Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• figueroafamilyfigueroafamily Member Posts: 223
    It sometimes does that. Give it another try. I just did, and it's OK.

It's not perfect, but freebies are like that.

Sam
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    looks sharp. Better than the beige one in Detroit.
  • iglooheatiglooheat Member Posts: 32
    I have to say that I am a bit disappointed, but not surprised, that the price range now extends to $34,000. The rep. at the Phila. car show said that it would top out at $29. I wanted to believe her, but I know that all that equipment on the Limited would demand more. We'll still probably get one as it seems to fit our needs perfectly, but we'll delay until there are some deals. Shouldn't be too long as rebates started on the f-150 right out of the gate.
    Hmm... If the Truck Of The Year had rebates early, a month or so of extra wait should be beneficial. Maybe we'll get word of them when you get the brochures. That's in 3 weeks +/-. Likely not.

Yes, I noticed the rise in price as they get closer to the release date. It did hurt, as my "low price" expectations were high. It's the old "demand & supply" rule. They demand a good supply of your dollars!

If you're into Freestyle 35 (larger engine), a year (two?) wait shouldn't be a problem. Maybe they would have bigger rebates then =).

How can I tell my Contour not to die on me for a few more months? =(

Sam
  • mgpmgpmgpmgp Member Posts: 15
    What is with the privacy glass I have seen on all the Freestyles. It only seems to be on the rear quarter of the vehicle. There is no privacy glass on the 2 row passenger windows. This seems silly especially when the Escape and Pacifica each have privacy glass there. If it is not available for the second row I may not buy one. Also does anyone know if a moon roof is available. I wish they would offer a large one like the Subaru Forester or the Cadillac SRX.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    I think Detroit is starting to pad the price when the car is released to cover the rebates. It's like every car is basing 3-4K more then first announced. It realy is a nice wagon, nice to have them back. This is something GM is lacking.
    (We all can't afford SRX's).
    I noted that peculiar approach to the privacy glass. It's better to give the benefit of the doubt, as the Freestyles in the shows are prototypes.

On sunroofs, the first picture of the webshots.com set I posted (message 473, if you get an error, re-try) shows the NYC Auto Show Freestyle with one. I don't know if the sunroof sacrifices the conversation (AKA watch kids) mirror.

The FordVehicles.com Freestyle website has one to their Auto Show.
    (FordVehicles.com->cars & vans->future vehicles->Freestyle)
    Their videos have one on the Freestyle. The cutaway Freestyle in it also has a sunroof.

Sam
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    There's a legality pertaining to the privacy glass. According to federal regulations, only trucks, minivans and SUV's are allowed to have the backseat protected by privacy glass. Passenger cars are exempt. I'm not sure WHAT those limits, or what exactly is involved, or what THEY classify the above, (I have a hunch it's pertaining to the vehicles floor clearance) but I do know that much from my research.

Ironically, Ford is trying to get the vehicle classified as a truck.. This will help Ford with CAFE credits. But there's that RULE I'm trying to find out what it is, that prevents it from having the 2nd row privacy glass.

If it's that much of an issue, have it tinted aftermarket along with the 1st row seats.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Er...in many states you cannot tint the side windows very darkly at all unless the vehicle is a truck. In a few states, you cannot add to the factory tinting, period.
    Which reminds me, what are those states issue with having dark tinted windows? Granted, here in FL you can tint up to 33% dark tint (although numerous people will have much stronger tints) but hardly any cop will enforce it. I only know of one cop that actually stayed there while the guy peeled off the tint- luckily I have him as a friend (the cop).
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    "...what are those states issue with having dark tinted windows?"

Officer Safety. If a police officer can't see in your vehicle while approaching it during a stop creates aprehension for the officer. Basically he's walking up blind as most people don't know what to do or act when stopped by the police: engine off, radio off, phone off, window down, hands on wheel, don't act like an idiot.
    And they think that'll help them any? Heh...
  • n144gn144g Member Posts: 7
    I was impressed when i saw the freestyle recently. Two options I was wondering about. Will ford be offering the Xenon HID headlights as an option? And will they offer a Navigation system?
    Thanks in advance if anyone has the info.
    Check out this ordering guide for all options:

http://www.fordaxz.com/2005orderingguides.htm
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Looks like no Xenon, no nav, and no stability control. Disappointing. "4-way" power front passenger seat is also disappointing.
    Isn't there talk of a 3.5L Duratec comming out for the Fall? You'd think a larger engine option on the limited edition would be available.

What's the need for HID headlights? They should be banned soon anyway. NAV toys I can live without.
    That engine will first come out on the Lincoln Aviator, then it'll phase down into other Ford vehicles, so your looking about another year and a half, to 2 years, since the Aviator will be a 2006 model vehicle.
    I can see HID, Nav., etc. as features that may end-up in a Mercury version. I am pleased with what I saw for my needs, even without ponying-up for the Limited.

