel standards, so then the TDIs from Europe might make their way here. We surely hope so!
  • vdubtdivdubtdi Member Posts: 1
    my check engine light on my 2000 NB TDI came on for the 1st time today. i read the owners manual and it doesnt say much (as usual)The engine is running fine and im not sure what the problem is. if anyone has any idea as to what made it come on i would greatly appreciate some insight.
    It could be the gas cap not tightly sealed. Other than that, you will probably need to go to a dealer, or somebody with a VAG-COM (VW Scan tool) to find out what is wrong.
    Agreed. Somewhere, back there in the oil plants, I think it would be cost effective to do this after a large scale use of diesel was needed. Of course, this being America and a place for opportunists to take advantage of an opportunity, I'm sure the cry will be that it is too costly to make diesel, so you'll have to pay. From my 'Hyde-like' part of my character (That '70's Show), I'm sure this is some plot between the car manufacturers and the oil companies to cash in (when it does finally come). We'll see.

In any event, I can't wait for diesels to become main stream so there are more choices.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    The poor quality (high sulfur content) of the US Diesel is indeed the culprit, preventing introduction of most modern common rail or Pumpe-Duese engines, unless you switch to bio-diesel...

I am not sure about the V10 TDI, though. The last two sentences in the vwvortex article state:

"Volkswagen of America is working to offer the V10 TDI model for the 2004 model year along with a 450hp W12 as well. We'll have more U.S. model specific information 1st quarter of 2003."

- D
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I just had my 10K service on a 2002 Jetta TDI. As always, I checked the oil level when I got home (20 miles from the shop). The oil was as black and filthy as when I brought it in! This is my first diesel, and I know the oil gets sooty. However, I expected it to look cleaner since it was just changed. I am fairly sure that they changed it, but am wondering if the old oil was not completely drained out and has contaminated the new oil. I appreciate any thoughts about how the oil should look. I last had it changed at 5500 and recall it appeared clean for a few fill ups.
    I changed my oil myself at the 10k mark, and it looked dirty after running the car once around the block, so I wouldn't worry.
  • barsaecbarsaec Member Posts: 2
    The oil will be very different from gas engine. I recommend, as does everyone else, using Mobil Delvac1 oil for heavy duty diesels. Its a little difficult to find, but can be mail ordered via yahoo.com shopping.

I've had my '02 TDI for 7months and turned 23K miles on it today. It has not been to the dealer, and I drive it faster than normal(cruise set at 85mph) and I'm getting around 45mpg. The wife gets 50+mpg when she drives. Its a great car, a bit small in the back, compared to the previous generation.
    vdubtdi: probably won't be a gas cap (since there's a vent hole anyway). Get the code read from the ECU. It could be many things that caused it. Also drive it around for a few more days, the MIL may disappear if the same fault does trigger it again.

mrjette: Don't worry about the instant black oil. It's basically fine soot particles. As long as you use a good quality oi, you'll be fine.
  • shelleysawshelleysaw Member Posts: 5
    I've never had a diesel car but friends who have had VWs and an e-class mercedes have been encouraging in their support of diesel cars. I only drive about 12K miles a year, mostly just myself in the car and I mostly use the car for hauling stuff regarding household stuff. I've had two hondas, two subarus, a nissan altima (loved it!) and forgot what else; would you recommend the Jetta TDI? any comments/advice appreciated.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Depends on what your goals are.

Money? Reliability? Fun to drive?
    At 12K miles per year, it would be hard to reach a financial point where the diesel vehicle is paying for itself. You'll be lucky to save $200 a year in fuel with the TDI over a 1.8T. The 1.8T will have a lot more power. You won't save a dime on fuel compared to a Corolla and the Jetta will cost you several thousand more up front. Corolla is boring to drive, Jetta is darn nice for a small car. Reliability wise, I've mainly seen small problems with the Jettas. Lots of complaints about little things but for the most part they seem to run fine. But no doubt, there are less troublesome/problematic vehicles out there that are probably cheaper to drive/maintain.

When you drive a ton of miles and want maximum fuel mileage from a decent vehicle, it's hard to beat a TDI. I'm driving my TDI Jetta about 2500 miles per month. There isn't anything out there that has the combination of fuel mileage, power, handling, and "feel" as a Jetta TDI. But, pull out the fuel mileage requirement and you've got a lot more options to pick from.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    IS it standard to get 45-50 mpg with the TDI or is that only with a standard?

My automatic is great but I get 34-37 in town and only once on a trip got 46 mpg. Normally the road trips average less.

