Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    agreed, we see a lot of cell phone & texting action here. I have learned to avoid and get around them. Even the cops & bus drivers are bad.
    Happy New Year.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    " remote consultation" = operating a telephone? Gotta love consultant-speak

:shades:
  • Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Just wait until Geico learns of your credit score & the reports they get from their independent field investigators that converse with your neighbors and co workers.

Any company rep can give a "Quote", but within 60 days, the price can change due to "Additional Underwriting Information". Eh Eh! ;)
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Of course, they officially would not give me a quote on a new car purchase as to how that would impact my rates (refused to do so). They said the company had to determine that and would "send me the bill" in a couple weeks.

When I got the bill it was astronomical. I quickly switched to a honest priced company, but the damage was already done, I had to pay for a month's worth of their astronomical rate. Given that I canceled, I ended up paying 3 month's worth of that skyrocketed rate for that single sole month in cancellation "fees."

Needless to say, I don't use that agent or any of their associated companies anymore.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Just wait until Geico learns of your credit score & the reports they get from their independent field investigators that converse with your neighbors and co workers.

Any company rep can give a "Quote", but within 60 days, the price can change due to "Additional Underwriting Information". Eh Eh!

Since they already run all your information and credit before giving a quote, I don't think that will happen, and anyways, my credit score is about 800, which you can't fault.

As far as I'm concerned the quote is a contract and part of the insurance policy contract. The last company to try and up-charge me after the fact was Mercury, and I quickly told them and my agent to shove it up their you know what, and that I'd sooner see them in small claims court before giving them another penny over the "contracted" price quoted.

Either the company or the agent caved in and paid/chipped in the "difference" themselves, and that was a smart move, because I stayed with Mercury for several years! On the other hand, maybe some of the paper work I gave them showing continuous coverage reversed the surcharge, but I was angry they had sent the higher bill instead of trusting me that the paperwork was forthcoming.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    You forgot to total out the amount of coverage. $100,000 for 60 years is $6,000,000. Not bad for only $24,000 in cost. ;)
  • Options
    He'll probably say, 24,000 dollars, big deal! LOL.

He must be a Romney.
  • Options
    Uhhh.. that 6,000,000 figure assumes you have a 100K claim every year for 60 years. LOL.

The truth is you may never have a claim in 60 years (at least not a liability claim) and therefore you were a sucker to the tune of every penny you paid in insurance.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I got a feeling that if you actually used any of that $6 million in coverage, the actual cost difference would be far more than $24 grand.
  • Options
    It's almost like paying 24K in interest for credit you never use. Weird logic.

And to something someone said earlier, I sincerely doubt the insurance cabal sends out investigators to interview the neighbors of people seeking simple auto insurance.
  • Options
    I sincerely doubt the insurance cabal sends out investigators to interview the neighbors of people seeking simple auto insurance.

And if they were one of those companies, they wouldn't be one of the companies providing quotes that undercut the competition on price, that's for sure!

Unless of course, they are friends with Uncle Sam and get some of that $700 billion TARP money.
  • Options
    It's almost like paying 24K in interest for credit you never use

As long as you are transfering a risk from you to the insurance company, you are using the coverage whether you have a claim or not. The premium you pay covers the "transfer of risk" from you who can't afford the cost of a claim to one who can. Insurance is the most economical way of paying another company for being financially responsible for your negligence.
  • Options
    Insurance is the most economical way of paying another company for being financially responsible for your negligence.

Or you could be financially responsible with your own money, and not spend it on insurance companies (which I find financially irresponsible and financially negligent), save and invest your money, and when you have one claim 25 years down the road, you'll come out way ahead, especially since you don't have to pay those ultra high overpaid CEO salaries in overhead.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    " remote consultation" = operating a telephone?

Nothing to do with a telephone.

I don't know what programs she's using these days, but it's beyond the old PCAnywhere days and it's more sophisticated than the Windows "let a remote user access your computer" stuff. Lot of joint document work that's beyond something like Facetime or Skype too.

