Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• sjishimotosjishimoto Member Posts: 2
  • tlsissontlsisson Member Posts: 2
    Our 01 Venture has quit on me 2x while driving. Had it towed to garage, fuel lines and wires were melted to top of gas tank as well as gas tank melted some. Replaced once already. Was told lucky that it didn't blow up on me. Last mechanic said we needed new fuel pump. Has anyone else had any problems like this or know of what might be the cause? Have spent more thatn enough $ already. Don't want to put another gas tank on and have it do the same thing 25 miles down the road. :mad: :lemon:
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    We found that the reason the heater was so bad was because the thermostat was shot & sticking open...once I replaced it the heat was much better...still not great, but certainly better - seems the OEM thermostats are only good for about 80,000 miles or so...
  • robofirerobofire Member Posts: 5
    How many miles do you have on the engine? I haven't experienced your situation yet, but I'm concerned with the numberous engine seal leaks I have with only 31,000 miles.
  • tlsissontlsisson Member Posts: 2
    We have about 180000 KM on it.
  • chaseschases Member Posts: 41
    You can search my other posts....

But I think---- you need to check the harness plug that is under the van located approx. under the drivers seat. My plug was shorting across the terminals. It had fooled my into thinking that 4 fuel pumps had gone bad on my van. The last one I dropped the tank to flush it out myself thinking that the tank was all gunked up, While the tank was on the ground I inspected all the harness back into the van when I found the terminal. After I pigtailed a new (to my van) plug onto the van I powered the van on to see it the old pump ran and sure enough.

Now if you find that the plug has problems you will mostlikely not find it at the dealer or any car parts shop. You will need to go to your nearest wrecking yard to get it.
  • ancobacaancobaca Member Posts: 3
    Ok this is going to be long so I am sorry. My wifes 98 venture had the low oil pressure light come on and the van shut off. We couldnt get it started and had it towed home which was 6 blocks from our house. After doing some research I thought I would try the quick cheap fixes first. I replaced the oil and filter, the oil sending unit, the fuel filter. We can get the fan to start but the low oil pressure light would come on and then after a few secs would shut van off. So I sought advice from some mechanics and I was thinking maybe oil pump but everyone said they had never seen the pump go out and that it would cost $800 to put a $50 part in because its super labor intensive to take the oil pan off the 3.4L engine. So we were told it could be a few other things as well. Some said the oil pickup tube could have fallen out which would cause no oil to be sucked up into the pump. To see if the pump was actually working they said to take the oil filter off and crank it over and see if oil would come out beings that the filter is higher then the pump if oil came out pump was working at least..well that didnt work. So they said well if pickup tube came out then to take few quarts of kerosene and pour in oil to submerge pump fully and then crank and see if oil comes out..tried it and still nothing. After I changed the oil and had cranked engine over and took off oil filter the fiter was clean as a whistle which tells me no oil is being pumped. So I finally come to idea that maybe the pump really is bad. No here is my problem...can anyone think of anything besides the pump that would cause this...and #2 all the mechanics said they had never seen a pump go out and some said they wouldnt even mess with it because its a costly fix that might not even work. But giving all the things I have tried wouldnt ya think it might just be the oil pump? The van has 140k miles on it and yes 800 is a lot I think to have it repaired..but given my financial situation with 5 kids I cant afford to go out and buy brand new car, and I sure dont want to buy a used headache of someone elses. Please any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like you did the correct diagnosing of the problem. The next bit of research you should do is to price search to find a better shop price for the repair.

And yes I would repair it.

All in all I feel that the problems these vans have all cars are bound to have similar problems at some time. It just seems worse on these vans because the average shade tree mechanic cant fix due to the shoe horn engine.

I have had just about all of these problems that you can read about on this forum. And still I really like driving this van and I get really good gas mileage for such a high profile vehicle.
    I wouldn't be afraid to spend $ 800 on it - ours is a 2000 and we still like it alot...for all of their faults these Ventures are pretty good vans - think about it...800 is 3 months worth of payments on a new one if you're lucky...and yes...labor charges are always brutal on these things because of the way they shoe horned the motor under the hood.

All cars break sooner or later - sure sounds like its an oil pump issue, I can't think of another reason for your issue that you haven't already checked - I've heard of a couple in the 60 degree V6 motors, yours wouldn't be the first...anything can break on any car...

