Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• kholzmankholzman Member Posts: 7
    No, we're looking at an orange EX 2wd/5spd locally. It's pretty much what we want (we're planning on adding fog lights and maybe a few other extras). Living in the desert, the extra weight and cost of 4wd didn't make sense to us, and the DX model is too stripped out for even my minimalist tastes! A/C is an absolute necessity here, and I like the idea of the stereo with an input for my iPod.

So we're really just waiting until we're comfortable with the idea of spending the money on a third car ... probably in June or so ... though if we have to take our Great Dane back to the vet in my wife's New Beetle, it just might be sooner!

Does anyone have comments on how easy it is to completely remove one of the back seats? I think I'll want to keep one all the way out and have the other laying flat (should make a good dog bed).

Thanks! (and BTW, it's nice to see a message board w/o a lot of flames or silly arguments)
  • minime5minime5 Member Posts: 41
    I'm also looking into a 5sp/2wd/EX for a third car. Only my other choice for the role is the opposite end of the spectrum - the MINI. The Element is a nice car for a good price, I'm just looking for a smile on the face car versus the utility car. The dealer removed the seat in a matter of seconds when showing me. He was also able to hook it up to the side window fairly quick. That's a nice trick!!
  • ozone1ozone1 Member Posts: 87
    that's hilarious, I'm shopping the same two cars you are. It's either the MINI or the Element, both make me grin.
    I'd trade my Z3 on a Mini Cooper S, but we don't have a dealer here in town. I'm really reluctant to own a car when the nearest dealer is (at least) 300 or so miles away. The Mini is supposed to be a total hoot to drive -- corners like a go-cart -- and it gets great mileage to boot. But the Element has unique styling (looks like the [non-permissible content removed] child of an H2 and a Mini IMHO), and the practicality just can't be beat for me ...

If only they'd put the sunroof up front where it belongs. :-(
    That's hilarious - I thought I'd be the only nut comparing two completely different cars!!! When are you going to decide? How are you going to decide?
    kholzman - I also love the styling of the E and think that it's a mini-H2 (with better rear seat legroom). The MINI is really a fun car to drive - the inside is also very unique to any other car.

I think that I'm going to order the MINI tomorrow - good luck with your decision ozone!
    Which Mini are you getting? A Cooper or a Cooper S? What color? Really wish we had a dealer ... though I'd still have to buy the Element first. Can't fit a Mastiff or a Great Dane in a Mini.
  • goinstaggoinstag Member Posts: 20
    I stopped by SF Honda today and they were pretty non-pressure. They didn't have any manual EX's at all, but I saw my first orange Element and liked the color a lot more than I thought I would--I think it's a good color for it (though I still want a green one). They couldn't provide any info on when sde airbags might be arriving, which I think I may wait for--I've pretty much decided that I don't need 4WD. Good luck with your search.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    If I go through with the DX 5 speed, adding A/C here is $1200 plus adding a stereo with a front aux input for my ipod (hello fellow mac man) and decent speakers is another $300 brings my total to $15,500... Thats still some $4,000 LESS than a 5 speed EX (assuming a price of $19,000. Thats a lot of change in my book. Adding an armrest is only another $100 or so... Waddya think?
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    I would give it some time and buy the car later on when it's not riding the "brand new model" wave.

$.02
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    So I guess Element falls into the "fun car" niche.

Wait a little while, but if they're discounting below MSRP, you probably won't do much better by waiting. Honda isn't one to offer rebates.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It's a bit like the PT Cruiser and new Beetle.
    I hope the appeal lasts longer, though. The guy that paid $25 grand on E-Bay for a New Beetle can now sell it for about, what, 1/4 that amount?

Same with the PT. Except once all is said and done at least you're left with a little more utility.

I think as long as you're not paying above MSRP, you won't suffer a similar fate.

