Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• marsansinmarsansin Member Posts: 2
    I also have been driving a stick for many years and the clutch went out on my 2003 Tibby V6 after 33000 miles (just under 3 years). I searched the forum (thanks to everyone who put out their messages) and found the info about the TSB that dealt with the clutch. Armed with that, I went to the dealership. First they said it was not covered showing the warantee info. But, after discussing the matter, the dealership decided to replace the clutch UNDER THE TSB at no charge. I'd suggest to anyone still under 36K miles/3 years to try and use the TSB as leverage.
  • c86bubblesc86bubbles Member Posts: 2
    I am wondering if there is problems with the clutches in all the newer models, I have a 2004 Tiburon and it only has about 28,000 miles on it and the clutch is now having to be replaced. there is a year warranty on it and I missed it by 2 weeks. I also have a 2000 Tiburon and haven't had any problems with the clutch, but I do have a problem with the break light always staying on, looks like I am always riding the breaks when I am not. does any one know what could be causing this? we thought it was the thing on the foot peddle but we moved that and found out that wasn't it, Please Help if anyone knows what could be causing this.
    Trish
  • c86bubblesc86bubbles Member Posts: 2
    Marsansin
    I have a 2004 Tibby and it has 28,000 to 29,000 miles on it. also like you when we took the car to the dealership they said the warrantee ran out on it. I was wondering what is the TSB is and how can I get the dealers to replace my clutch under this TSB thing? please reply
  • siinq8siinq8 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same rattle from the trunk of my 2005 Coupe. It almost sounds as if I have a chicken in the trunk, and it's driving me mad!

I assumed it was the spare wheel, tools or jack rattling but even after removing those as well as unscrewing and removing the plastic lining from either side of the spare wheel well the noise remained. I also tried lodging some cloth into the gap between the tailgate and the opening to see if it was that but to now avail.

Before I rip the whole back end to pieces, has anyone had the same problem and managed to solve it yet?
  • siinq8siinq8 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same rattle from the trunk of my 2005 Coupe. It almost sounds as if I have a chicken in the trunk, and it's driving me mad!

I assumed it was the spare wheel, tools or jack rattling but even after removing those as well as unscrewing and removing the plastic lining from either side of the spare wheel well the noise remained. I also tried lodging some cloth into the gap between the tailgate and the opening to see if it was that but to now avail.

Before I rip the whole back end to pieces, has anyone had the same problem and managed to solve it yet?
  • carcrazy11carcrazy11 Member Posts: 7
    I have had a similar problem with my 01 honda prelude back in 2003. I assume those kinds of problems come from the fact that "sporty coupe" has a significantly rigid body. The rigid body tends to transfer more forces caused by "road imperfections" to the "weak components" inside the cabin.

I have some suggestions :

First: if you suspect the rattles are comming from the trunk lid rubber seal, then drive your car with the trunk partially open. In order to check clearly, you have to drive at night in a quiet place. If the rattles disappear, you can adjust the height of "trunk lid rubber fastener(stopper)" in order to secure the closing of the lid.
    It looks like a rubber cylinder with 1/2" dia. Two of them are located in right and left ends of trunk. You may put a thin layer of silicon grease(a few bucks at autozone) around the rubber lid, not the rubber fastener.

Second, if you think the rattle comes from somewhere else, I probably search the sunroof first. This was my case. First, I thought that the rattling sounds came from the rear end. Later I figured out that the sunroof and its operating machanism were the culprits. If you drive hard or drive in a rough road condition, your car will endure a tremendous amount of stress; which leads to deformation of the weakest part of chassis. If you see some uneven gap between the sunroof rubber seals and the roof opening, this is the indication that you need to see the sunroof.

After opening the inner roof penel, you see the power sunroof mechanism. It weights more than 50lbs in my case. In a quiet environment, by twisting each part individually, you can point out the culprit. In my case, the dual steel tubes and its rubber seals(which attach to the drainage) were rubbing each other. The rubber seals were already deformed so that they caused sequeaking sounds whenever I twisted the dual steal tubes.

Finally, the tire pressure is very important. If a tire pressure is set too high, the car body tends to twist more because your tires tend to absorb less road imperfections.
    The best way to measure tire pressure is as follows:
    1. buy a dial tire pressure gauge with pressure release button and a portable tire pump. I bought them for less than 20 bucks at walmart 2 or so years ago.