And the best part is that it keeps her off the road.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    The insurer was probably sophisticated enough review your on line posting and appropriately raise your rate. :P
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You can't claim it as 6 million (or whatever) in benefits. Claims not paid are not real benefits. It is just peace of mind above all else, and is not worth the value of the coverage every month no more than it is worth that value every day or year. If it was really economical, the insurance cabal execs on Wall St. who should be hanged wouldn't all be zillionaires reaping untold bonuses while their games receive bailouts and tax breaks. These firms don't exist to be economical.

I have insurance not for my negligence, but as a backup in case I am impacted by the negligence of others. As America continues to dumb down on a race to the bottom, it is probably worth it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Two no lighters this evening - previous generation Acura TL, and a rental Versa sedan. I was on foot for the latter, I once again pointed and waved my arms - "driver" just gave me a blank stare.

While driving home, passed an older woman in a Cayenne on the right, I along with many other cars, as she was moving well under the flow of traffic, in the left lane of course. Then saw a late model Lexus RX stop in the middle of a busy street, hold up cars, slowly creep into a left turn lane, and run through the intersection as the light turned red. Yes, those with lots of gold sure are smart and competent and disciplined. Time for fines to reflect wealth.

One crosswalk crowder, woman in a Sienna who breezed through against a green crossing sign. I yelled a mild profanity at her.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,553
    On the NY thruway near albany this evening at rush hour. Moderately heavy traffic, but not jammed, on a stretch where it was 3 lanes (or maybe 4?). Anyway, moving at about 70 with plenty of company.

then a newer Maxima come up on my right (I was in the middle lane), cuts between me and the guy in front of me (nearly hitting both), and continued into the left lane. Shot past the guy in front of me, and cut him off shooting back into the right most lane. Passed another car, and weaved back over to the far left lane.

Probably pushing 80 if I was doing 70, and nearly hit at least 6 cars in the short time I saw him. There really is no justice that a trooper did not spot this and nail him. Incredibly dangerous.

Oh, and of course, not one use of the blinker for any of these moves.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    and a rental Versa sedan. I was on foot for the latter, I once again pointed and waved my arms - "driver" just gave me a blank stare.

Versa driver maybe thought, what is it with this lunatic and/or inconsiderate pedestrian waving his arms. ;)
  • Options
    You're probably right. By the looks of things the driver was also a long distance tourist or a new resident, which probably only baffled them more. Maybe lights are optional in Mumbai :shades:
  • Options
    whahappanwhahappan Member Posts: 69
    My friend had a PA system hooked up in his car back in high school, and that's exactly what he'd say when stuck behind a slowpoke :P
  • Options
    I have insurance not for my negligence, but as a backup in case I am impacted by the negligence of others. As America continues to dumb down on a race to the bottom, it is probably worth it.

Probably worth it assuming they act in good faith and pay on rightful claims. That is one awfully big ASSumption, since insurance companies are known to be run by thugs.
  • Options
    My friend had a horn that would Moo, actually sounded like a cow!
  • Options
    gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    edited December 2012

That way, when you flash your lights, the LLC moron can see why you flashed the lights.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Do they make one for the rear window that says, "Do not exceed the speed limit" and "Be courteous while driving"?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think I found the mother lode of LLCs the past couple of days, on I-10 between Luling and Houston. All shapes and sizes, including semis (should know better) to luxury SUVs (too rich to care?) to lots of Corollas (can't go any faster?). It was by far the worst case of LLCing I've ever seen.

And I think I know why. My hypothesis it's the 75 mph speed limit on that stretch of road that's the culprit... in addition to the idiots behind the wheel of course.

What I observed driving that road in both directions over 2 days (about 2 hours each direction) is that quite a few vehicles were driving slower than the limit... sometimes significantly slower, i.e. 10-15 under the limit, but mostly less than 5 under the limit. That by itself wasn't the problem, as they were in the right lane and it was easy to pass them. That is, it should have been easy to pass them. But there were so many LLCs, many of them driving UNDER the limit, that it took a long time to pass. I observed some LLCs staying in the left lane for miles.

