Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    CR-V has a lot of pros: 1 more passenger capacity, more payload, less weight, better fuel efficiency, quicker, more clearance, easier to let out rear seat passengers, full size spare. The rear has a table so you can change your twin babies' diapers.

Element costs less, has 16" rims, sportier suspension tuning, and draws MUCH more attention. The interior can be wiped clean, the seats come out entirely, and you can open the sides wide. The rear roof opens so you can change out of your wet suit.

Basically the CR-V is family oriented, while the Element is outdoor sports oriented, more for empty nesters and swinging singles.

This may be the case with a lot of folks, but basically I prefer the Element by far but would have my needs better met by a CR-V.

Just my 2 cents'.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "Those doors are dangerous"

Well, the Escape (sans airbags) shares the same poor IIHS ratings as the Element using traditional doors. So do a few others. I guess regular doors aren't safe either.

You'll need to find a vehicle with gull-wings.

Superb_herb - My sister and brother-in-law went through the same process. They ended up with the CR-V (5 speed EX). My brother-in-law's theory was that you can always dress up the 'V with aftermarket gear. Of course, now my sister won't let him...
    Just get a model with side air bags. That's really what the test showed - the value of those.

-juice
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Couldn't agree with you more, Juice. Love the Element, but the 4 passenger capacity, awkward rear doors/seatbelt arrangement, heavier body, poorer fuel economy and gigantic rear legroom/small cargo area tradeoff would probably force me into a CR-V. Here's hoping the next generation CR-V has some of the Element's personality (and a similar rear hatch arrangement as well).
  • zenzikorazenzikora Member Posts: 64
    Personally I hope the next 'SUV' Honda shows is a Honda-badged TSX wagon, maybe with a tiny bit of height added. . . sportier than the Element, as much room as the CR-V, and priced similarly. . .

I do wish the Element was just a tad longer though; they could have kept the length the same as the CR-V, and dropped the roof as much as necessary to keep weight down, and it would be almost perfect
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    TSX wagon would be nice and I agree, it does need a bit of height added....current euro-accord wagon looks a bit "hearse-like" to me. As the TSX sedan is priced about 6 grand more than the CR-V in Canada, I wouldn't count on a similar price to the CR-V, though.
    I also agree that the Element should've matched the CR-V for length. 4 conventional doors (or even sliders....it IS a utility vehicle, you know)
    and a b-pillar would eliminate the "extra reinforcement" weight of the current version.
    Let's face it, if you want to load anything boxy or bulky, the rear hatch is the way to go, unless you want to remove the front seats.
    Well that's why I thought rebadge it, maybe even swap out the engine/trans for the base RSX ones, it would still be a nice vehicle. Or heck, even with the american Accord engines, as long as they keep the smaller TSX platform and sporty suspension. But I figure until something like that Does pop up the E's my best bet. (I know there's a VW option here, but reliability spooks me off that one)
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    Will have an "A" on the grill, not an "H"...

The concept "Dual Note" uses hybrid style power plant to have very good power/acceleration & economy. It will probably have styling like the TSX (i.e. some what of a "wedge") but perhaps with a green house more like the MDX (as opposed to the "upright" greenhouse(s) of the CRV, Pilot, Element) to avoid looking like a Matrix/Vibe...
    zenzikora: you read my mind, I was just in the Upcoming Crossovers thread and mentioned a TSX wagon would be a good start for one...

-juice
  • fryingbolognafryingbologna Member Posts: 85
    Spotted this at, uh, the end of my block, and snapped a photo:

Just kidding. Concept car from Acura, circa 2002.
    http://www.hondabeat.com/article_details.php?ID=46
    and
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020107na-8.htm
    Do a TSX wagon with flares, AWD, big tires, raised suspension. It could compete with Outback VDC, Volvo XC, and Audi allroad quattro.

-juice
    I was thinking more along the lines of FWD, sporty suspension, competing with Mazda6. . .
    but they could do two versions, like Subaru has the GT and the Outback
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    you could pick up a Mazda 6 at a discount (since they aren't selling well) and convert it.
    Unfortunately, I need a wagonish vehicle. I wish Mazda had come right out with the wagon too, but since the car I drive now is slowly dying, I need to change out soon, not wait till Mazda goes into discounting their brand new arrivals
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    why the argument about the safety of suicide doors? small and full size pickups have been using them for almost a decade. thats what the element really is, anyway...honda's precursor to a pickup. take off the rear roof, and you have exactly that...tailgate and all.
    Bowke - That's true in a way. The original Model X concept had a removable roof panel in the back, much like the extended Trailblazer. The production model only got a sunroof back there. Personally, I was disappointed with that move.
    I'm glad they didn't have that a part of the production model. That would instantly turn me away from the Element.
    the honda pickup, due out in 2005 as a 2006 model will be on the pilot platform, but will have suspension setup almost identical to the element, with similar styling cues.
  • weelzweelz Member Posts: 20
    Almost bought one then I saw the new ECHO hatch and picked that up instead.Seems to be alot of probs with the Element.Windsheild cacking,rattles,and I have just been reading lately on some owners boards about oil leaks!One guy had some seals replaced and another oil pan gasket and a few others with mysterious leaks.Not really what you expect from Honda but it kept me away from the first year model.At least the ECHO hatch has been out in Europe for a while and no probs.I don't want to be a tester for Honda.The quality has been lacking in their vehicles in the past few years it seems.I have heard about other models with issues as well.A friend of mine just bought a new Honda and the paint is coming off the door handles after 2 weeks :( Not to mention the cockiness you get when you walk into a dealership.No thanks Honda....better pull up the socks if you want to sell that backwards Zamboni.
    What "owners boards" are you reading these problems in?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Hasn't been in the Toyota problem forums. The same things are going on those forums. There's really not much difference.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The Element is selling like gangbusters, despite a few first-year teething problesm. No need to "pull up the socks."

