Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    There are multiple part numbers depending of the specific features of the car and which vehicle. Best to write down all the options and vin number of the vehicle and contact a Daewoo parts source directly.

STOPLAMP switch, Lanos, Manual Trans 99-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42
    Electrical - Chassis electrical - switches - Stoplamp switch

STOPLAMP switch, Lanos, Auto Trans 99-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza 99-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza, Manual Trans, From Vin #248879 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza, Auto Trans, w/o Cruise Control, From Vin #248879 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza, Auto Trans, w/Cruise Control, From Vin #248879 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Nubira, w/o Cruise Control 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Nubira, w/Cruise Control 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42
  • tester70tester70 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, because the diagram was not informative. I still can't find this switch but, the mechanic should know. As long as I order the right part. Thanks again
  • importtechimporttech Member Posts: 1
    james

Guaranteed the valves are bent..either the belt and or one the idler pulleys broke...fixed dozens of them..
    sorry!
    JJ
  • qdog99qdog99 Member Posts: 19
    :cry: I HAVE A 1999 DAEWOO NUBIRA SX 4DR AND I HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WHEN I LET MY CAR SIT AND TRY TO UNLOCK THE DOORS WITH MY REMOTE IT DOES NOT WORK BUT THE KEY UNLOCKS ALL THE DOORS NEXT WHEN I PUT MY KEY IN THE IGNITION AND TURN IT TO ON NOT START THE INSTRUMENT PANEL IS REAL DIM LIKE THE BATTERY IS RAN DOWN IF I TURN THE KEY TO START AND HOLD IT FOR ABOUT 10 SECS IT WILL START BUT THEN THE ENGINE WILL BE RUNNING BUT MY INSTRUMENT PANEL WILL GO DIM AGAIN AND NOTHING IS REGISTERING IF I STEP ON THE BRAKE THE ENGINE DIES ALMOST EVERY TIME I'VE REPLACED THE BATTERY, IGNITION SWITCH AND CHANGED ALL FUSES AND RELAYS BUT YET IT STILL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME I'M AT THE END OF MY ROPES
  • qdog99qdog99 Member Posts: 19
    IT COULD BE A UNDERINFLATED TIRE ON THE RIGHT SIDE, OUT OF ALIGNMENT OR YOUR LOWER CONTROL ARM ON THE RIGHTSIDE IS WORN OUT
  • silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    qdog

Did you check to see if your alternator charging properly?

I had some of the problems you are describing because of a defective alternator (at 18K miles!). Towing, a new alternator (get a new one-not a rebuilt one-if you have a bad alternator) and labor cost me like $800. No more Daewoos (Suzuki Forenzas) for us!
  • chicksnbeerchicksnbeer Member Posts: 1
    i'm thinking about buying a used 99 leganza, the mileage is low (47,000) and its cheap ($3400) however i have a few concerns:

i understand that there were problems in the past with finding parts and mechanics charging outrageous fees but is it still like this now that parts have been made available on their official site? i would hate to purchase this then end up paying twice as much as its worth in parts and labor if something goes wrong. so does anyone have any recent experience with repairs in the last 6 months?
  • jmartinsjmartins Member Posts: 1
    from what I have read on this site itself is that the motor in the Daewoo also uses the same parts in Hyundai,mitsubishi honda and isuzu.so they can't be too hard to find I think!!
  • deadwoo2deadwoo2 Member Posts: 21
    I have done many, MANY repairs to my 2001 Leganza. The Deawoo site is pretty much useless unless you want to buy a Deawoo sweater. The dealers they direct you to are eager to tell you how they can't help you, and how long it will take to find parts. Ebay is a good source. I've replaced almost everything in my car. I'm waiting for my second alternator to be delivered -- it's on it's way from NC.

The thing people need to know is that the engine is a GM engine. The Isuzu Rodeo from the same years has the same engine. I use the Isuzu repair manual for engine info.

Repair places charge more for Deawoo because thay can, not because they are harder to fix. A car is a car is a car. They may have to dig a little for parts, but they are availavble. Just plug in what you are looking for into Google or some other search engine and options open up.

If you don't know how to fix a car or where to find parts you will pay huge money for parts and labor! If you can do repairs yourself, with a little delay in finding parts on the internet, a Deawoo may be a decent car. You will spend a few weekends here and there fixing it. Either way, the price you gave for that car is about $2400 too much.
    Sounds like a clogged EGR valve. You can take it off and clean it with carb cleaner. I've done that it's much cheaper than a new one. You can get engine info from theh Isuzu Rodeo manual from the same year. It's the same engine. Good luck.
    The cam position sensor on your car is at the top left as you face the car with the hood open. On the passenger side right next to the air filter box. You need to take off the cover over the spark plugs and the plastic cover that shrouds the top of the timing belt and the two cam shaft sprockets. After the cover to the spark plugs is removed move to the passenger side of the car and face belt end of the engine. You may want to remove the air filter box as well for room.

