Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• eoinkeoink Member Posts: 4
    What is TSB? I'm having the same problem with CD's skipping, but haven't contacted the dealer yet. The kids use the CD player more than me, plus I don't have time to get to the dealer. I bought the vehicle on 4/21/05. Should I have gone to the dealer in the first 30 days of purchase, or is this something that the dealer will still be able to fix under warranty if I go now?
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    From the Fortune article: And when Chrysler came out with bargain-priced models, like the 300C, last year, Ford had to cut the price of the Freestyle by several thousand dollars, eliminating the possibility of any profits.

I disagree with this. The 300C base model sells for $30,000. Is this "bargain priced"?? And Chrysler does not offer any incentives or discounts for this model.
  • gteegtee Member Posts: 179
    The reason that I made that post was try and explain one of the reasons why the sales of Freestyle are not as high as they should be. I agree that it is a very good product. I also liked Freestyle. The problems with Freestyle are not related to the car it self, but to the company Ford. Like I said I was "afraid" to purchase Freestyle because of expectation of problems down the road. I mean look it has a CVT transmission. We all know that in one year 500 and Freestyle will get a 3.5l engine. It will come with a 6 speed transmission. What will happen with this CVT transmission? Will it even be manufactured any more? Why did they spend so much money developing a new type of transmission if it is only used for two years on a very small number of cars?

The other thing is that all American car companies have trained consumers to expect a rebate when they buy a car. So when a car does not have a rebate, people wait until there are rebates before making a purchase. Again this has nothing to do with Freestyle, but with Ford. I bet if Freestyle was introduced by Honda, it would be a run away hit.

The point is that sales of Freestyle will increase with time as people gain confidence in the product. Look the 2005 Expedition does not have nearly the number of problems that a 2003 Expedition had.

As for my wife, well I had to get some furniture for the house to compensate for the Odyssey ;) . Now we are both happy.
  • bigred13bigred13 Member Posts: 25
    You chose an Odyssey over a Freestyle? The Freestyle wins hands down just on looks alone over the Odyssey. (just my opinion) You should have listened to your wife! I did, and she was right (again)! I wanted a new H3. She wanted me to consider something more practical and since I couldn't bring myself to drive a 'minivan', the Freestyle was a great alternative. Besides, if you wanted a dependable minivan you should of considered a Grand Caravan. They have more features, ride nicer and are cheaper than the Odyssey. And I thought 'Freestyle' was a lame name.

Disclaimer: I, in no way intended to sound mean by this reply but, the Freestyle has had no major issues since it's release more than 9 months ago. The positives far outweigh the negatives so far. I know that the verdict is still out, but give it a chance before you condemn it soley for being a 1st run vehicle. We just confidently invested $25,000 in a sure bet!

Another sure bet? Bet the farm on the Patriots to win 3 in a row!!!
  • frexfrex Member Posts: 3
    I came to the same conclusion as van8 regarding the Freestyles price... I believe that it is well under priced for the tech/features it contains... I have seen in the past were a manufacturer brings a new model to market to "test" the waters and later re-badges same for much more $$$... This has to be the case with Freebie... With all due respect to gtee the reason I went with the Freebie was the opposite of yours regarding the Expedition... Our 99' just turned 182K - never been back to Ford, our only expenses have been 2 batteries (FL heat), 3 sets of tires (one thanks to the Firestone debacle), 1 alternator and front (only) brakes... Sorry yours was problematic but we traded a 2003 Rendezvous for the freebie instead of the 99 Expo... Good luck with your Honda... RB
  • 428cj428cj Member Posts: 52
    Nitromax, you are too easy. A Hummer is wider than it is tall.
  • scootertrash2scootertrash2 Member Posts: 71
    What can't Ford see about how stunningly bland is products look?
    Yes the Freestyle is a great concept and has a very nice looking and roomy interior but did anyone actually take a look at it before it was produced?
    The same as the new F-150, Nice inside, well engineered and horribly bland outside.
    They must run all new designs through the Anonymizer machine before they are released. What's with the 86 Taurus headlights on the Freestyle front end?

Ford, the Germans who run Chrysler seem to understand what Americans like, why can't you?
    Well the looks or image of Odyssey vs Freestyle did not bother me because I am not the one driving the car. Like I said it is for my wife. If I had to drive the car, I would never buy the Odyssey. And I might add that my wife liked the looks of Freestyle much better than Odyssey.