Stress-cracking windshields is becoming a problem in a LOT of new cars. The Mini, Discovery, Element, and quite a few others too. It's a result of using cheaper, lighter (thinner) glass and ever-stiffening car structures.
    I will wait for the 04's to come out with the bugs worked out and a few other things thrown in.
    how are element owners reporting oil leaks, but accord and CRV owners are not?!?!?! ITS THE SAME FREEKIN ENGINE!!! lol
    I agree, I don't understand how it would be different.
    Thanks weelz for the other forums - I joined them too
    The 6 sedan is that model's least interesting iteration, no wonder it's not meeting sales forecasts. FWIW I've heard the manual trannies are kind of hard to find.

I was thinking the same thing - Element's powertrain has been proven in the CR-V.

-juice
    This vehicle also from what I have seen has low ground clearance for an SUV.Also read that it can be a problem off-road.But that would make no difference because it is the same engine in the CRV which has a higher ground clearance right?Unless of course you take your Accord 4 wheelin' also.I realize it is the same engine BUT IT IS A DIFFERENT FREAKIN VEHICLE ALL TOGETHER!!!!!

Sorry to bring this up really go ahead and make your own decision I am just posting some of the info I read that's all.

-you are welcome bigkahunafl I hope you enjoy reading the posts there as I did.Very helpful in making my decision.
    You wrote:

One guy had some seals replaced and another oil pan gasket and a few others with mysterious leaks

I presume many of these parts (if not all) are shared with the CR-V. Maybe these are isolated cases; the CR-V's powertrain has been reliable.

No vehicle is perfect, I'm sure whatever you ended up with (xA or xB?) will have a few issues of its own, knock on wood.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Management frowns on posts that link to or promote competing auto forums. thanks,

Steve, Host
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    There's always one person who insists Honda quality is going down while there ten people who get 150,000 miles with no problems. My 03 Accord with the same 2.4L the Element uses has been awesome in it's first 8 months and 16,000 miles.
  • superb_herbsuperb_herb Member Posts: 10
    To varmint and ateixeira, thanks for your feedback.

I'm now at peace with going after the CR-V, vs. the Element (still the car I love). The CR-V does fit my family's practical needs better, and I DO like the car a lot. So we'll probably be in a V instead of an E by this time next year.

(I just posted on the CR-V Access. & Mods. board, to see if anyone had done any mods to give their CR-V a sportier ride. I'm anxious to see what replies I get.)

Well, thanks again. I'll still be hanging around this forum, as the Element is still the car for me.

Although only in my dreams.

For now.

;-)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I wonder how different I am from most shoppers looking at the Element. I'm not planning on driving it off-road at all - only through occasional heavy snow and ice - most of the time I'll be on the freeway. So while ground clearance is something to think about for the occasional heavy snow, it isn't a big deal for me at all. My needs would be met better by the Element than the CRV, so that's the way we'll go if we end up buying a Honda.
    I think it's one of those "nice to have" things that most people never use, at least rarely.

Ask yourself, how many times did you bottom out in your last car or truck? If you say never, then it wasn't really much of an issue.

-juice
    Hmmmm, Let me think.
    When was the last time I drove in snow here in South Florida? Never.
    Standing rain a foot deep? 2 days ago when Tropical Storm Erika (then just a tropical depression) passed over us.

I'm with ateixeria, nice to have but ride is more important.
    Driving in standing water is dangerous anyway. I saw an SUV drive into a ditch the driver could not see. The water is level and you can't see holes the ground! Careful out there...

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I sure would like to have another inch or two in my minivan, even if it would affect the entry height. But the approach angles are what really kill me - with the front overhang, I'm always scraping the front bumper going over little dips or speed bumps.

My MV ground clearance is 5.8" - the Element is 6.9" so that'll help a lot. That's just a tad less than my Outback's 7.3" and I've had it on some rough roads without scraping anything.

