Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    lovemylanoslovemylanos Member Posts: 6
    But it almost sounds like there's a lot of crud in your fuel filter. Fuel pumps/filters have gone out a lot in previous cars I've owned and the scenario sounds a bit familiar.
    Could be completely wrong, though. You may have a spark plug blizting in and out, a loose wire or any number of things.

Try the forum that I linked to ("auto repair") in post #668.
    Seems like one of the most helpful places I've seen on the net as far as mechanically-oriented people answering questions. Cars are tricky though. :(
  • Options
    ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    Does anyone know where I could find 1999 Daewoo Leganza Axle seals that go into transmission?
  • Options
    ewebster1ewebster1 Member Posts: 37
    i get my parts from west cox buick in Burlington,nc tele. phone # 336-228-0141 they can still get parts for daewoo cars, not cheap though they may can ship the parts to you
    hope this helps
    tina
  • Options
    nubiracdx2002nubiracdx2002 Member Posts: 6
    The motor of my 2002 nubira is acting up. I changed timing belt and tune up in November. Also changed 02 sensors, filters, etc. However the motor is "choking" at low rpm's as if it's not getting gas..but it is consuming gas like crazy. I'm afraid this car is dying on me...(61K!) :confuse:
  • Options
    nubiracdx2002nubiracdx2002 Member Posts: 6
    I'm selling my 2002 Nubira Wagon. I was a good car for us in the first three years but since last November it started breaking and I'm really tired of throwing money at the motor and breaks with no real solution in sight. :(
  • Options
    i am going to do the same thing just bought a air compressor which was alittle over $500 and really do not know if it will fix it the mechanic said it may be the expander as well we have been having problems with the 2001 nubria, nice car but somethings keeps going wrong with this car all the time not easy to find parts nor is it easy to find someone to work on it,have a 2001 nubira with 46,000 miles on it
  • Options
    raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone that is familiar with replacing the head on a 2000 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L, tell me whether the head gasket goes on dry or with sealer, and if so what type?

Also what is the proper torque for the head bolts?

Thanks,
    Ray. (Victim of a timing belt failure and 16 bent valves)
  • Options
    pjsalmonpjsalmon Member Posts: 1
    Hi Please help, I seem to be one of the dwindling owners of a Daewoo!

I have a 1997 Nubira 1.6 lit that has an issue with the oil pressure light coming on, it still drives (I know, I'm a mechanic of old and had to get home) but the cam starts to rattle, the light comes on and off.

Has anyone had the same problem? Is it the oil Pump? Where is the oil pump can you get to it by dropping the sump? Could it be a blockage in the head gasket as the bottom end has not siezed up?

Will have a go myself if I have some info rather than spend loads of $'s.
  • Options
    dmr1214dmr1214 Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem and I had it diagnosed and the dealer said the same thing...that I needed a new a/c. This was about a year and a half ago they diagnosed it. However, I don't think its the compressor in my case...I think its a short somewhere in the wiring. In a span of a just a year my back speaker shorted out, my keyless entry/alarm no longer works (batt. in key is fine), my a/c stopped blowing cold air (I used to be able to bang on the dash and it would kick in, but that was only short term), the lights on the a/c control panel flicker on and off as I drive, and I've gone through four starters. Anyone else having this problem???