Find a good mechanic that's willing to do what it takes to fix it and get it done...if you can't, maybe you can find one that would put a used or rebuilt motor in it...sure it will be more expensive than the oil pump fix but you'll be good for a long time...just an idea....Good Luck
  • cyberx1cyberx1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi.

Had a new High Pressure Power Steering hose installed abouyt 3 months ago. After installation, heard steering nosie in engine compatrtment. Shop said that Power Steering Pump was bad, so I had pump replaced - still hearing stragre noise related to steering. Any ideas what is causing this annoying noise, which is mpost notable when making turns?
    Assuming that the pump is good since it was just replaced and that you have no leaks.....I'm thinking you've got air trapped somewhere in the system

1. Fluid level OK?

2. Open the cap on the PS reservoir while its running...foamy??? If so the system needs to be primed/bled...procedure:

-Fill reservoir to correct level
    -Start engine and run for 2 or 3 seconds and shut down. Check fluid level again...add if necessary. Repeat procedure till fluid level is constant
    -Raise the front of the vehicle until the wheels are off the ground
    -start the engine and give it a little gas & hold it there...turn the wheel all the way to the right and them all the way to the left (gently) Check fluid level and add if necessary.
    -Lower to the ground...with the engine still running, drive forward just enough to turn the wheel all the way to the right but don't force it against the stop, then drive forward again to get it all the way to the left stop but don't force it.
    -recheck the fluid and add if necessary

This should get the air out of the system & get rid of your noise. You may have to do it 2x...if the noise persists or if the fluid is persistently foamy, you might have a leak somewhere letting air in...good luck
    Thank you - I will try the procedure and let you know how it turns out.

Mark :)
    Oh, onemore thing. I took my van to the Chevy dealer yesterday to have my PS system checked. Asa I suspected, the Mom and Pop auto shop who perfromed the repairs on my van really screwed up and ther're not fessing up to it so I'm now stuck. Turns out that Mom and Pop shop replaced my Power Steering pump and filled with TRANSMISSION FLUID! Does this present a problem now as they offered to drain and refill with Power Steering fluid? Also, will adding Lucas PS fluid improve anything, in your opinion? Lastly, Checy stated the the High Pressure PS Hose was inprorperly installed and slightly bent, but Mom and Pop shops states that that is impossible in that hose can only be installed on way - what do you think? Can improper installation cause any problesm with my Powersterering system? FYI that although the noise is extreley annpoying, the stewering appesars to work just fine, to inlkuce tight turns.

Thank you again.

Mark in Plano, TX
    Retired Marine
    Hi Mark...Semper Fi !!

Let's break this down...

1. Trans fluid in PS pump - hard to say what issues this could cause, depends upon the compatibility of the 2 fluids...they're both theoretically "hydraulic fluid" and I know there were some Fords that used trans fluid in the PS system...I can't imagine that there's a good way to get all of the old fluid out for sure without dismantling the system...I think I would get rid of all I could and refill with the right fluid and cross my fingers...I'm not going to be shocked if just replacing the fluid gets rid of the noise.

2. High pressure hose - I think my biggest concern would be that there is a kink in it that is restricting the flow and possibly causing your noise...but you say that the steering is working fine...I think if it was kinked the steering wheel would be hard to turn...I've never had to replace ours so I can't say for sure if you can install it more than one way...like I said...I think a kink would be the issue here if you had one.

I'm not a mechanic unless there's a shade tree and some beer around but here's what I would do:

Replace the PS fluid with the correct fluid and do the air bleed procedure...
    Check the high pressure line from the pump (its the one that comes off of the bottom of the PS pump) for kinks or restrictions.

Then I would see what happens...Honestly, I think the correct fluid will cure the noise...and a little Lucas in there certainly wouldn't hurt either - they make good products.

