Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Cobra and SVT Cobra

Comments

• mustang_svtmustang_svt Member Posts: 23
    I knew it wouldn't take long for the problem to resurface - and it didn't. Just got back from the dealer and now they're saying that a bushing in the rack is shot. Last time they just lubed the bushing but now they've decided that it should be replaced.

My problem is that these guys refused to even take a cursory look at the steering system yesterday because it didn't make the noise at that moment. I assured them that the noise is constant and quite loud but they wouldn't take me at my word. Today, with the steering creaking away, it took the tech less than 30 seconds to locate the problem. I'm sure he could have located the problem yesterday and saved me the trip today - especially given the fact that they knew where to focus based on the symptom being exactly the same as the last time they "fixed" the problem.

The really disturbing part of it all is when the service writer starts apologizing for not being able to help me yesterday. I told him that he should have treated my concern as legitimate the day before. This guy puts his face right in front of me and starts with "I apologized to you twice already - what else do you want me to do!?" What a sudden change of attitude. I wasn't sure how to respond so I just stared back at him and said "First of all, stop apologizing to me - and secondly, don't assume the customer is wrong until proven right." That ended our little episode but I could tell that he was upset with me. I'm a little nervous about leaving my car with this nut tomorrow. Maybe I'll just take the part with me and have a different dealership install it.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Well, maybe give the guy a chance to cool off, and he might realize his attitude isn't helping; I think he was probably having a bad day, and just got too worked up. Let him sleep on it, and he'll probably be extra nice to you when you come get the car...

If it were me, I'd give them one more chance. If the next time (and with a Mustang, it's only a matter of time...) you get the same service, then it's time to walk, and let them know you'll be sending a letter to Ford. That's nuclear to them and really hits them where it hurts.

My dealership and I have a good relationship, and by being firm but polite, I've gotten my service guy to listen to me and do what I ask (i.e. no longer try to sell me unecessary "routine" maintenance).

Though their quotes on installing mods are still ridiculous...$250 and 3 days for a catback install (Meineke had me out the door in 1/2 hour and $60 later) : (
  • mustang_svtmustang_svt Member Posts: 23
    You were right, John. I dropped the car to them on Friday for the bushing. He was still a little off balance but nothing I couldn't blow off - I remained very cordial. I called them in the middle of the afternoon to check on the status, and he says they noticed the right tie rod clicking and want to replace that as well. Sure never figured him to volunteer a problem that I wasn't complaining about - very cool. I admit I was a little skeptical that this might be a ploy to keep the as__oles car for a weekend of joy rides. I decided that I have trust issues and need to chill and take them at their word :-) I told my wife what was going on and she decides to tell me at 14,000 miles that she's been hearing that clicking ever since I bought the car - not the bushing crunch but a clicking from the passenger front that she heard from Day 1. She assumed I knew about it and it wasn't a problem ... Ya gotta love 'em.

As for mods ... Pontiac has until my warranty expires to get a 6.0L in the GTO. After that, it looks like $2k into the Cobra and another 3 years with a 500hp Viper (?) hunter ... life doesn't suck :-)
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    '04 Cobra in late June/early July (ordering soon). I'm shocked, in a good way, at the number of bolt ons that jump the hp to near or over 500.

Have you folks had any issues with the dealer freaking out over modifications?

I'm a lemon law investigator and I know that modifications aren't allowed, by legal rule - in other words, if push came to shove and you had an after cat exhaust system, your warranty could be shut down, period. The manufacturers (all of them) are off the hook if you modify your car, and there's no stipulation at to what "modify" means - I guess new wheels are a modification...

Most dealers don't freak out over things like that (exhaust) - I'm more concerned about chips and pulleys.
    From what I've heard (I own a regular GT myself, so I don't know personally) that your best bet is to use a dealer that's also an SVT dealer. They tend to be less "judgemental" about mods and will frequently even take an active interest in your project...

Pullies and chips are tough though, since their operation does affect the engine as a whole.
    the car is a pulley and a chip (and exhaust) away from 450+ hp at the wheels....