I only have about 5100 miles on 2002 jetta so maybe the best is yet to come?

We really enjoy this car but as always, I am looking at the mpg. My experience with previous toyota and nissan is that they cant match the savings. Family members with Subaru products are pleased with their cars but dont come close to the mpg of the diesel. Diesel prices are only slightly higher than gas prices and my savings per week is about $10.00.

I am hoping that I will see more mpg in the 40's....
    I've heard the mpg increases as the engine breaks in. I bought my '00 tdi automatic used and the previous owner had complete logs. His mpg ranged all over the place worst being around 35 and best 48. I'm averaging 44mpg driving semi-aggresively on a mix of mainly two-lane hilly/twisty roads, some highway, and even less city. I would think I can do better out on the highway, but that's just not where I'm driving right now. From what I've seen 38-40mpg is pretty much average for an automatic around town. Also keep in mind it's hard to compare tank to tank how much fuel you're putting in. Depending upon the pump your using and how many times you vent the tank (if you're venting) I can get between .5 and 1.5 extra gallons in the tank after it initially clicks off. This variance alone can effect your calculation by 2-3mpg.

Buying good diesel in my area is about a $.30 premium over regular gasoline. Sometimes even more, walmart and kmart were in a war this weekend and prices were down to $1.05 on regular gas. Diesel stayed right at $1.50. Of course if gas jumps back up to $2.00 like a couple years ago diesel will likely not move much either. It's a gamble I guess, but diesel is more stable price wise. Diesel quality varies greatly and even the best is pretty crappy IMHO. I can tell a difference between running the $1.30 truck stop diesel to the BP/Amoco $1.50 stuff. Better mpg, better performance, quieter running, etc. Still runs fine on the cheap stuff, but there's a slight difference.
  • maggs1maggs1 Member Posts: 5
    While driving my 99 NB TDI, the engine loses complete power sometimes only for 1/2 a second but sometimes it's a complete stall and I have to pull over to the side of the road and restart. But sometimes it takes several attempts to get it restarted. It tries to start but will not turn over. Then on the third or fourth try, it will start perfectly. Strangely enough, it does not do this a again while on the same trip. I was told by my diesel fuel dealer, that he uses any necessary additives to make his diesel the best. I buy from a private diesel dealer who sells lots of fuel. It's at the shop today, but I am very worried that they will not know what it is and it will cost me a small fortune, once again. I have put several thousand dollars into this car, please help.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    Appreciate your post.
    I own a 2001 Beetle TDI. I ordered a Mann Oil Filter. When I opened the box, I found a filter element in it. Am I missing something? Was I supposed to get a filter housing with it, or will my car have a filter that will accept the Mann filter element? Not quite sure what to do.
    Assuming the Beetle is the same as the Jetta TDI, then you are all set. The oil filter is just a drop in cartridge. You will need a 76mm oil filter socket to get the cover to the filter housing off. IMO this is a much better setup then the regular kind.
    Thanks, did the change today, and it was a snap for the mechanic to get to it and change it out. The filter housing is right under the plastic covering. Two bolts, and the plastic covering comes right off. The filter housing is right on top. Did not have to use a wrench. Twisted right off. Had to remind the mechanic that there were two O rings to replace, but the swap was a snap-a little messy, but a snap. Boy, I might just do the oil change myself because it was so easy.
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    Volkswagen has put a "restriction" on the sale of new Golf, Jetta's and Beetles with TDI. Is this only in California, where the quality of diesel fuel is a problem? Or, is this a national situation due to production limitations for the diesel engines?
    It's technically only california because of emissions or something. I've heard of people having trouble getting tdi's right now just due to a lack of production. I don't know if they purposely only send so many or what, but typically dealers try to charge more over invoice for the TDI than the gas model. Some don't but there seems to be plenty that try to get sticker. From what I understand, they bring premiums in CA because of the sales restrictions. Check out tdiclub.com as there is a guy on there from somewhere out west that specializes in finding very nice used TDI's. He's always posting on the for-sale forum and just recently had a great deal on an '02 Jetta with next to no miles on it. With the flooded used car market, I'd be pretty hard pressed to buy a new vehicle even with the gimmicks the manufacturers have going. I just recently bought a used Jetta TDI and had it shipped 1200 miles and still saved a load of cash.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    We are getting the Passat with a TDI engine as a 2004 model with production starting in week 45/03.

Good news for TDI fans. Time to upgrade those 96 and 97 TDI Passat.