Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram SRT-10

deltawhip1deltawhip1 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Dodge
this is the new Dodge Ram SRT-10 that was on display at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show earlier this month.

it's got all the right numbers: 0-60 in 5 seconds, the 1/4 mile in 12.9 secs @ 106 mph, 60-0 stopping distance of 125 ft., pulling .92g, 500 hp and 500 lbs/ft of torque with the 6 speed from its sister's (Viper) engine all for $45,000

i actually think the engine alone costs more than the whole truck, but don't quote me.

so forget about the Lightning, any mustang, any camaro/firebird, and just about any other vehicle, car or truck.

they say it'll be in production later this year, wicked good.

here's a good link i found that gives more details and delicious pictures of this bad boy:

www.commondriver.com/e03dorams0106.asp

what do you guys think?

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    $45K?

Id spend 5K more and buy a vette (Z06).
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    OK buy your ZO6. But I guess tat Viper engine will rip you a new a-hole when you go up against it. Plus the 405 hp is no match for the 500+ hp that truck is giving. But there is weight But a high 4 to mid 5 0-60 time will smoke most cars out there. But I would buy it for the fact it's a bad a truck...
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    0-60 4 seconds flat
  • rezo00rezo00 Member Posts: 103
    That truck wouldent even be near a vett in the curveys...and he added the 45,000 out of the blue...they never released that price...figure to buy a viper engine alone is 30k which means that the truck will be at least 50-70k same price as a viper, with not even the performance of a vette. Plus it will be slamed so you wont be able to carry anything home from the store with it...never understood low riders
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    "Fast and Furious", then "Fast and Obnoxious", "Fast and Enfuriating", Fast and Ferocious" ,
    "Fast and Delerious", now we have "FAST and EXPENSIVE". I love it so. $45,000 does not include the aftermarket goodies, ie Re-programmed chip, Air intake system, a Supercharger to spank all the 10 sec Bumblebee import cars, ever lower restriction exhaust..etc Ahhhh. IMHO this truck was designed for the aging Babybbomers who have heavy retirement account pensions and 401Ks ready to explode. The younger people will buy the Vette's, Beemers, and Kompressors......some will buy this killer truck. I love it so.

Later, am going to check all my piggy banks...

Regards to all killer truck lovers and some

PS I doubt GM and Ford will let this go unanswered
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Why spend 50k on a truck that can't hual when the same money will get you a car that really huals.I traded my lightning for a Roush Mustang and got much better performence and not much less truck.If you want something that looks like a truck and goes pretty fast in a straight line you'll love this truck,but .92g isn't competitive in the twisties.'03 vette will be available with twin turbo,505hp and most impressive 1.02g on the skidpad and probably 50 mph more top end.Maybe hual as much too.
    kip
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I never understood the go fast truck thing either one of the basic ideas of making a fast anything is to make it lighter and more aerodynamic, kind of hard with a 5000# brick.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Its a truck for crying out loud. If you wanna race get a car. Get a truck for what it is meant for.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    haul anything, and I think incorrectly. Yes it'll be lowered and perhaps a slightly lower load capacity, but slammed? I don't think so.
    It will but it won't - get my drift. How many people are gonna throw firewood in that thing - O. It just isn't doing what trucks are supposed to. I don't know who was the first to start making trucks race machines, but they should have been banished from the country.
  • moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    Most trucks only haul groceries in their beds anyway. How come the Lightning was the coolest thing ever built but when it is crushed suddenly the whole concept is in question. This whole attitude reminds me of Car and Driver talking about the Hennesey Venom. The twin turbo Lingenfelter Corvette was the most awesome thing on earth because it was so fast. When Hennesey's Venom spanked it furiously then all the sudden they decided that maybe no one needs a car that fast. The old double standard.
    You buy that Corvette and you will get spanked. You will also do some spanking,because when performance levels reach a certain point then it becomes driver ability,and no matter how good you are someone somewhere is better.
    I love the fact that DC is bold enough to offer up a creation like this,I would never buy one but that doesn't make it wrong.
    I'd buy one in a minute. For the same reason most who buy them will, cause they're cool, they can and most people can't.
    You're right.I had a '94 Lightning for a couple of years and never put anything in the bed.I traded it for a S/C '98 Roush mustang which really huals and carries the groceries too.
    moparmad The Lingenfelter Vette and the Vennom are both more car than most people can handle.My (wifes)Roush is more capable than most trafic conditions will accomidate.On the race track everyone's going 150 and there's no cross trafic.The SRT-10 is at least as valid as the Lightning and if you want a big ,fast comfortable car with no trunk,there aren't many choices.
    kip
    How bad I would like a quick car to dart around in traffic and kill folks off the line at will. If and when I do buy a vehicle with raw power thats fast and handles well, it will not be a truck, though. I wouldn't buy one of those trucks for half of what a Lightning or SRT costs. Well I might, so that I could turn a profit. I wouldn't keep it though. I just can't stand sport trucks. Talk about an oxymoron. A truck is my only vehicle and not once do I wish that it was slammed on the ground and raced at every light. IT IS A TRUCK.
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I read that the truck was supposed to be competitive with the lightning as far as pricing goes, which means starting below $30k. I think I read it on Pickuptruck.com
    Camaro or Mustang but I can't afford that many vehicles and I don't want to drive one every day. I don't really like sitting that low. So I drive a "Sport" Truck. And the faster the better.
  • deltawhip1deltawhip1 Member Posts: 8
    this thing ain't gonna be "slammed on the ground" as you put it. they only lowered it 1 inch! the rims make it look "slammed", so just get 18 inchers instead of the 24's it's got.