Join the SUV craze, sure, just don't go crazy! :-)

-juice
    Here are two "fun cars" playing games with each other. =)

http://mail.scoe.net/~cgeurts/images/P3300030.JPG
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,285
    I finally saw the Hoonda Element close up, inside and out. Man is it ugly and the commercials are annoying.
    That photo makes it look like the Hummer is driving OVER the Element. Or that they're about to have a child of their own! LOL

Off topic, but I photochopped this today:

You need to be registered at ImageStation.com, but it's worth it! :o)

Chris Bangle is ruining BMW and someone's got to stop him. The new 5 is HIDEOUS, and to prove it I pasted Dame Edna's mask on the front, and you can barely tell which side of that photo was doctored! In fact, I don't remember! LOL

-juice
    One of the Honda dealers here is selling EX's for $1,000 under sticker, or at least was just a few weeks ago. Seems like there were a few more niceties to the EX v. DX thing (alloy rims, among others), but I can see where buying a DX and adding what you want makes sense, too. I don't like the current trends in aftermarket radios, so I like the idea of a factory unit that does everything I need (iPod input and in-dash disc changer).

That picture of the new 5er is a kill! I actually kind of like the new 7, but the Z4 leaves me cold -- I'd buy an S2000, SLK, or even a Miata before I'd get a Z4! Actually, I'll take my Z3 over any current roadster. :-)
  • ssender1ssender1 Member Posts: 28
    Have any other owners of a 4WD Element noticed a loud noise when backing up about two to three feet. It's hard to describe the noise except to say every time I hear it I think I've run over and crushed something. Could it be the 4WD disengaging when the car is in reverse???
    Are you making a tight turn while backing up? Like when pulling out of a small parking space? Or does it also happen when backing in a straight line?
  • superb_herbsuperb_herb Member Posts: 10
    Hi E gang,

I love this car! Once it passes The Wife Test...I'm goin' shoppin' !! I need some advice first though...

2WD vs. 4WD -
       • My first thought was I don't need 4WD in San Jose, CA. I don't foresee us doing much snow country time either.

• However, a friend felt that for safety the 4WD makes a difference in traction during really rainy weather. (If true, that alone might sway me, as I have a toddler and we plan on having a #2 in the near future.)

Does the 4WD REALLY make that much of a difference in rain? Any experiences to recount?

• Plus, in my friend's opinion, if we resell the E later on, supposedly the 4wd retains its value better than a 2wd and is easier to resell, because many people THINK they need 4wd, when they really don't in 99.7% of their driving situations.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

SAFETY -
       • Side airbags - Sounds like there is no telling exactly when they'll come out. So my question is:

Are they really worth waiting for?

• Crash tests - I'm expecting the E to have sterling front and side impact ratings, similar to the new CR-V I'd think. But I noticed on its rollover test, the new CR-V got only three stars (of five).

Any thoughts as to how prone the E will be to rollover? Any way to tell when complete crash test results will come out?

Well, thanks in advance for any opinions you care to share!

Herb :-)
    Well, my test drives of the Element and MINI are complete. First off, the Element. The SF dealer was pretty good I guess. They are attempting to sell them at a markup, however. When I told my sales guy that the other dealer I spoke to (in Corte Madera) was not selling at a markup, he changed his tune real quick. I did like the Element a lot. Three things did bother me however....I still am not convinced about the longevity of the plastic cladding, and also, I drove it up a steep SF hill and when I floored it, the front wheels lost traction and I had to struggle to keep it in line. Now, I am used to rear wheel drive cars (Rodeo and Jeep), so maybe that's just part of owning a front wheel drive vehicle. The third thing is the lack of headroom for the rear passengers. I'm only 5'9" and my spikey hair was touching the roof. My wife was concerned about the interior quality, but I didn't think it that was bad. Oh, and if you are shopping in the Bay Area, I really preferred the Corte Madera dealer, no markups on any Element.

I know this isn't the MINI board, so I'll keep it brief....we're buying the MINI. Test drove a Red/White Roof CVT Cooper (automatic plus a clutchless manual option) and fell in love with it. I didn't see the need for the extra HP of the Cooper S. Yes, the Element did and still does make me grin, but the MINI makes me jump for joy while while running around in circles waving my hands in the air...nuff said.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Based on the video I saw of an Element speeding through a slalom on one of the automotive TV shows, the Element is NOT prone to rollover at all.
    It COULD rollover anyway since even regular passenger cars can be made to rollover.
    The Element has a lower center of gravity than its cousin the CR-V, so it should be less prone to roll-overs. Side airbags are nice, but I wouldn't avoid buying now if that's you're only doubt.

