Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• antalantal Member Posts: 1
    i would like to know if you guys know where the ECM computer is??? The thing is that at times, idle speed passes from 800 rpm to 1500rpm without any reason, and the computer doesnt show any code. I changed the Idle Air Control Valve but it didn't solve the problem. If you guys know what this problem is about, please answer because i dont know what to do anymore! Thanks.
  • brettski1brettski1 Member Posts: 12
    I replaced the timing belt on my '00 Leganza at 65K. I installed a Goodyear timing belt. Based on peripheral guidance, I also replaced the water pump and belt tensioner. I inspected the idlers and they were fine at that time; did not replace. Now, I am approaching 130K. Do I need to consider another replacement? Perhaps a better question is whether the hoopla over the factory Daewoo timing belts was related to a failure-prone belt or was it more related to the engineering that would ruin any belt, regardless of brand and quality...?
  • gray88oldsgray88olds Member Posts: 4
    Quick and Dirty: My battery and brake lights are dimly lit with the car running. My battery crapped out today, I was able to jump it and get about 4-5 miles. Replaced the battery and the lights are still on.

Long Story: 3 days ago I 'fixed' my tail light problem. The driver's side tail-light would stay on with the headlights on-- basically the wire that ran near the fuse box along the trim broke, I rigged it with a thicker gauge wire.-- I don't know if this cause have jacked up my electrical system!
    After I 'fixed' the wire, the next time I started my car the lights came on as described above and my radio had reset to (like I disconnected the battery or unplugged the radio all together). Today, the battery died in traffic (after a really weak start and the car slowly powering down)... the air bag light came on and the other two lights went off.
    I was able to jump the car and get it 4-5 miles-- at this point, out of fear the wiring was the cause-- I re-disconnected the wiring I fixed-- with no change/improvement.
    I took my battery back to AutoZone and had it checked, got a 'Bad Battery' from the machine. I put a new battery in this afternoon and the car is running fine (for now) but the two lights are still on as described above...

ANY IDEAS??? Did I fry something or did my alternator go at the exact time I 'fixed' my tail light wiring problem.

Other stuff: I already checked my radio-- no loose wires or improper connections. I don't know if there are any fuses I should check in the car??!?

Thanks!
  • paulwilson99paulwilson99 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem I can tap the control panel and the air will work for a short time. I think it's the substandard wiring the gauge wire used is much smaller than US cars also the connections are not solidered just pushed on. I have already rewired the electric windows as the wiring was faulty. Also if you have a rough running Daewoo with about 100,000 miles like mine replace the spark plug wires you will be amazed at the difference.
  • daewornoutdaewornout Member Posts: 4
    You have done well on the original idler pulleys. What did the factory belt look like at 65k? How's the rest of the car? I might just inspect everything and replace only obvious problems.
  • storrsstorrs Member Posts: 5
    I had to replace my radio but need the codes to make the used radio that I bought work.
    Thank You.
  • bruce37bruce37 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sherry,

I want to thank you again for your posting and phone help, we found the problem and it was
    a problem mentioned on the Daewoo message board a long time ago, but no info on exactly
    where to find the infamous broken orange wire that kills the gas and ignition.

Well we found it near the computer under the rug where it went to a termination block, it was
    corroded and broken from water that leaked into the car from the air conditioning unit and
    saturated the rug, we re-connected it and the car started right up after being dead for almost a year.

I will post this on the board soon.

All the best,

Bruce
  • bruce37bruce37 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sherry,

I want to thank you again for your posting and phone help, we found the problem and it was
    a problem mentioned on the Daewoo message board a long time ago, but no info on exactly
    where to find the infamous broken orange wire that kills the gas and ignition.

Well we found it near the computer under the rug where it went to a termination block, it was
    corroded and broken from water that leaked into the car from the air conditioning unit and
    saturated the rug, we re-connected it and the car started right up after being dead for almost a year.

I will post this on the board soon.

