Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    lottlott Member Posts: 2
    I know this question was asked last year some time but does anybody know if the 2006 US Hatch will come with an option next year to buy it w/o the rear spoiler?? I think I'm in a minority but I prefer the look of the sedan but I need the functionality of the hatch.

Thanks
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I don't have any info on it but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Stop in and meet and greet some of your fellow Mazda enthusiasts at our weekly chat session. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET
    PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I moved your post to the pricing discussion for the Mazda6 - Mazda6: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences where it can be better answered.

Thanks and good luck!
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I've moved these over to the Mazda6 Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion where others can assist you.

Also - don't forget the Mazda Chat on Tuesday nights. The banner is at the top of the page near the discussion title.
  • Options
    akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    I'm on the fence on whether to spring for a 2004 6i 5-door (Volcanic Red). A dealership nearby has one loaded (Bose, Moonroof, Security Package, Leather) for just over $25K. After negotiation, I'm guessing $18-20K would be a good range.

HOWEVER, the car has a stickshift- which I've always wanted to drive, but only have decent experience with (haven't done it in 2 years). But with the rebates ending today (and so tempting), and moving cross-country in a few weeks, I'm wondering whether to spring for it and then drive 1700 miles.

If I knew the rebates would stay the same- or get better- next month, and I had another couple of days to think, I'd feel better considering it. After all, I've been wanting a 6 for the past 3 years- and the Volcanic Red (I believe)was on the Tokyo Auto Show Atenza I saw back in 2002 that began my love for this car- and this one has everything I would want.

So should I do it today, or will the rebates continue?
  • Options
    My guess is that the rebates will be the same or get better on the 2005 models, but stay the same on the 2004 models. The Mazda6 isn't moving as fast as the Mazda3. We'll see how good my prediction is tomorrow. :surprise:
  • Options
    wannabezoomerwannabezoomer Member Posts: 3
    I have test driven the Mazda 6 s Hatchback, and it fits all my needs. But a dealer who responded to my inquiry on his inventory, said they shyed away from carrying the hatchback model due to leakage problems with the around the hatchback seal. This has really burst my bubble.

Is this a problem many of you have experienced, or has he just got a few lemons?
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    a dealer ... said they shyed away from carrying the hatchback model due to leakage problems ...around the hatchback seal.

Curious comment; I wonder if he was low on hatchbacks and trying to push what he had in his inventory.

You may want to try some searching of the forums; you're the first one to post anything about leaks.

It appears that Consumer Reports does not mention this as a specific problem in its annual Auto issue. CR does not recommend the Mazda6 unfortunately.
  • Options
    denali856denali856 Member Posts: 118
    I haven't heard anything about leaks in the hatches, and I have a co-worker who has a 6s hatch and she's never mentioned it, FWIW....
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I smell a rat at your local dealer. We have not had any hatchback leakage problems...sounds like he is trying to get you to switch cars based on what he has to sell.
  • Options
    denali856denali856 Member Posts: 118
    I hate to be cynical and ascribe ulterior motives to people for which I don't have direct evidence.

Especially car dealers--we all KNOW what a saintly bunch they are. :)

But I was thinking the same thing.

Seriously, though, if there were a broad problem with hatches leaking, there would have been a recall or a TSB, or at the very minimum a considerable amount of chatter about it in places like this, right?
  • Options
    "sounds like he is trying to get you to switch cars based on what he has to sell"

Obviously. :)
  • Options
    fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I also agree- that dealer was trying to move inventory. Nothing wrong with that- the wrong part is to fabricate a story about non-existing problems (also known as lying). My 6S hatch is tight as a drum- no leaks, no rattles, and opens/closes with a very light effort. Never seen a post here or on any other Mazda boards regarding leaking hatchbacks. I wouldn't give my business to a dealer like that. :(
  • Options
    mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I'm looking to buy new all-weather floor mats before next winter, and I'm shying away from the OEM, mostly due to the price. Can anyone out there recommend a quality set of floormats that will trap the winter muck without any problems. I'd love to get mats contoured only for the 6, but I'm willing to look into any "unviersal-fit" mats that are recommended.

