Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    After a year of trying to convince the wife to look at the Element(she thinks its ugly but I love it) and after a dissapointing test drive of the Mazda 5, I finally got her to say, OK lets go test drive an Element so you'll just shut up.

We're supposed to go in tonight to check it out and after studying the website it appears they are 4 passengers only? Is this true? She's gonna strike it down in an instant since she takes 4 kids to school every day.

So close yet so far :-(

Craig
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    My wife and I are opposite of you and your wife. My wife loves the Element, and I found it to be ugly. However, we looked at one at the auto show last month, and I have been converted. We are buying a new vehicle this spring, and the Element has made the cut to our final 3 contestants.

To answer your other question, from looking at it at the auto show, the back seat can only handle 2. That is mainly because of the way the seat was desined to split at the center and fold up against each side of the vehicle. Maybe you and your wife could meet at the middle at the CR-V????
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    1racefan is right. The two rear seats are separated by plastic trim and cupholders. There is no seatroom or seatbelt for a fifth person. Four is the max.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    My in-laws have an AWD CR-V. I have driven it before with 5 adults in it, and the engine performance isn't nearly as strong as it is with 2 or 3 adults in it.

The Element has the same engine as the CR-V, so I would imagine it would probably be a little sluggish with 5 adults as well (assuming 5 adults could fit to begin with). However, If your wife hauls around 4 small kids, I guess that would be a different situation.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can't carry 5 people regardless of adults or children in an Element, so if that is a requirement, the Element is not a choice to consider.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Try a CR-V instead, as mentioned above. Or maybe a new RAV4 once those are out, they even offer a 3rd row now.

-juice
  • angietnangietn Member Posts: 2
    Demographics blown again!! 58 yr old disabled woman interested in an Element but with some concerns.
    Thought I saw a number of posts a while back about modification of Element for purpose of scooter/wheelchair lift but spent an hr looking tonight and can't find 'em.
    11 yrs drove a white Corolla, traded it l0 yrs ago for another white Corolla, both served magnificently but too low and small for my present needs. Ready to trade, have mobility issues due to Rheumatoid Arthritis. No need for towing or off roading ability or need of room for dogs or little kids (love both just don't have any now) Test drove a Pre owned Element and found it quite easy to access driver side and comfortable seating, rigid and stiff is actually a plus for me. Possibility of need in future for use of scooter or wheelchair. What does anyone think about adding a Wheelchair lift to the back of an Element? Got one opinion from a mobility company. Said it can be done because of the high roof and wide back hatch of an Element. Anyone ever tried this with success? The mobility person, by the way, said if not Element need to consider MiniVan, other SUV's likely won't work. Only purchase cars each 10 years, would rather not buy anything as expensive or large as minivan. Trying to do my homework. Thanks for opinions.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Hey there,

Go to Google and enter the search terms "wheelchair lift Honda Element". It brings up a good many results and you can see if you're able to find the info you're looking for. I'm sure there are companies that can install them into the Element. It's actually perfect for something like that, particularly with the rear seats removed.

Good luck!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you put "wheelchair" in the Search This Discussion box you'll get a few hits.

Honda has a Customer Mobility Assistance program that offers up to $1,000 reimbursement.

We have a Mobility Guide that may help too.

Finally, there's a Best Vehicles & Modifications for Disabled Drivers discussion in the archives that may have some helpful links (feel free to ask claires, the host over there to reopen it if you like - I know it's focused on minivans but ....).