There is a thin wire that comes from behind the engine just to the left of the PCV valve hose (as you face the car from the front). That wire goes to the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor. It runs under the cover on top of the spark plugs. That cover comes off when you remove the two allen nuts.

Follow the wire. The CMP is located between the camshaft sprockets. Unplug the wire to the CMP. To remove the CMP, remove the sensor retaining bolt (it's a torx) and LOOSEN the stud bolt. You will see that the CMP sensor bracket slips between the stud bolt and the upper rear timing belt cover. Replace CMP and hook it all back up. It is a pretty easy job.
    Are you sure the sprockets are on the correct cams?

Make sure the slot on the back side of the sprocket is aligned with the guide pin on the end of the cam; the intake and exhaust sprockets are the same, but the intake slot or exhaust slot must be aligned with the pin, depending on which cam sprocket is being installed.

Then, when the number one piston is at TDC, the cam sprocket marks should align with the cooresponding stationary marks on the rear timing cover.

I do know that the marks on the sprockets do line up when the engine is at TDC. I marked the sprockets with a sharpie before I took them off. On my car, I'm pretty sure, the exhaust sprocket was the one the right with the auslass/exhaust mark lined up with the mark on the other sprocket being just a mark without any words by it.

I just pried the cover over to look at the timing marks on my car. It looks that way. Raised section reading auslass/exhaust on the right sprocket with that mark cooresponding to a lone mark on the left sprocket.

If I didn't help. Another suggestion is to maybe see if you can find a car like yours at a local junk yard and take a look. That won't cost anything but time.
    The thermostat may be faulty and not letting your car warm up as fast as it should, and the transmission fluid may be low (check it when the engine is hot on a level surface). When the tranny fluid is low it is contracted and may expand to a level that gets it shifting properly after it has a chance to heat up.
  • curetoncureton Member Posts: 5
    Hi Rusty,
    I'm also in Oz, Melbourne. Unfortunately no luck yet although a mechanic I was speaking to though that I should drain the oil via the inspection plate under the diff and he thought there was a fill plug hidden somewhere near the exit of the right hand drive shaft/CV joint.

The car is with my sister at the moment so I cannot check this.

my email is: cureton

@dcureton.com

join that together and drop me a line and i email you directly if I find anything as well as this forum.

Cheers,
    David
  • esperoespero Member Posts: 7
    i would check the servo hose from the break servo to the inlet manifold as a split in this pipe will cause the problems you have. ;)
  • esperoespero Member Posts: 7
    GM say that the cam belt should be renewed at 36k miles but thats on standard belt if you get a performance belt they will last up 60kmiles but bear in mind that in the daweoo cars they used vauxhall engines which where brittish never had a cam belt snap but they do tend to slip off if the tensioners ware to much or the water pump fails but a snaping belt is down to a faulty belt but yea the damage would be big bent valve at best at worst shagged engine.
  • shaly2shaly2 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Daewoo Lanos. I get terrible gas mileage. I have been told that if I change the fuel filter this will help. I bought a filter but do not know where it goes. Can you help me.?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • shaly2shaly2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Daewoo Lanos
    I have purchased a fuel filter for my car and need to know where it is located to replace it. I hope that this will increase the gas mileage. Please help me if you can
  • wooblooswoobloos Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2001 Leganza, 90,000 miles. I've hardly had any problems with my car until now.

Sometimes, when I come to a stop, the car idles bad and acts like it wants to die. If I put it in neutral and rev it up, it's okay until I am ready to go into drive again. It doesn't do this all the time. Seems to do it the most when I first start the car and drive when the car's cold. I finally figured out if I let it warm up so the temperature guage moves almost to the half line, it won't do it as much. I drive downtown in a lot of stop and go traffic and that's when it's the worse. Once I get on the interstate and drive for a distance and get off at a stop light, it doesn't do it anymore. Also, the check engine light was on.

I took the car to Express Oil thinking I needed a tune-up. The guy told me he didn't think it needed a tune-up and to let him hook it to the computer and see what it says. The computer said the gas cap was loose. We tightened the gas cap. Computer said needed a temperature coolant sensor. Ordered the part, took 3 wks to come in. Put part on, still didn't fix the problem. Took it back the next day, the guy cleaned out the throttle bottle. Still didn't fix the problem. It costs me $70 so far.

Took car to another place and got a mechanic that used to work for Daewoo working on it. Did a diagnostic and said it was showing EGR Valve was messed up. They drove my car for two days and they could not get it to act up and do for them what it's been doing for me. Said they couldn't check the EGR Valve to see if it was defective unless the car was messing up. He didn't want to replace the EGR Valve since it costs $225 in case that's not what's wrong w/it.