i also heard that the SRT-10 would go for about $30,000, but the website i posted said it'll go for $45,000.

but amorales is right, just throw on a supercharger plus a couple other low cost goodies and you got everything beat.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You're idling at the light in your SRT-10 when a punk pulls along side you in a beat-up Nova. He guns the motor, and you start feeling like a wuss for not racing every time somebody challenges.

The light turns green, and this one time you stomp on it, railing away in a haze of noise and smoke. Next you're getting the shake-down, pat-down, road-sides. Your truck faces the tow hook, and you're facing loss of license or worse, attorney fees, court costs, SR-22 high ri$k insurance. While this is going on, you're driving responisibly again, or your license is gone, maybe even your job. You don't need and SRT-10 for that, so what's the point?
    You got everything beat but me. I can hop a curb without doing $3 grand worth of damages. Sure it will be fast as hell, but ITS A TRUCK. I'd be scared to ride in it if it ain't slammed on the ground - how well could a big ole top heavy "truck" take a turn if its at "normal" height. Scary, just be careful and don't drive within 100 miles of me.
    you have to use some constraint. You know... Maturity, common sense. The idea is that you CAN stomp his [non-permissible content removed], not that you have to do it.
    That's a lot to pay (and risk) for something that can't be proved unless you do. If you're not trolling for Vettes, they'll be trolling for you. Trouble will find you.

Limited production vehicles like the Syclone, Typhoon, Lightning end up on the trading block because owners thought they could beat the odds. They change hands because the insurance is unaffordable, or the owner's driving privelege is revoked.

It's an expensive game with no reward. I wish I could have back the money I spent playing it.
    I jump' em then back off when I approach the speed limit. True, not as much fun that way.
    Insurance is going to be expensive even if you never get a ticket because a.) it's a fairly expensive truck, b.) it's a high performance vehicle.

Then...since it has a 150 mph top speed, it's going to come equipped with V or Z rated tires that will run $300 bucks each (in 24 inch rim size), and last about 20k miles if you're lucky.

Not to discourage...if you have the wealth, what's the difference? But while I have always liked things fast, I'm tired of pouring money down the drain, for nothing more than the satisfaction of knowing I might be faster, or taking the risk of being a broke felon if I'm willing to prove it.

Off my soap box and changing directions.

