Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That assumes it's air tight, but is it?

I dunno, I use the blue stuff and in deep freezes it just freezes up. The label says it's good for up to 20 degrees below freezing (12 F), and it hasn't been *that* cold (18-30 F).

Maybe I'll stick with the stuff meant for lower temps. The Prestone product says its good for 40 below freezing.

varmint - do you still have those lit spray nozzles? I wonder if that heats them also.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    LOL! Yeah, I do have the LED spray nozzles. But I never turn them on. That was one of the criteria for installing them. I required a dashboard switch I could use to flip them on and off.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That assumes it's air tight, but is it?

At those tempreratures the vapor pressure of alcohol is rather low so you would need significant convection to make a difference. But then it depends on how gaping the holes are in your system! ;-)

tidester, host
    Dunno, maybe the blue stuff is just low quality.

-juice
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    has Edmunds editorial coverage of the Element been MIA for quite awhile?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It has been quiet a while:

Model Central - 2004 Honda Element

The CR-V and Odyssey have been updated for '05, so I suspect the Element won't be far behind.

Steve, Host
  • jprezjprez Member Posts: 4
    I love everything about the Element except its ground clearance! Does anyone out there know if larger diameter wheels and tires can be installed without any problems? If I could get at least another inch of clearance it would be great. Plan to drive to some old Arizona ghost towns and mining towns and a hi clearance vehicle is required to some of these.
    Plan to drive to some old Arizona ghost towns and mining towns and a hi clearance vehicle is required to some of these.

Hey, I did some of those towns in a Datsun B-210! Of course, I was a bit younger then! :-)

tidester, host
  • linkmenlinkmen Member Posts: 1
    I have an AWD Element and love it. Just over year old. No problem in snow, I'm in Upstate NY. I Haven't seen this covered at all,and I checked past posts. My question is this. At times when I take my foot off gas, car seems to act like brakes are on and noticeably slows down. This happens at any speed. (I have OD on. I will even turn it off when this occurs just to verify that it's operating.) Sometimes the car will shift, I believe the converter is locking up. Other times when I remove my foot the car will coast without any drag at all. The dealer has found nothing. What I also noticed is that my millage decreases when this occurs. I'm not sure at what speed the converter is supposed to lock up,and for all I know it just may be me and this is normal. Has anyone noticed this?

Thanks in advance.
    I dunno, the tires are already bigger than the CR-V, so I'm not sure how much more space there is for even taller tires.

Plus that will make the gearing taller, so it'll slow it down off the line some more.

-juice
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    To 04 and 05 owners, may I ask you the different between these 2 year models? The lenght of 05 is a bit longer than the 04's. What's change? Is it worth to save 15K to get last year's model? Thank you for your input.

Luk
    Well tidestar I'm 62. Just bought a satellite phone in case I get stuck out there if I go with the Element AWD. Looks like the 04 and older Tacomas in Pre Runner and 4WD have enough ground clearance you could drive a tank under them! But not very good on gas mileage! Having a real hard time deciding. The dog will have an easier time getting into the Element, and me too for that matter, that may be the deciding factor.
    Just remember to take plenty of water, camping supplies (blankets, food, extra clothing etc.), first aid and spare batteries! Oh, did I mention taking plenty of water with you? :-)

tidester, host
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    I don't understand what the issue is with this vehicle/ what are you used to driving that this is a personal issue for you?

You obviously haven't had to attempt to drive my mom's neon over the speedbumps in my sister's apartment complex

~OUCH!~
  • hairyhairy Member Posts: 1
    Do you really mean that you could get it for $15K less? For about $6K instead of about $21K?

Tell me where.
    Thanks for the ground clearance feed back, maybe I am making too big an issue of it. For info Element 6.9,Reg cab 05 Toyota 8.1,Pre-Runner 9.5,4wd 9.4, Tucson 7.7,Colorado 8.4. The Element gets better mileage than all these and has more interior utility as well. I'm going to let the dog decide!
    I've been off-roading (more like dirt-trailing) on a trip where an Element owner followed us. The E did fine. We traversed rutted trails, washouts, a few rocky patches, and a few spots with standing water. Nothing technical, but we scampered over a few 8-12" obstacles.

That said, if you're hung up on ground clearance, try the CR-V. Functionally it's very similar to the Element, but it rides on 8.1" of clearance.
  • buddodobuddodo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2 wheel drive EX, and the dealer that sold my Element drives one. He told me that I need to leave it in overdrive? I don't know much about cars, except for GO GO GO. What is overdrive, and what impact does it have on city driving as well as gas mileage by having it on continuously? Does anyone else do this? What potential problems do you see with me having it on constantly?