Of course, if I don't do what that Subaru WRX owner did after his engine failure, I'll be ok...

If you didn't hear about it, let me know - hilarious story.
    Haven't heard the WRX story, but would like to...

I'd say if you're serious about hitting 450 rwhp (and you seem to be), then do the pulleys and chip, whatever the warranty consequences. After all, with a car like that, outrageous power is it's stock-in-trade...might as well do it right. : )

But maybe discretely talk with your dealership (or if possible, the mechanic who'll work on your car) and mention you're thinking of modding it, and what's their view on it? I've heard of dealerships all over the map on the issue, so it really depends.
    I read this about a year ago - a young guy from San Bernardino had a 2002 WRX, way rodded...he was running 18 psi, aftermarket intercooler, boost controller, gauges, exhaust, AEM (piggyback or free-standing ECU)...bigger injectors, and nitrous.

He was on a chat site - a Subaru forum, bragging about how one lonely night on the freeway he encountered a hopped up Civic and they started playing, well over 120-130 mph, off onto the feeder roads, banging gears, redline..

And then his engine blew.

He had a buddy come get him and they tied a strap to the car and towed it to his house, where they thrashed all night to return the car to stock.

The next morning, he called Subaru Roadside explaining that something was wrong with his engine. The service manager was really cool and ordered the new motor and the car was getting worked on.

He posted this the night before he was supposed to pick up the car, with his new/reman engine installed under Subaru warranty. He laughed at what morons the service guys were, and that he couldn't wait to reinstall all of his mods.

That was before he found out that the moderator for the California Subaru Enthusiast board was the regional warranty rep for Subaru - he contacted the repairing dealership, and had them change the "warranty" to "customer pay".

His bragging cost him $6k - and rightfully so, as he shouldn't have been covered anyway.

Moral? If you're going to blow up your car and return it to stock for a warranty repair, don't brag about it on the internet - especially when the manufacturer's regional warranty rep is online with you.
    on talking to the techs. I'll be using LaRocca Performance or Crazy Horse (both in NJ, I'm in PA) for the chip mods, I'll do the rest myself.
    Great story...reminds me of one on stangnet where this guy who worked as a tech in a dealership boasted of getting this Cobra owned by a female in for work that he kept for like 3 days and thoroughly thrashed on the road (think Ferris Bueler's Day Off); he even posted that since she was a woman, she'd never know the difference...

Well, turns out that his victim was also a member of the boards, and his posting (even which dealership it was) pretty much incriminated him. She printed the whole thing out and showed it to the dealer; the tech lost his job, was banned from the boards and the dealership ended fixing everything as quickly as they could, free of charge.

Never underestimate people's stupidity... : )
    discussed it with my managing partner (lemon law/dealer fraud attorney that I consult for).

We discussed just how ugly that could've gotten.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Hey guys, I'm soon purchasing bullitt with 20000miles, but wanted to know how reliable is this car. This will be my first american brand.
    The current gen Mustang is pretty reliable as American cars go. The chassis is seriously old, so there are no unknowns there, the engine is going on 10 years old and is the one used in cop cars/taxis, so it's solid. The current transmission (T-3650) is pretty good, and an improvement over the earlier choices.

Biggest bugaboo with Mustangs is build quality...it'll be the little, annoying things that'll drive you nuts. My rear axle squeaks over bumps occasionally, my seat belts don't like to retract, the transmission clunks into 2nd when cold, my driver's window shrieks when it goes down (rubbing issues)... If you can live with these little flaws, then you're set.

I personally love the Bullitts (all Mustangs for that matter), and think what they offer far outweighs the small problems. Since you're used to imports, you may find the car loud, uncouth, rough and antiquated. But that's the fun... ; )
    "loud, uncouth, rough and antiquated"

You're talking about me! Stop that!
    Good thing you're getting that Cobra...did you consider the Mach 1 as well?

