Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My Nubira was doing the same thing. The catalytic converter(s) were stopped up. If you can get underneath, it's 3 nuts to loosen right under the exhaust manifold and a triangular shaped flange afterwards you can drop the exhaust pipe down and see if the engine will start. If it does the converters are stopped up. I took off my converters and just knocked everything out with a pipe and put them back on. Engine codes come on, but I bought a cheap scanner reset thing on ebay to reset the computer. Hope this helps.
  • Hi,

If your problem is the same as mine, most likely the cause is the wire running from the power button on the shift lever to the tranny controler. You will have to undo the set screw on the shifter knob, and slide it off, then find all the screws that hold the console down to the floor and lift the console off. The wire runs down inside the shifter lever from the button to an electrical connector that goes to the controler unit underneath the console. The way the car is built, there is some slack in that wire to allow movement when the lever is moved from each gear, but they apparently do not strap the wire down cleat of the levers moving parts, so eventually, the wire can get cut by the moving parts at the bottom of the lever where all the moving parts are. You should be able to splice the wire back together and wrap it really good w electrical tape, and move it out of the way and put everything back together.
    Let me know if this works for you please.
  • I can only guess that the nubria engine is similar to that of the Leganza 2.2 as far as the timing marks go, if you can't seem to locate them. If it is, the problem is that they are not actually "timing Marks" as we are used to them in the older cars. I am guessing that they are the same on yours. If so, what you are actually looking for is 2 very slight notches molded into the top edge of the metal or plastic backing cover bolted on the engine block behind the camshaft gears. If I could draw them here for you I would. Once you see them, you will be surprised that you didn't notice them before. They line up almost perfectly with the grooves and marks on the camshfaft gears. Also, if the engines are the same basic set up, your biggest problem is going to be getting the tensioner to line up right. You will probably need a helper, because if the engine is still in the car it takes like 4 or five hands to get everything to line up and hold it in place while you tighten the tensioner. Please let me know how you make out with it.
  • Don't be so quick to blame the shop as incompeten. In my opinion,it is really the fault of the design engineers and the choice of materials that are used for the covers and the way they are molded. Every single engine I have ever worked on, with the recessed sparkplugs down inside the cover has has a leak in the same places. The #1 and # 4 cylinders seem to leak much worse then the # 2 and 3. I believe it is because the covers are made from plastic, and cannot take the extreme heat conditions which causes them to leak from warpage under heat. I have done many cover gasket repairs, and both the ones I have done, as well as the ones done by many diofferent shops all have this problem, wheter you use extra sealant or not. I think that if the covers were molded with a metal reinforcing frame work inside the plastic, they would warp much less or not at all. I have never had this kind of problem with metal covers that have bolts all around the perimeter. Even the valve covers that are metal or cast aluminum, that don't have the spark plugs under or thru the center seem to have a big tendency to leak, and I think it is mainly because they only have 2 hold down bolts near each end as opposed to bolts all around the edges. Any other thoughts on this??
  • hi joe,
    even though I am experiencing the same problem as you are with my PWR lite..The engine shifts OK into overdrive until the engine gets really warmed up..Then it slips out of the overdrive gear into 3rd..All other gears are OK..I changed the thermostat and had the tranny fluid/filter replaced and still not working..Again, it shifts fine until engine gets really warmed up (usually after about 15 minutes on the highway),just all at once downshifts to 3rd gear (from overdrive) and will not shift back into overdrive (all other gears are OK) until engine cools off..Thanks for youe help!
  • dper299dper299 Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 Leganza, I am getting a roar/singing type sound that is coming from the drivers side front end as best as I can tell @ 40 mph and above. When I move swerve the car back and fourth @ this speed the noise goes away,But is there only when you keep the wheels straight. I have rotated the tires and it's not tire noise. My feeling is that it's a hub bearing.. Any other opinions or ideas would help..Thanks
  • Does anyone know where I can get the lower A Frames. 2001 Daewoo Nubira had them replaced with new ones 4 years ago. Then a year ago from they had to be replaced again and we took them off a junk car.
    I need new ones again. Any ideas of where to start to look for them. I need both sides.
  • manichovmanichov Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a Daewoo Nubira 2000 and I need code for my radio. Your codes doesn't work. My radio label number is: 00317403 22