PS...FYI you can buy parts online direct from Daewoo now.
  • Options
    the mechanic also told me it was the expander and that would cost over $500 just for the cost of the labor because you have to tear everything out of the dashboard,but he also said it is more common for the compressor to go bad and if it was him he would replace the compressor first to see if that would solve the problem but he could not gaurrentee that is what it is, your car sounds like mine,we had the battery replaced in the key,battery replaced in the car,brake lights we could not keep working for any length of time,the air went out about a year before this and we had the mechanic to check it out and he thought it was the wiring as well but finally he put a new control panel on it and the air worked for another year and now this it seems like every time it is something and it is not cheap to keep this car running either.
    thanks for the tip i will check to see what the dryer for my compressor cost we had to order the dryer for the compressor as well it should be in today or monday then we will know for sure rather the air will work.
  • Options
    billy62billy62 Member Posts: 3
    Recently the check engine light came on in my Daughters 2001 Nubira. Had the codes identified at a local auto parts store as being transmission related, however everything was still working normally. Yesterday she pulled up to a stop sign and as she tried to pull away, her car would not move forward in any gear. She told me that it had started being sluggish on take off. Any ideas as to what her problem is and how to fix. Thanks
  • Options
    there has been a recall done on the daewoos it maybe that the recall is sensor related,i am going to get rid of mine as soon as i can hope you find out what the probelm is
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my '97 Cavalier...the check engine light wouldn't go off and everytime I took it to be diagnosed there was a different code in it saying something else was wrong. Then I was at a stoplight one day and tried to take off when the light turned green and it jerked forward a couple of times before stopping completely. The car was on but nothing was happening when I hit the gas. It was like that the whole ride home. I replaced several sensors and what not before they figured out that the computer was what was malfunctioning and once they replaced it everything was fine. I also had a similar problem with my Nubira except the check engine light was not coming on beforehand and that ended up being something caught in my fuel filter. When I got it going again I had a friend mechanic take a look at it and he just ran the gas hard while in park to flush out the filter and that was it...never had another problem with it. I would check into both of those things, although it sounds more like the computer problem I had rather than the fuel filter problem.
  • Options
    just want everyone to know i got the air condtioner fixed on my nubria the daewoo dealership wanted $1600 to fix it i took it to a mechanice our mechanic recommended because our mechanic did not feel comfortable working on a foriegn car he said he thought if we just had the compressor replaced which would be a total of between $700 to $800 for the compressor and the labor so we went with that he called yesterday afternoon and said it was working
    i said praise GOD it is back in our driveway and the air conditioner was working when we parked it
    hope this will last until we can sell it
    thanks all
    tina
  • Options
    arlafmarlafm Member Posts: 2
    Like many of the other stories i've read in here I bought a 2000 Lanos Daewoo this Feb. at an impound yard. It had 47,000miles on it and my uncle who is a mechanic hooked it up to his computer and said it ran like a brand new car. So i bought it for a lil under 3,000. Well over the weekend i went out of town and left my car parked. When i came home all of a sudden my brake lights were only coming on some of the time. So i replaced the brake light switch. My battery died, finally found one to replace that. Then a few weeks ago i got a recall notice for the cam shaft censor which would cause the check engine light to come on. Well the light wasn't coming on but i took it to the dealer anyway hoping to solve the prob. before it actually became one. Well weeks later now my check engine light is coming on and my mechanic said it has to do with the cam shaft censor. So i called the dealer who suposedly fixed that problem and he tells me that if it isn't the problem there gonna charge me $150. Well i'm as poor as it gets and i'm wondering if the car is even worth all the trouble? Or should i flop a for sale sign on it? I'd really appreciate some advice....Thank you!!!
    -Arla
  • Options
    sound like exactly what i have been running into with my 2001 nurbia except i have had probelms with my air conditioner like you had the car battery replaced,the brake lights would come on sometimes and sometimes they would not had rewiring down on that,the air conditioner would work sometimes and again sometimes it would not we had the control panel replaced,that lasted 1 summer then it went out totally,took it to the dealership and they told me it would cost over $1600 to fix it the air compressor needed to be replaced,expander and the dryer so i told them to get it ready for me to pick up that afternoon not to touch the air conditioner i took it to another mechanic and he told me he thought if we just replaced the air comnpressor it would work $800 later we have air but my advise is to get rid of the car am going to myself as soon as i get it paid for i owe alittle over $2,000 on it now, it is hard to find someone to work on the car and to find parts i have learned one lesson from owning this car and that is to own nothing but GM products like chevrolet at least we can find parts for the car and find someone to work on them
    hope you get things worked out and find a decent car.
    tina
  • Options
    1999 Daewoo Leganza .. I need to replace my A/C resistor. Does anyone klnow where it is located in the car? Is it under the dash (passengers side)? Is there a manual or diagram that shows this?
  • Options
    mark2474mark2474 Member Posts: 2
    Today - of joy of joys, my cam belt went - without any warning at all.

I have been advised that it is probably worth trying a new cam belt and hope that the pistons are not to badly damaged (your opinion??)

I am reluctant to spend £100 on a mechanic, but have a colleague who can do this for me though he doesnt know Daewoo's.

He needs the timing specs and settings for the cams to refit a belt.

Please help!!

Mark
  • Options
    horndawg54horndawg54 Member Posts: 9
    Wait a second both of you. I have owned a 2001 Leganza CDX for 2.3 years now. bought it with 23.5 K and it now has 60.5K. To date I have put nothing in that car, but oil. I am getting the timing belt replace shortly.

4 months ago I bougt my daughter a 2001 Leganza Se. Got it home an the oil was leaking badly. Oil pump gasket was bad. whil he had it open, I did the timing belt $800, but that timing belt was coming due soon any way.

As far as parts, Many many part cant be gotten for your garage mechanic. timing belt, tension pulleys were all available. The oil pump gasket and oil pan gasket were not as easy for the mechanic to find. I went to daewoous.com and ordered the parts. They overnighted them at a premium shipping, and they part got to my mechanic before the ones he order from his normal supplier.

Daewoous.com has every part. They have diagrams to show you what you need. Now they may be a little more expensive, but they are available.

I had to later replace the break-light switch which I got at auto zone. $20 five minutes.

All in all the best car investment I have ever made.

