Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    In the past, Honda has waited till December to release the new year's Element.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I know the first year was released late .... or was it early .... Hmmm ... I am too young to be suffering from STM loss ....
  • amy7amy7 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: im thinking seriously of purchasing an '05 element 2wd ex. test drove it yesterday and loved it. should i hold back until the '06s are out just in case of possible new incentives on the '05s. any suggestions?
  • tabjrtabjr Member Posts: 4
    I've only had my '05 Element 4WD EX auto for a couple of months and have put 1500 miles on it. My problem is with gas mileage...I'm only getting about 13 mpg in around town driving, mostly city streets. The AC is on since it's hot here in DC. On a recent highway trip, I got about 22 which would be OK but the city mileage is a let down. Will it get better?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Honda adds features every year - some new, some that used to be options. I urge you to wait for the 2006. Very likely it will have stability control and side curtain airbags, features introduced last year on the CR-V. Honda can't afford to let the Element languish when the CR-V has so many extra safety features, especially now that the Insurance Institute is starting to side-crash vehicles and up the ante.

Basically, I would have gotten an Element in January of this year (2005) if it had come equipped with the safety features on the CR-V; but I couldn't wait quite so long. You are almost into the 2006's - hold tight or you'll kick yourself in 3 years!
    Your mileage is in line with typical Consumer Reports tests which show, for most vehicles, terrible city mileage, and mixed mileage about 5 mpg or so below EPA reports. People don't realize how terrible mileage can be in the city - really in the city - especially if you don't baby the accelerator. You are about 2-3 mpg under the highway mileage rating, which could be due to discrepancy in tank fill ups etc. or could be due to a lead foot.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your vehicle....remember it is 3200 pounds, not a 2600 pound economy car, and 4WD does knock down the mileage.
    I too would like to see the CR-V saftey features on the Element in addition to the 5 speed auto. But wishing is not enough to make it so.

I am assuming the 06s will arrive in December. Any other intel suggesting earlier?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The original release date was mid November, 2002. That was a 2003 model year. I would expect the same month for the MMC (give or take 2 weeks).
  • mciadmciad Member Posts: 5
    I hope I am in the correct forum, but . . .

I am looking for an aftermarket Compass/Temperature display, either in the rearview mirror or something to install on the dash. Since Honda does not offer one, I have been searching for something, but have come up with nothing.

Any help is appreciated . . .

Michael
    Thanks, Varmit. I am trying to remember when they announce the feature changes for the year. I think last year I think it was Sep 1.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They say that for a reason. When you're sitting idling you are getting 0mpg. Do that enough and even a Toyota Echo will seem inefficient.

Hybrids are capable of shutting off engines at idle, so there's your exception. Even then, turn on the A/C and those get 0 mpg also.

-juice
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    I've been considering minivans and the Mazda5 mini-minivan for my upcoming vehicle purchase (this fall) but I have recently taken another look at the Element. I don't have kids but I do have a large German Shepherd and I like to go cycling on the weekends. Are any of you Element-owners cyclists, and if so, can you fit your bikes in the back with the seats folded without taking off the front wheel? I would ideally like a vehicle that I could just stash the bike in and go.

Also, what's your average gas mileage like?

Charlotte
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    I don't have a bike but I did just measure the distance from inside rear hatch to middle console and it's 65". That's with both back seats in the Element folded flat and then raised against each wall. In the mountains of NC I'm getting 20 to 24 on rural back roads. EX with AWD.
  • north1north1 Member Posts: 11
    I frequently use the rear of my element for bike storage without removing the front wheel. I do have to angle my bike to have it fit as I ride with a very high seat post but the cavern like interior is a good match for a quick stash. I did look out outfitting with a thule rack but no real need since the bike can go inside....It would be a much tighter fit if you planned on putting multiple bikes back there...if that was a concern I would look at the roof rack...
  • dogmobiledogmobile Member Posts: 1
    I found a 13' fiberglass Scamp camper that will weigh 1300 lbs. fully loaded, just 200 lbs. under the Element's 1500 towing capacity.

I'll be taking 8-12 weekend trips a year in New England.

Do I need to have anything done to the Element other than have the Honda dealership add the ball hitch? It's an automatic, so I'm worried about damaging the transmission, but don't want to trade the Element in for another vehicle.
    I've only had the Element a year and hope to keep it long-term, it's a perfect vehicle for hauling dogs and home repair stuff.

Element Lover
  • survivorssurvivors Member Posts: 2
    Thought you all would like to know how we fared in a nasty crash with our new Element.

After lurking and reading all your messages for months we bought an 05 Element, red, and hubby added just about ever accessory (except the cabana) he could get.

Ten days later while cruising thru the rural vineyard on a 2 way road with gravel shoulders an oncoming car drifted off the edge went out of control and we had no where to go. Hubby slammed on the breaks...abs worked great and we t-boned the Honda sedan. We are battered and bruised and I have some broken ribs and a concussion from the seatbelt and airbags but EVERYONE is very impressed with they way the Element performed. Highway Patrol Officer says that new technology is the only thing that saved us. Sadly, the couple in the Honda sedan did not survive, that tells you how severe the collision was.