Any input would be greatly appreciated... :)
  • Options
    fitguy - have you noticed the gas tank "sloshing" noise?
  • Options
    Not at all; haven't had the sulpher smell that others complain of, either. My 6 seems really well put-together, must have been a "Wednesday" built car!
  • Options
    Hmmm, I have to wonder why some "slosh" and some don't. Have they changed the gas tank in later builds?
  • Options
    A fine day- FINALLY broke 24 mpg mixed driving (24.3 to be exact). Hopefully the gas formulations are changing to summer-blend up north here; I'm a-gunnin' for that supposed EPA 26 (without driving like a old lady!) :)
  • Options
    lefthandmanlefthandman Member Posts: 47
    I negotiated with the dealer before final purchase of my 6 5-door for all-weather floor mats, cargo tray and cargo net. I've found the Mazda all-weather floor mats work really well. My experience with after-market floor mats on my previous VW and Honda wasn't great - poor fit, materials, etc. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with after-market mats if you don't want to pony up for Mazda's. Good luck!
  • Options
    It's definitely possible to hit the 26 mpg mark w/o driving like Granny. I do it routinely (driving 65 mph-plus on the highway) - V6, 5-speed manual. Not sure why I'm getting better mileage than others have reported here. Anyway, congrats on breaking 24mpg fitguy. Zoom, zoom! :shades:
  • Options
    lefthandman-
    I'm curious- are you running 87 octane or someting better? Also, how many miles on your 6? Thanks!
  • Options
    Fitguy:
    I'm using 87 octane almost exclusively (think I filled up once with 91). If I remember correctly, the odometer is currently around 5300 miles. How many miles on your 6? Also using 87 octane fuel? Cheers,
    Lefthandman
  • Options
    lefthandman-
    Also have only used 87, runs fine no detonation. As a non-turbo V6 w/VVT I doubt it would perform much better w/higher octane, gas mileage I'm not too sure. I had a Passat 1.8T awhile back and it would not run right on less than 89, I guess the turbo just needs the extra juice. My 6 has 7200 mi, still trouble free and tight. If it beats my '03 Accord (32K and 0 problems) it will be a long-term family keeper. :)
  • Options
    I've only used 87 octane in my 6, and I've never had any problems with detonation as well. After 10,800 miles, I've also had no problems or issues. The last trip to the dealer was for my free oil change! :)

Both the I4 and V6 are tuned to run on 87, it says so in the manual. With gas prices today, I'd much rather save the 30 cents per gallon extra! I've got better things to spend my money on than the greedy oil giants!
  • Options
    Hey- how come you got free oil changes??? :cry:
  • Options
    Hey now, don't overreact! :) As a reward for choosing that certain dealer to buy my car, my first oil change was free, and after that, every fourth oil change is free after that! It costs $29.95, a little steep I know, but they also check and refill all my fluids, inspect about 25 different things, and they wash my GreyGhost when they're done.

