Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    So it's not a problem if someone is going a little under the limit in the right lane, even if other traffic wants to go faster. Just go around them. And the slower traffic stays right.

Not a problem as long as they run at least the minimum speed. Which I think is not posted visibly enough in many states, and should probably also be raised. Most places I have seen a minimum, it is 40 or 45 (while the SL is 65-70). I think it should probably be at least 50 mph, tho I'd love to see 55.

But remember that as soon as any inclement conditions develop, that minimum should not be enforced. Sadly, there are a lot of people who seem to think the speed limit is the minimum speed of travel under all but the most hazardous conditions.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited December 2012
    Sadly, there are a lot of people who seem to think the speed limit is the minimum speed of travel under all but the most hazardous conditions.

You can change "a lot" in that sentence, to the majority in many of the cases in CA. Perhaps, 85%, since that is what the speed limits are supposed to be set at. Unfortunately, in places like CA (and CA is not alone in this) speed limits are underposted thereby making the majority of drivers "speeders."

In general, I don't like to see anyone driving more than 5 under the SL set in CA unless there's terrible weather.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    But think about it - people tend to panic and slow whenever they see a cop - no matter if the cop is busy or across a roadway. Why is this?

Just common sense and courtesy to police and emergency workers. And, also the law here in Illinois. In my area of many rural two lane roads, most people will slow down substantially when approaching the scene of flashing lights. No matter which side of the road the police officer is stopped. A driver approaching flashing lights that he/she first saw maybe a mile back does not know the situation. Is it a simple traffic stop? An accident? A pedestrian or bicyclist hit by a vehicle? A drug stop? The end of a chase? Stick-up perps? etc.
    The inadequacy of our driver's license tests can be summed up by its average length of time; 10 minutes.

I think some of our problems would be fixed if we just gave bad drivers an hour to accumulate negative points to fall below 70 from 100 points and fail.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Wow, CA is really lax on driver's tests! In MN, you need to do both a written test and a behind-the-wheel test. Takes a lot longer than 10 minutes.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    So a cop is stopped on the other side of a divided 8 lane interstate, and traffic in my lane will slow. Why? There's some paranoia about this. Same reason why some won't pass a cop even when he is going under the limit. I can see it for flashing lights on a narrower road, but I see this stuff on wide open clear roads.
    edited December 2012
    10 minutes? You're joking, right? I got my license in podunk, and I think even there, the test was about 30 minutes (still amusingly easy, I remember at the end of mine, I said "that was it?" Only thing I botched was being too far from the curb in parallel parking). If that is what it has devolved to, that's dangerous. Funny story, when I was in school, a Taiwanese friend of mine dearly wanted to drive, and he passed - on his 4th try. On the first one, the instructor wrote "dangerous driver" on the sheet. His dad was some crooked local politician, so he got a blank check to buy a car. He chose a new V6 Accord (way too ritzy for a 21 year old), which he was scared of and wouldn't drive for awhile. He had me drive him in it a few times, which was fun. Now, the satellite children buy highline premium cars and exotics. What a world.

Here, private firms are now allowed to do testing, which IMO opens up some potential issues. I can see it for motorcycles, as the private firms are always staffed by active riders with an old school attitude - they don't want the iffy out there, where the state motorcycle tests were almost always administered by those with no riding experience. But for the driving tests, a profit motive will come up.
    I wasn't including the written test.

I remember my CA driver's test taking all of 10 to 15 minutes.

The written test was 25 multiple choice questions so I'm guessing 20 to 30 minutes for that.

Driver's education needs to be about safe driving, rather than about avoiding tickets and passing a lame duck test.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    That'd be in-between Baltimore and Washington.

MD-32 (4-lane state highway) has FAR too many drivers that brake down to 45 mph whenever the road tilts downhill (doesn't matter if it's empty of traffic or not).

And that's 10 out of the 15 mile commute I take each morning/evening.

So I see it multiple times, in both the morning and evening.

