Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    6 foot 4 inches here and no dice for a CR-V as well.

CR-Vs are great vehicles - I even put $500 down on one. But once I realized the leg room situation, I had to make another choice.

It just surprised me when I looked at Edmunds top 10 cars for tall people and the Element was one (and the CR-V is not). They are cars with similar missions. I know the Element is supposed to be for the youth market and the CR-V for families. But they are both less expensive, 4 cylinder, small Honda SUVs. Both compete with say, the RAV 4.

Perhaps the Element is more of a tall man's car? It does seem to appeal more to men than women. I think we would all agree, men tend to be taller than women.

My friend has an Element for a 4 person, 1 dog family and it works great. I drove it for a weekend and found I also fit quite well in it.

it just seems to me that Honda realized the limited front leg room in design for the CR-V and for whatever reason chose not to address it. Figuring perhaps that taller drivers would opt for the Element on a low cost side and the Pilot on the higher end.

I like the size and styling the CR-V better than both the Element or Pilot, so it is disappointing that it was a non-option.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    CR-V feels bigger than the RAV4, but maybe the Toy's front seat track slides back farther.

We looked at one closely, also, a CR-V that is. There was the legroom issue and we really prefer a tail gate like the Element has, for shelter from rain.

A 5 seat Element would make my short list next time around. I like the lower price, the 16" rims, and especially the clam shell tail gate, but I some times need room for 5.

-juice
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    The Element brochure describes the steering wheel as adjustable. Anyone know if this is just tilt or also includes telescope?

Thanks.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    I believe it is tilt only.
  • mcspoomcspoo Member Posts: 3
    I've been considering trading in my 2001 Escape for an Element. I test drove an Element, but not on the highway. I've never driven anything with a 4-cyl on it, so I'm curious as to if the Element's highway performance is acceptable, or equal, to the Escape.

Thanks.
    Element is geared a lot shorter, plus it's a big 4 cylinder (2.4l vs. your 3.0l). So it only has slightly less displacement.

Also, since the specific output is higher (that's HP/liter), it'll hold its own. The Element is heavier, though, so try one. One thing to look for is highway noise because it will rev higher than you're used to.

Good luck.

-juice
  • ikelimikelim Member Posts: 4
    I had to take my 2004 LX Element in due to oil leak/spray. Dealer had to change the vtec spool valve filter(gasket). Imagine that! 4,000 miles on Honda and oil leak !!!

I just hope nothing else will go wrong...otherwise, I love the ride.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    About 20 years ago I read that turning the A/C on briefly once a week would keep the seals lubricated and greatly extend the A/C life. I am glad to see that the Element has automated this process - it is a great idea. I can stop nagging my mom...well, if she ever gets an Element (which is looking more attractive to me, at least, now that I have a baby - there is so much room between the two rows of seats, that a rear facing child seat is not a problem, unlike on many other cars).
  • ztorinztorin Member Posts: 48
    I've had my EX(S) now for 5 days and absolutely cannot say one bad thing about it. (Does anyone know what the difference between the EX and EXS actually is...my sticker shows it as an EXS?) As for the highway question above, I find it's excellent. Gets up to speed quickly, and passes like a breeze. I was cruising at about 75 (with the cruise control), and in one button press, I quickly got her up to 85 with no problem. Very smooth shifting and no lags in power. City driving is VERY FUN. It rained like mad today in New England, and I drove around hitting every puddle I could find, just to "see", and she stormed right through every one of them like they were not even there. I even tried about 10 times to make the tires spin on the wet pavement from a dead stop, and it was pretty much impossible. Not sure if the AWD kicked in or not, I couldn't feel anything, other than the fact that it gripped the wet road like glue. I'd nail the gas, feel about a 1/2 milisecond slip and then she just takes off like a rocket. I LOVE MY ELEMENT !! I'm 6'3", 210 lbs (male), and I have SO much room in the driver's seat it's amazing. The headroom alone is impressive. My favorite feature by far is the stereo. So with that said, I have noticed zero road-noise on the highway. How could I with bass like that !! CD's sound incredibe. So far, everyone I've shown it to is extremely impressed. Even the one's who hated it. Once they see it up close, and see how big it actually is inside, they quickly change their minds. I was driving a 95 Corolla, and I could not believe that the Element is the exact same length. It blows my mind that it's small, yet incrediby HUGE inside. That means I can park this thing anywhere. The view through the windsheild is amazing, not to mention the view through the driver/passenger windows. Blind spots, yeah they are there, but you just need to "look", no big deal at all. Overall, one week and I can't stop loving the Element.
    the model with side airbags.

