Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Yes.
    The Mustang is the only hit Ford has.
    The Crown Vic was the only V8 RWD choice, the Dodges will put an end to that- How many retail sales does the CV have?
    The GT serves only as corporate jewelry to show off. How's the rest of the SVT line?
    Freestyle- Flop, and already cancelled.
    500, Flop.
    E-Vans, Nicely updated 1975 models.
    Ranger, They are nice, for 1982's
    F-150, ugly but still selling less than expected, just wait for the new Chevy

And then there's the typical Ford ADHD plan where they introduce a fine idea poorly executed, never update it and then run away: Cougar, Blackwood, T-Bird, Marauder and soon, Freestyle and Mark LT.

If you think Ford is a healthy company, you are way off. They are in big trouble.
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    I for one, never considered an Explorer. My decision came down to the Pacifica and the Volvo, the Freestyle was by far the better value.

I never considered the Explorer either. I don't understand why Ford could actually think that Freestyles are stealing sales away from the Explorer...they're two different animals completely.

Maybe the problem is that the Explorer makes profits of ~ $10000 per vehicle (it is basically a pick-up with a cap and the design has alreday paid for itself) and the Freestyle is new and design costs are still being paid.
    One stolen Freestyle sale from Explorer makes a big hit on profits.
  • 428cj428cj Posts: 52
    "The Mustang is the only hit Ford has."

As I said, all those others I mention are leading the segment in sales. If they are the best, the others sell less in the category.

"The Crown Vic was the only V8 RWD choice, the Dodges will put an end to that- How many retail sales does the CV have?"

The Dodge has made no impact yet. The Crown Vic has healthy end user sales, although it is the over-60 crowd, Crown Vic and Grand Marquis have the highest customer loyalty rate of and modem made on the planet. Not only that, users scream to keep the basic size, drivetrain, etc as it is.

"The GT serves only as corporate jewelry to show off. How's the rest of the SVT line? "

According to Blue Oval news, the rest of the SVT line is going very well and it is being expanded with the new Shelby-types.

"Freestyle- Flop, and already cancelled.
    500, Flop. "

The Chicago cars are selling neat their first-year targets at the current run-rate. Cars need to be updated much more frequently. Not every success can be a Crown Vic. Flexible Manufacturing Ford has in place allow for this.

"E-Vans, Nicely updated 1975 models.
    Ranger, They are nice, for 1982's
    "

Ford still leads in both segments no matter what your opinion.

"F-150, ugly but still selling less than expected, just wait for the new Chevy"

Chevy still cannot unseat the F-150. Chevy has tried and failed each time. The Ford truck division stays one step ahead. Ford is on targeted sell over 900K this year -- making it two years in a row 0f 900+ sales which is an automotive industry first.

"And then there's the typical Ford ADHD plan where they introduce a fine idea poorly executed, never update it and then run away: Cougar, Blackwood, T-Bird, Marauder and soon, Freestyle and Mark LT. "

Cougar had its place. My daughter still has her '99 and it still looks and runs good. Ford learned from Blackwood that you need 4X4. Mark L/T sales are good and the vehicle cost is low. The monthly numbers are holding up well. T-Bird needs another look and will get it. Once you go retro, the next model needs to be different. There is no double retro. Marauder was nice but too limited in its target market. However, when all car buyers on mother earth were polled 80 days after a the sale regarding satisfaction, Marauder was number 1, Excursion was number 2 and some Lexus model (the Mercury of Toyota) came in third.

"If you think Ford is a healthy company, you are way off. They are in big trouble"

I think Ford will do quite well in the future. They made the right changes. Remember, it is always darkest before it is pitch black.
  • northlakesnorthlakes Posts: 368
    The Freestyle may have been designed to counter all of the Explorer historical challenges (rollover, crashworthiness, gas mileage, hauling space, etc.) by a department trying to outdo the SUV group. But if Ford tried to seriously sell these Freestyle improvements versus the Explorer, they would be damaging Explorer profits by their own hand. Could this be the marketing dilemma? Their best sales story is against one of their own vehicles? I do agree that they are different beasts.

This note is from a July 1, 2005 Ford press release:
    "Among trucks, the company continued to see higher sales among crossover utility vehicles. Combined sales for the Ford Freestyle, Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, and Volvo's XC70 and XC90 were 28,342, up 31 percent compared with a year ago. Combined sales for traditional sport utility vehicles SUVs were off 3 percent in June."