Also, the 3.0 is rated at 203hp/207 lb/ft. Those who tow may need more, but I think that is more than enough for my small family. I'm esp. looking forward to MPG #'s.
    After the Saturn Vue problems, I'd let the first year go by before looking at buying one. I'm suprised they didn't make it an option the first year. There's no other Ford product using CVT yet, correct? I don't think Volvo offers it anywhere also.
    That is correct, there's no other CVT being used in the Ford/Volvo line up.

Don't be suprised if the same CVT in the Murano, ends up in the 500. From some preliminary reports I have read, you could see it being paired with the upcoming 3.5L.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    The Focus C-MAX, on sale in now Europe, is available with a CVT in combination with with 1.6 l TDCI diesel engine. It'a lighter version of the model for the Freestyle and is made in the smae Batavia Ohio plant.
    That's right, totally forgot about that one.
    A smaller car with only a 1.6 Diesel can't be compared to a Freestyle with a 3.0L when it comes to drivetrain load. I guess the old tale of not buying the first year of production will still hold true for me.
    Based on the options guide link from #488 post it is true that the Freestyle is only available with privacy glass in the rear quarter. It is interesting that they offer a DVD entertainment center but who would want that without privacy glass. As I said before the Pacifica has 2nd row privacy glass so I don't understand why the Freestyle wouldn't especially when Ford appears to classify it as a truck and everyone says that it is closest to the Pacifica.
    Yes that is correct, I'm trying to find out the reason as to why as well.
    I read ANT's note on the Murano CVT on the 500, so I went to the neighboring Murano thread. They claim very little problems on the first year. The 500 comes 6-Auto or CVT from the start.

Thus, PROVIDED the CVTs are from the same mfg. (???), it should be OK.

One interesting tidbit is that they mention the CVT as great in snow. I didn't thought of that benefit. That's important to me, as I rather let my wife drive the best-on-snow car. (Hmm... AWD, CVT & Traction Control vs. snow. Poor snow. =)

Sam
    I would like to ask your opinion on my Contour situation.

I've spent about the actual worth of the car, $1K+, on 3-4 repairs over the last 2-3 months. It's a '96 L-4 with 102K miles. My mechanic says get rid of it, as he has several clients with 100K Contours. One lady with V-6 replaces brakes every 3-4 months. Ouch.
    * It still idles erratic (my mechanic's improved it greatly though).
    * The ABS/Traction lights turn on ocassionaly. Seems to be a bad sensor, as everything works OK.
    * On my trip to NYC to see the Freestyle (and get you the pictures), it almost over-heated inside the Lincoln Tunnel.
    * I just replaced the left front ball bearing and brakes.

My concern on a "newly introduced" vehicle is just having to share Ford's learning experience at the repair bay. The earlier discussions on CVT heightened it.

I'm literally inches away on getting a Mercury Monterey (Freestar twin). It has a good feature set, including AdvanceTrac. I noted on my last post that snow handling is important. The other need is to be a good family vehicle. Thus, my interest on the Freestyle.

Words of Wisdom are welcome. I have a Windstar 2001, so the Monterey would make it two minivans. We still have no children, but we're working on it.

Sam
    Nobody else wants em. True, I love the new models comming out but that CVT worrys me. The Duratec 3.0L is a rock solid engine that's been out a few years now so I'd have no worry with that. I doubt you'll see any incetives on the Freestyle until after the new year at the earliest.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    The peak torque of the 1.6 l Diesel on the C_MAX is only about 10% less than the 3.0 l Duratec V6, and the weight of the C-MAX is about 20% lower than the Freestyles. I mayself don't know that I'd be scared off by the CVT on the Freestyle, but I'd rather have the C-MAX, I do almost exclusively urban driving and it seems like it would be much easier to park.
    I went to the Auto Show Season wrap-up link in Edmunds.com's home. They go through all the vehicles, including Freestyle. They have a very interesting video clip too.

They show 3rd row seat acting just like the Freestar/Monterey. It's a TAILGATE seat too. A pleasant surprise nonetheless.

Thanks NEDC on the C-MAX/Freestyle transmission comparison.

For those who debate Freestyle 30 vs. 35, may I suggest a lease on 30? You then return it on time for the 35. ;)

Sam
    Might not be a bad idea, but for the fact that I put 50k on a car a year, as a rule.

Also, you pay for the use of a car under a lease. Unless the vehicle is used for business OR the manufacturer heavily subsidizes leases (not likely for a new model), you will pay as much or more to lease than you would to buy and then sell the car outright to a private party.
    Has anyone been able to spot the ponypower & torque for the upcoming Duratec 35 (also known as 3.5L)?

