Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Phaeton

Comments

• jb317jb317 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks vwguild,

I got my call from 'phaeton care' and they explained that you are correct. If I'd have bought the car in Europe or got one of the 'dozen' random models imported into the US I'd have RDS. With that installed I'd be able to read all the CD's. Once again US buyers of German cars get short changed! That said brilliant car!
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Astute Consumer... ;)
  • pluckonpluckon Member Posts: 12
    If I buy this car I don't care about the resale value because I'll have it essentially forever. All that will matter is how much I pay for it. So with that in mind, and with the car apparently being killed after 2006, can anyone advise me of a buying strategy? What are they going for now, and will there be "irrational" pricing on them at a later date?
  • bkpawsatbkpawsat Member Posts: 13
    I'm also on the lookout for a Phaeton bargain. Last Dec, the Virginia dealers were offering 04's, with 3000 demo models for about $53,000. VW had $10,000 plus $7000 in rebates to dealers that had three phaetons in stock. Given that they were so heavily discounted last year, I'm waiting to see what happens to the used 05's.

The Manheim wholesale auctions have many 04's selling for high $30's to low $40's. By the Spring, this car may be had used for $35,000 with low miles. Given that it will have terrible resale value, you'll have to get a great deal when you buy it and hold it for a long time. :shades:
  • paldipaldi Member Posts: 210
    I doubt it will go in the $35's with low miles. Really doubt it. They tack $5,000 on the auction prices retail... Owners know what they have!

">Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    This beautiful Phaeton has Bentley wheels p-shopped. But they do fit! It's a Bentley under the skin.
    I see a 2004 W-12 with 12,500 miles advertised on Auto Trader.com for $50K. Some questions: Does anyone think this will get much lower? Are there any differences between the '04s, the '05s and the '06s? And what about the W-12? Is it a meaningful difference between it and the V-8, or is a W-12 sort of like a 100 millimeter cigarette?
    Drinks gas but marvelous engineering and bragging rights. But you can only tell the difference by popping the hood or looking at the twin tail pipes in back. 2004 - 2006 pretty much the same but '05 and '06 $20k more. (special discounts for 1st 300 W12s sold in '04)

Visit VWVortex Phaeton for answers to all your questions.
    Just did a deal for a 2004 W-12 with 18,500 miles for $53K. Dealer's in the Midwest, I'm in Seattle so it'll be a while 'til I have the car. I'm salivating.
    Photoshop. Wheels will be installed next spring.
    Not so fast! Wait until I have mine installed. I just got them last week. There are fitment issues in the spare tire well - with binding at the jack, the wiring harness and an air extraction vent. There is also a difference in the wheel hub of the Bentley relative to the Phaeton that needs to be carefully thought out but the bolt pattern is evidently the same at 5x112 - so they will "fit" if that's all you care about. The tires are almost an inch wider and 2/3 of an inch taller than stock. This could cause an issue with the speedometer and clearences may be tight, especially in front. Heck, they are still in my living room except for the spare that is stuck in the trunk. :confuse:

Sure looked pretty in the photoshop... but wait a bit until I'm sure - I haven't tried to mount one on my Phaeton yet.
    If anyone else has tried this fitment, please let me know.

I am wondering if the Phaeton TPMS sensors will fit on the Bentley wheel and if the wider wheel and tire will necessatate a relocation of the TPMS antennas mounted on the Phaeton. The system has been tempermental and it's something you want to get right - else the alarm beep keeps going off. At present, my Phaeton doesn't recognize the Bentley spare tire that's in the trunk. I'm very confused about that. Also, will the Bentley TPMS sensors work with the Phaeton electronics?
    Regarding the hub fitment concerns... I have been looking at the Bentley wheels you shipped and the Phaeton spare wheel I have - all sitting here in my living room.

There is a taper machined around the hole for the wheel hub on both wheels. The taper has an OD of 2 7/8" on the Phaeton wheel and 2 3/4 on the Bentley and then they taper down into the hub hole in the wheel. If this tapered area fits tightly over the Phaeton wheel hub, then the Bentley tire will ride up on it and not fit flush with the face of the hub.