2. measure tire pressue in the morning before driving.
    inflate or deflate according to the manufacture recommendation. The recommended tire pressure should be re calibrated according to the ambient temperature. If your manufacture recommended tire pressure is 32psi and the ambient temperature is 70 degree, you can put 32psi. If the ambient temp drops down to 60, put 31psi. If 50F, put 30psi. After driving a while, you will see the tire pressure increases by upto 4-5 psi. You can feel the point that the chassis can't deal with too high tire pressure. High tire pressure is good for your mpg but bad for your chassis rigidity.
  • carcrazy11carcrazy11 Member Posts: 7
    I have had a similar problem with my 01 honda prelude back in 2003. I assume those kinds of problems come from the fact that "sporty coupe" has a significantly rigid body. The rigid body tends to transfer more forces caused by "road imperfections" to the "weak components" inside the cabin.

I have some suggestions :

First: if you suspect the rattles are coming from the trunk lid rubber seal, then drive your car with the trunk partially open. In order to check clearly, you have to drive at night in a quiet place. If the rattles disappear, you can adjust the height of "trunk lid rubber fastener(stopper)" in order to secure the closing of the lid.
    It looks like a rubber cylinder with 1/2" dia. Two of them are located in right and left ends of trunk. You may put a thin layer of silicon grease(a few bucks at autozone) around the rubber lid, not the rubber fastener.

Second, if you think the rattle comes from somewhere else, I probably search the sunroof first. This was my case. First, I thought that the rattling sounds came from the rear end. Later I figured out that the sunroof and its operating mechanism were the culprits. If you drive hard or drive in a rough road condition, your car will endure a tremendous amount of stress; which leads to deformation of the weakest part of chassis. If you see small uneven gaps between the sunroof rubber seals and the roof opening, this is the indication that you need to see the sunroof.

After opening the inner roof panel, you see the power sunroof mechanism. It weights more than 50lbs in my case. In a quiet environment, by twisting each part individually, you can point out the culprit. In my case, the dual steel tubes and its rubber seals(which attach to the drainage) were rubbing each other. The rubber seals were already deformed so that they caused squeaking sounds whenever I twisted the dual steal tubes. When you put back the roof panel, be sure to all the spacers and fasteners are located correctly and functioning well.

Finally, the tire pressure is very important. If a tire pressure is set too high, the car body tends to twist more because your tires tend to absorb less road imperfections.
    The best way to measure tire pressure is as follows:

1. buy a dial tire pressure gauge with pressure release button and a portable tire pump. I bought them for less than 20 bucks at walmart 2 or so years ago.

2. measure tire pressure in the morning before driving.
    inflate or deflate according to the manufacture recommendation.
    I do this every two or three weeks. The recommended tire pressure should be re calibrated according to the ambient temperature. If your manufacture recommended tire pressure is 32psi and the ambient temperature is 70 degree, you can put 32psi. If the ambient temp drops down to 60, put 31psi. If 50F, put 30psi. After driving a while, you will see the tire pressure increases by up to 4-5 psi. You can feel the point that the chassis can't deal with too high tire pressure. High tire pressure is good for your mpg but bad for your chassis rigidity. We need some compromise between them.
  • fskibikfskibik Member Posts: 1
    Where should I start ? Date of purchase 9/18/03 New 1st problem door accuator 2nd problem left side window motor replaced 3rd problem battery replaced 4th problem right side window motor replaced 5th problem 17 alloy rims re painted color faded away 6 th problem new purge control valve installed 7th problem alloy rims repainted 8th problem window mirrors repainted because of fading. All of these problems are happening just under 26 months. Now on 2/14/06 and just 23,000 miles I need a new clutch they tell me it's because of abuse and there is no warranty on a cluch unless the flywheel is broken then it's a warranty item. At my local Hyundai Dealer it's going to cost me $2300.00 I like the looks but it's a money pit indeed.
  • dbtibbydbtibby Member Posts: 1
    I just put new headers on my 04 Tiburon and there's not a place for my pre-cat o2 sensor. Going crazy looking for a o2 sim.Any ideas?
  • noelletib06noelletib06 Member Posts: 1
    Take it from me...they have not improved the Tiburon at all. I bought a 2006 Tiburon on Dec. 31 2005. Today is March 17th 2006 and I had to have the car towed to the dealership!!! My car has automatic transmission and it wasn't switching gears correctly. It was basically undrivable and it only has 2,400 miles on it! I am so mad!! I called road side assistance and a tow truck came within an hour but I wasn't offered a ride home or anything. I called the dealership and gave them a peace of my mind. I plan to go in tomorrow morning and demand a new car. If they don't give me one, I plan to yell my story to all their customers in their showroom. Should be interesting.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    That's interesting because I was informed that the tranny was made in Japan. I believe it was made from a branch from Toyota. If anything I would have thought that the tranny would be the most reliable part in the car.