But that's actually one of the things I'm a little worried about with the 2005...that it will lose that rough-around-the-edges feel that the current one has.
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    Pathfinder13 I just purchased a Green Bullitt #2605 and love it. John_324 is right the windows sometime sqeak when going down and there may be minor issues here and there but Ford did this one right. Just last Sunday I guy pulled up next to me in a sweat 63 Vette and complimented on what a nice car it was. I end up driving with the radio off and windows down just so I can here the exhaust.
    but it's not supercharged - I want a 500 hp car, and to get there with a Mach 1, you need an aftermarket blower.

Also, the Cobra has IRS and a 6-speed - the 6-speed has a 2.66 first gear - way higher than the 3.35 first gear in the old T-5s and the newer 5-speeds, so rear gears are nearly unlimited.

I'm from the school of realism, so why leave 3.55s in a car with a 2.66 first and a .68 sixth gear? 4.11s are a given for me, and maybe a 4.27 or 4.56. With a 4.11 rear gear, 160 mph is still obtainable, plus the joy of all that increased acceleration through the gear range is awesome.

With the 5-speed, 3.55s are as high as you can go, and you might as well forget first gear - why make a change like that only to effectively make your 5-speed a 4-speed? 3.73s and 4.11s on a 5-speed car becomes a drag slicks only proposition.
    that almost got the Mach 1 the vote was the cost - x-plan minus the rebate makes a Mach 1 cost around $24k - $33k is the best I can do on a Cobra. What the heck, though, I'm 40, I can afford it, and the Cobra is what I want..
    Do the Cobras have 3.55s from the factory? I know the Mach1s and auto GTs do...

I'm keeping my GT's stocker 3.27s...for me and my abilities, it's plenty (at least for now...have considered 3.73s at points though).

Re the 5spd to 4spd, LOL. It already seems like the GT is a 4spd with a really tall overdrive...
    have 3.55s stock. The 4-speed comment? You're right, but 5th gear in a Mustang with 3.55s or 3.73s is a blast - you don't have to downshift to pass someone. Again, though, you lose your first gear.

I mean to tell you, though, swapping to a 3.55 or 3.73 (even a 3.55 from your 3.27) is like getting an extra 50 hp - I was in shock the first time I drove my '86 after swapping from an open diff with 3.08s to 3.55s and a Ford limited slip - best $600 (including labor) that I've ever spent.
  • stevensteven Member Posts: 2
    While gears are known as the "best bang for you r buck" for mustangs (generally). That may not be the case for these cars. Traction is the one thing that is tough to come by in these cars even dead stock. Going to a lower gear set only decreases traction even more. Believe me, stock 3:55's provide plenty of acceleration for "Terminator" Cobra's.

The reason why stock 03/04's generally only run high 12's to low 13's in the 1/4 is due to high 60' times 2.0-2.3. If you look at the stock trap speeds, 109-113mph, there is PLENTY of power there, going to that lower rear gear is only going to make getting a jump off the line that much more difficult.

If your not worried about digging it out of a hole and want great acceleration from a roll, the 3:55's are just fine there also. These things "get it" when the big pedal is hammered, even with the 3:55's.
    launching my old 5.0s (I've had 6) was nearly impossible, even with 3.08s or 2.73s.

I was just doing the mental math -

My thing is, why not use gears to make a 6 transmission gears more usable? In a perfect situation, with no drag and stock gears, the car would top out at 250 mph - we all know that's impossible, and there's nowhere that could happen, but what if?

Why not change the range of usuable power where the thing tops out at only 150 - think of how explosive it would be in the first 5 gears...

By the way, I'm NOT even remotely interested in drag racing - in fact, I pretty much hate it - it bores me. I race autocross (3 different classes) and will be looking at the American Iron Club Racing series and other Mustang club events - think of the additional punch in the midrange and top end with deeper gears...with no consideration for dragstrip-style launches.
  • stevensteven Member Posts: 2
    I would highly recommend a test drive in one of these mules. The torque produced is early and huge. So even with 3:55's acceleration is not much of a problem. I have only gone to one autocross event, the 3:55's didnt preclude me from running good laps.