Sam
    No, that hasn't been released yet, nor will for quite awhile. Those number's will be released next year at the earliest....
    They might want to reconsider that, especially if competitors' more strongly powered vehicles outsell the 3.0 203 hp beast coming out this fall..
    Reconsider posting the information, in hopes to .....? (fill this part in for me)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    If the 3.0 FWD can run 0-60 in the 9's, and push toward 30 Mpg highway with the CVT, then they should have a good compromise. High gas prices will work to FOrd's favor if you can get the room of a Tahoe with better economy than a CRV.

Anyway, our current family wheels is a '99 Quest with 170 hp. Not particularly fast (or economical for that matter), but it manages to get the job done, and the Freestyle has to be a performance improvement.

Of course, if the 3.5 was available, I would get it, but I don't think having the 3.0 is going too hurt sales too much, although you will lose the V8 or nothing crowd in either case.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173

As you can see were set for the Car, but we will probally trade in the escape on a freestyle as an upgrade in space (just depends on the towing amount) We use the Escape more than the Accord as an evrywhere vehicle.

Odie
    ODIE6L: See message 397 for Freestyle's towing capacity, 2000 lbs. The link leads you to Ford's media site, and will let you find their press kit. (Just do a "find" for the word tow.)

Most minivans nowadays can pull 3500, the amount an Escape does.

Sam
    I saw the Autonews Detroit interview with Amy Marentic (Marketing Manager for 500/Freestyle) again.

I missed the first time is her claim on the Duratec/CVT combo. I recalled her touting on extra efficiency, but not her numbers.

She says CVT's efficiency would make the Duratec's 200 ponies act like 250. Please note the Explorer V8 has 239. It would be just a bit more efficient MPG-wise than a 6-speed transmission.

Let's substract the fact that she's marketing the vehicle. Suppose you test drive the Freestyle & a Taurus Duratec Wagon (about same weight & engine). You'll notice "Freebie" will have more power, accelerate more, etc. How much? To be determined.

Sam
    I decided to pass on the Monterey and wait for the Freestyle. (Provided my Contour doesn't "die".)

Some of the features of the Monterey really made an impact on us, like the heat/cool seats, and so on. I noticed in Marentic's interview they'll do a Mercury Freestyle clone later on the 2005 Model year. There was a short mention about it on this thread. Is there a way to know more about it?

Sam
    Not yet, the details are still being panned out.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    even have a name for the Mercury Freestyle yet?
    Nope, that won't be mentioned till mid-later this year.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    ..the Ford "F" names and the Mercury "M" names, I guess they'll call it the Mercury MEstyle. Don't know why they just can't have a good car name and not have to make it match with the leading character of the Make.
    MEstyle - For those who can only have it their way... =)

Sam
    Feel free to call all this a guess.

If Mercury hasn't even named the car, it'll be out by Model 2006 at the earliest. The plant has its hands full with 3 promising-to-be-popular models. Unexpected higher demand could likely delay delivery more.

My nearby Ford dealer rep said they're expecting the 500 & Freebie to be very popular. Expect token rebates like the 2005 Focus' ($500), just released.

BTW, ZF started transmission manufacture in Feb. F-day (no four-letter word here) is getting closer.

Sam
    EVERY manufacturer expects very new model to be very popular and not to have to have large rebates.

Whoever heard of a car company saying "We don't think this will sell well and it will have large rebates from day one."?
    I agree on the dealer's take, Sir JOHNCLINEii.

At the same time, my pictures on webshots were seen 500-600 times.
    The "fashion" is now toward utility without the truck.
    And Ford had relatively good success entering late an emerging market (Escape on small SUVs).

In short, it may be a bit harder than we would like to get "Freebie" =) on its first months. (Unless you want to pay top, middle and bottom dollar for it.)

Sam
    I noticed that the 2002 and 2003 Saturn VUE's each only had privacy glass on the rear quarter but not on the 2nd row passenger windows. However the 2004 VUE does include full privacy glass. Why can they do it but Ford Freestyle cannot? I think it is a big disappointment if Ford cannot offer the privacy glass people expect from a crossover vehicle especially when Nissan Murano, Saturn VUE, Chrysler Pacifica, Honda Pilot, Volvo XC90, even Hyundai Santa Fe all do, just to name a few. The Freestyle is after all alot larger and heavier than an Escape. To me this is a bigger issue than the purported underpowered engine. At least with the smaller engine I will benefit from better mileage, whereas the lack of privacy glass is the equivalent of driving in a large fish bowl. I for one will probably not buy one for just this reason. I have a Taurus wagon now and I like it in terms of the value I have gotten out of it but I would never buy a large car with that many windows unless they were privacy glass.
    Ok, so while the car excels in numerous factors that please you, you disregard a car for a window tinting factor? It won't cost more than $70 to have it tinted aftermarket. Maybe another $70 to do the front windows and have it all uniformed in tint ?