My opinion, is that GM or Ford will NOT respond with a vehicle like SRT-10. It seems in the past, when a manufacturer comes out with something truly fast, the others don't respond, perhaps are afraid of horsepower war, negative impact on CAFE, or legal action that would prevent them from introducing something radical in the future. So the unwritten rule, let DC enjoy this distinction, let a direct response pass quietly, and concentrate on your own business of mass marketing vehicles to the majority. Consider, there was no response to Lightning, Syclone, Typhoon, no response to Viper...
    T. The Lightning was a response to the SS454. Ford did a Ranger GT with the SHO DOHC YAMAHA V6 in response to Syclone but cancelled project due to poor performance. Viper has the Vette to contend with. The SSR is preferred response by GM to Lightning/Harley Davidson blown trucks. IMHO The SSR is in a class of its own. GM did a SS 6.0L truck but never released it. But these were definetly responses. When SHO Taurus came out, Chevy did a dismal Lumina Z type car with DOHC 3.4 that was limited to 125 mph. Taurus was faster. Chrysler did a Dodge Spirit with turbo 2.2 and 224HP. A Sugar Ray leonard engine in a Bart Simpson Body, still a response.....All Ford and GM have to do is slap on some turbos or Kompressors on their big boys and VOILA, a killer truck to spank the DODGE RAM SRT-10

T. Remember the 500HP Lingenfelter Twin Turbo 3/4 Ton Silverdao with a 5.7? It spanked to the tune of 0-60
    in 4.7 Secs. Featured in Truck Trend pg29 June 2000. Of course it cost an extra $30,000. Oh, the 6.0 was too weakey squeakey to survive the twin turbo set-up according to Lingenfelter.

PS Remember to race at your local drag strip to avoid being spread eagled and billy clubbed for street racing.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    You don't buy a muscle truck to take twisties. That's what HP sports cars are for. 0-60 in a full size truck? Don't you think thats a little fast for a truck?? You are comparing them to Vettes! Not a good match up. I saw a SS Camaro and a Lightning go at it one night, funny the Camaro lost! True the Z06 Claims 405 RWHP, but what does it really make?? Probably 385 or something. If I wanted to take twisties in a car, then I would get an Acura Integra type-R. Or better yet something that handels better then a Vette a Miata with the 302 conversion in it. Or I can just fly by your Z06 on my 1100!!.
    According to PICKUP, VAN AND FOUR WHEEL DRIVE 1992 by Motor Trend the SYCLONE Muscle truck twisted better G's than the Vett, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche etc. The Typhoon handled better in the snow too due to AWD....

I know, i know, trucks were made to haul hay and manure but all that changed when Johnny Revolta and Urban COWBOY came out. Then everybody started buying Trucks. Not me, I ve owned trucks since 1961.

Regards to all truck loving people and those that like cars too
    Remember "SISSIES DRIVE CARS" (Bumper sticker i saw in the early '80s in San Francisco)
    Sorry Buddy,I'm not buying it.A 4000lb 6ft tall truck handling better than a $150k world class sports car?Why are they still selling Ferraris?Why are they NOT still selling Syclones?I suppose it's possible...no,wait,I don't either.PLEASE don't prove this to me. My heart couldn't take it.
    kip
    P.S.please don't be offended by my statements.There are just some things that can't fit into my reality.
    i hear your reluctance to accept the truck vs car scenario. Truck Trend did a comparo test of some exotics vs the 1992 $30,000 Syclone with a 500 lb laod capacity. A few bought them. Motor Trend quoted the following "TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURBO". It was not really a pick-up per se. The chassis was unique with AWD system and a body of the S10.