I just wouldnt be so quick to ditch those stock gears. Test it out. You may like them.

If you did swap them out I would think going to 4:10's would be decent. 3:73's arent enough of a jump to notice much difference.

Also, these DOHC 4.6's arent anything like the 96-99, 01 Cobra's. Those engines LOVED to rev, this engine makes MUCH more power earlier and werent designed to rev like those of the past. My car made 300+ft-lbs at 2000rpm, stock.

No matter what you decide, these are fun cars. Basically 400+hp and close to 400ft-lbs torque stock for right around $30k. WOW!
    one highly modified - launching is a nightmare, but I'm from the school of there's no substitute for cubic inches, plus the Tim Allen philosophy that everything is better if it has more power...

I'll be doing the Apten Engineering supercharger modification, a chip, a 2.76" pulley, Hooker full length headers and x-pipe with higher flow cats, and a Flowmaster catback (2 chamber mufflers) and a K&N intake. It's amazing that less than $2500 gets you over 100 hp on these cars. There's not many cars on the market that can do an extra 100 for $4-5k, much less $2000-2500...
    and wishy-washy stuff, as we'd planned to forego the Cobra for now and get my wife a new truck, we've decided to switch back.

I'm going to buy a used '03 or '04 Cobra in late July from a buddy (also an Edmunds poster), then trade our other rig at the beginning of next year (like right on Jan 1st or 2nd) for the new Ford truck.

Can't wait to cruise main street in that Cobra...
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Most effective mod out there is to re-program the stock computer. You can do that yourself with a hypertech scanner tool. You can get some impressive gains with that alone. Plus it'll recognize if your SC 4.6 is the later version with the head fix (remember the early 4.6 SC had the bad heads that caused overheating because of a flaw in the combustion chamber). If it isn't, it won't let you reprogram the ecu, causing damage. Plus, the tool will pay for itself quickly because you can scan for codes, gather real data, tweak as you go, plus return the settings to stock if your dealer isn't SVT of cool with ANY mods. Another thing, the Hypertech tool is for a stock SC Cobra, so if you do the cat-back, gears, cold-air induction, let them know and they'll tweak the program. Just watch the launches: the IRS is kind of weak, too many hard drag launches, 1/8- & 1/4 mile runs will bullet that thing in a hurry.

If you do the pulley, get the kit that uses a bolt-on system for the pulley and a new idler. It'll allow you to change pulleys w/o having to use a puller each time. You can go to a 3.0" pulley w/o having to change the belt,

Good luck.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    I am looking at a 2003 Cobra with under 2,700 miles and the asking price is 28,990. It is at a used car dealers lot that deals in late model luxury cars, supposedly at wholesale prices. I haven't spoken to a salesman yet, but I am curious as to how they have this car on the lot, it is for all purposes new. It looks perfect. And the asking price seems reasonable too. Maybe I'm paranoid! Why would this car have been wholesaled? Or could they have taken it in trade? I know I should just talk to a salesman, but I want to get as much info as possible first. They say that they will provide the CarFax report for any of their cars. What should I check out for possible problem areas? And how do you know if the car has the improved head design or not? What are the differences between the 03's and 04's? The 04 no longer has the gas guzzler tax, how was that accomplished? Thanks for your input.
    and that will show you the origin and original owner of the car. Those cars are actually wholesaling at $25-26 at auction (I'm a buyer/appraiser), so $28,990 is NOT a wholesale figure.

Realistic selling price would be around $27k even.

They could have easily taken it in trade - people buy and trade cars on a whim all the time - don't think that just because you and I do some research there aren't 100 other guys who buy something because their girlfriend thinks it's cool, then they end up unhappy a month later - happens all the time. CARFAX will give you the real answer on that question, though.

Other than color choices (Screaming Yellow instead of Zinc Yellow, and the deletion of Mineral Grey), there aren't any real changes between '03s and '04s.