:shades:
  • "the rest of the SVT line is going very well "

How do you like that 2005 Focus SVT? How about that new Lightning? Oh yeah, there are NO SVT vehicles anymore.

Frankly, anyone who would buy a New 1982 Ranger, has simply not gone shopping.

Yes, the Mark LT (Nice name- hah!) is burning up the sales charts at about 600 units per month.
    The Marauder is a perfect example of what's wrong with Ford. They had a great idea, and some dope decided, since it killed the Blackwood, they should only make it in black. Then, once they scared off anyone who doesn't live in snow country, they came out with other colors. By the time the market discovered it and there started to be some buzz, it had already been killed off (Like the Freestyle). It was a great car and well pulled off, so why was it killed?

The Mustang is the only hit they have come up with in years.
    I hope it's a sign of things to come rather than a fluke.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Have an Explorer already, wanted the other "car" to get better mileage. Choice was Pacifica, Magnum, Outback or Freestyle (also looked at 500 and Montego).
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    It's NOT. It's just changing. The name isn't going away. The Vehicle platform isn't going away, it is actually being expanded with another plant, presumably Atlanta, and several new Lincoln, Mercury, and Ford vehicles being built on an enlarged version of the D3 platform, and a Mercury branded version of the current Freestyle will be built at Chicago. The Fact is Ford has a lot of crossovers and SUVs in the pipeline, and they're scrambling to figure out how to market them so as not to cannibalise their own sales. There is a new and probably slightly larger Escape due, a new CD3 (Fusion, etc.) based crossover tentatively called the Edge and its Aviator branded sibling from Lincoln due out next summer to be built in Oakville , Ontario. A refreshed Explorer with a new V8 and 6 speed is coming out in September, a refreshed Expedition and a stretched version (to replace the discontinued Excursion) are also due out soon. A new smaller crossover, hinted (I hope very indirectly) by the Ford SYNus show car on last season auto show circuit is due out in the next several years. Possibly a version of the Bronco show car. And there is also some question about what Ford is planning to do about replacing the Freestar and Monterey minivans, which are unquestionably failures, Originally they were supposed to continue at Oakville but be moved to the new CD3 platform with new Duratec 35s and modern 6 speeds, but now they are supposedly being moved to the larger, D3 platform, and styled to look more like large wagons which were hinted at by the Fairlane concept, possibly with a Lincoln variant. (Maybe Volvo too?).
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Gee, anyone think the trolls are restless. Is it a full moon? Member since June, no list of vehicles? Do you walk everywhere scoots?
  • skovatchskovatch Posts: 24
    I briefly looked at the Pacifica, and seriously considered a Highlander. I was going to wait for a Highlander Hybrid, but my local dealer claimed they planned to mark them up well over list, which was supposedly $5-7k over the non-hybrid version. I also have arthritis and wasn't crazy about making the SUV climb every time I got into the car.

I have a two-year lease on my Freestyle, but when it's up I'll probably head for a hybrid Camry, since we plan on going to one car, and I don't see gas coming down in price anytime soon.
  • Although I consider it a wagon, the Ford dealer told me the Freestyle was an SUV. I never wanted to drive an SUV. Perhaps Ford should have named it the Enigma in keeping with the E-series. Ford Enigma.. it's an SUV, we think or Ford Enigma..it's whatever you want it to be.
    LOL

I think we have a winner! :-)

I have noticed that the Ford website also considers it an SUV. I guess they figure they'll sell more of them with the SUV label.

I'm still calling mine a wagon. It just doesn't strike me as being an SUV....it doesn't do any serious off-roading, it doesn't tow serious weight...all things that I considered were unique for SUVs.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Is it a full moon?

Actually, it's a waning crescent. With regard to trolls, my advice is to not feed them! :)

tidester, host
    Actually, it's a waning crescent. With regard to trolls, my advice is to not feed them!

I like to feed them a little because I always get a kick out of watching them scrabble back under the bridge. LOL

I know, I know....I should behave myself...but sometime I think I actually see their spittle on the monitor when I read their posts...kinda fun.

:-)
  • I guess it's easier to call names than face the fact that the Freestyle has already had it's demise announced after a just a few months on the market and that they are cutting back production because have a huge inventory sitting on dealer's lots.

Is it a bad concept or bad vehicle? No.
    It's a very weak, confused and overly cautious product from a company that's had more weak, confused and cautious products than successes recently.