---

Funny thing is, this is a new phenomenon for 2012. In 2010, nobody braked to slow down on a downhill. (I spend 2011 in South Korea and when I come back, even dumber idiots rule the road.)
    If they are inconsiderate enough to be driving slowly in anything other than the far right lane, yeah, that's a real pain for other drivers. They need to move right. But NOT move off the freeway they pay to support--unless they're driving slower than the minimum speed.

And the minimum speed, regardless of signage... is always the 'flow of traffic'.

Failure to meet that on semi-congested or congested highways is the problem that needs addressing. I prefer guided, high-explosive munitions (the high-explosive part ensures the proper fragmentation of the vehicle so those behind you can safely drive over the smear that was once an idiot).

:P

(Sigh. Only in my dreams...)
  • whahappanwhahappan Member Posts: 69
    Not to defend Andres3 on everything he's said, but I think you are missing the boat. Sure, in the Northeast there are some short ramps, but the vast majority are designed to allow enough room to merge at freeway speed. I drive a 2002 focus wagon. I can't count the times I've entered an onramp with nobody in sight (because of the layout of the ramp) to catch up with the car ahead and have to BRAKE to avoid rear-ending them. Keep in mind, I'm not using full throttle, and I'm hundreds of yards behind them, and I still catch up to them as if they're standing still, on an on ramp that's not even twice the length of the distance between us.
    Driver's education needs to be about safe driving, rather than about avoiding tickets and passing a lame duck test.

I agree. For example, driver's education should teach, and driver's tests should reinforce, the need for drivers to respect ALL traffic laws, even the ones they don't agree with.
    edited December 2012
    And the minimum speed, regardless of signage... is always the 'flow of traffic'.

I disagree. For example:

* It's 10 pm and the few cars on the freeway are going 15-20 over the limit, hence that's "the flow of traffic". That doesn't mean the minimum speed is 15-20 over the limit.

* It's snowing, really bad, early in the morning and only a couple of vehicles are out, and all but one driver has a "I have an SUV, I am invincible!" mentality and are driving the posted limit, say 65 mph, even though conditions clearly don't support it. The minimum speed in that case is NOT 65 mph.

* A semi, or maybe a vehicle towing a heavy trailer, can't make the limit on a 70 mph posted freeway going upgrade. So they stay in the far right lane and go as fast as they can up the steeper grades, which is 65. The flow of traffic is 70, maybe more in the left lane. The minimum speed is NOT the flow of traffic.

"Always" is almost always a poor choice of words.
    Christmas - actually not bad traffic, light volumes, only saw 2 LLCs - a Prius with no lights on a rainy morning at dawn, and a 4 Runner in the evening with every light lit up, and it sped up when being passed, only to drop off again after. Not too bad.
    edited December 2012
    There's a difference between adhere to and "respect". Respect must be earned. Respect can't be taught. Many laws as they stand now are impossible to "respect" due to endless factors ranging from irresponsible creation to irrelevance to random enforcement.
    If you like "adhere to" better, fine. The important thing is that drivers be taught not to do whatever they want, whenever they want to do it on the road.
    Yes, less authoritarian language being used in defining one of the worst managed parts of the public sector (and that's saying something) works better.

I don't think rule adherence is a problem in driver's training. The issue is skill and situational awareness, both of which aren't really being taught at all, from what I can see.

Oh, I did what I wanted when I wanted this morning - pulled up to a red light, sat for a bit, zero cross traffic, painfully obvious that it was never going to change, so I just went. Not a lot of risk.
    There's only so much that can be done in a few hours of formal driver's training. But the parents/guardians/other adults teaching newbies to drive have a responsibility to teach skills including situational awareness also. I've done that with my two sons and am doing it now with my daughter. One rule I have is that you don't get a license until you've practiced through at least one winter. It takes time and lots of practice to develop the skills and experience needed to be a good driver.