I wonder why they didn't do the whole car in-house?
    Regardless, I hope the dealership takes care of you. If not, then go to a different dealership and give them a piece of your mind.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    you have an automatic transmission! I know, it sounds simplistic, but automatic transmissions can be just plain horrid for reliability. Go with a stick shift and enjoy a different kind of Hyundai Tiburon.

That being a Hyundai Tiburon that you are a more valid part of while driving. You will control the pace of your drive, much more in tune with what you want at all times.

Have them give you a manual transmission Tiburon, OK? You will own and drive the reliable, fun shark-mobile that you always wanted in the first place. :blush:

The Hyundai Tiburon is arguably the best looking sport coupe for sale in the marketplace right now.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• tibtoddtibtodd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tib V6 5speed. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the Digital Temp and A/C control unit. I have the standard dials and want the digital unit. Where and how much?

Thanks,
    Todd
  • jschoafjschoaf Member Posts: 3
    I have researched this to death and its seems they are near identical in everything that matters (Hp,Safety, Features) so I am struggling heavily deciding...

Both are sharp looking, the Tib looks better on the outside but the new Civic interior/dash is top notch.

The Civic gets about 10mpg more.
    The Tib has a kick [non-permissible content removed] warranty.

They are both comforatble, the Tib steering wheel hits my inner right leg where as the Civ's Exmergency brake pokes me in my knee.

I've driven them both, even though the civic seems to have a nudge more get up and go, the Tin handles the road better...

The prices are near identical, after reading these forums it seems like both vehicles have little compaints except "noises" that never can get fixed right...

I would love to get opinions from owners for both camps as I am looking to purchase in the next 2 days (new job, need something very reliable)...

I appreciate your time
  • toni45toni45 Member Posts: 2
    My son has a 2003 Tiburon. He has had problems getting Hyundai to cover certain things because they blamed his driving habits. He emptied out his childhood bank account to buy that car he took good care of it. I feel obligated to warn you, go with the Honda. My son would gladly trade his car for my 1998 accord.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    What certain things are you speaking about here?

Is this a corporate decision to challenge repairing, or do you think it is the local dealership? Did you try another dealer.

I would imagine he pays a lot for insurance. Celicas, Stangs,Civics, Corollas, etc all have high insurance. I am over 50 and still would pay a pretty fair chunk of change for insurance.

Unless a young person has a pretty good income, I would say a Tiburon, or any small sporty car, is going to be a luxury, as in too expensive for the common man.
    -Loren
  • toni45toni45 Member Posts: 2
    My son's clutch was finally fixed free of charge. I told Hyundai that I knew there had been a class action lawsuit filed regarding the clutch on the V-6, he has the V-4 model. He has other things like paint peeling off the cover to his gas cap etc, this was all before 20,000 miles. If a young person thinks a hyundai is a "good buy", I hope they have a mom that's as nasty as I am, they'll need her to get anything covered by the dealer. I have to admit we did go to a new dealership and they were much better. I'm still waiting for hyundai to contact me so I can let them know.
    You found a good dealership now, so your fortunes may change. The clutch problems seem to be a common problem. Normally, a dealer may indeed think that someone just road the clutch too much and burned it out. In this case, if enough people have a complaint, then it is another matter. Hope the other smaller issues get fixed. The Tiburon does not seem to be as trouble free their sedans, but it is by far not the worse for problems. Perhaps all will work out in the long run. The car is a beauty. Hope he enjoys the ride, and keep the people here posted as to the good and bad ahead. Thanks for letting people know. - Loren
    I have a couple of questions for owners of Tibi's. What gas mileage are you getting in real world driving in your V6 or i4 engined cars? And for those with the i4, does the car have enough power? Was considering the automatic this time. Seems easier to get warranty service done if there is a problem compared to trying to convince them I did not burn a clutch. And there are a lot of stop signs and traffic signals around town here, so I may enjoy the rest of not shifting so much.
    -Loren
  • badtibbadtib Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Tib in 02, it is an 03 GT. I have, in the last 9 months, replaced the rear bearings, clutch plate and flywheel, alternator, interior fan switch (3 times), passenger power window motor, and 7 head light bulbs.
    The dealerships are noting but a nuisance.
    Give a good reason I should love Hyundai?
  • mezie27akmezie27ak Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2004 Tiburon and have had the same problem as your son. They apparantly don't cover the cost of changing a clutch and blamed my clutch problems on my driving as well. I could see if I had never driven a clutch before and grinded the gears non-stop, but logistically, I don't. My car has only 19700 miles on it and there is no way that I have wear and tear on my clutch. I was wondering if your son had clutch problems too, and if yes, is he aware of the suit against Hyundai because of it?
    -Mel
  • hammondfrahammondfra Member Posts: 2
    Don't blame Hyundai for your dealerships short comings. Hyundai USA Corporate is a seperate entity of a Hyundai dealership. That would be like saying I won't buy heinze ketchup anymore, because I got a bad bottle of it from store "a", and the store wouldn't do anything for me about it.

