Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Just when I think I've heard it all...

News to me!

????
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    My teens would love it if it had AWD and auto and an interior that didn't scratch when you sneezed at it.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Footie - Check your tires for flat spots.

Side Curtain Airbags

For the past year, Honda has repeated that they will be offering side curtain airbags (with roll-over inflation), ABS, and other features on all trim levels of their SUVs. The goal is to have this equipment standard by the calendar year 2007.

The second gen Element isn't due until the model year 2008. That means the last year (2007) would have to include this equipment. It's not likely that they would make such an extensive change in the very last year of production.

On a five year design cycle, a Honda will most frequently get a "refresh" for the 4th year. For example, it is expected that the CR-V will get the SE trim this year. If the Element follows suit, it will get this equipment for the 2006 model.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Traction control would manage the front axle of a FWD model cost effectively. I 2nd the suggestion to inspect your tires closely.

FYI, one owner reported a fire similar to the ones occuring on CR-Vs after an oil change:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/crv_fires.html

If you DIY just make sure to clean the area up and make sure you don't double-gasket. Save the receipts, too, no matter who changes the oil.

-juice
  • gerrbgerrb Member Posts: 1
    We are not SUV type poeple, but the car seems perfect for my husband who takes our big hairy dog swimming at the lake everyday AND I'm so tired of cleaning out the car after those swimfests. The Element's "waterproofing" was the reason I suggested it to him. The quirkiness of the Element's design has me intrigued. We drove one today and it was better than we expected. So we would appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly on the Element - it would really help in making the decision. PS...we have to endure CT. winters. Thanks!
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Good solution for your intended useage.

Get the automatic transmission and AWD. The manual is tiresome and the FWD is slippery on the highway.

The inside does clean up easily but be prepared for the interior plastics to scratch quickly.
    If you do get another fabric/carpet interior, I just got a bunch of dog hair out using tape.

It's a trick I learned watching someone prep a car for delivery (PDI). They use the sticky side of the tape to pick up lint from the seats, so they look spotless (hairless?).

I tried it on the spot where my dog sits, which is between my two kids in the back seat, and it worked quite well. You'd never know I had a dog.

If it's a big dog you might need a lot of tape!

-juice
  • baldeagle1baldeagle1 Member Posts: 1
    We are not SUV folks either, but wanted an AWD vehicle after buying a house in northwestern Connecticut. The Element had the best balance of function, features and performance with decent fuel economy, all at a reasonable price...plus it has personality. Besides, it's a Honda. It should provide years of trouble free ownership. We bought our EX 5-speed last November and love it. 10,000 miles so far and no problems. Only one road trip so far...to N. Carolina, plus numerous trips to NYC. Not a Lexus, but comfortable and quiet for what it is. The engine has plenty of power and doesn't require a lot of shifting to cruise at highway speeds. We've joined the Element cult!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Don't forget that road trip to NH. =)
  • deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    Thanks for the info on side curtain airbags everyone. Our salesperson is new and not well informed. Although I think side curtains are really really important, my mom loves the element and will buy one. When they come out with side curtains she will probably trade in for a new one and take a beating on the depreciation.
    Our element will be used for camping by my 76 year old mom. If anyone has done much camping in an element, I would love to hear any tips, modifications, add ons, accessories that have been useful.
    I've read through many of the forums and it seems lots of people are camping in elements. I just read that the battery is tiny (I haven't looked under the hood at all yet). Is there room for a larger one or additional battery? It seems it would run down with music playing, hot pot plugged into the 12volt, etc.
    Thanks very much for any ideas people are willing to share.
  • antique_numberantique_number Member Posts: 1
    I'm a Honda fan. However, I went from a 2000 Isuzu Trooper to a 2004 Honda Element. Overall it is a great vehicle and fun to drive. I really wanted a manual transmission; however, they are extremely hard to come by, so I settled for the automatic. Only a few complaints: too much road noise, doors sound like a tin can when closing, and not enough inside enclosed storage compartments. If this vehichle had a V6 with a little more insulation, it would be totally awesome (although it would have cost $2-4,000 more). Despite the above, it has been lots of fun.
    OK, I know that the Element does not have side curtains in "04. I know they WILL have them by the end of calendar year 2006. I know that Honda is very secretive about features of upcoming model year cars.
    Is it POSSIBLE that the "05 Element will have side curtain airbags as an option. I have looked for rumors and have found none, but that may just mean that Honda is really good at keeping secrets. i really think side curtains are important and I would hate to buy the car this month and find out that I could get side curtains in August.
    I guess the flip side, is that if I wait until August to find out, and they do not offer side curtains, I will probably have to buy a 2005 model which would be more expensive than what I can buy right now. Does this seem logical?
    Thanks for any input. I think I need a shove to help me decide whether to buy it now or wait a month.
    Dan
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    "but that may just mean that Honda is really good at keeping secrets"

They are.