Regards,

Andy

PS Am more akin to the idea of Truck VS truck. Have been spanked by many a small rice burner import, i err mean i have owned them also. But to take a truck and make it nimble is a great feat.
    >Ford did a Ranger GT with the SHO DOHC YAMAHA V6 in response to Syclone but cancelled project due to poor performance.<

A wise decision, because Syclone and Typhoon died even without competition. Viper may have been a response to Vette, but I think its reality has more to do with reviving the mystique of the Ford Cobra. And Corvette has never really responded back to Viper in a meaningful way. Corvette just goes on being Corvette. The SSR isn't here yet. Rumor has it, it won't be getting the 6.0L anyway, just the 5.3L. I don't see it as a response to the Harley Ford either, so I agree with you, a class of its own, but more in the class of other retro trends like T-Bird, VW bug, PT Cruiser.

But the point is not that manufacturers won't respond to trends, because they will. The point is, they won't respond to a true Lightning rod (pun intended) like SRT-10. Cosmetically they might. 500 hp? No way. Good luck DC! (But I'm still not going to be your customer, even if you put in 1000 hp.)
    with the truck vs.truck idea ,but if it can't tow or hual what mine can then it's not a fair comparison.
    kip
    BTW think if I put a blower on my 8.1 it might give the SRT a run for it's money?(straight line of coarse)
    >BTW think if I put a blower on my 8.1 it might give the SRT a run for it's money?<

No. Factory horsepower has been, and always will give the best bang for the buck. A supercharger could knock a full second off your 0-60 time. That would be a huge improvement in seat of the pants feel, but would not even put you in the same zip code as the SRT-10, if its claimed 0-60 time of 5 seconds is to be believed.
    Whipple advertises 468hp for the 8.1 and the 4X T/case and allison trans are power hogs.
    amorales-darn you .Now I gotta have a Syclone too.
    kip
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    I'm sure this truck will be a hit in Texas, where everybody has a truck, whether they need one or not. Now the only thing Dodge needs to do is make it bigger to match all those little, fat guys' inflated egos...
    Why can't we have something just for the FUN of it?Do you go hunting and 4 wheeling cuz it's manly or do you LIKE IT?
    kip
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    1057 of 1061 Strike Three by kg11 Jan 25, 2002 (05:38 pm)
    My 2500HD has had the trans (allison) replaced twice for shifting problems (as posted #1041 and 1042)Now after 6 mo and 10k mi it's doing it again.I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
    kip

Is this the kind of fun I'm missing out on?
    what do you tow your cabin cruiser with?THAT"S the fun you're missing,and the point.
    kip
    The taco is the best motorized wheelbarrow money can buy.It gets my portable welder places no full sized can go,but I don't race it or hual my family in it.
    My Sierra is OK ,or so the dealer says.The service dept. foreman went for a 10 mi test drive with me and couldn't reproduce the problem.He says the trans has an "adaptive program" that learns driving conditions and changes shiftpoints acordingly.I'm skeptical but I was driving in about a foot of fresh snow when I had the problem.I drove back to the hills and tried to make it happen again but couldn't.The first two transmissions NEVER stopped malfuntcioning.The dealer said they sent the trannys to allison for research.Now they just replace solinoids in them.The new ones dont have the problem.I'm still a lot more confident that it'll get my boat to the coast than my Taco.
    kip
    From the U oughta know dept.

Dodge spent YEARS with Allison developing the 1000 to handle the torque of the Cummins diesel. And then...G.M. jumped in, and purchased Allison lock, stock and barrel, effectively snatching away the 1000 for use on the Duramax (and 8.1L). It may not be perfect, but it's the best heavy duty automatic for pickups out there.

Which has me wondering, what Dodge is going to be putting behind the 500 Hp V10, and the H.O. Cummins. It's going to be tested, that's for sure.
    what I'm wondering about is why is dodge still using Cummins when ford now owns cummins?At work we have an Isuzu 2 ton with the allison 1000 but it don't have the same electronics.It's 4 years old and has over 13k on it,with no problems.That was a big part of why I bought the 2500HD
    kip
    >what I'm wondering about is why is dodge still using Cummins when ford now owns cummins?<

Kip, I don't think so. Sure?
    Cummins not owned by Ford.

