Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rydelrydel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Venture and when I turn on the right signal and hit the brakes the lights blink like crazy and the radio flashes. If I'm in reverse, sometimes the radio light goes dark and the emergency flash indicator stays lit until I put it in drive. My husband replaced the taillight assembly as it looked to have gotten hot. Also, sometimes but not always, the tranny shifts really hard but if I park it for 10 to 15 minutes, it's O.K. The tranny problem has been going on for about 8,000 miles and the blinker started acting up not long after. It's got 106k on the odometer. Anybody else have these problems? Did you get them resolved? How? Thanks.
  • kmfkmf Member Posts: 2
    Where is the low pressue A/C port on a 99 Venture? I need to reacharge the air conditioning system and can't find the port (sigh).

Thanks

Kerry
  • ace22286ace22286 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Astro Van and my tranny went bad and i bought another astro van transmission for the V6 4.3 Liter Astro Van from a guy who dropped the tranny out of his 1997 Astro. I compared them side by side and the 97 one has a throttle body on it and has different hook ups for the electronics. I was wondering if it is possible to even put the transmission in my 1993 van and if i can, can i get some kind of converter for my electronic hook ups to work on the new transmission or can i cut and splice. Please Help.
  • derekcderekc Member Posts: 2
    I would have to say a transmission shop. I'm having the same problem with my '95 lumina. It is messing with my head too. I was backing up my driveway and heard a thump. Everything seemed fine and I could still go in reverse. As I left, the van wouldn't shift out of first. I could only drive 20 mph. I just don't understand why I would hear that in reverse and lose 2nd and drive, but not reverse. :confuse:
  • derekcderekc Member Posts: 2
    sounds like you need new wiring. With the tranny, if not too bad right now, try putting some Lucas in it. You can pick it up at any parts store for pennies compared to a new tranny. This will only prolong the transmission. :)
  • tkrocktatkrockta Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my 2000 Safari, 80,000 mi. It was a vacuum line under the hood, found by a freind in 2 minutes. The line goes from the AC vacuum collection tank (a black plastic ball-shaped thing down below the AC) to the intake manifold. It wore through up near the carburator, they should put some kind of protection on it. Reconnected and it's fine now.
  • pooch1pooch1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having same problem on my 99 Astro with continually blowing 20 amp fuse that controls parking lights etc. I haven't found the short yet. Hope someone out there has solved this.
  • braveheartbraveheart Member Posts: 2
    After weeks of searching and too much money spent, I finally found the short. If you are having the same problem, pull out the license plate light. I found the wires were pinched between the plastic and the door skin. I taped them up and no more blown fuses :)
  • srobichaudsrobichaud Member Posts: 5
    Well a few weeks have passed and the car went in the shop and the 2 gaskets were changed, the cables and spark plugs, the thermostat and now my ac is still screwed :mad: I know this is something different. I got 3 kids and I want to try to fix it on my own before spending X amount of cash. Where would I look to inspect to try to find the problem of the ac???
  • x4madnessx4madness Member Posts: 7
    Must be one of those years! I own a 2003 venture, that wont start after it is parked for more then 5 hours. I have changed the battery and checked the alternator, all is fine! I have pulled different fuses at night for options, and checked in the morning, but battery still no start. Run out of things (options) it could be! I jump it with my car and it starts right away! However my car has to be running, If I jump it without my car running it will not start it, almost like it needs more then 12 volts to start! Has anyone else had this problem?
  • hubbiehubbie Member Posts: 2
    Driver's side power-window "chokes" everytime when closing. Glass tilts forward and needs to be pulled back at least twice to help closing. Goes down just fine. Anyone got the cure ?

