Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeffisujeffisu Member Posts: 7
    I had a similar issue where it would start fine, but it wouldn't turn off past the ACC position, it just stuck there. Typically turning it back to ON (not starting it) and forth a few times and it worked. Took it to dealer, they pulled lock cylinder out and tried to re-lubricate it to no avail, so they replaced it, so far so good - set me back about $148 parts/labor which is highway robbery, but it's working now.
  • castropmcastropm Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem happen to me yesterday. I was driving my 2000 Leganza and it just died on me. I had a quarter of a tank and put more gas but nothing. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Pat
  • ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    Any information on this?

I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza and I just replaced a couple of hoses for my radiator. I replaced a bypass hose and the hose that goes into the water pump. After I did this my temperatur gauge does not move at all. It does not move off of the C symbol for Cold. I thought it might be my Thermostat being stuck open but this has happened before but it just took awhile for the teperatur gauge to move. Now it does not move off of the cold mark. Can someone help me with this issue?
  • scininjascininja Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the heads up. I relented and got my car towed today. 45$ for the tow, 110$ for the new ignition cylinder. As a side note, a couple months back the tip of my key broke off inside the ignition! 120$ to have a locksmith come and yank a piece out from inside the ignition. I think its time for a new car... :)
  • iguannasiguannas Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the battery on my 2000 Daewoo Nubira wagon... will these codes work for my wagon as well? :confuse:

IGuannaS
  • jeffisujeffisu Member Posts: 7
    Only one way to find out.. try them all. If not, call Daewoo customer service with your VIN.. follow that post.
    Does anyone know where the Coolant Thermostat Sensor is located in a 1999 Daewoo Leganza? Any diagrams or pictures would be appreciated...
  • pdyepdye Member Posts: 1
    My lanos is blowing smoke and losing coolant when I add coolant the car sputters but doesnt smoke when it gets low it smokes but runs fine. There arent any signs of water in the oil so I dont think it is the head. Does anybody have any suggestions?
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    It is the head gasket. The coolant is not leaking into the oil but is leaking into one of the cylinders and getting burnt with the gas, hence the smoke. You can prove by pulling out the spark plugs. One of them will have green/grayish burned residue from the coolant. Engine and head are ok. just need to replace the head gasket.
  • redwingsruleredwingsrule Member Posts: 2
    I know nothing about Daewoo but that sounds like a bad throttle position sensor to me.
  • ruff14uruff14u Member Posts: 2
    I found that the " hot wire" from the control panel goes out sometimes. I remedied that by installing a toggle switch inside my wife's 2001 Nubira. When she wants A/C she just flips the switch. It's the same as turning on the regular switch (supplied power to compressor). Glad to be of help.
  • ruff14uruff14u Member Posts: 2
    I found that the " hot wire" from the control panel goes out sometimes. I remedied that by installing a toggle switch inside my wife's 2001 Nubira. When she wants A/C she just flips the switch. It's the same as turning on the regular switch (supplied power to compressor). Glad to be of help.
    I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza and my oil filler cap's O-ring broke and it leaked oil into my spark plugs. All 4 spark plugs are halfway covered by oil. I just replaced the O-ring on the filler cap and no more oil leaks. How can I get the oil out of the spark plugs holes. I would like to change the spark plugs and wires but I am worried about taking out the spark plug and all the oil in the holes. Any suggestions are welcome.....
  • kenarankenaran Member Posts: 2
    Hello

The climate selector knob on my 2002 Lanos 4 door seems to have broken. I can turn it, it stops at the positions and feels like it works, but no matter the other settings air only comes out the front vents, and I need my front defroster right now. All I know about the cause of the problem is that it's not ice related, we haven't had a big enough frost yet.

I'm an engineer and the only thing keeping me from digging into this is that I can't find a do it yourself guide for my Daewoo. I had to get behind the dash of a Ford Taurus once, and I would rate that as absolutely impossible without a good guide with lots of pictures.