As for the 4wd v. 2wd quandry ... I think part of this comes down to how long you're planning on keeping the car. Once we buy this Element, I doubt if we'll sell it in less than six or seven years. I can't imagine a better dog hauling vehicle, it's going to be a third car, so the miles won't pile up fast, and given Honda's reliability reputation, I expect that it should easily last that long. But if you're planning on only keeping the car two to four years, 4wd will probably hold its value better. However, there's a fair difference in sticker price, and you could put a lot of extra goodies on a 2wd model for that cash. Also, if acceleration is important to you, the 4wd system adds several hundred pounds, and 4wd models with automatics (the only way to get 4wd right now) are reported to be downright pokey off the line. Finally, are you ever going to take it off-road at all? If so, then you'll probably want 4wd, but if your idea of off-road is the mall parking lot, then 2wd really should be enough.

Sorry this was so long ... and ozone ... congrats on that MINI! Love the color scheme. I'd go for a real manual, but the CVT is supposed to be a pretty trick set-up if you don't want to deal with a clutch. Happy motoring!
  • jrock80jrock80 Member Posts: 66
    I am seriously considering a new Element as I can really use the space and convienance utility that it offers. I have always owned cars and it always seems like I need just a little more room to get something in the car that just wont fit. The other day for example I bought a new TV and was very annoyed the box wouldnt fit in my Accords door opening. I do a lot of highway driving and was just curious as to what kind of mileage many of you are getting. I have an 03 Accord EX V6 now, the window stick says 30MPG on the highway and I have gotten as high as 34. Was just curious what all of you are getting...

Thanks!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    ozone: But you can't wipe off the floor of the Mini or wash it's seats. Completely different cars. There is nothing else that offers the Elements durability. Besides, after hearing reports of all the problems with the Cooper I'd rather be grinning while DRIVING my Element than jumping for joy while waiting on my Mini to get out of the shop.

Saw a blue EX Element with running boards ... gotta get one of these some how. Don't know which car we have right now that we would get rid of for it though... so maybe I will pay the Accord off and then get one as a second car...
    MINI and Element different cars yes, but two people on this board already were cross-shopping them. Hey, I think the Element is a good car, the MINI ended up being the best fit for us. As for problems, you must be referring to the UK cars, not so with the U.S. Coopers. You only need to look on the MINI Edmunds Problem board to see what I mean.
  • goinstaggoinstag Member Posts: 20
    Good luck with the Mini and thanks for the info on the Marin Honda dealer not marking things up. I may need to head up there to check things out. For me the Element will be my only car, and I'm conderned a Mini wont have enough space--I like the idea of being able to lock my mountain bike in the Honda rather than worry about it.
    ssender1: that doesn't sound good. Maybe have the dealer check out the differentials' operation. They might have to open them to see if there are any metal shavings in the fluid, but if so the sooner the better.

ozone1: get the car that made you jump for joy.

Would you rather have a perfectly reliable car that you know for certain you would not like as much? How boring would life be?

Or, re-read ssender1's post and you decide if the Element is so perfect that you could even make that claim.

-juice
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Reliability alone isn't reason enough to buy a car but reliability along with more practicality, better reliability (read Edmunds long-term), and it's own unique advantages/style.

As for reading Edmunds for info on the Cooper's reliability ... I did and here is a quote from the February article:

"Despite the appeal of the Mini, Phil had some nagging concerns about the car's reliability. Readers of our long-term introduction might recall that Phil was driving the Cooper S when the shift linkage broke and he was left stranded in San Diego (Mini Roadside Assistance picked up the car and paid to get him home in style). Now, with over 15,000 miles on it, the clutch is making a scraping noise when it is engaged in either first or reverse. Clearly, when load is applied some sort of friction is encountered. The Mini was taken to the dealer to have this inspected, but no verdict has been delivered. Stay tuned and we'll let you know how it was resolved in next month's update."

Not saying you shouldn't have bought the Mini if that's what you felt was the better car for you but the Element is not without it's advantages.
    Exactly, reliability is but one single factor.

BMW X5 owners are extremely satisfied, resale is excellent, demand still strong. Reliability is awful, so what? At least that's what owners and the market are saying, 14+ recalls later.

-juice
  • dena_roeslerdena_roesler Member Posts: 17
    but a few things I'm disappointed.

I can't go around corners fast enough. I like taking corners at more than twice the speed limit.

I like a low seating position in a car and I feel like I'm seating in a darn SUV when I was in the Element. Feel like I'm going to topple.