Mark
  • Options
    mark i am glad for you to have have such a good report from the use of your daewoo but for me i have not been so lucky. giving the devil his dues the car is nice,drives good and rides good but i have had alot of problems with this car and it is hard to find mechanics to work on it and with just a little over 46,000 on the car we should be not be having so many problems with it,the first 2 years the car was great and after that it has been one thing right after another,yes we are the only owners of this car drove it off the lot with 128 miles on it,been serviced as it should be,we have replaced the battery,had the lights re wired,the brake lights had to be re wired, they kept going out,replaced the control panel,replaced the air compressor,dryer,and the motor on the power windows had to be replaced,believe me they or anything else about that car is not cheap. right now i can;t think of anything else but am sure there are more items that have been replaced. would you like to buy the car for $3500.00 ?
    thanks alot for your input but for me there is not alot of good things i can say about my 2001 daewoo nubria CDX.maybe i am not picking up on some things about my car wish i felt different about it but i don't
    have a good day and hope you continue to have good results from your car truley do.
    tina
  • Options
    mark2474mark2474 Member Posts: 2
    Hi.

Have had a look at daewoous.com, but am in the UK and cant get proper access.

All i am looking for is the settings needed when replacing the belt so the timing is correct. Daewoo no longer have a working website in the UK and have no manual to refer to. I am struggling to find anywhere that can give me this information and is really important.

(Was meant to be going on a driving holiday today!)

Anyone have any ideas??
  • Options
    I have not had good luck with my Daewoo neither. And now that it is worth more than I owe on it, can't sell it or trade it in. When my vehicle was under warranty I had to drive at least 50 miles to have it serviced...that was a little ridiculous to me. But anyway, you just have to deal with the problems that are handed to you. I do find that Daewoo's website is the best to find parts, however, you can also get some basic stuff on rockauto.com. I believe they have manuals on there, too. I would give them a try.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    My nubira got stuck in park. I was able to stick a screw driver into a space next to the arm to get it to move, but I now have no brake lights. Please help.
  • Options
    digitrakdigitrak Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 2001 Lanos, I can here the starter turning but it sounds like it is not engaging anything. The engine is not even trying to turn over. Have you or anyone found the answer to this problem?
    Thanks
    Evan
  • Options
    My 1999 daewoo Leganza's Hood will not stay up without assistance from vice grips or by something holding it open. Can someone tell me what part I need?
  • Options
    arlafmarlafm Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if it's normal..but after driving my car for about 25-30mins, i extract the key and the metal of it is Hott. Has anyone else experienced this??? Not sure if my starter might be going. I was able to find a brake light switch and a fuel filter through Rancho Grande Motors. Totalling around $50. My mechanic said i'll be needing to replace my timing belt in about 5,000miles. I've got around 56,000 on it right now. Stupid car..I want to kick it :mad: ... Thanks for everyones insight. Much Obliged...
    -arla
  • Options
    french_fabfrench_fab Member Posts: 1
    Dear ehamilto55,

You have a scan of all the part list of leganza here :
    http://acdc-service.ru/leganza.php

You will find all about A/C.
    I have also the scan of the leganza service manual in pdf if you want.

hope this will help you !
  • Options
    I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza SX does anyone know if you can recharge the a/c without taking to shop. Recharge Freeon
  • Options
    sherry123sherry123 Member Posts: 15
    I got my compressor/dryer/orifice line from discount a/c parts.com
    I purchased a rebuilt unit with 12 mo warranty.
    Total spent was a bit less than $800 including a line I had to purchase from a dealer for $76
    So far, so good. !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    The reason it is stuck is because you brake like switch is broken. Very common. It is about $23 at autozone..that is where I got mine. it has one screw holding it on and one wiring harness that goes into it. 5 minute job. The slot you stuck your screw driver into is for you KEY it realesea the car from Park so you can start it.

Goood luck
  • Options
    Mine is hot too, it is not a problem.

It really seem to me that people with nubera and lanos do not like their cars, but leganza people are very happy with theirs.
  • Options
    lorac3lorac3 Member Posts: 8
    I just replaced the brake switch last week on my nubira. Everything seems to be great, but this morning I went out to start my car and it sounded like it wasnt' going to turn over, like the battery was weak or something. Droppped my son off at work, came right back home, turned the car off and tried to start it up again and it did the same thing.
  • Options
    otasotas Member Posts: 1
    You need a new brake light switch !

It mounts down by your brake pedal !

this will cure your problem !

John
  • Options
    I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza and my ac compressor is not switching on. My mechanic took a look and noticed the compressor not switching on. What would cause this? Bad compressor? Bad wiring? Why no power to compressor?