Sure beats the "quickie-lube" places, and doing it myself isn't impossible, but too time-consuming...
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I got free maintenance for a year (basically oil changes and tire rotation). I think more dealers are doing this now. I even got a year's free oil changes on the used Toyota I just bought (same dealership, next door to Mazda).
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Interesting...the Mazda dealership I purchased from is immediately adjacent to a Toyota dealership, both are co-owned by the same family, and both are good, solid dealerships (no hype, high pressure sales, double-talk, etc). You don't by chance live in northern Colorado, do you Suydam?
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Nope, Columbus, Ohio. They do seem like a good pairing, come to think of it! Better than Ford/Mazda, really. We love our Mazda but have sworn never to buy another Ford since our unlamented Ford Fiesta expired many years ago. Probably unfair but that's how buyers are. And I'm sure Ford buyers probably as a group tend not to be that interested in Mazdas.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Not so, sudyam- my Expy is my 11th Ford, sits next to the 6 in the driveway. I usually own 1 mid-size (preferably Japanese) car and one SUV or mini-van (American). Although, I am tiring of Ford's higher cost of ownership due to repairs. They may lose me next time around........... :surprise:
  • Options
    Where are ya out there- we have the coolest M6's of them all- sporty look, loads of storage, etc, etc. What's the largest item anyone has put into a hatchback? (I'm going to try a mountian bike in mine this weekend). :shades:
  • Options
    To-date I've had all 4 of my original equipment 17-inch alloy rims and wheels in the car at the same time, along with two 14-inch VW rims with snow tires (on my way to the tire store to rotate out my M6's 16-inch alloys & snow tires. Try that in a M6 sedan! :D
  • Options
    "To-date I've had all 4 of my original equipment 17-inch alloy rims and wheels in the car at the same time, along with two 14-inch VW rims with snow tires (on my way to the tire store to rotate out my M6's 16-inch alloys & snow tires. Try that in a M6 sedan!"

I have! I can fit 4 17" alloys with tires without a problem, and I have the sedan! :P

Granted, I have to put the back seat down, but they fit. I even have more room between the front seats and rear bulkhead to fit two more if needed.

I'm not trying to put down the 5-door or anything (I almost bought one!), but I will not allow the Sedan to be mocked! :)
  • Options
    ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    Right on! At least we don't have the hatch rattles that so many people are reporting. :D
  • Options
    Headroom in the back seat is less than in the sedan. According to the specs the difference is only 0.6 inches, but I have sat in them both and I believe that the difference is actually greater then that. Maybe it's the way they measure it, but I can guarantee you that the difference is more than 0.6 inches. I'm inly 5'6", and in the 5-door I only had about an inch between the top of my head and the roof. In the sedan it was easily 2, maybe even 3 inches. So, if you ever plan to have anyone in the back seat who is taller than average I'd think about this.
  • Options
    "At least we don't have the hatch rattles that so many people are reporting"

If my hatch starts to rattle, I'm gonna just rip it off and put on clear plastic with duct tape trim (for that custom look!) :D:);)
  • Options
    Guess I got a 5-door built on a Wed of a short work-week, but my hatch has never rattled. I probably should have used more 'tact' when I wrote earlier, "Try that in a M6 sedan." But the fact remains the M6 hatchback is superior to the sedan in terms of interior trunk volume, carrying capacity, and the ability to get large bulky items in and out of the vehicle. It's really the main reason I chose a 5-door over the sedan.
  • Options
    "But the fact remains the M6 hatchback is superior to the sedan in terms of interior trunk volume, carrying capacity, and the ability to get large bulky items in and out of the vehicle. It's really the main reason I chose a 5-door over the sedan."

I will give you that much. I liked the 5-door as well, and was planning on getting one, but it was a month after dealers got them, and they weren't willing to budge much under sticker for the 5-door, but more than willing to deal on the sedan. I saved close to $4K by getting the sedan with the same options! If I REALLY wanted the 5-door, I would have waited, plus I have a neighbor that has an F-150 and owes me a few favors. :)

We trade cars when I need the truck, and he never stops singing praises about the 6 when he gives it back. I think I convinced him to buy the wagon for his wife, so now I can haul stuff and haul [non-permissible content removed] at the same time! :shades:
  • Options
    grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    I fit a dresser in there that was about 60'' x 20'' by 35''....we almost didn't even try, because no one thought it would fit. I still had room on top of it to pile plenty of other stuff.

quite impressive!!
  • Options
    You da man! It's like having a wagon, but without the ho-hum stigma! :)
  • Options
    david30david30 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I was just wondering what you guys think is the lowest price i can get for a new 05 mazda6 5 door. The only options I want is the auto transmition and the moonroof/stereo combo. Thank you.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi david30, welcome!