Please try to Help me

Maurice
  • sherry123sherry123 Posts: 15
    Check with your local Daewoo dealer. When I bought mine, there was a code that attached to the key ring. Of course I lost it!
    If there is no local dealer, my dealer still has Daewoo information
    304 727 2921. Ask for Daewoo Parts Department. Good luck.
  • YEP< that's your problem! I have it to on the right front, squealing and the right rear, roaring, like really bad road noise. Just found all 4 on napaonline.com for $297.00 plus tax.
  • paulpghpaulpgh Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 nubria wont shift out of park No brake lights, I replaced the brake switch 3 times to make sure and all the fuses are good, I recently replace all the disc brakes then this happened. Any suggestions. Do the brake lights run in series?
  • on my 2001 lanos,my turn signal and 4 way hazzard lites do not work..Started out just not flashing (but would lite up)..Now they don't even lite up in the dash or outside the car..tried replacing the relay under dsah..still not working..all fuses look OK..
  • Have seen a lot of postings about people needing radio codes for one reason or another. I stumbled across this website just now by accident while searching for parts. Hope it helps everyone. If it does, please post it and repost the web link with your update so others know.
    http://www.sunlcar.com/CarBase.htm ;)
  • niromnirom Posts: 1
    I ve been an owner of this Lanos 1.5L 2002(2dor hatchback) and I must say for the money it has been a real good car.Followed proper maintenance at the dealership and seriously can t complain.Timing belt was change at 100 00 km.systems flush at regular intervals as per manufacturer and I even got a brand new A?C installed in it last year for next to nothing(Originally didn t bougth it with AC)Gas mileage 41 mpg on highway at speed of 120kph.The only glitch I have are the windows(driver/pass)have a tendency of coming down on their own barely noticable(nopwr windows).Winter driving up here in Canada has been great too....toobad no more new Lanos are on the market.Mitsubishi dealer(previously Daewoo)have been great for customer service here in Moncton NB.
    Emd of rant....
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    I have had my 1999 Leganza CDX for over 10 years now, and it still runs, drives and feels like brand new. I cannot say the same for any of my friends who had to change their transmissions up to 3 times in the first 100K on their Accords, and then get rid of it, or the ones that had to replace their seized engines because of oil sludge in the Toyota's.
    BTW, if you want a new Lanos, they are selling now rebadged as the Chevy Aveo, Pontiac Vibe and Suzuki Swift. The new GM world vehicle if GM ever makes it this year without going belly up will be the Chevy Kruze, also known as The Daewoo Lacetti which is the latest generation of the Daewoo Nubira.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,707
    wow, man, long time no post. How are you doing? Thanks for that clarification on the Daewoo Lacetti being the new planned model Chevy Cruze. I thought it looked pretty familiar.

I no longer have either of my two Kia's, I am driving a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. But I still realize the importance of Daewoo to GM, it was an entry manner for GM to start building cars for the Asian masses.

I think that GM will go bankrupt eventually, and reorganize a stronger and leaner Company. I have a hard time seeing it go any other way, they are in so much crushing debt, and people aren't buying new cars.

Nice to hear from you again. I remember some really good times on here for years sticking up for the Korean makes, facing tremendous resentment from the domestic carfanatics. Look how things have gone, Hyundai/Kia are surging, GM has taken the plants and resources and built some good cars for many markets through GM Daewoo Auto and Technology Co., and the domestics are going down the potter.

I remember your '99 Daewoo Leganza so well, and how you have described it's various aspects through the years, and how it has lasted well for you. A lot of it is following the manufacturer's recommendations for routine maintenance, eh?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• mervamerva Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Daewoo Nubira wagon with an 2XR engine immobiliser. Intermittantly the immobilser won't turn off even though the cars indicators flash. When the key is turned to on the ignition lights don't come on and the car can't be started. I would like to either remove or disable the immobiliser. Can anyone help with information.

Thanks for your help
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    Glad to hear from you again. Yes we still have 3 Daewoo leganza's in the family and all 3 are running great. I also am driving now a brand new car which is the 2009 Mazda 6. Still holding on to the opinion that you get the best car for the money, regardless of the make. What is ironic is I settled for this because the Korean car I really wanted was more expensive (Hyundai Genesis) . But I think Mazda did an outstanding job on the new Mazda6.
    Last year I drove my trusty Leganza down across the USA all the way from Toronto to Sunny Florida and back the next week. Very nice road trip. Not bad for a Daewoo, and I made it to Florida in 3 tanks full.
    If you go back to the historical posts, all my predictions did come true. The most interesting GM small cars today are Daewoo cars being sold worldwide. Including some SUV's (Saturn Vue is the Daewoo S3X). But like you said, I agree GM will have to go bankrupt at some point and come back as GM2. What would be nice is if Daewoo came back as its own brand, if GM does not make it. :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,707
    needed some settle money or something, and agreed to sell off it's interest in Daewoo back to Daewoo itself, such a thing might be possible. GM will not give up very easily, though, although this is gonna be a tough go for them. It's not lookin' too good.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• sermocosermoco Posts: 1
    My Daewoo Nubira 2001 has a transponder inmobilizer system. The key for that is a small black plastic 2" stick, of which I have 2 sets, but any of those work. Since today when I turn on the ignition the system is not disarming (light won't stop flashing). I have the override code and sequence to do it. I did it twice, but it is not working. Is there any tip about the oveerriding that I should know or my system or keys are just out of order? What's the problem there and if anyone of you know the answer please help me.
  • Help
    Car runs good, no smoke or high temperture.
    No water in oil, clean. no loss of power
    Not loosing oil or coolant.
    But foamy and thick in the coolant plastic bottle area.
    any Ideas? I thought I would drain and flush the radiator and refill.
    But concern about condition of the coolant?
    Paul :confuse:
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Oil in coolant is usually caused by blown head gasket, or leak in transmission cooler part of radiator....neither situation is good.
  • Head gasket is good and does tranmission cooler into the radiator but not red?
    Any body know about Daewoos? :confuse:
  • What did the issue end up being?
  • Can anyone tell me how to get the tires off the lanos? We have tried everything
    That's not a clear question.

Do you mean how to jack up the vehicle?
    Or do you mean, how to take the lug nuts off?
    Or do you mean, how to take the rim/tire off the vehicle?
    Or do you mean, how to dismount the tire from the rim?
  • Changed coolant and still driving it! :shades:
  • How to take the rim and tire off the vehicle?
    sure, You could have security locks on the lugnuts.

Have the car jacked up, but perhaps can't figure out how to get the lugnuts off.

Is that your problem?
  • Car is jacked up and lug nuts are off. Tire and rim will still not budge. If it is seized up what would you recommend?