Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If you can afford to be patient, great, you'll probably end up getting a better price.

For instance, the Odyssey demanded MSRP forever, even with a wait, but now you'll find 1-2k off MSRP without even trying hard.

-juice
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Well, our credit union has 2.9% financing. Now the hard part is finding what we want. But we had to wait 4 months for a EX-L 5-speed Accord coupe so we can wait a few months for the "E".
    I see one on the road just about every day now. Saw two yesterday, actually. The news is spreading fast.

I kinda like the green one, it's grown on me the most, maybe because it sorta looks like a paramilitary camouflage thing-a-ma-jig.

-juice
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    what my wife wants.

There is a black one just down the road from me now. Making it harder to wait till fall.

I just hope she doesn't change her mind before then, it's her car, but the Element is what I want her to get.
    Black sort of hides the cladding, it doesn't stand out as much.

-juice
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Don't see too many Elements on the road here in Arlingotn & DC but saw two yesterday. One in black and another in Orange.

Mine will be Silver unless I change my mind by the end of the month.

Anyone have any ideas if there is a long waiting period for EX 4WD w/front side airbags?
    I like the silver but want the darker gray interior with gray accents instead of the blue that comes with silver. So that left orange, black, and shoreline mist. So shoreline mist it is.
  • rockymtelementrockymtelement Member Posts: 12
    I was all ready to purchase a blue Element before I bought the black one. When my wife saw the blue accented interior, she said 'no way'. If it hadn't been for her I would have bought the blue.

Personally, I think the blue fits well with the styling of the vehicle. It is a bit unconventional, but yet I think is attractive. The black exterior with the dark grey/grey interior works just as well though.
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    drove black cars my whole life - looked sort of cool for me - two weeks ago some 17 year old punk hit me head-on, DRIVING DEEP INTO MY SIDE OF THE ROAD, while I was standing in the middle of the night under rain on intersection waiting for the red to change to green - now, with my Legacy being History - my next car will be orange, or yellow or red - any BRIGHT color, JUST SEE ME ON THE ROAD. PLEASE!!!
    Sounds like the punk would have hit you head on no matter what color vehicle you drive. But then again, that orange Element sure stands out. . .
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I'm with Juice. I'm not normally a big fan of green cars, but the Element looks like it was meant for it. I also like the Silve and Shoreline Mist. Like others, I might opt for the mist, and get the interior trimmed the way I prefer.
    I agree with you varmint and juice. . .it does look like the vehicle was made for that green. Unfortunately there was not a green one to be had on the dealer's lot when I was purchasing, so I opted for black. I'm not disappointed. It still looks great in black.

The green one reminds of an old International Scout a buddy of mine's dad had years ago.
    yep, orange looks good. Green is too militaristic for my taste - wrong generation/upbringing - make love not war, etc...
    I assume you had your headlights on?

Yeah, my guess is that eejit wouldn't have seen a Yellow H2.

fsv: so I take it you're not getting the optional gun rack? ;-)

-juice
    Fsv - Perhaps you would prefer something a little less military and more diplomatic?
    of course I did have my headlights on. 11.45 pm, standing there one foot behind the white stop line, two feet to the left of me is the double yellow, dividing the opposite traffic. On right of me I see this SUV, GMC Jimmy, making his left, and moment later I realize that he is going too fast and he WILL go on my side of the road, I start honking - to no avail; I couldn't jump back, since it was to late and his truck was already on my car...
    And definitely H2/1 would have had less damage.
    No, I don't need the gun rack - I have my lawyer.
    Jokes or not, but being into MA for years, I am not in roadrage or anything like that - there are 100,000 wqays to kill a man, but there are no way to bring one back...
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    I like the Orange and Green for the Element. But come on Honda, for a car as extroverted as the Element, splurge a little bit and give us some nice colors!!!

I'd love to see an Element in bright red or yellow, or even a brighter green or blue.

Enough with the conservative colors on such a cool vehicle!
    I have my lawyer

LOL, the weapon of choice.

I bet if they made yellow ones they'd be popular. Then again, maybe not, the yellow Bajas have not sold well compared to other toned down colors.