Be sure to check out the Mazda6: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. You might find just what you need there, but if not it's a great place to ask. You'll need to mention where you live as that will factor in.

Good luck and stay tuned in here.
  • Options
    azorglubazorglub Member Posts: 43
    I'm going to go check out a 2004 hatchback 6i tonight. I understand that this was the first year of the H/B. Should I be worried about anything in particular? Also, does the warranty transfer to the second owner? 4 yr/50k miles, correct?

I've also read that the 4 cyl is not that great of an engine, but does the 5 spd stick make up for it? Finally, can you easily store a bike in the back when the seats are down?

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    I understand that this was the first year of the H/B. Should I be worried about anything in particular?

There are a FEW owners out there that complain about excessive rattling from their hatch, especially during the winter months. Definitely in the minority though, the majority of them are as solid as the sedans.

Also, does the warranty transfer to the second owner? 4 yr/50k miles, correct?

Yup, 4 yr/50K, warranty transfers without a problem.

I've also read that the 4 cyl is not that great of an engine, but does the 5 spd stick make up for it?

I personally have the V6/MTX, so I wouldn't know firsthand. I've driven a friends 4-cyl/ATX, and it's tolerable at best in terms of power, but again, I'm biased! :D

I've heard that the MTX helps to get much more power and control out of the 4-cyl. If you're power hungry, then stick with the MTX. IMHO, it's simply more fun driving a stick anyway. Isn't that the point, to have a little fun?
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I live in Norcal, so winter is pretty mild, more like wet spring season in the rest of the country.

So I test drove the car last night. The pick up with the 5 spd stick is not too bad. It's not a sport car, but it's decent. I can definitely get the car to illegal speed in less time than it will take a CHP officer to write me a ticket. :) So, knowing my lead foot, I'm probably better off with the 4 banger. With the hatch, that trunk is huge and should have no problem holding my bike (another requirement of mine). And last but not least, the handling is awesome! Reminds me of an European car: stiff but not harsh, just about perfect! I just have to convince my household boss today and it should be mine. I also enjoyed the seat with the nice lumbar support.
  • Options
    lottlott Member Posts: 2
    I happen to live SoCal and I'm starting to research myself for a new car. One of requirement is it needs to also hold my bike(road). Have you tried putting in your bike yet??

A co-worker of mine two nights ago bought a Scion Tc. I didn't know it was a hatchback. It looks like it has about the same volume as the 6 hatch for holding a bike. I don't think the Scion is as "sophisticated" as the 6 but it might be worth looking into.
  • Options
    Mountain bike fits, no problem. Seats are excellent- I have driven 300 mi in a day w/no back fatigue. 8800 miles with 0 problems. Great car overall.
  • Options
    The only downside I can see to the 5-door is the reduced headroom compared to the sedan and the wagon. And, it could be tricky to put a rear-mounted bike rack on the 5-door. Most of the bike rack companies don't list one for it.
  • Options
    Okay, got the car today. I haven't tried to put the bike in, but that trunk (with the seats down) is cavernous!! It's definitely big enough to fit a bike with the front wheel off, and maybe even with both wheels on. I plan on getting the rubber cargo tray to keep the car clean when I carry the bike in.

It's a 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, and it zoom zooms pretty well. It has all the pep I need, and it's fairly quiet. My only gripe is that somehow it's a bit hard to change into 5th gear, which is odd since the gearbox is buttery smooth in all other gears. Otherwise I really enjoy the handling which is a real joy in the turns. :) Too bad, my car does not have ABS, but it does have 4 disc brakes and 215/50/17 tires. :D

During my research for cars that could hold my bikes I had narrowed it down to the following: Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3 H/B, Honda Element and the 6. I found a good deal on a private party sale and it can hold my family of 4 and some luggage when we don't want to drive the Tahoe. So, I figured it'd be the best compromise car that does have a decent mileage for commuting, is nice and big enough to carry the family and can hold the bike when I go riding.