You do seem to have a lot of red lights in your town that "never" change. That happens to me about once a year, where the light is obviously stuck. You really have the worst of all worlds when it comes to driving, don't you? Bad drivers and bad infrastructure.
    edited December 2012
    Many of the newbies I get to jostle with are past the point of parental involvement. They either buy their way through a driving school that might teach them to parallel park or even give them a few other skills, or just hit the road and learn on their own. I am sure it works for some, but it creates some issues. Luckily, winter weather is a rare event here, and the place shuts down when it hits. Most of the inept don't venture out, and I try not to drive on snow/ice covered roads as well, due to my vehicle and other drivers.

My dad spent hours teaching me about parking, tight maneuvers, freeway driving, what turning line to take on various roads at various speeds, etc etc. The tight stuff was often in a very large car, to intentionally make me think and work. I like to think it helped a little. I don't consider myself to be a great driver, but relatively (a low bar), I am probably above average.

Oh, the light eventually would have changed, but I have better things to do that sit for several minutes and wait. Idling is money. After 30 seconds or so, if there is no sign of a changing light (blinking pedestrian indicator), I go for it - no cameras, no cops, no problem. The light shouldn't be active at that time at all, or should be on a faster cycle or sensor for empty roads. Bad drivers, negligently maintained infrastructure.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Here in DC.

The Fed should have opened 2 hours late. I saw 2 cars on the guard rails, neither AWD/4WD. They should not have been on the roads.

Nowadays they either close or have liberal leave, but they used to open 2 hours late, which prevented the cars-in-the-ditch issue.
    For example, driver's education should teach, and driver's tests should reinforce, the need for drivers to respect ALL traffic laws, even the ones they don't agree with.

I disagree. Where the law makes no sense and has no factual basis to exist, nor any safety reason to exist, I don't think we should waste a single second of our new driver's education time on it.

Following the law doesn't always equate to safe driving unfortunately. My concentration is on safe driving.

Of course, the last minute of the seminar would include a disclaimer that tickets are expensive, court battles lengthy, and insurance rates will skyrocket if you get caught breaking the law.
    * It's 10 pm and the few cars on the freeway are going 15-20 over the limit, hence that's "the flow of traffic". That doesn't mean the minimum speed is 15-20 over the limit.

I take it you missed this part of my post:

Failure to meet that on semi-congested or congested highways is the problem that needs addressing.
    Yes, straw-man arguments is a problem on Edmund's forums.

Most all of the complaints lodged against LLC's and timid drivers results from semi-congested, or congested highways.

If the highways weren't congested, no one would complain about having to pass on the right, as it wouldn't make any difference unless the guy in the left lane was going more than 30 MPH under prevailing speeds.

I only get REALLY peeved at a left lane camper when they impeded traffic and it is difficult to get around their impediment due to congestion. It still irks me that they are a left lane camper, but it doesn't get under my skin without other traffic getting in the way at the same time.
    Only one no-lighter tonight, hour after sunset, in the rain - black 90s Grand Cherokee. A black car is best for dark rainy nights with no lights.

Not much dumb this evening, but did see a funny merge by a woman in a Prius C - gets up to about 45 on the on-ramp, randomly veers left long before the end of the ramp, then goes about 46 in a 60. I stay in the far right lane as I am exiting immediately, and I don't approach the limit, yet pass her.
    Tell her the gas pedal is the one on the right.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    when cruising at or a little above the SL. It is considerate to those merging into the Right lane. "Keep Right Except to Pass" and "Keep Right when Towing" are not enforced in WA as much as the Speed Limit is. So, what does it profit you to vacate the Left (smoother) lane just to make it easier for those who chose to break the SL law? One or the other law is going to be broken so let the Speeder go around you. He will pay while you stay. ;)
    edited December 2012
    The merger must yield to traffic already on the road, that's WA state law. Being "considerate" in that case is irrelevant. Move left, if you wish, if nobody is coming up behind you, otherwise, know your place. Keep right except to pass. It works in places with far greater human and motorist development than here.

It's funny how some scream about others picking and choosing laws, while they pick and choose themselves. But some older generations aren't exactly known for practicing what they preach.