Hubbie :mad:
  • haulenhaulen Member Posts: 2
    My van turns and fires and is getting gas. It is in time but won't start. I think that it might be something electrical but not for sure. Could anyone help? Advice is really needed and appreciated. Thanks
  • gildavisgildavis Member Posts: 3
    Has any one else had problems with sudden acceleration and/or a "runaway" cruise control?
  • nena1971nena1971 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 chevy venture, bought 3 yrs ago and had a new engine put in when it was bought. Recently it's been shutting off completely when I turn the steering wheel all the way left or right making it real difficult to get out of parking spots. Sometimes it shuts off after I start it and put it in gear. Once it shut off as I was driving, I put it in neutral to turn it over again (I was rolling down hill and there were cars I couldnt pull over) and it wouldnt turn on, until I finally got to pull over, stop it, then it turned over after several tries. :cry: Can someone please tell me where I should start looking!! :confuse: Thank You
  • flower60flower60 Member Posts: 5
    That sounds like what my friends van was doing. ( Is yours red?) Anyway her problem was the head gasket and a lot of things that led up to that going. They weren't real good about maintainance. Was the engine new, or used? Also, my husband says to have a proper cooling system flush done if it hasn't been.
  • 88to91astro88to91astro Member Posts: 1
    i recently acquired a 91 chevy astro from some family and on the way down here the speedometer stopped working on me i hit the trip reset and it went kaput i'm not too good with the electronic as opposed to the cable speedometers if anyone knows anything that i could do to check this out please let me know.... i do have an 88 astro LT for spare parts however it's got the cable instead of the electronic speedometer any suggestions would be great :confuse:
  • rkhowardrkhoward Member Posts: 1
    Our 1998 Venture has done something similar. At first the backup lights and hazard lights on the dash would come on when the brake lights,and some times the abs light came on. Only when the head lights were on. The yesterday the brake lights went out, except for the third brake light. :confuse: I found a pin on the plug to both tail light socket assemblies had melted. Did you find out what caused your problem?
  • mccoolmccool Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Chevy Venture and the passenger power window will go down but will not go up, I have replaced the motor and the switch on the driver side and now I am at a loss of what to do? :cry::cry: Please HELP ME!! Thanks for your time.
  • flower60flower60 Member Posts: 5
    You may need to replace the switch, motor, and regulator in the passenger door also. If you have not replaced the regulator in the driver's door, I would do that because that window will eventually do the same thing. I am having a problem with my driver's side auto window right now. To put it back up, I have do raise it a little at a time, straighten it with my hand and put it up a little more. If you end up doing this, DO NOT hold the edge of the window too long (and don't let your hand slip) as it will really hurt your fingers. All these parts are dealer only but I have noticed that all these parts are on EBay.
  • drvwaydrvway Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to remove the passenger-side engine mount torque strut bracket from the ENGINE. I have removed two bolts but the bracket will not come off. I have searched extensively but in vain for other bolts. Is there another bolt and if so, where did they hide it? If not, is there a trick to removing the bracket?
  • oldyeller85oldyeller85 Member Posts: 1
    I haven't has the issue with oil pressure light. But, I have been having issues with the airbag light on my 99 Venture van since it was brand new. At first the resolution according to the code was to replace the seatbelts. That would make the light go out for a while, but within a year it was back on. The last time they replaced a wiring harness, but it is back on again. Lasted about 6 months.
  • escambiaguyescambiaguy Member Posts: 35
    I noticed when I shut off my engine but leave the key in the run position I hear a humming coming from the DVD player. It makes the sound constantly even when there is no disc in it. It's not loud, sort of like a laptop pc. Is this normal? Also, what is the round circle next to the monitor? I first thought it was a speaker but now I don't think so.
  • drvwaydrvway Member Posts: 2
    I thought I would answer my own question since I was able to solve the problem. There are two additional bolts that have to be removed. They are the two long bolts that support the top of the ac compressor, then pass through the strut bracket and finally into the engine block.
  • robf645robf645 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 astro and had the same problem. I had the spider replace with all injectors on mines it fixed the problem, but after a year it started again.
  • ceetee25ceetee25 Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 Astro AWD leans slightly to the left at the rear and is at least 3 cms different from the right side height. Is this possibly the leaf springs or shocks? Not sure if they are the fibre glass springs or not.
  • mikeskimikeski Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Venture with same problems including the
    transmission shifting hard and in the same order.
    The transmission problem only happened once.
    Have you found out what the problem was?
    If so, what was the remedy? Thanks.
  • dizzylizzydizzylizzy Member Posts: 1
    When my headlights are on and i put my left signal on it has a normal blink,but if i step on the break its starts to be a rapid blinking and my tail lights all blink,when i put the right one on both of the lights for the signal light but only the right one blinks.When i turn the headlights off everything is normal. How do i fix this without costing a arm and a leg.
  • annie14annie14 Member Posts: 2
    hi, i had same problem with my 1998 venture. check the male/female connections located inside the back lighting panel. known as the pig tail. mine were not connecting good, causing them to burn out. had to replace pig tail and lighting panel around $160.00. ;)
  • annie14annie14 Member Posts: 2
    hi,
    thinking this is a sencor problem, just don't know were it is located. I have a 1998 venture van. HELP!!!!

