Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• carolm2carolm2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply we also thought it maybe water in fuel or tank my son in law is going to have a go at clearing it for me
    Thanks again
  • dper299dper299 Member Posts: 19
    My Leganza has a automatic trans 50-40LE model.Ok I drained the trans by removing the plug and draining out tranny fluid,Now I have refilled it with Penzoil atf dexIII fluid.My problem still is that when it is cold it will not down shift when I reach 60 mph and about 4000 rpm.I have seen there might be a filter that also needs to be replaced? could anybody tell me where this filter might be?Also the book says 7-8 qts fluid but when i drained it only about 4 qts came out..Any ideas,or tips will help..Thank you
  • zman15zman15 Member Posts: 1
    On ebay i see once in awhile a repair manual on a cd you have to buy there.
  • nugienugie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Daewoo Nubira it has about 60,000 miles. 5 months ago it had a leak from the hose that goes to the radiator and cools the transmition oil... I had change that hose and replace the oil with penz oil mercom III and it was running good, but now My car pulls to one side (passenger) when it changes from 1st to 2nd gear about 45 m/h do You think my car needs a new transmition filter??? or this could be something else? any comment will help. Thanks. Nugie :confuse:
  • gray88oldsgray88olds Member Posts: 4
    Problem: Heat not working at adequate level. Radiotor fan's not turning on when at operating temperature. Engine code P0128.

What I've done: Replaced the thermostat.
    General Info: My car gets to and stays at normal operating temperature in the usual fashion. Once there, the air coming in through the heater is warm enough to get the interior of the car to a near reasonable temperature. When evaluating the cooling system, I notice the upper hose from the thermostat/block to the radiator still isn't heating up, not does it feel like there is fluid in it. The coolant in the reservoir get fairly warm (over 100degrees F). The fans on the radiator never engage and I noticed they didn't this summer either. There is definitely not any obstruction in the lines (when I squeeze the upper or lower hose or hose, the coolant in the reservoir moves up and down).

I don't know whether to consider this a water pump issue, a ECT sensor issue or something else.

Anybody have any thoughts?? Many thanks.
  • raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    I had that same error code on my 2000 daewoo lanos and the heat never really got hot inside the car. It did turn out to be the thermostat, are you sure you installed the right one? The one I purchased was already in the plastic housing. I think mine was not fully closing so the water never remained long enough inside the motor to get real hot.
  • dannytregan56dannytregan56 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My Daewoo Leganza inside dome and map lights will not come on, also my trunk light does not work. Anyone know why?
    With the car now (Leganza), the Engine Light turned itself off (I'm assuming the thermostat was the problem). However, the fluid doesn't seem to be circulating at all. The car heats up, the car gets 'warm' but the fluid level in my reservoir doesn't move no matter how long the engine runs or how hot it gets. I'm thinking the heat is just being conducted through the system and at no point is there an active circulation-- this isn't normal right? If the heat is on, the fluid should circulate right?
  • leo6018leo6018 Member Posts: 1
    I recently have had the same problem and have now replaced the timing belt and replaced a bent valve. Now that all of that is done the only problem remaining is that the car wants to stall out when it is idiling. Can anyone suggest something that I might need to check????? runs great out on the road just not good sitting stil.
  • morginazmorginaz Member Posts: 2
    I recently replaced the timing belt on a 2002 Daewoo Lanos and it too runs great on the road but the idle is rough. In addition the check engine light came on and stays on. Any ideas?

I could not get the water pump off, and one of the bolts for the tensioner was behind the valve sprocket. Totally inaccessible. Changing all those components seems impossible without pulling the engine from the car.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    I assume you mean it does not upshift to 4th gear when it is cold. This is a feature of this Aisin/Warner transmission. It is hooked to the temperature sensor. Until the temperature reaches above the cold mark by about have the first marker the transmission will not upshift. This is so it helps the car warm up quicker. I am not sure if this feature can be disabled.
    The pulling to the side is because of worn out lower control arm bushings. You have 2 options, either replace the control arms with new ones, or replace the bushings. replacing the bushings is less expensive but more labor.
    Hesitation in idle is because of one of these factors or a combination
    1. Dirty fuel injectors. run a professional cleaning, not those cheap fuel additives.
    2. Clean the throttle body, it gets really dirty and needs cleanig, basically it stops letting in enough air at idle, until you open it properly by pressing the gas.
    You can use a rag with some wd40 or some throttle body cleaner fluid and wipe the gunk away.
  • dpenningtondpennington Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Leganza that idles fine for 5 - 10 minutes then the oil light comes on and the valves chatter. If I shut it off for 5 - 10 minutes then restart it and let it idle, it repeats itself. It runs fine for 5 - 10 minutes then the oil light comes on and the valves start chattering.

Oil pump or pressure valve or blockage? Where is the oil pump and where can I get one?