There are many folks with tiburons, who have had issues with the dealers not wanting to cover the warrenty because they are, 1 hurting for money or 2. lazy......find you another dealer to have work on your sons car. Both Honda and Hyundai are good cars.....go with what you feel is better suited for you and your lifestyle.
    Here are some recall things items. I think 2005 is kinda worrisome. Looks like overall, from all the data I have seen, the 2003 year had more problems than '04 and '05 years.

Consumer's Guide provided this knowledge:
    NHTSA Recall History
    2002-03: Fuel tank assembly valve may not close properly; in a rollover, fuel spillage may occur.

2002-03: Valve on fuel tank assembly may not close properly; if vehicle rolls over and valve is not closed, fuel spillage may occur.

2005: Threaded portions of steering gearbox inner ball joint assemblies may contain internal cracks; breakage would lead to loss of steering control of one wheel, whose tie rod assembly would no longer be attached.
    ... Well perhaps the loss of steering in 2005 models was a recall problem too --- :surprise: --- I guess all is well by 2006 model year? I really think the car is cool looking and has some good selling points to it. Maybe wait and see if more JD Power info. floats on it, as well as other sources. Maybe more data from Consumer Guide in a few months.
    -Loren
    So, Tiburon is a great deal considering the content of the car vs. the competition, yet sales are not too stellar. I see some around. Is it a lack of advertising?

There is a class action suit in regards to the clutch on the 2003 model GT. While it appears to be a defect, and thus may indeed end up being covered, it is not a normally covered item. Check most any brand of car for clutch pads and they are not included, due to it being something you could burn out in a short time. It appears, if the suit is correct, they had a manufacturing problem though. And if that is the case, there should have been a recall and a fix with no hassle. To that regard, I am a little disappointed with Hyundai. When you look on the Net for other suits though you realize people have problems with every car company it seems. I don't know these days if any car is perfect or any company is 100% easy to deal with.

The warranty is posted on the website, which is a good thing. So people can see what items may in fact NOT be included. Like a battery may be say 3 yrs.

If you ever find a good dealership, that is a blessing. A good salesman, dealership and car, priceless :)
    I owned a Toyota bought from a gem of a salesman, good dealership, and the car ran with little fixing - priceless :shades:
    -Loren
  • deangarrisdeangarris Member Posts: 5
    BUYER BEWARE!! I have a 2003 Tiburon and have had nothing but problems. I have replaced the clutch & flywheel with after market parts because the dual-mast flywheel that is standard in these cars is defective, I have had to replace the transmission and now I believe the starter has just bit the dust, this is of course after I have had problems with the sunroof, power windows & brakes... AND this is all under 60,000 miles. This is the absolute worst car purchase I have ever made. I will never buy a Hyundai again! The service dealerships (I have been to 3 now) are inept and apparently noone knows how to fix these cars to make them last more than a month without something else breaking. BUYER BEWARE!!
    The 2003 model did have a problem cooked into the car in respect to the clutch. Not familiar with the windows and brakes problems. I would never buy a sunroof.

Is there another dealership which could do the work?

Did they pay anything on the clutch problem? Are you in on the class action lawsuit on this issue?

In reading all the posts of various forums on cars, you learn that every model seems to have some lemons. I know it doesn't help your pain too much to know you are not alone, but it sure does happen to all the makes. Hope that Hyundai area rep. can help you in some way. Have you tried to talk things over with them?
    -Loren
  • automoto1automoto1 Member Posts: 2
  • automoto1automoto1 Member Posts: 2
    What is the top speed of the '03 Tiburon 2.0L 4-cyl.? If it is limited, what is it unlimited?