Steve, Host
  • angietnangietn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks allfiredup and Steve-great info, I am checking it out now.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    One potential issue to pay attention with the Element is that it has a fairly low payload. That means that depending upon what equipment you get and how much it weighs, you may be very limited in carrying other people or cargo.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    It's nice to see, heart-warming actually, people helping other people wherever it happens. Good luck in your search angietn. I love my Element.
  • meganbmeganb Member Posts: 14
    i love our new Element...or lil E as we call her. oh, and Ruby...wow, ive turned into one of those people. yikes. :) hope you enjoy yours.
  • jpdolphinjpdolphin Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the Element and am wondering if any "vertically challenged" people out there have issues with the manual adjustment for the driver's seat?
    Do they offer any electrically adjustable seating?
    My wife loves the vehicle, but is only 5-1 and can't get the front seat high enough to see over the hood.
    Help!
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    jpdolphin -

My mom owns an E and is around the height of your wife. She loved the Element for its versatility and AWD but also had a problem with the seat height. When it came time to buy, she found there was a difference in the (perceived) seat height (both manual seats at max "up") between two otherwise-identical Elements. I tried them both and had to agree. Still, to make things better for her, she ended up buying a removable car seat cushion that gives her another inch or height, and that works well for her. I don't know if the current model offers electrically adjustable seating, but I just wanted to offer a low-tech alternative that may or may not work for your wife.
  • slarsonslarson Member Posts: 4
    I am also 5-1 and when I crank the seat up all the way with the round knob that is on the drivers seat on the right side I can see over the hood just fine.
    Sorry, there are technically no options for the Element. They obviously decided to go with a utilitarian sporty interior and not a luxurious one. For someone my size (6'2") it isn't a problem, but I could understand the height issue with someone smaller.
  • miffedmiffed Member Posts: 36
    I just purchased a 2005ex element. This is my second one I had a 2003ex before and it is the best car I've ever owned.
    I had 70,000 miles on my old one. I never had a problem with my 2003 it was a great vehicle. My new 2005 is red with black fenders. I just think if more people drove them we would see thousands on the roads. It is a great vehicle. I've read some postings on the subuaru vs the elements 4 wheel drive system. I live in the midwest one day it's sunny the next day there is 12" of snow and ice on the roads. I also hunt with this vehicle. I never have been stuck, slid out of control, nothing. I've plowed through 2 foot snow drifts with no problems. I've been in mud so sloppy it was flying on the windshield. No problems. My gas mileage varied from 22 in the winter to the best 29 in the summer. The average was about 24-25. I hope they continue to make this vehicle I will buy another one when this gets about 70,000 miles on it. I'm sure Subaru makes a nice vehicle but it's no toaster. The Subaru is too small and uncomfortable for me I wouldn't even consider one. I'm sure they make a good car. I'll take the toaster every time :)
  • miffedmiffed Member Posts: 36
    I bought a Mazda 5 for my wife. It was purchased on Sept 10 recalled on the 16. It was repurchased by the manufacturer in December. She now drives a 2006 CRV and loves it. :D
  • phily99phily99 Member Posts: 8
    Finally had an opportunity to see how this puppy handles in the snow. Only 5" but enough to slip & slide. It handled better than I expected. I have new BS Dueler AT's mounted so that helped alot. Since this replaced a 4wd Tahoe I wasn't expecting alot but I buzzed around a parking lot trying to break loose and it held very well. The only noticable difference was the 1/2 second of slipping before the other wheels kicked in. With the tahoe all wheels are always turning so you don't get the slipping feel. I also did this with 1000# cargo and empty. It felt secure either way. My only hesitation was in downshifting to brake especially when going downhill as I could in the tahoe. I'm not sure how that would work sine it would react as a FWD vehicle which would be "not good". I can live with this since my fuel went from $60-$70 to $30-$35 for the same cruise range. Cargo volume is not much smaller although max cargo weight is much smaller. I have been running 1,000 -1,500# which I would not recommend with factory tires, and with a manual shift I can control the strain on the engine better than an automatic. So far with over 15,000 miles on this '05 it has exceeded all my expectations. Total problems with this vehicle so far is zip zero nada. This is the only new vehicle I've ever owned that I haven't had some kind of problem in the first 10,000 mi except my 1971 VW (which I still own)Keep up the good work Honda and please work on increasing the cargo weight.
    I'm sure Subaru makes a nice vehicle but it's no toaster

That's ironic, because the other Subaru Crew Chief has a white Forester with the huge moonroof and they call it the Toaster because the slot in the roof looks like it could fit a giant piece of toast!