thanks,annie14 :sick:
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Have you checked the coolent level? If it is low it is probably leaking lower intake gaskets, the 3.4 is famous for this problem.
  • kaelyn129kaelyn129 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 venture is doing the same thing. My power windows, power locks and interior lights all went out at the same time. All of my fuses are fine. did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours?
  • tandj100702tandj100702 Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 Venture started with the classic low coolant sign, then overheated. my husband and i tore into the manifold ourselves and replace all the intake and valve cover gaskets, drained, flushed and refilled radiator. Van ran fine for 4 days. Day 5 brings overheating in the morning... radiator drain plug had worked out...how we don't know. that night after running fine all day it Over heats again. replaced thermostat. that was 3 days ago. This morning it tried to overheat in 55 degree weather after going less than four miles. Thick white smoke rolling from under the hood but not the tailpipe. No water in the oil. Don't no where to go next. Please someone help???
    p.s. water pump appears to be working.
  • robofirerobofire Member Posts: 5
    Need help on standard equipment for the 2003 Venture LS extended.
    I bought a used one on 12/29/06 and according to reviews I read on the 2003 Venture LS, its suppose to have a standard Power sliding door on the passenger side,height adjustable drivers seat and an overhead storage bin. Mind does not and was wondering if the review was in error or if someone slapped an LS badge on a base model?
  • herbo97herbo97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Venture and it does have an power sliding door on the passenger side only and my seat is power adjustable which stinks by the way because the seatbelt always gets snagged and moves my seat out of adjustment all the time. Last but not lease I do have the compartment above.
    I have a question for you... Does your starter sometimes stick when you start the van? Does your heater work right? Mine won't get warm until the van is in motion. Does your radio work alright? Mine will get louder when I drive fast up on the highway. I think my van has a major electrical problem somewhere in the front end. I ram starting to regret buying this van. I purchased mine in August of 2006.
    I don't have any of those problems yet. Maybe the power sliding door is part of a power pkg seeing you have a power seat? The radio has an AUTO button that allows the volume to adjust with the speed of the vehicle. You can disable that function by pushing the auto button on the right side of your radio. I was reluctant to buy a Chevy/GM mini van based on Consumer reports recommendation, but most personal reviews were positive that I read. I was on a tight budget and only plan on keeping the van a couple years, it is in show room condition and only had 15,500 mi on it. For $10,500 I figured what the heck. As far as the heater goes, I really haven't used it yet. I live in Florida and the A/C works great! Much better than my Vibe I traded in.
  • cajzmerecajzmere Member Posts: 2
    Starter runs until motor starts, regardless fo how long you hold the key. This keeps you from holding the key on too long and wearing out your starter, or "tapping" the key and killing your solenoid. The heat DOES take along time to warm up if just idling. Normal.(I live in the snow belt)The radio sound is also a convenience feature built into all GM radios at this time. You can turn it off. I am now on my second Venture and would buy a 3rd. I have had some small problems and some big ones, but I think that just comes with trying to buy an "American" vehicle, ANY of them.
  • scott78scott78 Member Posts: 3
    I wonder if this Venture was a Canadian Vehicle brought into the US used for resale...
    I'm pretty sure that's not the case. According to CARFAX it was purchased and leased the whole time in Miami Florida.
  • kchuskerkchusker Member Posts: 4
    Recently my 3 yr old decided to use the rear wiper as a hand hold to pull himself up on the bumper of my venture and it hasn't worked properly since. Sometimes it wipes about 160 degree on the body rather than the window and other times it will only wipe half of the window. Does anyone know if there is a position stop within the rear hatch that might have gotten broke or is the fix simpler than that? If anyone has had the same issue I would love to hear how you got it fixed.
  • schwangschwang Member Posts: 7
    It sounds like the sleeve inside the wiper arm is stripped. you should be able to remove it and possibly get a new sleeve for the arm???? anyone else know??
    Thanks schwang, I'll take a look at it tonight.
  • schwangschwang Member Posts: 7
    Any luck with the rear wiper ??
    Yes. It was the easiest fix I've ever made. After checking out a repair manaul from the library I found there was a protective dust cap that hinged out of the way exposing the fasterner nut. Nut was loose. Tighteded nut and that fixed it!
  • sjishimotosjishimoto Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a used 2000 Chevy Venture. I purchased a manual online and tried hard with NO success for a couple of weeks now. We've noticed that the middle seat and the seat behind the driver's side are 'switched'. According to the 'diagram' on the bar under the seat, it shouldn't be like that. Even if that could be a reason for those seats being 'stuck', it wouldn't explain why the seat behind the passenger seat is stuck. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • chaseschases Member Posts: 41
    Each seat in the van has a special pin that only allows it to go into a certain location. If your seats are in the wrong location than someone forced it. You might have to do some unforcing (AKA a hammer bangging it backwards while holding the catch open.)
  • stan3plmanstan3plman Member Posts: 6
    My starter sticks intermittently when I start it, has almost from day one, I am the original owner of a 2001 with 67000 miles.

And yes, the heater could be better, I think it's a matter of being underpowered considering all the space it has to heat up.
  • sashdavesashdave Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have websites where I can go to purchase the third seat sofa bed combo for my 2004 GMC Savana?
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Correct!!!! If someone forced it in there's only one way to get it out...force it out. Couple of good whacks with a hammer will fix it. You may also want to put a little WD40 on the mounts just to make it move a little easier.
  • athertonatherton Member Posts: 9
    Having a 2001 Venture LT with the three separate middle seats and the solid one-piece bench third-row seat, I found that the spacing for all the seats was the same. Just take the rear seat or seats out competely, (make a couch in your garage).
    Now you can put any of the middle seats in the rear, put just two seats on one side, one behind the other, so there is a long flat 7-foot stretch down the other side, or remove one of the seats from the middle and put just one seat in the rear on one side, etc. There is almost unlimited interchangability, as far as spacing of the seats, ONCE YOU REMOVE THOSE STUDS with a dremel tool cut-off tool for instance. Take notice that some combinations will preclude using the shoulder harness, but if you move a second-row seat to the same side in the rear, you are ok, and the middle seat has a regular seat-belt which can be used if kept on the side where the clip belongs.
    REMOVING the studs does not mean the seats won't fit where they were originally, and have all the original functions, just that you can put any seat anywhere. By cutting off one side of the stud, close to the seat frame, the stud can be punched all the way out of the hole (hammer and nail-set) and you will never miss it again.
This discussion has been closed.