On freeways with lower speed limits, e.g. 60-70, what I typically see is, first of all, traffic in the right lane is usually flowing at the limit if not a little over. Occasionally you see a vehicle going a little under the limit in the right lane, but they're easy to pass. Also, traffic in the passing lane tends to use that lane for passing, not camping, and is flowing a little over the limit.

The end result is I didn't think much of the 75 mph limit. Fuel economy sucked (especially since I had to brake/accelerate frequently to adjust to the LLCers, but also because of the 75 mph speed which isn't in the sweet spot for FE), the driving was tense due to the need to almost costantly weave around all the LLCers, and I saved a few minutes over 2 hours vs. a slower limit (65-70).

Give me a freeway with a 65-70 limit, fewer LLCers, better fuel economy, and less tense long distance driving any day.
  • Options
    Why? No one would ever be behind you if you actually did what the sign suggested...
  • Options
    Who said anything about speeding? 90%+ of the LLCs I see are going under the limit. The most "courteous" thing a slow/timid driver can do can do is to keep right except to pass. It's a law, you know.

And about the higher speed road mentioned in another post - another case of people who need to stick to slower speed roads if they are unable or unwilling to move along. I also suspect it is difficult to tell Texans the proper way to do things, they seem to know it all. :shades:

It still amuses me that these issues are not so big in other places, but in 'Muricah, watch out.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited December 2012
    > Who said anything about speeding?

Odd. I paid attention to this on the 225 mile trip into Michigan and back. The primary LLC'ers I saw, 90%+, were speeding and they were tailgating because on the two-lane interstate people going 67-70 were in the left lane in front of them!!!

It's a nice distraction to claim that LLD'ers only tailgate those going below the speed limit in the two-lane scene that I described, but in reality the LLD'ers are speeders above and beyond the 5 mph over the limit usually given as a token margin.

>are not so big in other places, but in 'Muricah,

If I were that unhappy about driving the USA, I'd move to Germany if I thought things were so much better there.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    What does the speed limit have to do with LLCing?

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case you are unaware... slower traffic must keep right.

So, if someone is approaching you from behind in the left lane, you are slower than they are, and must move right as soon as possible.

Failure to do so is nothing more than someone who consciously chooses to drive poorly.
  • Options
    67-70 in a what? A 60? A 65?

It's a nice distraction to claim that someone going 10 over in the left lane is being treated as an LLC. I've never in my life seen someone going 70 in a(n assumed) 60 in the left lane holding up traffic. If you're in the left lane and a faster car is approaching, and there is nobody alongside you or immediately ahead of you, move over and let them by. Then get back in the lane. The speed of that other car, and the speed of your car, are irrelevant. It works in more developed places. If the speeder really irks you, call 'em in to the real police, but your recourse needs to end there.

Driving in the US usually sucks compared to most other developed nations. It's a fact. Instead of giving the cliched useless old "love it or leave it" reply, maybe you have an idea for improvements? You don't seem to happy with driving here,either. I have an endless list, but sadly, none of them will ever come to fruition, as the lowest common denominator has control - and the lowest common denominator is also a LLCer.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Driving down a wide 30mph residential street in the old car today, road is absolutely empty for the entire line of sight, other than me. Windstall pulls out from a side street, not looking, directly in front of me, I have to brake. I don't even honk, just wait for it to speed up (I am not speeding, old car and the street has speed humps now and then), but it doesn't. It gets up to maybe 20. Takes the same turn I had planned, which leads to a hill. Speed starts to vary between 15-20, so I flash my lights. No reaction. Repeat. No reaction. Empty street, so I simply pass. When you get passed by a 50 year old MB uphill, you're not moving very fast. Van had a middle aged male driver, both hands gripping the wheel, looking straight ahead. Impaired? I think he slowed down even more after I passed, as he almost vanished in my mirror within a minute.