As far as Grand Caravan vs. Odyssey: First Caravan is not much cheaper then Odyssey when you get them loaded with options like stability control, automatic climate, 3.8 motor, power doors, leather. Chryslers also have huge depreciation. I calculated and it would cost me more to drive a Grand Caravan for 5 years, then it would cost to drive an Odyssey. One has to take the residual into calculations. I also like how the Odyssey drives much better then the Grand Caravan.

While driving around town I look at the cars. You know I see very few Freestyles. On the other hand, I see 2005 Odysseys (new style) all over the place. There must be some reason why so many people are choosing an inferior product like Odysses over Freestyle. I was just listing some of these reasons. My point is that there are other factors that people consider when purchasing a car besides the car it self. I think that the main problem with Freestyle is FORD motor company.

Once you train people that there are always rebates on a car, then people do not want to buy with out them. And I was right, if I purchased a car in May, I would have lost $2000 or more. That is the price difference between the same Freestyle now and in May 2005. I don't know about other people, but I hate to see the same product $2000 cheaper in 3 months.

I am very happy that Freestyle turned out to be trouble free in its first year. That is not very common with Ford. Look at the history of Focus. Look at the history of new Expedition. First model year cars are more troublesome then following year cars. Engineers need time to sort out problems. This is not only a Ford issue. Look at the Nissan mess with their Titans and Quests. Look at the history of Mercedes ML320 and the new factory in Alabama. The point is that Chicago plant was recently redone and Freestyle is a completely new car. I think that its natural that some people are waiting to see how the reliability issue plays out before buying a Freestyle.

The other thing that I don't understand is why every body is saying that Freestyle is expensive to build. Does anybody actually have some figures on how much it cost to produce one Freestyle? Is it more expensive to build a Freestyle then an Explorer? The Explorer has body on frame construction with rear wheel drive. It has independent rear suspension. I mean which part of Freestyle is expensive to build. Is it the 3.0 Duratec engine, is it the CVT transmission? The interior of Freestyle looks about the same as in other Fords, and well below standards of Volvo. So this leaves the car body. Maybe the car body does cost more to build, but compared to the total cost of the car..... I would bet that its not even $1000 extra over another car like Taurus station wagon.

Sorry I have to go. My wife is calling.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I know what we can call it.

Either:

mini-SUV

or

maxi-WAGON

:)
    But since Ford included every feature except styling, here's what it can be called..."discontinued" ...after next year.
    It's just sad what a mess Ford is.
  • van8van8 Member Posts: 10
    One thing is for sure Ford is not going to give us all their cost figures on the Freestyle. There is however a tremendous amount of fascinating reading on the development of the Freestyle. The Fortune article dated July 22,2005 titled Restructuring, Ford takes desperate Measures is helpful in understanding some costs. The article points out that the Freestyle uses the Volvo engineering platform that is more costly than the platforms used in the USA. The Article dated 12/3/04 in Auto Week titled Ford fights high CVT costs. This article discusses the 60% increase in costs for the CVT because of the rise in the Euro vs Dollar. This article also discusses the planned cut in units by Ford after Jac Nasser left the co. from one million to 250,000 units. This cut increases unit costs.

I believe that Ford is having trouble sticking to long term plans and is going to kill a goose that could lay a well planned golden egg. The Freestyle needs to be sold and driven. Ford is selling cars that sell themselves like the mustang.

The new engineering in this car/ wagon are not Ford but Volvo( now owned by Ford) and ZF. These companies are both exceptional. The reading on this new CVT transmission is fascinating. Just Google ZF and CVT and you will find good reading material. On the other hand.... just ask your wife ...I am sure she has all this reading material.
    Best
  • globecanvasglobecanvas Member Posts: 45
    The point about the sinking dollar causing CVT costs to increase makes sense, but Ford should be in the business of managing risks like that! It's sloppy to suddenly realize CVTs cost too much, instead Ford should have projected their production needs and bought euros in advance. They teach you that sort of thing in business school.

It's also no secret that GM and Ford are in crisis mode, and long-term strategic thinking is the first thing out the window when you're in crisis mode.