Any help is greatly appriciated. This is the only problem I've had with the car, and not something I'll take it to the shop over.

Thanks
  • kendangelicokendangelico Member Posts: 2
    ehamilto55 i also have a 99 leganza and iam having a problem that you had in the past. my trans is not starting off in 1st gear and i have to manually shift it into low every time i start from a dead stop can you please tell me what you did to fix this problem i was told to change the computer and idid and that didnt work iam thinking maybe its the tcm please if you can email me at kendangelico@yahoo.com i also had oil in my plugs and when i changed the valve cover gasket it went away
  • raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    Had the same thing happen to my lanos. It would seem to be a poor design, the clear plastic bracing that holds the end of the cable in place at the back of the selector knob breaks and allow the entire cable end to move freely. It eventually happened to all three control knobs. I was able to fix it with a thin piece of wire, twisted tight around the cable and then to clear plastic, tightening it down in its original position. Fixed all three that way and they have been working like that for over a year.
    It is your transmission. I had to replace the Transmission. I bought from junkyard for $300-350 with 12,000 Miles on it. no problems since then
  • silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    "To remove the CMP, remove the sensor retaining bolt (it's a torx) and LOOSEN the stud bolt."

deadwoo2 (or anyone else who recently removed the camshaft position sensor on a nubira):

Do you recall what size torx socket needed?

:confuse:
  • kenarankenaran Member Posts: 2
    Thanks raywoo

I tackled this today after getting a set of shop manuals off ebay. Getting the control panel off was quite easy. Just remove the radio and that will expose the two more screws to remove. It sounds like my 2002 Lanos is a bit different from yours. I only had two control cables back there, the fan speed was just an all electrical set up.

For anyone else with this problem the cables we're talking about are very similar to bicycle cables, a metal cable in a plastic housing with molded in place metal ends. My problem wasn't behind the control panel, but the cable atachment there isn't the best design. My problem ended up being at the other end of the vent selector cable, which is right above the gas and brake pedals, no parts removal needed to check this, or fix it. the cable end was an even poorer design there. I fixed it with some wire and JB Weld, plus some cloth tape to use as a dam. If you're having trouble spotting it, just reach up and turn the knob, the cable is used to turn a big white 1/3 of a circle plastic lever.

I hope this helps out anyone who should have this problem in the future.
  • rmdaewoormdaewoo Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Leganza has the same problem, did you find the cause of the problem?
  • lorac3lorac3 Member Posts: 8
    I had the same problem and replace the brake switch and it is working fine now. Check the switch again and be sure it is moving in and out all the way.
  • silverback02silverback02 Member Posts: 6
    I don't know what other ppl have said, BUT if all you have is oil in the sparkplug sockets. Just remove the plugs and let it go into the cylinders, it wont harm the engine. Cleen the plugs replace and start, it will burn off the oil....or even just put a cloth or paper towel over the holes and spin the engine the compression will blow the oil out. just keep the HT leads away from earth cos they will spark..
    hope this sorts it out.
    Joe.
  • draco89349draco89349 Member Posts: 2
    Mine- 130k miles 2000 Leganza

It needs some real work done to it but I cannot find a repair manual or even afford the parts to fix it! It runs fine but the cam sensor is bad, and fuel consumption is getting worse on it. Oh well, I'll fix it when I can.
  • draco89349draco89349 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any ideas on how to tighten the trunk lever wire. I can't use the lever anymore to unlatch the trunk (I can hear it trying to). Thanks in advance.
  • kentjoungkentjoung Member Posts: 1
    We lost the transmitter to operate the security alarm. We have a spare key. We can get into the vehicle but cant start the car because we cant switch the security alarm off. Is there a manual way to switch this feature off? Any input helps...hmmmm
  • welshdragonwelshdragon Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I bought the manual and it shows Bosch FR8LDC4 as the correct plug. I've searched online and no one has this exact plug and I can't even cross reference it with other Bosch plugs.