All the best,

Bruce
  • rumsey69rumsey69 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE 2001 LEGANZA RUNS GREAT MOST OF THE TIME HAS BEEN IN SHOP FOR A MONTH NOW BECAUSE THEY CANT FIND PARTS. THEY SUGGESTED ASAP I SHOULD TRADE IN BECAUSE PARTS AND SERVICE ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.
  • guzzibabe750guzzibabe750 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone help me alot of problems with the wireing it burnt out the fuses the other day and we need to take off the dashboard but cant find out how it comes off?
  • brettski1brettski1 Member Posts: 12
    Daewornout...thanks for the reply.
    The original belt looked fine at 65k. I couldn't find any reason to be concerned. The obvious problem with inspecting and replacing as needed is availability of parts and the down-time related to waiting for them. I am leaning toward a total replace, including the idlers, simply because I want to squeeze another couple of years out of the vehicle. The rest of the car is strong. The only other issues will be the struts, both front and back.
  • dxpacdxpac Member Posts: 1
    My Nubira easily shut down at a low speed or when I move forward from stop situation. Then I have to let it rest for a while; it can be started again, but may be shut down again soon. pls help answer! do you think it's crank position sensor problem?
  • bullethead1bullethead1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Thank you I have put in all of the code none of them work my 10# are 0012094817 Please send code Thanks
  • bullethead1bullethead1 Member Posts: 2
    PUT IN ALL CODES NONE OF THEM WORK HERE IS MY # OFF OF RADIO 00120948 17 PLEASE SEND A CODE THANKS
  • tanna1tanna1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, If the timimg belt should break will the car start? My daughter was driving down the freeway and the car died. lights and all work however, when I turn the key on it sounds like the starter will not ingage. it hums but wont start. could this be the belt problem or something else??
  • sherry123sherry123 Member Posts: 15
    uh oh. I pray it is NOT your timing belt. I changed mine as a maintenence issue. It must be changed every 5 years of 50k which ever comes first.
    The reason this is so critical is when the timing belt comes off it has a tendency to do MAJOR engine damage. I believe it takes off the heads.
    That said, I would have a trusted mechanic to check it out for sure
    I don't know what kind of parts you need, but I have had no problems even getting body parts when a neighbor took out the whole side of it when she was parking hers.
    I have replaced the a/c (a common problem unfortunately) and I purchased a timing belt kit, water filter, time chain etc.
    Go to the Daewoo website, also any dealer that previously sold Daewoos would have access to Daewoo parts.
    I apologize for not seeing your message sooner. If you haven't found the parts yet, please email me and I can get the the name and numbers for dealers.
    I hope its not the timing belt. There was no noise like a pop clank or anything it just died. Im wondering if its some kind of electrical because i would think it would at least try to turn over. But I have no idea, these seem to be complicated cars. I opened the hood,looked and walked away. She should buy a jeep. We have a guy here in mesa arizona that has lots of these cars and he knows the ins and outs so parts are available. Im just Leary cause although he is certified for these cars he works at home and I quess its a trust issue for me.
  • ewebster1ewebster1 Member Posts: 37
    it is hard to find parts for these cars and for people to work on them. my daughter still has her 2001 nubria and we have had the battery replaced 3 times and the compressor replaced,had the wiring redone we have also had other things done to the car and my advise to all daewoo owners is to trade them in if at all possible. now her check engine lights come on regularly and her speedomtor is going crazy at times,we have had the diagnostics check done to see what it could be but nothing showed up.
    i have advised my daughter to trade hers in as well and to buy an american made car if there is such a thing
    I have been fortunate apparently since I have owned my 2001 Nubira since new. I did replace the compressor and the timing kit as a maintence requirement. Past that, its been fine.
    The new Chevy Aveo is made by Daewoo that has the Chevy name on it.
    Buying American won't necessarily get you American.
    Again, check with any former Daewoo dealers and they can get you the parts. If a mechanic can work on GM cars, they can work on a Daewoo since Daewoo America was a joint venture with GM.
    Hope it helps