Keep left, go slow, get called in as a suspected drunk. WSP has claimed they are indeed enforcing LLCs (a phenomenon seen far less in actual first world countries). Roll those dice.

It's time those 70+ are forced into mandatory driving tests - both theory and practice, to renew their license. First violation is a fine, second a severe fine, third is loss of car, fourth is...

Oops I fed the troll :shades:
    So, what does it profit you to vacate the Left (smoother) lane just to make it easier for those who chose to break the SL law?

It profits you by making you a considerate lawful driver.

The point isn't to make it easier for people to go over the SL, the point is to facilitate the easier and smother movement of people, traffic, cargo, cars, trucks, and whatever else is on the road.

Whether that speed be 50 under the SL, or 50 over the SL, the principal is the same, slower traffic keep right, left lane is for passing. The speeds are highly irrelevant.
    edited December 2012
    How is it possible that for 2013 Geico can undercut Liberty Mutual by about $400/year on me and my wife's 2 cars on auto insurance in CA?

Does Liberty Mutual hate CA? Geico love CA?

Somebody has overpaid MBA's on their payroll; someone is miscalculating.

Last year, Liberty Mutual was $250 less, and the only reason they could give for the increase was CA rates went up. Well at Geico, they went down.

Insurance is a scam and a joke! Thank god for competition and Geico; I've made the no brainer switch.

If not for thieves and uninsured, I'd post a $50K bond and tell the Insurance companies to suck it!
    edited December 2012
    You saved a huge $400 a year? Big deal! Earlier this year I saved about $200 a MONTH switching from Farmers to Progressive. Insurance a scam? Then so is almost every other business that offers products for sale to the public. Prices vary considerably on the same kind of product, depending on who sells it, when you buy it, etc. Are HD-TVs a "scam" because I can buy one the day after Christmas at less than half what it cost a few days before? Uh... no.

In our free enterprise system, insurance companies set their own prices and are allowed to set different prices from their competitors. So it pays to do what you and I did, and compare prices of different companies.

It's hilarious that you say "insurance is a scam and a joke" and in the same paragraph say "thank god (sic) for competition and Geico". Last time I checked, Geico was an insurance company.

btw, I checked Geico also when I went shopping for insurance earlier this year. It was significantly more expensive than Progressive. I guess that makes Geico a "scam and a joke" too... although that gecko is pretty cute.

Also, I have no idea what your tirade about the cost of auto insurance has to do with inconsiderate driving. :confuse:
    I disagree. Where the law makes no sense and has no factual basis to exist, nor any safety reason to exist, I don't think we should waste a single second of our new driver's education time on it.

OK, then... who will decide which laws to teach in driver training, and which should be avoided because they make no sense and have no factual basis to exist?

I suppose if it were up to you, the laws to be ignored include:

* speed limits
    * no U-turn signs
    * no turn on red signs

Any others you'd like to encourage fledgling drivers to ignore... except for that last minute of class of course?
    $200 a month? Really? That's insane. That's more than double what I pay for both of my cars combined, and I use Farmers as my main carrier :shades:

Insurance companies aren't charities...and until they divulge their algorithms or other methodology, they won't be loved. And when so many people have issues settling a valid claim, it can be deserved.
    How many cars, and kids, do you have on your policy? And is your home in what is considered an "inner city" location? And what are your deductibles? And how many miles a year do you drive? etc.

The factors that go into pricing insurance are actually pretty well known... it's not like they are secrets.

As you said... insurance companies aren't charities. And they aren't the only companies with customer-service issues... in case you haven't noticed.
    edited December 2012
    Prices vary considerably on the same kind of product, depending on who sells it, when you buy it, etc. Are HD-TVs a "scam" because I can buy one the day after Christmas at less than half what it cost a few days before? Uh... no.