In all honesty, I expect that in 5 years the Freestyle will be thought of as an idea that was ahead of its time and abandoned too soon. A similar model that comes to mind is the Toyota Previa minivan. People thought these egg-shaped minivans looked ridiculous when they first came out, and Toyota stopped selling them in 97. But has anyone else noticed how many of these are still around, and how the "mainstream" minivans have been converging on the same shape?
  • sparcatsparcat Member Posts: 6
    If Ford thinks our decisions were to either buy a Freestyle or an Explorer. Let's go public with our decisions.

I for one, never considered an Explorer. My decision came down to the Pacifica and the Volvo, the Freestyle was by far the better value. :)
    Exactly what I was talking about. The cost issue of CVT is related to limited use of this technology. Look Ford developed this transmission with ZF, then ZF backed out of the deal. So Ford took over the CVT transmission development. Now Ford will use this transmission for two years in a very limited application (500 and Freestyle) and then cancel it because the new 3.5 engine produces too much torque for this transmission to handle. So where does it leave the currect customers who purchased this CVT transmission? What do you think will happen to current customers who purchase Freestyle and have problems with this transmission 7 years from now? There will be no spare parts and nobody will know how to work on a CVT transmission. Does any body really think that one will be able to take a CVT transmission to AMCO to get it fixed?

Just a thought.
  • heddenhedden Member Posts: 28
    The choice for me was between the Outback and Freestyle. Freestyle won.
    How about another one.
    Fords SUV line always starts with E (the E series)

Escape
    Explorer
    Expedition
    Excursion
    Everest

And the Ford Station Wagons don't start with F like Freestyle either. So much for half arguments.

DeLuxe Woody Wagon
    Ranch Wagon
    LTD Wagon
    Country Squire Wagon.
    Pinto Wagon
    Taurus Wagon

Also, note they were ALL just like their sedan counterparts from the doors forward and the matching interior and dash.

The original point, which seems to be forgotten, it the Freestyle is a unique vehicle that cannot be classified in a traditional manner.

Thank about that, nitromax, while you are waiting for your Station Wagon Afficianado magazine to arrive.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    that the F rule for cars/wagons and E for SUV's and M's for Mercuries is a recent affectation.

It did NOT apply back in the days of LTD's and Country Squires.
    "But since Ford included every feature except styling"

Looks pretty stylish to me. Certainly more stylish than its Volvo roots.

I guess those Camry's and Accord's must be really stylin'. :P
    "If Ford thinks our decisions were to either buy a Freestyle or an Explorer. Let's go public with our decisions. "

I wouldn't want an Explorer. Yuck.
    Yes, the Camry and Accord have at least some style and pleasing proportions.

The Freestyle is what you would have left if you took a vehicle and removed all style, it's sort of a black hole of non-style.
    Ford is trying so hard to play it safe, they are left with only blandness.
    "Yes, the Camry and Accord have at least some style and pleasing proportions. "

According to YOU.

I find the Freestyle just as appealing.

Then again, I also liked the 1996 Taurus (ovals).

Style isn't worth much, really. The Lexus RX330, for example, sacrifices a lot of space for style over the Toyota Highlander.
  • northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    FYI. Excerpts from the 2006 Freestyle Product Guide. (Better written this year IMHO). :shades:

"OVERVIEW
    Flexibility is the inspiration behind the all-new Ford Freestyle. Bridging the gap between SUV and sedan, this innovative crossover is ideal for active families and their evolving lifestyles, combining real-world utility with impressive fuel economy and comfort.

Freestyle sets an impressive benchmark for comfort, versatility and safety. It can carry up to seven adults in comfort. Its versatile fold-flat third-row seating provides flexible cargo-carrying capacity. Furthermore, it has the security of optional all-wheel drive and the available segment-exclusive Safety Canopy side-curtain air-bag system. The federal government has recognized Ford Freestyle as the top performer in its category in NHTSA's 2005 NCAP rollover stability test.

Its many accolades during its first year on sale include being among Parents magazine's and AAA's Best Cars for Families as well as the New England Motor Press Association Official Winter Vehicle.

This year, Freestyle comes with a new navigation system option and Silver Birch, a new exterior color choice."

DESIGN and EQUIPMENT
    "Freestyle is designed to stand apart with its long hood, high belt line, large wheels and tires, aggressive grille-guard-style lower fascia, flared wheel arches, large side mirrors and hefty strap-style door handles."

Freestyle's instrument panel gives the driver and passenger the look, feel and attitude of an SUV, complete with a robust grab handle mounted on the passenger side. The contrasting center stack contains all climate and audio controls and is topped with two round air registers. The flow-through center console houses the floor shifter, two ample cup holders and roomy center storage console.