My husband told him to change the spark plug wires, he did. Also, the mechanic cleaned some valve behind the throttle that needs to get cleaned along w/the throttle bottle which Express Oil didn't clean. Cost me $159.

Took my car home, runs great, but two days later....starts the same thing again. Called the mechanic this a.m., said they can't do anything until the car will do for them what it does with me. Said the EGR Valve will eventually go out and the car will run worse. Only way to know if it's the EGR Valve is to let the car get to the point that it runs bad all the time, not just sometimes. Help...anyone heard of this or had this happen to their car? My car's been great thus far.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Correction: husband told him to change spark plugs...not spark plugs "wires"...sorry.
  • shak01shak01 Member Posts: 5
    Timing Belt...Timing Belt...Timing Belt...Do not Delay....Buy Today!!! Otherwise Darn good Engine...same as Isuzu/GM X22SE
    When the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the mark on the rear cover (6 o'clock position) and the number one cylinder is at top dead center, and the cams are aligned with their respective marks...how do you know whether the number one cylinder is at TDC on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke?
    Hi...read your posts on the Edmunds site...my timing belt broke at 85,000...got the head off...4 bent intake valves on cylinder #1 and #3. Looking for valves, head gasket SET w/valve seals, water pump, tensioner, roller guides, etc. As you've said, everything matches up with Isuzu X22SED 2.2L. Have you been able to cross reference part numbers to GM/AC delco numbers? Where is best deal on parts? Thanks Kevin
    Hey Kevin,

Woowoes is me too...I bought a complete cylinder head with new valves, etc. ready to bolt on for $400. All the parts you need are available on Ebay with the best prices. You may be able to get parts at a dealer if you want to wait the same amount of time and pay a lot more money. Just go to Ebay motors--parts, and type in what you need. You can get whole gasket sets and timing belt kits. If you can't find something with Daewoo try entering it as an Isuzu part. The firing order from the coil is different from Isuzu though. On the Daewoo it's 1-4-2-3 (1 being the end closest to the fire wall) I just received an alternator I found on Ebay from a guy in NC. It looks like you know what parts to replace. You're gonna have half the engine compartment dissasembled, so replace everything while you're in there. If you don't have one, get an Isuzu Rodeo Haynes manual that covers '89 thru '02. It will have all the torque specs and helps with lining up all the timing marks.

--Jim in Massachusetts
    It sounds like your problem is the EGR valve. It stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It's for emissions and opens and closes depending on what the computer tells it and reburns harmful gasses. Because it is directly linked to the exhuast system it can get clogged with carbon deposits. I have taken mine off a few times, cleaned it with carborator cleaner, and had no problems. I have the same car, the EGR valve is very easy to take off. It's a cylinder on the right/top side of the engine, next to the coil (the box with spark plug wires coming out of it). Just remove the two bolts holding it on and unplug the wire bundle from the top. Take it, and move the plunger in and out and spray carb cleaner into it to clean it out. All you'll need to buy is a new EGR valve gasket for when you bolt it back on. Get one from an Isuzu dealer for a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo (same engine). The whole procedure will cost you about $5.00.

I want all to know also... A daewoo is no diferent from any other car. Tell your mechanic -- A CAR IS A CAR IS CAR. The only difference is, it may be a little time delay for parts.
    It sounds like your problem is the EGR valve. It stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It's for emissions and opens and closes depending on what the computer tells it and reburns harmful gasses. Because it is directly linked to the exhuast system it can get clogged with carbon deposits. I have taken mine off a few times, cleaned it with carborator cleaner, and had no problems. I have the same car, the EGR valve is very easy to take off. It's a cylinder on the right/top side of the engine, next to the coil (the box with spark plug wires coming out of it). Just remove the two bolts holding it on and unplug the wire bundle from the top. Take it, and move the plunger in and out and spray carb cleaner into it to clean it out. All you'll need to buy is a new EGR valve gasket for when you bolt it back on. Get one from an Isuzu dealer for a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo (same engine). The whole procedure will cost you about $5.00.

I want all to know also... A daewoo is no diferent from any other car. Tell your mechanic -- A CAR IS A CAR IS CAR. The only difference is, it may be a little time delay for parts.

You need a compression gauge in the number one cylinder spark plug hole to be positive. Turn the crankshaft clockwise until you see compression buiding up on the gauge - you are on the compression stroke for that cylinder. If you did not see compression build up, continue with one more complete revolution to achieve TDC for the number one cylinder.
    Thank you so much for your help. I will print this out and give it to my husband. He will be able to do this for me.