    i own a chevy aveo and if i had known that at the time of purchase i would not have bought that car, as for yours you are very fortunate to not have had any more problems with your car then you have.am glad for you but with this car my daughter has it has been nothing but problems as well as getting it worked on, the former daewoo dealer in my town has not been any help with the mechanics of the daewoo when it comes to repairs on the daewoo nor with the parts, our mechanic has told us he would not work on that car. nothing has been simple with this daewoo, my daughter bought her car new as well it had 128 miles on it at the time she took ownership it had not been owned by anyone but us, we knew nothing of the manufactures intention of going out of business at the time of purchase.
  • daisy07daisy07 Member Posts: 1
    My engine light is on all the time. There is no camshaft sensor, and the gas cap seems fine. Help!
    i would love to know the answer to this as well i own a daewoo nubria and the check engine light comes off and on all the time, mechanics runs the diagonostic test on it and it does not show up anything. any ideas ?
  • paulwilson99paulwilson99 Member Posts: 2
    All I know is the light has been on in my Daewoo since day one it comes and goes I replaced the oxygen sensors both of them still no luck. But at 109000 miles I just dont worry about it any more.
  • raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    Sure sounds like the timing belt. been there, done that. Went to start mine up one day, did not hear anything strange. it just sounded like the starter was spining free perhaps, yeah the whole engine was spinning free, no compression because every valve was bent. I've since rebuilt it, found everything I needed on ebay (about $300), it still runs good today over a year later.
    Yep!! Thats what it was on ours. It needs a rebiuld job. All valves bent. 1600.00. Im not sure what to do as far as fixing it. the car itself is very ice so im trying to figure out if i want to fix it. Lots cheaper to rebiuld than buying a new one. Stinks for sure!!
    well my daughter finally traded in her daewoo nubria and i am so glad. she was not allowed but $800 for it on tradein but it had been totaled by a hailstorm back in early summer.was suprised she got that as a tradein but we were honest with the auto dealer about it being totaled and he knew of course about the problem with the daewoo parts as well as finding someone to work on them so we are no longer a daewoo owner
    i would suggest the same thing we went thru the same problem with parts as well as someone to work on it.was so glad when my daughter traded hers in she worked 2nd shift and had to go thru a rough part of town to get home at night and i worried so about the car breaking down while she was driving home she got a 2006 chevy cobalt and i feel so much better about her being in that car, at least they can find parts for this car when something breaks on it. we had so much trouble with it.the car had been totaled because of a hailstorm so that placed her in a postion for the car to be paid for so she found a good price on thsi car so we kissed the daewoo goodby and said THANK YOU GOD.
    you know it is so sad that we as daewoo owners have had so much trouble with the cars we had to have a forunm like this to discuss probelms and to let others know how and where to find parts and what to do to fix problems.
    when the daewoo nubria was running it was running good but when we had a problem it was a major problem nothing was ever simple even a brake light being out was a major production the wiring had to be totally replaced instead of a replaced of the light bulb.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    I recently sold my 2000 Leganza CDX.In 60,000 miles I had no real problems,except for an incompetent dealership.I was able to get all the necessary maintenance parts on EBAY ie timing belt,tensioners,etc at a very reasonable price.Brakes,oil filters,plugs and wires are available at any parts store.Repair labor charges were also reasonable-$170 for timing belt and serpentine belt installation.In all it was a good car.If I needed a small inexpensive car I would buy a used one in a minute-providing the timing belt was changed on time-40-50,000 miles.
  • gsoulbirdgsoulbird Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2000 daewoo leganza cdx with a antifreeze leak. It appears that after I changed the 3 hoses (surge tank, heater core fwd and return) that the leak is coming from a crack in in a plastic valve or fitting where the 3 hoses connect at the top of the engine.What is this piece? For now I'm going to try to seal it with black gasket seal so I can get to the mechanic. I went to the Daewoo site and couple of others and can't identify this part. I hope it's not expensive...
  • nfaulknernfaulkner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much higiene! I have a 2001 Daewoo Leganza and that code worked for me too after the battery went dead. I tried all kinds of codes and couldn't get it to work until I read your post to try 2152 and it worked!

