Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Owners: Trim Level Comparison

the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
edited March 2014 in Mazda
What's this thread about???

woohoo first post!

Comments

• duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    hmm...i had no idea this even existed! i'd say "woo hoo, second post!" but nobody ever remembers second place...so, instead, i'll just sigh with disappointment...*sigh* =D
    'duh'
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    since only hosts can create owner's club threads, KarenS, what kind of info are you looking for in this thread?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Boy you're fast. You beat me to the introduction.

Here is the new place to discuss all the different Mazda Protege vehicles: MP3, Protege5, and others.

Trying to decide which Mazda Protege model to purchase? Or want to compare features with other Protege owners, post your messages here. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Since there's going to be a Mazdaspeed3 (323/Protege sedan), and a Mazdaspeed5 (MX5/Miata-derived), does that mean there won't be a suped-up P5? Or would such a beastie be coined a "Mazdaspeed3-5"? :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I'll second Revka! You ARE fast! Of course, would a Protege owner be anything less than speedy? Uhhh...maybe enthusiastic is a better term?

I didn't have time to put on the first coat of paint here yet. Since you have already found it, guess you'll have to do with it as is. :-)

Welcome all!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Does anybody have any verifiable proof that the suspension in the ES is better/different than that in the LX? Are there any true differences (besides the exterior ones and 4 disc brakes and wheels) between the 2?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    what would you take as verifiable?

The front discs are larger.
    The front sway bar is larger.
    The ES has a rear sway bar( I don't think the LX does).
    The front and rear struts/shock are different.

If you really don't believe go test drive both an make sure you take some real turns.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I mean some sort of documentation of some sort...not that I don't believe you. I've just never seen or heard anything saying that the ES has a different setup othen than the disc brakes and wheel size.

I did take a test drive in the ES before purchasing my LX, but the drive was short and I didn't get a good chance to throw it around.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    hmmm, that may be tough. I'll see what I can do.

I had a chance to drive both at a ride and drive. When pushed, they are much different. Tires play a lot in this, but body roll was less as well.
    It's visible from the rear. It may not be painted red (as on the MP3), but it's definitely there. Helps trip the trick TTL (twin-trapezoidal link)suspension back there. Definitely a "whoop!" feeling when the wheels rotate out to help take a sharp turn. Fun, fun, fun.

The DX trim level has this too.

Don't forget, the tires and wheels are different as well.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I'll back that one up - don't know if my 95 DX has a sway bar, but it definitely has the TTL in rear. I notice it kicking in (turning, and feeling like grip loss, but actually helping negotiate the sharp turn) quite often with the way I drive ;-)
    Spooked me the first couple times, but now I seek it out when the conditions are right (clean, dry road, no traffic, no spouse...). :)
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    No spouse......the most important:)

Pjd58
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    You called me?

I'm a Speedy Pro Owner...may I help you? :-)

Regards,

Pete
  • bartolomeo2bartolomeo2 Member Posts: 4
    hello,
    I don't know how it works, but could anyone tell me how fast (protege5) really is?? 0-60. I couldn't find any info about it.
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    Car and Driver has the time listed as 9.2 in the latest issue.

HTH
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Bart, sell your Toyota, purchase a 2003 PRO-5, step on the gas, your Mazda Protegé will grab the pavement, your engine will rev up thru it's torque curve, you will feel the power in your loins, a big grin will spread across your face, you will hear yourself whisper Zoom Zoom Zoom and as you point and shoot your Protegé thru the twisties, you will be very verrry glad you own a "4 door Mazda Miata"!

-lovetrain
This discussion has been closed.