SRS
    Thanks bshel. I knew it was something!! Side airbags makes sense !! I kind of wish the moonroof was "power", so I could open/close/remove while driving... Oh well, MINOR issue...
    Don't sweat it ikelim, yours in the first such case and I think it's an anomaly.

-juice
  • synthia92synthia92 Member Posts: 3
    does any one have any idea what infant car seat that is rear facing fits into the element i am having a hard time finding one. other than that i love my element.
  • pnassmacpnassmac Member Posts: 37
    makes a model # 8448LSAR we purchased for our newborn that works in the E we recently test-drove.

We weren't able to try out the base, only the seat and it worked great. Just make sure to pull the seatbelt all the way out and then retract as needed to remove the slack before buckling in the childseat.

Good Luck!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might want to check out the Child Seats That Fit discussion.

tidester, host
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    too lazy to read all the posts .
    went to dealer today - they were showing only EXS modles - had 6 of them.
    1. = brochure says a DX exists
    edmunds shows DX LX EX
    whats the actual situation?

2. Brochure says you can add a comfort package to Dx to give you air and am fm cd. edmunds says no options on DX??? whats right?
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    I just went to the Honda website and "built my own" DX. It let me add air conditioning (no mention of a "comfort package") for $1,275
    when you get AWD do you get another set of CV joint boots to break too? ie is the rear axle IRS and you have boots at the center of the car (2 more boots compared with 2 wd?

2 wd - 4 boots at the front

awd - 6 boots - 4 front, 2 at rear????
  • synthia92synthia92 Member Posts: 3
    my son is 7 months old and i am looking for a rear facing car seat that fits in the back seat of a honda element
    I have the Automatic. I would have liked a standard, but to be honest, I don't drive stick all that often, actually never. I drive 50/50 city/highway, and I prefer the automatic so I don't have to "think" about it. I love it. I have no complaints. The shifting is ultra-smooth, you don't even feel it. Zips around town, and suprisingly VERY swift on the highway. Takes of very fast from the line, and has the power to pass efforless on the big roads. I guess it's a matter of preference and driving style.
    what mileage do you get?
    Consumer reports downgraded the element on gas mileage, said 14 MPG in their city loop (!!) and 20 average.

what do you get??

Anyone else??????
    anyone know what any maint issues are with this All wheel drive?
    is the car FWD with a shaft that goes back? are there CV joints at the back or a solid rear axle?
    If CV joints at the back, how many 2 or 4?
  • dervishhenrydervishhenry Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at one today. The ad price is a few dollars less than 20k for an EX w/ auto, roof rack and splash guard. Seems like a good buy.
    they called the Goodyear Wrangler HP tires harsh and noisy.