I'd greatly appreciate the info because I want to know the potential of my car. I am not supposed to race it so I was certain someone here could give me the answer since someone here has bound to have found out.
    How much more advantage does the 6-spd SE V6 have on the 4-cly 5 spd.?
  • cfbd1273cfbd1273 Member Posts: 18
    its around 133 134 mph. car is very scary at that speed be carefull!!!!
  • deangarrisdeangarris Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. I tried the Hyundai area reps, they basically said I was at the mercy of the dealerships.
    You may want to try doing a search on the Internet for the known problem, then print out say five separate pages of this, then have a face to face with the Hyundai rep. Can not believe a company wanting to escape the bad reputation of its past would challenge this issue. Now legally, IF there is no design flaw, they are off the hook to repair manual transmission pads / normal wearable parts. On the Internet, there is plenty data showing a defective part was used. All too common are cases where the companies drag their feet, trying not to have the expense of a mass recall.

You may also try a letter to corporate headquarters. Explain how they now have the opportunity to save a customer by replacing a faulty part, rather than driving one away. Word of mouth is a more powerful tool than ever in the age of Internet. (Do not point that out to corporations, by-the-way) They have lawyers which can spin this to mean you are engaged in corporate bashing on the Net. Just tell them, you wanted to start a good relationship with them, as does the whole family and friends. The more people they dis, the multiplying effect becomes somewhat of a cancer, like the Big Three in America have to deal with now, after years of screwing customers.
    -Loren
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    Word of mouth IS very powerful. Just today, the guy that sits next to me has been bashing Hyundai to others on the phone and in the hall. His son had bought a used one-year old Tiburon about two months ago, and has already had to put over $2,400 into repairs. First the transmission went out within a few days of buying the car. Then other problems started showing up. His story has been one of NO coorporation from Hyundai Reps, and incompetent Hyundai dealerships and mechanics. He said it took two weeks to get in some parts for the tranny repair. I am seriously considering buying my first Hyundai, but these stories really concern me. Especially afer all the frustration and headaches I've been thru in the past with Chrysler and Chevy with a few previous cars I've owned and currently own. I just want a car and dealership that is reliable and competent.
    My Chrysler dealership has been OK service wise, so far. I must say it took weeks to get a new fan, BUT it was not a totally broken one, so I was on the slow list - no doubt. It was just a bit noisy. So far Chrysler PT and back in early 90's the Stealth/Mitsu.Dodge car are my only two dealings with Chrysler. Not bad. Really liked my Toyota dealership experience. You typically do not see them too often as seldom do you have a problem. But when I did they had the part soon and fixed it on time.

I too am always looking for the next thing to buy and what is the best overall deal. Yeap, you get the dealership in with the deal. Especially when the car has problems, like the GM cars did back when..... hopefully better now. I am even considering a Lucerne, or Cadillac used car. Looked at Monte Carlos and none seem to have side air bags. It was like old package all the way. Best deal seems to be Hyundai. Like the Tib, the Sonata and the new Azera. Now the company I have not a clue about. Short term, the cars look reliable. I do know the Tib. in 2003 had some problem areas - avoid that year. But problems with parts distribution, and dealer attitude, I am not familiar with.

I do know that in GM the Cadillac and Buick line has the best reputation. The CTS would be the most fun to own; no doubt. Long term, like the Hyundai is the BIG question. Are these cars you want to keep more than three years?
    Some GM have been good for three years, then self destruct. I think the Buick with the old V6 and the Northstar in the Caddy line are suppose to be good, as is the CTS 2.8 and 3.6 engine cars. In a couple years, a Cadillac Deville costs about the same used as a new Sonata V6 GLS. A used CTS a little more. But you get the idea. The normal Caddy owner is not going to kill one in a year or two, and is more likely to have service work done. You have a pretty prestigious car for the same price as a new V6 basic sedan. But the warranty???

Then I think of the good luck with Japan makes. Their pricing seems to run at to above the prices of the Hyundai cars with a V6 and top trim, for a basic Accord, Camry or even a Civic. Top line Civic is $20K and good ones are around $17,800. Nice cars, but you wonder about the greedy price tag. The Coupe looks cool. Actually, though not as cool as the Tiburon, it is right in there on the scale of top looks in new cars. Now do you pay $20K to $21,500 for an Accord or Camry in a four cylinder and go for reputation and resale, or do you go for the power and content of the Hyundai Sonata or even the Azera? Civic or Tiburon V6 for the same price? Good question. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan and such have had a good hold on the market, so resale is established and long term you know how they run. Do you chance buying something safe, powerful, more luxurious, with a long warranty, for less money? Or do you go back to what you know? Oh, you say what chance. Well how is the car really in several years. The engines are both brand new in the Sonata and Azera. The Tib. is a more of a known. How are the dealerships? Will the resale be better in the future?