Thanks to who ever could help out
  • Options
    when we first started having problems with our air conditioner it stopped working all together we had to replace the control panel on our daewoo nubria that maybe your problem that fixed my problem for about 1 year then we had to replace the air compressor but when the compressor went out it blew warm air
    get your control panel checked
    good luck
  • Options
    line3line3 Member Posts: 9
    mikey16,
    someone else took it in to fix it, so i don't know what really was wrong. but they said something along the lines that the wiring of the display unit burned out and they replaced the affected wire(s). it cost around a $100 and wasn't that complicated.
  • Options
    line3line3 Member Posts: 9
    Just curious how long Daewoos can last. I know this isn't scientific or anything, but how many miles/kms do you have on your Daewoo?

Mine - 63,300 miles, 99 Leganza.

Hasn't had major issues (just a bunch of small annoying ones).
  • Options
    billy62billy62 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone tell me where I can get a Service Manual for a 2001 Nubira? I had ordered a CD from the UK that was supposed to be a complete service manual. Turns out it wasn't. I need the diagnosis section for the automatic transmission and diagnostic code section. Someone please help.

Thanks
  • Options
    My 99 daewoo Leganza SX has been having a/c issues // It seems that my compressor comes on every once in awhile. My mechanic checked it and he said there is no power going to Compressor. What would cause this? Bad switch or control panel? On the control panel my lights work and the a/c light comes on when I push the button but the compressor does not kick on. Can someone help?
  • Options
    i have a 2001 daewoo nubria and mine did exactly what yours did it turned out to be at that time the control panel,replaced that and it worked fine for about 2 years
    hope this will help, good luck
  • Options
    Why would the control panel be bad? It turns the fans on and lights are working. Why would this cause the compressor not to turn on?
  • Options
    lasagnoslasagnos Member Posts: 2
    Try replacing the A/C relay switch. It's in the fusebox under the hood. It is a standard plug-in module found on many Korean makes. We got one from the salvage yard for $3 and it did the trick when our Leganza had the same problem.
  • Options
    lasagnoslasagnos Member Posts: 2
    You can tighten the cable by removing a little plastic cover at the back of the center console. Use a ratchet with an extension to tighten the nut. This puts tension back in the brake lever but we found that the real problem was with the parking brake drums, not the cable. We still have not had it fixed and I'd like to hear how others have adjusted these flimsy little drum brakes.
  • Options
    mrfunchessmrfunchess Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Did you find out were to obtain the timing specs and settings for the cams to refit a new belt? I have a 2001 Daewoo Leganza and need the same information.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
  • Options
    aaronspenceraaronspencer Member Posts: 2
    I bought my girl a 99 Nubira CDX. 2 weeks after buying the car won't shift out of park. I was told it was the brake light switch. However brake lights still worked. I went and replaced the switch but it still won't shift out of park. Can't figure it out. HELP!
  • Options
    aaronspenceraaronspencer Member Posts: 2
    The stereo stopped working in my girls 99 Nubirs CDX. I pulled the fuse to check it and it was ok. So after I put it back in the stereo worked fine. Now it happened again but the stereo isn't turning on at all and the fuse is fine. Anybody have a clue on the problem?
  • Options
    when i was having problems with my daweoo nubria i contacted the daewoo corp and they told me where to find a daewoo dealership they were specially trained for the daewoo cars, they were the only ones that was able to repair my problem so go on the daewoo website and find a daewoo dealership and in your area and talk to them,they may be alittle more expensive but may find your problem and fix it i am from the state of NC
    sorry i could not be of more help,that problem i have not had
    tina
  • Options
    daughter1daughter1 Member Posts: 1
    I disconnected the battery cable on my Daewoo Leganza and now my stereo won't work because I bought the car used and I don't have the security code. Can you help me find a way to get the code or find a solution to the problem of how I can get my stereo to work again. Thanks.
  • Options
    danaukdanauk Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me - my 2002 Lanos 1.6 (only 30,000 miles)has been diagnosed by the local Chevrolet garage (in the UK Chevrolet took over Daewoo) as needing a new ECU, at a cost of £1000 which I can't afford. I don't even believe this is the problem. It was over revving a lot, sometimes the idling revs were up to 2000 and they tried to upgrade the software but said it is all up to date. The only thing they can try now is a new ECU. In the meantime they disconnected the idle valve from the ECU and said this would help for now, but that I may not be able to start up in cold weather. But the car is almost undriveable until it has warmed up a lot. It is stuttering and dying out and kangarooing and basically drives like a car with no choke. So they charged me £300 to do this, and the "diagnosis", but now it is worse than before, and is actually still over revving quite a lot, though maybe a bit less than before. I asked them to undo what they did, but they got really angry and said they wouldn't do anything else unles I agreed to put in a new ECU. Please help, it is making me cry (I am a girl though)!
  • Options
    yummycheeseyummycheese Member Posts: 1
    If you could Can I please have copy of that leganza service manual. Im currently changing the head gasket and timeing belt on my '01 leganaza and some insight from the service manual would be great instead of just figuring it out as I go.