Thanks in advance.
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    i'm looking around dor an inexpensive vehicle for my mother and have come across a 2002 daewoo lanos s 4dr with less than 43,000 miles. a dealer is selling it for $1947. pretty good price but my concern is that are these good cars? looking through this forum it appears a lot of people's timing belts break. my mom nor i are mechanically inclined and i know that this price is a steal however a car that does not run is of no benefit. any ideas or opinions? thank you.
  • vintage40vintage40 Member Posts: 4
    My daewoo will not shift in drive. It seems to be stuck in a higher gear. It is hard to leave from a stop without stalling. Does anyone know a fix for this shift problem? What engine and transmission does this car have?
  • dpenningtondpennington Member Posts: 2
    my 2001 leganza has a button on the console that locks the trans in that gear. This button prevents the trans from shifting out of the gear it was in when the button was pushed. Can you shift the trans manualy?
    No the lever is in the selected gear but electronically it does not shift up thru the gears from a stop and seems to be in freewheel at times. It is also hard to accelerate from a stop without stalling.
    Has anyone had luck with replacement ECU units from wrecking yards?
  • billy62billy62 Member Posts: 3
    Not on a Daewoo, but I bought one for a Kia Sportage for $75.00 with a 90 day warranty. It worked perfect and still worked when we sold the car 2 years later.
  • slyguy7447slyguy7447 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this isn't really a maintenance question but i didn't really know where else to post it. Anyway, does anyone know how to swap the gear stick knob with a different type? It's a 5 speed manual transmission, and has the sleeve on the stick you pull up to put it in reverse. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
  • jeffisujeffisu Member Posts: 7
    1. Suspension - hear a loud creaking/goaning from both front and rear when going over a large object (i.e speed bump), but from normal bumps in the road it's fine. Had all 4 struts replaced last year, and front strut mounts, no fix. Now repair shop says front strut mounts are bad (probably entire assembly), wanting ~$500 parts and labor, said nothing about rear mounts. Any advice (other parts that could cause this)?

2. Starting - sometimes when I turn the key, it won't crank, just sits there with a (soft) high-pitched whine. Can re-try a time or two and it cranks up fine. Dealer checked out starter and battery cables, all secure, battery was new a couple years ago, had checked at Sears, still good. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
  • wingfieldwingfield Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone, We have had our Leganza for a year with no problems but recently the engine has been over revving, it started off at between 1500 and 2000 this happens when the car is moving or stood but in the last week its getting worse and is now revving between 2000 and 3000 revs, the car is running alright apart from this, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards Wingfield
  • smarttech15smarttech15 Member Posts: 1
    Its probably most likey the air idle control motor or possibly a bad intake gasket. Those are the two things I would recommend taking a look at. Let me know if your unsucessful and I'll tell you where to look next. Hope this was helpful.
  • wingfieldwingfield Member Posts: 2
    Thanks will try them
  • ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    I have a 99 daewoo leganza and when coming to a stop at a light or just to a stop the car seems like it is going to shut off. Sometimes when I get gas and I turn the car on after fill up and drive away it is fine but when i come to a stop it seems to want to clunk out. It has not shut off on me yet but it seems to get worse. It is like it tries to clunk out. Any suggestions
  • bethany2bethany2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my daughters car has the same problem. Did the idle motor take care of the problem? Thanks
  • bethany2bethany2 Member Posts: 2
  • sydneyzsydneyz Member Posts: 1
    audi a4 1.8 avante 1998 s/w starts ,runs but wontidle.checked fuse box its ok.
    200 Daewoo Leganza 4Door.

Problem: With the headlights on all lights are functional EXCEPT the Right Rear driver's-side lights.
    With the brake pressed, the right side will light up (the appropriate lights). Where might this problem be? I don't have a multi-meter available to check all the light sockets with the headlights turned on, but I know the lights themselves work and have power since they light up with the brakes applied....
    Any thoughts?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Possibly the bulbs put in backward?

-mike
  • rmd140rmd140 Member Posts: 1
    Recently, I had to replace a timing belt on a 2000 Lanos (1.6L), along with 8 exhaust valves and lifters, and a timing belt tensioner. First I replaced the timing belt. When I tried to start the engine, I had spark and gas, but no compression which led me to replacing the valves (and company). In order to removed the head to work on the valves, I had to disconnected the fuel line. Now, valves are replaced, head reassembled to motor, everything is where it's supposed to be. I've got good compression but no fuel. Is there a "fuel cutoff" switch that I'm not aware of??? If so, does anybody have an idea where it might be?? Any and all suggestions are welcome.
    I have a 1999 daewoo Leganza. My coolant temperature gauge has stoped working. I thought it might be the Coolant Temperature Sensor and it was not. I replaced sensor and still not working. Any suggestions are welcome.
    If the brake light bulb is a dual filament bulb like most are it also contains the filament for the parking light. this filament may be bad, I would replace the bulb or bulbs in that rear tail light assembly.
  • ewebster1ewebster1 Member Posts: 37
    i have had the tail light replaced several times in the 2001 daewoo nubria,my car was totaled by a hailstorm
    1999 Daewoo Leganza --