-juice
    Lawyer - what, normal reaction should be go out and shoot people? May be this is way to go in DC area, but here in NY we don't do it. (It's cops monopoly, he-he).
    Perhaps they wanted to avoid excessive comparison with the Aztek. Some comparison cannot be avoided, but using colors that are less over-the-top may have been their way of keeping things under control. The Element was a risky vehicle to produce, after all.
    They hedged their bets, makes sense to me.

Subaru botched the Baja launch badly. They didn't even have full brochures ready when they came out. Standard leather and moonroof made it too expensive at first, even now the Sport model still have a moonroof standard. What if you're tall or don't want one?

And yes, they showed the yellow one in just about every ad, TV and print. The monotone silver sold the best.

Once the Element establishes itself as a hit, far from the crash the Aztec was, we'll see wilder colors.

-juice
  • brad5161brad5161 Member Posts: 1
    We're in Maryland near DC and are picking up a Shoreline Mist EXS (side airbags)auto for invoice plus freight. Also had side steps, roof rack and mud guards installed... for $650. Then because of a light scratch on the lower rear quarter (replacement cost $95 retail) we got $400 knocked off that.

I have no idea why they're dealing like this on this car, it's pretty surprising. Every dealer I contacted was willing to start negotiations at invoice (around $19,200) plus freight ($460). At the end of May it was at that price minus the 3% holdback but the side airbags were just being shipped so we decided to wait. We could've waited until the end of June but we're happy with the deal we got.
    The Element is selling better in some areas than they are in others. They are still trying to get close to MSRP here in Atlanta. Not to mention if you even mention you want a 4WD 5-speed EX and want to pay invoice they will run to the back for a straight jacket.
    The DC metropolitan area has lots and lots of competition. You find unusually low Subaru prices here too.

-juice
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Sounds like your accident was a SUV hitting a car. How did the car holdup? Was the SUV damaged as bad as the car? Good to hear you are OK. What are you going to place the car with?
    didn't I break my nose, had sore neck/back, I'd be totally fine (also for a week or so had difficulty controlling my left arm); I still don't workout; in the bout Legacy vs. Jimmy - Jimmy won hands down, it had minor scratch on the bumper, and I believe, broken turnlight incorporated in the bumper. In Legacy: Bumper, hood, driver side fender, head and fog lights, steering - all gone, natuarally some unibody damage, and, I suspect, something is wrong with the engine bushings, and I don't like the jerky way transmission is shifting now, etc. Amount of damage on Subaru is at least $5G's. And I am facing a legal battle - the father of the kid who hit is, says that ...I jumped red light. I hate SUV's; but after the accident I started to look at bigger cars or SUV's, or SUV-like cars, like Element. Also I am looking at Infinity Q45 - it's a great car, and I can eventually get it, 2-3 years old for 17-18G's with under 30,000 miles. And, I still consider WRX wagon.
    Re colors: if Honda would have painted Element in slightly glowing colors, it would look very cool. ANd that's not because of my night accident; I simply think that contrast of dark plastic panels and lighted body will look new, and attractive for younger folks, and cool in general.
    Packing up the family and taking them on a 14 hour ride to our home town this evening after work. A week trip. Anxious to see how the road/wind noise is in the Element. Also I will get a good idea of gas mileage on the highway. The Element is so fun it's going to make the grueling trip to the midwest seem short. I'm sure it will get some head turns and wrinkled noses in Iowa. Funny.
    I'm not sure I'd agree that the car "lost", it absorbed impact energy and kept you safe. If it sacrificed it's own life to save yours, I'd say it won beautifully.

-juice
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'd like to hear how you do on your 14 hour drive and week trip. How comfortable it is on long drives is important to me, since I'm stuck with a very uncomfortable vehicle.

I dragged my husband (OK, he was somewhat willing) to look at the inside of an Element. Our salesman showed him about how the seats work, and the next thing we end up test driving a 5 speed. I was very surprised at how it was geared - the low end is so much better than our Tacoma! Now I'm back to thinking about new cars and the Element is definitely on the list.

