Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Cobra and SVT Cobra

124»

Comments

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, crb03cobra! You might also want to ask the folks in the Transmission Traumas discussion to see if they have any answers for you.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Have had my GT Premium coupe for only about 2 months and am already seriously thinking about getting the Cobra -- got pictures of it on my desktop. Will be calling dealers Mon. From what I've heard so far, they're due out sometime next year. Anybody know when and how to get one? I've heard the price will be less than $40k, somewhere around $36-39k? Is that right?
    To answer my own question: Called a dealer today and talked to the chief honcho. He said I could leave a refundable deposit, get on the list, and would get a Cobra when they came into production sometime around summer/fall '06.
  • annandbryanannandbryan Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Cobra and tried fitting '04 SVT 9" rims/tires (275/40/17 tires) but they stuck out beyond the fenders on the front. I have seen this same set of rims/tires on a base mustang and they fit fine. Was there a different front rotor/hub used on the '99 Cobra than in the '03-'04 Cobra models? What is the widest rim/tire combo that will fit the front of the '99 Cobra?
  • rlischerrlischer Member Posts: 1
    Have you driven a Mustang before? I have had many Mustangs over the years and the clutch is always very heavy and the tranny is always picky. Most buy an aftermarket shifter. It is a car that you will feel the road and every bump and vibration will take some getting use to. I like the hard suspension and zero body roll. It is more of a race car than it is a smooth driving machine. If you want quiet you better stick with the BMW.
  • mpchadmpchad Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 cobra, where do i hook up the boost gauge and the oil temperature gauge?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Uh, you do know you are replying to a post that is nearly 2 years old...... ;) :surprise:
  • badsnakebadsnake Member Posts: 1
    is there some way to obtain an original window sticker for this vehicle and/or a copy of the original bill of sale? any specific names, phone numbers, addresses that would help would be greatly appreciated. 1FAFP48Y03F419769
  • cobra123cobra123 Member Posts: 1
    2003 mustang cobra SVT

25k miles have had minor gear slop type noise since new and its progressivly worsened and I am about to take it in for service. Have called 1-800-ford SVT and asked about this and they say the clank sound is more pronounced due to the IRS rear and that it should not pose a problem. But a car that at least lists for about 40K (conv.) should really not have this sound. Other wise this car is and has been amazingly reliable. And the factory 400 HP is amazing specially in the cooler winter weather. Glad I purhased the extend warranty plan though.
  • stevestempostevestempo Member Posts: 1
    hey whats up im new so im still learning what to do on this site do yoy run regualar gas in your mustang
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, stevestempo.

The message you're responding to is more than 4 years old, so the poster may not be around to answer your question. I'm hopeful that someone else here will jump in with an answer for you, though :-)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• brlz28brlz28 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at a 2003 Cobra SVT, but i will be driving it most of the winter in OH. Are you in columbus and have you driven it in ohio snow? is it a disaster or possible as long as you are smart?
    and have to get babyseat in back....anyone have comments on that?
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I own a 2002 V6 Mustang and I drive it all year long in the New England winters. I purchased the Blizzak WS-50 snow tires and my Mustang drives like a 4WD in the snow with the 4 Blizzaks on it. I also have a baby seat in the back to put my little one in it. Don't worry about driving a Mustang in the snow. As long as you get the Blizzaks you will be fine.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    Honors students, no. Chem majors doing high-level research, forget about it. No, the media wants jerks with pimped-out rides. :(
    Newest issue of Winding Road has a nice article on the outgoing Ford GT and incoming GT500, including nice photos and videos of GT500's assemby.

The GT500 is made on the same assembly line as the stock Mustangs, in Flat Rock, MI. Production, according to the article, is 10,000 per year. Wt/Hp & Fr/Rr ratios are not all that good, making the car heavy, w/ weight up front. The solid rear axle was dealt w/ "diplomatically," with the article flattly stating that it plays a major role in keeping the price of the car down.
  • tom7711tom7711 Member Posts: 1
    Karen,
    My daughter has a 2001 Mustang V6 (5 speed) and lives in Arizona. She is expecting her first baby in January and is having trouble finding a baby seat to fit n the back seat of the Mustang. She does not want to get rid of the Mustang its a very nice car. It sounds like you found one that fits? Can you provide information on the manufacture and model of the baby seat?

Thanks,

Tom7711
  • kicobrakicobra Member Posts: 1
    I CURRENTLY OWN A 2003 COBRA AND I ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH REAREND BACKLASH/CLUNKING. AFTER SEVERAL VISITS TO THE SVT DEALER BOTH RESPONSES WERE THAT THIS IS NORMAL WEAR. I ONLY HAVE 25,000 MILES ON THE CAR. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON HOW TO REMEDY THIS PROBLEM.
  • leftywaynleftywayn Member Posts: 15
    Try posting your issue on a more active Mustang forum.

http://forums.stangnet.com/

http://www.svtperformance.com/

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/

I don't know of a clunk in the rear, but my '01 Cobra's transmission will make a clunking sound when shifting into first gear. Nothing unusual there, many have it.
  • bigal50bigal50 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Cobra and was hearing a rear end clicking sound. After a couple of visits to the dealer they changed the rear spindle and the noise went away. let me know if you have solved your problem. I have owned 3 Mustang GT's previous to my Cobra and love this car more every time I drive it.
  • punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    The mustangs weight problems will probably keep me out of another mustang. That and the much higher price (sorry, but over $40K and I'll go to the Vette).

My car is a blast over about 45mph, but around town it's a hog. I test drove a Civic Si a couple of weeks ago and it was actually much more fun around town.
  • svtmustangsvtmustang Member Posts: 3
    Don't know if you ever resolved your clunking, but here's another possibility: Check your front subframe bolts. Front bolts should be 14mm, rears 12mm. Apparently Ford incorrectly installed 12mm bolts in the fronts on a large number of Cobras. I read about this problem in a magazine article a couple of years ago. Basicaly the clunk you're hearing may be the whole subframe shifting in the chassis. My '99 Cobra used to have a clunk too - especially noticable in cold weather. I checked the bolts, and sure enough they were wrong (They're easy to check). I got the correct ones from Maximum Motorsports. It made a big difference.
  • setsvtsetsvt Member Posts: 1
    I work at a Ford Dealer and there is a TSB that says clunking between shifts is normal.
  • cobraman96cobraman96 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any suggestioins on what the best kind of Muffler is for a 1996 Mustang Cobra SVT? I am also going to be in need of a clutch soon, any suggestions?
  • robbylozzirobbylozzi Member Posts: 1
    I have the same clunking problem in my 03 cobra...

did you figure it out?

robbylozzi@yahoo.com
  • sgone930sgone930 Member Posts: 1
    I am a Porsche dude however my brother is Cobra all the way. Only, prob is he knows about as much about his cars as gas,oil & gas. (pedel) His driver has 310K miles on it as he drives 300 a day to work. This morning going into 5th, he missed a gear and pop. Lord knows what that means. Anyway, he tells me he thinks he slipped a tooth on the chain as it has low power in 5th about 2500 rpm. It won'r get out of it's own way. However it runs ok in all other gears. I I am tryin to get out of trailer to go get him. Can't he drive the bloody thing home slow??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks again Bill
This discussion has been closed.