Another issue is there is a recessed circular "key" about the diameter of a quarter around one bolt hole at the mounting face on each Bentley wheel. The Phaeton wheels don't have it. Might be a worry if fitting Phaeton wheels on a Bentley but should be OK the other way? Unless I'm missing something. The idea that there are difference is what is worrying.
  • lowkeyluxlowkeylux Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I am new to this forum but it has ben EXTREMLY useful thus far. I am strongly considering purchasing a used 2004, V8 Phaeton, Nocturne Aubergine (burganday), Tan Interior, Comfort and Technology package. 12.5K miles and offered at 41,900 (I plan to offer lower). Any thoughts on the value ? How about future depreciation (although I don't expect to sell),

Thanks in advance
    That's a great price already with the two most important options and a beautiful and rare color. See a bunch of photos I posted on VWVortex. You will absolutely love this car. Hope you find also a great dealer for service.
    Thanks, We have one dealer here (austin, Tx) that is "approved" to sell Phaetons. I don't know much about them but they have been around for awhile. Can any VW service them even if they don't sell them ? Has Service typically been a problem ?

I am increasingly impressed with all I am discovering about this vehicle. I am surprised it hasn't sold well. Goes to show how much stock people put into "badges"..
    The service department had to make an investment in tools and training. You might inquire even if the dealership no longer sells them - service and parts may be OK with working on it.
    I finally settled on a 2004 vehicle, its 42,500, Burgundy, Tan interior, 18,800 miles, Comfort and technology package, CPO with warrenty extended to 2010 or 74,000 miles.

It seems like a no brainer but I am concerned with Service. There is only one dealer in my area that services Phaetons, is there a sight or method I can get some opinion on this service dept ?

Thanks
    I have a resource for you. Shoot me an email!
    To do that, click on "paldi" - that goes to my profile which has a link for my email. Yours is marked "private" or I'd email the list to you.
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    I cant believe VW actually came out with this car! I was being offered 95K if I'm correct. I like inside and out and was "VERY" disappointed with every thing about it! They tried to lower the price down to 75K since its doing SO BAD but I walked away and said "EWWW" an hour later I bought myself a Mercedes G55 AMG for 95K. My question is to every Pheaton owner out there, " What made you buy this car? And couldn't you have boughten some other (My opinion nicer) car? THANKS
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Goodness -- the Phaeton and G55 AMG are a huge leap out of the category you've been shopping according to all of your previous posts ...
    I can't speak for new car purchases but in my opinion the Phaeton represents the BEST used car value out there. It is clear a marketing failure vs engineering or technology (sure there are some faults but I can't find one car it this class that doesn't have a few (some more than others)). It is a shame it won't be a platform that is continue to be improved but since the opportunity is there why not capitalize.
    I have taken three friends to the local VW dealer to look at the Phaeton and each of them are not looking to buy one since you can get it less than 45K used (low mileage). It would not surprise me now that people are buying up the "deals" that Phaeton will have a spike in popularity before its death...
    The Bentley wheels and larger tires are on my Phaeton and everything appears fine during and after a 3 mile drive home in the dark. More news as it comes. :)
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I rode on the expressway next to one of these tonight. Very sleek, conservative car. The owner had that look on his face like nothing else in the world mattered.

M
    Sleek and conservative sometimes. The new wheels and tires are *just* this side of bling. ">:-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Those are great pictures - they really are! - but they are too wide for the display. Do you see how the text is pushed out to the right under the right sidebar when the pictures are displayed?

Try to keep the width no more than around 500 pixels. If that's not possible, just post links to the pictures. That will keep parts of messages being obliterated.

Thanks! :)
    You don't see the right side overflow? You've got to get them no wider than 500 pixels. I'm not sure what you did, but it doesn't look any different to me.
    No right side overflow here on my laptop using the reduced size. I'll go check the size on Photobucket.

[edit] 730 x 550 Yes, a little bigger than 500 pixels. Sorry, next time will use links.
    Could be my default font size ... if they are not wider than 500 pixels, they'll be fine for everyone else. :-) Sorry for the confusion, I'll be quiet now. ;)
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The wheels look great! They look like original equipment.