Freestyle has best-in-class legroom in the second and third rows. The second row is a comfortable place to be for long trips, with standard reclining bucket seats or a 60/40 split-fold bench for seven-passenger capability. When bucket seats are selected, second-row seats on Limited models are mounted on optional adjustable tracks to increase legroom.

The standard third row is uncharacteristically comfortable thanks to an innovative package design that includes a raised roofline and a well-packaged independent rear suspension below the floor.

Clever storage solutions abound. A recessed lid atop the instrument panel hides a convenient storage bin. A standard overhead console in the front row provides room for sunglasses and garage door openers and includes a convex conversation mirror, a popular feature borrowed from Ford's minivan family that lets the driver direct an eye toward rear-seat passengers."

POWERTRAIN and CHASSIS
    "Freestyle's power comes from Ford™'s proven Duratec 30 3.0-liter V-6 engine, matched to an all-new continuously variable transmission (CVT). The combination of stiff chassis, high-torque V-6 and wide-ratio transmission adds up to surprising performance and drivability for a vehicle that can haul passengers or cargo in any weather.

Freestyle's CVT offers advantages not found in traditional automatic transmissions." "Electronic powertrain controls, including a sensor on the electronic throttle, constantly monitor the demand for power. When more torque is needed for acceleration or to maintain speed up a steep hill, the transmission seamlessly responds by creating the right drive ratio from an infinite number of possibilities, allowing the Duratec 30 engine to operate at optimum performance. The Duratec 30 doesn't require a tuneup in its first 100,000 miles. The CVT doesn't require maintenance for its first 60,000 miles.

Freestyle's platform is inspired from a Volvo design, with independent suspension to assure quick, responsive handling and a quiet ride. It has an optional all-wheel-drive system." "Electronic controls that gather information from the anti-lock braking system and other sensors allow the all-wheel-drive system to react within 50 milliseconds, much faster and more seamlessly than systems that rely on viscous couplings. Traction control, which is standard on vehicles equipped with all-wheel drive, provides torque transfer from side to side. When all-wheel drive isn't needed, Freestyle functions as a front-wheel-drive vehicle."

URL: http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/guide.2006/freestyle.html
    The base MS Retail Pricing for a 2005 AWD SEL Freebie was $28045 in the August 10, 2004 Ford Pricing guide. On July 27, 2005, the MSRP for the same base 2005 configuration is $28945 (Ford web site). Price creep is becoming more common throughout a vehicle's model year. :shades:
    >"The same as the new F-150, Nice inside, well engineered and horribly bland outside. ""What's with the 86 Taurus headlights on the Freestyle front end? "<

And what is with the 1940 Ford headlights on the Mercedes? And what is with the '78 F-150 grille on the 300C? It looked much better on the '78 F-150.

>"Ford, the Germans who run Chrysler seem to understand what Americans like, why can't you?" <

The Freestyle is outselling the Magnum wagon. The Mustang is a huge sales success. The entire 2005 /2006 production run for the rest of the year is spoken for. The Explorer, even with the gas prices, is still the best selling SUV in the world. The Ranger pickup, even with its old style is still the best selling compact truck. The Focus is the best seller in its class. Police are still selecting the Crown Vic for their cruisers in 84% of the cases. The F-250/350 lead their segments. You can't buy a Ford GT because they are all presold. Fusion is getting fantastic early reviews. I have seen them on I-94 being tested and they look great. The E-series is the best selling full-size van. A new Expedition is on the way.

Ford profitability is up. Rental car sales are down as Ford wanted. I say it looks very good at Ford.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Nitromax, you are too easy. A Hummer is wider than it is tall.

LOL
    You got me there! Is that it? A Hummer? So, is it safe to say that a military vehicle turned civilian SUV is the only SUV with a width larger than it's height?
    Thank about that, nitromax, while you are waiting for your Station Wagon Afficianado magazine to arrive.

The first issue of Wagon World arrives in two weeks. LOL
    Now Ford will use this transmission for two years in a very limited application (500 and Freestyle) and then cancel it because the new 3.5 engine produces too much torque for this transmission to handle. So where does it leave the currect customers who purchased this CVT transmission? What do you think will happen to current customers who purchase Freestyle and have problems with this transmission 7 years from now? There will be no spare parts and nobody will know how to work on a CVT transmission. Does any body really think that one will be able to take a CVT transmission to AMCO to get it fixed?