I would wait for the 05's. If you aren't too picky about color you should still be able to find a 04 somewhere. Honda releases the new models around August-September so it won't be much longer. And even if you have to buy a 05 the price difference shouldn't be that significant. And at least you won't have to kick yourself in the rear later.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    I've read in the CR-V forum that a 5-speed auto tranny is coming in MY '05. Anyone know if the Element will also get the 5-speed auto tranny? Thanks.
    That would be a nice improvement. It ought to quiet it down a bit, too, I bet 5th is taller than the current 4th. Mileage might improve also.

-juice
  • pitbouvpitbouv Member Posts: 7
    I am considering an Element for my next vehicle and have a question regarding the ground clearance. I live in a flood-prone area and used to have a wonderful 2002 Kia Sportage 4WD with oversized tires that would go through water-filled streets like a champ. Sadly, she was totaled last year and they no longer make the Sportage. I like the Element a lot, but wonder if anyone can tell me what size tires are the largest that can fit onto an Element? I figure a lift kit is out since it is a unibody construction. Has anyone gone through sitting water with an Element? I am considering the EX AWD with auto. Thanks!
    Pitbouv in Florida
  • parkyparky Member Posts: 20
    First, we love our element. The past weekend the engine light came on at 10K miles, and at the same time the shifter locked in place. The light coded a faulty ECM(main computer). It was replaced, and then another engine light code for Barametric pressure. That sensor was replaced.
    The auto shifter lock was due to a throttle body service bulletin. You can pop the platic cover off the shifting housing and use your ignition key to engage your shifter temporarily.
    Also, my wife crash tested our Element four weeks prior at about 35mph head on into a guardrail, so maybe this was a delayed reation to the crash for the ECM. She is fine!
    By the way I am a rolling billboard for Honda on the weekends. I trailer a 2004 CRF250X dirtbike too! Great SUV, and best dirt bike I have owned in 26 years and 8 bikes later.
    Hope some of this info helps!!
    Tires are already bigger than the CR-V it is based on, so I'm not sure you could stretch it a lot further.

Taller springs would help, if any are made, because with an indy suspension that does raise the entire vehicle.

However - keep in mind you have an alloy block, that's not going to like dipping in a cold puddle when it's hot. You're just asking for trouble.

-juice
  • boomerbubbaboomerbubba Member Posts: 40
    I am a newbie considering/browsing for a new or lightly used Element. I'm pretty much set on a manual transmission, AWD configuration.

What surprises me is that stick-shift models seem to be so rare in the marketplace. On a vehicle with such a big fun factor, I would expect to see more.

1. Do I just not know the secret handshake, or do people just not know how to drive anymore?

2. As a purchasing strategy, will dealers compete on a special-order purchase the same as they might when they are selling out of inventory? I am willing to be patient.
    I think it's 93% now, the percentage of automatics out there. Even then most of the 7% of manuals are in sports cars.

You can sometimes get a better price if you order and wait, because the dealer isn't paying interest on that car for it to be in inventory.

-juice
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    It may have something to do with the fact that traffic has gotten so bad across the U.S. With the introduction of metered freeway on-ramps
    I gave up on manual trannys in the late 80's. It's just too much of a hassle slogging through city traffic nowadays.
    Also, automatics are sooooo much better today. Many have as many ratios and now they're managed by the ECU instead of being vacuum operated. Add manual controls and easier resale, and that's why manuals are rare.