Also saw a woman in a beige (of course) Camry do the worst job of parking in a shopping center stall - way over the line on the left for no reason. I got behind the same car when leaving the area - she tried to make a free right turn as pedestrians had green, and stomped on the brakes. I won't describe her more.
  • Options
    That "slower traffic keep right" sticker for the windshield is courteous, as it doesn't say, Move Right you Slow Moron #*#*#*#*!

or MOVE RIGHT NOW OR DIE!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Why not just flash your lights well ahead of time so that they have time to terminate their LLCing ways, and move right before you have to brake to ruin your fuel economy?

Flashing lights seems preferable to me than having to weave in and out of traffic over and over.

In Arizona, in the 75 MPH zones, everyone was going between 70 and 80, worked fantastic. Maybe Texas drivers have issues.
  • Options
    The NMA (National Motorists Association) would love your ideas, your list of improvments, and your support.

They would help implement changes for the better on our roadways.

Of course, I have a feeling your not part of the 1%, but unfortunately, getting changes to be made by our government requires big $$$$ donations, because bribery is the name of the game in Washington DC.

The NMA needs more funds via donations to address more driver's rights and concerns.
  • Options
    It works in more developed places. If the speeder really irks you, call 'em in to the real police, but your recourse needs to end there.

Good advice, but have you ever really called in to the police over someone's driving? For an LLC or other impeder?

Since in CA, they don't seem to waste time enforcing a law that would be beneficial rather than profitable, I imagine the reaction by my local police agency would be something to the effect of "Yeah, so what? What do you want us to do about it?," if I was calling in an LLCer.

I'd imagine reporting anything less offensive or serious than a drunk driver would get a blank stare.
  • Options
    jjackson12jjackson12 Member Posts: 46
    The entrance to my street from the main road is a bit of a down hill. Yesterday someone parked their Explorer in front of the house on the corner, rather close to the main road. The main road was clear/dry, but my street was a bit slick with ice/snow from the day before.

While coming home from dinner, a Honda Civic(?) that was 4-5 cars ahead of us took the turn onto my street a little fast and slid into the side of the parked Explorer (left side to left side).

So who was inconsiderate?
    1) Honda
    2) Explorer
    3) Both were inconsiderate
    4) Neither, it was just an accident
    5) People shouldn't live in Michigan
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Or don't flash your lights at all, slow down, have some patience, and wait your turn.

Flashing lights to pass around here is aggressive driving, and that's an expensive ticket. (More than the LLC ticket for sure).

I get frustrated too. I just don't impose it on others.
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    Winter definitely brings out a different breed of inconsiderate...

We had our first legit snowfall of the winter here Friday night/Saturday morning. Our trip out to the gym Saturday morning was early enough to beat most of the idiots, but on our way home was a different story.

I'll admit I'm not perfect, as I still had some snow on the roof between the crossbars, but there were quite a few out there that didn't really make an effort. One Accord pulled up alongside and didn't even have the snow cleared off the side windows. A couple minivans out there had their headlights pretty much covered in snow.

Still dreary and trying to snow, and enough spray from the wet/slushy pavement to warrant wipers, but lots of no-lights. One of them made an optimistic move to pull out in front of me in a CX-7, but with 2 lanes in each direction, I got to the other lane. But as I tried to pass her, she repeatedly wandered across the line, enough that I had to lay on the horn. I was doing 40-45 when I got by her (45mph SL), and when we looked over she seemed to be white-knuckling it. I cleared her and moved right to let a Volvo sedan pass, and she was gaining a bit too much confidence. I was up to 50 mph when I moved back to the left lane to pass the next car up, and she was all over my tailgate until she found room to zip past me at close to 60.