Thanks,
    Bud
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    I have a 4wd Element EX (2004) and leave it in Overdrive all the time. Overdrive is a gearing ratio where the engine turn less than one revolution for every revolution of the transmission (driving the running gear.) For example, most cars engine/transmission run in a 1.0 to 1.0 ratio in 3rd gear; when you are in overdrive, the ratio usually changes to something like .75 to 1.0 This allows your engine to turn are lower revs, saving gas, while still allowing for top speed and performance. Hope this helps.
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    I believe towing would be the only situation in which you'd want to make sure overdrive was off. Under load and especially on inclines, your transmission may shift back and forth or "hunt" between O/D and D, putting a strain on the system.
  • beakerbeaker Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a red element with black panels. I am having a very difficult time keeping the panels clean. After washing the E the panels still show traces of dirt, like shadows where the dirt used to be. I only drive on paved roads, the E gets dirty only when it rains, and I wash it as soon as possible. Any suggestions on a product that will clean the panels nicely? Does Honda make such a product?
  • mwallacemwallace Member Posts: 1
    The driver seat on my Element has moved since the day I bought the car two years ago. My Honda dealer claimns that is the way the seat is designed. Every time I accelerate or apply the brakes, the driver seat moves or kinda clicks and has a slight jerk feeling. I can't believe this is normal. Never experienced it in any other car I have driven. Anybody else experiencing this? What are you doing about it?
    Wasn't there a recall on the CR-V's seats early on? Might want to do a search for that, see if it ever applied to the Element.

I wonder if those are oil stains on the panels. To get old wax residue off my Forester's cladding I actually use peanut butter.

Just don't eat it afterwards!

-juice
    Did you guys get the new CR Auto Issue? #1 highest customer satisfaction in the small SUV class was the Element. Forester took a close 2nd.

-juice
    Like Juice suggested, you might try peanut butter or even toothpaste. Both a very mild abrasives.

On the other hand, there are products like Back to Black which are somewhat like wax for plastics. They can help prevent discoloration from oils.
    There was a TSB for the CR-V regarding a seat bushing that could wear out quickly. There could be something similar for the Element.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I think Honda makes a product that will clean and protect the panels. I will buy it when I pick up my 2005 red ex AWD on Saturday. I agree that cladding camn be hard to clean. My present 2002 CRV has the optional cladding and it is a pain in the butt to keep clean !
  • newmexico1newmexico1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the floor dimensions and doorway dimensions for the back end of the Element, without the rear seats? I can't find measurements for the cargo area on the Honda site (only sq.ft.). I need to transport an electric mobility scooter - about 50" long, 40" high before folding down, and 24" wide. I will need to install a lift device to crank it into the cargo area. I wonder if it would fit with one rear seat removed. I'm liking the Element more than a minivan for this purpose. Thanks for your help. Bill
    If you subscribe to Consumer Reports, they do a "biggest box" measurement. That has the minimum width, height, and length of a box that would fit in the cargo area (and fit into the opening).

That would answer your question.

-juice
  • buddodobuddodo Member Posts: 4
    I am loving my Element! I have had it for about 3 weeks now, and its great for my 1st vehicle! One thing I must say though, I get the worse comments on it. They always include 2 words.. ugly and box. I just let them talk. Me and my baby are gonna shine!

I got my Element on 2/19. It had 7 miles on it. My first fill up was at 288 with 11.672 gallons. I had to fill up today 3/9 at 540 when the gas light came on. I travelled 252 miles. Divide that by 11.672, and that's a MPG of 21.59. 50/50 Highway/City. I am very happy with that. Coming from a '99 Jeep GC with 15 MPG. I can't complain at all! I hope the next tank I can squeeze an extra mile out of it! I have a question though. Has anyone seen any improvement in mileage with changing fuel octanes? I am using 87. With the recent hike in gas prices, I won't be changing anytime soon, but just a thought. Also does anyone have an cold air intake installed on their E. If so what's the mileage like now?

Ok now other questions...

Also how long does it take to wear an engine in?

What mileage is recommended for an oil change?
    I was thinking 1500 to get the metal fillings out of the oil, but my friend has an '05 Accord and she said the dealership stated 3500 miles.

What brand of oil do you recommend?

Is it okay to start my first oil change on a synthetic oil?

Any reponses are appreciated.