About the only colors I've seen around here are black, silver and orange. Won't buy another black vehicle, no matter how good looking it is. While I haven't seen them yet, I'm leaning toward either the green or blue.
    Hey mtngal. You still shopping? ;-)

-juice
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Ok, I'm supposed to buy an Element EX 4WD in two weeks. Yesterday I drove a Pontiac Vibe for the day and really liked the car. Just like the Element, its everything I want but it also seems to have something the Element doesn't.

What I like about the Vibe is the fact that it has the height of a car which makes me feel safer driving it (particularly here in the DC are) because of the constant opportunities for sudden braking or swerving to avoid an accident.

I consider myself to be a good driver and have avoided a few accidents by being able to brake and make a quick lane change when necessary/able. I think this is part of the reason why I don't like anti-lock brakes. I've become very good at pumping the brakes so anti-locks would just screw me up.

Anywho back to my point: I'm afraid that if I were to make that type of sudden brake and lane change in an Element that it might roll. My fears a probably unfounded particularly since my Tracker never behaved badly in that type of situation and it was rated fare more likely to roll.

I just don't know what to do. I really like both vehicles and would buy them both if I could but im not sure if I want to be driving an Element in 5 years at 37 yrs old.

Any current owners have any advice or comments they'd like to share?
  • hppypaulhppypaul Member Posts: 43
    I'm 39 and really love the Element. Have a 4WD, EX with 5spd on order. It's so much more versatile and fun to drive than a regular SUV, plus the stereo kicks. The only thing more fun to drive is a MINI Cooper. Go for it.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I'm considering one.
    Yes, I'm still shopping. I just got the pink slip for the Wrangler (hooray!) and really can't buy until I pay more down on the Taco (probably this fall, so I'm getting closer). I was even thinking about forking over enough to replace the seats and keeping it (still an option) but at 113,000 plus miles, I'm not sure that's the best idea.

I wasn't going to consider the Element, because I didn't like the look from the outside, but I made the mistake of asking a neighbor of mine to let me see theirs. The interior is the most practical of any vehicle I've seen for what I would like. They love their 4x4 auto and say it doesn't have any problems with our commute (he works "down the hill" also - just in a different city). I'll still prefer the 5 speed, though (such a short clutch and short throw shift - at least compared to my usual vehicles).

Just my personal opinion - while I'm not crazy about the looks of the Element, I prefer it over the Vibe. I went to look at them when they first came out and didn't bother test driving one.

As far as the Element goes, I was surprised at how it didn't lean much and felt so solid. Has any one driven one on a windy day? Since it is so boxy, is it as bad as a Wrangler? Since part of my commute is usually windy, that is a big consideration for me.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    mtngal

You might want to take a look at the Scion (toyota) xB as well.
    When my husband saw the Scion at the LA Auto Show in January his comment was that it looked like a Taxi cab, and he wouldn't be caught dead in one. Our experience with Toyotas hasn't been the most positive so I think he would murder me if I suggested he look at the Scion.

On the other hand, he turned up his nose at the Element in a very strong and vocal way at first, but after looking at the inside and then test driving it, it is quite high on his list of priorities. So maybe I could get him to at least look at it, if for no other reason than comparison.

I haven't seen any Scions on my way to and from work, but I have seen quite a few Elements, for such a new car.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Scions are just starting to be sold right now, and only in California.

For what it's worth, from a review on another web site...

"As severe as the xB's outside is, it delivers on its promise of a roomy inside. Next to the two cars Toyota expects the Scion to go head to head with, the Honda Civic and the VW Golf, the xB leads in virtually every passenger compartment measurement, and generally not by small amounts. Remarkably, the xB offers more passenger room than the larger and taller Honda Element.

Scion xB delivers about 6 inches more front and rear headroom and 3 to 5 inches more legroom than Civic and Golf offer. Amazingly, the xB boasts nearly 3 inches more front-seat headroom and 7 inches more rear-seat headroom than the Element, despite the Element being 6 inches taller. The Element does offer a lot more front-seat hip room, however, and slightly more rear-seat legroom.

For hauling booty away from the local flea market and garage sales, the xB offers a smidgen more space than the Civic and the Golf. The Element tops the xB, however, offering 74.6 cubic feet of cargo space versus the xB's 43.4 cubic feet. And be forewarned, ordering the subwoofer speaker requires forfeiting about 2 square feet of the cargo area's floor space.