Thanks again!
  • nfaulknernfaulkner Member Posts: 2
    try 2152, it worked for me.
    The engine in the Leganza(2.2 Holden engine)is the same as the Isuzu 2.2-part should be available at any Isuzu dealership.Another way to get parts is to post it on the I want it now section on ebay.Lots of parts are out there thanks to people not changing their timing belts.If you are planning on keeping the car a good investment is the shop manual available at Daewoous.com $39.
  • raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    Its the thermostat housing inside is the thermostat. Somewhat of a common failure item. I had to replace mine as well for a small leak. Found the new replacement on ebay for about $30.00. easy to replace.

Ray.
  • jeffisujeffisu Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone tried to trade in or sell their Daewoo Leganza? I have a 99 Leganza SX with about 67k miles. Wondering what I'd be offered for a trade-in or resale. I know about KBB and their estimates, just would like some real world examples.
  • rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 16
    My headlights quit and I have been having quite a difficult time finding replacements. I found one source that sells a set. However they are listed for model year 2000-2002.

Was there a difference or can I order these?

Thanks.
  • rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 16
    Saw a few going for 1.5-3k depending on condition and options.

I think I picked up mine for 2500...I probably could have bargained down.

Hope this helps.
    I sold my wifes 2000 Leganza CDX for $3500.It had 60000 and all service done-new timing belt,2 new tires,new battery etc.I had no luck in the paper but sold it in 2 days after parking it on a busy corner.Many people have no idea what Daewoos are,but when they see one they like it.I believe I could have gotten a little more $4000-$4200 if I had asked more to begin with.It was snapped up at the $3500 I had on it.The car was in clean not perfect shape.Mechanically excellent.
  • sally9193sally9193 Member Posts: 1
    daewoo nubira 7th month 1997

can anyone please tell me where the oil filler plug is for the manual tranmission?
  • toesidebrucetoesidebruce Member Posts: 3
    Take out the passenger seat, remove the threshhold on the door, pull up the carpeting around the ECM. There are wire harness connections next to the ECM. For some reason the floor board gets wet and these connectors tend to corrode. Check each wire and connection. Pull on them, take the connections apart, butt splice any bad connection. That is where I found the problem. Try to wrap the connectors and isolate them from the wet floor board. I'm still trying to fix the wet floor board problem. If you do not hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on, and if your fuel gauge does not work when this problem occurs, it will be the orange wire on on of those harnesses. Good Luck
    Bruce
    Take out the passenger seat, remove the threshhold on the door, pull up the carpeting around the ECM. There are wire harness connections next to the ECM. For some reason the floor board gets wet and these connectors tend to corrode. Check each wire and connection. Pull on them, take the connections apart, butt splice any bad connection. That is where I found the problem. Try to wrap the connectors and isolate them from the wet floor board. I'm still trying to fix the wet floor board problem. If you do not hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on, and if your fuel gauge does not work when this problem occurs, it will be the orange wire on on of those harnesses. Good Luck
    Bruce
    Bruce
  • pjwjrwpjwjrw Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 2000 Daewoo Lanos that has 65,000 miles on her car. We noticed a leak coming from the valve cover, so I removed the plastic shroud and noticed that I had a bad valve cover bolt that was hidden by the shroud and causing the leak. I was able to remove the valve cove and gasket and I realized 2 other valve cover bolts that were stripped. I ordered 11 new bolts, gasket, washers and nuts to reassemble, but I have one major issue. Can any one tell me the proper torque foot pounds for the the valve bolts that screw into the block and what the valve cover nuts should be torque down to for the valve cover?

Help is greatly appreciated

John
  • davickdavick Member Posts: 1
    I also have the same problem with my Leganza,i cant switch off the security system manually because i lost the remote control.Did you find the solution?
  • tommo998tommo998 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 1999 manual trans Nubira that has serious issues with the hot weather, any help would be appreciated.

On hot days (~30 deg or more) when driving on the highway at high speed, I am able to maintain 3500 revs no problem, however when it comes time to slow down and stop, at ~1000 revs, the engine splutters with and there is little to no response from the accelerator. The engine will almost always eventually stall after this. If I drive for significant amounts of time, the Nubira will begin begin this splutter behaviour at high revs. In this instance, the malfunction indicator lamp on instrument display may come on and off intermittently. The only remedy is to sit on the side of the road until such time that the engine has cooled to a temp that allowa the engine to behave normally again, which can take up to an hour. After cooling down, the car runs fantastically, which makes it difficult to demonstrate this problem to a mechanic.

During this time, the engine temperature gauge is below halfway, telling me that the engine is within normal temp ranges.

The spluttering behaviour suggests to me a fuel system problem at these high temperatures. I have changed the fuel filter and spark plugs and leads with no improvement, and I am thinking that the next step may be a fuel pump replacement. Can anyone suggest any remedies or share some past experience with Daewoo overheating problems? Perhaps it is one component that is notorious for failure at high temperature?

Thanks, Tommo.
  • jac8jac8 Member Posts: 1
    hi, can anyone help me i have a daewoo nubira 1999 wagon, and i have two problems with it .

firstly it is a manual car and it does not want to go into 2nd gear, i can get it in if i push it really hard to the left when coming down from one ,

secondly when the steering wheel is in full lock on the drivers side of the car there is like a knocking whiring sound coming from that side of the car .

hope someone can offer some advice
  • bruwalbruwal Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a wrecked 2000 daewoo lanos. it was wrecked in back end after all repairs were done the airbag light will not go out. any ldeas need light to go out for inspection thanks bruce in pa
  • sweets251sweets251 Member Posts: 1
    Mine just did this also. If anyone has any answers, please help. Thanks in advance.

Stephany
  • elnebulosoelnebuloso Member Posts: 12
    hello first time here i own a lanos and they have theres under passenger seat good luck !!!