I can only assume that Ford did some kind of reclassification with EPA that changed the gas guzzler tax status.
    I went to check out the Cobra today, shortly before they closed so I didn't take it for a test drive. It is in new condition, as it should be with only 2,700 miles. The owner of the car lot told me that he took it in trade on a Mercedes CLK, I forget which model. Supposedly this gentleman bought the Cobra new, owns several cars and changes them frequently. Like you said, the CarFax report will give the ownership history. This dealership specializes in late model import luxury cars. In fact, the Cobra is the only American made car on his lot.

He told me that he could have the car Ford Certified for whatever warranty period I would be interested in. I have to do a bit of research on this, I'm not familiar with how this works cost wise etc. Are you familiar with this at all? And it's still under it's new car warranty, and I'd be able to find out when it went into service to see how much time was left on this.

Just a few observations from spending a little seat time in the car:
    Shifter position is a bit awkward for me, I have to reach for it a little bit, clutch effort is on the heavy side, but I would expect that in a car with this much power and torque, it sure needs a heavy duty clutch.
    The sound system really didn't impress me, but I didn't try to dial it in to my tastes to see if I could get it any better. What do you think of the sound?
    Of course no one buys this car for the stereo. The 390hp V8 makes its on music!

As far as price, he said he has room to work. His asking price is right on the money according to KBB, Edmunds, and Black book. You think it can be had for about 27k? Thanks for the info and sorry to all for the long winded post!
    Ford Certified? Only if he's a Ford dealer, otherwise, sounds hinky.

Clutch, shifter, etc? yes, they should be stiff, considering the job is has to do.

Ford's Mach 460 sound system is one of the best on the OEM market, save for the Levinson Sound System in Lexus products and some of Acura's and Cadillac's offerings. Heckuva lot cheaper than a Levinson system, too...

I love music, and may even add another sub and some more power, but the sound of that car through 2-chamber Flowmasters, in my opinion, outranks anything any stereo can put out.

$26-27 is a realistic price - some "high-end" dealers change more for the pleasure of doing business with them, but they don't pay any more at auction for their cars than say, a regular Ford dealer - don't buy into the "we're a high line place" bunk.

Contact me off-line, if you need, I have several lines on used Cobras - other places you can look if they don't want to budge on price.
    Well, the Cobra sold the next day, I never even got the chance to take it for a test drive. I had a feeling it would sell quick, but not that quick!

What is different on the 03 10th anniversary edition vs the regular model? There are still a few of those new floating around. Thanks.
    the 10th Anniversary model has special red leather seat inserts and interior appointments, different wheels, and red Brembo brake calipers instead of Ford units - looks really good if the car is grey or black.

No performance differences, don't fall for any stories about how much more they're worth - cool and all, but only worth $500-750 more.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Well what about the white Cobra Mustang II that Farah drove in "Charlie's Angels", huh, huh, huh? Shouldn't the 2003 be like a 30th anniversary model?

Nevermind, I think the medication is kicking in now.....
  • revmattrevmatt Member Posts: 14
    The 10th anniversary is the 04... is it not?
    No, it's the 03.
    the first Cobra was a 1993.

I'll be looking for a 10th Anniversary Edition when I buy mine - I love the interior.
  • calambacalamba Member Posts: 14
    Might be interested in this private sale. A 2001 Cobra Vert with 29K miles, asking is $19K, yellow. Single owner, with maintenance records, no accidents and/or repaints. Any thoughts will be appreciated
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    That sounds pretty good a friend of mine had a 2001 Cobra conv. red manual trans and around 13 to 15k on it an he paid 23k I believe. I am in Denver and cars seem to go for more here for what ever reason.
  • 01mustanggt01mustanggt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01MUSTANGGT CONVERTIBLE with a vortec supercharger and the Flow master exhaust. It's just not punching like it should. Does anyone have some simple tweaks I can do to improve performance. I'm new to this forum and not much of a mechanic to be honest with you.
    The best "bang for the buck" mod I've ever done was running a 3.55 or 3.73 gear with a Ford Racing limited slip...