Dealer wants $25.55. I want to buy something a little more affordable that works as well.

Has anyone had success with a different plugs? If so, which ones did you use and how long have you been using them? I plan on changing them this weekend so a quick reply would be nice :shades:

Thank you in advance,
    Welshdragon
  • waynobwaynob Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas why the idle speed is so high? It is revving at just under 3,000 rpm :confuse:
    The throttle cable returns ok, so thats not sticking.
  • aaron11aaron11 Member Posts: 4
    Hey,
    I couldn't find those plugs either, but I did find some plugs on ebay that say they are compatable with the daewoo leganza (years 99-02). You can find them at this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NGK-SPARK-PLUGS-BKR6EK-BMW-R1100S-BMW-AUTO_W0QQcm- dZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ002QQitemZ4633383510QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

or if that link isn't working, you can go to ebay.com and type the item number 4633383510 in the search field. Hope this helps --Aaron
    Hey,
    I found a manual you can access online that has schematics and procedures for pretty much everything on the vehicle. Once your assigned a login name and password it gives you access to Daewoo Leganza, Nubira, and Lanos repair manuals (all 98-01). To get a username and password for the site send an inquiry to Chris at daewoomanual@gmail.com It only costs $8 and he accepts paypal or checks.

Hope this helps,
    --Aaron
    Oh and by the way, if you are having a problem with your cam sensor you should know that Daewoo issued a recall on a lot of their cam sensors. You can see if your vehicle was affected by the recall by registering (for free) at the daewoo website

http://www.daewoous.com/Recalls.aspx

Hope this helps,
    -Aaron
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Some of you talk like there are still Daewoo dealers out there. Are there?

A friend of a friend has a Leganza that he bought for next to nothing and he needs a couple of small items for it.

I thought they were long gone?
  • ewebster1ewebster1 Member Posts: 37
    you can find items on www.daewoousa.com and most buick dealers took over the daewoo cars so check into that they can find the items you need,in the town i live in westcox buick in Burlington,nc look them up on the internet and give them a call they can get the the items and ship them to you
    hope this helps
    tina
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Thanks for the info. I will pass that on!
  • arturot83arturot83 Member Posts: 1
    try changing your tps sensor on your throtle intake, they cost about $32 @ auto zone
    ">
    There is a Daeweoo dealership in California called Coats Daewoo. You could just google Coats Daewoo and it will be found. Gary is the contact person. He has all parts for Daewoo's and he is cheaper than any other Daewoo Dealership I have dealt with. He also does quick deliveries.
    Does anyone have a diagram or know where the Thermostat Temperature Gauge Sensor is located? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza. My temperature gauge has stoped working and I think it is the sensor
    There are a couple of temp sensors on the leganza, but the one that controls the instrument panel (called the ECT sensor [engine coolant temp sensor]) is located on the cylinder head under the intake manifold. The sensor you are looking for is NOT the Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) the resides on the EGR valve mounting adapter. I don't have any diagrams, so I hope this helps. --Aaron
  • jackie9jackie9 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with the heater in my Leganza. The temperature gauge fluctuates.The heater gets warm and cold off and on. Originally it was low on water, but no longer, and still having problems. The car may be losing water somewhere as it has been low off and on recently. Not sure if it is the thermostat, etc. The car has never overheated. I have had trouble with the hearter core in the past and the mechanic I took it to said the part would be expensive, hard to get and he would have to remove the dashboard to get to it....so he reversed the hoses to run backwards? or something like that. This has worked fairly well thus far. I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with the problem I am having now. I am a female and therefore not savvy on automobile repair. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Could be that air is trapped in the cooling system. This can happen during re-fills. Your mechanic should know how to get the air out, if this is the problem.

Another possibility is that you have a bad thermostat.