are there other choices when you buy anew element? or are they all Goodyear?
    ...is to go and drive one. Take it on a long test drive and see for yourself. Gas Mileage: I honestly haven't calculated. It wasn't a deciding factor for me whatsoever. I knew it was going to have better than average gas mileage than any other SUV. I was driving a '95 Corolla that got in the mid-30's. Honestly, I'm driving the Element on the same weekly rides to and from work, and I have not filled her up any more than I did with the Corolla. I would guess I'm getting in the low to mid 20's. I do not agree with the 14MPG comment at all. Now, I've seen the "road noise" comment before and now the "tire noise" comment. I don't know what they're talking about. First of all, it's an SUV (mini). Secondly, it's NOT a Lexus, and it's NOT a BMW. What is Car/Driver comparing it to? I have NOT noticed any more "road noise" than a normal car/truck/suv. Now, Honda put an insane stereo system in this thing for a reason, TO LISTEN TO IT!!! I don't know about you guys, but I have never driven in "silence". Who does? My stereo/cd is playing all the time and I think it's one of the best "stock" stereo systems I've ever seen, and I "live, breathe and bleed" music, it's my life. The subwoofer will rock your world. If people are going to be that anal about "noise" then they might have other issues that need addressing. Sure, if you have the windows down, the back windows open, the sunroof off, the stereo off, and you're making zero conversation, then YUP, you're probably gonna hear some noise. I personally wouldn't even make it a "buy or not buy" issue. I don't ever recall Honda advertising it as a "quiet/silent" ride, it's a "FUN RIDE"... As far as the comment of the "tires being harsh and noisy", I don't even know what that means, let alone try to answer it. Lastly, my personal choice for this vehicle was one simple question. Am I going to utilize it for what it can offer me? YES. I camp, I go to weekend-long music festivals, I road-trip a lot, I have a dog, I can tend to be messy in the car (spilled drinks, crumbs, dog hair, etc...) thus I love the easy-clean up interior... I live in New England...it snows a lot in New England... I liked the NOT full-time AWD idea (My understanding is that it only turns on when you need it and does not remain on), I like the seating/cargo options, this thing is so much bigger inside than it looks, I'm 6'2" and have more than enough room in the front and the back, I love it's looks, I love the "stares" I get around town and on the road, I love the standard options on mine (Cruise/AC/ABS/Front-Side Airbags, sunroof, stereo, real-time AWD, etc, etc..) So, I just asked myself some questions, and it was a good fit for me. For other people, it may not be the vehicle for them. So, I'll repeat, go take one on a LONG test ride and decide for yourself. I would also suggest not wrapping yourself up with the little things, every vehicle is going to have something that someone doesn't like. If that were the case, we'd all be driving the exact same vehicle. Life's too short to worry...and remember...it's just a CAR!! (...or SUV, or Baby SUV, or Mini Suv, or milk-truck on wheels, or Elephant... whatever you want to call it)
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    Agh I love my honda. I've been pining for 2 weeks that I need my Element back. It has so much comfort to me now over normal compact and midsize cars/coupes.(I've got a bad leg, getting in and out of low vehicles is a bit annoying)
    I can see everything in it with less blindspots than my stratus.
    I should have it back midweek. feels like an enternity.
    I have become very attached to my car.
    Rear ending someone can cost you though a new radiator and relay, fan shroud, stuff like that approx. $2000.
    The damage to the compact sedan wasn't visibly bad at all.
    This car is very safe for us and my companion vehicle.
    is the left leg foot room a problem?
    I test drove an element this week and that seemed a possible issue. I also drove a CRV and can not remember if the CRV had a pinched in left foot area too.
    The salesman also said the crv was on a civic frame and the element on an accord frame ???? i have read otherwise which is right.??
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Has the Accord engine on the Civic/CRV platform.
    I'm 6'2" and I rave about the amount of driver's side legroom. I have no problems. My left leg has more than enough room. I can either stretch it all the way to the floor, or I can keep my knee bent and up further back on the mats. I've actually never seen a complaint about the legroom, only positive comments.
  • dervishhenrydervishhenry Member Posts: 4
    Got one yesterday and it's an automatic! Thanks, ztorin. Just love the ride. Much peppier and quieter than I had expected. We're going to take a long ride to day and I just can't wait.

It was the best car deal for me ever. After a few weeks of checking around, the best one was around 20.5k for a plain EX. I paid $19,990 for an EX Silver with: roof rack, security system, floor mats, splash guards, theft ID (?) and few others extras. Very nice.

I'm planning to turn it into my second home. With my portable DVD player, Ipod, sleeping bag, stuffed cooler, I could live pretty comfortable in there.

My five-year-old daughter was so thrilled. She named the thing Hippo and that what we will call the E from now on.

Got to go. See you guys.