Plus the color is very appliance-like, they ought to call it Frigidaire White.

-juice
  • co_guy4913co_guy4913 Member Posts: 1
    Having owned older Honda and Acura models (1987 Prelude and 1991 Integra) with sliding moonroof / sunroof, do you think Honda will offer this type in the Element?

I have three dogs and have crossed-shopped the Element with the Subaru Forester (which has a GIANT moonroof / sunroof) and have narrowed my choice to these two.

I like the reliability that is afforded by Honda but have grown accustomed to the open-air feeling.

So, what do you think?
    I'd like to see that option too, but Element's price makes it cost-sensitive. I don't think it's even a power roof.

You can go aftermarket, ASC certifies places to install their power moonroofs. Both our hard tops have ASC roofs, but even I'd be afraid to chop an Element's roof given the reinforcements needed for the clamshell doors.

Get the Subie.

-juice
  • slarsonslarson Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone else got a trailer hitch put on their Element? I did and I use mine to pull a pop up camper with it! I have to admit with bumpy roads and pulling a 8 foot camper that bounces on the bumpy road make the car a little bumpy too but it handles it well! I still love my car and find it funny when others who own one will honk their horn, yell out the window, or give you a thumbs up or a wave when they see us driving ours! It is like we belong to some sort of club for cool people! LOL
  • smoot1138smoot1138 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there all!
    I was so loving the 05 Magnesium Metallic EX AT AWD but noticed the difference in specifications bewteen the 05 and 06 suspension. What IS an mcPherson Strut suspension as opposed to an independent one on the 05? What other differences are there that make the 06 better?

Thanks!
    Smoot
    The "independent" part is just a description, it just means one side of the axle travels independently of the other. The rear differential is fixed, so it can be a lot more compact.

This is as opposed to a live axle, for instance, where a movement on the left side of the axle affects the right side as well (one goes up, the other goes down, and both angles are affected). In this case the rear differential (aka "pumpkin") moves around with the suspension.

-juice
    Hi again,
    I'm going to my local Power Honda dealer within the week to buy my 06 E AWD EX auto. problem is, I've Googled til my eyes bled and I still can't seem to find sufficiant info on the colors like Alabaster White and Atominc Blue pearl. The colors on the Honda website look too airbrushed with added Photoshop and I don't want to be left umming and ahhing over color when at the dealership.
    Any site recommendations? Any piccies you guys have out there? otherwise my only option is Black.
    Ta muchly,
    Smoot :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think that any color you see on an internet browser will vary from monitor to monitor. I have two monitors on my desk and I can't get them to agree with each other. It's even tough to match colors in a printed brochure.

Not to mention that the Element is going to have varying shades in real life depending on the light. Even black can look purple in some light. :P

Go with the white. :-) And make sure you look at it in the lot and not just the showroom.

Steve, Host
    I've been complaining about the lack of color options on the '06 Element for months now. I'm not sure what Honda is thinking. The new Civic has the same problem.

From what is available, I like the Atomic Blue and Rallye Red best. Personally, I much prefer the standard EX with black body panels over the EX-P. I'd also stay away from "trendy" colors like Kiwi (Kermit Green) and Tangerine (Orange).

Too bad they don't have any greys or khakis like they did last year. Magnesium and Cargo Khaki were awesome looking colors on the Element. Even the Galapagos Green from last year was a decent color.

I think Honda should really offer a full palette of colors on each vehicle. It makes sense in my opinion. Instead it seems like they offer several colors that are very close like Tangerine, Tango Red and Rallye Red which are all derivatives of red. Just my opinion.
    I totally agree! The 06 colours are either bland as heck or too trying-to-be-trendy.....seriously it's like driving around the old style iMac.
    I've now gone off the Black and will probably choose a lighter colour {as advised my host Steve}. Hondaelement.org had a sweet series of pics of the Silver EX-P that someone posted.
    I'm still waiting for them to come out with a yellow one, the same color Hummer uses.

