Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I was wondering how well the leather seats are holding up. I had heard that they were somewhat on the plastic'y side or that only the seating surfaces were leather.
    I know that leather is usually slickery when it is new and once it's broken in it gets softer.
    Are they soft? hard? slippery?

I'd like to hear from owners that have some miles under them (parden the pun)

c'mon , let's get this discussion rolling.

Anybody notice that there is still no "problems and solutions" discussion for the Freestyle? I guess that's a good thing.
    (most likely though becasue it's such a new vehicle)

c'mon chop, chop....let's here some leather stories!
    (and keep them clean)
    :-)
  • funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for the answers!

I did find the 3rd power outlet in the front console -- great for recharging the cell phone!

Now if I could find Freestyle specific, front and rear mud flaps, I'd be all set!
  • bobnu75bobnu75 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone in the Chicago area mounted an I-Pass on the windshield? Do you have to avoid the blacked-out area around the rear-view mirror?
  • saramsaram Member Posts: 34
    Last week I noticed a rattle. Thought I would share it with you all just in case you were experiencing the same rattle.
    When I was driving the rattle sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. When my husband was driving it sounded like it was coming from the driver's side, although my husband said he heard it on the passenger side. Well we solved the mystery. I had a pair of sunglasses in the overhead sunglass compartment. Every bump made a rattle sound. We took them out and no longer hear the rattle.
    5885 miles later we are still loving our FreeStyle!
  • freestylegalfreestylegal Member Posts: 70
    leather stories:
    Nothing to report after 14,000 miles. I've never had leather before and now I wouldn't want to have anything else. Talk about easy to maintain. After that crappy looking polyester stuff in my 2003 Expedition (well, it was the bottom of the line trim level), I couldn't be happier.

I had to wipe down the area where my grandaughter sits and she gets sticky stuff here and there and I used some stuff that my better half uses on his 2002 150 Lariat--dunno now what it is. His truck seats look good, so I figured it's good enough for my car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anybody notice that there is still no "problems and solutions" discussion for the Freestyle?

With over 3,500 posts in here, it may be time Nitro. With emphasis on "solutions." :)

Steve, Host
  • mas23mas23 Member Posts: 38
    Has anyone in the Chicago area mounted an I-Pass on the windshield? Do you have to avoid the blacked-out area around the rear-view mirror?

I haven't mounted my I-Pass yet for the same reason. The blacked area would be perfect to mount it since it is behind the mirror, but I am concerned about adhesion to the tape. I will probably mount it there or not at all.
  • jpc99jpc99 Member Posts: 20
    I have an ez-pass in NY and I put mine in the "glove compartment" on the dash. The radio signal is not affected. I assume that yours uses rf communication as well.
  • brantybranty Member Posts: 53
    We have had our AWD Ltd (black/tan interior) since November and have 12,000 km on the odo. I find the leather very comfortable. As with most vehicles with leather the seating surfaces are only covered with leather (except the 3rd row which is vinyl). Over the last couple of weeks it has been quite hot in Toronto but I have not found the seats to be too hot - the perforations help.
    Compared to our 2000 MPV which had leather these seats are not as slippery and the leather is a bit softer. I think that the leather is just as good as what I have sat on in my mother in law's Lexus ES300 (which is not as 'supple' as I would expect for an upscale car).
    Anyway I am quite satisfied with the leather seats.
    I haven't had any problems/solutions to post yet. This is one great vehicle.
  • 3rdford3rdford Member Posts: 1
    Absolutely love my Freestyle and the 3300 miles I've logged on it so far, looking forward to a family road trip and camping vacation in it next week ... however, the cruise control died last weekend. First it kept cutting off while I was driving on the highway (and not doing anything to make it go off.) Then the resume button wouldn't work. And now it won't engage at all. I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at --- wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks!
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Thanks for the leather seat updates. It's good to hear that they're holding up well.
  • splpsplp Member Posts: 2
    Well how nice to was to get an idiot proof car. It told me it was time for an Oil Change. Well I had the oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube, because my local dealer never works around my time unless I leave the car. Well now that the oil has been changed the computer doesn't know that the oil was changed. Does anyone know how to reset the computer.
  • jjayjjay Member Posts: 28
    I can't remember exactly how to do it, but it tells you how to reset it in the manual.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Join other Freestyle enthusiasts in Edmunds.com Ford Freestyle Owners Club!
  • indybellindybell Member Posts: 40
    My wife is out shopping and has the vehicle so I'm doing this from recent memory - I just had the first oil change on Monday at 3500 miles.

