Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• If fixed my previous probems thanks to you folks, appreciate it!

Next problem...My 96 astro van will overheat when I turn on the AC. It takes around 30 minutes with the AC on then overheates. What would cause this???

Thank you for all your help.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    1) Plugged radiator
    2) Broken Thermostat
    3) Bad fan clutch.

The key to unlocking this riddle is; does it overheat more idling in traffic, or at highway speeds?

If the first, fan clutch or thermostat should be looked at first.
    If the second, it's the radiator.
  • Thanks for the reply.

Would this hold true if it does not overheat with AC off but only with AC on?

I would think if it is the radiator, it would overheat regardless of AC on or off.

I had the radiator pressure tested and mechanic said it was fine, no leaks. They replaced the thermo. but still overheats with AC on only. It is fine when the AC is off. Drives me crazy..."> o_O
    No, the A/C will aggravate the condition by 5 times, actually, as it raises the temperature of the air in front of the radiator by at least 50 degrees.

You didn't answer me on the highway or idling question - but if you replaced the thermostat already, have the radiator rodded out. It's not expensive to do, especially if you take it out yourself. You will not overheat anymore for a long time.
  • On the highway it dosent seem to overheat as fast, sometimes not at all. On idle it will overheat with AC on. It only does this when the AC is on.

Robbed out? Sorry, I don't know what that means...flushed?

Thanks for your help nvbanker.
  • kbyrdkbyrd Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 astro van. The stop lights on each side do not work when the brake
    is pressed. The stop light over the doors works when the brake is pressed . The lights on the sides are dual light that are also the turn signal. The turn signal
    part of the light works fine. Why does the one light work and the others don't.
  • HAVE YOU GOT IT GOING YET. IF YOU HAVENT CHECK THE BRIAN BOX AND SEE IF IT STILL OK. TRY THIS FIRST AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
  • I have a 96 astro van that starts when it wants to.It goes like this...drive it,park it,try to start it and nothing..all gauges,lights,chimes it all comes on but starter does not turn.Getting juice to starter and battery and fuses are good.Let it sit anywhere from a couple of hours to a whole night and then it fires right up.I was thinking that when a fuse gets hot it seperates then when it cools down it makes contact again then starts.It's like when your car alarm goes off then u try to start the car and nothing happens.Please i'll take any info before my wife calls a taxi and leaves :)
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Rodded, not Robbed. Any radiator shop will know what I'm talking about. However, if your problem is more low speed than high - I'm changing my diagnosis to a faulty fan clutch. Have that checked, I'll bet that's your problem.
  • coreonocoreono Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have a 2002 chevy venture and it start to get a problem with
    the cooling fan.The fan don`t work properly because when
    they start to run to keep cool the engine they don`t,come to start
    when the temperature is over the half way and between the H way.
    I change the coolan & fan switch sensor, but that do not resolve
    the problem.I need to know what can I do for fix it,because it is
    not normal.I appreciate someone who help me.
  • Now a new problem today,the battery post on the negative side completely melted off,any ideas.
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    Mike,

I had that problem with my 97. Turn the key sometimes and nothing happens not even a click. Wait a minute and try again and it would start. Turns out the starter was going bad so I had it replaced last year and no problems since. I also ended up replacing the battery and alternator around the same time. The only other thing you could check is the ground wire and the wire that goes to the starter from the battery. Sometimes that wire can rub on another part and wear the coating off. Good luck, the reman starters are $200 plus.
  • Thanks,thats what it was,a new starter did the trick.I was wondering if u have any of these things going on with your 97,both windows won't roll down inside dome light comes on when i'm driving and i hit a bump or go around a corner.It makes a funny clicking noise from the under the dash right by the doghouse the dome light comes on.Thanks for the info Mike
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    Mike,
    I have never had window problems (knock on wood) in the 2.5 years I have owned the van. I do have a strange knocking sound coming from under the front seats. It happens twice as the van is warming up from a could start then it never happens again until the next day on a cold start. It happens while driving down the road. I don't know what it is but nothing has happen yet from it. I rode in a 99 and it made the same noise. The problems I have had are 1-2 hard shift which required a complete trans rebuild(don't buy the gm replacement it will have the same defective parts in it as the original). I had coolent leaking out of the lower intake manifold gaskets so I replaced them. The last problem was the a/c not coming out of the vents which turned out to be a bad vacuum line under the hood. I still can't get cold air to blow out the rear a/c which is an aftermarket unit(van is a conversion). At 96,000 it is still running good even while pulling a 4000# camper at 80 mph. Just got back from a 5200 mile vacation and averaged 18-19 mpg driving 80 without the camper.
  • I recently bought a 96 Astro AWD. I got a sweet deal on it because I knew it needed extensive work in the front end. I have since been told by multiple people (tech's and non-tech's) that this is a common problem in these vans. I like the van a lot. I have found that the problem begins in the idler arms, and if not corrected, extends to other steering and suspension parts. I am trying to find out if there is an upgraded idler arm (or whatever someone else has found to correct) to prevent this in the future. The only other thing I don't like about this van is that the "cupholders" in the console don't hold. When you accelerate or turn any drink you have will fall out of the console. Any suggestions?
  • jdubb1jdubb1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 astro, the alternator charges however sometimes it charges like it should other times the charge guage drops down closer to the bottom than in the middle. This is a new alternator I replaced the old one under warranty. When I rev the van up it will drop the charge guage. Any suggestions?
  • I have a 96 AWD with 212000 miles and I love my truck, yes I said truck. I haul my kids, and all kinds of other stuff in it. I love the AWD in the winter, I can go anyhwere in the snow. We did have to put some money into the front end and intake manafold. I would love to trade it in one day for a new one, sad to hear that 2005 is the last year.
    a 20 year run is pretty phenomenal - I'm not sad to see it die as a passenger van. As a cargo van, which is what it was originally designed for, it is tough as nails. But when converted to a passenger fan, it is the worst of all designs. If GM had ever put out any other vans that were good, up to date, or not so wierd, only the adventuresome buyers would try one, this van would have been relegated to cargo uses 15 years ago.
  • thibl46thibl46 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 96 ASTRO WITH 208,000 MILES ON IT. IT ALWAYS RAN GREAT UNTIL RECENTLY. IT WILL START TO BUCK AND MISFIRE RIGHT FROM START OR AFTER IT HAS RUN AWHILE. THE CRANKSHAFT POSTIONING SENSOR READING APPEARS ON MY COMPUTER. IT WILL THEN RUN GOOD FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS AND ALL OF A SUDDEN START RUNNING BAD ALL OVER AGAIN . I HAVE HAD THE CRANKSENSOR CHANGED 3 TIMES, THE PLUG FOR THE SENSOR CHANGED, CHANGED THE CAM SENSOR AND STILL NO LUCK. EVEN REPLACED THE COMPUTER, AND ROTAR AND CAP... ANYONE HAVE A CLUE???. THE DEALER WANTS ME TO LEAVE BUT I CAN EXPECT ANOTHER BIG BILL I CAN'T AFFORD.

TERRY.
  • wncjzpawncjzpa Posts: 2
    OK ,I have found the 1/8 tube that is cracked in half. How do I go about replacing the tube. I found both halfs of the tube but can not seem to find what the half coming from the drivers side hooks into. could someone please give me a breif walk through of how to replace this. What is the "doghouse"? thanks.