The snow was pretty much done by midday Saturday, and yesterday's combination of sunshine and temps just barely touching freezing were enough to let snow still on cars slide down a bit. And this morning, close to 48 hours after the snow stopped, I still saw an Odyssey in full rolling igloo glory, with snow covering up its headlights.

I'll be taking to the Gene Slider this afternoon, so I hope there are no more rolling igloos with big chunks of snow to come flying off at Interstate speeds.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    I was going to say, my suggestions won't be worth jack. I don't have the money to get them through, and money is really what it is all about. My changes would start from the first day of driver's ed, too - and the ingrained traditionalists wouldn't be happy. It's not what you know.
  • Options
    Nope, I haven't. I am tempted all the time, mostly for surface street stuff though, like the Windstall I was stuck behind yesterday.

The revenue enforcement cartel only wants to enforce speed, and sometimes DUI when there is enough pressure (usually a holiday weekend). Nothing else. Who do you know who has ever received a ticket for LLCing, not using a signal, phone yapping, etc? I know nobody, myself. And the suggestion below that flashing lights would create an aggressive driving ticket is funny. I'd fight that one in court, even if it cost me twice the ticket to have it overturned. Cops who give tickets like that should lose their jobs and pensions. And the judges who side with them should receive some late 18th century French justice - or at least lose their bloated salaries and undeserved pensions too.

Speaking of the latter inconsiderate, was out this morning, saw a Cayenne going really slow, like 10-15 in a 30. I then examined the driver - holding a phone and talking. These things should have bluetooth, right?
  • Options
    Come to western WA in the snow. Nobody bothers to clear their windows either, not to mention gaining any ability to drive in it. It's amusing seeing the brave adventurous SUV set needing to be towed, anyway.
  • Options
    I've seen the flashing/aggessive stop happen right before my very eyes. It has to go part & parcel with another infraction, by definition:

"The commission of two or more moving violations that is likely to endanger other persons or property, or any single intentional violation that requires a defensive reaction of another driver."

I might have missed witnessing all of what prompted the stop, but the jack*** was flashing headlights along the way as well. Speaks to intent, if nothing else.
  • Options
    Flashing lights endangers other drivers? Maybe this one comes from cops who don't want oncoming traffic warned of speedtraps (the first rule of quotas - there are no quotas).

I flashed my lights at the weirdo in the van yesterday, I also do it before I honk if someone is dawdling at a light.
  • Options
    Lights-a-flashing in the context of tailgating a LLC is different than the reminder for the oncoming guy to turn his on, or the friendly flash at a 4-way stop inviting the other guy to proceed.
  • Options
    Getting to the season where people forget to do that, then they hit a bump and snow flies off in big chunks.
  • Options
    Flashing lights to pass around here is aggressive driving, and that's an expensive ticket. (More than the LLC ticket for sure).

but how many times must you flash your lights for it to be considered aggressive vs. just communicating? I would think it's at least 4 flashes. After all, you are being considerate to the unaware sleepy driver who was I'm sure "forgetting" that they were camping in the left lane. The first couple flashes are highly considerate.
  • Options
    While coming home from dinner, a Honda Civic(?) that was 4-5 cars ahead of us took the turn onto my street a little fast and slid into the side of the parked Explorer (left side to left side).

The Civic was a moving object, the Explorer was inanimate, hence, the Civic is 1,000% to blame, unless they can show the Explorer was in the "lane" of travel somehow, but even then, still 100% to blame as the parked car was clearly visible.

I bet the Civic's slide was caused by several things other than speed:

1) bad tires
    2) worn out tires
    3) wrong tires for conditions
    4) bad driver skills
  • Options
    Lights-a-flashing in the context of tailgating a LLC is different than the reminder for the oncoming guy to turn his on,

Ah.. I see now you took my comment out of context.

My advise was to provide a courtesy flash to the vehicle you are approaching in front of you from far away, so as to give them plenty of time to wake up, change lanes, and move over to the right so as to prevent any tailgating.
  • Options
    Not to be confused with the 200 flash episode you admitted to awhile back, of course.