>Cummins Inc., formerly known as Cummins Engine Company, Inc., is a worldwide designer and manufacturer of diesel engines, ranging from 55 to 3,500 horsepower and a producer of commercial diesel engines above 50 horsepower. The Company also produces natural gas engines and engine components and subsystems. Cummins provides power and components for a wide variety of equipment in its key businesses, engine, power generation and filtration.<

61% of stock is held by institutional investors including:
    Morgan Stanley
    Capital Research
    Barclays
    Janus
    Pimco Advisors
    others...

Ford not on list, so can't have a controlling interest.
    Can you give me a deal on a twin turbo setup for my '00 C2500 3/4 ton white Reg cab booty spanker? It already has 3:73 gears, HD tranny, radiator coolers, tow hitch with broken propeller, Flowmaster, K & N, etc. I want my Vortec 5.7 to spank the SRT-10!! Oh! wait a minute,
    the LT265-75R16C KUMHOS are not speed rated- Forget it! SHUCKS!! My limiter will shut me down at 100 mph anyway.

Oh well, my lil ole pick-up with its 8750 GVW rating can still tow a small cement mixer and haul drywall...
    A co-worker ,and Dodge owner,was the sorce of my misinformation.He said ford bought Cummins and Dodge was going with Detroit.Ford wouldn't be making new model PSDs and Dodge wouldn't still have access to Cummins if that were true.You must be right.
    kip
  • canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    I love a vehicle that does what NO ONE expects it to do. The fact that not everyone [obviously] is able to appreciate the idea of a super-fast PICK UP TRUCK makes the SRT-10 even MORE appealing. [to ME] Trying to apply LOGIC to something like the SRT-10 is - well - silly. [to put it mildly] Is a Corvette 'logical'?? Not likely. How about the BMW M5?? Is THAT 'logical'? Does anyone NEED a 4-door car with nearly 400 h.p.?? NO - they DON'T. But I - for one - really don't want to live in a world where only 'logic' applies. Wouldn't it be boring if the only cars and trucks available made 'sense'?? I'd love to own a 500 h.p. Dodge RAM. Before I heard of the SRT-10 - the 2003 Ram with the new Hemi V8 was on my 'dream list'. [and still is - just in case the SRT-10 is too expensive]

Craig!! :o)
    TRUCKIN magazine, a one page article featuring data and photos of this mean and very wicked
    looking FORD/GM truck spanker. 500 SHETLAND ponies should just about do it.
    built (had built) a similar vehicle but with a Factory crate Hemi. Saw it on Hot Rod Mag. TV over the weekend. There will be updates on TV and in Magazine.
  • 2002svtf1502002svtf150 Member Posts: 30
    Will the SRT-10 be built? Will it get the full Viper package? All Aluminum V-10? 500 HP? 500 Ft/Lbs? 6 Speed transmission? Those UGLY 24" wheels on the show version? We'll see. If it truly gets the good powertrain I'll guesstimate $45K+.
    Supposed to be out this Fall. I don't remember but it doesn't seem like the price was that much. But I don't know how it could not be. Maybe I'm confusing it with the Chevy SSR price.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    How will Dodge price it against he Ford Lightning? I'm sure they'd like to take 100% of the super-truck market away! If they keep it under $40k, it'll happen...
  • canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    The SRT-10, 2002svtf150, will get the Viper engine [all 500 h.p. and all 500 ft/lbs of torque] and brakes but NOT the Viper 6-speed transmission. [it has to be a heavier-duty transmission because of the weight the the SRT-10] It ALSO won't get the wheels that the 'show version' of the SRT-10 had. [although - from what I hear - they will STILL be 24 inchers]

I hope it sells for LESS than $45,000 U.S. Any more than that and I'll have to go back to dreaming about the hemi-magnum powered version of the Ram. [which doesn't sound so bad - come to think of it!!]

I also hope that red and black aren't the ONLY colours available. Even a dark metallic charcoal colour would be better than black.

Craig!! :o)
This discussion has been closed.