My powersteering is leaking and I can not find out where it is coming out of. I am noticing fluid leaking out of the driverside closer to radiator. It is all under the radiator and I do not see any hoses that are leaking. Any ideas or does anyone have a Powersteering diagram for the Daewoo Leganza
    Does Anyone have the Power Steering diagram for 1999 Daewoo Leganza?
  • jbobjbob Member Posts: 1
    OK, I own a 1999 Leganza and the battery died. It was at night. I went to get a jump and the jumpeer cables were hooked up backwards for a minute or so. After correctly connecting them the car started. I continue to have a failing battery. I had battery tested, its OK. I replaced alternator. Still not charging. Tested voltage at battery and got 17 volt reading,then nothing but battery charge 12v.Battery light stays on continuously. Car starts and everything else electrical seems OK. Replaced ECM. Still not charging. What could possibly be the problem I am missing? Thanks for any suggestions.
    How is the car starting if the battery isn't charging? Have the alternator tested, It's either putting out about 14.5 volts when the motors running or its not, there is usually one large positve connection on the alternator that can be checked for this voltage. My guess is something happened to the alternator. you never want to connect a dead battery to a new alternator, you could damage the alternator.
  • treglassmantreglassman Member Posts: 1
    My daughter bought a 1999 daewoo nubira 2.0 on ebay. After a few weeks of driving it the car started to act up. I noticed some brown milky stuff in the overflow reservoir and thought it was rust, so I did a radiator flush. Come to find out this milky stuff was block sealer. Now that I washed out all the sealer I ended up with water in my exhaust and oil. Major problem.
    Head gasket?? Cracked head??
    After I removed the head it had bad pits between the water ports and it had to be welded and re surfaced. Only $194.00.
    Bought new gaskets, head bolts and timing belt on ebay for great price. Today I started putting it back together.
    The machine shop gave me a torque spec sheet. It said cylinder head torque 18ft/lbs +90 degree, +90 degree, +90 degree. Here is my Question, What does 90 degree three times mean???
    I saw on line some where the torque should be 65 ft/lbs.
    I need some help.
    Thank you!!
  • shak01shak01 Member Posts: 5
    The head bolts are "Torque to Yield" or TTY bolts. Like a standard head bolt, a TTY bolt will stretch and spring back up to its yield point. But once the yield point is passed, the bolt becomes permanently stretched and does not return to its original length. Because of this, TTY bolts should not be reused. The torque procedure for tightening a TTY head bolt involves tightening it until a certain torque reading is reached. Then the bolt is given an additional turn to a specified angle (say an additional 45 to 90 degrees) to load the bolt beyond its yield point for maximum clamping pressure. There is a tool called a "Torque-To-Angle Indicator" gauge and is used with a torque wrench to achieve proper bolt loading.
  • randy26randy26 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with My Daewoo Nubria as in the message posted #123 . It wants to pull to the left when you give it gas. When you let off the gas it will pull back to the right. I need to know where I can purchase the lower bushings for the torque steering. I will have to do the repair. I will take the car to get a 4 wheel alignment once I replace the bushings. Just help me find a place to buy the lower bushings for the torque steering..
    I replaced the hoses yesterday that go to Transmission from Radiator and I have noticed the car now has a slugish start from stop. The car idles lower. Seems like power loss. Any ideas why?
  • hrtdochrtdoc Member Posts: 4
    What all should be changed with the timing belt? The water pump and anything else?
  • randy26randy26 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know where I can get a the lower control arm assembly or just the bushings for a 2001 Nudria. Is it hard to install and what do I have to do? Please help
  • rosey0216rosey0216 Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have a coolent leak, which is causing overheating unless I keep adding coolent. I bought a bottle of that radiator sealent, but can not find the radiator cap to put it in. Is this because its a seeled system? What can I do to solve this problem without spending tons of cash at the mechanics? Thanks
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    If you use that radiator sealent in it, you definitely will be spending tons of cash either at the mechanic or to replace the car.

No two ways around it, your cooling system needs a pressure check with the correct equipment. Most independent shops are very reasonable to diagnose the problem.

Aside from you actually carefully inspecting your hoses and finding the leak, you are out of luck without the proper tools.
  • hrtdochrtdoc Member Posts: 4
    There should be a plastic resivor with a tube running to the radiator to add coolant. I think you water pump is going out. It's internal so you may need mechanics and also change the timing belt.
  • theonlypopetheonlypope Member Posts: 1
    I have just spent a lovely day driving with my family when I noticed the temperature gauge up high and a little yellow light on in my dash. On opening the hood I saw a tiny amount of water coming out from where the radiator hose enters the main body of the engine. I know the hundreds of thoughts that it could have been, but I called my local RAC ma. My RAC Roadside Assistant said it could have been a worn (pressure) 'O'ring or a carroded coupling. I'll find out tomorrow & post what it was. Sometimes things that seem major are only little things!!!
    1999 Daewoo Leganza. I am trying to get a diagram or something of all the vacuum hoses under the hood. Especially for Fuel Pressure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had no luck with anyone helping me out in this forum.