Press the middle button on the steering wheel. The one between INFO and RESET. It may be called "setup" or something like that.

If you don't do anything after pressing it, it should scroll through a bunch of info about the status of just about everything on the vehicle. I kept pressing that button and manually walked it through the steps. One is the oil life.

When it displays the oil life, press and hold the reset button. (It also will tell you to do that step). It took me several attempts at pressing and holding to actually get the display to acknowledge that a reset took place. Hope that helps. (The manual may be a little more {or less!!} clear.)
  • splpsplp Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I'll give that a try.
  • northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    If you get into the "diagnostic messages" on your display (under "set-up" button on steering wheel I think, but memory is hazy), it will start cycling through the health of all systems, including oil life. If memory serves me right, you hold the reset button on the steering wheel for about three seconds while in the oil life mode, and your oil health indicator goes back to 100%. That's the general idea, anyway. It is in the manual, but it takes a while to find it. Good luck! :shades:
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    On the SE with Convenience Group, you press the button which is next to the speedometer until it reads oil life. Hold the button in until it beeps and re-sets back to 100%. Hope this applies to you.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    your reply was much more diplomatic than my reply would have been.
    i hope they put the right oil in.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • dgulinodgulino Member Posts: 38
    In the end, I have to laugh. About three hours before I was to bring the car in to have it connected to the computer scanner to find out the keyless access code, the service manager called me to apologize and to tell me that he had the access code all along and could have just told it to me, which he did. Apparently the salesman didn't know that the service department does this with each new vehicle with a keyless entry system that arrives on the lot. I guess the left hand really doesn't always know what the right hand is doing.

So now I have my code and my life is complete!
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I recall that some of you Freestyle owners changed your own oil/filter. I noted that the original oil filter on the car is not the same as the replacement that is recommended (FL820S). The fluted end of the original filter is different than the FL820S - I have a cap-type filter wrench for the FL820S but not the one that is currently on my Freestyle. Was the original filter easy enough to remove by hand that a cap-type filter wrench was not necessary? I have just a bit over 2,600 miles and want to change the oil at 3K. I know the weight is 5W20 but have not seen any synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in this weight.

LEATHER SEATING - I have used Lexol several times on the front and second row seats and notice the leather is a bit softer. Someone mentioned a family member has a Lexus ES300 and the leather in the Freestyle was just as good. In addition to the Freestyle, I have an 2002 Lexus ES300 and the leather in the Lexus is far nicer than in the Freestyle. I consider the quality of the leather in the Freestyle 'serviceable' whereas the leather in the Lexus is far more luxurious and supple with a much smoother grain. You get what you pay for and the content of each vehicle reflects its price point and segment.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    Hi to all! Just had the 2" Hidden Hitch installed. (part number 87108) The hitch was 139 - labor 60 - shipping 20 - cost me $228.54. Just in time to pick up the kiddo from bike camp tomorrow. I did have to tell the dealer to call the manufacturer since she was insisting the part wasn't made yet - it had just been released.

Went w/Hidden dealer after arguing w/3 different draw tite dealers to try to get that part ordered...another long story that does not need to be told.

Anyway - it is out there and available !
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    The original oil filter is a special type so the service department and extended warranty insurers can tell if the oil has been changed at least once. If the original filter is still on the vehicle after X number of miles the warranty may be voided. I had no trouble removing the original filter with the type of wrench that's a ring and slips over the filter. I did some extensive research on engine oil a couple of years ago. I decided that Castrol is as good as you can get. There are other excellent engine oils out there but Castrol is available nearly everywhere. I was using Castrol GTX 10W-30 in my Buick. When I purchased a 2004 Ranger and then my Freestyle, I've been using Castrol Syntec Blend 5W-20. It's a synthetic blend oil. I currently have seven changes worth in my basement. A local parts store puts it on sale so I stock up. In Minneapolis it goes for $2.99 a quart, and on sale from $1.99 to $2.49 a quart. I change every 3000 miles. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy.
  • willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    I also like to change my own oil/filters and it looks like the Freebie will be one of the easiest thing to accomplish. The only thing different I find is that the Freebie has an aluminum oilpan and so one has to be very careful not to overtighten the drain plug and stip the threads.A good reason why I avoid taking it to those jiffy lube joints.

I am planning to install a Fumoto oil drain valve in place of the standard plug.This will be much more convenient to drain the oil as well as the side benefit of releasing some oil if it's overfilled.And also for the sake of curiosity perhaps to take samples for used oil analysis some time in the future.