-juice
  • sebski21sebski21 Member Posts: 10
    Being a Honda fan too I'm setisfied with me E at 4,500 miles. The average mileage at 25.5mpg. I also went from Isuzu (98 Rodeo manual) to E automatic (my wife's request). I agree with you about the road noise and I'm going to replace my good year tires once they wears up (I realize that will not help a lot but still). The doors sounds like a tin can but the lack of insulation is what this E is all about! And I think $2-4,000 more for V6 and extra will make this car for no-Y generation no more.
    PS. I have noises coming from tailgate hinges (as explained by Honda service), anybody?
    Acura is supposed to build an RDX on this platform, who knows, it might offer that V6. But it'll cost a bunch more.

Tires can help a lot, FWIW. My Forester dropped a few decibels when I went from Dueler A/T tires to a quiet touring tire.

-juice
  • ztorinztorin Member Posts: 48
    I have similar tailgate noises. Kind of a "tinny" sounding rattle or popping. Sounds kind of like if you drop a bolt onto a piece of sheet metal. Happens over most bumps and during turns. Driving me Crazy!! I can't locate it.
    Keep in mind to have the hose-out-ability you gotta give up some carpeting and insulation, things that would get wet and start to stink.

Can't have it all. A little more road noise is to be expected.

-juice
  • sebski21sebski21 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, this is it! I went to a dealer, they knew the problem, tightened the bolts at the tailgate hinges and this helped... for a day. Sure it's not even a problem but also drives me nuts. I hear it while parking, over bumps at low speed. Has anybody else had/RESOLVED this problem?
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Does it really have hose out ability? No drain holes, so spray a hose in there and I'd think you'd have puddles. Wipe out is more descriptive, no?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The whole hose-out thing is a myth. It "looks like" you could hose it out because there is no carpet, but if you really did it, the water would leak into places it isn't supposed to go, loosen adhesives on the plastic floor, puddle inside and cause other problems.
    Look in the owners manual on cleaning instructions.
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    Hi everyone....I'm curious about your snow/ice winter experience with the OEM tires (Goodyear Wrangler HP on my EX). I live in Hopkins Minnesota and will soon be spending my first winter here with my new E and would like to know what to expect. BTW, it's an AWD auto and I just got 22 mpg in mostly city driving.
    Didn't think so. I wouldn't doubt salespeople use that as a selling point. And I bet someone has hosed theres out.
    You cannot blindly believe what car salespeople tell you. Try having a salesperson point to where in the owners manual using a hose is suggested.
    You cannot hose out the interior unless you do not care what damage it causes. So, technically, you CAN hose it out just like you *CAN* house out the interior of a Camry.
    However, the water will get into and pool in the spare tire tub, rear heating vents, electrical components and so forth. The vehicle was not designed to be hosed out. You can use wet mops, rags, sponges, squeegee etc.. It is much easier to clean up spills than carpet, but just don't hose it out or pour buckets of water in there.
    Hosing out the interior is an urban legend perpetuated by automotive journalists who made comments in their reviews without fact-checking first.
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    :p

yeah they strictly recommend that you swab it down, not hose it out.
    I leave my carpet mats down most of the time anyway
    Yeah, I said that but realize you're better off wiping it down with a wet rag.

Still can't do that in most cars, though.

-juice
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Only a fool would attempt to hose out an Element or any other car. For one thing, there aren't any drain holes. Ther are also electricals under the dash that could get wet.

I serously doubt any salesman would tell someone that...ah...nevermind, I'm sure some probably have!
    I think the whole "just hose it out" rumor probably originated from an exaggeration of Honda calling the interior washable.
    Might have been from the Model X concept? Was that interior one you could hose out?

People tend to remember the unique, gee whiz features on concepts that make it to production. Maybe that's why the myth lives on.

Sorry to have brought it up!

-juice
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Is an Element a crazy car for a family? Those who have done it - do you wish you had purchased something else?

Here is my situation - I drive an 4 door Accord EX with leather interior that is a stick. I love the way it drives and it was a real bargain in my book.

Enter new family dynamic. My wife and I will have an infant child joining us this year. We plan a second within 24 months.

I have a one lane driveway. My wife does not (willingly) drive a stick. Her car is a Subaru Outback wagon, LL Bean with an automatic.

By leaving the Accord, I would solve 2 problems - wife-friendly-automatic and a car that sits higher to get infants in and out of car seats.

I have never driven with an infant for any length of time in my Accord, so to be fair, I am not sure if an automatic might be better than a stick for a new father too from a distraction standpoint.