-Buddodo
    Tell them you got the optional mirror finish and that in fact they are looking at themselves.

LOL

1000 miles for break-in is industry standard. Try to keep it under 4000rpm and don't use cruise control, vary rpms instead.

Does Honda use break-in oil? I read they did. If that's the case I'd advise against changing the oil early. Manufacturing tolerances are so tight that metal shavings are likely few and far between.

What are the ratings up to now, SH?

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Read your manual regarding break in and the first oil change.

IIRC, Honda says take it easy for the first 1000 miles and that they do use break in oil so follow Honda's recommendation - not the dealer.
  • rhody_marcorhody_marco Member Posts: 21
    We just purchased a new '05 Forester X, and are now considering an 05 Element as a second car. I really like the boxy interior. I'd remove the rear seats altogether to fit yard sale bargains and other goodies.

My questions...

The new side-crash results were disappointing. Any idea if Honda plans to address this, say with standard side airbags ?

The cargo capacity is kinda' low at 650 pounds, does anyone know if Honda plans on addressing this, as well ?

We got the Forester for 18.6K (I refused to pay dealer/delivery charges). It came standard with AWD, side air bags, power everything, cruise, ABS, 4-speed auto, roof rack with cross bars, full-service spare, and remote entry. Can I get a comprably-equipped Element for that price ?

Thanks.

Marco
    Side airbags (both curtain and seat-mounted) will be standard with the '06 model year. That's probably at least 6 months away, though. Until then, you can get the seat-mounted bags as an option.

I doubt very much Honda is going to address the 650 lbs limit. Most folks ignore it and it saves Honda from liability. What incentive is there for them to change it?
    Ignore it ? Would that not be hard on the brakes and suspension ?

As far as an incentive...the Forester is rated for 300 pounds more. Would not the competition spur them to make necessary improvenebts ?

My wife and I hauled 10 bags of wood pellets last month, and the Subaru laughed at it. We didn't even have to fold the rear seats down. Trying this in the Element would push it over the weight limit.

It seems a shame that the Element's rugged cargo area and interior dimensions are limited by weight capacity on par with a Chevy Chevette.
    You think that's bad, my Miata's payload is 360 lbs. ;-)

My suggestion would be to use the Forester when you think you're going to haul a lot of mass.

-juice
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said, in part:

"My questions...

The new side-crash results were disappointing. Any idea if Honda plans to address this, say with standard side airbags ? "

Honda has a new safety program called "Saftey for All;" from what I understand they intend to incorporate antilock brakes, side curtain airbags, and vehicle stability control in ALL their vehicles in the next few years.

On a more immediate note, the 2004 CR-V failed the IIHS side impact test, so for 2005 Honda beefed up the metal around the doors and added both side curtain and side torso airbags. Results? Passes in '05. Honda announced the addition of the air bags, ABS, and VSC for 2005, but didn't mention the frame reinforcements (it's in the IIHS notes on their website).

My guess is Honda will roll out the triumvirate of ABS, VSC, and side curtain on the Element for '06. Right now it is a question of what consumers are willing to pay, and parts suppliers ramping up their production lines to meet demand, on 100% of vehicles, for parts that were on probably less than 2% of vehicles.

Keep in mind that the IIHS test is almost absurdly severe. The Feds test for impact of a midsize car on the side - already a stiff test - and IIHS tests a much heavier pickup with higher ride height, above the federally mandated side door beams. On the other hand, we've always known in our heart of hearts that t-bone accidents, as they are called, are almost certainly fatal. The IIHS tests show a way to survive, so actually it's pretty amazing. And what's really amazing is how much survivability depends on side curtain airbags, and not much additional frame beefing. Who woulda thunk it?

Vote with your dollars, buy CR-V's this year (if you need to buy this year!) and Elements next year (if they get upgraded).
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I wonder about the Element especially since it was originally designed before side curtain airbags were considered:

"with the exception of a small number of specialty vehicles"

I wouldn't be surprised if the simply make the now optional seat-mounted side airbags and ABS standard rather than go through the cost of side curtain airbags on a vehicle that may be fully redesigned in less than 2 years.
    I was T-boned ten years ago driving a 1989 Honda Civic 4-door. The Ford F-150 that hit me was doing about 50 MPH. The car salesman driving it had forgotten to turn on his headlights before he left the dealership. He was delivering the truck to a waiting customer at another dealership. It was dark; the road had no streetlights. He had travelled only two miles when I pulled out right in front of him. The last thing I saw was my side marker light reflecting off the new Ford's nice shiny grille.