Could be that the new CVT (for the 3.5) will be a direct replacement for this current one. I don't see why it wouldn't be since it would still have to fit into the same design envelope. The mating to the engine may be slightly different but that can be overcome by a optional transmission bell housing.
    Sure the new CVT will be overkill for the 3.0 engine, but it would work and it might also allow the tow ratings to go up higher than the current 2000 lbs.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Given that the Freestyle has a Volvo chassis, a CVT and a Haldex AWD system plus all the other stuff that is listed in the write-up I think it is a bargain, especially at the current Family Plan pricing. If Ford has a problem with this vehicle it is that it is NOT charging enough for it to make a profit. If there are no problems with it over time I believe it will retain it's resale value because of the demand/value equation will be in it's favor even if Ford discontinues production. If you look at similar vehicles (Volvo, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota) they are currently priced much higher. For 27K I don't believe I could have gotten a better vehicle than my AWD Limited. Hopefully it will be trouble-free.
  • globecanvasglobecanvas Member Posts: 45
    Good thread!

Our choice was between Toyota Sienna and Freestyle, and it was a real toss-up. We chose the Freestyle on flexibility and for the CVT (I suffer from chronic Early Adopter Disease).
    Well said. The value of the Freestyle is more than skin deep.

Sales volume is the other variable in profitability. I am sure that Ford is making a profit on the Freestyle, even with family discounts, but it gets healthier (sustainable?) if the sales volumes reach their target. I do think they learned a lesson from the Pacifica not to overprice the vehicle (first year Pacifica sales were anemic until they dropped pricing). If the Freebie were $5K higher in price, I would not have bought it.

Regarding styling, Ford did use an "everything blends together cleanly" philosophy. Not as bold as some would want, but not looking like a Hot Wheels&#153; truck like some of them, with a patchwork quilt of tacked-on plastic, bug eyes, and cabin cruiser styling. I feel the design is attractive, but grows on you more with time. Dealers are looking for that instant design "pop", that grabs your attention immediately. Do men view the design differently than women? As we talk of maintaining value, how a design looks in five or ten years matters as much as initial impression. Will the bolder designs look dated then? Will the Freebie look classic? Stay tuned. :shades:
    Yes.
    The Mustang is the only hit Ford has.
    The Crown Vic was the only V8 RWD choice, the Dodges will put an end to that- How many retail sales does the CV have?
    The GT serves only as corporate jewelry to show off. How's the rest of the SVT line?
    Freestyle- Flop, and already cancelled.
    500, Flop.
    E-Vans, Nicely updated 1975 models.
    Ranger, They are nice, for 1982's
    F-150, ugly but still selling less than expected, just wait for the new Chevy

And then there's the typical Ford ADHD plan where they introduce a fine idea poorly executed, never update it and then run away: Cougar, Blackwood, T-Bird, Marauder and soon, Freestyle and Mark LT.

If you think Ford is a healthy company, you are way off. They are in big trouble.
    I for one, never considered an Explorer. My decision came down to the Pacifica and the Volvo, the Freestyle was by far the better value.

I never considered the Explorer either. I don't understand why Ford could actually think that Freestyles are stealing sales away from the Explorer...they're two different animals completely.

Maybe the problem is that the Explorer makes profits of ~ $10000 per vehicle (it is basically a pick-up with a cap and the design has alreday paid for itself) and the Freestyle is new and design costs are still being paid.
    One stolen Freestyle sale from Explorer makes a big hit on profits.
    "The Mustang is the only hit Ford has."

As I said, all those others I mention are leading the segment in sales. If they are the best, the others sell less in the category.

"The Crown Vic was the only V8 RWD choice, the Dodges will put an end to that- How many retail sales does the CV have?"

The Dodge has made no impact yet. The Crown Vic has healthy end user sales, although it is the over-60 crowd, Crown Vic and Grand Marquis have the highest customer loyalty rate of and modem made on the planet. Not only that, users scream to keep the basic size, drivetrain, etc as it is.

"The GT serves only as corporate jewelry to show off. How's the rest of the SVT line? "

According to Blue Oval news, the rest of the SVT line is going very well and it is being expanded with the new Shelby-types.