So, if any of you are wondering if this is a safe vehicle we'd have to say it definitely lives up to the 5 star rating. That little red box died for us, just the way it was designed. Now we wait to see if the insurance has the nerve to try and depreciate a 10 day old car.

Be safe out there!!

Survivors
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I have a Gentex model in my 2003 CR-V, Compass and Temperature. About 250 for parts. Do a web search on Gentex Rear View Mirror.
    "Now we wait to see if the insurance has the nerve to try and depreciate a 10 day old car. "

Sorry to hear of your accident. Your "E" depreciated the moment you drove it off the dealer lot. Do you have "gap insurance"?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Depending on how much you paid for the Element, you may actually MAKE money on the car. Make sure you list all the acessories and the cost. The insurance company has the obligation to give you replacement cost for the vehicle. Especially since you weren't at fault. I'd make sure that you lose nothing on this accident.

My wife totalled a 3 week old Civic Si. We ended up with another Civic and an extra bit of gas money.
    Glad you are OK but it's awful the other couple did not survive.

FWIW: My Si protected me in my collision as well. A Grand AM turned out in front of me and I hit her passenger side fender at about 45 MPH. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured.

Don't forget to ask for sales tax. And like Gee said, if you don't have a copy of the accessory list for your car contact your dealer and see if they have one on file. And take pictures of the car and the accident site.
    Wow, glad you were OK. Sorry to hear about the other car. :(

-juice
  • tdibluestdiblues Member Posts: 7
    I just got my "Orange Elephant" 2005 EX manual Element a week ago & am loving it. While I am very sorry to hear about the crash above, I am glad to know the Element held up so well. The only safety feature it doesn't have are day running lights, but I have heard that you can get them & install on your own. Can anyone provide info to point me in the right direction to do so?

Thanks!
    You could try the stalk to the left of the steering wheel.
    Can't beat the price, it's already "installed", and in excellent working condition!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    :)
  • tdibluestdiblues Member Posts: 7
    I know, I know.... I have made the same joke to myself.

I just traded in a VW which had day running lights that I didn't have to think about. Old habits die hard. Plus, I am having a hell of a time remembering to release the emergency brake every time I start the car! (But I have no problem remembering to engage it, apparently.) Finding a gadget to install is the easy way out.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    The least on my '03 Nissan Maxima is going to be up in about another month and I've decided to purchase something instead of leasing again. I have a '92 Accord EX that I have owned since new and use it as a commuter. I'll probably hang on to the Accord (my grandpa gave it to my for high school graduation, so it has sentimental value), but I'd like the my new car to fill the commuter role as well as be versatile and functional. The Element seems to fit the bill almost exactly.

My questions are mainly about comfort and performance. How comfortable is the Element for a two hour (or more) highway trip? FYI- I'm 6'2" 250# so some cars are definitely more comfortable than others for me. I'm thinking the FWD model would be sufficient for me (though I do wish it had the sunroof(s) available). In real world experience, does that automatic have enough power for highway driving or should I be thinking about the 5-speed manual instead? What about the EX stereo, is it as good as I've heard? I do love that it has an aux port for my iPod. Very cool.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    First off, you probably won't have any space issues driving the Element. Headroom in front is spacious. As the owner, you probably don't plan on doing much riding in the back seats. Back there, the seats are a positioned a little higher so there's less headroom than up front. Legroom in back is great, though. You may find if you look back on this discussion thread that some complaints (not many, but some) have been made about FWD as opposed to AWD in that the engine's torque causes the front wheels to lose traction in slippery conditions and spin on FWD models. I can't speak to manual vs. automatic. The auto seems powerful enough, but that's probably a very subjective topic. You really need to get in for a test drive.
    I think this is a pretty big change. They are very different cars. I would suggest a long and thorough test drive to see if you'd still be comfortable. Maxima has a cockpit feel, so the Element might almost feel like sitting on a bar stool in comparison.

You may or may not like it, but make sure before you take the dive and buy one.

-juice
  • phily99phily99 Member Posts: 8
    I'm 6' 2" 200# and could use another notch in seat adj, but my son is 6' 4'' 230# and thinks it's perfect, he liked mine so much he traded his nissan in on one. For longer rides I'll take the upright position over any other for comfort. The element works well for the long drive. We both have standard shift because it's so much more fun to drive. However for just highway driving I'd probably go for an automatic. @70mph I'm turning 3500rpm's, nice torque but not the best for fuel economy but it seems to love 70-75 mph with an occasional kick to 80+ but this is not a race car. It's niche would seem to be suburban driving with some highway mix. By comparison my wifes '05 chrysler 300 is just pushing 2,000 rpm @ 75mph with lots of pedal left and quiet as a mouse. She loves it - I'll fall asleep. For fun I'll take my element any day.
    But everyones got their own opinion and as someone else said "Test drive one"
    if in doubt, see if you can rent one for a day or two.
  • folsomfolsom Member Posts: 2
    When I let off the accelerator on my new Element I notice that I get some engine braking - it's like the car downshifts. It's noticeable at all speeds, and it makes the car seem to lurch when I step back on the accelerator. Does anybody else get this behaviour? I didn't notice this when I did a test drive so I don't know if this is normal.
    I notice a downshift on our CR-V, but mostly when descending hills, not on the flat freeway. We do have a 5 speed auto, so its probably not as noticeable as on the 4 speed.
    "When I let off the accelerator on my new Element I notice that I get some engine braking - it's like the car downshifts. It's noticeable at all speeds, and it makes the car seem to lurch when I step back on the accelerator. Does anybody else get this behaviour? I didn't notice this when I did a test drive so I don't know if this is normal."