Let me know how you make out and feel free to post question...good luck

John
  • witchblade24witchblade24 Member Posts: 2
    It seems to have all started after I hit a cat on the interstate about a year ago. Had no trouble with my van before that. Because of the damage the cat made we replaced the radiator unit which is also the a/c condenser (if I remember correctly). About a week after that replacement was made the van started hesitating on acceleration but only sometimes. Some days it would run smooth but others I'd be lucky to make it out of the driveway. We took it to the shop and they said it was the spark plugs. We paid around $300 for the plug change. 2 days later the hesitation returned and the shop then said it was the transmission. We paid $1800 to rebuild the transmission and less than a week later the hesitation returned. We left the ran sitting in the driveway for about a week, then it ran fine for a few days, then the hesitation returned. We took it to a new shop and they said we needed a fuel system service (fuel filter, injectors cleaned, PCV, EGR, etc). We paid around $200 for that and it ran great for 2 months! Hesitation returned, though, but not as often so it was easier to deal with. Just a few weeks ago it started being more frequent. Took it to a new shop and they said it was the catalytic converter screen/filter so there went $285. A few days later it was STILL doing it so NOW they say it's the intake manifold gasket and it'll be $800. This mechanic says he notices the temperature gauge going up slightly at a red light then it comes down again and that's a symptom. I've noticed it, too, but I hear the fan come on and the temp goes down...isn't that what's supposed to happen?
    Oh ,and the midst of all that my brakes went out so that was another $867.

I'm at the end of my rope. We cannot afford a car payment (car loan was rolled into mortgage) so we keep slapping these repairs on our credit card and I'm now having emotional breakdowns DAILY over this. My husband is not any way a mechanic and just when we trust a real mechanic they slap us with a big estimate for something they THINK might be the problem. No one seems to know exactly what is wrong with this van...the computer is not giving out codes. The only one it gave was the 02 sensor and after the catalytic converter was worked on the mechanic said it might just be giving out a false reading on that BECAUSE of the converter having been clogged.

He has no explanation as to why my gas gauge goes up and down at every turn, either. I keep thinking "THE PROBLEMS" is something in the fuel tank...maybe debris/dirt/junk is clogging up my injectors. The van ran great for 2 months after we got them cleaned last time but I kept using cheap gas so maybe things got stirred up again? Sometimes it sputters, backfires, hesitates and seems like it's going to shut off. Other times it chugs and sputters along and when I hit 45 mph it feels like something got unstuck and it got some gas and runs along. Idling it sounds fine, slowly giving it gas sometimes is okay too but when I have to give it more to get going then that nightmare begins.

I've done research on the manifold gasket and although I know it's a known problem wouldn't the gasket have been completely GONE by now if it was really the problem? How has no other mechanic even mentioned this as being a possible cause? How is this van not giving a code for this problem it's had for a year?

I'm at my wit's end and have no where else to turn!

Aurelia
    Hi Aurelia....

I have no idea what's wrong with your van but.....

I'm concerned with the fact that there are "no codes" in the computer. Everytime the motor hiccups, misfires or does something else strange, the computer saves the "event"...basically, it takes a snapshot of everything going on at the time it happens so a tech can access the records and figure out what is wrong.

Here's my opinion - I think your EGR valve has a problem...it typically has to be a disaster to set a trouble code and it takes a long time to get that far...do an internet search, ask a friend, somehow find out where the EGR valve is on the Venture...then remove it, clean it and replace it.

2 bolts hold it in...clean it with carburetor cleaner and a toothbrush...there is a pintle in the middle that should move up and down...clean it and make sue it moves freely. I'm not convinced that it was removed and cleaned when the fuel system was serviced as they usually don't do that...

Even if you can't do the work, maybe you have a friend who can? Good luck, post back with any questions...

BTW - As for your gas gauge, the Venture gas gauges typically start to have issues about 80,000 miles...the level sensor in the fuel tank is to blame...its an expensive repair, just keep track of your mileage and get it filled up every 300 miles.

John
  • witchblade24witchblade24 Member Posts: 2
  • fknstrfknstr Member Posts: 3
    Did you replace the thermostat yourself or a garage?
    I was going to do it myself but the car was in for an oil change and I've been real busy at work so I let them do it....

In hindsight, I should have done it myself and saved some $ but unfortunately there are only so many hours in a day and most of mine were taken up....

Its not a bad job...just takes a little patience....
  • neustkgneustkg Member Posts: 35
    I own a '02 Chevy Venture and the passenger side rear window recently became disconnected from the window clip. When you push the button on the control panel, the motor cycles, pushing the window outwards. When you push the button now, the motor still works, but since it isn't connected to the window, it doesn't open. The connection seems to be a ball and socket. I tried pushing it back in place, but it looks like the connection is more complicated. Is this something that can be easily replaced/repaired?
    Hello,

I've never taken it apart but here's a parts explosion on the assembly...maybe it will help...