The Tiburon is good in that there are fewer around. Most cars like the Civic are just so numerous, they are like seeing yet another refrigerator someone bought for the kitchen. The Accord has become an appliance. The Camry has a little more style. I must say the CTS was a shocker when I first saw it, and I still think it is so unique. I guess an Azera is too. Until they sell a few hundred in your city or county.

Oh BTW, the transmissions on the Hyundai appear to be the most expensive parts to replace. The suspension and such seem normal priced. Be sure you have the warranty in hand when getting a Tib. One thing good about GM and Ford is generally the parts cost less. A tranny, much less. The bad part is that they need to be replaced :P But seriously, my aunt bought a used Vic and it has served her well over time. And when the tranny finally gave up the ghost, it costs about half that of say a German or some Japan makes. Just have to be really careful which domestic car you get. Some are junk, or so blah, you wish they would die.
    -Loren
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    almost all acura cl or tl(2001-2003) had serious tranny problems. i wanted to buy a4 or 325i but chose CL just because it was supposed to be reliable. i'm glad that i have an extended warranty. if not, repair would've costed me 5-6k.

so few bad tibbies shouldn't stop you from shopping hyundai.
    Tibi is one of the top cars for reliability in its class.
    click me Lots to read and be sure to at least scroll half the way down to charts and then cars in each group which are top three.
    -Loren
  • hammondfrahammondfra Member Posts: 2
    we will edumicate the folks here. Yes there has been recalls on the Tiburon, and yes there is / was a clutch issue with the 03 (02) build tiburon. There is no denying it. You have to remember one thing, when a company issues a recal they weigh 2 factors, safety and cost of lawsuits. The clutch isn't a safety issue, and furthermore, I am at 50,000 miles on the original clutch; it still grabs strong.

Now, make up your own mind about what car you are going to buy. Hyundai has had a bad rep from the past, yes. But, they are attempting to improve it, regardless of the bad mouth it still gets. I get bashed for owning a tiburon, but it is from folks who are driving a 95 neon too. Chevy has had many recals on their cars, along with ford and chrysler, I don't see anyone talking bad about them. It is all in the manufacturing process, you have about 75 different companies (that are the lowest bidder) making your car. Like it or not, unless you spend 100K or better, expect it.

When you buy a used car and have problems like the one guys kid is experincing, this should tell ya a couple of things. The previous owner was an azz and should have never been behind the wheel of any car, and beat the hell out of it.

The tibby sales are low for many reasons, and the major one is there is very little advertising. The cars aftermarket community is all hardparts, created by many people contributing to the car, not hyundai.

Like I have stated before, do your research, and buy what tickles you fancy...who cares what others think.

Peace
  • vjp174vjp174 Member Posts: 1
    I cannot figure out how to post a message on this board so I'll try asking this. I have a 04 Tiburon and am having a problem with it. Many times when I turn the key, the vehicle does not start. It dosen't even turn over. It makes not noise, nothing. Usually after turning the key several times, or releasing and pushing the cluth back in, or taking it out of 1st, it will start. Every time I go to the dealer, it of course does not happen there and they say nothing is wrong. Has anyone else had this issue ???
  • mia13mia13 Member Posts: 6
    I've been researching the 2006 Tiburon for about 2 months. What I've learned is that about 9 out of 10 owners LOVED the car. I've researched many different sites, and the ratio is always the same. I then came to this conclusion: Since I want a sporty, 6-cylinder car, that is not too common, AFFORDABLE, and RELIABLE with a good warranty...the best choice is the Tiburon. I then went and test drove one...Absolutely LOVED it!!! Loved the power, handling, purr of the engine, and whole look of the car.

I do love the car, but I guess I'm feeling insecure and second guessing myself. I run into people who actually cringe when I mention "Hyundia". I realize they have had a bad rep because of past failures, but from what I've read and from what I've heard (from mechanics) they have definitely improved.

I am fully aware of the clutch and flywheel problem that was prominent in the 03, and also aware the Hyundai is not fully accepting responsibility for the problem (hence the pending lawsuit)which makes me apprehensive. I'm praying that this WAS a problem and that they have since corrected it.