"Freestyle- Flop, and already cancelled.
    500, Flop. "

The Chicago cars are selling neat their first-year targets at the current run-rate. Cars need to be updated much more frequently. Not every success can be a Crown Vic. Flexible Manufacturing Ford has in place allow for this.

"E-Vans, Nicely updated 1975 models.
    Ranger, They are nice, for 1982's
    "

Ford still leads in both segments no matter what your opinion.

"F-150, ugly but still selling less than expected, just wait for the new Chevy"

Chevy still cannot unseat the F-150. Chevy has tried and failed each time. The Ford truck division stays one step ahead. Ford is on targeted sell over 900K this year -- making it two years in a row 0f 900+ sales which is an automotive industry first.

"And then there's the typical Ford ADHD plan where they introduce a fine idea poorly executed, never update it and then run away: Cougar, Blackwood, T-Bird, Marauder and soon, Freestyle and Mark LT. "

Cougar had its place. My daughter still has her '99 and it still looks and runs good. Ford learned from Blackwood that you need 4X4. Mark L/T sales are good and the vehicle cost is low. The monthly numbers are holding up well. T-Bird needs another look and will get it. Once you go retro, the next model needs to be different. There is no double retro. Marauder was nice but too limited in its target market. However, when all car buyers on mother earth were polled 80 days after a the sale regarding satisfaction, Marauder was number 1, Excursion was number 2 and some Lexus model (the Mercury of Toyota) came in third.

"If you think Ford is a healthy company, you are way off. They are in big trouble"

I think Ford will do quite well in the future. They made the right changes. Remember, it is always darkest before it is pitch black.
    The Freestyle may have been designed to counter all of the Explorer historical challenges (rollover, crashworthiness, gas mileage, hauling space, etc.) by a department trying to outdo the SUV group. But if Ford tried to seriously sell these Freestyle improvements versus the Explorer, they would be damaging Explorer profits by their own hand. Could this be the marketing dilemma? Their best sales story is against one of their own vehicles? I do agree that they are different beasts.

This note is from a July 1, 2005 Ford press release:
    "Among trucks, the company continued to see higher sales among crossover utility vehicles. Combined sales for the Ford Freestyle, Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, and Volvo's XC70 and XC90 were 28,342, up 31 percent compared with a year ago. Combined sales for traditional sport utility vehicles SUVs were off 3 percent in June."

:shades:
    "the rest of the SVT line is going very well "

How do you like that 2005 Focus SVT? How about that new Lightning? Oh yeah, there are NO SVT vehicles anymore.

Frankly, anyone who would buy a New 1982 Ranger, has simply not gone shopping.

Yes, the Mark LT (Nice name- hah!) is burning up the sales charts at about 600 units per month.
    The Marauder is a perfect example of what's wrong with Ford. They had a great idea, and some dope decided, since it killed the Blackwood, they should only make it in black. Then, once they scared off anyone who doesn't live in snow country, they came out with other colors. By the time the market discovered it and there started to be some buzz, it had already been killed off (Like the Freestyle). It was a great car and well pulled off, so why was it killed?

The Mustang is the only hit they have come up with in years.
    I hope it's a sign of things to come rather than a fluke.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Have an Explorer already, wanted the other "car" to get better mileage. Choice was Pacifica, Magnum, Outback or Freestyle (also looked at 500 and Montego).
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    It's NOT. It's just changing. The name isn't going away. The Vehicle platform isn't going away, it is actually being expanded with another plant, presumably Atlanta, and several new Lincoln, Mercury, and Ford vehicles being built on an enlarged version of the D3 platform, and a Mercury branded version of the current Freestyle will be built at Chicago. The Fact is Ford has a lot of crossovers and SUVs in the pipeline, and they're scrambling to figure out how to market them so as not to cannibalise their own sales. There is a new and probably slightly larger Escape due, a new CD3 (Fusion, etc.) based crossover tentatively called the Edge and its Aviator branded sibling from Lincoln due out next summer to be built in Oakville , Ontario. A refreshed Explorer with a new V8 and 6 speed is coming out in September, a refreshed Expedition and a stretched version (to replace the discontinued Excursion) are also due out soon. A new smaller crossover, hinted (I hope very indirectly) by the Ford SYNus show car on last season auto show circuit is due out in the next several years. Possibly a version of the Bronco show car. And there is also some question about what Ford is planning to do about replacing the Freestar and Monterey minivans, which are unquestionably failures, Originally they were supposed to continue at Oakville but be moved to the new CD3 platform with new Duratec 35s and modern 6 speeds, but now they are supposedly being moved to the larger, D3 platform, and styled to look more like large wagons which were hinted at by the Fairlane concept, possibly with a Lincoln variant. (Maybe Volvo too?).
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Gee, anyone think the trolls are restless. Is it a full moon? Member since June, no list of vehicles? Do you walk everywhere scoots?
  • skovatchskovatch Member Posts: 24
    I briefly looked at the Pacifica, and seriously considered a Highlander. I was going to wait for a Highlander Hybrid, but my local dealer claimed they planned to mark them up well over list, which was supposedly $5-7k over the non-hybrid version. I also have arthritis and wasn't crazy about making the SUV climb every time I got into the car.