PS: I need some info on rear hitch for my bike rack. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    That's great Dervishhenry!! Congratulations. I agree with you on how "peppy" it is, and I'm very glad you said "Much quieter than I expected" (more people need to back that up). Sounds like you got a great deal too, with some nice extras. And yes, you COULD live in there !! I hope you and your daughter really enjoy it as much as most of us enjoy ours. Your IPOD should sound amazing through that stereo, eh??? Well, it's in the mid 70's today in Boston, and I'm about to take her for a ride with my Mom, who has yet to ride inside of it.
    Hippo sounds like a great name, we've yet to name ours. Good luck with it !!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Edh - The Element and CR-V are both built on the global small car platform. This is the same platform used for the Civic, RSX, a small minivan called the Stream, and several other Honda models. The 2.4L engine in the CR-V, Accord, Element, and Acura TSX are all related. Based on it's power output, it appears that the Element uses exactly the same tuning as the Accord. The RT4WD system is a FWD-biased design with a prop shaft powering the rear differential. The rear diff sends power to the wheels via two halfshafts. The suspension is a compact double wishbone design. Maintenance is limited to changing the differential fluid every 40-50K miles.

For more information about the system, try reading this thread.

varmint "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" Dec 3, 2003 2:17pm
    I don't have any leg room issue at all in my Element where I feel that I do in other vehicles, typically coupes. I am 5'2" and my husband is 6'3". He says he has no problem getting around in the Element; but I worry about if the car is ever hit hard enough, any certain way- how easy it might seem to break his chins because of where the bottom dash sits against his legs.
    He hasn't complained- I only get concerned. But that's me.

I'd heard that the Element is on the CRV frame frame actually. hmmm
    varmit the info was great.
    I am not in snow country and the rtawd looks mechanically much more complicated than the 2 wheel drive.
    Just the 4 cv joints in the back will be an expense item all the boots break after about 5 years.
    local dealer has 15 elements, 7 are 2wd
    Henry's Hippy, congrats!

Your boots should last longer than 5 years. We did have one axle boot tear on our 626, but even that car was 7 years old by that time. Honda might be using better quality rubber, also.

I wouldn't lose sleep over stuff like that.

-juice
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    Outboard boots on the front have a much more difficult life than other boots because they have to stretch and compress to a much greater extent due to the large angles generated (in the CV joint) during steering at full lock. The inboard fronts are partially sheltered from road debris due to their location in back of the engine and their flexing is limited to a small arc generated by the travel of the front suspension.
    The rear boots are similar to the front inboard boots in that small amounts of flex are caused only by the suspension travel.
    On my car(s) I use a silicone spray on the boots to help protect them.
    My Element LX is still dripping oil from somewhere from the engine. As I posted earlier, the dealer had to replace vtec Spool Valve gasket (filter) due to a leak/spray. 2/1/2 weeks later, I can still see oil dripping though not as much.

I am going to take the car in to another dealer tomorrow.

I wish I was euphoric with my Element like some of the messages on this board. Now, I am beginning to get pissed off/worried...
    Check the oil filter. NHTSA has 7 reports of engine fire with the CR-V's 2.4l due to something exceedingly simple - the oil filter gasket.

Seems the old one tends to stick on, and if the service tech misses it, and uses two, the seal can leak. The oil drips on to hot exhaust parts and it's a Texas BBQ.

-juice
    vtec Spool Valve gasket (filter)
    No one posted today?? I feel obligated now. I do have a couple things to say/ask. First, to all the Element owners, do your front/passenger headrests only "lock" when they are in the highest position? Let me explain. From the lowest position, it doesn't "lock" in place until it gets to the next position? Not really a concern, I just wanted to see if it was across the board. Next, I haven't actually "Washed" mine yet, and I have some questions. I bought that Mr.Clean AutoDry kit that I've seen advertised. I haven't used it yet, but has anyone tried it ?? I know Motor Trend endorses it, and supposedly the whole concept stems from the water filter as it de-ionizes the water, which is why it doesn't "spot". Curious to know if anyone's had luck with it. Do you guys have suggestions for the following (SPECIFIC TO THE ELEMENT ONLY): Exterior car wash, car wax, tire cleaner, wheel cleaner, interior cleaners, glass cleaner, etc, etc... You get the picture. I haven't actually paid attention to washing my old Corolla, since there was really no point, so I don't know what the really good products are and I want to keep my Element in tip-top shape. So, any suggestions for cleaners SPECIFIC TO THE ELEMENT ONLY (since the interior materials are quite different than a normal vehicle). What about the composite body panels ?? Will car wax affect them if it accidently rubs onto them? Any thoughts, suggestions will benefit me and most likely the rest of the forum.
    ...I LOVE MY ELEMENT !!!! I'm still "giddy" everytime I open my front door and see her. I told one of my co-workers today that he has to go out and buy one, just for the freaking stereo system alone. To any and all DeadHeads out there (am I the only one??), LIVE Grateful Dead shows sound absolutely AMAZING on this system. OK, that's all, just a quickie.
    You can get the technical descriptions of vtec Sensor Spool Valve on some Honda & Acura websites and other web sites. I can't really explain. I do know it's located on the right side of the engine (side of the oil filter) attached to the engine block.