Steve, Host
    That's about all most people will need. I think the Element and Outback offer a good compromise between clearance and center of gravity. That's why we don't see customers screaming for stability control. On taller SUVs it should be standard.

-juice
    For my first few years with my CR-V, I lived in a condo complex that had it's own parking lot. The town plows would leave a mound of snow at our entrance. This past winter, when we had 22-26" of snow on the roads, I used the CR-V to clear a quick path for my wife's TL. There are times when GC helps.

That said, I think Steve is correct with respect to approach and departure angles. You won't get over any obstacle if the bumper prevents the wheels from reaching it.
    How 'bout a shovel? :o)

-juice
    After buying a house on today's market, who can afford a shovel!

My driveway is too long to do that easily. and besides, I pay a guy to plow it. I'm not going to do half the job before he shows up!
    Was un-aware of posting links.My apologies.

ateixeira I bought the ECHO hatch which is only available in Canada and also in Europe and Australia under the name Yaris & Vitz.The Scion is not sold in Canada.

I have nothing against Honda I have driven them before without problem.I just feel this vehicle is too "new" for me.Maybe the 04's will address some of the "quirks".

It may have come in handy last night as the power was out so we could have slept in the car :)
    I shovel it myself (note to self: re-negotiate that chore with wife).

It's easier to shovel fresh snow that hasn't been driven over and packed down, of course. But then again, you're not shoveling it, so who cares!

Yes, Element owners that lost power quickly discovered what a great "tent" it makes.

-juice
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Taken from edmunds Consumer Ratings & Reviews here

We are 60 years old and need a single vehicle to do every thing. The Element is perfect. I took trash to the dump after hanging the rear seats up on the wall. Works greate.
    when i sold hondas, i sold the first E in the dealership. my customers were a married couple...man was 65, woman was 63.

weelz...the element is almost entirely from honda's parts bin. for most of the vehicle, especially the powertrain, its been around awhile.
    Obviously that did not come from the same bin.

Seems like a design flaw to me.For Honda to put out a service bulletin on it there has to be some type of problem.The ball peen hammer diagram fix did just not appeal to me and almost looked primitive for a fix on a modern vehicle.It just seemed to me when I drove it the windsheild was too flat and would be catching rocks and debris.Maybe they will have it worked out with the next re-design of the vehicle or perhaps it has already been addressed with this fix.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    demographic of all car models according to Automotive News Magazine. So they are doing okay. You gotta think how many young people can afford a $19,000 Element vs. older people. Most younger folk buy used cars.

That Echo hatch looks like a nice ride. I read about that one also in the Automotive News magazine. I'm jealous of you Canadians.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Looked at a CR-V tonight as a possible other than to an Accord 4 door or an Element and came away feeling that I would be happier with the Element or Accord. My 6'6 man barely fit in it. It would've been doable but why sacrifice when you have the Element.
  • bwiens1bwiens1 Member Posts: 3
    Thought I would add a post for those in the frenzy of car shopping:
    We now have 3,000 miles on our 4WD EX Auto w/side bag Element and are absolutely thrilled. Some things of note inlcude that we are a young family with a 2.5 year old and another on the way and find the rear seats are ideal for child seat access. This is an awesome kid car! We load it with kid and crap, just back from the beach, and everything fits and works so well. The back tailgate is ideal for diaper changing and our son can climb all around and spill his food and we don't worry. All our guests love the rear seats. Surfboard on top, practically Wal Mart inside. I mountain bike a lot and my bike does fit easily inside standing up with no wheel removal.
    No wind noise problems. Drive to San Diego a lot and cruise 75-80 on I15 with no problem climbing hills or passing. RPM at 3,100 or so, feels smooth. Also, I live at 6,000 feet and have no problem climbing the hill home. Even the auto transmission is geared to not jump around. Very smooth and quick acceleration.

Back moonlight does require the optional screen which I installed myself, wish it was a solid slide out, that is silly.

Got rear ended in my brand new car already at about 5-10mph. Scratches and cosmetic damage to Element, destroyed front bumber and grill on Chevy Silverado? Wouldn't have expected that. Don't have repair estimate yet.

The auto tranny lever is so great where it is and does not interfere with anything. Quite the contrary, I don't have to look at it to feel it and shift when you are maneuvering around parking areas D-R-D-R...

Speaking of which, the turning radius is divine! Better than our Camry wagon we sold.

Getting too long, but just wanted to let people on the fence know that we are happier and happier with our Element and are seeing new ones driving around all over SoCal. Critical mass I think.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    It is nice to know that you have no problems. I got a similar report from my neighbor with an auto. How do you find it getting on the freeway? I test drove one and thought it would not have problems with freeway on-ramps, but wondered what you thought.

And yes, there are more and more on the road. Last night I saw my second Scion on the road. When I first saw both vehicles at the LA Auto Show I thought they were very similar. Now I can't imagine why I ever thought that - they are really quite different, and the Element wins all the way!