Thank you again!
    You are very welcome. I'm glad to help. Without this forum my car would be dead and I'd be out a few thousand dollars+. We have to stick together...Daewoo :lemon: took the money and ran. I've done way more repairs than a person should for such a fairly new car, and I hate when mechanics try to take advantage. A daewoo is a car, a flimsy car, but a car. They are essentially all the same. Good luck.

I'm sorry everyone for the multiple posts. My computer was hung up, I got impatient and hit send a few times.

--Jim in Massachusetts
  • aroyaroy Member Posts: 1
    I had to change my battery and when I turned my car on after doing so the radio would not work without a code.
    I am the second owner on my car(1999 Daewoo Leganza)
    and I dont have the code. The delearship is no longer around and I am unsure of where I can find the code. If anyone has any information that may help me I would appreciate it.
    One more question....I've read all the posts on this forum and it seems like I read somewhere that it's a good idea to replace the water pump when you have the timing belt replaced. I had my timing belt replaced at 60,000 miles but haven't replaced the water pump. Did I get it confused with one of the other Daewood autos or is this true? I now have 91,000 miles on my 2001 Daewoo Leganza and am having no troubles with the water pump.

Thank you.
    Barbara in Alabama :shades:
    It is recomended that you replace the water pump when the timing belt is replaced, the timing belt runs the water pump and it is very easy to change while the engine is exposed during the timing belt replacement procedure. You probably won't have a problem with yours, just make sure you have it changed the next time you have the timing belt replaced.
    Thank you!
    Water pumps, when the cooling system get a bi-annual fluid change, generally last 120K-140K miles before the failure rate starts to go up.

As long as the timing belt tensioner was replaced with the timing belt (as it should have been) and the weep hole on the water pump does not show any fluid seepage and it turns freely and cleanly and the cooling system was peroply flushed and filled every couple of years, there is no imperative reason to replace it on the first timing belt change.
  • 2000nubira2000nubira Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2000 Nubira CDX. I visualized the following problems.

1. AC can be switched on but no air coming out from the vent. Is it the fan problem or the ac problem?

2. Oil outside the gasket. How to fix that?

3. One passenger window is not working and a side mirror can't be controlled by the operator inside the car.

Thank you.
  • tmcdonaldtmcdonald Member Posts: 3
    I have a check engine light that was triggered by two identical p0046? codes. The dealership says my evaporation canister and evap valve need to be replaced. I have found new parts for as cheap as $130 and used for $38.00. I understand the cansiter is located near the rear under the car. Does anyone know if this is an easy proceedure that a mechanically inclined guy could perform in a couple hours? I dont have a manual so i am looking for tips or steps to follow.
  • jjdb29jjdb29 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I've been studying these boards for about a week. What a a Suprise to find out that so many people have timing belt problems besides me.

Does anyone have the timing settings for my 2000 Daewoo Nubira. I bought it used & I just ordered the belt, etc. but we don't have the settings to put it back on. If not does anyone know of any resource online that I could get them from?

Thanks so much. I've learned so much from these boards aren't they great?

Jeanne
    alldatadiy is one such online subscription service manual source and they have many of the actual factory diagrams and picture for the important stuff, like timing marks, etc.

Another option is to order the actual factory service manuals, but it will cost more.
  • donnie2donnie2 Member Posts: 2
  • donnie2donnie2 Member Posts: 2
    hi ? can any one help me out on my 2000 daewoo leganza i had to put a new engine in and now the transaxle wont shift in to gear it will shift but wont move
  • aussie_paulaussie_paul Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. My wifes Lanos keeps blowing fuse number 5 ( I thi9nk it is number 5). This fuse does not allow the car to turn over when the key is turned to start. This is an intermittant problem and is very frustrating.

Aussie Paul
    1) Ur AC problem is most likely that the system needs to be recharged...keep in mind thet Daewoo used the cheapest parts possible so it will probably be a temporary fix unless you find out where it leaks from.

2) Oil outside the gasket...tighten bolts a little, if this doesn't work -- replace the gasket. You may want to replace the gasket anyway.

3) I'll bet the wiring to that door has come disconected somewhere. Pull the door panel off and look. Check switch connections.

Take your time and look it over.
  • morginazmorginaz Member Posts: 2
    You can go the reference section of most libraries, or try the following website for a timing belt change:

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2746

Good luck!
  • wjensenwjensen Member Posts: 2
    My daughter lost her timing belt at 35,000 miles on her 2000 Daewoo lanos
  • wjensenwjensen Member Posts: 2
    Okay -I pulled the plugged wires on my daughters car and forgot to mark them! Where is the #1 cylinder??? What is the firing order? Is it 1234 or 1342? I am just kicking myself here! HELP!!!!I usually don't mark them because the book tells me- guess what it did not tell me!! :surprise:
    I don't know what to say...It's not 1-2-3-4...