Check out this link which shows the oil drain procedure for a Mazda 6 which has essentially the same Duratec 3.0L engine as the Freebie with a Fumoto F-107 valve installed.
    http://www.mazda6tech.com/articles/how-to/change-the-6s-oil-3.0-v6-.html
    and also Fumoto's website for further info.
    http://www.fumotousa.com/main.htm
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I had the DrawTite 2" hitch (part # 75299) installed for my bike rack for about the same price. The hitch dealer had to call the manufacturer since it wasn't listed in their catalogue yet and I had to pay shipping charges, but at least they were very willing to do it. It looks fine installed - the only thing you can see is the receiver. All the rest of the hardware is hidden behind the rear bumper.
  • jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    to reset -- just set the button on odometer to the oil setting and then push in for 10 seconds--will go back to 100%
    BUT you have to remember to do this after the oil change!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Wow, Mazda's configuration really shoehorns in that oil filter! On that website procedure I would take issue with trying to get any filter off on that car with a strap type wrench. It is not possible on my 3.0 Duratech Taurus and it would appear to be even worse on the Mazda6 due to all the devices adjacent to the filter.

I have stuck religiously with the Motorcraft FL820S and a cap wrench that fits the flutes. Works great and the filters are readily available at low cost. I have found that AutoZone has the best every day price, though they always seem to have only one or two on the shelf.

I believe on Freestyle and Five Hundred Ford have made access to the filter easier than my Taurus.

It is no big deal loosening and retightening the plug in the aluminum casting pan without stripping unless you are an uncoordinated gorilla (which probably defines the average employee at quick change oil places!). I have probably done 17 of them by now on my Taurus, so will probably forego the drain valve option, though it is a minor convenience, assuming it is a reliable leakproof device.
    Thanks for the info and link. As BadgerFan mentions in a followup post, the filter on our Freestyles is located in a much more convenient location. I just purchased a strap type oil filter tool to remove the original oil filter. When I replace it with the FL820S I will use the cap-type filter wrench I already have for future changes. Someone above mentioned Castrol so I picked up a 5 qt container and one additional qt for the necessary 6 qts when I change the oil. It looks to be a very quick and easy job.

Thanks again -

M. J. McCloskey
  • 428cj428cj Member Posts: 52
    The Black on Black LTD AWD w/second row bench Freestyle I ordered in April has arrived. I pick it up tomorrow.
  • hank5658hank5658 Member Posts: 11
    hank5658 again - Well the first repair of the leaking power steering didn't take - we went back to the dealer and they replaced the hoses and the steering rack- $600 + covered by warranty. Tonight in the driveway I found another red puddle at the drivers side just in front of the door. The next trip makes it 3 attempts to fix the same problem. I believe the lemon law gives the dealer 4 tries - has anyone on the board used the lemon law and if so can I have some advice?
    No sour grapes from a malcontent here, read my previous posts, we really like this car.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    A large slip-joint pliers works well to grab just about any filter.
  • globecanvasglobecanvas Member Posts: 45
    What state?

In NY the lemon law kicks in if the dealer fails to fix the problem after 4 chances (meaning, it saves you from giving him a 5th chance), or if your vehicle is off the road for 30 days in the first 2 years of ownership. The dealer of course will fight every step of the way (most commonly by defining the problem too narrowly, such as "the first repair was the steering hoses, then the second was the pump, different problem"). If you get to that point, which of course I hope you don't, you should contact your state's attorney general's office for advice. It might help to mention to the dealer early (like now) that you are contacting the AG's office "just in case."
  • aplanaplan Member Posts: 2
    Where is the Hidden Hitch available and how is it different from the Draw-Tite? Thanks.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Congratulations. Enjoy your Freestyle. :D
    I have the new Freestyle home. It is beautiful and runs fantastic. Even in mile-high Denver it has great power. The critics are way out to lunch when they complain about the power. Also, it rides smoother that I thought possible. It is a fine tribute to Ford engineering. Another really cool thing is, since I ordered the car, it came in with my name on the window sticker.

The downside was the dealership. The x-plan price had increased by $111 from when I ordered it 60 days ago and the $1,000 plus $500 rebate went down to $1,000 two weeks ago (they claim). Shipping increased by $25. It took all day to make the deal that I thought was already made and I had to walk out once. I am still unhappy with the dealer experience and the revised deal, but II do have the car I wanted.
    Congratulations and you're going to enjoy your new vehicle.