The Element it is but one option. I like that it is a little lighter and seems to drive a bit more aggressively than larger options. It also does seem to retain a degree of FUN.

I resist some others more mainstream options like the Odyssey or Toyota Sienna minivan, or Honda Pilot. I just don't see myself driving something that big -- but maybe with kids you need to make concessions. I don't want to get the Element and then be trading it in for a minivan that I should have gotten in the first place.

The Element has a lot going for it. It has a lot of room for not a lot of money. It has an automatic tranny. Same motor and rough mileage as Accord. Burns regular gets decent mileage. It sits up high. It weights aprox. 3500 pounds instead of 4500 pounds for a minivan - ie better handling and mileage.

The interior seating materials seem essentially kid proof! The inside flooring is plastic for easy clean outs.

To some degree, it seems that the easy clean interior would be less stressful for me. I keep my cars VERY clean - something I am sure will change with kids.

To some degree I could think of an Element more as a TOOL and stress less than with my "fancy" leather clad Accord EX or fancier sport ute like a Pilot or even a Forester.

Here is what I am looking for - car with automatic tranny, high rear seat height so you can lift kid across into car seat instead of
    stooping into rear.

This would replace my car. We would keep the Subaru. An Element costs about the same as my Accord did, a bit cheaper. SO I can pick one up for essentially the cost of 2 years of depreciation on my Accord.

Other options considered:

The usual 3rd row minivans from Honda and Toyota, a Honda Pilot

V6 Accord with Automatic (solves tranny issue but not ride height).
    Your Outback can be the practical family car, so I think that gives you a little liberty in terms of your choice for a 2nd car.

Elements are affordable and don't depreciate much, so even if you change your mind, you won't be in trouble, really.

I say go for it, you only live once.

-juice
    "Is an Element a crazy car for a family?"

I have seen several young families in Elements. The height, interior room, and low-maintenance interior make this an attractive option for couples with young kids.

"I have never driven with an infant for any length of time in my Accord, so to be fair, I am not sure if an automatic might be better than a stick for a new father too from a distraction standpoint"

I have had a 2004 Accord EX-L automatic and now a 2004 Accord EX-L manual transmission. I also have a 4 month old son. We bought the automatic Accord (even though we both LOVE manuals) because I was pregnant and we thought it made sense. Come to find out, it doesn't really make that much of a difference because it's hard to reach them in the backseat anyways and if you need to check on them it's better to pull over anyways than to be distracted from the road. Once we realized this we sold our 04 automatic and bought a 04 manual. Love it. We had a 2003 EX-L coupe manual before the 04 EX-L automatic and both of the manuals have way more personality than our automatic did.

The Accord has an OK amount of room for an infant. However, the stroller does take up a significant portion of the trunk. Since your wife has an Outback wagon you could use it for trips to the store when you plan to buy lots of stuff. And the Accord should be more than adequate if you are taking a short trip and don't need that much luggage.

"The Element has a lot going for it. It has a lot of room for not a lot of money. It has an automatic tranny. Same motor and rough mileage as Accord. Burns regular gets decent mileage. It sits up high. It weights aprox. 3500 pounds instead of 4500 pounds for a minivan - ie better handling and mileage."

The gas mileage actually tops out at 26 MPG, maybe even 24 MPG since you will be buying an automatic. The Honda Odyssey gets 18/25. Even though the Element is lighter than the Odyssey, an Odyssey with the 240HP V6 is significantly quicker than the Element and would probably be an easier adjustment coming from a 5-speed Accord.

"I resist some others more mainstream options like the Odyssey or Toyota Sienna minivan, or Honda Pilot. I just don't see myself driving something that big -- but maybe with kids you need to make concessions. I don't want to get the Element and then be trading it in for a minivan that I should have gotten in the first place."

At first we thought that a mini-van was too large. After we had the baby and put the stroller, diaper bag, and car seat in we quickly realized a mini-van was not such a bad idea. So we leased the 04 Ody using Honda's attractive lease program of 24/12,000 for $330 p/ month inc. taxes with no money down. This allowed us to keep our Accord and Civic Si while giving us a baby hauler through the period where he requires the most stuff. If you can spare the extra $$$ this may be a viable option. You get to keep your current cars without losing the depreciation (which in most cases will only be a few thousand less than the total of payments for 2 years on the Ody) and you have a back-up vehicle in case one of your primary vehicles is out of commission due to repairs or an accident. It gives you a couple of years to see if you really need a minivan at a minimal expense compared to buying a new SUV or van. If you are looking at a well-equipped Pilot or Sienna the price difference between those and your Accord would probably cover the cost of the Odyssey.