I have a two-year lease on my Freestyle, but when it's up I'll probably head for a hybrid Camry, since we plan on going to one car, and I don't see gas coming down in price anytime soon.
  • flufflebugflufflebug Member Posts: 7
    Although I consider it a wagon, the Ford dealer told me the Freestyle was an SUV. I never wanted to drive an SUV. Perhaps Ford should have named it the Enigma in keeping with the E-series. Ford Enigma.. it's an SUV, we think or Ford Enigma..it's whatever you want it to be.
    LOL

I think we have a winner! :-)

I have noticed that the Ford website also considers it an SUV. I guess they figure they'll sell more of them with the SUV label.

I'm still calling mine a wagon. It just doesn't strike me as being an SUV....it doesn't do any serious off-roading, it doesn't tow serious weight...all things that I considered were unique for SUVs.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is it a full moon?

Actually, it's a waning crescent. With regard to trolls, my advice is to not feed them! :)

tidester, host
    Actually, it's a waning crescent. With regard to trolls, my advice is to not feed them!

I like to feed them a little because I always get a kick out of watching them scrabble back under the bridge. LOL

I know, I know....I should behave myself...but sometime I think I actually see their spittle on the monitor when I read their posts...kinda fun.

:-)
    I guess it's easier to call names than face the fact that the Freestyle has already had it's demise announced after a just a few months on the market and that they are cutting back production because have a huge inventory sitting on dealer's lots.

Is it a bad concept or bad vehicle? No.
    It's a very weak, confused and overly cautious product from a company that's had more weak, confused and cautious products than successes recently.

Call names all you want, It's easier than accepting the facts.
  • jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    OK EVERYONE
    THESE PERSONAL THREADS ARE NOT USEFUL--THIS SITE USED TO BE VERY USEFUL
    LET'S PLEASE REFOCUS THIS SITE ON:
    1. ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE VEHICLE
    2. ANY PLUSES OR MINUSES AS WE GROW MILEAGE
    3. COMPARISONS TO OTHER VEHICLES
    4. PRICING AND FEATURES
    5. SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS ETC ETC
    I don't think any of us are going to fix the US car industry on this site, nor do we really know what the heck will happen to this vehicle in 2 years production time
    "I like to feed them a little because "

I typically feed them until they pop. :P
    I found this July 4th Ford of Canada press release on the media.ford.com web site. :shades:

""Record months for Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle along with the continued stampede of Mustangs helped Ford continue as the best-selling brand in Canada,&#148; said Joe Hinrichs, president and CEO, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited."
    I like to take the trolls head-on. They are easy to expose and logic drives them crazy. So if you see me spanking them, it is because they need it. By the way, how about those Ford SUVs starting with "E" like the Bronco and Bronco II.
  • cdndriver2cdndriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Cool ! Maybe folks have seen me zipping around in my white SEL (bought in May) and are catching on. :D

Recently, perfect strangers have approached me in a parking lot and said they were impressed with my vehicle. I liked that.
    "I like to take the trolls head-on. They are easy to expose and logic drives them crazy. So if you see me spanking them, it is because they need it."

Yes, your name-calling and fact-ignoring really has me going crazy.

You are so busy patting yourself on the back, you failed to notice that there is an undeniable pattern of Ford doing exactly what it's doing with the Freestyle - laying a marketplace (egg) and then running away making believe they didn't do it.

Add the Freestyle name to the long and growing list of good ideas that were poorly marketed and executed vehicles to be killed before they ever had a chance.

Hopefully they will learn from the Mustang (which they tried to kill too) And they will figure out that bland-beyond-belief works well if you want your only customers to be Hertz and the Police department.