I'm talking about like kinds of coverage and product. Not apples to oranges. Same vehicles, same drivers, same miles driven, same home location, same driver records, same liability limits, same deductibles, same EVERYTHING, but as you say, yours differed by $200/month. Maybe you just had an accident or ticket that just had come off your record that provided for that difference? Maybe Farmer's knows something Progressive doesn't.

As far as HDTV's, you can get a Pinto, or you can get a Porsche of TV's. They vary widely in features and quality, and therefore price. Any reputable electronics store will have a 30 day price guarantee (or at least a 30 day return and re-buy the same thing at a lower price policy). No way would I pay more before Christmas than the day after for any item of significance and especially for electronic items like computers and TV's. You should get that price matched!

In our free enterprise system, insurance companies set their own prices and are allowed to set different prices from their competitors.

Except it is NOT free enterprise. Auto insurance is mandated by the State of California! (Just like smog checks every 2 years after your car is 6 years old (and hence, why 10 minutes of testing costs over $30!).

All I said is Geico was cheap in California for good drivers. Your location and driving record may vary. Geico gets a pass for being an insurance company because I have nothing bad to say about them (was their customer years ago until they raised rates), and they did treat my brother in-law significantly MORE than fairly on a claim. He made out like a bandit.

This relates to inconsiderate driving because insurance companies gouge people so badly that many resort to not getting any insurance, despite the law saying it's mandatory. These uninsured drivers seem to cause 90% of all the accidents in CA, at least in my experience.
    edited December 2012
    The factors that go into pricing insurance are actually pretty well known... it's not like they are secrets.

Then how come no company I've checked with (and I've checked with many) has the information widely available on how their rates are calculated?

I'm talking this kind of info in detail:

If you are male, 1 accident, 1 ticket, 25 years old, Porsche 911 Turbo:

+5% for being male
    +15% for ticket
    +20% for accident
    +15% for being 25 years old with less than 10 years driving experience
    +10% for driving a sports car

That should be the minimal amount of detail an insurance company provide, yet none of them even provide a 1/10th of that kind of transparency.

I find bad driver's that cause accidents usually by crashing into me in a rear-ender when I'm not moving is decidedly inconsiderate. For one, your vehicle will never look or be as good no matter how good the body shop is, and for two, diminished value of your vehicle for having an accident on record is real and significant.
    2 cars, 1 driver, garage parking in an affluent zipcode, high deductibles, I think 10K miles a year (but I never come close), daily driver is considered a "sports" car as well, but that is offset by the very low cost of covering the old car. I also have a clean driving record, even though I speed, and disrespect asinine laws :shades:

Factors are known, and are common sense. But the formulas etc that actually determine rates are secret.

The "I" of "FIRE" industries, that untouchable linked cabal responsible for a huge amount of the economic malaise we face today, is "Insurance", in case you haven't noticed.
    So you have pretty much ideal scenario for low auto insurance rates... a good deal for you. Which means you might be paying too much for your insurance, if you haven't compared rates lately. ;)
    This relates to inconsiderate driving because insurance companies gouge people so badly that many resort to not getting any insurance, despite the law saying it's mandatory. These uninsured drivers seem to cause 90% of all the accidents in CA, at least in my experience.

LOL! Thanks, best laugh I've had all week! :D
    All that kind of info was easily accessible from my long-time Farmers agent. I haven't asked for that detail from Progressive, because frankly I don't care what goes into determining their rates. All I need to know is what they'll charge me. How they figure it is really not important to me.

I will give my old Farmers agent credit for being very service-oriented. I did have trouble with a homeowner's claim 15 years ago (the ONLY claim I ever had on my homeowner's insurance, btw I just changed that from Farmers also because they raised the rate 80% in one year after my having 1 claim in 20 years), but other than that no service problems from Farmers. It could be like the cheap TV vs. expensive TV thing, between insurance companies, but the price was so much lower with Progressive I was willing to take a chance on their service.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    It's time those 70+ are forced into mandatory driving tests - both theory and practice, to renew their license. First violation is a fine, second a severe fine, third is loss of car, fourth is...