I am very excited about picking up my car on Thursday, but at the same time, feel like I'm taking a risk. Any reassurance, advice, comment, or warning will be truly appreciated...I can still back out. Thank you!!!
    Have them check the Clutch Master Slave Cylinder. Does it feel like the clutch is engaging early on, as in you really have to have it in all the way or the clutch engages and you are in gear? That could be a sign that it is going bad. Should engage like in the last third out. There is an interrupter so that the car will not start unless the clutch is all the way in. When the slave goes bad, you can not disengage properly.

Could be the starter has a flat spot. Don't know about these fancy new cars.

Anyway look for the clutch requiring more and more to the floor before it is disengaged.

Let us know what happens in the end to this story.
    -Loren
    So you feel like a pioneer, do ya! Ah, those people that ventured into the unknown did not have a warranty in the days of the old west. All cars have risk. The Tiburon is one of three in its category for fewest problem areas according the JD Powers. I personally would consider an automatic. The clutch is not covered for normal wear. Now the 2003 had a defective assembly, and that one is something Hyundai should have covered. Lots of bad press there. Kinda like they are practicing how to be an American car company :D You will find all the car companies will not cover clutch cars for what they would call normal wear, or abuse. With an automatic, they can not say you wore it out by slipping the clutch. It is just about impossible for a car company to cove a stick for clutch wear, as you can burn one out in a day.

Enjoy the car. Let me know how the seats feel on a longer trip. Do they have lumbar support? And is it good and low on the support? Took one a short drive, but forgot how the seat support was. I did test the stick. Like the 6 sp, only slightly notchy, and pretty easy to use compared to some 6 sp. Clutch was OK. At the time I owned a Miata, so that is tough one to compare to. I would say it is good. The engine is really a nice purr, like you said, and seems relaxed on the road. Some sporty cars are too buzzy. Handling was good. Seems like a balance of grace, charm, luxury items, and lots of looks. A nice girl to have.

The best FWD test drive was in a Celica. Those are a bit buzzy, with barely enough HP. Plenty of road noise. That said, it has outstanding handling. It is like a go cart. The Tiburon is a more relaxed touring sport car. It weighs more and has all the safety goodies standard. While for sport the Celica is great, I think you may like the heavier if you compete for the roadway space with SUVs and trucks. In the looks department, no other car in its class compares. She is the beauty winner. Even the interior looks richer.

I would think over the automatic vs. stick, if warranty is a consideration. And also think of what other car would fit you as well, if any. Look at each element of a car and compare them. Weigh by what is most important to you. And beware of buy and then selling soon. For Hyundai to be the best deal, we are talking buy and hold. Be sure to pay cash. Do not make banks money and assume debt for anything which does not appreciate in value. Always check the insurance cost before buying a car. If too high for you, a Mazda6 may be something less expensive to insure. Maybe an Altima. The Monte Carlo is low insurance, but yeah, I know, it may not be your cup 'o tea.

Some links:
    link one
    link two

Let me know how ya like the car. Oh yeah, and the dealership. Remember they are part of the deal too.
    -Loren
    Did anyone test drive a Mustang V6 and a Tiburon V6. How would you compare these 2005 or 05 cars? Would love to hear your take on how the two compare in your opinion. The pros had their say, what say you?

-Loren
    Well what happened-bought the car? :confuse: Three days latter and no reply. :( Will we ever know how the car is, if it was indeed purchased, or whatever....
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Just yesterday I was having a little maintenance done on my Elantra and asked a top line mechanic that I trust what the story was on the dual disc clutch in the Tiburon V6. His dealership has sold and serviced a good sampling of these and his observation was interesting. First off, they have only seen a small percentage with clutch failure. More interesting, almost all that they have seen came in with modified air intakes, lowered suspension, aftermarket wheels, etc. While none of these items void the warranty, they do give insight to how the car is treated. His technical comment was that the clutch set up in a Tib is designed for road racing, not straight line drag racing. They have several customers who have set up Tib for rally driving and not one of them has experienced a clutch failure with the original design.

He also noted that some of the customers who blew clutches had come out of Camaros and Mustangs.

Now, I trust this guy, he will call a bad design when he sees one, but his word was that FOR THEIR DEALERSHIP almost all of the clutch failures they had seen were abuse related.

This is a good dealership, too. I was in for an oil change and saw an Elantra with the engine torn down. If you know anything about Elantra 2.0L you know that this is not common. The young person driving the car didn't notice when the temp gauge pegged, the CES came on, the steam started blowing out of the hood (the engine got so hot the radiator literally melted. I saw it and couldn't believe it). She finally pulled over when the engine seized. The car had 59K miles on it and the thermostat had stuck. The antifreeze had never been changed. They were still trying to get Hyundai to cover at least part of the repair bill even though this was an obvious negligence issue on the part of the owner.