Cubby space is about normal for the class. There are the usual map pockets in the doors, cupholders front and rear and so on. There's a nook in the lower half of the dash to the left of the steering column, a cranny to the right of the column and a visually symmetrical, but taller and wider, shelf-like opening above the glove box.
    "

Now I actually like the Elemnt VERY much, I'm just throwing out alternatives. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I just looked up the Scion xB on Edmunds and found out it won't meet my personal needs. I need a 4x4 or AWD to get out of my driveway sometimes in winter - I have a "thing" against chains and shovels at 4am.

Advantage to Element.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    That's interesting crash info, I wouldn't buy an Element until I knew more about it. I'm really curious to see some crash tests on the xB.
    Looked at a 2WD EX auto Element today. Dealer wanted MSRP $19910 + $1000 appearance package + $440 side steps, + $200 for mud guards. We told him thanks but we have 3 cars and alotta patience. Besides, we still have to drive a 5-speed 4WD to be able to comfortably make a decision.

One thing I noted is that the 4-speed auto in the Element is one of the best Honda automatics I have ever driven. I had a 2001 EX V6 Accord and loved everything except the tranny. So an auto in the Element wouldn't be that bad. But still gotta at least drive the stick.
  • hppypaulhppypaul Member Posts: 43
    I drove a fwd 5spd over the weekend and the manual is the way to go. I've got a 4wd, 5spd EX on order in orange. No dealer add-ons and $250 below sticker.
    Will still shop around but this seems decent. Very, very fun to drive.
    I also test drove the FWD 5 speed. It has a short throw and a short clutch. Took some getting used to, but I really liked it. The clutch was much easier than either the Taco or the Wrangler - something to think about if you drive in stop and go much.

My salesman said that the auto tranny won't hunt on hills, like older trannys do. Was he right or was he just trying to sell a car to a little old lady? If so, I might revisit my decision not to ever get another auto if I can help it.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Your salesman is probably right. Most of the modern autos have some kind of grade logic that reduces, it not elminates, gear "hunting" on hills. The sophistication of the algorithms does vary though - the MB systems are usually considered the best. Don't know about the Element/CRV specifically.

I wouldn't shy away from an auto for this reason.

- Mark
  • goinstaggoinstag Member Posts: 20
    I have a 5-speed, but when I test frove the manual it was fine on hills--didn't notice gear hunting at all. I'm used to a manual and felt that there was a slight lag on the auto kicking in in comparison when getting on the highway, but it seemed pretty good.

As for those Scions, I checked them out this weekend while my dealer was installing my foglights. I don't see anyway that the xB can have nearly the legroom of the E and didn't like the xB styling close up at all. The xA, however, was a surprise: I thought it was better looking than the larger Matrix (less "swoopy" design) and seemed nicer than the xB to me. Cool little sporty hatchback.
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    My wife drives an Odyssey auto with grade logic control. I've driven it over our little mountain (2000ft) a number of times and it doesn't hunt at all. It will even kick down a gear when decending a steep hill to allow the engine to help with the braking. In all it's a really nice transmission. If the Element's unit is of a similar design then it should perform well going up and down hills.

The only difference might be the V6 in the Ody vs the 4-banger in the Element. The Ody has a good deal of torque and might not need to downshift as much as the Element. I dunno - you might want to ask an Element (or CRV?) owner in your area how their truck performs on the hills.

-jim
    I think I recall that the xB has more legroom than the Element, but half as much cargo space.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And twist axle rear suspensions. For those that thought the E would be anemic... And no AWD either. But hey...buy what you want. They do come with carpeting.
    The E has a great engine and handles well. However, it's tall and rides high, and twist axle rear suspension or not, I bet the Scions handle better.

Basically, buy the Element if you need the extra cargo space, but buy the xB if you just want to enjoy the drive and pocket the $4,000.
    The Element is "more" car than the xB. If you just like the xB that's cool. But for me I couldn't deal with the axle and small engine. The Element handles pretty good for something of it's weight and height. It feels like it was made for the highway.