Call names all you want, It's easier than accepting the facts.
  • jschreiberjschreiber Posts: 50
    OK EVERYONE
    THESE PERSONAL THREADS ARE NOT USEFUL--THIS SITE USED TO BE VERY USEFUL
    LET'S PLEASE REFOCUS THIS SITE ON:
    1. ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE VEHICLE
    2. ANY PLUSES OR MINUSES AS WE GROW MILEAGE
    3. COMPARISONS TO OTHER VEHICLES
    4. PRICING AND FEATURES
    5. SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS ETC ETC
    I don't think any of us are going to fix the US car industry on this site, nor do we really know what the heck will happen to this vehicle in 2 years production time
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    "I like to feed them a little because "

I typically feed them until they pop. :P
    I found this July 4th Ford of Canada press release on the media.ford.com web site. :shades:

""Record months for Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle along with the continued stampede of Mustangs helped Ford continue as the best-selling brand in Canada,” said Joe Hinrichs, president and CEO, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited."
  • 428cj428cj Posts: 52
    I like to take the trolls head-on. They are easy to expose and logic drives them crazy. So if you see me spanking them, it is because they need it. By the way, how about those Ford SUVs starting with "E" like the Bronco and Bronco II.
  • cdndriver2cdndriver2 Posts: 36
    Cool ! Maybe folks have seen me zipping around in my white SEL (bought in May) and are catching on. :D

Recently, perfect strangers have approached me in a parking lot and said they were impressed with my vehicle. I liked that.
  • "I like to take the trolls head-on. They are easy to expose and logic drives them crazy. So if you see me spanking them, it is because they need it."

Yes, your name-calling and fact-ignoring really has me going crazy.

You are so busy patting yourself on the back, you failed to notice that there is an undeniable pattern of Ford doing exactly what it's doing with the Freestyle - laying a marketplace (egg) and then running away making believe they didn't do it.

Add the Freestyle name to the long and growing list of good ideas that were poorly marketed and executed vehicles to be killed before they ever had a chance.

Hopefully they will learn from the Mustang (which they tried to kill too) And they will figure out that bland-beyond-belief works well if you want your only customers to be Hertz and the Police department.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I agree! There seems to be a lot of negativity Have we run out of positive discussion topics that relate to the Freestyle experience? If you want to call it an SUV or a wagon go ahead and do what you want. If you think Ford has internal management problems, there isn't anything we can do about it. If you want to express your disappointment with Ford discontinuing this model, write the company. I love my Freestyle and plan to keep it for many years.
  • Seems to be here for a reason. Chevy offers what? Equinox? The third row is the back bumper. I'm no Ford cheerleader, but the Freestyle is the best car I have ever owned. Bar none. I have had more than my share of new ones too.
    Most cars are refreshed after 3-4 years right? Note that the Meta One starts production in 2007. Think it will be more expensive than the Freestyle? Yup.
    Yea...GM's doing real well....
    What do you drive? :shades:
  • forddadforddad Posts: 1
    has anyone experienced roughness or vibration in Gas pedal 2,000 rpm between 20 to 40 mph? Is this normal for this model?
  • oldgwtholdgwth Posts: 25
    No vibration or roughness at all - smooth as silk. Hope it is a minor and that you can get it taken care of. It's a great vehicle, love mine.
  • I have a 2002 F-150 and a 2003 Expedition which have both been great vehicles and despite the really lame name, I'm looking at a Lincoln Mark LT
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I guess it's easier...

This is the Ford Freestyle discussion. If you're interested in a comparison topic then feel free to start one up.

tidester, host
  • willie19willie19 Posts: 139
    Yep.Not so lonely now as we are seeing more Freestyles up here on the west coast. Those 30-second tv clips and employee pricing is moving my dealer's stock.
    The only problem for me is that our Limited AWD happens to be my wife's car and I only get to drive it about 5% of the time. What a bummer. :P
    By the way, how about those Ford SUVs starting with "E" like the Bronco and Bronco II.

There was no such thing as an "SUV" when they were around. :-)
    It amazes me the acceleration of the Freestyle after it gets up around 40-50 mph. I still feel like I'm driving an old V8 with a mechanical 4-barrel carburetor. Downright impressive and I've been holding back because it's new. I have yet to truly put this thing to the test.
    It still boggles my mind how reviewers could have said that the preformance is poor.