I only mention this to give insight into the integrity and quality of this dealer.
    Wow, I had a thermostat stick on my Dodge Stealth, a little over a decade ago. I wouldn't say the anti-freeze is all that old, but yeah, when the light comes on, stop what you are doing, as in whoa! Those little, what use to be $30, thermostats can go and do havoc to an engine. Many years ago, I heard of a girl that was given a Shelby - yes a real Mustang back in the 60's, and was driving it when the red light come on and said HOT. She got scared and tried to get right home. End of Shelby engine!

Thanks for the report on the Tiburon clutch thing, and the dealerships. Consumer Guide said they are looking into problems with the automatics shifting irregular on the 2003. Seems like most complaints are centered around this year. The clutch thing, I don't know. Yes, it is entirely possible hard use would be the only problem, but it is kinda strange it centered mostly around the 2003 year. This one, as quoted from ConsumersGuide-- 2005: Threaded portions of steering gearbox inner ball joint assemblies may contain internal cracks; breakage would lead to loss of steering control of one wheel, whose tie rod assembly would no longer be attached. --is a little scary :surprise:

For the most part, I think the Tiburon would be a solid car. Every car has an issue here or there, and a recall at some time. It is now one of the top three in JD Powers Initial Quality in its grouping.

It is so hard to find anything in a sporty coupe. What is left? Is the tC Scion a sport coupe, or a somewhat conservative, pleasing coupe. The Celica had the zip, both in style and handling. It is like only the Tib remains. If my back can take the punishment, I may get on some day. Not sure about the entry/exit and if there is enough lumbar support. Got to check those seats again.
    -Loren
    In my humble opinion, any sports car should be driven by the rear wheels, not the front! I grew up in the era of Healeys, MG, Datsun 240Z, and the big iron (Camaro, Roadrunner, Charger, Mustang, 'Vette) and have never found a true high performance coupe with FWD. Just my driving style, I guess, but I don't like the power and steering both coming from the same end of the car. :D
    There are simply no choices left. There is the Mustang, if you like those. Was considering the 2004 model - not bad. I had a Miata, which is excellent for handling, yet kinda small. I leave the car outside, and prefer a hardtop. The 240SX is gone. Yeah, I use to like the Z, and would buy a new 300Z if it was around $21K. The new 350Z has those tiny windows and you feel confined. Then it had the tire wear issues, and the price is a bit much. Never owned a British car, but then again, I want a clean driveway, less the oil. ;)

A Corvette is nice, yet they do need repairs from time to time, at great expence. The Tiburon is pretty good handling - GT class, as is touring. The Celica test drive I took, some time back, had the feel of a RWD -- almost.

New Tiburon to be RWD?
    -Loren
    According to my contacts, Hyundai is looking to take the Tiburon into a new class of performance. RWD, V8 engine, tubular chassis. They are looking for something to compete against the 350Z and Supra markets. I hope they don't shoot for the Vette as that is a whole 'nother class. Though many may not care for it, the Corvette is still the biggest bang for the buck in the ultra high performance market, in my opinion. You can get a higher performance street car, but not in the $50K range.
    Tiburon should stay in the under $21K range. It is OK if it stays FWD to conserve build costs. Needs the 3.3 V6, and better gas mileage. Now a RWD to compete one on one with the Stang, would be cool. Sort of a modern day Celica of RWD era. Heck, a bigger 4 banger for $19K and the V6 at $21k would be awesome. There just ain't much out there. If you want replica or retro, there may be more on the way. I personally have been there - done that, as in seeing the real car in the showrooms as a kid. If Hyundai continues steady, and on course with cool new looks, like the Tiburon, and advertise it more, it will sell. Up the HP, up the advertising, and NOT lower prices. Oh yeah, parts - more aftermarket stuff and maybe sponsor car clubs. Energy -- the sporty cars need energy. IF they do like GM and let the Camaro just die a slow death, then they have done a dis-service to a really cool design. This upscale push, like the Azera, may be a bit too soon. Always walk before running. Same with the sports cars. Perfect the Tiburon. Or at the very least, keep a lower priced one for kids, 20 to 80 years old --I'm in da middle. :shades: Loren
    My guy says for sure they are dropping the 2.7L and going with more power. What a lot of folks don't realize is that Hyundai has a huge parts bin to pull from, not just what we see here in the states. If you can muddle through the Korean, go to their native web site and you will see what I mean.

Don't forget, these guys build everything from ocean going oil tankers to computer monitors!