Looks like there's a pin and a retaining screw and that's all that holds it together...

Good Luck :)
  • vicarsvicars Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2003 Venture. If we are on a trip and stop for gas or food (running 30 min or so), it will not crank back up. After cooling off, the van will crank like nothing is wrong and runs good after that.

We have replace the cam shaft and crank shaft sensors with no results.

Does anyone else have this problem???? :(
  • pin2pin2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have purchased a "T" connection from an aftermarket manufacturer to wire my trailer. According to their instructions, I am supposed to connect it to a wiring harness connection that should be located in the left rear of the vehicle, between the body and the plastic panel below the window. I practically dismembered this part of the van but I cannot find it. Could it be that it is hiding behind the AC compressor? I would like to know before I continue to disassembel more panels.
    Thank you very much.
  • sxymama08sxymama08 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2000 chevy venture about 3 months ago. When we first looked at it the airbag light was on. The dealer took it to a garage and "fixed" it. It's been working fine since then until about 2 days ago. Now it's back on. Also about 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on. No idea why, it won't go away. We also have the gas gauge problem, it's always full! I'm planning to try the suggestions I saw to fix the gas gauge. Does anyone know what to do about the warning lights?
    My airbag light comes on after my wife moves the drivers seat either forward or back. To get my light to go out I have to reach under the drivers seat and wiggle the airbag plugs around. Then it's fine till the next time the wife moves the seat again. You need to check the codes for the check engine light.
  • boltonof6boltonof6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 chevy venture and I found my connection on the drivers side rear under the car near the rear air pump. Mine had a cap on it and tied to another harness.
  • kayfusleekayfuslee Member Posts: 16
    Same problems here w/2000 venture. But my airbag light goes off when I wiggle the wires under the passenger seat. My gas guage hasn't worked for over 2 years. Got used to using the trip meter. Hope that doesn't go next.
  • birdfansbirdfans Member Posts: 1
    I recently installed an after market trailer wiring harness. It was very easy(or I thought). I disconnected the plugs on the passenger side which are easiely accessible behind the bumper. I tied the drivers side in right at the connected to the brake/tail light assembly. Both tail lights work, only one side(drivers)turn signal works, and only one brake light (drivers) works. The trailer lights themselves are good because they worked fine with another vehicle.

Anyone have any suggestions? Could I need a heavy duty flasher fuse? What else could it be?
    We have an '02 Chevy Venture that has the outside temperature reading on our upper console that has kept fairly accurate temperature readings so far. Recently, on very hot days, it has displayed very low temperatures (like 60s or 70s when it should have read in the 90s). After a while, it usually bounces back to what I think it should read.

Does anyone know what might be happening to the temperature probe? Anyone know where the temperature probe is? Is there an easy fix? I'm not going to take it into the shop for something like this as the vehicle has +90k miles on it. I'd like to know if it is something I can easily fix.
    Hello,

Here are the words you were waiting to hear:

The fix couldn't be easier-

The temperature probe is "kaput" Open the hood and look down and to the left in front of the radiator. There's a little black gizmo (about an inch or so long) with numbers stamped into the side of it attached there with wires & a plug attached to it. Disconnect the plug and carefully remove it, chances are you'll break the attachment but don't worry, you can reattach the new one with a zip tie if it breaks.

Take the part to the dealer and get a new one - 2 years ago it was about a $ 10 part, might be a little more now but still cheap. The part # is stamped on the side so you can call around and get the best price. Once you've got the new one,just plug it in & reattach. Thats it and your display will be back to normal.

:shades:
    Thanks! Sounds like a very easy fix. I've got a discount with a local Chevy dealer here for parts, too. Maybe I'll save a dollar, but a dollar is a dollar. I also need a new window motor for the very back passenger side window.
    Good luck...