The Ford rammed squarely into the driver's side - centering on the pillar between the front and back doors. I was hit so hard the front passenger door blew open. Good thing I was wearing my seatbelt. Otherwise, I'd have shot out like a cannonball. The Civic engine raced upon impact. Could I have been airborne ?

After the collision, the engine was still runnnng with the transmission in gear. However, the car wasn't moving. I felt myself blacking out, so I quickly put the car in park, and killed the ignition.

Seconds later, sight and sound began returning. I could see headlights of other cars now. There were crunchy bits of something in my mouth that I instinctively spat out. It took me a moment to realise that someone was calling me - asking if I was okay. I tried opening the window, only to discover that the glass was totally gone. I had been spitting out what remained of it. I weakly answered the voice, "Get a doctor".

By the time the ambulance arrived I was fully conscious, and in pain. I felt like I could walk, yet the EMT's said I should let them put me on a stretcher and take me to the hospital.

I wound up with a couple of badly bruised ribs and glass cuts. I walked out of the hospital two hours later - still spitting glass. For the next month, every sneeze was a new experince in pain.

My trusty old '89 Civic was a totalled. Yet I wasn't. The car had no airbags of any kind. I don't know how well it did on side impact government crash tests - or if any were performed in 1989.

I do know that I survived.

I wonder...would I have fared as well driving a Honda Element on that dark night ?
    " Would that not be hard on the brakes and suspension ?"

Don't know. All I know is that plenty of owners have violated the 650 lbs mark. I'm not recommending it. Just saying that people do it.

The fact that people do it suggests they are ignoring the limits. Hence they are doing, more or less, whatever they want with the car.

If they are doing what they want, and Honda is protected from liability, that's a win/win situation for Honda. The owners are happy. And Honda is not liable for anything if the owner goes overboard. Why would they mess with that?

I'm just answering your question. If Honda were my company, I might do things differently... but it's not. I don't get to make the rules.

If it makes you happier, a CR-V has nearly the same interior capacity, all the safety hardware, and an extra 250 lbs capacity. Are you sure you're looking at the right vehicle?
    http://esuvee.com/

Talks about overloading, weight disbribution, etc. Take it FWIW, the premise is kinda silly.

-juice
    I looked at the Honda web link again and it says "before the end of calendar year 2006."
    By that time, the completely redesigned 2007 Element will be out.
    That probably means they won't bother with side curtain airbags for the current design of the Element.
  • lovemysubielovemysubie Member Posts: 2
    Today I was returning from shopping and came across an accident involving an Element. It was on its side; it was hit by a BMW. Don't know exactly what happened, but it wasn't a pretty sight. They definitely need side airbags...
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Marco,
    Reading between the lines here....I'd say you need to purchase another Suby instead of making all the negative remarks concerning the Element. My guess is that your yard sale items will fit just perfect in the suby....plus look at all the weight it can carry. Why would you even consider a Element when you have only negative things to say concerning it? Save your money and buy the Chevette!
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    I'm interested in where this happened? Can you provide details like State, City, street location?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    They could add side curtains to the Element. The CRV was introduced in 02 without curtains and received them with the 05 refresh. Wouldn't be out of the question for the Element to get them for 06 since it was introduced as a 2003 model.
    Maybe, but the Element has a unique design. Honda's commitment isn't until the end of calendar year 2006 for a reason.
    Maybe the suicide doors or something else about the design of the Element precludes installation of effective side curtain airbags.
  • indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    Please be aware that side reinforcements are also an intergual part of safety in side impact accidents. IIHS failed several cars that had side air bags but lacked adaquate side structure reinforcement.
  • tankbrotankbro Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

Recently my wife and I began searching for a new vehicle. Initially we were impressed with the new Ridgeline and even took one for a test-drive on March 3rd. Just the other day my wife received a job offer that will require lots of driving, with $.40 per mile driving compensation on top of her salary. Of course a vehicle that gets better mileage will result in more money for us due to the offset of mileage compensation and fuel prices. Because of this, the Element is back in our evaluation, maybe.

I was under the impression that the 2005 Element was safer than previous models, due to the side airbags coming standard. After reading a few posts on this site, I’ve come to realize I don’t completely understand the ins and outs of airbags, especially with regard to curtain-style air bags. What advantage/disadvantage do the side airbags versus curtain airbags versus a combination of he two have? Please help me understand the differences or point me to some good reading on the subject, if possible. I would hate to choose the Element knowing that a Ridgeline would provide more occupant safety.