Both these might cause coolant level to rise and fall and both might cause heat to fluctuate.
    I just replaced my coolant tepm sensor located under the spark plug connections. After instalation i tried to start car and power loss evry time I turn key. Any Ideas? Before I installed sensor the only issue I had was temp gaug in car was not working. Does anyone know what would cause this?
  • ggibson2ggibson2 Member Posts: 1
    Alot of problems can be solved at little cost if you go with a dealership that uses reward programs or loyalty cards such as those from http://priority1ss.com
  • klemushinklemushin Member Posts: 2
    Hey Ray,
    My timing belt just went on are 2000 daewoo lanos.I have all the parts to fix it but after reading,I want to make sure the valves are not bent,and do I have to return the cams,and the crank shaft to the right positions,and how do I go about doing this,I can't find any ifo on TDC,first # spark plug,this car is great,except to find info to work on it.Thanks for any help,Dean :confuse: :sick:
  • meteyermeteyer Member Posts: 1
    I've just recently bought a 2000 Daewoo Leganza CDX and up until this first blast of cold weather, i've been very happy with it. But it seems no matter how long i let my car warm up for in the morning or how long i'm driving it for, the heat hardly works or doesn't work at all. has anyone had a problem with this? anyone know how to fix it or whats causing it? thank you

randy
    I received a diagram from Daewoo and they show the sensor located under the spark plug wire harnes as the Coolant Temp Sensor. I replaced and it is a sensor that plugs into the engine where the Coolant is stored. It did not fix the gauge issue. If I replace the sensor you are talking about will this make my Coolant Temp. Gauge work. It stopped working when I had a leak in 1 of the hoses.
  • raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    The motor is considered an interfence type engine meaning that if the timing belt breaks the pistons WILL contact the valves. you need to remove the valve cover and you will find that there is a space between the lobes on the cam shafts and the spacer that sits on top of the valve stems. Normally they should ride right against the lobes. I replaced the valves and the valve seals myself. you will need to remove the head and examine the pistons to make sure it is just minimal contact to them, mine only had slight indentations in them, no cracks. The Cam shafts have a mark on them these marks face each other. the Crank shaft also has a mark on it, this lines up with a mark on the block, basicly it should be straight down. Hope that helps.
  • klemushinklemushin Member Posts: 2
    Where can I get info to work on this engine myself? I thank you all for you info on this car.I need to get a service manual?Where? How? Help Please? Dean :confuse:
    Go to ebaymotors.com and search for daewoo. CD's being sold for around 10 dollars for service and repair.
    For people who think their coolant is disappearing, it is a common head gasket issue. coolant seeps slowly into one of the cylinders combustion chamber and burns with the gas.
    easy to check, remove all 4 spark plugs and look for a greenish residue on the electrodes. replacement gaskets are available at ebay or at parts suppliers on the internet if you do not have any dealers close by.
    for the lanos owners, this is the same engine on the Chevy Aveo and Suzuki swift. If you need parts just go to GM
  • carolm2carolm2 Member Posts: 2
    Please can someone help I have a daewwo lanos Y reg 50,000 miles on the clock. Was running well until last week filled up with petrol and next day started misfiring garage had a look changed plugs, HT leads and distributor pack thought it was solved but still done it at first from cold and car always starts first time. started to misfire when warm. Vauxhall dealer took it A RUN ONLY PLAYED UP ONCE thought it maybe sticking valves so put some sort of liquid in engine said would clean valves and would be good for another few thousand miles. Next morning got 22 miles to work it stood for 2 hours and after starting again did same again has anyone any ideas as to what it could be Also car ha just stood for 2 days started up fine and run it for 14 miles no problems I am in despair.
  • sherry123sherry123 Member Posts: 15
    it sounds like you got bad petrol. perhaps there was some water in the tank. during extreme temperatures condensation can accumulate either in your tank or in the perol delivery system. Since you had no worries until you filled the tank, I am thinking perhaps that is the problem.
    You can clean this up by putting alcohol in the tank or here in the states they sell products to clear the water from the tanks.
    Good luck