Any suggestions?
    All of the small suvs share the same "tilt" characteristics. The Element is one of the best when it comes to reducing this trait. The Forester is another that does well in the handling department, but it also has good deal of body roll. If this is a big problem for you, then none of the small SUVs will meet your needs. Start looking at the Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe.
    I feel so stupid now. I guess that's what I get for test driving the Element. But at least I can hose off the seats and floor, no?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    That person is being a sarcastic troll.
    The Element already has a very low seating position that is too low for some even after being raised to the highest possible adjustment and handles very well through a slalom course.
    I read about ozone1 cross shopping the Element and Cooper. I would personally get the Cooper S if the dealership I was at last night didn't insist on full MSRP + another few thousand for dealership add-on. I love the Cooper. Such a cute and sexy car at the same time. But someone (probably a troll) pointed out to ozone that he can't hose of the seats or something to that affect??? I do like the Element though coz' it is very functional.

Decisions decisions. A fun go-cart car or a boxy unattractive box. Summer is coming and I would be going to nurseries buying plants, seeds, fertilizers.

Can't a girl have fun and be pratical at the same time?
    If you corner that fast, get a sports car! At least get a WRX wagon or something.

Look at those, Cooper S, Protoge5, Matrix XRS, Vibe GT, etc.

A Forester XT will be out in June, with a torquey 2.5l turbo engine, but it still won't corner like a sports car.

-juice
    I was actually very impressed with the handling characteristics of the Element during my test drive. You do sit a bit lower than you would expect and it definitely doesn't drive like a SUV. I was able to zip through the Mission district in San Francisco with ease during the lunch hour, dodging jay walkers and buses the entire time. If utility and hauling stuff around is your priority, the Element is a very capable car.

Dena, if you don't want to pay the money for the Cooper S, look at the base Cooper with the CVT (automatic with manual option), quick and fun, you won't miss the supercharger. I pick mine up this Saturday!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you should obey the speed limit, for your safety and mine. 5 mph over I can understand, but double? Geeze, I trust you're just exaggerating.

Steve, Host
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    There's no law unless there's a policeman watching.
    Well, I just like the feeling of speed. Makes me feel young again.

But seriously, most of the time when it says 25 or 35mph ramp speed, I usually do 50 or 60. I'm sure everyone does it too ;) Of course I don't when it is wet or snowy. But in the dry, here I come.
    Where do you live? I just purchased a MINI on Saturday for $500 under MSRP. Three other dealers quoted MSRP, so this dealer seemed to be the only one dealing. They have around 20-25 cars on the lot at a time. I live in the Chicago area.
    The Cooper is just a spur of the moment thing. I mean the car is just so cute. Unbelievably so. But often time, reality sets in. Probably have to be more practical and get the Element :(~~~
    Are you Kennesaw Carmax Dena?
    I'm offended! >:(

One thing worse than used car salesman is another used car salesman.

Thank god I don't have to buy used car.

Oops... I better retract that statement. I'm not sure are some honest used car salesman out there.

No.. I'm a respectable lady. O:)
    I didn't get a chance to look when I was checking out the Element. It was dark out.

Does the rear roof retract to open up? I read in a magazine (don't remember, it was last year covering some auto show) that the Honda concept at that time Model-X?? (which became Element) has a retractable roof. Is it in the Element? That would be nice when I buy 4-5 feet plants. Looking at a Japanese maple for the front entrance this weekend.
    The rear roof panel is a pop-out design. No option for retracting. :-(
    They probably did that for structural reasons? No B-pillar on the sides, so the roof is surely reinforced.

-juice
    I'm gonna ask next time I see [you]. I can't imagine 2 Dena Reoslers in one city. By the way with all the jobs at Carmax how did you know she's a salesperson? Service, business office, CSR's, clerks...all kindsa stuff. LOL
    I'm referring to gee35coupe. You asked me if I was working at Carmax. I shudder at the thought of working as a used car salesman or woman in my case. Ok, I made the assumption everyone at Carmax is a used car salesman. LOL. Sure, there's the janitor too and the GM. But regardless of what your role is at a dealership, it mainly boils down to selling cars. Even the GM is selling cars indirectly. LOL.
    I should probably go check it out tonight since they are open late. But if anyone cares to answer, do you have to unlatch something on the inside to release the room. Any pictures of it on the internet somewhere? TIA.
    I know I didn't sell a durn thing while I was there.