I have this happening on my 2003 CR-V. I think it is just Honda engineering. They keep the RPMs high rather than let the car coast. I especially miss "coasting" while driving in town, when I often slow down to meet the next stoplight, only to see my RPMs jump back up to 1500 or so at a minimum. I suppose they are trying to make the car more responsive when I push the accelerator, but what they are doing in my mind is wasting gas.
  • folsomfolsom Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the replies. I was worried that something was wrong with the car.
  • tabjrtabjr Member Posts: 4
    I routinely fit two bikes in side by side with both rear seats up and without taking off the front wheels. I have to angle one of them a bit due to the high seat position but once it gets through the rear hatch opening, it's fine. Even if I had to lower the seat, that beats taking the front wheel off.
  • haikunaluhaikunalu Member Posts: 8
    Are the dealer installed roof racks worth it? I've used the removable soft foam racks for surfboards for years and they're only $20-$25. I know i will be able to fit my board inside but on the occasions when my daughter and a friend want to surf with me ill need a rack or one of them will need to ride on the floor lol.
  • survivorssurvivors Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Well, insurance has settled the crash at no cost to us and now we are debating whether to get another 05 or wait for the 06.

Has anyone got info on whether there will be additional safety features or new colors? I expect to see corvette yellow at some point, heck the H2 looks great in it. While we liked the red, we might like another color as well, or better. And I don't have to tell you all that any additional safety features would now be even more appreciated in this household.

We also have a shade screen for the sunroof that never got installed as we were debating on whether we wanted to mount it in the headliner or just have the glass tinted with limo tint. Has anyone done that, does it look like it would pull the headliner down with repeated use? We need something to shade the grandbabies in the rear seat.

Be safe,

Survivors
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    If you want a 2006, you may need to wait until at least December since the Elements have been coming out much later than other Hondas.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Here's a list of colors I've seen for the 2006-

Atomic Blue Metal
    Nighthawk Black Pearl
    Kiwi Metallic
    Rallye Red
    Alabaster Silver Metallic
    Tangerine Metallic

I hope they offer Cargo Khaki or something close again. I love that! There is also a new wheel design and rumor has it painted panels (instead of gray, black or blue) will be available on some colors of the EX model. Personally, I think that will take away some of the Element's uniqueness.
    I bet that one will look cool, that's new, right?

They should do a yellow one, seriously.

-juice
  • smoot1138smoot1138 Member Posts: 15
    Finally a pic is released! Not too keen on the idea though :(
    Makes the iconoclast Element look more like a mediocre Jeep. If all the 2006's have painted panels, I'm going to go for the Cargo Khaki 2005.

http://www.hondapreview.com/element/

:D

Smoot ">
    I think it loses a *lot* of its quirky character.

I prefer the unpainted ones.

-juice
    I agree. I like the unpainted panels more.
    They are an option on certain models, not a requirement.

I think the color shown in that pic is just a bad choice. I've seen several custom paint jobs in other colors. Looks very nice.
    But I prefer all or nothing. The painted ones I've seen paint all the panels the same color, and that can look pretty good.

I just don't like the half-way look.

-juice
    I've seen one custom paint job with the paint not covering the lowest portion of the fender. It still looks better than the one in that pic. Keep in mind, the camera angle for that photo is one you'd rarely see in person. Most of the time, you're looking down at a car.
  • toastedtoasted Member Posts: 1
    Just got my Khaki Cargo Ex yesterday. Boy do I love driving it! Hope the love affair continues for a loooooong time! :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just in time for the weekend - congrats!

Please post details about your deal over in Honda Element: Prices Paid & Buying Experience. Thanks,

Steve, Host
    Ordered my 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet today in Seal Grey. It's due sometime in December. When it's delivered I think I'll post a pic here of it alongside my wonderful 2005 Honda Element in Khaki.
    :)
    Well according to the NHSTA site it does not look like the 2006 gets VSA. Any word on the 5 speed auto from the CR-V?
  • big_catbig_cat Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know that the OEM standard single CD player plays MP3 or not?
    Thanks in advance.
    Final details are out on just about all 2006 Hondas EXCEPT the Element.

If anyone sees final details on features for the '06 Honda Element, please post them here.