-juice
    Ok, so I saw the Silver EX-P AWD AT Element today...the darned thing is delicious! So I've decided.....finally!
    I'm just squeaking by on 5' 2" and test drove the Silver EX-P about an hour ago. I too was worried about seeing over the hood but to my surprise, I could see fine. Yes, the seat was pushed all the way forward but no problem viewing. I do wish they had seats on memory settings though. I'm 5' 2" and my hubby's 6' 5" so....well.... I guess he's not going to drive the car....EVER! :mad:
    Think I was pretty lucky to find one.
    There's a Magnesium in here where I live and I like that one too.
    p.s. My "other" vehicle is a 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (AWD) Cabriolet (convertible) and I love both my vehicles!
    :)
  • jadenisonjadenison Member Posts: 3
    I had decided to purchase a 2006 Element EX AWD AT several months ago. However with the new changes in the 2006 RAV4, I am now looking (or attempting to look) at the RAV4. What opinions are there on the Element vs. the 2006 RAV4, and the quality/reliability of Honda and Toyota vehicles? There seem to be advantages to each of the vehicles.
    I just got my February issue of Car & Driver and they had a comparison test of the Element EX-P, Scion xB, Chryler PT Cruiser GT and Chevrolet HHR. Amazingly, the Element came in 4th!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Here are the results-

4- Element
    3- HHR
    2- PT Cruiser
    1- Scion xB

Perhaps the Scion's pricetag had a lot to do with it, I dunno. The PT getting second is pretty absurd to me.

In my book, they'd be in this order-
    4- PT Cruiser
    3- Scion xB
    2- HHR
    1- Element

Good news, though. The Element sales for 2005 have held pretty steady. Sales are at 51k as of 11/05 vs. 55k as of 11/04 YTD.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I saw the C and D review as well.

There biggest issue was with the suicide door configuration - an automotive answer in search of a question is how they put it. I have to admit that I have considered an Element for a while as a family vehicle for my wife and 1 and soon to be 2 children. The hassles with opening the doors caused the C and D reviewers concerns as well because of the seat belt connection to the door and the need to open the front door to get the back door open.

The suicide door set up adds versatility and if the car is mainly used by 1 person and some cargo its a neat solution. But if the car is used routinely with multiple passengers, it can get to be a pain.

Here the xB does a little better because of its 5 door configuration.

I do think the xB feels cheaper and less substantial, ie less safe in a crash than an Element. It does have great front and rear seats but little cargo space. It seems like a good around town car but I am not sure I would trust my family to it - basically because to some degree, mass = safety and the Scion xB is a light weight vehicle without side airbags.

I find the xB intriguing because of its price, mileage and fucntionality but I am not sure I could actually pull the trigger on one.

The Honda Odyssey is the vehicle that makes the most sense for my family but for whatever reason I resist it. Maybe the CR-V, maybe an Acura RDX, Rav 4, or Pilot. But I always come back to the Odyssey for its interior space, safety and utility. I stubornly resist . . . .

If I had to guess, both the xB and Element are deliberately somewhat family unfriendly to push family-use purchasers to other more expensive vehicles and because the target market - younger people - are not as likely to have issues with the configuration.
    They should have tossed the Mazda5 in this test, too. I think it compares well with most of these cars.

As far as the xB, besides the center gauges and the fact that it feels very much like a $14k car, the powertrain would be a deal breaker for me. Especially with the automatic, it is painfully slow. I haven't driven the xB, but I have driven the mechanically identical xA in both manual and automatic. I guess they're a lot of car for the money, but I'm not impressed.

I can see how the suicide doors would make the Element less than user friendly for someone who routinely carries rear seat passengers. The fact that it's only a four seater doesn't help in that respect either. But for a single, 30- something guy like me, it'd be near perfect. And that Honda 2.4L is such a sweet engine.
    The xB has another downside - limited cargo space if the rear seats are in use. The trunk area is about 1 foot deep - room for a couple of duffles and that is it. The Element is much better in this regard.

I wish the CR-V was essentially a 5 door Element but it is not. I do not like the swinging rear door with full size spare on it and the front seat room is more limited. Hopefully something Honda will address with the redesign.