According to the service advisor, spool valve gasket (filter) was defective but the whole sensor had to be replaced. I guess I will have to believe her.

Subsequently, I took my element to another dealer yesterday due to oil still dripping from the under carriage of the car. I was told that they coudn't find any leaks but there was a large amount of oil resiue from the previous service including residue from oil change.

Now I am ready to enjoy my Elemnt...hopefully. My faith in Honda is a little shaky now but I will move on.
    I just got my element back today from the shop.
    3 weeks is too long I was having withdrawals.
    Well, I'm at 591 miles (picked her up with 10 miles on it), exactly 2 weeks old, and I've got a sulfer/rotten egg smell coming from the exhaust that I noticed this afternoon, and confimed it tonight. I just did some research online that suggested either a faulty catalytic converter OR it's the brand/quality of gasoline??? I was at between 1/4 and 1/2 tank today when I really noticed it. I was driving around for a while tonight, and I did stop and fill it up. At 600 miles, should this be happening, especially with a BRAND new vehicle ?? Tonight's only the 3rd time I've filled it up since I bought it ?? I'm really confused and starting to stress. Could it be the gas ?? The 1st and 2nd fill up was at a Mobil (2 different Mobil's) and tonight was at a Texaco. It didn't seem to change (the smell) after tonight's fill up at about 1/4 tank, but again, I only drove maybe 20 miles from the station to home. Any thoughts ?? I guess I'm calling the dealer tomorrow morning, and I'm NOT very happy about it... I bought "new" to avoid this crap.
    Sulfur smell - use the search function - I think you'll find information under Accord& Civic and some of the other discussion boards. Sounds like you'll probably have to take it to the dealer if it is that extreme.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Only happens to new vehicles. I've never seen a post that said a higher mileage vehicle had that smell.
    It happens to all makes and models from time to time. It should not require a trip to the dealer though. It'll work itself out over time.
    I did some research on some other forums last night, and that's where I found that it could either be the gas (?) or the cat converter. It's cold and rainy in Boston today, so I didn't feel like sticking my head under the tailpipe today, but yesterday, while it was idling, I stood behind it and you can smell it coming right out of the tailpipe. It's strange that I noticed it when the tank was nearing empty, so I wonder if it was just that tank of gas ? I don't know what to do. I guess I'll monitor it over the weekend and see what happens.
    Do they undercoat them before delivery?

I ask because with Subarus we've seen cases where there is overspray and the undercoating gets on exhaust parts. That burns off slowly and let off the same smell.

Could be that simple. It does go away in cases I've heard about. We even have a name for it, "New Car Stench".

-juice
  • amurphyamurphy Member Posts: 3
    To those of you who've added accessories to your Element... what did you decide to go with and how much did they cost? I've researched probably 10 different websites and all the availability on Ebay stores and feel I have a pretty good handle on the wholesale prices of genuine Honda accessories. I'm thinking about putting a list together of what I want and approaching the dealer(who sells discounted on Ebay stores) for a bit better of a price and a multiple item discount. What do you think?
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    I have an opportunity to replace my current car with an Element but before I head to a dealer I wanna ask a question or two:

1) Has anyone noticed any significant body lean in turns?
    2) What type of mileage does the 4WD get compared to the 2WD?

A dealer near me is advertising that if you have a car and are still paying for it they will pay it off for you if you buy one of their Hondas. I'm sure their must be some kinda trick to it but im gonna check it out this weekend.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.