Interestingly enough, I got our part at a Cadillac dealer which is up the street. I called them to see if they had it and they gave me a price on the phone (about $ 9-10.00) My wife went to pick it up and when she gave them the part # they asked her if the guy quoted her a price on the phone..fortunately I told her what to expect...I wonder if they would have charged her more?
  • pin2pin2 Member Posts: 2
  • motorhead57105motorhead57105 Member Posts: 8
    these vehicles are wired a little different than vehicles 5 years older, they have only one brake light wire, when installing a trailer wiring kit, you have to get one with a "single brake light box" its a little box that you run the wires in one side and it gives you 2 brake wires out. Most local parts stores should be familliar with these.
  • venture64venture64 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where to see a fuses diagram of the 2001 Chevy Venture LT? I have a CD player that is stuck in the 'Check CD' error message, and overnight it drained my battery. I need to pull the fuse for the stereo system, but the owner's manual doesn't show which fuses are for what. Thanks.
    Well, I purchased the motor above and when I took it out of the box (and compared it to the motor in my vehicle, it looked like my motor was in good working order. I just needed the clip (shown to the right in the diagram above). I ordered it (considerably less expensive than the motor) and tried to take out the existing clip, but the phillips screw is so tight, I ended up messing up the head of the screw. Any ideas on how I can take it out? Screwdriver keeps slipping now. Can I use an easy out tool w/my drill?
    I think you can try the easy out...just go really carefully...if you break the glass you'll get really upset. If you use a really small bit and just drill it out you might get it to separate. You might want to hit it with a little penetrating oil of your choice as well...anything to make it want to move.

Good Luck :shades:
  • jenroe22jenroe22 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Chevy Venture has been running funny, it cuts out going down the road on occasion, and sometimes stalls at stopsigns/lights. At this point it starts right back up. When it first happened the check engine light came on and the code P0341(camshaft positioning sensor) was the result. We changed that sensor and the light went out but the problem did not go away, I have tried dry gas, fuel injector cleaner, changing spark plugs, replacing the fuel filter, and crank sensor, my husband also checked to see it the coils were sparking and they are not? I don't know what to do next, short of taking it to the shop?
    Pull the eletrical plug apart under the drivers side of the van near the drivers seat and check all the pins in that plug. The main power pin going to the fuel pump might be shorting. Clean it up, adjust for better contact and apply some eletrical grease and reassemble.
  • davis911sdavis911s Member Posts: 6
    Ok here is my situation

1998 Chev Venture 160,000 km

The other night we had a big snowfall (not sure if that matters) I drove home in this and parked the car out front of my house. No problems.

The next morning I go to start the van, startss running real rough, the check engine light flashes and the oil PRESSURE light comes on. I drive it back to my house (about 200 feet) and the bus idles real bad for about 30 seconds then dies. Oil level is good.

I started the van this morning and drove it around back and into my garage, ran like HELL and lights still on. I know it wasn't the best to drive it but I need it in my garage not on the street.

It sounds like an oil pump but man there was no warning, do pumps just GO or do they usually give a warning?

How can I test the pump?
    Is there anything electrical that it can be? I awas thinking something got disconnected or wet or something during the drive in the snow?? Sounds unlikely but one never knows

What about the timing belt? I have never changed that, if it jumped timimg would it cause these symptoms?

Thanks I will run a scan on it tonight and let you know the results.

Shawn
  • tlake1tlake1 Member Posts: 1
    On my 2001 venture the rear side window (driver side) is not closing or opening all the way when switch is pressed..what is the procedure to correct this and how to remove the motor if needed
  • robofirerobofire Member Posts: 5
  • jenroe22jenroe22 Member Posts: 2
  • mobilewheelmobilewheel Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem in a 2003 chevy venture. Did this (see below) solve the problem?

'Pull the eletrical plug apart under the drivers side of the van near the drivers seat and check all the pins in that plug. The main power pin going to the fuel pump might be shorting. Clean it up, adjust for better contact and apply some eletrical grease and reassemble.'

Thanks.
  • ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 1
    I was in a minor car accident on 11/27/08 and noticed that the lights on my dash board came on after starting my car and would not go out. It turns out that the seatbelt on the drivers side was the cause and the entire unit had to be replaced. The automobile inspection regulations in my area will not allow a vehicle to pass inspection with any indicator lights on.
  • sxymama08sxymama08 Member Posts: 2
  • chrisj5chrisj5 Member Posts: 3
    For the first time the radio was out. Another sympton is the remote key entry does not work. Radio fuse was blown. Immediately upon replacing the 10amp fuse it blows. Tried turning off the radio (a guess) first and replace fuse, still blows right away.
    I have a 2003 Chevy Venture (Warner Bros. series).
    Any suggestions on what the culprit is?
This discussion has been closed.