I agree, the Element is a very solid car for a single driver of any age who appreciates utility and value with a little uniqueness thrown in!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The reliability of the Honda is stellar as far as all reviews are concerned. Reliability has yet to be seen on the new RAV4, but I would imagine it to be wonderful as the old one.
    I can't really explain that finishing order, either. Look at the resale value of compact cars from Chevy and Chrysler - the public isn't in agreement with them.

Mazda5 is nice, fun to drive, too. CR put it on the very top of its tall wagon category, well ahead of the PT and HHR.

RAV4 has grown a bit, it's not a tad bigger than the CR-V, and correspondingly costs more. Element seats 4, RAV4 up to 7 people. How much do you want to spend?

-juice
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    Hi all, I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while as I've always been curious about Elements but never thought I'd actually own one. Well now I'm biting the bullet and doing it, I think it's a pretty good choice for commuting to work and piling all our sports gear into. The biggest drawback I suspect will be for my kids accessing the rear seats (but we also have a minivan for that kind of travel).

I see that in my area, online, there are about a dozen for sale, mostly 2003's and some 2005s. I would have liked to get a 2004 but none are around, so my first question is: Is the 2003 plagued by 1st-model-year bugs?

Of the dozen for sale only one is a standard, I prefer this over an automatic, but haven't actually driven one. Does the unusual shifter position take a lot of getting used to or is it annoying in any way?

Its battery looks to be an irregular shape and looks too small, how many amps (amp hrs) is it? I don't think I'd like it to whimp out on a -35C winter night when I'm out in the 'boonies', can it be replaced by a big honking AC delco?

Thanks,
    Ian
    I was considering a used Element a while back and the vast majority on the market were 2003 models simply because they're the oldest ones. I researched them a good bit and couldn't find any first year issues with that model. Honda usually does a good job in that area, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

One of the problems I had was trying to find a FWD manual EX. Out of 70+ for sale in the Atlanta area at the time, two were manual FWD EX and they were both colors I wouldn't consider (Orange and Dark Blue). As far as the shifter goes, I test drove a new one and the unusual position (coming out of the dash) becomes very comfortable quickly. It's actually a great spot for it. I also drove an automatic FWD and was surprised that it had plenty of power, but I just couldn't bring myself to get an automatic.

Have you searched for one every way possible? I'm not sure what sort of options you have in your area. Also, have you considered trying to get a deal on a remaining '05 model?
    Hi Ian,
    Have you tried your local library and the annual Car issue of "Consumer Reports"? In the back they list vehicles by model year with all those little black and red circles for everything from engine to clutch to fit and finish to reliability. If there were any problems with an Element model year it would show there.
    Anyone seen an orange EX-P yet? I have seen the green but not the orange.
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    Alright, I test drove a stick shift one today and I'm hooked. Having driven the standard there's no way I'd settle for an automatic - it was a lot of fun. Almost just as much fun was the young salesdude riding along desperately searching for complimentry things to say about the Element. I let him sweat it out for a while then finally let him off the hook by saying "relax buddy, I know it's on the ugly & geeky side, but it's fun to drive and what I need to haul my junk around". He breathed a sigh of relief.

I would have bought the one I test drove but it didn't have the rear sunroof.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ian
  • stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    I just saw one on display at the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Costco. I liked it - the orange color wasn't overly bright.
    My local dealer has one up on the elevated platform on the corner. It's a ghastly color, in my humble opinion. Then again, that Kiwi (green) is nasty, too.

Bring back the Cargo Khaki! That was a nice color.
    What color(s) are you thinking about?

It's funny that you have to make excuses to the salesman about the car (as far as being dorky) but I encounted the same sort of thing when I was looking at them. One salesman came right out and told me he thought it was "dog-ugly" but drove great and was very versatile.

It is definitely a love it/hate it look, but I love it. Kinda sad that I didn't end up buying one. I wonder if there will be a next generation model?
    Thanks - good to know they are out there. Right now the color I like best is the Rally Red.