Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• I am wondering from current Honda Element owners - do you slide your front seats forward, using the walk-in pedal, when people get in the back seats? Or do you always open the door?
  • There is enough leg room in the back to not have to slide your seats forward to let the rear passengers in.
    However- to let them in you do have to make sure that you're unstrapped and open your door- there is a handle to the back door on the inside of it, and on the inside edging is another one for them to open it themselves from the outside providing your front doors are open.
  • I think it depends on what you are doing with the vehicle. For instance if you are a soccer mom driving the kids all over town it probably does not work. However, if you are taking 3 or 4 people to the same place that you are going it is great. For instance, my wife, myself and another couple went to 3 art gallery openings last Friday night. The Element was perfect - tons of legroom in the back, very easy to get in and out, great 'space' inside to turn around and talk PLUS 4 cup holders for the wine! (Did I say that?)
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    If you are trying to get something in or out of the backseat area and are parked with cars on both sides of you it's pretty tough.

The doors open up blocking access from either end of the vehicle.

Since the front doesn't latch when the back is open, it's not too cool.

regards

04 EX FWD 5MT GG
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    There is no guarantee, but there are several VERY significant upgrades to the 2005 CRV that will probably turn up on the 2005 Element:

1. 5 speed automatic standard instead of 4 speed (yay!);

2. Side CURTAIN airbags as well as side torso bags, across the line (yay!) (as we found out from the Insurance Institute side crashes last year, side torso airbags are "almost" useless, but side CURTAIN (for the head) are critical;

3. Stability control is STANDARD across the line.

Items 2 and 3 are the reason I traded in my ZX3 on a VW Golf. If they turn up on the 2005 Element, I will have to seriously think about trading in my PT Cruiser on an Element, if not on a CRV, these features are so important, imho.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I agree, those would be major under-the-skin upgrades.

The 5 speed could make it both quicker and more efficient. CR-V's EPA numbers went up a bit.

I hope you're right.

-juicer
  • i always just open the back door. There really isn't enough room for people to crawl out of the front door- even with the front seat all the way forward.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Those are for the CR-V only. It may not be likely that any or all of those changes automatically go to the Element.
  • rog96rog96 Posts: 21
    Also waiting to see if 05 gets 200 hp ... how long before Honda releases info?
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I'll bet you $500 the Element does not get a 200 hp engine. My apologies for being blunt, but that's just silly.

Honda will release info about one month before the vehicle hits the showrooms. I expect we'll start to hear about it in late October or early November.
  • I know how to manage the doors in the grocery store parking lot.
    I just open the front door to open the back, and then leave the front door closed while I load up.
    I stopped blocking myself in...
    The just makes sure to open the front a little to close the back door, and just shut the whole thing up.
    I've had it since december and it took me until This early summer to find the perfect pattern for myself.
    Honda will save the 200hp for the sequel. ;-)

-juice
    Well, think about that for a second. I assume we are thinking about 2.4L from the TSX. That engine requires premium fuel and burns more of it. And it's an expensive engine to build. The Element is positioned as the bargain alternative to a vehicle like the CR-V. Giving the Element the full VTEC really distorts that mission.

I think the TSX engine in an Element would be fun, but let's be real about it. Anyone looking for a performance Element can strap on a roots turbo or supercharger.
    I was just kidding, anyway.

More likely we'll see incremental improvements to the 2.4l in there now.

Check out Jackson Racing, they have Honda applications for $3500 or so plus install.

-juice
    I know a few CR-Vers (1996-2001 models) who added a JRSC to their rides. One of them included a VTEC head from the Integra GS-R along with it. They estimated the output at well over 200 hp.
    Whacky but cool. :-)

-juice
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Varmint said: "The Element is positioned as the bargain alternative to a vehicle like the CR-V."

Looks that way, I unearthed a Honda press release and the EX, and not the LX Element, will be upgraded to ABS and side torso (not curtain) air bags. All remain with a 4 speed automatic, but at least sticks are available. No stability control, no side curtain bags, in any Element so the CRV for 2005 will be one big jump in front of the Element.

Too bad, I can get excited about the Element, but the CRV is just another d*mn SUV....

(No, I don't think the Element is an SUV, not only because it is built on a unit body instead of a truck chassis, but because it has a good bumper height compatibility with passenger cars; it's really a station wagon, if that weren't a dirty word.)
  • gxb159gxb159 Posts: 46
    I am in the market for a crossover vehicle as a second ride to an 05 Outback. My requirements (1) AWD (2) Safe and Reliabe (3) Good MPG (43) Must be able to hual loads of goodies home from Lowes/Home Depot. I know these are different vehicles, but both meet my needs.

Has anyone compared the two? I would appreciate your thoughts. THANKS
    I consider the Element more of a vanlet thingy than a wagon.

-juice
  • Hi all - I'm a long time lurker, and first time poster. We bought an '03 Element EX in July '03, and have had good success with it as a vehicle. Great versatility, and even with two children, a 10 yr. old and 3.5 yr. old, we have had no issues with access or car seats - everything works great (as long as you remember to take off your seatbelt before you open a front door to let them out!!!)

Anyway, we have a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo that we are thinking of getting rid of - maintenance and fuel costs (ie premium) are eating us alive - plus, its a 12 year old car. After doing a ton of research, we are considering getting a second Element - probably an '05 after December. Anyone think this is crazy? We really notice that we utilize the Element's space and versatility more than we need seating for five.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Chuck