M
    Here are some additional photos of my 2004 Phaeton V8 sporting 2004 Bentley Continental GT 5-spoke painted wheels and Pirelli PZero Rosso 275 40 19 tires. I am 100 percent thrilled with it!

The photo below shows my Phaeton on the stock VW Challenge wheels with 255 45 18 Michelin tires.

• mdk0416mdk0416 Member Posts: 1
    I've been researching the Phaeton for a few weeks now. Seems like a great buy if you don't plan on reselling in the near future. I'm hoping to get some feedback on a couple of items:

1. Does anyone know what I should be paying for a used 2004 V8 with 10 - 20 K miles? Pricing seems to vary quite a bit.
    2. Is the 2004 Phaeton Sirius ready? I wouldn't want to clutter the beautiful inside lines with some fm modulator hanging off of my windshield.

Thanks for the help.
  • jb317jb317 Member Posts: 3
    I've owned my V8 for a month or so and had a problem with the a/c. The wooden covers over the vents wouldn't retract no matter what I did. Anyway according to my dealer they just hadn't been activated, which he did.

However, I'm still not sure everything is working properly. Does anyone know whether the air vents are inoperable unless the ventilation is switched to manual or the temperature differences extreme i.e. if the a/c is on automatic and you try and adjust the vents using the switches below they will not respond and the LED lights will remain off? If that is the case is there a way to get warm air to your body and fresh air to your face?
  • phaetonfan1phaetonfan1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm an '05 owner w/ 18,000 miles. I've had poor reception from the beginning - been in the shop twice so far, with no evident improvement from "booster" installation. The upgraded stereo produces truly spectacular sound for CDs or when reception is good, but there are many pockets in Southern Calif where this car just doesn't receive, am or fm. Does everyone else have poorer reception than experienced with other cars, or might mine really be fixable? Appreciate any input. Thanks.
  • phaetonfan1phaetonfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds to me like your vents work properly. The buttons below work more to close a vent when the auto temp control would have them open.
    Still grinning and prepping for a 1,700 mile 26 hour round trip excursion. No VW decals yet - on a slow boat from China.

image">

This one is a little off-center, but you get the idea. I'll order another set and try to be a little more accurate in my placement next time. :-)">
    The plan was for an OEM look with larger wheels and tires sourced from a VW owned brand. I narrowed the choices down to Audi and Bentley. The 5-spoke wheels I chose are the best fit for appearance and performance.

Very nice!! :)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I pulled out of my office lot today and out of the office lot next door came a ruddy metallic colored Phaeton. Wow what a great looking car.

These are super nice cars . . . it is so sad they were unloved, especially at the prices you could "acquire" one for.

So sad.

I stayed with the car and gave the driver my thumb, pointed skyward.

The market hath spoken.
  • bobm1bobm1 Member Posts: 26
    They are loved by us owners :)
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Hi all,

Has VW ever offered any promotional financing on CPO Phaetons? I'd really like to purchase the vehicle this summer (im located in chicago) but the financing rate will determine whether or not I'm a future Phaeton owner or not. I will be trading in my 03 Passat GLX 4motion sedan (which has been a great vehicle but the factory brakes have been horrible). Also, on the Audi A8L, one can purchase the security glass as an option on the V8 (standard on the W12) to reduce wind noise, etc. Is this option also available on the Phaeton?

Thanks!
  • psavalepsavale Member Posts: 1
    Dual Pane Glass has always been Standard on the PHAETON
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for the info psavale. Knowing that the Phaeton has the dual glass pane makes the vehicle more desirable. I was looking at the W12 model but reviews from various sites indicate the V8 would be the better choice. So most likely I'll end up with V8.
  • drjmak1drjmak1 Member Posts: 9
    i have a phaeton with 20k miles and need new front rotors and pads....anyone else have this problem....$780 for the front alone :mad:
  • cww1cww1 Member Posts: 3
    My car still has its Bentley wheels and tires. After 7000 miles all is well.

Beautiful car. :)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    So sad -- RIP.
  • rsteigerrsteiger Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is a way to connect a satalite radio to the phaton radio directly to the amplifier without having to transmit through
    a FM station?