The V6 Accord would be nice, but again I think you will find the mini-van will be much more convenient during the first few years when you have to haul around everything but the kitchen sink for the baby. Also, with the van if you travel with friends or family there is no need to take 2 vehicles or move the car seat from car to car. And the price I listed above is for a EX with factory DVD so you will have most of the goodies from your Accord + the DVD which could be a life-saver on family trips.
    Thanks for the thoughts juice and anonymousposts. Some good wisdom here.

Perhaps a minivan is the most pragmatic solution.

If I just wanted the ride height and did not need to change to an automatic tranny, I am sure an Element with a manual would be fun. Or a Forester XT for that matter!

For those with experience with young families and the Element, how "kid proof" has the interior proved to be?
    Many families are annoyed by having to unbuckle their seatbelts and open their front door to allow their kids out of the back seat of the Honda Element.
    To me the Element is a two door vehicle. I don't think anyone thinks the Saturn Coupe with its extra doors is a four door vehicle. Why the Element? I'd keep this in mind if you are going to be putting kids in and out of the backseat. The CR-V isn't as utilitarian but still will meet most needs. It's interior isn't as fancy as the Accord w/ leather so you may not have to worry as much.
    I've heard people go both ways on the Element as a 2 door. Some parents I talk to like the control of when their kids go in and out of the back seat. Others find it tedious to have to get out and open the door for backseat passengers to get out.

As for the CR-V - I also really like that vehicle. The problem for me is I am tall and long legged (6' 4" and 36" inseam). I fit very well in my Honda Accord and the Element. The CR-V is strangely a little tight in the front seat for me.

I don't think the CR-V or Element have telescoping steering wheels so that limits what you can do to get the wheel out of the way of your legs. For some reason the Element seems better. Maybe because the seat is higher off the floor?

I think the EPA measurements may indicate the CR-V has more front seat room. But for whatever reason with my tall body, the Element seems to have more.
  • streamwinnerstreamwinner Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 EX Element with the 270w stereo and I'd like to upgrade the subsystem. I'm thinking about using the stock deck (since my other deck will not fit) and running a 600w amp to a 500w single 12. Has anyone done something like this? If so, how does it sound? I've tried calling the Honda headquarters to find out what the frequency cutoffs and power distributions were but noone knew.

I also wanted to thank everyone who participates in these discussions. This is the first place I came before buying my Element a year ago and I found everyone's advice very helpful. I love my Element and am convinced that it is the best car available. Period.
    I also found the CR-V lacks front leg room. I could not really stretch out my legs like I wanted to. And I'm only 6'.

Oddly the rear seat has almost too much rear legroom. They could move the front seats about 6" farther back and it would still be comfortable for rear seat passengers.

I've sat in an Element but haven't driven one or spent enough time in one to tell if it has the same issue.

-juice
  • streamwinnerstreamwinner Member Posts: 2
    I'm 6'4" (34" inseam) and I haven't had any problems with the legroom in the Element. I also sat in the CR-V while shopping around and found it pretty cramped.
    Must be roomier, then, if two tall people noticed that.

-juice
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I have an EX AWD 5-speed with two children, 3 and 4. Quite frankly, I don't think the Element would be much fun with infant seats, and depending on your infant/convertible child seat, it could be hard to get the seats stable when facing backwards. I personally am a carseat freak, and would probably never put an infant in the E because I could not put them in the middle. That's just me.

I already have many stains on the seats in the E. I have many stains on the seats in our Ford truck. My opinion is that leather is the best way to go. It's actually easier to keep the seats in our Volvo clean because nothing sticks.

The main drawback of the doors is that the front seatbelts are mounted on the back doors, which means you must not only open the front door, but unbuckle as well.

Now that my kids are old enough to climb in and buckle themselves, entry/exit is no big deal except when they close the doors in the wrong order!

Don't get me wrong, I love the E. We feed our cows out of the back, go muddy places, etc. But I might be trading it if Toyota brings the FJ concept out.