One of the interstates I use at times is near a seasoned citizen complex. See those folks all the time. From the behavior I see from them, they are pretty good in staying in the right lane. The real inconsiderates I see on the interstate in that and other areas are a heck of a lot younger than seasoned citizens. Look in your mirror if you are driving fast in left lane, keeping a reasonable and short gap to car/vehicle ahead and see who is the idiot camping out one car, or less, length behind you. I very, very rarely see a seasoned citizen tailgating or doing something stupid. And, those dopes who do camp out one car length or less behind those in the fast lane, AND ARE NOT DAWDLING, usually don't stay there long. They start moving wildly into right, middle lanes to try to get ahead and get a miniscule time advantage. Dopes, inconsiderates and reckless.

Re cell phones, hardly ever see seasoned citizen drivers doing this stupid act.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2012
    here in SW Ontario. London...is bad for bad driving. You can take the people out of the country, but you cant take their driving habits out. I advise my drivers, let them go. No wonder my insurance rates are so high, and I am an old fart. The worst ones are those that belive their GPS is accurate. Or they have to respond to that TEXT message.
    That's one thing I will give to the oldsters - they don't text or yap - as they don't know how. But in another 20 years, the oldsters then will be doing so, just wait.

I also mostly see oldsters being LLCers, or driving too slow on suburban arterials. Which is funny, as the limits were likely higher when they were younger.

Tonight's winners - 3 no lighters: An Accent who turned them on when someone flashed their lights at them, A Fiesta who did nothing when I pointed at them (I was on foot), and a Mazda 3 that with a driver off on a different planet. Light traffic otherwise, just a few slowpokes (going 10 under for no reason), nothing egregious.
    Well, I do have a "sports" car with a high repair cost (windshield replacement was invoiced at ~$650, my deductible was $100), I have full coverage even though it is paid off. I am under $100/month for both cars, including the Hagerty policy on the old car. I am fine with that.
    All that kind of info was easily accessible from my long-time Farmers agent.

Would he also tell you how different new cars would impact your rates when you were considering them?

Point me to a website of an insurer that provides this information, as today is the digital age after all. The only industry less transparent than insurance might be real estate agents and housing purchases.
    That's one thing I will give to the oldsters - they don't text or yap - as they don't know how.

Wow, are YOU behind the times! I know lots of seniors who are very adept at using cell phones, smart phones, computers... maybe they just know better than to use these devices while driving. Age and experience matter... and impart wisdom. Seniors also don't suffer from that feeling of invincibility that many younger people have. And maybe seniors have a greater respect for (adherence to, whatever language you prefer) the law than younger people... and they know that driving while texting (and in some places using a cell phone) is not only stupid, but illegal.
    Would he also tell you how different new cars would impact your rates when you were considering them?

Well, of course. You are telling me you've had an insurance company/agent who would NOT tell you this basic information? :surprise: If so, you need a new agent or insurance company!
    Nah, YOU might just be exaggerating as usual. Ability to use a device, and adeptness aren't the same. My 60-something mother has a cell and a laptop and uses them casually just fine, but I wouldn't want her to try technical work on either. If only age had a direct correlation to wisdom - then the insane majority of LLCs I encounter wouldn't be oldsters.

You'll see more mobile distractions for oldsters as the boomers age, mark my words - as the take rate of distracting electronics for that demographic is simply higher than for those 20 years older, and it is more integral to their everyday life.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    My mother-in-law turned 86 yesterday and she's still working (at home, as she's done for decades). No smartphone but she is adept on her desktop, laptop, scanner, digital camera, blogging, remote consultation, Dropbox, Word and loading up her Kindle.

Her driving, on the other hand.... Not up to par with her computer skills.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    divide that by 12 months...$33/month...big deal. :cry:
    edited December 2012
    Never understood that thinking....

Say you drive from 17 to 77, that's 60 years, so over your 60 year driving career that's 60 * $400 = $24,000.00.

Gotta think long-term, every little bit adds up. That's 24 grand!