Considering the ratios in your '01's transmission. 3.73s work GREAT! On the older T-5s, with the 3.35 first gear, 3.55s are as high as you'd want for the street (instead of 3.73s or 4.11s), otherwise, first gear is useless and 5th is now 4th...
  • 01mustanggt01mustanggt Member Posts: 2
    I have an automatic. I've thought about gears and I think I will look into that. Sounds awesome. I might do that and do an off road H- pipe this summer. I also have that programer 3 chip, but it gets confusing when setting transmission shift points matched up to the engines rpms and tire size. I will have to read the manual more in depth because I'm not much of a mechanic.
    They can do a gear swap for you, and for probably not much money, set up your programming to optimal specs for what you're running.

3.73s or 4.10s work GREAT with an automatic and I think you'll be like a kid in a candy store once you step on the "go" pedal after the modifications.
  • rac43rac43 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 97 base stang with a cobra motor installed. Motor looks 94-95, a 5.0 liter. Is there anywhere I can look to I.D. where this motor came from or at least what year it was made? Thanks in advance!!!!
  • cobraowner03cobraowner03 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have 54K miles on my 2003 Ford Cobra Mustang convertible. I have had several problems (albeit all covered under my extended Ford warranty) with shifting and also engine cooling.

In regards to shifting, Ford ended up changing out and replacing my transmission after me bringing the car into the dealer approximately 6 times. The car drove great, shifted and clutched better than the day I bought it, and worked great for about 6K Now, I'm having problems again with the shifting. Has anyone had this problem?

I have also had cooling system problems. My car has overheated more than 8 times now. I have had 3 thermostats and have been towed to the dealer 8 times. Now the latest dealer is telling me that maybe I have a defective radiator. Has anyone had this problem too?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Other than the above problems, the car has been flawless and has been fun to drive!
  • crisp64crisp64 Member Posts: 1
    I have seen a 98 SVT Cobra, 16500 miles, looks mint. The owner is asking $17k for it but Edmunds puts the price closer to $13k for private and $16k for retail. Is there really a premium for this car? Also looking ot use this car for daily commute, but not sure it is really suitable - any thoughts?
  • timbersnaketimbersnake Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 cobra convert with 235,000 miles it runs great....however the rear end has noise. factory gears (3.27 I think) 5 speed and syncs are bad in it...has trouble going into 5th gear..you have to let rpms down to under 2000 to get it in...Im thinking of changing it to a tremec 6 speed and rear end gears to 411...does anyone have any imput on this? another question is that with that many miles I will be rebuilding prob next year....(adding a procharger)...will I ever be able to get close to my money back out of it...right now I have about $ 10,500. in it. any help or advise is greatly appreciated.
    Timber*
  • columbusrocketcolumbusrocket Member Posts: 2
    bought my 03 Cobra in April 05. Now about 40,000 miles. Had clunking sound at rear w/ shifting. Dealer had a "clutch in the differential" replaced. Less clunking, but still there sometimes. Dealer has it again now & I am trying to find if there have been other owners w/ similar problems. Why did Ford replace your tranny?
  • columbusrocketcolumbusrocket Member Posts: 2
    Do you or anyone else have any info on whether Ford did anything on this? I bought my 03 Cobra from a dealer in Apr 05. Trying to get the clunking sound that I get sometimes fixed if it really is a problem.
    Clunking in lower gears as I let the clutch out. Pretty normal driving---not on the gas much.
    (1st time I brought back to dealer they replaced a "clutch in the differential"---probably not as frequent now, but still happens.)
  • crb03cobracrb03cobra Member Posts: 1
    MY 2003 COBRA HAS 26000 MILES, DEALERSHIP HAS REPLACED COMPLETE CLUTCH ASSEMBY TWICE, CLUTCH DISC, FLYWHEEL, PRESSURE PLATE , EVERYTHING. SOMETIMES MY TRANS WILL NOT SHIFT INTO 1ST GEAR. BUT AFTER GOING INTO SECOND AND BACK TO 1ST IT WILL GO IN, I HAVE HAD IT IN 6 TIMES
This discussion has been closed.