I strongly suspect your dealership has pulled a fast one on you. They picked a good time to do that just when you are taking delivery of the car.Did you get a copy of the actual invoice ? Somewhere close to the bottom shows the X-Plan and A-Plan prices.If not, insist that they show it to you.The extra $500 is a Ford cash incentive for Blue Oval sale days thru June 30th if bought from dealer stock.If you bought thru a factory order before the sale period then it is questionable but I would check it out with Ford if you qualify.
    I really doubt Ford will increase the X-Plan price at yearend clearout time.

Good luck on the outcome.
  • sjcssjcs Member Posts: 2
    We just closed the deal on our Freestyle and our expecting delivery this week. I haven't done the financing yet as it was a dealer trade. My question is what is your experience with extended warranties and pricing of the warranties? Any help before I sit in the hot seat would be appreciated!
  • egm923egm923 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    It seems that you know more about car dealings than me so I have a question. I am attempting to buy a Freestyle SE AWD. It has the Conv. and safety packages. The sticker says about $28,600 and they are telling me I can have it for $26,400. When I saw the invoice, it was about $200 the X-plan. Is this a good deal? (I am taking the 0% financing instead of the $1000)
    Thanks
    The MSRP in April when I ordered was 33,950 with $650 being the destination and delivery. The x-plan price was $31,351.61. The MSRP on the sticker and invoice at time of delivery on 6-18-05 was $33,995 with $675 destination and delivery. The new x-plan price on the invoice is $31,455.52.

The final deal was the new x-plan price of $31,455 less the $1,000 rebate for a total of $30,455 plus taxes. I paid cash. What made me nervous is they had me initial numerous boxes on a Ford x-plan sheet with all the line items blank. I questioned this, but they said there was no way they could fill in all the numbers at that time. I initialed, however, that was the one piece of paperwork that I did not receive a copy. I smelled something wrong, but I did not want to leave the car in the hands of the dealer any longer. One more thing. There was a line item on the x-plan form for an increase/decrease over the x-plan price when ordered.

Based on your reply, it appears if I refused to accept delivery, the next buyer could have used x-plan and received the $1,000 rebate plus the $500 because now the vehicle I ordered was now "in stock."

I have poured over the vehicle and the fit and finish is perfect. On the Freestyle, 500 and Montegos I have viewed in the last eight months, the dash storage compartment sometimes had to be shut twice to close. This one snaps shut on the first closing. As I said before, the car is great, but I will look to another dealer when I replace my F-150 with a new King Ranch.
    First of all I don't consider myself an expert on car dealings.But I do happen to do a fair amount of research before I formulate my own strategy when I bought our Freestyle Ltd AWD in Canada. As far as prices go it's like comparing apples to oranges in relation to U.S.prices. In fact our Ltd AWD comes fully loaded as standard equipment with the exception of DVD and the split 2nd row 7-seater.In the U.S.the Limited's options are unbundled.

Check out this Freestyle section Ford Freestyle: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences
    to get a better handle on what others are paying for their SE AWD and factor in the other options to your needs.

I did not quite understand your question ...."about $200 the X-Plan"
    The 0% financing sounds very enticing in lieu of $1000. BUT if you do a cash flow analysis according to Ford's loan payment chart 0% @ $27.78/K your monthly payt will
    be $733.40 ; @ 1.9% @$28.60/K the monthly payt is $755, based on $26,400 price.
    The $21.60 mo. savings is no big deal and if one is to do a time value of money calculation at say 1.9% APR this will only amount to a PRESENT VALUE of $396.
    So clearly, IF THERE ARE NO FURTHER CONSIDERATIONS the $1000 cash reduction in price is the better deal.

However the above is a little oversimplified. Because #1, paying out a full lump sum is a big deal and hard on the budget. #2, consider investing the money SAFELY to get a return better than 2% APR and you will be ahead of the game to take out Ford's rate of 1.9% for 36months or longer.

Another tip is, go to Ford's website and tell them you're ready to buy a vehicle IMMEDIATELY and request for a e-Certificate for $750 good until June 30th.Not sure it will work but is worth a try.Chances should be good as dealers are stuck with high inventories and the $1000 dealer cash is an incentive to reduce stocks and make room for MY2006s as well as the new Fusion/Milan,etc models which Ford is banking on future sales. So holding out for another month may be another option as the situation gets a little more desperate.Consider GM publicizing sales at employee prices and also Ford encouraging employees to hand out their X-Plan PINS and being financially rewarded.July and August sales should very interesting but there will be limited choices on the remaining stock.
  • webbcamwebbcam Member Posts: 13
    This is a copy of a forum posting I sent last month.

When I purchased my SEL AWD last month the dealer wanted over $2000 for the extended warranty (I choose 5 year 75,000 powertrain only). I offered him $1000 and he countered with $1600. I declined and next day went online with Ford ESP.

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/

After I registered they sent me a promotional code good for $185 off any warranty. The two I considered were the BasicCare plan (one step up from Powertrain only) for $870 ($685 after discount) and the ExtraCare plan for $960 ($775 after discount). I purchased the ExtraCare plan for less than half of what the dealer wanted for the Powertrain only!!! I'm happy.

BTW I love my Freestyle..... even more than my 93 Explorer!

Regards,

Webbcam
  • egm923egm923 Member Posts: 2
    That is great advice. Thank you so much. I will definitely try to email ford and see if they will do the e-cert. Never heard of it but worth a go. Do they combine it with other insentives?

Oh, I meant on the invoice, the X-plan was $200 more than what he was going to sell the Freestyle to me for. I probably would have bought it but I was not a fan of the color (Titanium green).
    Thanks!!!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I wonder how many people actually use the extended warranty prior to 75K miles? I've never had any major problems until I hit 100K miles, so that's why I never buy extended warranties.
    ......"the e-Cert. Never heard of it but worth a go. Do they combine it with other insentives?"

it says....
    ....".This offer can be used in conjunction with most consumer offers made available by Ford of Canada at the time of purchase or lease with the exception of any RCL Loyalty Certificate, Retail Appreciation Bonus, Ford Graduate Recognition Program , or Young Drivers of Canada Savings Certificate. A,X, and Z Plan members are eligible for this program. This offer is not applicable to any Fleet or Government delivery."
    Somewhere else it also says that it excludes the hot selling 2005 Ford Mustang.

We don't normally get as good deals here as you folks down south so as I said your chances look pretty favourable to get similar or better deal. Go get 'em.!

To Webbcam: re Extended Warranty.Good heads up. Both you and Bruneau1 did well.
    I almost fell off my chair when my dealer quoted $2300.I didn't even bother to respond.
    I'm also concerned about the longterm reliability of the CVT as my wife does not rack up high mileage so chances are we won't detect problems during the warranty period. Won't mind paying low price similar to yours or else I'll take my chances without.
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    my friend was considering one of these vehicles and i was wondering which one would be better, any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, Tiger
  • anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    I was able to get it at our local hitch shop. I did have to pursuade them to call the dealer and verify it was out since it was new. It was a little less expensive than the draw-tite and many shops in the area will no longer carry draw-tite. (they charge dealers shipping now so lots of them dropped the line) The few dealers we found that did carry the line could not get us an answer as to when it would get here, etc. I really needed it by a certain time and just got tired of messing w/the others. I'm not sure the differences, you could check on line by part number. It worked fine w/the Thule bike carrier we have.

Take care -
    Greetings all:

I've noticed a weird screeching/clunking sound when I start up my Freestyle after is been sitting for two days or more. Upon startup the engine (or something else under the hood) makes a screeching/clunking sound as the engine turns over. Also, when I engage the climate control there is a similar clunking sound that has me concerned.

On the other hand, if I drive my Freestyle every day (like yesterday and today) it starts up as it should without any peculiar sounds from the engine or when activating the climate control.

I am wondering if it has to do with the region I live in (mid-Atlantic - central VA) where the humidity can cause one to sweat just by thinking about it.

Other than the above issue, my Freestyle has been perfect. I truly enjoy driving this car and the mileage and performance is more than acceptable in spite of what some auto reviewers say about lack of power.

Best regards -

M. J. McCloskey - AWD Limited - Titanium
  • mastylinmastylin Member Posts: 3
    We had the same problem with sunglasses making a rattling sound in the sunglass compartment. The front side has cushioning, but the backside of the compartment where the temples of the glasses rest, is just plastic. I purchased some heavy duty self stick felt at Wal-mart, the kind you put on the bottom of a table lamp, and cut two pieces to cover all the plastic area. No more rattles, and the sunglasses still fit in with no problem!

Nancy
  • saramsaram Member Posts: 34
    Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the solving the problem! I will get some of that too, because there is really no place else to store my sunglasses when I am not wearing them where they won't be in the way!
    almost 6000 miles and still loving the FreeStyle!! :)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'm a fan of the Titanium Green color actually...

I've never heard of the E-Certificate either...